Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--18--"He Must Increase"  (Read 17897 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--18--"He Must Increase"
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2020, 04:44:40 AM »
May we also look to Jesus in faith the way John the Baptist did!

"Looking in faith to the Redeemer, John had risen to the height of self-abnegation. He sought not to attract men to himself, but to lift their thoughts higher and still higher, until they should rest upon the Lamb of God. He himself had been only a voice, a cry in the wilderness. Now with joy he accepted silence and obscurity, that the eyes of all might be turned to the Light of life." {The Desire of Ages, page 179, paragraph 4}

May God bless you as you fix your focus on Christ and let Him give you His grace for this day! As Jesus abides in our hearts, He imparts to us all of the Holy Spirit’s character traits, so that we rejoice in His gentleness and meekness! “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law” (Galatians 5:22-23). Not one of these precious fruits of the Holy Spirit will be lacking in our Christian experience as we keep our eyes steadfastly fixed upon Christ in continual surrender of our whole heart to Him!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2020, 04:08:06 PM »
"The work of God is not to bear the image and superscription of man. From time to time the Lord will bring in different agencies, through whom His purpose can best be accomplished. Happy are they who are willing for self to be humbled, saying with John the Baptist, "He must increase, but I must decrease."

Let us remember the prayer of David as he said in...

"Psalm 51:9-11 -- "Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me."

Let us be humble ,my brother's and sister's and keep our focus on Jesus. Human pride has no place in the work of God! Many have gone astray over this problem and brought disgrace and shame to themselves and to Jesus. I pray that you and I will not be one of them .
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2020, 07:20:53 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! Let us keep our focus on Jesus, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world. Our part, though small, is to behold Him in HIs loveliness and yield the entire heart to Him! Then we will be glad to say with John the Baptist, "He must increase, but I must decrease" (John 3:30).

"Looking in faith to the Redeemer, John had risen to the height of self-abnegation. He sought not to attract men to himself, but to lift their thoughts higher and still higher, until they should rest upon the Lamb of God. He himself had been only a voice, a cry in the wilderness. Now with joy he accepted silence and obscurity, that the eyes of all might be turned to the Light of life." {The Desire of Ages, page 179, paragraph 4}

May this day be filled with the joy of self-abnegation--letting God direct your steps and guide you in His selflessness. Only in perfect acquiescence is perfect rest. Then all of the fruits of the Sprite flow spontaneously from a life that is in union and communion with Christ!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2020, 03:38:48 PM »
Amen Brother Beacon and Pastor Sean!  We are blessed to have a part in finishing the work so Jesus can come! We have a message to take to the whole world, the gospel of grace. Does it make a difference who it comes from? No, it is the grace of Christ that transforms sinners into saints!! It is our privilege to share this truth with all who will listen!

The disciples of John had declared that all men were coming to Christ; but with clearer insight, John said, "No man receiveth His witness;" so few were ready to accept Him as the Saviour from sin. But "he that hath received His witness hath set his seal to this, that God is true." John 3:33, R. V. "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life." No need of disputation as to whether Christ's baptism or John's purified from sin. It is the grace of Christ that gives life to the soul. Apart from Christ, baptism, like any other service, is a worthless form. "He that believeth not the Son shall not see life." 

There are many in the world today who are fearful of dying from the silent killer that is staking the world. Many would like to have the peace that passes all understanding no matter what is happening in the world. Tell the world about our God and what He has done for you!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2020, 04:46:45 AM »
"The soul of the prophet, emptied of self, was filled with the light of the divine. As he witnessed to the Saviour's glory, his words were almost a counterpart of those that Christ Himself had spoken in His interview with Nicodemus. John said, "He that cometh from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaketh of the earth: He that cometh from heaven is above all. . . . For He whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto Him." Christ could say, "I seek not Mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent Me." John 5:30.

....So with the followers of Christ. We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We cannot discern the character of God, or accept Christ by faith, unless we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. To all who do this the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily, and in Him ye are made full." Colossians 2:9, 10, R. V.   

When the Holy Spirit was able to penetrate my heart and show me the danger of letting my thoughts and imaginations run at random I was like a  bird set free. When we are harassed by evil negative thoughts we can continually turn them into prayers for help and the grace of God will give such sweet peace as we witness Him changing our whole attitude from the earthly things that annoy and frustrate to the heavenly things that inspire, uplift, heal and empower us to live for Jesus and for others.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Dorine

« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2020, 05:53:38 AM »
"Those who are true to their calling as messengers for God will not seek honor for themselves. Love for self will be swallowed up in love for Christ. No rivalry will mar the precious cause of the gospel. They will recognize that it is their work to proclaim, as did John the Baptist, "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29. They will lift up Jesus, and with Him humanity will be lifted up. "Thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones." Isaiah 57:15.

And what a blessing it is to recognize in our teachers and leaders the spirit of Jesus. Christ will be in the center of every message. Nothing will draw attention to themselves except their great love and devotion to Him. The life will reveal the fruit of the Spirit and souls will be drawn to the Saviour. The same should be said of every Christian. "To be like Jesus this my song, in the home and in the throng, be like Jesus all day long, I would be like Jesus."
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2020, 06:25:01 AM »
"Those who are true to their calling as messengers for God will not seek honor for themselves..

Love for self will be swallowed up in love for Christ. No rivalry will mar the precious cause of the gospel.

They will recognize that it is their work to proclaim, as did John the Baptist....

"Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29.

They will lift up Jesus, and with Him humanity will be lifted up.

"Thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones." Isaiah 57:15.

Let us be humble ,my brother's and sister's and keep our focus on Jesus. Human pride has no place in the work of God! Many have gone astray over this problem and brought disgrace and shame to themselves and to Jesus. Let us remember the prayer of David as he said in...

Psalm 51:9-11 -- 9 Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. 10. Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. 11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.

"The work of God is not to bear the image and superscription of man. From time to time the Lord will bring in different agencies, through whom His purpose can best be accomplished..

"Happy are they who are willing for self to be humbled, saying with John the Baptist, "He must increase, but I must decrease."

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2020, 08:45:55 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine and Brother Beacon!

Let us look to Christ who is the truth, and as we approach Him as the great center, we may experience true unity!

"Those who are true to their calling as messengers for God will not seek honor for themselves. Love for self will be swallowed up in love for Christ. No rivalry will mar the precious cause of the gospel. They will recognize that it is their work to proclaim, as did John the Baptist, "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29. They will lift up Jesus, and with Him humanity will be lifted up. 'Thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.' Isaiah 57:15." {The Desire of Ages, page 179, paragraph 5}

Unity among Christ's converted disciples is evidence of the Holy Spirit revealing what is important--beholding Jesus and letting self be swallowed up in His will. As we abide in Christ, there will be love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance without one of the traits of the divine nature missing! Christ in us the hope of glory will be uplifted, and all who look and live may have truly converted hearts that long to bear His image, breathe His Spirit, and please Him in all things!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2020, 10:19:36 PM »
Wow!!!  The Holy Spirit spoke to each who has posted the very same thing! Why does God leave us in this darkest of all spots in the universe? That we might witness to the world and the unfallen worlds the righteousness of Christ, that our lives and our words will point all to the Lamb of God that taketh away the sins of the world!! The only good thing in man is when Christ is in us, the hope of glory! Thus, the true teacher sent from God will not take the glory to himself, but point all to Jesus!

Those who are true to their calling as messengers for God will not seek honor for themselves. Love for self will be swallowed up in love for Christ. No rivalry will mar the precious cause of the gospel. They will recognize that it is their work to proclaim, as did John the Baptist, "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29. They will lift up Jesus, and with Him humanity will be lifted up. "Thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones." Isaiah 57:15. 

To God be the glory. Is this not our message to a world soon to perish? "Fear God and give glory to Him..."
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2021, 03:45:36 AM »
Happy Sabbath!! The plans that God has are MUCH BIGGER than you or I can imagine. That is why He uses so many different people to accomplish His will. When we realize we are part of the body of Christ by surrendering our whole heart to Christ so He can imbue us with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing, we can gladly let Christ increase!!

"The work of God is not to bear the image and superscription of man. From time to time the Lord will bring in different agencies, through whom His purpose can best be accomplished. Happy are they who are willing for self to be humbled, saying with John the Baptist, 'He must increase, but I must decrease.'" {The Desire of Ages, page 182, paragraph 2}

May God bless you to be a blessing in whatever sphere He has placed you!

Beacon

« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2021, 06:49:57 AM »
" For a time the Baptist's influence over the nation had been greater than that of its rulers, priests, or princes. Every consideration that appeals to the ambition of the world's conquerors Satan had stood ready to urge upon John the Baptist..

..But with the evidence before him of his power, he had steadfastly refused the splendid bribe..

"So with the followers of Christ. We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We cannot discern the character of God, or accept Christ by faith, unless we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. To all who do this the Holy Spirit is given without measure. [

"In Christ "dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily, and in Him ye are made full." Colossians 2:9, 10, "

We also, while loyal to truth, should try to avoid all that may lead to discord and misapprehension. For whenever these arise, they result in the loss of souls. Whenever circumstances occur that threaten to cause division,we should follow the example of Jesus and of John the Baptist.

The work of God is not to bear the image and superscription of man.

"From time to time the Lord will bring in different agencies, through whom His purpose can best be accomplished. Happy are they who are willing for self to be humbled, saying with John the Baptist, "He must increase, but I must decrease."

Let us choose to dwell upon the words of this song.... "NOT I BUT CHRIST"

Not I, but Christ be honored, loved, exalted,
Not I, but Christ be seen, be known and heard;
Not I, but Christ in every look and action,
Not I, but Christ in every thought and word.
    Oh, to be saved from myself, dear Lord,
  Oh, to be lost in Thee,
Oh, that it may be no more I,
    But Christ that lives in me.
Not I, but Christ to gently soothe in sorrow,
Not I, but Christ to wipe the falling tear;
Not I, but Christ to lift the weary burden,
Not I, but Christ to hush away all fear.
Christ, only Christ, no idle word e’er falling,
Christ, only Christ, no needless bustling sound;
Christ, only Christ, no self-important bearing,
Christ, only Christ, no trace of I be found.
Not I, but Christ my every need supplying,
Not I, but Christ my strength and health to be;
Christ, only Christ, for spirit, soul, and body,
Christ, only Christ, live then Thy life in me.
Christ, only Christ, ere long will fill my vision,
Glory excelling soon, full soon I’ll see;
Christ, only Christ, my every wish fulfilling,
Christ, only Christ, my all in all to be.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2021, 07:12:06 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean! We each have a part to play, and when we are dead to self we can do that which God has given us to do and it will not only glorify God, it will help to hasten the soon coming of Jesus!

Brother Beacon, I love that song and it surely describes those who are truly converted as does this powerful statement seen in today's reading:

John had by nature the faults and weaknesses common to humanity, but the touch of divine love had transformed him. He dwelt in an atmosphere uncontaminated with selfishness and ambition, and far above the miasma of jealousy. He manifested no sympathy with the dissatisfaction of his disciples, but showed how clearly he understood his relation to the Messiah, and how gladly he welcomed the One for whom he had prepared the way.

God's church is awakening to this truth, that our fallen nature is no excuse for sin. The touch of divine love will transform sinners into saints. And, this transformation will continue as long as that love is kept in the heart and mind. The well kept secret as to how we can keep that love in our heart and mind is found in the message to Nicodemus in John chapter three and also in 2 Cor. 3:18. Jesus has told us over and over how to be converted and how to stay converted. Man does not live by bread alone, but by every Word that preceedeth from the mouth of God. Better translated, is that the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us. Or, in other words that might be better able to be grasped, it would be well to spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating those Words that reveal the character of our God. Yes, the whole Bible is a revelation of the character of our God, but Jesus is the Manna which came down from heaven that as we feed upon Him we shall be transformed into His image (2 Cor. 3:18), especially the closing scenes of His life where we see His love for us while we were yet sinners.

Living in fallen flesh is no excuse for sin, for God has provided a remedy in His Son. If we will learn of Him who gave all for us, the Holy Spirit will take possession of the heart and mind and cleanse them from all sin. He will then, the third person of the godhead, give us each one of the fruits of His Spirit, not one missing. This is what Peter speaks of in 2 Peter 1:4, when he tell us that if we love Jesus with the whole heart, we will become partakers of God's divine nature. Like Jesus we shall have two natures with the divine nature keeping the fallen nature from acting out. This is what Paul means when he says I keep the body under lest I become a castaway. The "body" being the fallen flesh that we shall have until by God's grace we are given holy flesh at the soon coming of Jesus.

Let is give glory to God today by reflecting His character to a world soon to perish.

Dorine

« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2021, 07:31:02 AM »
John had been called to lead out as a reformer. Because of this, his disciples were in danger of fixing their attention upon him, feeling that the success of the work depended upon his labors, and losing sight of the fact that he was only an instrument through which God had wrought. But the work of John was not sufficient to lay the foundation of the Christian church. When he had fulfilled his mission, another work was to be done, which his testimony could not accomplish. His disciples did not understand this. When they saw Christ coming in to take the work, they were jealous and dissatisfied.
When Jesus reigns in the heart there will be no jealousies among the brethren. What one starts often another will finish. We should be delighted and praising God for the results for heaven no matter who was involved in their journey. Another danger spoken of is the danger of following man. May the only leader we serve be Jesus. We can help others understand that we don't come into church membership because of a charismatic or entertaining pastor. If we do we will be greatly disappointed and many will not remain. Our membership should be based on our surrender to Christ and the message He has given His church.

Beacon

« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2021, 04:35:01 AM »
"The work of God is not to bear the image and superscription of man. From time to time the Lord will bring in different agencies, through whom His purpose can best be accomplished. Happy are they who are willing for self to be humbled, saying with John the Baptist, "He must increase, but I must decrease."

Let us remember the prayer of David as he said in...

"Psalm 51:9-11 -- "Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me."

Let us be humble ,my brother's and sister's and keep our focus on Jesus. Human pride has no place in the work of God! Many have gone astray over this problem and brought disgrace and shame to themselves and to Jesus. I pray that you and I will not be one of them .

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2021, 04:55:08 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! May we always let Christ be the great center of attention and focus, and allow self to be crucified with Him, hidden, and ever abiding in Jesus so that He may cleanse us from all sin by His atoning blood as we confess our continual need of Him and allow all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing to be manifest in our lives by a genuine conversion experience which leads to affectionate obedience to all of God's commandments! John the Baptist was a true witness of this experience as he uplifted Jesus and turned people away from himself. May we follow such a selfless example and remember that Christ will lead each of us in the way that is best.

When we realize how great God truly is and how much He has done for us, self need not clamor for attention. Our greatest desire will be to see that souls behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world. By beholding Christ we become changed into His lovely image, and there is no limit to what He can do with a life that is completely surrendered to Him! May this be your experience moment-by-moment all day and every day!

Philip T

« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2021, 06:11:04 AM »
The soul of the prophet, emptied of self, was filled with the light of the divine. As he witnessed to the Saviour's glory, his words were almost a counterpart of those that Christ Himself had spoken in His interview with Nicodemus. John said, "He that cometh from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaketh of the earth: He that cometh from heaven is above all. . . . For He whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto Him." Christ could say, "I seek not Mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent Me." John 5:30. To Him it is declared, "Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even Thy God, hath anointed Thee with the oil of gladness above Thy fellows." Hebrews 1:9. The Father "giveth not the Spirit by measure unto Him."
    So with the followers of Christ. We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We cannot discern the character of God, or accept Christ by faith, unless we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. To all who do this the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily, and in Him ye are made full." Colossians 2:9, 10, R. V.   

The only way to be brought to God is to empty ourselves of self, then the Holy Spirit can work within us. It is the Spirit that brings us to Jesus, and through Jesus we are brought to the Father.  When we allow self to remain within us we are placing a roadblock between us and Christ.  When giving witness it is Jesus who should be reflected from us to the one we are witnessing to.  May we all be willing to surrender all of self to God.  When this is accomplished the Holy Spirit can work within us. It is only when the church reaches this state that the Latter rain will be poured out.

Dorine

« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2021, 06:21:41 AM »
"We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We cannot discern the character of God, or accept Christ by faith, unless we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. To all who do this the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily, and in Him ye are made full." Colossians 2:9, 10,

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2021, 12:13:56 PM »
Amen dear brothers and sister!  When filled with the Holy Spirit, we shall not want to be recognized. The true teachers sent of God point others away from themselves and to Jesus and His inspired Word.

God calls a man to do a certain work; and when he has carried it as far as he is qualified to take it, the Lord brings in others, to carry it still farther. But, like John's disciples, many feel that the success of the work depends on the first laborer. Attention is fixed upon the human instead of the divine, jealousy comes in, and the work of God is marred. The one thus unduly honored is tempted to cherish self-confidence. He does not realize his dependence on God. The people are taught to rely on man for guidance, and thus they fall into error, and are led away from God.   

Pray that God will help us to not point people to people, but to Jesus.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2021, 04:56:50 AM »
May we let Jesus be lifted higher as we are hidden behind His glory. As we behold Jesus, we will be willing to be like John the Baptist who came to point souls to Him!

The work of God is not to bear the image and superscription of man. From time to time the Lord will bring in different agencies, through whom His purpose can best be accomplished. Happy are they who are willing for self to be humbled, saying with John the Baptist, "He must increase, but I must decrease."

Looking in faith to the Redeemer, we can experience true self-abnegation which is manifest in all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing as we obey the law of God from a heart renewed by divine grace!

Dorine

« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2021, 05:01:17 AM »
  "The soul of the prophet, emptied of self, was filled with the light of the divine. .......So with the followers of Christ. We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We cannot discern the character of God, or accept Christ by faith, unless we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. To all who do this the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily, and in Him ye are made full." Colossians 2:9, 10, R. V.

I read the chapter twice this morning and each time the above quote jumped out at me. Our words and actions are the result of the thoughts we dwell upon. As we humble ourselves before God continually,  self will be buried and as thoughts come into our mind we will be able to discern and reject that which is not of God. We make the choice to obey Christ and He gives us power through the Holy Spirit to do His will. It is so simple yet it is a constant battle. We can never let our guard down because the devil is ever on our trail. God will keep us from falling when we lay self at His feet.