Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--18--"He Must Increase"  (Read 17791 times)

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--18--"He Must Increase"
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 08:23:13 AM »
I'm seeing the value more and more of "beholding the life of Christ" for it truly shows me my defects and points me to the one who has the power to transform my heart.

John had every human reason to feel hurt and jealous as he lost so many of his disciples to Christ. As you pointed out Pastor Sean this was not the case with John and we too can have pure selfless motives when we are completely surrendered to Christ.

There was another point brought out in our reading today that I found interesting.

...."Those leaders in Israel were not willing to say with John, "He must increase, but I must decrease." "They arose with a new determination to put an end to the work that was drawing the people away from them.

Jesus knew that they would spare no effort to create a division between His own disciples and those of John. He knew that the storm was gathering which would sweep away one of the greatest prophets ever given to the world. Wishing to avoid all occasion for misunderstanding or dissension, He quietly ceased His labors, and withdrew to Galilee. We also, while loyal to truth, should try to avoid all that may lead to discord and misapprehension. For whenever these arise, they result in the loss of souls.Whenever circumstances occur that threaten to cause division, we should follow the example of Jesus and of Jon the Baptist."

But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2017, 05:23:09 PM »
Dorine, it is good for us to see our weaknesses so long as we don't focus on them. This is how we are able to recognize our need and go to the Source for power to overcome.

It's also interesting that she points out the examples of Jesus and John the Baptist for examples of not causing division since a lot of their ministry caused division. We need to be lead by the Spirit. There is a time and place for everything. Sometimes it's best to be quiet while other times to not say something would lead others to think everything is ok when it's not.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2017, 05:56:12 AM »
Amen, Jim.The testimony of the True Witness, the laodicean message, will cause division in the church. It will separate the sheep from the goats. I believe what we need to be very careful about not doing is causing division amongst those who are true believers.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2017, 08:05:59 AM »
The testimony of the True Witness, the Laodicean message, will cause division in the church. It will separate the sheep from the goats. I believe what we need to be very careful about not doing is causing division amongst those who are true believers.

I appreciate the thought you made about not causing division among true believers. If we can labor in another vicinity so that those who are seeking to cause division among the true believers, we will be blessed to know that we are but following the example of Jesus!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 06:17:19 AM »
John had by nature the faults and weaknesses common to humanity, but the touch of divine love had transformed him. He dwelt in an atmosphere uncontaminated with selfishness and ambition, and far above the miasma of jealousy. He manifested no sympathy with the dissatisfaction of his disciples, but showed how clearly he understood his relation to the Messiah, and how gladly he welcomed the One for whom he had prepared the way.

So we all by nature have the faults and weaknesses common to humanity. These are no excuse for sin. We may give all to Christ and He will exchange our sin polluted hearts for new ones!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 12:23:28 PM »
Amen, Richard!! We need a new nature from Jesus--John the Baptist had that experience and is a witness of the power of grace to change sinners into saints!

Christ needs to be continually lifted higher and higher, that with Him humanity may be elevated--lifted from the miasma of selfishness to see the glory of the unseen world, the joy of continual communion with God. Conversion (a full-heart surrender to Christ) is necessary in order to truly appreciate all that Christ is to us, and a continual conversion experience (Jesus called it abiding) is needed if we would have continuous spiritual strength to resist evil and walk in joyful obedience to God, manifesting all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing. I appreciate how John the Baptist kept the focus on Christ, and lost sight of himself. May we lose sight of ourselves as we continually behold the loveliness of Jesus--for He promises to transform us into His very image (2 Corinthians 3:18) as we behold Him!

"Those who are true to their calling as messengers for God will not seek honor for themselves. Love for self will be swallowed up in love for Christ. No rivalry will mar the precious cause of the gospel. They will recognize that it is their work to proclaim, as did John the Baptist, 'Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.' John 1:29. They will lift up Jesus, and with Him humanity will be lifted up. 'Thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.' Isaiah 57:15." {The Desire of Ages, page 179, paragraph 5} 
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2018, 05:31:39 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean.  After we are converted, God could lay us to sleep, since like the thief on the cross, we have a title for heaven. But, God leaves us in this wicked world that we might spread the gospel to a world soon to perish.

There are many theological arguments in the church today, as it was when Jesus came into this world a helpless babe. We like John the Baptist are to point all to Jesus and His Word. Like John we are dependent upon Christ for our wisdom and strength. It is he who believeth with the whole heart on Christ who hath life. He is the Savior from sin. So many today, like in John's day, are unwilling to accept the truth that in Christ we are saved from sin.

The disciples of John had declared that all men were coming to Christ; but with clearer insight, John said, "No man receiveth His witness;" so few were ready to accept Him as the Saviour from sin. But "he that hath received His witness hath set his seal to this, that God is true." John 3:33, R. V. "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life." No need of disputation as to whether Christ's baptism or John's purified from sin. It is the grace of Christ that gives life to the soul. Apart from Christ, baptism, like any other service, is a worthless form. "He that believeth not the Son shall not see life." 

It is the heart that God wants, the whole heart. And when we make a whole heart surrender to Jesus, He takes possession of the heart, cleanses it from sin and empowers the repentant sinner to keep His commandments. This is the power of grace to transform the sinner into saint. This is the message we are to take to the whole world, by word and by example.

Those who are true to their calling as messengers for God will not seek honor for themselves. Love for self will be swallowed up in love for Christ. No rivalry will mar the precious cause of the gospel. They will recognize that it is their work to proclaim, as did John the Baptist, "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29. They will lift up Jesus, and with Him humanity will be lifted up. "Thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones." Isaiah 57:15. 

Dorine

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2018, 06:56:56 AM »
I am inspired once again by the totally unselfish character of John. We are reminded that he had the faults and weaknesses common to humanity but was transformed by the divine touch. We too can have that same experience. Self is such a stumbling block. But what victory is ours when we humbly surrender self to Jesus. Just like John we can honestly and happily say..."He must increase but I must decrease."

More of Thee dear Lord; I need much more of Thee.

".....So with the followers of Christ. We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We cannot discern the character of God, or accept Christ by faith, unless we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. To all who do this the Holy Spirit is given without measure."
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2018, 09:49:57 AM »
Amen. That is certainly a high calling. But, well worth the effort. Imagine being a child of the King!!  And exchanging a sin polluted heart for one as while as snow!!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2018, 10:01:28 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine and Richard! What a joy to be able to exalt Christ as He gives us a new heart--a heart that glories not in self, but in the one who came to save us!

We may, by abiding in Christ through a full-heart surrender, truly say, as John the Baptist did in John 3:30, "He must increase, but I must decrease."

Looking in faith to the Redeemer, John had risen to the height of self-abnegation. He sought not to attract men to himself, but to lift their thoughts higher and still higher, until they should rest upon the Lamb of God. He himself had been only a voice, a cry in the wilderness. Now with joy he accepted silence and obscurity, that the eyes of all might be turned to the Light of life.  {The Desire of Ages, page 179, paragraph 4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2018, 04:26:14 AM »
As we have the privilege of putting our continual focus upon the loveliness of Jesus' character, we will find the joy of being in silence and obscurity if God's providence so orders it, or of being used in the public sphere to the extent that God would have us there. But in all our labors, if we are truly converted and following God's will for us in ministry, we will not seek to have people focus upon ourselves, but on the Lamb of God, Jesus. I really appreciate the selfless character exemplified in John the Baptist--of seeing how he joyfully accepted God's providences in his life as the focus more fully shifted to Jesus Christ since he was only the herald of the Messiah, not the Messiah Himself.

"Those who are true to their calling as messengers for God will not seek honor for themselves. Love for self will be swallowed up in love for Christ. No rivalry will mar the precious cause of the gospel. They will recognize that it is their work to proclaim, as did John the Baptist, "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29. They will lift up Jesus, and with Him humanity will be lifted up. 'Thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.' Isaiah 57:15."  {The Desire of Ages, page 179, paragraph 5}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2018, 05:51:40 AM »
Amen!!  Self is dead when Christ sits on the throne of the heart! How does this happen? It is by grace that we are broken. Grace is more than a word, it is the power that turns sinners into saints filled with the Holy Spirit.

The disciples of John had declared that all men were coming to Christ; but with clearer insight, John said, "No man receiveth His witness;" so few were ready to accept Him as the Saviour from sin. But "he that hath received His witness hath set his seal to this, that God is true." John 3:33, R. V. "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life." No need of disputation as to whether Christ's baptism or John's purified from sin. It is the grace of Christ that gives life to the soul. Apart from Christ, baptism, like any other service, is a worthless form. "He that believeth not the Son shall not see life." 

What happens when we are converted?  Where is self?

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We cannot discern the character of God, or accept Christ by faith, unless we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. To all who do this the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily, and in Him ye are made full." Colossians 2:9, 10, R. V.   

So, it is he that believeth with the whole heart that is saved, not just he who believes. "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life." Evey thought must be brought into captivity to the obedience of Christ. We must be emptied of self. Grace is the only power that can do this. It must be seen and allowed into the heart. By beholding His grace we are transformed into His image (2 Cor. 3:18).

Dorine

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2018, 07:13:46 AM »
"Jesus knew that they would spare no effort to create a division between His own disciples and those of John. He knew that the storm was gathering which would sweep away one of the greatest prophets ever given to the world. Wishing to avoid all occasion for misunderstanding or dissension, He quietly ceased His labors, and withdrew to Galilee. We also, while loyal to truth, should try to avoid all that may lead to discord and misapprehension. For whenever these arise, they result in the loss of souls. Whenever circumstances occur that threaten to cause division, we should follow the example of Jesus and of John the Baptist."

Having experienced division in our church and the aftermath that comes with that for years afterwards I have come to see the importance of these words, 'while loyal to truth'. Someone please help me out if I am not being clear in what I'm trying to say here.

The threat of division over who was baptising was not an issue of truth. Baptism was a symbol of who they believed in no matter who they were baptised by.  To avoid causing dissension Jesus quietly went to Galilee. What a lesson for us today. There are so many issues that arise among us that can cause division.  We must be wise as serpents and harmless as doves and pick our battles on truth not personal opinion. What a beautiful example Jesus is in all things.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2018, 05:49:24 AM »
If we consent, our thoughts can be brought into subjection to God's perfect will continually. Sometimes we think this will be automatic, but the ongoing place of warfare is our hearts and minds. We need this time daily to behold the loveliness of Jesus, and then when tempted to let our minds wander from Jesus, we can choose to continue to remain in surrendered trust, abiding in Christ. It is worth the effort! Christ's supernatural help, even the divine nature, is available to the weakest soul who yields fully, thus giving the soul complete access to the effectual working of the Holy Spirit who fills the soul with all of the fruits of the Spirit--not one will be missing!

"So with the followers of Christ. We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We cannot discern the character of God, or accept Christ by faith, unless we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. To all who do this the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ 'dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily, and in Him ye are made full.' Colossians 2:9, 10, R. V." {The Desire of Ages, page 181, paragraph 1}

What on earth can compare to the experience of being a partaker of the divine nature, the fullness of the Godhead bodily? Nothing truly satisfies the soul like Jesus. All the temptations and allurements that Satan presents to seek to cause us to break the tie of our souls with Christ once we are fully surrendered will not truly satisfy. Christ's presence alone can make men and women truly happy. Turn to Him, look and live, and find in Him the strength and grace needed for this day!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2018, 06:39:25 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean!   What can compare to the joy of sharing Jesus with others that they too may be filled with the Holy Spirit and lead others to know Christ! I too saw the same in today's reading.

John represented himself as the friend who acted as a messenger between the betrothed parties, preparing the way for the marriage. When the bridegroom had received his bride, the mission of the friend was fulfilled. He rejoiced in the happiness of those whose union he had promoted. So John had been called to direct the people to Jesus, and it was his joy to witness the success of the Saviour's work. He said, "This my joy therefore is fulfilled. He must increase, but I must decrease."   

Is this not the great joy in our lives? Amen!! If not, then we need to understand why we are still left on this Earth. Many have not had this joy. If we will give the whole heart to Christ, then we will be filled with this joy and love and peace!!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2018, 03:02:41 AM »
As we contemplate the exceedingly beautiful loveliness of Jesus' character, we can also rejoice in how that character may be wrought out in the lives of those who behold Him for who He is--our Savior from sin. John the Baptist so beautifully reveals the humility and submission to the One for whom he prepared the way. John understood his role, and as we behold the loveliness of Jesus morning by morning, day by day, we also will be brought to fill the position for which heaven has planned us to fulfill as long as we are teachable and obedient. All of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing are the fruition of one whose soul is filled with God's love, lifting us above the clamors of the fallen nature, the world, and the devil. We may be still and know that He is God.

"John had by nature the faults and weaknesses common to humanity, but the touch of divine love had transformed him. He dwelt in an atmosphere uncontaminated with selfishness and ambition, and far above the miasma of jealousy. He manifested no sympathy with the dissatisfaction of his disciples, but showed how clearly he understood his relation to the Messiah, and how gladly he welcomed the One for whom he had prepared the way." {The Desire of Ages, page 179, paragraph 2}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2018, 07:17:37 AM »
What a blessing to daily be reminded that grace has power to transform the life, my life. John was like us, living in fallen flesh. But, that is not an excuse for sin. A "touch" of love is what changes us into the image (character) of Christ. At conversion we become a partaker of the nature of God, all of the fruits are indeed revealed in the life. As we daily  behold the "Lamb of God" we are touched by His love and are daily dying to self.

The lesson we learned from the interview with Nicodemus was brought up again this morning.

The soul of the prophet, emptied of self, was filled with the light of the divine. As he witnessed to the Saviour's glory, his words were almost a counterpart of those that Christ Himself had spoken in His interview with Nicodemus. John said, "He that cometh from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaketh of the earth: He that cometh from heaven is above all. . . . For He whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto Him." Christ could say, "I seek not Mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent Me." John 5:30. To Him it is declared, "Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even Thy God, hath anointed Thee with the oil of gladness above Thy fellows." Hebrews 1:9. The Father "giveth not the Spirit by measure unto Him." 

That which is born of the flesh is flesh, that which is born of the Spirit is Spirit. We need to be filled with the Spirit if we want to have peace in this world and joy in the next. And if we are filled with the Spirit, who is it that is bringing success to our work? Our part is immeasurably small, God's part is immeasurably large. We need to keep our mind and eyes upon Jesus whom we are wholly dependent upon to do any good thing.

Dorine

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2018, 06:29:36 AM »
"The work of God is not to bear the image and superscription of man. From time to time the Lord will bring in different agencies, through whom His purpose can best be accomplished. Happy are they who are willing for self to be humbled, saying with John the Baptist, "He must increase, but I must decrease."

This message isn't just for evangelists or ministers of the gospel. It includes anyone who holds a position in the work of God. One area that is most susceptible is in music. Today's chapter points us to the One who takes our carnal natures which exults 'self' and transforms our hearts into pure motives for serving in the work of Christ. Like John we will then honestly be able to say, "He must increase, but I must decrease." And be truly happy about it.

I love the thought you brought out Richard from this reading. "A "touch" of love is what changes us into the image (character) of Christ." What amazing power is available to each of us to be changed into the beautiful character of Christ. This isn't just something to be envied or an ideal we can never reach. This is to become reality if we are ever to reach our heavenly home.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2018, 06:45:41 AM »
Dorine, I appreciate the thought you brought out. I'll use the same sentence that you quoted about being willing to decrease as someone else increases. Years ago, a pastor that I really respected accepted a call to the other side of the country. In a personal conversation with him, he told me that he had brought this church as a he could and it was time for someone else to come in and take it further. Until he said this I had never considered this before and it made so much sense. Although, I was sad to see him leave I had more respect for him in doing that.

Also, not long ago I was listening to a sermon by Pavel Goia where he talked about his father's passing away. On his death bed the family was gathered around praying for his healing (dying from cancer after being purposely exposed to radiation by communist police) when the father told them to stop. He told them that God has rescued him many many many times over his life from situations of certain death and if God wanted him alive God would have saved him. His father went on to say that his time had come because he was "too big". He did all the work in the church and no one else was growing. He said nothing grows underneath a big tree and that he needed to go so others could grow and he passed on in peace.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2018, 07:17:55 AM »
Jim and Dorine, I appreciate both of the tenor of your reflections, as they resonate with what God has been doing in my life. (Recently I have been sick and have not been able to carry many of the responsibilities I normally carry, necessitating that others step in, while God's work continues.) Sometimes God lets us go through trials that allow it to be clear that others need to take responsibilities, and that we do not have to think that the work centers around one person (only Jesus can truly be the rightful center). What is so beautiful in John's character is how willing He was for Jesus to supersede him. He knew that was the purpose of his mission. Do we realize that is why we are here? As we become like Jesus, we rejoice that others start to grow (stronger than us) or that others take the work (further than we could take it), and we realize it is because the body of Christ is to exalt Christ, not the human instrumentality. What joy that trials often allow us to better realize the simple truth that "He must increase, but I must decrease." (John 3:30).

"Looking in faith to the Redeemer, John had risen to the height of self-abnegation. He sought not to attract men to himself, but to lift their thoughts higher and still higher, until they should rest upon the Lamb of God. He himself had been only a voice, a cry in the wilderness. Now with joy he accepted silence and obscurity, that the eyes of all might be turned to the Light of life." {The Desire of Ages, page 179, paragraph 4}   

Silence and obscurity are not experiences typically sought by humanity; but when self is dead, wherever God knows is best for us to be, we can be happy there. That was John's experience, and I pray that we may rejoice to be wherever God has us today--for His glory and our joy!