Author Topic: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 1--2nd Quarter 2024--The Great Controversy  (Read 273 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
2nd   Quarter 

The Great Controversy

Commentary in Navy                  Inspiration in Maroon

Lesson Author Mark Finley is a a native of Connecticut, U.S.A. He is  a widely known Seventh-day  Adventist evangelist who was a vice-president at the General Conference from 2005–2010. After retiring from full-time employment, he became an assistant to Ted Wilson, the president of the General Conference. Pastor Finley and his wife, Ernestine, have three children and five grandchildren. Pastor Finley also wrote the companion book, The War Between Good and Evil.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
2nd   Quarter         Lesson 1                                                                                                                                                                     Mar 30 - Apr 05

The War Behind All Wars

Commentary in Navy                  Inspiration in Maroon

Sabbath Afternoon

Read for This Week’s Study

Isaiah 14:12-14; Genesis 3:15; John 17:24-26.

Memory Text: And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels." Revelation 12:7

If God is so good, why is the world so bad? How can a God of love allow so much evil to exist? Why do bad things happen to good people? In this week’s lesson, we will explore the agelong conflict between good and evil. Beginning with Lucifer’s rebellion in heaven, we will examine the origin of evil and God’s long-suffering in dealing with the sin problem.

Many unbelievers as the question "If your God is a God of love," which He is, "And your God is all powerful," which He is, "then why does He allow bad things to happen to good people?" That is a legitimate question that needs an answer. If no answer is given, then many will continue to reject the Bible and God. Why then is this not answered? We are the chosen ones of God not because we are obedient and more than were the Jews. We have been entrusted with the truth. We are the ones who believe we are rich and increased with goods, but know not as a people we are blind to our lost condition. That will change when there is revival and reformation in the church. In the meantime, all who are truly converted ought to be able to answer the question. Prayerfully read Nahum 1:8. It is a promise to our world and universe. When we have done what God has entrusted us to do, then Jesus will come. After the thousand years, the wicked will be brought forth to acknowledge Jesus was right. Then they will suffer for every sin they have done and they will disappear for eternity. There will be no more sin according to Nahum 1:8. How can this be? Does not God leave all with a free will? Yes. Then how can God promise there will be no more sin? There once was a angel that sinned of his own choice. What is the difference after sinners have been destroyed? Why will the holy ones never sin? The Earth is the lesson book for the universe.

We think that Christ suffered and died for us. That is true, but God has a greater problem than my sinning. He wants and end to sin forever. And, in His wisdom, He has almost finished the work of ending sinning. What has taken Him so long? He is waiting on us. At the cross, the universe saw the end result of sin, the death of His innocent Son. But, there is one other even to take place before the lesson book is finished. God will have a church that has ceased to sin while living in fallen flesh. Satan will be allowed to do whatever he wants to those who have been sealed. As with Job, he cannot kill them. For what purpose? If sealed, they could be translated. But, instead of being translated, they go through a time of trouble such as never was. It is not for the sinners on Earth, for their hearts are fixed and noting can changed their character. They why the great suffered for the holy ones who are sealed? It is true that their characters will be sanctified to a higher level. They will more perfectly reflect the character of God.

The 144,000 have a new song to sing that no others have. Unlike Job, they will not sin. They keep their eyes upon Jesus. The onlooking holy angels, and the holy beings on other planets are amazed that those who live after 6,000 years of sin are ignorant of how far removed from Adam in fallen flesh they are. Sin has weakened humanity so that most of civilization is so very evil.  How can there be a group of Christians that go through a time of trouble worse than the dark ages and not sin?  It is this demonstrantion that encourages the unfallen worlds the power of grace to keep from sin. If a whole church can cease sinning when attacked by Satan, this is a powerful truth that will encourage the unfallen worlds living in holy flesh and knowing the results of sin, can live for eternity without sin. This is the purpose of humanity being a lesson book for the universe.

God does not remove free will from His creatures, yet He can assure all that there will never ever be sin. Thus, we can now tell others why God allows bad things to good people beginning with the sufferings of Jesus. And, do you not glory in your tribulation? Then explain also why it is that we do not complain about the bad things Satan does to us. And, lastly explain that God gives us a period of time to learn of Him. Satan cannot take our lives until the time of probation is up. God has gone even further. He promises that we will not be tempted beyond what we can bear. In other words, like with Job, Satan can only go as far as God allows. Read again the first chapter of Job. These truths are not very well understood by most professing Christians, even Seventh-day Adventists. But you may understand and be a blessing to the sincere ones seeking an answer as to why God allows bad things to happen to good people.

God is a God of incredible love. His very nature is love. All of His actions are loving (Jeremiah 31:3). Love can never be forced, coerced, or legislated. Ellen G. White states it well when she writes, “Only by love is love awakened.”—The Desire of Ages, p. 22. To deny the power of choice is to destroy the ability to love, and to destroy the ability to love is to eradicate the possibility of being truly happy. God wins our allegiance by His love. He is dealing with the great controversy between good and evil in such a way that sin will never arise in the universe again. God’s purpose is to demonstrate before the entire universe that He has always acted in the best interests of His creatures. Looking at the world through the lens of God’s love, in the light of the great controversy between good and evil, reassures each of us that right will triumph over wrong and will do so forever.

Amen! God has promised sin will not arise a second time. "He will make an utter end: affliction shall not rise up the second time." Nahum 1:9. How can God promise this when He will allow all of His creatures free will? Lucifer had holy flesh and he sinned, as did Adam. No one led Lucifer into sin. So how can God promise sin will never ever arise a second time? This world is the lesson book for the universe. Not only have all seen the results of sin, but they also see the power of God's love to keep from sin. Over 6,000 years of sin has resulted in these little evil creatures who do not know how evil they are. If they can cease sinning by the power of God's grace, then surely all of the unfallen world need not worry about sin ever again.

God does not cause all of the evil in this world, but nothing happens that God does  not allow to happen. Thus, we do indeed see bad things happening to "good" people. Look at the evil that fell upon Jesus. We know why this was allowed. He paid the price for the sins of the whole world. But what about innocent children? Some children God ordered to be killed. Men, woman, children, and animals. And God destroyed every living thing off the face of the Earth except what was in the ark.

I am sure that much will be revealed as we go through this quarter's lessons. We were blessed greatly in the quarter not long ago on the Three Angels' Message, and we will surely be blessed this quarter also.

*Study this week’s lesson, based on The Great Controversy, chapters 29–30, to prepare for Sabbath, April 6.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Re: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 1--2nd Quarter 2024--The Great Controversy
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 07:49:12 AM »
Sunday  March 31
War in Heaven

Read . What does this passage reveal about the freedom existing in heaven and the origin of evil? When Lucifer rebelled, in what ways could God have responded?

These verses describe a cosmic conflict between good and evil. Satan and his angels warred against Christ and, eventually, were cast out of heaven. It seems extremely strange that war would break out in such a perfect place as heaven. Why did it happen? Did a loving God create a demonic angel who initiated this war? Was there some fatal flaw in this angel that led him to rebel? The Bible clearly explains the origin of evil. It draws the curtain aside in this conflict between good and evil.

Compare ; Isaiah 14:12-14.

12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

What went on in the mind of this angelic being called Lucifer that led to his rebellion?

God did not create a devil. He created a being of dazzling brightness named Lucifer. This angelic being was created perfect. Included in his perfection was freedom of choice—a fundamental principle of God’s government, which runs by love, not coercion. Sin originated with Lucifer in heaven itself. There is no logical explanation why this perfect angel should have allowed pride and jealousy to take root in his heart and grow into rebellion against his Creator.

Lucifer, a created being, desired the worship that belonged only to the Creator. He attempted to usurp God’s throne by questioning God’s authority. His rebellion led to open warfare in heaven.

Although God bore long with Lucifer, He could not allow him to spoil heaven with his rebellion. “The heavenly councils pleaded with Lucifer. The Son of God presented before him the greatness, the goodness, and the justice of the Creator, and the sacred, unchanging nature of His law. God Himself had established the order of heaven; and in departing from it, Lucifer would dishonor his Maker, and bring ruin upon himself. But the warning, given in infinite love and mercy, only aroused a spirit of resistance.”—Ellen G. White, The Great Controversy, pp. 494, 495.

What lessons can you draw about God’s character in His dealing with evil?

He is very patient and all wise. But, grace has its end when that still small voice can no longer be heard. God's mercy does not exclude justice. Both met at the cross.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 07:50:54 AM »
Monday  April 1 
Lucifer Deceives; Christ Prevails

There is no logical explanation for why Lucifer, this perfect angel, should have allowed pride and jealousy to take root in his heart and grow into rebellion against his Creator. Satan’s pride ripened into open rebellion. He accused God of being unjust and unfair. He infected the angels with his doubts and accusations.

Read Rev. 12:4.

And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.

What does this passage reveal about Satan’s ability to deceive? How many of the angels fell for his lies about God?

1/3 of the angels were deceived. Amazing that they would believe Lucifer over God! We ought to take note of this., and the deception of Eve, and the deception of Israel, the chosen ones, and sadly today he has been just as successful at deceiving those who have been chosen to give great light. Israel we are told is and ensample for those who the ends of the world is come. That is us!

When war broke out in heaven, the angels had to decide—would they follow Jesus or Lucifer? What was the nature of this war in heaven? Was it a physical war, or a war of ideas, or both? We don’t know the details, but the conflict was physical enough that Satan and his angels eventually were “cast out,” and a place was not “found for them in heaven any longer”. This war obviously includes some kind of physical element.

One thing is certain about the war in heaven. Every angel had to decide for or against Christ. Whom would they follow? Whose voice would they listen to? The loyal angels chose to be obedient to Christ’s loving commands, while one-third of the angels listened to the voice of Lucifer, disobeyed God, and lost heaven. We, too, in this critical time of earth’s history, are called to decide for or against Christ. We, too, are to declare whose side we are on—Christ’s or Satan’s.

Read Genesis 2:15-17; Exodus 32:26; Joshua 24:15; 1 Kings 18:20-21; . What fundamental principle in the great controversy do these verses teach us?

When God created humanity, He embedded deep within our brains the ability to think, to reason, and to choose. The essence of our humanness is our ability to make moral choices. We are not mere robots. We were created in God’s image, distinct from the animal creation, in our ability to make moral choices and live by eternal spiritual principles. After Lucifer’s rebellion in heaven, and after the Fall, God has called His people to respond to His love and be obedient to His commands by choosing to serve Him.

What lessons can we learn from the battle in heaven that relates to our own personal battle with evil? If Satan was able to deceive these righteous, holy heavenly beings, what does this say about his evil attempts to deceive us?

Sadly, many are so deceived they do not know they are miserable, wretched, and poor, blind and naked. They do not see they are in a lost state.  Read what Jesus says to the last of the seven churches found in Rev. 3:14-22.

14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and True Witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
22 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

It would be good to understand how important this message of the True Witness to the Laodiceans is to our church today.

The testimony of the True Witness has not been half heeded. The solemn testimony upon which the destiny of the church hangs has been lightly esteemed, if not entirely disregarded. This testimony must work deep repentance, and all that truly receive it will obey it and be purified. Vol 1,Testimonies for the Church; pg 181.

The Bold is for my emphasis revealing the importance of these Inspired Words which are often overlooked.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 07:55:27 AM »
Tuesday  April 2
Planet Earth Becomes Involved

When God created the earth, He created it perfect. The Bible says that He “saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good” (Genesis 1:31). There was no stain of sin or evil anywhere. But He gave Adam and Eve the same freedom of choice He had given to Lucifer. He didn’t want robots on earth any more than He wanted robots in heaven.

It is good to know that Lucifer had not sinned when God created the Earth. Can someone share where we can find this in the Bible or Spirit or Prophecy? Gen 1:31 appears to mean what He created on the Earth.

In fact, He went out of His way to make this freedom clear. He planted a tree in the Garden and called it the tree of knowledge of good and evil. He made a point of telling Adam and Eve about it because He wanted to make sure they knew they had a choice.

Satan came to the tree, and as Eve lingered there, he told her: “ ‘You will not surely die. For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil’ ” (Genesis 3:4-5). In other words, if you eat of this tree, you will enter a new sphere of existence. You will have excitement. You will have a thrill that you’ve never known before. Eve, God is keeping something from you. Here, take the forbidden fruit and eat it.

When Eve and later Adam made that choice, they opened a door that God wanted to keep forever closed. It was the doorway to sin—the doorway to suffering, heartache, sickness, and death.

Eve thought God lied, and believed Satan. Adam wanted his wife more than God.  Thus, sin entered the world and we poor creatures inherit a fallen evil nature that can do no good thing until born of the Spirit.

Read Genesis 3:1-3; Romans 3:23; Romans 5:12. What do these texts have in common? Describe the ultimate results of sin that plague the entire human race.

At its very core, sin is rebellion against God. Sin separates us from God. Since God is the Source of life, separation from God leads to death. It also leads to worry, anxiety, sickness, and disease. The suffering in our world is ultimately the result of living on a sin-ravaged planet. This certainly does not mean that every time we suffer, we have sinned. It does mean that every one of us is affected by living on this planet.

Amen! W.hen abiding in Jesus and He in us, we glory in our tribulation knowing it works for our good and His glory.

Read Genesis 3:15; Leviticus 5:5-6; John 1:29.

15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

5 And it shall be, when he shall be guilty in one of these things, that he shall confess that he hath sinned in that thing:
6 And he shall bring his trespass offering unto the LORD for his sin which he hath sinned, a female from the flock, a lamb or a kid of the goats, for a sin offering; and the priest shall make an atonement for him concerning his sin.

29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

What promise did God give Adam and Eve in the Garden after they sinned that would give them hope in their despair?

God promised His Son would be hurt, which was necessary for us  be transformed into saints. The first part of Gen. 3:15 tells us we can be transformed. Instead of being at enmity with God, we can be aligned with Him and at enmity with Satan. Do you yet hate Satan and sin? Or are you still at enmity with God. We cannot serve both at the same time.   "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon." Matt. 6:24.

What service did God initiate in Eden that would point them forward through the centuries to the solution to the sin problem?

The fourth commandment, the Sabbath a day of rest wherein we would know and remember what God made for us and His creative power that we would need in order to be transformed from sinners to saints. Such wonderful truth!!  He loves us!!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2024, 07:56:21 AM »
Wednesday  April 3
Love Finds a Way

Adam and Eve have sinned, and God has told them that they must leave their garden home. From now on, toil and suffering will be their lot. Will they have to suffer and finally die with no hope? Is death the end of everything?

It was at this point that God gave them the promise recorded in Genesis 3:15. Looking directly at Satan, the serpent, He said: "And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel."  They may not have fully understood at that moment exactly what this meant, but they knew they could hope again. In some way, through the “Seed of the woman,” their redemption would come.

The “Seed of the woman,” of course, is Jesus Christ (Galatians 3:16). At the cross, Satan bruised His heel. But Jesus’ victory is our guarantee that one day the serpent’s head will be crushed. The door of suffering and death that Adam and Eve opened will one day be closed.

"Thy seed" is more than Jesus, it is all of humanity also. We all are children of Adam and Eve. That is why we all are fallen from grace and at war with God until we are given enmity towards Satan and sin at conversion. We come into the world at enmity with God and aligned with Satan. There was no hope for Adam and Eve until God promised they could be changed. Instead of being at enmity with God, because of the sacrifice of Christ, there was hope that man, her seed, could be at enmity with Satan and aligned with God. What must man do in order to obtain this promised enmity? We must love the Lord our God with the whole heart. God has done His part. It remains with us to do our part. God's part is immeasurably large, our part is immeasurably small.

Read Hebrews 2:9; Galatians 3:13; 2 Corinthians 5:21. What do these verses tell us about the immensity of Christ’s sacrifice on the cross?

Do you ever wonder if God really loves you? Look at the Cross—look at the crown of thorns, look at the nails in His hands and feet. With every drop of blood that Jesus shed on Calvary, God is saying, “I love you. I do not want to be in heaven without you. Yes, you’ve sinned; you sold yourself into the hand of the enemy; yes, in and of yourself you are unworthy of eternal life. But I’ve paid the ransom to get you back.” When you look at the Cross, you never have to wonder again if you’re loved.

Amen! And we are told that by beholding the bleeding back of our Savior, we shall be healed. Those stripes He took belonged to you and me. "He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5.

The Bible speaks of a Jesus who came to this world and experienced heartache, disappointment, and pain in common with all humanity. It reveals a Christ who faced the same temptations we face—a Christ who triumphed over the principalities and powers of hell both in His life and through His death on the cross—all for each one of us, personally.

Think about it: Jesus, the One who created the cosmos (see John 1:3), stepped down from heaven and not only came into this fallen world but suffered in it in ways none of us ever will (see Isaiah 53:1-5). And He did it because He loved us—each of us. What a powerful reason to hope!

How did Christ answer Satan’s charges on the cross? In the light of the great controversy between good and evil, what did His death accomplish?

Satan charged God with being selfish and unfair. He said that God was asking us to not sin when we can do nothing but sin. He also said that God could not save those who sinned. That He must punish all who sin, as he was punished for his sin. But, Satan was wrong. God is fair and guilty man can be saved because justice was served when Christ paid the price for the sins of the whole world. He suffered for every sin that every person would ever do. Thus God could forgive all who would accept His great sacrifice and be transformed in character, a character fit for heaven.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2024, 07:56:59 AM »
Thursday  April 4
Our High Priest

What Jesus did for us on the cross enables Him also to intercede for us in heaven. Our resurrected Lord is our great High Priest, providing everything we need to be saved and to live in God’s kingdom forever.

Read Hebrews 4:15-16; Hebrews 7:25. How do these verses give us assurance in a world of temptation, suffering, disease, and death?

The text says that He “was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin” (Hebrews 4:15). And it adds, “Let us therefore come boldly”—that means confidently—“to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need” (Hebrews 4:16).

To state it very simply, Jesus presents us before the universe as clothed in His righteousness, saved by His death, and redeemed through His blood. Everything we should have been, He was. In Christ there is no condemnation for the sins of our past. In Christ our guilt is gone, and through His mighty intercession, the grip of sin on our lives is broken. The chains that bind us are loosed, and we are free.

Read John 17:24-26.

24 Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.
25 O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me.
26 And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.

What is Christ’s longing desire in the great controversy between good and evil?

“When the great sacrifice had been consummated, Christ ascended on high, refusing the adoration of angels until He had presented the request: ‘I will that they also, whom Thou hast given Me, be with Me where I am.’ John 17:24. Then with inexpressible love and power came forth the answer from the Father’s throne: ‘Let all the angels of God worship Him.’ Hebrews 1:6. Not a stain rested upon Jesus. His humiliation ended, His sacrifice completed, there was given unto Him a name that is above every name.”—Ellen G. White, The Great Controversy, pp. 501, 502.
Jesus wants more than anything else for us to be with Him in heaven. The desire of His heart, the reason for His death and intercession, is to save us. Do you have a special need in your life? Tell it to Jesus. Where there is sorrow, He brings comfort. Where there is fear, He brings peace. Where there is guilt, He brings forgiveness. Where there is weakness, He brings strength.

Why do you think Christ sacrificed Himself for us? What makes us so valuable to Him?

It is His character of love that caused Him to suffer in our place. But, that love needed to fulfill His justice which required He pay the price for all of humanity. It was not just His death that was involved as many think. Death brought rest and peace. It was His suffering that paid the price for our sins. He suffered for every single sin. So it will be for all who reject His love and offer of living in a world without sin. They will suffer before they die, for every single sin. Death will bring an end to their suffering. They will  not burn for eternity. That is not justice, but evil. Our God is perfectly just. All will suffer according to the sins done in the flesh. Not one stripe too many, nor one stripe too few.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2024, 07:57:36 AM »
Friday  April 5
Further Thought

“In the banishment of Satan from heaven, God declared His justice and maintained the honor of His throne. But when man had sinned through yielding to the deceptions of this apostate spirit, God gave an evidence of His love by yielding up His only-begotten Son to die for the fallen race. In the atonement the character of God is revealed. The mighty argument of the cross demonstrates to the whole universe that the course of sin which Lucifer had chosen was in no wise chargeable upon the government of God.”—Ellen G. White, The Great Controversy, pp. 500, 501.

Amen!! Bad things happen to good people because of what Satan has done.

“The cross of Calvary, while it declares the law immutable, proclaims to the universe that the wages of sin is death. In the Saviour’s expiring cry, ‘It is finished,’ the death knell of Satan was rung. The great controversy which had been so long in progress was then decided, and the final eradication of evil was made certain. The Son of God passed through the portals of the tomb, that ‘through death He might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil.’ Hebrews 2:14.”—Ellen G. White, The Great Controversy, p. 503.

Discussion Questions

If God knew that Lucifer was going to rebel, why did He give him the power of choice in the first place? Or when Lucifer rebelled, why didn’t God just annihilate him immediately? What kind of reaction might the unfallen universe have had if God had immediately wiped Lucifer out? Why is the concept of the universe’s interest in the plan of salvation (1 Peter 1:12; ; ) so important to understanding the great controversy?

We understand that Jesus didn't just die for ourselves. Jesus suffered and died that we might have an opportunity to be saved, But more important God wants to put an end to sin for eternity., He left satan alive that the universe and us might understand the results of disobedience. And God wants the entire universe to rightly understand His character of love. We are the lesson book of the universe.

What reason or reasons can you think of for Christ’s death on the cross? Was it only to reveal the character of God? Was it to pay the ransom price for sin? If so, to whom was the ransom paid? Share your thoughts and give biblical reasons for them.

Gen 3:15 tells us the story. It is the everlasting covenant. God promises that He will give to man a second chance to live in a world without sin for eternity. In order for this to happen, Christ had to suffer for every sin of every person that we might have this opportunity. Gen 3:15 also tells us that if we accept this offer, we will have to be transformed in character. We will have to love the Lord our God with all of the heart. When we do this, we will have the enmity against Satan and sin instead of having enmity towards God.

"When the message of truth is presented in our day, there are many who, like the Jews, cry, Show us a sign. Work us a miracle. Christ wrought no miracle at the demand of the Pharisees. He wrought no miracle in the wilderness in answer to Satan's insinuations. He does not impart to us power to vindicate ourselves or to satisfy the demands of unbelief and pride. But the gospel is not without a sign of its divine origin. Is it not a miracle that we can break from the bondage of Satan? Enmity against Satan is not natural to the human heart; it is implanted by the grace of God. When one who has been controlled by a stubborn, wayward will is set free, and yields himself wholeheartedly to the drawing of God's heavenly agencies, a miracle is wrought; so also when a man who has been under strong delusion comes to understand moral truth. Every time a soul is converted, and learns to love God and keep His commandments, the promise of God is fulfilled, "A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you." Ezekiel 36:26. The change in human hearts, the transformation of human characters, is a miracle that reveals an ever-living Saviour, working to rescue souls. A consistent life in Christ is a great miracle. In the preaching of the word of God, the sign that should be manifest now and always is the presence of the Holy Spirit, to make the word a regenerating power to those that hear. This is God's witness before the world to the divine mission of His Son." Desire of Ages.

When we use the term “the great controversy,” what do we mean? Discuss the various aspects of the great controversy and how this week’s lesson applies to your own life.

Satan charges God with being unfair to us in that He requires us to keep His commandments when he says we can't. Every time we sin, Satan's claim is supported.

What Bible texts talk about the reality of the great controversy? (See, for instance, Job 1:1-2:13; Ephesians 6:12.)
    How is the Seventh-day Adventist understanding unique among other Christian denominations? What is it in this great controversy theme that sets Adventists apart?

The great controversy is the battle between Christ and Satan. Satan charges God with being unfair to angels and man. He claims God is selfish. He was successful with angels in heaven and with Adam and Eve so that all of humanity comes into this world in need of a transformation of character. When God has a people who understand this and cease to sin, then Jesus will come. His people will then reveal the power of God's great love to transform sinners into saints who can go through a time of trouble such as never was. We are the lesson book for the universe. Satan will be seen to be wrong and God's love will be revealed in such a way that sin will never ever return to the universe. "affliction shall not rise up the second time." Nahum 1:9.