Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--7--As a Child  (Read 14524 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--7--As a Child
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2020, 03:49:05 AM »
Trials mean benefit. They keep us on guard. The fact that Jesus was placed in a very trying place should encourage us that while we live in a very trying time in earth's history, just before Jesus returns, that He will give us strength to meet the emergencies of our life experiences, grace to surrender the whole heart to Him and be in a converted, abiding union and communion with Him, and freedom to walk in affectionate obedience to Christ whereby all of the fruits of the Spirit are manifest in and through the life to the glory of God's name!

"Christ was the only sinless one who ever dwelt on earth; yet for nearly thirty years He lived among the wicked inhabitants of Nazareth. This fact is a rebuke to those who think themselves dependent upon place, fortune, or prosperity, in order to live a blameless life. Temptation, poverty, adversity, is the very discipline needed to develop purity and firmness." {The Desire of Ages, page 72, paragraph 2}

When we go through trials and difficulties, let us not forget the promise God has given us that will not fail: "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it" (1 Corinthians 10:13). Will you turn to Christ in every difficulty? As we do, we find Him growing us in His image and giving us the grace to bear the experiences of that day, that we may be more like our Savior!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2020, 04:54:28 AM »
"Every child may gain knowledge as Jesus did. As we try to become acquainted with our heavenly Father through His word, angels will draw near, our minds will be strengthened, our characters will be elevated and refined. We shall become more like our Saviour. And as we behold the beautiful and grand in nature, our affections go out after God. While the spirit is awed, the soul is invigorated by coming in contact with the Infinite through His works. Communion with God through prayer develops the mental and moral faculties, and the spiritual powers strengthen as we cultivate thoughts upon spiritual things."

Here are words to live by. We grow in grace each day as we follow the life and example of Jesus from childhood through youth and adulthood. He has plainly shown us the way.  There is a text that I have loved ever since I was a child. It drew me to Him in love and continues to do so.

Philippians 4:8,9--
8  Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise think on these things.
9  Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

As a child I wanted so much to be like Jesus. At the age of 3 I was given this text to recite. I remember it well. My father lifted me up on stage and I confidently recited it word for word. My understanding was very simple....if I think about good things Jesus will be with me and I will be like Him. It's so important to teach children when they are very young.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2020, 08:28:03 AM »
"Satan was unwearied in his efforts to overcome the Child of Nazareth. From His earliest years Jesus was guarded by heavenly angels, yet His life was one long struggle against the powers of darkness. That there should be upon the earth one life free from the defilement of evil was an offense and a perplexity to the prince of darkness. He left no means untried to ensnare Jesus. No child of humanity will ever be called to live a holy life amid so fierce a conflict with temptation as was our Saviour."

Sometimes, when we are tempted to feel like we've been deserted and forsaken by God and that the load we carry is too heavy and we're prone to complain that this life is just too hard to bear, let us reflected on the words found above and find renewed courage knowing that our Savior has trod the path before us.

"Christ was the only sinless one who ever dwelt on earth; yet for nearly thirty years He lived among the wicked inhabitants of Nazareth. This fact is a rebuke to those who think themselves dependent upon place, fortune, or prosperity, in order to live a blameless life. Temptation, poverty, adversity, is the very discipline needed to develop purity and firmness. "

Jesus invites each of to come to Him and find Strength and Power to live a Holy Life in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation. He is pleading with us through His Word 

Ezekiel 33:11...."Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?"
Look up and listen for the shout.