Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--8--The Passover Visit  (Read 18899 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--8--The Passover Visit
« Reply #120 on: June 15, 2023, 06:14:27 PM »
Amen Pastor Sean!  We need to know the voice of Jesus.

We are a forgetful people. Like the disciples when in the boat with Jesus and they thought they would perish because they forgot Jesus was with them, so it is too often with us, we forget Jesus. The lesson we must learn is that we do not have to purposefully separate from Him, we only need to forget Him. We must learn to cling to Him.

In our association with one another, we should take heed lest we forget Jesus, and pass along unmindful that He is not with us. When we become absorbed in worldly things so that we have no thought for Him in whom our hope of eternal life is centered, we separate ourselves from Jesus and from the heavenly angels. These holy beings cannot remain where the Saviour's presence is not desired, and His absence is not marked. This is why discouragement so often exists among the professed followers of Christ.    

We have been given one day a week that we forget not God. That is a very good thing. But, it is not good enough to keep Jesus in our mind continually. Do we have morning devotions and morning and evening worship? We are saved by grace, but God does not give us grace for tomorrow, we must come to Christ daily for fresh supplies.

It would be well for us to spend a thoughtful hour each day in contemplation of the life of Christ. We should take it point by point, and let the imagination grasp each scene, especially the closing ones. As we thus dwell upon His great sacrifice for us, our confidence in Him will be more constant, our love will be quickened, and we shall be more deeply imbued with His spirit. If we would be saved at last, we must learn the lesson of penitence and humiliation at the foot of the cross.
     As we associate together, we may be a blessing to one another. If we are Christ's, our sweetest thoughts will be of Him. We shall love to talk of Him; and as we speak to one another of His love, our hearts will be softened by divine influences. Beholding the beauty of His character, we shall be "changed into the same image from glory to glory." 2 Corinthians 3:18.

Do we want to be a reflection of the character of our God? That is how we give glory to Him. Now we know how this miracle can be. By beholding His glory (character) we are changed into His image (character).  Praise God and tell the world!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #121 on: September 09, 2023, 08:52:57 PM »
"Many attend religious services, and are refreshed and comforted by the word of God."

"However, through neglect of meditation, watchfulness, and prayer, they lose the blessing."

" Then find themselves more destitute than before they received it."

" Often they feel that God has dealt hardly with them".

"They do not see that the fault is their own."

"By separating themselves from Jesus, they have shut away the light of His presence."

"It would be well for us to spend a thoughtful hour each day in contemplation of the life of Christ.

"We should take it point by point, and let the imagination grasp each scene, especially the closing ones

Are "WE" willing to Take Time to be Holy - To speak oft with our Lord?  If we truly love someone we do your best to make time to be with them don't we? So if we say we love Jesus and don't make time to spend with Him, are we not being dishonest with ourselves??

=============================
Open my eyes that I may see
Glimpses of truth Thou hast for me;
Place in my hands the wonderful key
That shall unclasp and set me free.
    Silently now I wait for Thee,
Ready, my God, Thy will to see;
Open my eyes, illumine me,
    Spirit Divine!
Open my ears that I may hear
Voices of truth Thou sendest clear;
And while the wave notes fall on my ear,
Everything false will disappear.
Open my mouth and let me bear
Tidings of mercy everywhere;
Open my heart and let me prepare
Love with Thy children thus to share.
Open my mind that I may read
More of Thy love in word and deed;
What shall I fear while yet Thou dost lead?
Only for light from Thee I plead.

"As we thus dwell upon His great sacrifice for us, our confidence in Him will be more constant, our love will be quickened, and we shall be more deeply imbued with His spirit"

Are "WE" willing to Take Time to be Holy - To speak oft with our Lord?  If we truly love someone we do your best to make time to be with them don't we? So if we say we love Jesus and don't make time to spend with Him, are we not being dishonest with ourselves??

=========================

1 Open my eyes that I may see
Glimpses of truth Thou hast for me;
Place in my hands the wonderful key
That shall unclasp and set me free.
    Silently now I wait for Thee,
Ready, my God, Thy will to see;
Open my eyes, illumine me,
    Spirit Divine!
Open my ears that I may hear
Voices of truth Thou sendest clear;
And while the wave notes fall on my ear,
Everything false will disappear.
Open my mouth and let me bear
Tidings of mercy everywhere;
Open my heart and let me prepare
Love with Thy children thus to share.
Open my mind that I may read
More of Thy love in word and deed;
What shall I fear while yet Thou dost lead?
Only for light from Thee I plead.

Lyrics & Music: Clara H. Scott
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2023, 05:23:27 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!!

Is your mission opening up to you? It will if you look to Jesus and follow His word.

"As His mission had opened to Jesus in the temple, He shrank from contact with the multitude. He wished to return from Jerusalem in quietness, with those who knew the secret of His life. By the paschal service, God was seeking to call His people away from their worldly cares, and to remind them of His wonderful work in their deliverance from Egypt. In this work He desired them to see a promise of deliverance from sin. As the blood of the slain lamb sheltered the homes of Israel, so the blood of Christ was to save their souls; but they could be saved through Christ only as by faith they should make His life their own. There was virtue in the symbolic service only as it directed the worshipers to Christ as their personal Saviour. God desired that they should be led to prayerful study and meditation in regard to Christ's mission. But as the multitudes left Jerusalem, the excitement of travel and social intercourse too often absorbed their attention, and the service they had witnessed was forgotten. The Saviour was not attracted to their company." {The Desire of Ages, page 82, paragraph 2}

Just as Jesus was the foundation of the sacrificial system as the Lamb of God, it is as we accept Him as the Lamb of God as our personal Lord and Savior that our characters become changed into the image of His loveliness. All of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing come into the character of one who abides in Christ by a living faith surrender and the renunciation of every sin that the Spirit of God reveals. It is those who are described thus that are ready to meet Him at His second coming as living witnesses of His transforming gospel of grace:

"And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Sion, and with Him an hundred forty and four thousand, having His Father's name written in their foreheads. And I heard a voice from heaven, as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of a great thunder: and I heard the voice of harpers harping with their harps: And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth. These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever He goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb.And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God" (Revelation 14:1-5). The 144,000 understand the mission that Christ gives them, and they herald the most solemn and sacred message ever given to mortals:

"And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to Him; for the hour of His judgment is come: and worship Him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters. And there followed another angel, saying, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication. And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, if any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, the same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name. Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus" (Revelation 14:6-12).

Many others leading up the second coming also gave the three angels' messages, but they were mercifully laid to rest and will be resurrected to be a part of the great multitude of saints that will also meet Jesus at His second coming, having not experientially lived through the time of trouble as did the 144,000, the living saints who see Jesus come without ever dying.  Understand the message and mission of Christ, and also the message and mission of God's remnant church that God raises up to herald this message gives stability, purpose and Christlike loveliness to the character that is focused on winning souls into the kingdom of God--a kingdom that lasts forever!!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2023, 05:53:42 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean!  This is our mission. To give the gospel message to a world soon to perish. And by living the gospel revealing the power of grace to transform sinners into saints that manifest all of the fruits of His Spirit. And how can this be, as Nicodemus asked Jesus.  What did Jesus say? "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man  be lifted up."  Why? That we might "look and live." This is the grace by which we are transformed. Paul tells us we are saved by grace. How can that be?  Paul tells us in 2 Cor. 3:18.   By beholding the glory of God, His character, we are changed into His image, which is His character. And what did Brother Beacon share this morning?

"It would be well for us to spend a thoughtful hour each day in contemplation of the life of Christ.

"We should take it point by point, and let the imagination grasp each scene, especially the closing ones

Do we three speak according to Scripture? Are we of one Spirit, of one mind. We invite you to join with us as we share the gospel with a world soon to perish.

And this is how we are able do it, by daily beholding the glory of God:

Many attend religious services, and are refreshed and comforted by the word of God; but through neglect of meditation, watchfulness, and prayer, they lose the blessing, and find themselves more destitute than before they received it. Often they feel that God has dealt hardly with them. They do not see that the fault is their own. By separating themselves from Jesus, they have shut away the light of His presence.
     It would be well for us to spend a thoughtful hour each day in contemplation of the life of Christ. We should take it point by point, and let the imagination grasp each scene, especially the closing ones. As we thus dwell upon His great sacrifice for us, our confidence in Him will be more constant, our love will be quickened, and we shall be more deeply imbued with His spirit. If we would be saved at last, we must learn the lesson of penitence and humiliation at the foot of the cross.
     As we associate together, we may be a blessing to one another. If we are Christ's, our sweetest thoughts will be of Him. We shall love to talk of Him; and as we speak to one another of His love, our hearts will be softened by divine influences. Beholding the beauty of His character, we shall be "changed into the same image from glory to glory." 2 Corinthians 3:18.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #124 on: September 10, 2023, 06:07:41 AM »
Let us also include in our unified group Sister Dorine who is preaching the same thing. From five years ago:

"In our association with one another, we should take heed lest we forget Jesus, and pass along unmindful that He is not with us. When we become absorbed in worldly things so that we have no thought for Him in whom our hope of eternal life is centered, we separate ourselves from Jesus and from the heavenly angels. These holy beings cannot remain where the Saviour's presence is not desired, and His absence is not marked. This is why discouragement so often exists among the professed followers of Christ. 
     Many attend religious services, and are refreshed and comforted by the word of God; but through neglect of meditation, watchfulness, and prayer, they lose the blessing, and find themselves more destitute than before they received it. Often they feel that God has dealt hardly with them. They do not see that the fault is their own. By separating themselves from Jesus, they have shut away the light of His presence. 
     As we associate together, we may be a blessing to one another. If we are Christ's, our sweetest thoughts will be of Him. We shall love to talk of Him; and as we speak to one another of His love, our hearts will be softened by divine influences. Beholding the beauty of His character, we shall be "changed into the same image from glory to glory." 2 Corinthians 3:18."

In deciding what to post I couldn't limit it to just a few sentences. This whole section spoke directly to me. I read it over a few times to let it sink in. How easy it is to forget Jesus when in the influence of others that are caught up in worldly conversation and activities. The most startling warning was the sentence that says the holy angels cannot remain where the Saviour's presence is not desired. Do we truly understand what that is saying?

I especially love the very last paragraph.

And this is not something new for Pastor Sean or me. From seven years ago:

Over over we repeat the Biblical truth that by beholding we become changed. It is the way we are converted and maintain that conversion.

In our association with one another, we should take heed lest we forget Jesus, and pass along unmindful that He is not with us. When we become absorbed in worldly things so that we have no thought for Him in whom our hope of eternal life is centered, we separate ourselves from Jesus and from the heavenly angels. These holy beings cannot remain where the Saviour's presence is not desired, and His absence is not marked. This is why discouragement so often exists among the professed followers of Christ. 

I am again drawn to the second to last paragraph--"It would be well for us to spend a thoughtful hour each day in contemplation of the life of Christ. We should take it point by point, and let the imagination grasp each scene, especially the closing ones. As we thus dwell upon His great sacrifice for us, our confidence in Him will be more constant, our love will be quickened, and we shall be more deeply imbued with His spirit. If we would be saved at last, we must learn the lesson of penitence and humiliation at the foot of the cross." {DA 83.4}. As I composed these words into song, I was struck by the phrase "our confidence in Him will be more constant"--I anticipate that having stronger confidence in Christ in times of trial would allow for a continual accession of vital power--the power of divine grace in the life whereby the soul is made a conquering power in the experience of the duties daily devolving upon the Christian. I take as a promise that "our love will be quickened"--made more full of life--and I pray for the experience of an ever-deepening repentance as I see what Jesus has done for me. I am grateful that Jesus Christ has trod the path of life so that victory is available to me as I behold Him. May we as His people not fail to gain the blessing ever flowing to us from our Bibles and the Spirit of Prophecy--especially the Desire of Ages--much like how Mary and Joseph "were in danger of failing to appreciate the blessing granted them in the presence of the world's Redeemer." {DA 81.5} We are more highly privileged than they in many ways--we have not just the light they had, but blessing upon blessing, and the light that illuminates the experience of Jesus and their own through inspiration brought us from God. I love the Spirit of Prophecy!

Remnant Online has been consistent in preaching the gospel of grace from its beginning 23 years ago. I took a quick look to find something and here from 20 years ago it may be clearly seen:

Sister Michelle, this is the blessing that so many fail to see. The cost to God our Father and Jesus was great that we might have this blessing. We are in great need of help. We cannot do any good thing without help from Jesus. He stands at so many doors knocking, wanting in. If we would only acknowlege our sin and our need, we would be so happy. A life with Christ is full of hope and joy. While we refuse this submission, we keep our guilt and sin. There is no peace, no joy, only despair that comes from selfishness. <P>It is not a shameful thing to be born in sin. It is not our fault, but it is very sad to refuse to come to Jesus and to give Him our sins that we may be purified. If we fall, we ought not be discouraged. The more we learn of our Saviour and our heavenly Father the more we understand their willingness to forgive even the most horrid sins. We are saved by this grace. As we comprehend the great sacrifice and our utter dullness in not accepting it, or forgetting it so that we sin again, we are brought to our knees in contrition. His grace is sufficient for any of my sins IF I will bring them to Him. But, if I play the game of church and say that I am "saved" and cling to my sins and do not let Jesus have them, I will be in that group to whom Jesus says "I know you not."

There is no need for this. Jesus has provided a sacrifice and a robe that we may have free. We need do no works of righteousness. Why then is it so hard to be saved?  Because the gift of salvation costs all that we have. We must bring to Jesus our sin polluted hearts. We must confess our nothingness without Christ. This is offensive to the natural heart where self resides. Self does not want to die.

The free gift of eternal life with Christ is within reach of each of us. We must first see that we are undone and under condemnation of the broken law. Then we must learn of our God that we can truly trust Him with our souls. When we behold this love our hearts will go out to Him. This is the only gospel that can save. We are saved by grace. It is the "goodness of God that leadeth thee to repentance" and "godly sorrow worketh repentance unto salvation." By beholding this love of Christ we become changed into His image. Such a blessing!

Beacon

« Reply #125 on: December 05, 2023, 08:38:03 PM »
"In our association with one another, we should take heed lest we forget Jesus, and pass along unmindful that He is not with us."

'When we become absorbed in worldly things so that we have no thought for Him in whom our hope of eternal life is centered, we separate ourselves from Jesus and from the heavenly angels. These holy beings cannot remain where the Saviour's presence is not desired, and His absence is not marked."

"This is why discouragement so often exists among the professed followers of Christ."   

"We have been given one day a week that we forget not God. That is a very good thing. But, it is not good enough to keep Jesus in our mind continually. Do we have morning devotions and morning and evening worship? We are saved by grace, but God does not give us grace for tomorrow, we must come to Christ daily for fresh supplies."

"It would be well for us to spend a thoughtful hour each day in contemplation of the life of Christ. We should take it point by point, and let the imagination grasp each scene, especially the closing ones. As we thus dwell upon His great sacrifice for us, our confidence in Him will be more constant, our love will be quickened, and we shall be more deeply imbued with His spirit."

" If we would be saved at last, we must learn the lesson of penitence and humiliation at the foot of the cross."

===========================
Living for Jesus a life that is true,
Striving to please Him in all that I do;
Yielding allegiance, glad-hearted and free,
This is the pathway of blessing for me.
    O Jesus, Lord and Savior,
I give myself to Thee,
For Thou, in Thy [redemption],*
Didst give Thyself for me;
I own no other Master,
My heart shall be Thy throne,
My life I give, henceforth to live,
O Christ, for Thee alone.
Living for Jesus who died in my place,
Bearing on Calv’ry my sin and disgrace;
Such love constrains me to answer His call,
Follow His leading and give Him my all.
Living for Jesus wherever I am,
Doing each duty in His holy name;
Willing to suffer affliction and loss,
Deeming each trial a part of my cross.
Living for Jesus through earth’s little while,
My dearest treasure, the light of His smile;
Seeking the lost ones He died to redeem,
Bringing the weary to find rest in Him.

Lyrics:Thomas Obediah Chisholm (1866-1960)
Music:Carl Harold Lowden (1883-1963)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #126 on: December 06, 2023, 06:02:21 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!!

By spending time with Jesus, we are SO BLESSED! Then we can go forth to bless others because being with Jesus changes us to  become more like Him! All of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be revealed in our lives as we surrender fully to Christ and walk in humble, affectionate obedience to all of God's commandments!

"It would be well for us to spend a thoughtful hour each day in contemplation of the life of Christ. We should take it point by point, and let the imagination grasp each scene, especially the closing ones. As we thus dwell upon His great sacrifice for us, our confidence in Him will be more constant, our love will be quickened, and we shall be more deeply imbued with His spirit. If we would be saved at last, we must learn the lesson of penitence and humiliation at the foot of the cross." {The Desire of Ages, page 83, paragraph 4}

"As we associate together, we may be a blessing to one another. If we are Christ's, our sweetest thoughts will be of Him. We shall love to talk of Him; and as we speak to one another of His love, our hearts will be softened by divine influences. Beholding the beauty of His character, we shall be 'changed into the same image from glory to glory.' 2 Corinthians 3:18." {The Desire of Ages, page 83, paragraph 5}

God keeps His word. By beholding Christ, we will be changed. Not one need be lost if each will come to Jesus and let Him change our hearts, minds and lives as we cooperate with the Holy Spirit in how God leads us day by day in preparation for heaven!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #127 on: December 06, 2023, 06:04:29 AM »
"As we associate together, we may be a blessing to one another. If we are Christ's, our sweetest thoughts will be of Him. We shall love to talk of Him; and as we speak to one another of His love, our hearts will be softened by divine influences. Beholding the beauty of His character, we shall be "changed into the same image from glory to glory." 2 Corinthians 3:18.
When in the company of believers that love to speak of Jesus there is a unity that brings strength and courage for each other and as the Holy Spirit fills our hearts with His presence we will reveal to the world the beautiful character of God.
  • Love will be the basis of all we do and
  • joy will fill our hearts as a divine peace abides there.
  • We will be longsuffering towards others showing mercy as Jesus does with us.
  • Although speaking truth it will be done in gentleness.
  • Our goodness will be visible to all around us but we will not be aware of it.
  • We will be meek in our estimation of our selves, putting others above ourselves.
  • Faith will be strong and we will be
  • temperate in all things. This is the heart of Jesus and it's available to each one that seeks it.
Galatians 5:22,23
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #128 on: December 06, 2023, 08:32:29 AM »
Week after week, day after day, we are given great light in regards to how we can obtain love, joy, and peace in this world and assure ourselves that we may live forever in a world without sin. What we four are sharing today is nothing new, but it is stated so plainly that all who are reading may understand what we must do in order to receive eternal life.

We remember that Jesus told His disciples that they must "watch and pray" that they might not sin. This was in Gethsemane just before Jesus was taken captive. They did not watch and pray and all sinned against Jesus. It was a divine truth presented to His disciples and also to us today. Prayerfully read the last paragraphs in today's reading and you will be blessed to understand what we must do in order to be saved.

We begin with what happened to Mary and Joseph when they took their eyes off of Jesus when they left Jerusalem when Jesus was 12 years old.

If Joseph and Mary had stayed their minds upon God by meditation and prayer, they would have realized the sacredness of their trust, and would not have lost sight of Jesus. By one day's neglect they lost the Saviour; but it cost them three days of anxious search to find Him. So with us; by idle talk, evilspeaking, or neglect of prayer, we may in one day lose the Saviour's presence, and it may take many days of sorrowful search to find Him, and regain the peace that we have lost.

Beacon

« Reply #129 on: February 29, 2024, 08:31:46 PM »
"In our association with one another, we should take heed lest we forget Jesus, and pass along unmindful that He is not with us."

"When we become absorbed in worldly things so that we have no thought for Him in whom our hope of eternal life is centered, we separate ourselves from Jesus and from the heavenly angels. These holy beings cannot remain where the Saviour's presence is not desired, and His absence is not marked."

"This is why discouragement so often exists among the professed followers of Christ."

"Many attend religious services, and are refreshed and comforted by the word of God; but through neglect of meditation, watchfulness, and prayer, they lose the blessing, and find themselves more destitute than before they received it."

"Often they feel that God has dealt hardly with them."

"They do not see that the fault is their own."

"By separating themselves from Jesus, they have shut away the light of His presence.

Our prayer and goal should be 'Nearer, still Nearer My God to Thee! Let "US" determine that by spending more time with Jesus the things of earth that distract us now will grow strangely dim in the light of His Glory and Grace.

======================
Beneath the cross of Jesus
  I fain would take my stand,
The shadow of a mighty Rock
  Within a weary land;
A home within the wilderness,
  A rest upon the way,
From the burning of the noontide heat,
  And the burden of the day.
Oh, safe and happy shelter!
  Oh, refuge tried and sweet!
Oh, trysting place where heaven’s love
  And heaven’s justice meet.
As to the holy patriarch
  That wondrous dream was given,
So is my Savior by the cross
  A ladder up to heaven.
There lies beneath its shadow,
  But on the farther side,
The darkness of an awful grave
  That gapes both deep and wide;
And there between us stands the cross,
  Two arms outstretched to save,
Like a watchman set to guard the way
  From that eternal grave.
Upon that cross of Jesus
  Mine eye at times can see
The very dying form of One,
  Who suffered there for me;
And from my smitten heart, with tears,
  Two wonders I confess,
The wonders of His glorious love,
  And my own worthlessness.
I take, O cross, thy shadow
  For my abiding place;
I ask no other sunshine than
  The sunshine of His face;
Content to let the world go by,
  To know no gain nor loss,
My sinful self my only shame,
  My glory all the cross.

Lyrics:Elizabeth Cecilia Clephane (1830-1869)
Music:Frederick Charles Maker (1844-1927)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #130 on: March 01, 2024, 02:26:15 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon! In the Garden, Jesus told the disciples to watch and pray. They did not, and thus they deserted their Savior. When we let our minds wander away from Jesus, we have no protection against sin. In order to be a faithful witness of the power of grace, we must keep our eyes upon Jesus.

Amen!!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #131 on: March 01, 2024, 06:57:40 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Brother Richard!

The simplicity of the gospel is so profound that we are liable to undervalue it. Beholding the love of God in Christ, our hearts are drawn to Him. As we surrender to His wooing, humble love that awakens affectionate obedience in our hearts to Him who first loved us, the life we live takes on new significance and purpose because all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing are seen in the life that God directs in His path of selfless service. This is the beginning of life eternal and will only deepen throughout the ceaseless ages of eternity. Spend time with Jesus. It really matters. He really matters. All else in life without Him is "vanity of vanities" (Ecclesiastes 1:2), as Solomon sorrowfully learned. That is what Ecclesiastes is all about.

"From the joy of divine communion, Solomon turned to find satisfaction in the pleasures of sense." {Patriarchs and Prophets, page 76, paragraph 1}

And that is why all of life seemed utterly meaningless. But the very same things Solomon was blessed to do could have been very meaningful had he not lost sight of the purpose of his existence in knowing and loving God and being a true missionary. Solomon could have led by example in marrying a godly Israelite woman and doing all he did with an eye single to the purpose of furthering Israel's mission to win souls by revealing the Lamb of God who was to come. Though he failed in many respects, Solomon did repent. Praise God for second chances with God! He is so merciful!

When we have Jesus abiding in us, we see meaning and purpose in even the simplest life experiences, because we are doing all we do in union and communion with God in Christ by the Holy Spirit. Then the promise is fulfilled: "That your days may be multiplied, and the days of your children, in the land which the LORD sware unto your fathers to give them, as the days of heaven upon the earth" (Deuteronomy 11:21). We can have a veritable heaven in our souls even now by having Jesus abide in us continually, or we can be "wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked" (Revelation 3:17), having only a head knowledge of truth that we do not practice. That is what makes the Laodicean condition so utterly deplorable. Knowing truth that is not practiced with a heart in love with Jesus brings about an unconverted spiritual crisis. But Jesus has provided a RESCUE for each of us if we find ourselves in such a condition! Hear His heart nearly breaking with tears of pity, love, and yearning:

"I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me" (Revelation 3:18-20).

And have you ever wondered how to actually get those three remedies (gold tried in the fire, white raiment, and white raiment)? If you know what they actually are, you find them just the way the Israelites experienced healing in the wilderness when they looked to the uplifted serpent that represented the Savior lifted up on the cross. Faith working by love is the gold tried in the fire. "Gold is tried in the fire, that it may be purified from dross; but faith that is purified by trial, is more precious than refined gold." {Our High Calling, page 312, paragraph 2} We also need the white raiment, which is the righteousness of Christ. And the eyesalve is provided by the Holy Spirit in giving us a converted experience with true spiritual discernment. So...here is how we can experience this:

"It would be well for us to spend a thoughtful hour each day in contemplation of the life of Christ. We should take it point by point, and let the imagination grasp each scene, especially the closing ones. As we thus dwell upon His great sacrifice for us, our confidence in Him will be more constant, our love will be quickened, and we shall be more deeply imbued with His spirit. If we would be saved at last, we must learn the lesson of penitence and humiliation at the foot of the cross." {The Desire of Ages, page 83, paragraph 4}

It hard to put into words what life becomes like when we are having this converted experience. It is so healing. The confidence that we have in Christ is another way of saying we have His faith that works by love, helping us in each trial to persevere without a murmur of complaint. As we are more deeply imbued with His Spirit, we have eyesalve to discern His will in each situation so we are enabled to do nothing in any line that will displease God. Abiding in Christ's experience, we reflect His character and the white raiment of spiritual light diffused in and through us is a restoration of what our first parents lost when they sinned, for they were made in the image of God, of whom it is written: "Who coverest thyself with light as with a garment" (Psalm 104:2). So we, too, can be clothed in His light of selfless character--then there is an attractive loveliness about a life that is having this experience, drawing and wooing others so that many more will swell the anthem of praise that we will enjoy forever. Jesus is coming soon. Let Him first abide in you!

Dorine

« Reply #132 on: March 02, 2024, 04:16:20 AM »
"If Joseph and Mary had stayed their minds upon God by meditation and prayer, they would have realized the sacredness of their trust, and would not have lost sight of Jesus. By one day's neglect they lost the Saviour; but it cost them three days of anxious search to find Him. So with us; by idle talk, evilspeaking, or neglect of prayer, we may in one day lose the Saviour's presence, and it may take many days of sorrowful search to find Him, and regain the peace that we have lost.      
In our association with one another, we should take heed lest we forget Jesus, and pass along unmindful that He is not with us. When we become absorbed in worldly things so that we have no thought for Him in whom our hope of eternal life is centered, we separate ourselves from Jesus and from the heavenly angels. These holy beings cannot remain where the Saviour's presence is not desired, and His absence is not marked. This is why discouragement so often exists among the professed followers of Christ."

How dangerous it is to become complacent in our relationship with Christ. So many do not believe this warning. A loved one of mine did not believe that a God of love would allow you to be in and out of conversion just because you take your eyes off of Jesus periodically. He was bringing this up regularly in Sabbath School and no amount of scripture or SOP could convince him differently. About once or twice a year he would have bouts of severe depression with dark thoughts that could last anywhere from 1 to 6 months. He died very quickly after a diagnosis of cancer, (a couple of years ago) a millionaire. He was a faithful member in outward appearances and believed our message but could not reconcile what the bible says with what he felt. I tried many times to talk to him. He would say "yes but". This is exactly what Jesus is warning us of. May we take heed to all his counsel for it is a matter of life and death in the end.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14