Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--45--The Foreshadowing of the Cross  (Read 16864 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--45--The Foreshadowing of the Cross
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2020, 10:42:23 PM »
Why so many difficulties in the church? Who do we as a people seek out for knowledge? Who do we read?  What books are you reading this week? Whose sermons are you listening to? Why do we not go directly to the truth? If we continue to study what other men say about God and His Word, we shall continue to lack spiritual wisdom.

"The head of every man is Christ." God, who put all things under the Saviour's feet, "gave Him to be the head over all things to the church, which is His body, the fullness of Him that filleth all in all." 1 Corinthians 11:3; Ephesians 1:22, 23. The church is built upon Christ as its foundation; it is to obey Christ as its head. It is not to depend upon man, or be controlled by man. Many claim that a position of trust in the church gives them authority to dictate what other men shall believe and what they shall do. This claim God does not sanction. The Saviour declares, "All ye are brethren." All are exposed to temptation, and are liable to error. Upon no finite being can we depend for guidance. The Rock of faith is the living presence of Christ in the church. Upon this the weakest may depend, and those who think themselves the strongest will prove to be the weakest, unless they make Christ their efficiency. "Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm." The Lord "is the Rock, His work is perfect." "Blessed are all they that put their trust in Him." Jeremiah 17:5; Deuteronomy 32:4; Psalm 2:12.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2020, 06:21:18 AM »
Sabbath greetings to my TRO family. How blessed it is to set aside all the cares of the week and spend special time in the presence of our living and loving God.

"Love for souls for whom Christ died means crucifixion of self. He who is a child of God should henceforth look upon himself as a link in the chain let down to save the world, one with Christ in His plan of mercy, going forth with Him to seek and save the lost. The Christian is ever to realize that he has consecrated himself to God, and that in character he is to reveal Christ to the world. The self-sacrifice, the sympathy, the love, manifested in the life of Christ are to reappear in the life of the worker for God."  {DA 417.1}

May God bless us all as we live for Him today and everyday that we may be vessels emptied of self and filled with the Holy Spirit to reveal to the world the beautiful character of Christ.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2020, 07:17:34 AM »
"The church is built upon Christ as its foundation; it is to obey Christ as its head. It is not to depend upon man, or be controlled by man..

Many claim that a position of trust in the church gives them authority to dictate what other men shall believe and what they shall do. This claim God does not sanction. The Saviour declares, "All ye are brethren." All are exposed to temptation, and are liable to error..

Upon no finite being can we depend for guidance. The Rock of faith is the living presence of Christ in the church...

Upon this the weakest may depend, and those who think themselves the strongest will prove to be the weakest, unless they make Christ their efficiency.

"Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm." The Lord "is the Rock, His work is perfect." "Blessed are all they that put their trust in Him." Jeremiah 17:5; Deuteronomy 32:4; Psalm 2:12.

How blessed we are on this Sabbath Day to know that when we Look to Jesus and Accept His Living Word in every aspect of our lives, we can rest assured the all the promises of the His Word belong to us and all His family throughout the whole world. One of my many favorites is...

Psalms 23....The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

HAPPY SABBATH TO OUR WORLD WIDE FAMILY OF OF GOD :)

Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2020, 08:11:06 PM »
When we look away from the things which are seen to the things which are not seen, the value of eternal realities as they are manifest in Christ will be seen as infinitely more valuable than anything in this world. Let us value what God values--moral worth--and experience all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing as long as we are in complete surrender to Christ by grace through faith! Then we will affectionally obey God because our lives are being transformed by His love!

"Peter had expressed the faith of the twelve. Yet the disciples were still far from understanding Christ's mission. The opposition and misrepresentation of the priests and rulers, while it could not turn them away from Christ, still caused them great perplexity. They did not see their way clearly. The influence of their early training, the teaching of the rabbis, the power of tradition, still intercepted their view of truth. From time to time precious rays of light from Jesus shone upon them, yet often they were like men groping among shadows. But on this day, before they were brought face to face with the great trial of their faith, the Holy Spirit rested upon them in power. For a little time their eyes were turned away from 'the things which are seen,' to behold 'the things which are not seen.' 2 Corinthians 4:18. Beneath the guise of humanity they discerned the glory of the Son of God." {The Desire of Ages, page 412, paragraph 1} 

Let us see Jesus more clearly each day. Come spend a thoughtful hour upon the life of Christ and taste and see that He is good!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2020, 05:08:37 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. This is an important lesson that humanity, even in the church, is slow to learn. As we labor for the souls of others we must be patient, understanding that as it was then, so it is today."The influence of their early training, the teaching of the rabbis, the power of tradition, still intercepted their view of truth." This is why God is not pleased when we teach that which He has not said. It creates serious problems for the church and those who hear the thing which is contrary to God's Word.

As we read this morning, we find that the lies having been taught to the disciples kept them from understanding that suffering is the most weighty trust and the highest honor God can bestow upon His followers. Humanity shrinks from this powerful truth. Poor Peter is used by Satan in an effort to temp Jesus to turn from the work entrusted to Him.

Satan was trying to discourage Jesus, and turn Him from His mission; and Peter, in his blind love, was giving voice to the temptation. The prince of evil was the author of the thought. His instigation was behind that impulsive appeal. In the wilderness, Satan had offered Christ the dominion of the world on condition of forsaking the path of humiliation and sacrifice. Now he was presenting the same temptation to the disciple of Christ. He was seeking to fix Peter's gaze upon the earthly glory, that he might not behold the cross to which Jesus desired to turn his eyes. And through Peter, Satan was again pressing the temptation upon Jesus. But the Saviour heeded it not; His thought was for His disciple. Satan had interposed between Peter and his Master, that the heart of the disciple might not be touched at the vision of Christ's humiliation for him. The words of Christ were spoken, not to Peter, but to the one who was trying to separate him from his Redeemer. "Get thee behind Me, Satan." No longer interpose between Me and My erring servant. Let Me come face to face with Peter, that I may reveal to him the mystery of My love.  {DA 416.1}
     It was to Peter a bitter lesson, and one which he learned but slowly, that the path of Christ on earth lay through agony and humiliation. The disciple shrank from fellowship with his Lord in suffering. But in the heat of the furnace fire he was to learn its blessing. Long afterward, when his active form was bowed with the burden of years and labors, he wrote, "Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: but rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when His glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy." 1 Peter 4:12, 13.  {DA 416.2} 

Are we there yet? Do we receive the blessing that comes from suffering with our Master? Do we glory in our tribulation that we might be strengthened for what is just in front of us? It was Jesus' effort to open this truth to His disciples on this agonizing journey to Jerusalem that they might be strengthened to meet this great trial. In this effort God's voice from heaven would soon speak to the three who were closest to Jesus.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2020, 06:08:13 AM »
"It was to Peter a bitter lesson, and one which he learned but slowly, that the path of Christ on earth lay through agony and humiliation. The disciple shrank from fellowship with his Lord in suffering. But in the heat of the furnace fire he was to learn its blessing. Long afterward, when his active form was bowed with the burden of years and labors, he wrote, "Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: but rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when His glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy." 1 Peter 4:12, 13.  {DA 416.2}

In our humanity we are no different than Peter. It's not easy to see the blessing that comes through suffering until we see the suffering of Jesus that He endured because of my sin. We then look upward beyond our own circumstances and filled with the Holy Spirit joyfully endure the cross that is ours. Jesus will always be with us and His strength will be ours at all times. When others see the strength and courage revealed in our lives during oppressive conditions they will know that our foundation is in Jesus and will be drawn to love and follow Him also.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2020, 06:12:58 AM »
Praise the Lord, Brother Richard! Amen, Sister Dorine!!

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. We are given a probationary life to choose either Christ or self (the power of the devil). We are given every incentive to right-doing as we behold the loveliness of Jesus, and the Holy Spirit leads and woos us to surrender FULLY to Christ so that He can create in us a clean heart and a new mind so that all of the fruits of the Spirit will flow freely through our lives to bless others! As we believe that Christ's blood atones for our sins, there is victory in Jesus for the weakest soul who abides in Him! Let us learn to embrace the principle of self-sacrifice which is the very essence of heaven's bliss!

"'Whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for My sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.' Selfishness is death. No organ of the body could live should it confine its service to itself. The heart, failing to send its lifeblood to the hand and the head, would quickly lose its power. As our lifeblood, so is the love of Christ diffused through every part of His mystical body. We are members one of another, and the soul that refuses to impart will perish. And 'what is a man profited,' said Jesus, "if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?'" {The Desire of Ages, page 417, paragraph 2} 

Let us choose Christ today on a moment-by-moment basis, knowing that He is faithful to finish what He has begun in our lives!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2020, 08:53:54 AM »
  "The work of Christ on earth was hastening to a close. Before Him, in vivid outline, lay the scenes whither His feet were tending. Even before He took humanity upon Him, He saw the whole length of the path He must travel in order to save that which was lost. Every pang that rent His heart, every insult that was heaped upon His head, every privation that He was called to endure, was open to His view before He laid aside His crown and royal robe, and stepped down from the throne, to clothe His divinity with humanity..

..The path from the manger to Calvary was all before His eyes. He knew the anguish that would come upon Him. He knew it all, and yet He said, "Lo, I come: in the volume of the Book it is written of Me, I delight to do Thy will, O My God: yea, Thy law is within My heart." Psalm 40:7, 8.      

..Ever before Him He saw the result of His mission. His earthly life, so full of toil and self-sacrifice, was cheered by the prospect that He would not have all this travail for nought.

By giving His life for the life of men, He would win back the world to its loyalty to God.

..Although the baptism of blood must first be received; although the sins of the world were to weigh upon His innocent soul; although the shadow of an unspeakable woe was upon Him; Yet for the joy that was set before Him, He chose to endure the cross, and despised the shame."

How can it be that such Amazing Grace can be shunned by those He came to redeem?  We sing " Redeemed How I Love to Proclaim it " but in our daily lives are we showing it in all we say and do?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2021, 06:29:13 AM »
Often I talk about the deceptions Satan brought upon Israel by false teachers, hoping our people will consider the same is true today. In today's reading we see how successful he was in deceiving Israel.

Hitherto He had refrained from making known to them anything relative to His sufferings and death. In His conversation with Nicodemus He had said, "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life." John 3:14, 15. But the disciples did not hear this, and had they heard, would not have understood. But now they have been with Jesus, listening to His words, beholding His works, until, notwithstanding the humility of His surroundings, and the opposition of priests and people, they can join in the testimony of Peter, "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God." Now the time has come for the veil that hides the future to be withdrawn. "From that time forth began Jesus to show unto His disciples, how that He must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day."  {DA 415.2} 

From that day forward Jesus attempted to prepare His disciples for His suffering and death. And, that the life of a true Christian is one of suffering for His glory and the benefit of those seeking truth. Was He successful so that His disciples understood when He hung on the cross? No. Thus, we ought to consider what Satan has prepared for us. If possible even the very elect will be deceived. But, it is not possible since we are looking unto Jesus for our wisdom.

Dorine

« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2021, 06:39:01 AM »
"The Rock of faith is the living presence of Christ in the church. Upon this the weakest may depend, and those who think themselves the strongest will prove to be the weakest, unless they make Christ their efficiency. "Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm." The Lord "is the Rock, His work is perfect." "Blessed are all they that put their trust in Him." Jeremiah 17:5; Deuteronomy 32:4; Psalm 2:12.  {DA 414.3}
Our only safety and happiness is to take Jesus at His word and make Him the foundation of our faith. Without Christ we are empty and powerless. Trusting in our own or any man's wisdom brings disappointment and failure. As I ponder once again all that Jesus went through to bring salvation to this lost world my heart is uplifted knowing that He will always be with us through whatever lies ahead. He loves us even beyond what we are able to comprehend. Let us put our complete trust in Him for He is the One worthy of our trust.

Philip T

« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2021, 06:48:55 AM »
The work of Christ on earth was hastening to a close. Before Him, in vivid outline, lay the scenes whither His feet were tending. Even before He took humanity upon Him, He saw the whole length of the path He must travel in order to save that which was lost. Every pang that rent His heart, every insult that was heaped upon His head, every privation that He was called to endure, was open to His view before He laid aside His crown and royal robe, and stepped down from the throne, to clothe His divinity with humanity. The path from the manger to Calvary was all before His eyes. He knew the anguish that would come upon Him. He knew it all, and yet He said, "Lo, I come: in the volume of the Book it is written of Me, I delight to do Thy will, O My God: yea, Thy law is within My heart." Psalm 40:7, 8.
     Ever before Him He saw the result of His mission. His earthly life, so full of toil and self-sacrifice, was cheered by the prospect that He would not have all this travail for nought. By giving His life for the life of men, He would win back the world to its loyalty to God. Although the baptism of blood must first be received; although the sins of the world were to weigh upon His innocent soul; although the shadow of an unspeakable woe was upon Him; yet for the joy that was set before Him, He chose to endure the cross, and despised the shame.

The love of Christ to know the whole extent of the suffering, being despised of man, His death on the cross, the difficulty of his life as a human being, this he was willing to give up for Christ, As we read on in this chapter we see his infinite love for his followers, as he works  to change their misunderstanding of the Savior and his mission to his disciples. He wishes them to understand their role in spreading his mission and that their lot would be like His. Are we willing to surrender all to him and walk in these same footsteps? Are we willing to humble ourselves daily to be his disciple and suffer his pain and agony?

Beacon

« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2021, 07:03:22 AM »
 "The work of Christ on earth was hastening to a close. Before Him, in vivid outline, lay the scenes whither His feet were tending. Even before He took humanity upon Him, He saw the whole length of the path He must travel in order to save that which was lost.

"Every pang that rent His heart, every insult that was heaped upon His head, every privation that He was called to endure, was open to His view before He laid aside His crown and royal robe, and stepped down from the throne, to clothe His divinity with humanity..

"The path from the manger to Calvary was all before His eyes. He knew the anguish that would come upon Him. He knew it all, and yet He said, "Lo, I come: in the volume of the Book it is written of Me, I delight to do Thy will, O My God: yea, Thy law is within My heart." Psalm 40:7, 8."

"Ever before Him He saw the result of His mission. His earthly life, so full of toil and self-sacrifice, was cheered by the prospect that He would not have all this travail for nought."

By giving His life for the life of men, He would win back the world to its loyalty to God.

Although the baptism of blood must first be received; although the sins of the world were to weigh upon His innocent soul; although the shadow of an unspeakable woe was upon Him;

Yet for the joy that was set before Him, He chose to endure the cross, and despised the shame."

How can it be that such Amazing Grace can be shunned by those He came to redeem?  We sing " Redeemed How I Love to Proclaim it " but in our daily lives are we showing it in all we say and do?

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2021, 07:49:27 AM »
Amen, Brother Richard, Sister Dorine, Brother Philip, and Brother Beacon!

While every failure on the part of God's children is due to a lack of faith, when we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives without one missing, and Christ will live out His life in us, giving us a new heart and mind to reflect His true character of love! Love is selflessness, and God created us to live in selfless union and communion with Him and others!

"'Whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for My sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.' Selfishness is death. No organ of the body could live should it confine its service to itself. The heart, failing to send its lifeblood to the hand and the head, would quickly lose its power. As our lifeblood, so is the love of Christ diffused through every part of His mystical body. We are members one of another, and the soul that refuses to impart will perish. And 'what is a man profited,' said Jesus, 'if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?'" {The Desire of Ages, page 417, paragraph 2}   

The price paid for our soul is the death of Christ, His perfect life, and His intercession for us in the heavenly sanctuary even now. The Father gave His Son for us, and the Holy Spirit is even now working to draw all to come to Christ who will come. Let us value what heaven values--moral worth, love and purity, and the redeeming of souls from this planet to repopulate heaven!

Beacon

« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2021, 05:28:09 AM »
"The church is built upon Christ as its foundation; it is to obey Christ as its head. It is not to depend upon man, or be controlled by man..

"Many claim that a position of trust in the church gives them authority to dictate what other men shall believe and what they shall do. This claim God does not sanction. The Saviour declares, "All ye are brethren." All are exposed to temptation, and are liable to error.."

"Upon no finite being can we depend for guidance. The Rock of faith is the living presence of Christ in the church. Upon this the weakest may depend, and those who think themselves the strongest will prove to be the weakest, unless they make Christ their efficiency.

"Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm." The Lord "is the Rock, His work is perfect." "Blessed are all they that put their trust in Him." Jeremiah 17:5; Deuteronomy 32:4; Psalm 2:12.

How blessed we are on this day of life to know that when we Look to Jesus and Accept His Living Word in every aspect of our lives, we can rest assured the all the promises of the His Word belong to us and all His family throughout the whole world.

Dorine

« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2021, 06:21:24 AM »
"From the first, Peter had believed Jesus to be the Messiah. Many others who had been convicted by the preaching of John the Baptist, and had accepted Christ, began to doubt as to John's mission when he was imprisoned and put to death; and they now doubted that Jesus was the Messiah, for whom they had looked so long. Many of the disciples who had ardently expected Jesus to take His place on David's throne left Him when they perceived that He had no such intention. But Peter and his companions turned not from their allegiance. The vacillating course of those who praised yesterday and condemned today did not destroy the faith of the true follower of the Saviour. Peter declared, "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God." He waited not for kingly honors to crown his Lord, but accepted Him in His humiliation." {DA 411.5}

This speaks to us today. Will our faith hold us? Are we spending that thoughtful hour each day in surrender, communion and fellowship with Jesus? Do we trust Him through the conflicts of daily life?  He is preparing a people for the great conflict ahead. May we find our faith steadfast in Jesus no matter what we hear, see or feel. Jesus is the only way and our only hope. We may suffer, we may be alone, friends may forsake us but the surrendered believing soul will cling to Jesus no matter what. If we do that He will never let us be overtaken by the enemy. Then our witness will be such that others will long to know the Jesus we know.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2021, 06:58:33 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!

Look to Jesus, and away from self and others as an unerring source of guidance. Realize that He has grace sufficient for you at this moment for God's will to be done in your life in giving you a true, thorough conversion whereby all of the fruits of the Spirit will be manifest in your life without one missing as you gladly obey the law of God from a heart renewed by the cleansing blood of Jesus and the power of the Holy Spirit!

"All are exposed to temptation, and are liable to error. Upon no finite being can we depend for guidance. The Rock of faith is the living presence of Christ in the church. Upon this the weakest may depend, and those who think themselves the strongest will prove to be the weakest, unless they make Christ their efficiency." {The Desire of Ages, page 414, paragraph 3}

As we trust to Christ continually, He will lead us constantly! May this be your experience in Christ today!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2021, 07:24:38 AM »
Amen my three friends! It is hard for man to give up seeking truth from man. It is true that God sends teachers, but they over and over teach that the sinners only hope is to not only to pray to Jesus, but to study His Word, not the words of man who says what Jesus said. There is safety in a multitude of counselors who have learned from His inspired Word. They will point all back to His Word. Yes, I do listen to sermons and appreciate what is preached, but it is too rare where there is no error in the teaching. Thus, Satan gains a foothold in the mind and it is very difficult to unlearn what one has believed to be truth.

Today it was a great blessing to see again that Jesus knew what He was going to suffer when He entered into the everlasting covenant with His Father in heaven. What was it that motivated Him to suffer such an ignominious life and death?

Ever before Him He saw the result of His mission. His earthly life, so full of toil and self-sacrifice, was cheered by the prospect that He would not have all this travail for nought. By giving His life for the life of men, He would win back the world to its loyalty to God. Although the baptism of blood must first be received; although the sins of the world were to weigh upon His innocent soul; although the shadow of an unspeakable woe was upon Him; yet for the joy that was set before Him, He chose to endure the cross, and despised the shame.   

Remember daily that as we suffer, it is not for nought. Our motivation is that of Christ's. We shall be cheered also by the prospect that we will be working with Jesus to win back a world that chose to sin. Not all will accept God's grace, but a multitude will and we by the grace of God will be a tool in the hand of God. We are to be His faithful witnesses that grace is more than a Word, it is the power that transforms sinners into saints. Love, joy, and peace will be seen in the lives of all who love God supremely, even amid the great tribulation that we have been told will come.   "Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy." 1 Peter 4:12,13.

And be tender and patient with those who you come in contact. We know not what they may be going through. Let us find an encouraging word to share that it might uplift their spirit.

Philip T

« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2021, 09:19:57 AM »

The work of Christ on earth was hastening to a close. Before Him, in vivid outline, lay the scenes whither His feet were tending. Even before He took humanity upon Him, He saw the whole length of the path He must travel in order to save that which was lost. Every pang that rent His heart, every insult that was heaped upon His head, every privation that He was called to endure, was open to His view before He laid aside His crown and royal robe, and stepped down from the throne, to clothe His divinity with humanity. The path from the manger to Calvary was all before His eyes. He knew the anguish that would come upon Him. He knew it all, and yet He said, "Lo, I come: in the volume of the Book it is written of Me, I delight to do Thy will, O My God: yea, Thy law is within My heart." Psalm 40:7, 8.
     Ever before Him He saw the result of His mission. His earthly life, so full of toil and self-sacrifice, was cheered by the prospect that He would not have all this travail for nought. By giving His life for the life of men, He would win back the world to its loyalty to God. Although the baptism of blood must first be received; although the sins of the world were to weigh upon His innocent soul; although the shadow of an unspeakable woe was upon Him; yet for the joy that was set before Him, He chose to endure the cross, and despised the shame.  {DA 410.2}
     From the chosen companions of His ministry the scenes that lay before Him were as yet hidden; but the time was near when they must behold His agony. They must see Him whom they had loved and trusted, delivered into the hands of His enemies, and hung upon the cross of Calvary. Soon He must leave them to face the world without the comfort of His visible presence. He knew how bitter hate and unbelief would persecute them, and He desired to prepare them for their trials.  {DA 410.3}

Jesus saw all the pain suffering, humiliation he would suffer here on earth, before He came to earth as our Savior, what love! what Compassion! that even knowing all the future He would come and bear it all for us a lost race.  He wanted to let his disciples and followers know that his coming death and death itself was for them that through Him they might be saved. He wanted us to learn to surrender all everything to Him and we would see eternal life. God is Love and that is clear in this chapter.

Beacon

« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2021, 08:06:16 PM »
"Jesus did not count heaven a place to be desired while we were lost."

"He left the heavenly courts for a life of reproach and insult, and a death of shame. He who was rich in heaven's priceless treasure, became poor, that through His poverty we might be rich."

"We are to follow in the path He trod."

Luke 9:23-24 says...."And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it."

Love for souls for whom Christ died means the crucifixion of self Do " We " --- You & I have a burden for lost souls?  If not - Why not?

Our prayer every morning should be..." Lord lay some soul upon my heart and love that soul through me, and may I humble do my part to win that soul for Thee." Let us renew our commitment to Jesus right now and take up our cross thereby showing our Love for Jesus and Our Follow man.

Philip T

« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2021, 08:29:20 AM »
  Love for souls for whom Christ died means crucifixion of self. He who is a child of God should henceforth look upon himself as a link in the chain let down to save the world, one with Christ in His plan of mercy, going forth with Him to seek and save the lost. The Christian is ever to realize that he has consecrated himself to God, and that in character he is to reveal Christ to the world. The self-sacrifice, the sympathy, the love, manifested in the life of Christ are to reappear in the life of the worker for God.

When we give our lives to Jesus, we are crucifying self, and we should then have a hunger to win soul's to Him, we are a link in the chain from heaven so finish God's work here on earth, so all may know Jesus.  We are consecrated to God, our character grows every day to be more like His character, our character should reflect God's love and mercy to all around us. We are filled with the fruit of the Spirit, all of them as they are a cluster.