Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--42--Tradition  (Read 24127 times)

Beacon

Re: The Desire of Ages--42--Tradition
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2019, 11:48:25 AM »
"The substitution of the precepts of men for the commandments of God has not ceased. Even among Christians are found institutions and usages that have no better foundation than the traditions of the fathers. Such institutions, resting upon mere human authority, have supplanted those of divine appointment. Men cling to their traditions, and revere their customs, and cherish hatred against those who seek to show them their error. In this day, when we are bidden to call attention to the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus, we see the same enmity as was manifested in the days of Christ. Of the remnant people of God it is written, "The dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ." Revelation 12:17[/color].[/color]

Are you , Am I , ready for this testing time which will come to all of God's people in the near future. Oh my brothers and sister, let us say with the Psalmist David written in Psalms 139..."  23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

"The testing time will come to all, when the hopes of many who have for years thought themselves secure, will be seen to be without foundation. When in new positions, under varied circumstances, some who have seemed to be pillars in the house of God reveal only rotten timber beneath the paint and varnish. But the humble in heart, who have daily felt the importance of riveting their souls to the eternal Rock, will stand unmoved amid the tempests of trial, because they trusted not to themselves. “The foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his” (2 Timothy 2:19). {SL 12.1

Look up and listen for the shout.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2019, 05:28:09 AM »
Jesus made no attempt to defend Himself or His disciples. He made no reference to the charges against Him, but proceeded to show the spirit that actuated these sticklers for human rites. He gave them an example of what they were repeatedly doing, and had done just before coming in search of Him.

This is something that I need to be reminded of often. It was a rarity (maybe never) that Jesus answered people's objections and stated errors. He just kept on proclaiming truth. Maybe because He knew the heart? Sometimes I find it hard to keep away from the thought process that if I can only answer their objection they will change their mind(s). However, as we read through the gospel we know this normally isn't true. The objectors usually will just bring another argument so you're left going in circles and accomplishing little. The only time when this probably isn't the case is when someone is truly searching for truth and their questions are answered they accept it.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2019, 06:06:04 AM »
Amen Jim. We ought not be so concerned with those who want to argue. Jesus sought out those who were seeking the truth. Those whose hearts were open to the truth He labored with. The woman at the well, Nicodemus, and His disciples are good examples. He did not speak in parables to His disciples. When met with "wolves" in sheep's clothing, He did not argue on their terms, but left them utterly without words to speak. Eventually they ceased discussions with Him for they knew they would be confounded.

Today's reading is a condemnation of the ways of man, traditions which are so highly valued by many in the church. We might not think this is in our church, but it is. We have an "Adventist" culture which is alive and well. An example can be seen in the fact that we are "vegetarians." For what reason? It is a tradition. When many are shown that milk and dairy transmit animal diseases to humans, even cancer, these "Adventists" refuse to accept the truth, but continue on not eating meat, especially pig. When quoted scientific studies, and Spirit of Prophecy concerning the subject, they reject the truth but continue being "Adventist" vegetarians. We see this at the highest levels in the church, even with the leaders in health ministries.

But "every plant, which My heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up." In place of the authority of the so-called fathers of the church, God bids us accept the word of the eternal Father, the Lord of heaven and earth. Here alone is truth unmixed with error. David said, "I have more understanding than all my teachers: for Thy testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep Thy precepts." Psalm 119:99, 100. Let all who accept human authority, the customs of the church, or the traditions of the fathers, take heed to the warning conveyed in the words of Christ, "In vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men."

Such a blessing to understand.

Such institutions, resting upon mere human authority, have supplanted those of divine appointment. Men cling to their traditions, and revere their customs, and cherish hatred against those who seek to show them their error.

Jesus and His followers experience this.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2019, 06:23:51 AM »
"Whenever the message of truth comes home to souls with special power, Satan stirs up his agents to start a dispute over some minor question. Thus he seeks to attract attention from the real issue. Whenever a good work is begun, there are cavilers ready to enter into dispute over forms or technicalities, to draw minds away from the living realities. When it appears that God is about to work in a special manner for His people, let them not be enticed into a controversy that will work only ruin of souls."

Brothers and Sisters - Do not be distracted by the enemy. Our church today is facing a huge undermining of true Bible Interpretation. Cling to your Bibles. Pray and study as never before! Our enemy is going about as a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour.  He will succeed "only " if we neglect to read God's Holy Word and His special gift for this time through the Spirit of Prophecy. God says... " My people perish for a lack of knowledge." Hosea 4:6 

"The questions that most concern us are, Do I believe with saving faith on the Son of God? Is my life in harmony with the divine law? "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life." "And hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments." John 3:36; 1 John 2:3.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2019, 07:58:55 AM »
Amen, Jim, Richard, and Beacon!

We are not sent into the world to combat everyone's false ideas, but to present the truth as it is in Jesus, knowing that the most effective way to deal with error is to plant truth. May we also be refreshed and encouraged by Jesus' manner of dealing with controversy--in that rather than enter into it, He kept presenting eternal truth that would show the inconsistency of error. So today, even in God's church, when there are so many who preach false gospels--and there are so many--we might think it necessary to combat every nuance of error and inconsistency. How? By presenting the Bible's plain teaching on the sinfulness of humanity and our utter need of conversion, the power of grace to change sinners into saints by renewing the heart and mind, and the resulting transformation manifest in the revelation of the fruits of the Spirit being in the life without one missing, we can be thankful that when truth is clearly revealed, the errors do not harmonize with the everlasting gospel. Jesus has sent us to uplift the cross and to proclaim real righteousness by real faith. May we not get side-tracked by trying to defend ourselves. I am thankful for Jesus' perfect example!

"Jesus made no attempt to defend Himself or His disciples. He made no reference to the charges against Him, but proceeded to show the spirit that actuated these sticklers for human rites. He gave them an example of what they were repeatedly doing, and had done just before coming in search of Him. 'Full well ye reject the commandment of God,' He said, 'that ye may keep your own tradition. For Moses said, Honor thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death: but ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free. And ye suffer him no more to do aught for his father or his mother.' They set aside the fifth commandment as of no consequence, but were very exact in carrying out the traditions of the elders. They taught the people that the devotion of their property to the temple was a duty more sacred than even the support of their parents; and that, however great the necessity, it was sacrilege to impart to father or mother any part of what had been thus consecrated. An undutiful child had only to pronounce the word "Corban" over his property, thus devoting it to God, and he could retain it for his own use during his lifetime, and after his death it was to be appropriated to the temple service. Thus he was at liberty, both in life and in death, to dishonor and defraud his parents, under cover of a pretended devotion to God." {The Desire of Ages, page 396, paragraph 4} 

Every false principle wars against the unselfish love to God and to our neighbor manifest in Christ's everlasting gospel. When we are seeking not to evade responsibility or the searching conviction of the Holy Spirit who shows us our sinfulness and our deep need of repentance, we can be thankful that Christ came not to condemn, but to save and to help us see our constant need of union and communion with Him!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2019, 08:15:53 AM »
Amen, Jim, Richard, and Beacon!

We are not sent into the world to combat everyone's false ideas, but to present the truth as it is in Jesus, knowing that the most effective way to deal with error is to plant truth. May we also be refreshed and encouraged by Jesus' manner of dealing with controversy--in that rather than enter into it, He kept presenting eternal truth that would show the inconsistency of error.

Amen Pastor. I am so thankful for Jesus's example. If left to my own wisdom I would do it all wrong. In walking with Jesus each day He keeps us on the straight and narrow road. Words and actions come from the attitude of the heart and that's were the Pharisees, priests and rulers erred and we will too if we are not spending that thoughtful hour each and every day with Christ.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2019, 07:07:01 PM »
"Whenever the message of truth comes home to souls with special power, Satan stirs up his agents to start a dispute over some minor question. Thus he seeks to attract attention from the real issue. Whenever a good work is begun, there are cavilers ready to enter into dispute over forms or technicalities, to draw minds away from the living realities. When it appears that God is about to work in a special manner for His people, let them not be enticed into a controversy that will work only ruin of souls."

"The questions that most concern us are, Do I believe with saving faith on the Son of God? Is my life in harmony with the divine law? "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life." "And hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments." John 3:36; 1 John 2:3.

Looking unto Jesus, we must keep our eyes fixed upon Him, remembering what happened to Peter when he took his eyes off Jesus while walking on the water on the Sea of Galilee and he looked at the huge waves. The following verses help to remind us of where our courage and comfort are found.

John 13:17
If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.

1 Peter 3:14
But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled.

1 Peter 4:14
If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.

Dorine

« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2019, 06:31:23 AM »
"To the multitude, and afterward more fully to His disciples, Jesus explained that defilement comes not from without, but from within. Purity and impurity pertain to the soul. It is the evil deed, the evil word, the evil thought, the transgression of the law of God, not the neglect of external, man-made ceremonies, that defiles a man."

This may not be comparing apples to apples but I was thinking that the opposite is also true. If we are using methods and new ideas to bring peace and satisfaction to our soul then we will be left empty. The reason I say this is because every time new officers are elected (in our area) they have a new idea of how to bring more people into the church and to have the outpouring of the Holy Spirit. Each method fails. I've had discussions with some who 'by-pass' the suggestion that it starts with an individual surrender of the heart to Christ.  They make the 'methods' (which is without) more important than what is 'within'. (pure deeds, pure words, pure thoughts which is a result of a complete surrender to Jesus)

We need heart transplants each and every day and instead of  taking on the job of the Holy Spirit we need to open our hearts and let Him in so He may change our hearts and if we are planting the seeds then we can trust Him to do the harvesting.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2019, 09:35:32 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!

Jesus longs to create pure hearts in us, and He has promised to do this if we will simply receive His promises by faith (see Ezekiel 36:26 and 2 Peter 1:4). The simplicity of the gospel helps us to walk securely in new situations and to help the church to truly grow in spiritual life by having Christ in us, the hope of glory! May we not be distracted by minor questions when Christ desires us to know Him in whom is eternal life!

"Whenever the message of truth comes home to souls with special power, Satan stirs up his agents to start a dispute over some minor question. Thus he seeks to attract attention from the real issue. Whenever a good work is begun, there are cavilers ready to enter into dispute over forms or technicalities, to draw minds away from the living realities. When it appears that God is about to work in a special manner for His people, let them not be enticed into a controversy that will work only ruin of souls. The questions that most concern us are, Do I believe with saving faith on the Son of God? Is my life in harmony with the divine law? 'He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life.' 'And hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.' John 3:36; 1 John 2:3." {The Desire of Ages, page 396, paragraph 3}

Satan knows that if he cannot get us to go directly in to sin, that he can try a method of dictation or diversion. But here is where we need to watch and pray that we will abide in Christ and not be diverted from the things that are truly important--of knowing Christ and having a continual surrender to Him by living faith so that all of the fruits of the Spirit are manifest in our lives without one missing!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2019, 09:37:43 PM »
Again, what a blessing to read the blessings all are receiving daily as the Holy Spirit touches our hearts with such important truths!

This morning I was so very blessed to understand that God has things under His control. When we see the apostasy in the church and her institutions, we sorrow. But, we need not think that this will go on forever.

He answered, "Every plant, which My heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up." The customs and traditions so highly valued by the rabbis were of this world, not from heaven. However great their authority with the people, they could not endure the testing of God. Every human invention that has been substituted for the commandments of God will be found worthless in that day when "God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil." Ecclesiastes 12:14.
     The substitution of the precepts of men for the commandments of God has not ceased. Even among Christians are found institutions and usages that have no better foundation than the traditions of the fathers. Such institutions, resting upon mere human authority, have supplanted those of divine appointment. Men cling to their traditions, and revere their customs, and cherish hatred against those who seek to show them their error. In this day, when we are bidden to call attention to the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus, we see the same enmity as was manifested in the days of Christ. Of the remnant people of God it is written, "The dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ." Revelation 12:17.
     But "every plant, which My heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up." In place of the authority of the so-called fathers of the church, God bids us accept the word of the eternal Father, the Lord of heaven and earth. Here alone is truth unmixed with error. David said, "I have more understanding than all my teachers: for Thy testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep Thy precepts." Psalm 119:99, 100. Let all who accept human authority, the customs of the church, or the traditions of the fathers, take heed to the warning conveyed in the words of Christ, "In vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men."

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2019, 06:28:09 PM »
"In this day, when we are bidden to call attention to the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus, we see the same enmity as was manifested in the days of Christ. Of the remnant people of God it is written."

"The dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ." Revelation 12:17.

"But "every plant, which My heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up." In place of the authority of the so-called fathers of the church, God bids us accept the Word of the eternal Father, the Lord of heaven and earth. Here alone is truth unmixed with error."

Let all who accept human authority, the customs of the church, or the traditions of the fathers, take heed to the warning conveyed in the words of Christ, Mathew 15:9 says... "In vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men."

Jesus said in Psalm 119:11 "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee."

My brothers and sisters in Jesus.....Let us cling to the inspired words as recorded in our Holy Bible. There are many voices claiming to have "New Light"  but our only surety can be found in the instruction given through the Holy Spirit to God's servants both in the Old and the New Testament.  God's promise to us is this as found in.... Matthew 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2019, 03:31:07 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! Happy Sabbath!! Praise the Lord, for He is good, and His word is our only safe foundation as a revelation of true character--the character of Christ by which we see God's grace and may overcome every defect in our characters!

"But 'every plant, which My heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.' In place of the authority of the so-called fathers of the church, God bids us accept the word of the eternal Father, the Lord of heaven and earth. Here alone is truth unmixed with error. David said, 'I have more understanding than all my teachers: for Thy testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep Thy precepts.' Psalm 119:99, 100. Let all who accept human authority, the customs of the church, or the traditions of the fathers, take heed to the warning conveyed in the words of Christ, 'In vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.'" {The Desire of Ages, page 398, paragraph 4}

Let us depend upon Jesus to uproot anything from our characters that is not of Him, and follow the humble steps He took in pleasing the Father, as He lived by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God. In Christ is our only safety against the unhallowed effects of self-love, self-indulgence, and temptation to sin. In Christ is complete healing for body, mind and soul as we appropriate His merits to our life experience, yielding the whole heart to Christ to cleanse and purify!   

Dorine

« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2019, 05:46:26 AM »
.....God bids us accept the word of the eternal Father, the Lord of heaven and earth. Here alone is truth unmixed with error. David said, "I have more understanding than all my teachers: for Thy testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep Thy precepts." Psalm 119:99, 100. Let all who accept human authority, the customs of the church, or the traditions of the fathers, take heed to the warning conveyed in the words of Christ, "In vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men."

When we are confronted by those who say "I have my interpretation of scripture and you have yours" we can know that they do not know what they are talking about. It's not man's interpretation of the bible that decides what is truth and error but the bible interprets itself. When our hearts are open to truth we will be guided by the Holy Spirit into all truth. Not just some of the truth or even most of the truth but all truth.

We are living in very interesting times. Never through out my life time did we face the spurious teachings that we now have. Our only safety is in the study of the scriptures and the SOP. Comparing scripture with scripture and reading each in their context. Isaiah 8:20 says...."To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them." As we spend time each day with Jesus, beholding His beauty and being changed into His character, the scriptures will speak loudly and plainly to us so that we will know like David that we have more understanding than all those that are proclaiming their own understanding and theories of scripture.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2019, 06:53:08 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine!!

The simplicity of the gospel and having a true conversion is the great focus of the Bible. Let us keep our true focus on Jesus—the way the Scripture interprets itself!

“Whenever the message of truth comes home to souls with special power, Satan stirs up his agents to start a dispute over some minor question. Thus he seeks to attract attention from the real issue. Whenever a good work is begun, there are cavilers ready to enter into dispute over forms or technicalities, to draw minds away from the living realities. When it appears that God is about to work in a special manner for His people, let them not be enticed into a controversy that will work only ruin of souls. The questions that most concern us are, Do I believe with saving faith on the Son of God? Is my life in harmony with the divine law? ‘He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life.’ ‘And hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.’ John 3:36; 1 John 2:3.” {The Desire of Ages, page 396, paragraph 3}

The evidence of truly believing on the Son of God is that the Holy Spirit imbues our lives with all of the fruits of the Spirit so that not one is missing. The same Holy Spirit who lives in us in true conversion always leads us to wholeheartedly obey all of the Ten Commandments out of a true appreciation of Christ’s character!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2019, 02:52:54 PM »
Amen Pastor Sean. If we love Jesus supremely, there is a difference in character. The Holy Spirit takes possession of the heart and empowers repent sinners to reveal love, joy, and peace that passeth all understanding. Do we look to books written by erring man, or are we in love with Bible truth? If we continue to spend time reading what man writes, the chances are really good that we shall be deceived. In His church today are many who are teaching error because they were taught error.

The substitution of the precepts of men for the commandments of God has not ceased. Even among Christians are found institutions and usages that have no better foundation than the traditions of the fathers. Such institutions, resting upon mere human authority, have supplanted those of divine appointment. Men cling to their traditions, and revere their customs, and cherish hatred against those who seek to show them their error. In this day, when we are bidden to call attention to the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus, we see the same enmity as was manifested in the days of Christ. Of the remnant people of God it is written, "The dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ." Revelation 12:17.

Beacon

« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2020, 06:15:18 PM »
"Never can the cost of our redemption be realized until the redeemed shall stand with the Redeemer before the throne of God. Then as the glories of the eternal home burst upon our enraptured senses we shall remember that Jesus left all this for us, that He not only became an exile from the heavenly courts, but for us took the risk of failure and eternal loss. Then we shall cast our crowns at His feet, and raise the song,"

'Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honor, and glory, and blessing." Rev. 5:12."

"It would be well for us to spend a thoughtful hour each day in contemplation of the life of Christ. We should take it point by point, and let the imagination grasp each scene, especially the closing ones. As we thus dwell upon His great sacrifice for us, our confidence in Him will be more constant, our love will be quickened, and we shall be more deeply imbued with His spirit. If we would be saved at last, we must learn the lesson of penitence and humiliation at the foot of the cross."

" Take time to be holy, speak oft with thy Lord; Abide in Him always, and feed on His Word. Make friends of God’s children, help those who are weak, Forgetting in nothing His blessing to seek.( SDA Hymnal Page.500 )

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2020, 05:10:43 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! Thank you for sharing those paragraphs from The Desire of Ages, page 131, paragraph 2 and The Desire of Ages, page 83, paragraph 4! What encouraging truth we find throughout this beautiful book to help us turn our thoughts for Christ above tradition!!

What God plants will last for eternity. What man attempts to do in opposition to God's word will pass away, like chaff to the wheat. May we choose daily to have our characters firmly established upon the word of God, so that in beholding Jesus in His loveliness, yielding the whole heart to Him, and abiding in His Spirit, He may manifest through us all of the fruits of His Spirit without one missing and a revelation of a life that is in harmony with His law of love. Only as we prioritize that which is spiritual and eternal will we find the true peace that passes understanding and be given wisdom to navigate through the storms of life where tradition in many instances supplants the word of God. God's word is a safe foundation!! Build on Jesus, the Rock, the Word!!

"He answered, 'Every plant, which My heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.' The customs and traditions so highly valued by the rabbis were of this world, not from heaven. However great their authority with the people, they could not endure the testing of God. Every human invention that has been substituted for the commandments of God will be found worthless in that day when 'God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.' Ecclesiastes 12:14." {The Desire of Ages, page 398, paragraph 2}

Those who are abiding in Jesus when the time of trouble comes, though it will be a very trying ordeal, need not be living in fear, because they have chosen to have a character established in harmony with God's word and have allowed the Holy Spirit to lead them step by step. Let us keep walking in the path the word has revealed, and not in the mazes of tradition that lead to confusion and death.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2020, 10:53:24 PM »
Amen Pastor Sean. A little time of trouble has come upon the whole world "suddenly." The world will know there is a God in heaven when they see a reflection of Him in human flesh today When things are going well Christian character can be seen, but when great trouble comes then there is a very clear difference seen between those who love Jesus and those who do not. Those who reject God will be angry when they are seen to be false teachers.

The disciples noted the rage of the spies as their false teaching was exposed. They saw the angry looks, and heard the half-muttered words of dissatisfaction and revenge. Forgetting how often Christ had given evidence that He read the heart as an open book, they told Him of the effect of His words. Hoping that He might conciliate the enraged officials, they said to Jesus, "Knowest Thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying?"
     He answered, "Every plant, which My heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up." The customs and traditions so highly valued by the rabbis were of this world, not from heaven. However great their authority with the people, they could not endure the testing of God. Every human invention that has been substituted for the commandments of God will be found worthless in that day when "God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil." Ecclesiastes 12:14.

Dorine

« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2020, 05:47:52 AM »
  "He answered, "Every plant, which My heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up." The customs and traditions so highly valued by the rabbis were of this world, not from heaven. However great their authority with the people, they could not endure the testing of God. Every human invention that has been substituted for the commandments of God will be found worthless in that day when "God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil." Ecclesiastes 12:14."

God is preparing a people for His soon coming. He will do whatever is possible to wake us up. I want to obey willingly and cheerfully for He loves me and knows what is best for me. If my habits are in contradiction to God's commandments then I'm in a serious condition. There is still time to give our all to Him but time is running out. We need to be spending more time in prayer and the study of God's word. May God help us look to Him and live.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2020, 05:13:59 AM »
Let us not become distracted from Jesus Christ and Him crucified. He is coming again in power and great glory, and He is preparing His people for the trials ahead. As we spend time in union and communion with Christ, we find great love, joy and peace (and all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing) as we learn to abide in Christ continually! Total surrender is the place of complete healing rest and strength to overcome what the enemy has intended in our lives for evil. But as we submit all we have and are to Christ, He helps us rise above tradition and learn to walk in the freedom of total surrendered obedience to His word, which shall never pass away!

"Heaven and earth shall pass away, but My words shall not pass away" (Matthew 24:35). It is so worth it to make our focus Christ and His word, where beholding His loveliness of character we become changed into His image by the Holy Spirit!

"Whenever the message of truth comes home to souls with special power, Satan stirs up his agents to start a dispute over some minor question. Thus he seeks to attract attention from the real issue. Whenever a good work is begun, there are cavilers ready to enter into dispute over forms or technicalities, to draw minds away from the living realities. When it appears that God is about to work in a special manner for His people, let them not be enticed into a controversy that will work only ruin of souls. The questions that most concern us are, Do I believe with saving faith on the Son of God? Is my life in harmony with the divine law? 'He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life.' 'And hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.' John 3:36; 1 John 2:3." {The Desire of Ages, page 396, paragraph 3}