Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--40--A Night on the Lake  (Read 18450 times)

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--40--A Night on the Lake
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2022, 05:41:00 AM »
"No sooner had Jesus taken His place in the boat than the wind ceased, "and immediately the ship was at the land whither they went." The night of horror was succeeded by the light of dawn. The disciples, and others who also were on board, bowed at the feet of Jesus with thankful hearts, saying, "Of a truth Thou art the Son of God!"

When Jesus takes His place in our boat (our hearts) we too will experience a calm peaceful joy that is beyond description. In words and actions we will bow at His feet and acknowledge His divinity and grace.  Without Jesus there is fear, restlessness and uncertainty. The disciples did not need to go through this experience if they had learned previous lessons Jesus was teaching them. How many unnecessary storms have we had to go through because we did not learn prior lessons. We can thank God with all our hearts that He does not leave us during those times but longingly waits for us to call upon Him for help. We are weak but He is strong and He will supply our need when we ask. What a beautiful, precious Saviour is Jesus my Lord.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2022, 05:57:40 AM »
Amen dear sister!! Jesus does not forsake us when we sin. He came into this world to save us. Why is it that we would sin when we know of His love for us? Because we are a forgetful people and our only hope is continual dependence upon Him. When we take our eyes off of Him, we will surely fall. When we call out for help, He is there.

Those who fail to realize their constant dependence upon God will be overcome by temptation. We may now suppose that our feet stand secure, and that we shall never be moved. We may say with confidence, "I know in whom I have believed; nothing can shake my faith in God and in His word." But Satan is planning to take advantage of our hereditary and cultivated traits of character, and to blind our eyes to our own necessities and defects. Only through realizing our own weakness and looking steadfastly unto Jesus can we walk securely. 

It is a hard lesson to learn, and a painful one, for when we forget Jesus and sin, we hurt the One we love. We crucify Jesus afresh when we sin. And when we sin, Satan laughs in Jesus' face.  And, we delay His coming. Jesus knows all this, yet He is patient with us. We still have an Intercessor who stands between us and death. What is He doing today? He is pouring clean water upon His church.  Those who doubt His love for His organized church need to study to show themselves approved. Whether it is the wind or water, He is revealing His grace to those who still have opportunity to be cleansed from sin. From the lips of Ezekiel:

36:22   Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; I do not [this] for your sakes, O house of Israel, but for mine holy name's sake, which ye have profaned among the heathen, whither ye went. 
 36:23   And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I [am] the LORD, saith the Lord GOD, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes. 
 36:24   For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land. 
 36:25   Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. 

37:5   Thus saith the Lord GOD unto these bones; Behold, I will cause breath to enter into you, and ye shall live: 
 37:6   And I will lay sinews upon you, and will bring up flesh upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and ye shall live; and ye shall know that I [am] the LORD. 
 37:7   So I prophesied as I was commanded: and as I prophesied, there was a noise, and behold a shaking, and the bones came together, bone to his bone. 
 37:8   And when I beheld, lo, the sinews and the flesh came up upon them, and the skin covered them above: but [there was] no breath in them. 
 37:9   Then said he unto me, Prophesy unto the wind, prophesy, son of man, and say to the wind, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe upon these slain, that they may live. 
 37:10   So I prophesied as he commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they lived, and stood up upon their feet, an exceeding great army. 
 37:11   Then he said unto me, Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel: behold, they say, Our bones are dried, and our hope is lost: we are cut off for our parts. 
 37:12   Therefore prophesy and say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, O my people, I will open your graves, and cause you to come up out of your graves, and bring you into the land of Israel. 
 37:13   And ye shall know that I [am] the LORD, when I have opened your graves, O my people, and brought you up out of your graves, 
 37:14   And shall put my spirit in you, and ye shall live, and I shall place you in your own land: then shall ye know that I the LORD have spoken [it], and performed [it], saith the LORD. 

Let us not be discouraged, but continue to pray that we cease sinning and glorify our Savior and hasten His soon coming. He cannot come until His people cease dirtying the heavenly sanctuary with our sins. While pouring clean water upon His people, He is removing His Spirit from the world. Good is called evil and evil called good. National apostasy is bringing national ruin to all nations in the world. Let His people be a light in this dark spot in the universe that He may be glorified.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Philip T

« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2022, 07:20:50 AM »
  When trouble comes upon us, how often we are like Peter! We look upon the waves, instead of keeping our eyes fixed upon the Saviour. Our footsteps slide, and the proud waters go over our souls. Jesus did not bid Peter come to Him that he should perish; He does not call us to follow Him, and then forsake us. "Fear not," He says; "for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art Mine. When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. For I am the Lord thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour." Isaiah 43:1-3.   

When reading this, I remembered a story about Charles Spurgeon, the great evangelist, after a powerful sermon a lady from the congregation approached him, shook his hand and stated what a powerful sermon you delivered today. His response "so the devil tells me every day." Pride does come before the fall, when we take our eyes off of Jesus, and look at ourselves. Satan strikes, we fall, only by surrendering self to Jesus, and keeping our eyes focused on Him can we overcome.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2022, 08:58:55 AM »
Praise the Lord!! Amen, Brother Beacon, Sister Dorine, Brother Richard, and Brother Philip!!

God is faithful and He is able to work all things together for good to them that love Him. Whether we avail ourselves of the blessings He has in store for us in the experience He brings us through, it is a choice we make. Peter could have learned in his experience in nearly drowning on the sea and being saved by Jesus that He needed Jesus continually--and that would have proved a key difference for when he would be tempted to deny knowing Christ. Had he realized that Jesus was able to keep him and felt his own weakness, he need not have denied Jesus three times. Oh, let us learn how much we need Jesus on a moment-by-moment basis, as through continual surrender to Him all of the fruits of the Spirit will be manifest in our lives without one missing as long as we are truly converted. Then through abiding in Jesus we can be cheerfully obedient to all God has revealed to us by His grace! 

"Jesus read the character of His disciples. He knew how sorely their faith was to be tried. In this incident on the sea He desired to reveal to Peter his own weakness,—to show that his safety was in constant dependence upon divine power. Amid the storms of temptation he could walk safely only as in utter self-distrust he should rely upon the Saviour. It was on the point where he thought himself strong that Peter was weak; and not until he discerned his weakness could he realize his need of dependence upon Christ. Had he learned the lesson that Jesus sought to teach him in that experience on the sea, he would not have failed when the great test came upon him." {The Desire of Ages, page 382, paragraph 2}

The grace of God is sufficient for us to keep us from falling into sin, but the strength is not in ourselves, it is in Christ. When Christ lives out His life in us, we can be consistently godly witnesses of what He is to us--a living Savior and Friend who only wants to make us truly happy both in this life and in the life to come, even as we seek to reach many more for Christ!!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2023, 08:19:15 PM »
"Jesus did not bid Peter come to Him that he should perish."

"He does not call us to follow Him, and then forsake us."

"Fear not,"He says;"for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name thou art Mine."

"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. For I am the Lord thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour." Isaiah 43:1-3."

Quote from Pastor Sean...."Peter could have learned in his experience in nearly drowning on the sea and being saved by Jesus that He needed Jesus continually--and that would have proved a key difference for when he would be tempted to deny knowing Christ.

Amen Pastor Sean. We must keep our eyes on Jesus and trust Him with "ALL" our hearts.

========================

O soul, are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There’s light for a look at the Savior,
And life more abundant and free.
    Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
  In the light of His glory and grace.
Through death into life everlasting
He passed, and we follow Him there;
O’er us sin no more hath dominion
For more than conqu’rors we are!
His Word shall not fail you, He promised;
Believe Him and all will be well;
Then go to a world that is dying,
His perfect salvation to tell!

Music and Words--Helen Howarth Lemmel (1863-1961)
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2023, 01:27:35 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! Praise the Lord that the spiritual lessons the Lord has been showing me can be a blessing to others as we share together and experience the unity Christ prayed for (John 17)!

You are fully known by Someone. Let Christ's loving knowledge of you lead you to completely trust Him and accept His plans for your life, heed His warnings, and graciously appreciate the way He will help you learn what is needed to be kept from falling into temptation. May we all learn to be humble and teachable so Jesus can do in and through us what He longs to do! When we yield our whole heart to Him and abide in His love, all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will flow through our lives in unselfish blessing of others, as Christ enthroned on our hearts enables us to obey the royal law of love, the Ten Commandments!

"Jesus read the character of His disciples. He knew how sorely their faith was to be tried. In this incident on the sea He desired to reveal to Peter his own weakness,—to show that his safety was in constant dependence upon divine power. Amid the storms of temptation he could walk safely only as in utter self-distrust he should rely upon the Saviour. It was on the point where he thought himself strong that Peter was weak; and not until he discerned his weakness could he realize his need of dependence upon Christ. Had he learned the lesson that Jesus sought to teach him in that experience on the sea, he would not have failed when the great test came upon him." {The Desire of Ages, page 382, paragraph 2}

The trials we face are for growth of character and benefit to prepare us for future trials. Jesus Himself modeled this by His experience, as we see from Hebrews 5:8: "Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which He suffered." Had Peter remembered that he could only be kept from sin by keeping his eyes on Jesus and trusting fully in His grace, Peter would have been able to resist the temptation to deny Jesus three times, and could have had a much happier experience with Jesus. Oh, let us realize that all that God tells us is really to deepen our loving relationship with Him and to make us happier as we abide in His holiness! Praise the Lord!!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2023, 09:27:05 AM »
Amen my dear brothers!  It is a hard lesson to learn, but God is trying to teach us by the daily tests He allows into our lives.

Day by day God instructs His children. By the circumstances of the daily life He is preparing them to act their part upon that wider stage to which His providence has appointed them. It is the issue of the daily test that determines their victory or defeat in life's great crisis.
     Those who fail to realize their constant dependence upon God will be overcome by temptation. We may now suppose that our feet stand secure, and that we shall never be moved. We may say with confidence, "I know in whom I have believed; nothing can shake my faith in God and in His word." But Satan is planning to take advantage of our hereditary and cultivated traits of character, and to blind our eyes to our own necessities and defects. Only through realizing our own weakness and looking steadfastly unto Jesus can we walk securely. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2023, 08:21:24 PM »
"Those who fail to realize their constant dependence upon God will be overcome by temptation."

"We may now suppose that our feet stand secure, and that we shall never be moved."

We may say with confidence, "I know in whom I have believed; nothing can shake my faith in God and in His word."

"But Satan is planning to take advantage of our hereditary and cultivated traits of character, and to blind our eyes to our own necessities and defects."

"Only through realizing our own weakness and looking steadfastly unto Jesus can we walk securely."

Are "WE" taking the time each day to look to Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith??

=======================
O soul, are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There’s light for a look at the Savior,
And life more abundant and free.
    Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
  In the light of His glory and grace.
Through death into life everlasting
He passed, and we follow Him there;
O’er us sin no more hath dominion
For more than conqu’rors we are!
His Word shall not fail you, He promised;
Believe Him and all will be well;
Then go to a world that is dying,
His perfect salvation to tell!

Lyrics & Music : Helen Howarth Lemmel (1863-1961)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2023, 06:02:26 AM »
Amen my dearest brother! Until we understand our constant need of a vital connection with Christ, we will continue to fall just as did Peter when he took his eyes off of Jesus. Many do not understand what a fallen nature is and that our only hope is found in knowing God and looking to Him for power to do what is right. It is grace that saves us and we need to be saved every single day, hour, and moment. As Brother Beacon has shared, today's reading points us to this great need and prophesies that those who fail to realize their constant dependence upon God will be overcome by temptation.

Day by day God instructs His children. By the circumstances of the daily life He is preparing them to act their part upon that wider stage to which His providence has appointed them. It is the issue of the daily test that determines their victory or defeat in life's great crisis.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #109 on: April 21, 2023, 07:51:35 AM »
My eyes were drawn to this post made 23 years ago. Nothing has changed in 23 years in regards to the truth seen here.

Richard,  This chapter has some really valuable info in it. Here is one of quotes that really speak to me. This is the second to last paragraph in the chapter.

"Day by day God instructs His children. By the circumstances of the daily life He is preparing them to act their part upon that wider stage to which His providence has appointed them. It is the issue of the daily test that determines their victory or defeat in life's great crisis. Those who fail to realize their constant dependence upon God will be overcome by temptation. We may now suppose that our feet stand secure, and that we shall never be moved. We may say with confidence, "I know in whom I have believed; nothing can shake my faith in God and in His word." But Satan is planning to take advantage of our hereditary and cultivated traits of character, and to blind our eyes to our own necessities and defects. Only through realizing our own weakness and looking steadfastly unto Jesus can we walk securely."

This quote was one of the things that really prompted my interest in the science of psychology. In realizing that my heredity, my personality, my own cultivation of those specific weaknesses that I have inherited along with those that I have picked up from just living, were the spark that caused me to understand that understanding who I am, where I came from, what my personality is like, what my temperament is like, are all things that the devil will use against me. It behooves me then to study these aspects of myself and understand them for the devil can and specifically does use them to tempt us.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2023, 03:49:48 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Brother Richard!!

Because God loves us, He allows trials in our lives that prepare us for greater trials, as His great desire is to see His character reflected in us so we are ready to be with Him in heaven where all is happiness, peace and glory! Peter was graciously given an opportunity to see his own weakness so he need not have denied Jesus before Christ's crucifixion. Let's learn from today's trials to prepare us for the ones yet to come leading up to the second coming of Christ!

Without one missing, all of the fruits of the Spirit will abide in our hearts to be reflected in the life if we are fully surrendered to Christ and walking in harmony with His will in true obedience! Let's learn of Christ today in humility and go forth to be a blessing by having profited from God's daily instruction!!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2023, 04:46:24 AM »
What a contrast! The disciples were on the verge of arranging to have Jesus crowned as an earthly king, and Jesus moments later is praying in agony and tears that this STRONG DECEPTION about the nature of His mission and kingdom would be uprooted from the hearts of those whom He was training for heaven. Oh, what PAIN this brought to Jesus, but praise God that His prayers and labors for them were not in vain! After the storm on the lake had helped to reveal to the disciples their helplessness and need of Jesus, their hearts were more open to keep learning that Christ's kingdom is not of this world. Oh, let us allow Christ into the heart in full surrender so all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be revealed in the life, for this is the evidence that a soul has passed from the self-seeking worldly kingdom to the kingdom of heaven, where selfless love in truth reigns in all who truly obey God because they REALLY believe His word is truth and love Him whom the truth reveals! Error is never harmless. Do not fall for the deception that says it does not really matter what a person believes, for through false theories Satan seeks to gain power over the mind to lead to distrust of the word of God.

"When left alone, Jesus 'went up into a mountain apart to pray.' For hours He continued pleading with God. Not for Himself but for men were those prayers. He prayed for power to reveal to men the divine character of His mission, that Satan might not blind their understanding and pervert their judgment. The Saviour knew that His days of personal ministry on earth were nearly ended, and that few would receive Him as their Redeemer. In travail and conflict of soul He prayed for His disciples. They were to be grievously tried. Their long-cherished hopes, based on a popular delusion, were to be disappointed in a most painful and humiliating manner. In the place of His exaltation to the throne of David they were to witness His crucifixion. This was to be indeed His true coronation. But they did not discern this, and in consequence strong temptations would come to them, which it would be difficult for them to recognize as temptations. Without the Holy Spirit to enlighten the mind and enlarge the comprehension the faith of the disciples would fail. It was painful to Jesus that their conceptions of His kingdom were, to so great a degree, limited to worldly aggrandizement and honor. For them the burden was heavy upon His heart, and He poured out His supplications with bitter agony and tears." {The Desire of Ages, page 379, paragraph 1}

If Jesus prayed VERY EARNESTLY that His disciples be delivered from Satan's deceptions, let us believe that EVEN NOW Jesus is STILL PRAYING EARNESTLY as our High Priest in heaven that His church not be pulled away from the truth of His word, for He is the One who counsels us thus:

"And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of My mouth. Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me. To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with Me in My throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with My Father in His throne. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches" (Revelation 3:14-22).

In contrast to flattering the church with words of "all is well," Christ earnestly, lovingly rebukes His people BECAUSE HE LOVES SO MUCH!! May we lay aside all false theories and doctrines that do not find place in the word of God, daily enter into an affectionate union and communion with Jesus by spending a thoughtful hour upon His life, especially the closing scenes, and be WIDE AWAKE to duty to give the Three Angels' Messages to the WHOLE WORLD (Revelation 14:6-12). Let self-interest be crucified so the life is bound up in God's purpose to save a world soon to perish in a last day events scenario that will blend church and state and lead many professed followers of Christ astray if they do not heed the warnings in the word of God given in love and mercy. As we become like Christ in mind and character by beholding His loveliness continually, the messages given will take effect under the power of the Holy Spirit! Pray for the early and latter rain, ever keeping the present-truth message of Christ the center who CAN DELIVER us from ALL SIN and DECEPTION in the way that He knows best!! Praise God!!!

Beacon

« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2023, 05:19:35 AM »
"When trouble comes upon us, how often we are like Peter! "

"We look upon the waves, instead of keeping our eyes fixed upon the Saviour. Our footsteps slide, and the proud waters go over our souls."

"Jesus did not bid Peter come to Him that he should perish; He does not call us to follow Him, and then forsake us."

'Fear not,' He says; 'for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art Mine. When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. For I am the Lord thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour.' Isaiah 43:1-3."

What great calming promises the Word of God reveals to us. No wonder Jesus could say "

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." John 14:27 "

========================
Jesus, Savior, pilot me
Over life’s tempestuous sea;
Unknown waves before me roll,
Hiding rock and treacherous shoal;
Chart and compass come from Thee;
  Jesus, Savior, pilot me.
As a mother stills her child,
Thou canst hush the ocean wild;
Boisterous waves obey Thy will
When Thou say’st to them, “Be still.”
Wondrous Sovereign of the sea,
  Jesus, Savior, pilot me.
Through death’s valley I may pass,
Still Thy grace will fear surpass;
In Thy presence I will rest,
And, while leaning on Thy breast,
I will hear Thee say to me,

“Lyrics:Edward Hopper (1816-1888)
Music:John Edgar Gould (1822-1875)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2023, 06:39:36 AM »
Amen my dear brothers! You have chosen to warn us of our danger. We all like sheep have gone astray! Why is this? Over and over we are told of our weakness and our great need of a Savior. Not once, but continually we need Jesus. When we take our eyes off of Him, we no longer can walk on water or do any good thing. We have no protection from the temptation that will come daily.

Oh how I wish all would join us in daily beholding our Savior! Each day we receive fresh stores of grace that prepares us for what is coming upon the world.

Philip T

« Reply #114 on: July 17, 2023, 10:09:25 AM »

This last sentence is so true of our walk with Jesus in the path of sanctification. None of the prophets, disciples, apostles or Holy min of God, ever claimed to have arrived, to the sinless state in their lives.  They all stated the fall short of the glory of God, and it is the same with us, if we are bold enough to claim we have arrived, we are perfect. E.G. White states to make such a statement is presumption. Let us all remember our need for a Savior. 

Beacon

« Reply #115 on: October 11, 2023, 11:02:40 PM »
"When left alone, Jesus 'went up into a mountain apart to pray.'

"For hours He continued pleading with God. Not for Himself but for men were those prayers."

"He prayed for power to reveal to men the divine character of His mission, that Satan might not blind their understanding and pervert their judgment."

"The Saviour knew that His days of personal ministry on earth were nearly ended, and that few would receive Him as their Redeemer."

"In travail and conflict of soul He prayed for His disciples."

They were to be grievously tried. Their long-cherished hopes, based on a popular delusion, were to be disappointed in a most painful and humiliating manner.

"In the place of His exaltation to the throne of David they were to witness His crucifixion."

This was to be indeed His true coronation. But they did not discern this, and in consequence strong temptations would come to them, which it would be difficult for them to recognize as temptations.

"Without the Holy Spirit to enlighten the mind and enlarge the comprehension the faith of the disciples would fail."

"It was painful to Jesus that their conceptions of His kingdom were, to so great a degree, limited to worldly aggrandizement and honor."

"For them the burden was heavy upon His heart, and He poured out His supplications with bitter agony and tears."

Are "WE" willing to do the same for our families including our church family and those we work with everyday??

=================================

Encamped along the hills of light,
  Ye Christian soldiers rise,
And press the battle ere the night
  Shall veil the glowing skies;
Against the foe in vales below
  Let all our strength be hurled;
Faith is the victory, we know,
  That overcomes the world.
    Faith is the victory!
Faith is the victory!
O glorious victory,
  That overcomes the world.
His banner over us is love,
  Our sword the Word of God;
We tread the road the saints before
  With shouts of triumph trod.
By faith, they like a whirlwind’s breath,
  Swept on o’er every field;
The faith by which they conquered death
  Is still our shining shield.
On every hand the foe we find
  Drawn up in dread array;
Let tents of ease be left behind,
  And onward to the fray.
Salvation’s helmet on each head,
  With truth all girt about,
The earth shall tremble ’neath our tread,
  And echo with our shout.
To him that overcomes the foe,
  White raiment shall be given;
Before the angels he shall know
  His name confessed in heav’n;
Then onward from the hills of light,
  Our hearts with love aflame,
We’ll vanquish all the hosts of night,
  In Jesus’ conquering name.

Lyrics:John Henry Yates (1837-1900)
Music:Ira David Sankey (1840-1908)

Dorine

« Reply #116 on: October 12, 2023, 06:11:03 AM »
"Day by day God instructs His children. By the circumstances of the daily life He is preparing them to act their part upon that wider stage to which His providence has appointed them. It is the issue of the daily test that determines their victory or defeat in life's great crisis.      
Those who fail to realize their constant dependence upon God will be overcome by temptation. We may now suppose that our feet stand secure, and that we shall never be moved. We may say with confidence, "I know in whom I have believed; nothing can shake my faith in God and in His word." But Satan is planning to take advantage of our hereditary and cultivated traits of character, and to blind our eyes to our own necessities and defects. Only through realizing our own weakness and looking steadfastly unto Jesus can we walk securely."

What a blessing to go back and read the posts of others. God gives us strength and courage in the fellowship of like-minded friends in Christ. Victory in Christ truly is a day by day, moment by moment experience. It is not to be treated lightly by presuming we are ok. We must hunger and thirst for truth as if we were in a desert without water or food. God will never fail us when we come to Him in faith and obedience.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #117 on: October 12, 2023, 06:34:35 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!

It's not always the way it seems. If you were in the crowd after the feeding of the five thousand, it may have seemed like the "perfect" opportunity to seize the enthusiasm and crown Jesus king! But that wasn't the kind of king Jesus came to be. While many expected an earthly conquerer to deliver Israel from the Romans, Christ actually came to be a perfect sacrifice and lay down His life at the cross. He came to establish the kingdom of heaven in the hearts of those who would let Him save them from sin. But because the misunderstanding of the nature of Christ's kingdom was so strong, Christ commanded the crowd to disperse, sent His disciples away to cross the lake, and then sought solace in the Father's presence to help solve the crisis that necessitated serious heart work for the people and His own disciples.

"When left alone, Jesus 'went up into a mountain apart to pray.' For hours He continued pleading with God. Not for Himself but for men were those prayers. He prayed for power to reveal to men the divine character of His mission, that Satan might not blind their understanding and pervert their judgment. The Saviour knew that His days of personal ministry on earth were nearly ended, and that few would receive Him as their Redeemer. In travail and conflict of soul He prayed for His disciples. They were to be grievously tried. Their long-cherished hopes, based on a popular delusion, were to be disappointed in a most painful and humiliating manner. In the place of His exaltation to the throne of David they were to witness His crucifixion. This was to be indeed His true coronation. But they did not discern this, and in consequence strong temptations would come to them, which it would be difficult for them to recognize as temptations. Without the Holy Spirit to enlighten the mind and enlarge the comprehension the faith of the disciples would fail. It was painful to Jesus that their conceptions of His kingdom were, to so great a degree, limited to worldly aggrandizement and honor. For them the burden was heavy upon His heart, and He poured out His supplications with bitter agony and tears." {The Desire of Ages, page 379, paragraph 1}

Similar temptations still exist today. The world clamors for our attention, and we need a daily, fresh conversion to overcome sin and realize that the second coming of Jesus is not merely about being delivered from this present evil world, but about first being cleansed from sin while Christ is still ministering as our High Priest! If we are still sinning at Christ's return, we will be lost. But if we overcome as we heed His counsel (Revelation 3:14-22), we have nothing to fear for the future as we remember what He has done for us and His teaching in our past history. Jesus is still praying for us at this present time. "Wherefore He is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by Him, seeing He ever liveth to make intercession for them" (Hebrews 7:25). The Holy Spirit is also praying for us. "Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered" (Romans 8:26). If we avail ourselves of the divine help offered us, we can resist the temptation to put the wrong emphasis on things in these last days, and realize that Christ is very delirious to develop in us His loveliness of character as we abide in Him. A truly converted soul will reveal all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing, and like Christ, will be able to be patient and cheerful in a life of true obedience to all of God's commandments! Let's walk in the victory of Jesus!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #118 on: October 12, 2023, 06:47:38 AM »
Amen my dear friends!!  It is deadly to take our eyes off of Jesus. Thank God for His great love that saves us from ourselves!

When trouble comes upon us, how often we are like Peter! We look upon the waves, instead of keeping our eyes fixed upon the Saviour. Our footsteps slide, and the proud waters go over our souls. Jesus did not bid Peter come to Him that he should perish; He does not call us to follow Him, and then forsake us. "Fear not," He says; "for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art Mine. When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. For I am the Lord thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour." Isaiah 43:1-3....... In this incident on the sea He desired to reveal to Peter his own weakness,--to show that his safety was in constant dependence upon divine power.....Day by day God instructs His children. By the circumstances of the daily life He is preparing them to act their part upon that wider stage to which His providence has appointed them. It is the issue of the daily test that determines their victory or defeat in life's great crisis.

Beacon

« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2024, 08:25:45 PM »
"Day by day God instructs His children."

"By the circumstances of the daily life He is preparing them to act their part upon that wider stage to which His providence has appointed them."

"It is the issue of the daily test that determines their victory or defeat in life's great crisis."

"Those who fail to realize their constant dependence upon God will be overcome by temptation."

"We may now suppose that our feet stand secure, and that we shall never be moved."

"We may say with confidence, "I know in whom I have believed; nothing can shake my faith in God and in His word."

"But Satan is planning to take advantage of our hereditary and cultivated traits of character, and to blind our eyes to our own necessities and defects."

"Only through realizing our own weakness and looking steadfastly unto Jesus can we walk securely."

Our daily prayer should be " Lord open my eyes that I may see my true spiritual condition and the courage to make the changes  needed."

=========================
1.Open my eyes that I may see
Glimpses of truth Thou hast for me;
Place in my hands the wonderful key
That shall unclasp and set me free.
    Silently now I wait for Thee,
Ready, my God, Thy will to see;
Open my eyes, illumine me,
    Spirit Divine!
Open my ears that I may hear
Voices of truth Thou sendest clear;
And while the wave notes fall on my ear,
Everything false will disappear.
Open my mouth and let me bear
Tidings of mercy everywhere;
Open my heart and let me prepare
Love with Thy children thus to share.
Open my mind that I may read
More of Thy love in word and deed;
What shall I fear while yet Thou dost lead?
Only for light from Thee I plead.

Lyrics:Clara H. Scott
Music:Clara H. Scott