Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--45--The Foreshadowing of the Cross  (Read 7913 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--45--The Foreshadowing of the Cross
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2017, 05:28:49 AM »
There is a great controversy raging--Jesus Christ and Him crucified is to be lifted higher and higher, the thought of His loveliness of character is to be appreciated and experienced, and yet Satan is doing His utmost to discourage and to turn us away from beholding Jesus. Satan wants our gaze to be fixed on earthly things so we cannot comprehend and appreciate the value of Jesus' sacrifice for us. He wants us to be able to hear about the cross of Christ, and yet not appreciate its significance and the love there revealed, by causing us to fix our focus on a false gospel or a false hope. Well would it be for us to learn the lesson that Jesus desired Peter to learn as He walked with him.

Matthew 16:21-23: "From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day. Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee. But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men."

As Satan was getting between Jesus and Peter, Satan intended to have Peter fail to grasp the significance of the sacrifice of Christ. Satan desired that Peter's heart would not be touched with the vision of how Christ was to suffer on the cross, and be utterly humbled to save us as our dying "Lamb of God" (John 1:29). So it is today. Through subtle temptations, through entertainment media, and a host of other distractions, Satan desires to have our focus so away from Jesus that when we hear of spiritual things, our hearts are not touched. How can this be remedied? It would be well for us to spend a thoughtful hour contemplating the life of Jesus--especially the closing scenes, because by beholding we become changed, and we would be enabled to have stronger faith, a deeper love experience with Christ, and be filled with a deeper indwelling of His Spirit. We must learn that the only way for us to be saved is by making a complete surrender of all we are to Christ, so He can purify and renew our hearts and fill us with all of the fruits of the Spirit so that not one is missing. We must depend upon the merits of Christ for His imputed righteousness and by continual communion and surrender experience the imparted righteousness wrought by His Spirit working in and through us. We can be so thankful that the lesson of what Peter passed through is written in inspiration, that we can profit from the lesson and learn of Christ today.

"Satan was trying to discourage Jesus, and turn Him from His mission; and Peter, in his blind love, was giving voice to the temptation. The prince of evil was the author of the thought. His instigation was behind that impulsive appeal. In the wilderness, Satan had offered Christ the dominion of the world on condition of forsaking the path of humiliation and sacrifice. Now he was presenting the same temptation to the disciple of Christ. He was seeking to fix Peter's gaze upon the earthly glory, that he might not behold the cross to which Jesus desired to turn his eyes. And through Peter, Satan was again pressing the temptation upon Jesus. But the Saviour heeded it not; His thought was for His disciple. Satan had interposed between Peter and his Master, that the heart of the disciple might not be touched at the vision of Christ's humiliation for him. The words of Christ were spoken, not to Peter, but to the one who was trying to separate him from his Redeemer. 'Get thee behind Me, Satan.' No longer interpose between Me and My erring servant. Let Me come face to face with Peter, that I may reveal to him the mystery of My love." {The Desire of Ages, page 416, paragraph 1}

May Christ's love touch our hearts so deeply today that we will have the needed experience that is true preparation for the trials that will come to us today, and that will continue to come before the soon return of Christ. Only by having Christ as an abiding guest in the soul through continual communion and surrender to Him moment-by-moment are we enabled to discern the spiritual nature of His mission and learn to count all things else but loss for the sake of His exceeding loveliness of character which He gives us as a gift (His imputed righteousness) and imparts to us as living-faith experience whereby all of the fruits of the Spirit are manifested in our lives (His imparted righteousness)! Praise the Lord!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 06:57:32 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean! It is the love of Jesus, and that only, which will help us see our true condition apart from Christ. It is this unmerited love that will enable us to do unselfish labor for those whom Christ suffered and died.

It was to Peter a bitter lesson, and one which he learned but slowly, that the path of Christ on earth lay through agony and humiliation. The disciple shrank from fellowship with his Lord in suffering. But in the heat of the furnace fire he was to learn its blessing. Long afterward, when his active form was bowed with the burden of years and labors, he wrote, "Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: but rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when His glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy." 1 Peter 4:12, 13.   
     Jesus now explained to His disciples that His own life of self-abnegation was an example of what theirs should be. Calling about Him, with the disciples, the people who had been lingering near, He said, "If any man will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me." The cross was associated with the power of Rome. It was the instrument of the most cruel and humiliating form of death. The lowest criminals were required to bear the cross to the place of execution; and often as it was about to be laid upon their shoulders, they resisted with desperate violence, until they were overpowered, and the instrument of torture was bound upon them. But Jesus bade His followers take up the cross and bear it after Him. To the disciples His words, though dimly comprehended, pointed to their submission to the most bitter humiliation,--submission even unto death for the sake of Christ. No more complete self-surrender could the Saviour's words have pictured. But all this He had accepted for them. Jesus did not count heaven a place to be desired while we were lost. He left the heavenly courts for a life of reproach and insult, and a death of shame. He who was rich in heaven's priceless treasure, became poor, that through His poverty we might be rich. We are to follow in the path He trod.   

So it is a bitter lesson for us also to learn. But, when we learn it, when we give Christ everything, the reward is great. He exchanges our sin polluted heart for love, joy, and peace! He took upon Himself our poverty that we might have His riches!! What a God we serve!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2018, 03:28:12 AM »
"The work of Christ on earth was hastening to a close. Before Him, in vivid outline, lay the scenes whither His feet were tending. Even before He took humanity upon HIm, He saw the whole length of the path He must travel in order to save that which was lost. Every pang that rent His heart, every insult that was heaped upon His head, every privation that He was called to endure, was open to His view before he laid aside His crown and royal robe, and stepped down from the throne, to clothe His divinity with humanity. The path from the manger to calvary was all before His eyes."

He did all this for me/you. I do not have the words to describe the depths of love to which Jesus stooped to come to this dark evil world. It has to be revealed to us by the Holy Spirit as we spend time in God's word and in prayer.

Each time we open our hearts to learn of Him He reveals yet more and more of Himself. That is what keeps me coming back to reread this book because I know there will be some deeper treasure revealed that was not seen before. The effect this has is miraculous because as we behold the loveliness of Jesus we start to notice the changes that He is making in our lives. We see a change in our motives, attitudes, habits, behavior. When Jesus invites us to take up our cross and follow Him, "we are to follow in the path He trod." The only way I will ever be able to do that is through a moment by moment connection with Him each day.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 08:13:36 AM »
Amen, dear Sister!  At takes some time to understand what is being said here. At first, who wants to give all up, who wants to suffer and die? We do when we behold our Savior and what He suffered for us. And, yes, it can only happen when we love Him supremely.....each day. When we let loose of Him, when our eyes are diverted, we fall into the water just as did Peter. In time, our character becomes so fixed, we are so settled into the truth, that we shall not be moved. This is what Jesus is promising us. Do we want this more than anything? If so, our days shall not be as were the disciples as they marched toward Jerusalem, toward the ignominious death that awaited our Savior. For six long gloomy days they pondered this horrible thought, their Messiah would not sit on the throne, but would hang from a tree.

To the disciples this was indeed a mystery.  They were even now journeying along the shores of the Sea of Galilee toward the city where all their hopes were to be crushed. They dared not remonstrate with Christ, but they talked together in low, sorrowful tones in regard to what the future would be. Even amid their questionings they clung to the thought that some unforeseen circumstance might avert the doom which seemed to await their Lord. Thus they sorrowed and doubted, hoped and feared, for six long, gloomy days.   

What a God we serve! This was all before our Lord before He came to this dark spot in the universe. He saw it all. As Sister Dorine shared "the path from the manger to calvary was all before His eyes."
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2018, 08:19:11 AM »
Amen, sister Dorine and Richard!

What stood out to me today in beholding Jesus' loveliness was how His disciples were clouded in darkness and unbelief at what Jesus had just told them. It strikes me that as we think upon Jesus and understand His sufferings for us, that we stand in a place of advance light/experience from what the disciples were going through. We can look and live, we can appreciate what Jesus went through for us, and we need not remain in darkness and unbelief. Let us let go of all that is not of Christ, and better understand what Christ has done for us.

"Beyond the poverty and humiliation of the present, He pointed the disciples to His coming in glory, not in the splendor of an earthly throne, but with the glory of God and the hosts of heaven. And then, He said, "He shall reward every man according to his works." Then for their encouragement He gave the promise, 'Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in His kingdom.' But the disciples did not comprehend His words. The glory seemed far away. Their eyes were fixed upon the nearer view, the earthly life of poverty, humiliation, and suffering. Must their glowing expectations of the Messiah's kingdom be relinquished? Were they not to see their Lord exalted to the throne of David? Could it be that Christ was to live a humble, homeless wanderer, to be despised, rejected, and put to death? Sadness oppressed their hearts, for they loved their Master. Doubt also harassed their minds, for it seemed incomprehensible that the Son of God should be subjected to such cruel humiliation. They questioned why He should voluntarily go to Jerusalem to meet the treatment which He had told them He was there to receive. How could He resign Himself to such a fate, and leave them in greater darkness than that in which they were groping before He revealed Himself to them?"  {DA 417.3}
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2018, 08:48:18 AM »
"Other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 3:11. "Upon this rock," said Jesus, "I will build My church." In the presence of God, and all the heavenly intelligences, in the presence of the unseen army of hell, Christ founded His church upon the living Rock. That Rock is Himself,--His own body, for us broken and bruised. Against the church built upon this foundation, the gates of hell shall not prevail.  {DA 413.2}
     How feeble the church appeared when Christ spoke these words! There was only a handful of believers, against whom all the power of demons and evil men would be directed; yet the followers of Christ were not to fear. Built upon the Rock of their strength, they could not be overthrown.  {DA 413.3}

Good morning my friends. This morning I was thinking about the quoted statement. Long ago the Holy Spirit lead 120 from the upper room to spread gospel to the whole and they indeed turned the world upside down. Just think what it will be like as the latter rain works in the believers in the near future. What kind personal witness and preaching will it be?  :)
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2018, 09:03:26 AM »
We have been given a little bit of light on that, Jim.  In 1888, Jesus was giving us a glimpse of what it will look like. The Latter Rain had begun to fall. When we understand that the power comes from the revelation of the loveliness of Jesus, we will better understand what it will look like. And, it will not fall on those who have not received the truth of the character of God into their lives. Those who are seeking truth that they may walk in it, will receive greater truth. Those who are not seeking to know God better, will not receive greater light. It is a simple principle.

Thus, when the church begins to focus on Jesus, that we might become like Him in character, the light will get brighter and brighter, much brighter than what was poured out on the Day of Pentecost. The whole Earth will be lightened with the glory of God as we go about taking the gospel to it, filled with the Holy Spirit. What a day that will be, we are beginning to see the early drops falling from heaven. It encourages us to know that these last steps will be rapid ones.

As the apostles set forth the glory of the Only-Begotten of the Father, three thousand souls were convicted. They were made to see themselves as they were, sinful and polluted, and Christ as their friend and Redeemer. Christ was lifted up, Christ was glorified, through the power of the Holy Spirit resting upon men. By faith these believers saw Him as the One who had borne humiliation, suffering, and death that they might not perish but have everlasting life. The revelation of Christ by the Spirit brought to them a realizing sense of His power and majesty, and they stretched forth their hands to Him by faith, saying, “I believe.”

Then the glad tidings of a risen Saviour were carried to the uttermost bounds of the inhabited world. The church beheld converts flocking to her from all directions. Believers were reconverted. Sinners united with Christians in seeking the pearl of great price. The prophecy was fulfilled, The weak shall be “as David,” and the house of David “as the angel of the Lord.” Zechariah 12:8. Every Christian saw in his brother the divine similitude of benevolence and love. One interest prevailed. One object swallowed up all others. All hearts beat in harmony. The only ambition of the believers was to reveal the likeness of Christ’s character, and to labor for the enlargement of His kingdom. “The multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul.... With great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus; and great grace was upon them all.” Acts 4:32, 33. “And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.” Acts 2:47. The Spirit of Christ animated the whole congregation; for they had found the pearl of great price.

These scenes are to be repeated, and with greater power. The outpouring of the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost was the former rain, but the latter rain will be more abundant. The Spirit awaits our demand and reception. Christ is again to be revealed in His fullness by the Holy Spirit’s power. Men will discern the value of the precious pearl, and with the apostle Paul they will say, “What things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord.” Philippians 3:7, 8.  Christ Object Lessons, pg 121.

The knowledge of Christ is everything! By knowing Him, by beholding His grace we are transformed in character, in nature. We are His witnesses in a world soon to perish.  Let us lift up our eyes, to see our Lord, He is coming soon in great glory!! It is our privilege to not only know Him, but to share Him with all who are seeking truth, and thereby hasten His soon coming. Come Lord Jesus!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2018, 06:37:59 AM »
True conversion is death to self. We are to follow the path that Jesus trod.

It was to Peter a bitter lesson, and one which he learned but slowly, that the path of Christ on earth lay through agony and humiliation. The disciple shrank from fellowship with his Lord in suffering. But in the heat of the furnace fire he was to learn its blessing. Long afterward, when his active form was bowed with the burden of years and labors, he wrote, "Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: but rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when His glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy." 1 Peter 4:12, 13. 
     Jesus now explained to His disciples that His own life of self-abnegation was an example of what theirs should be. Calling about Him, with the disciples, the people who had been lingering near, He said, "If any man will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me." The cross was associated with the power of Rome. It was the instrument of the most cruel and humiliating form of death. The lowest criminals were required to bear the cross to the place of execution; and often as it was about to be laid upon their shoulders, they resisted with desperate violence, until they were overpowered, and the instrument of torture was bound upon them. But Jesus bade His followers take up the cross and bear it after Him. To the disciples His words, though dimly comprehended, pointed to their submission to the most bitter humiliation,--submission even unto death for the sake of Christ. No more complete self-surrender could the Saviour's words have pictured. But all this He had accepted for them. Jesus did not count heaven a place to be desired while we were lost. He left the heavenly courts for a life of reproach and insult, and a death of shame. He who was rich in heaven's priceless treasure, became poor, that through His poverty we might be rich. We are to follow in the path He trod.   
     Love for souls for whom Christ died means crucifixion of self.

When Moses struck the Rock, he was not abiding in Christ, nor Christ in him. Self was alive and thus he misrepresented the character of God. Because as leader of Israel he was a representative of God, when he sinned, even though he repented, he had to die so that people would not say "even Moses sinned." Never do we hear this, because God took his life when he sinned. His suffering was an example as was the suffering of Christ. It offers no excuse for sin. No matter how much he was tempted, he was to look unto Jesus and thus he would have power to resist all that Christ allowed to come to him. We are promised we shall not tempted beyond what we can bear. Where will this end? For those who wish to glorify God, it will end when Jesus walks out of the heavenly sanctuary and his church goes through a time of trouble such as never was......without a Mediator.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2018, 10:32:25 AM »
Amen, Richard! As we realize the parallels between Moses and Christ, we see that the wages of sin is death. There are some who believe God is merciful enough to forgive sin without an atoning sacrifice. Moses died for his own sin. Jesus died for our sins. But the deception was so deep in Christ's day that the disciples did not really see that the Lamb (Jesus) had to die. There are many in our day that do not see that we are to be perfect in Christ. But unless we understand what true perfection is, we are liable to err. Perfection of Christian character does not mean we have complete knowledge, for only God knows all. But it does mean that we love God with the whole heart and the whole mind, with all our strength and soul. This is only possible when we realize God's love (His grace in giving Jesus to die for us) and we allow that love into the soul to transform it. Christ is preparing His people to stand through the perilous times of the last days, and to be alive during the time of the seven last plagues which begin when Jesus has completed His ministry as our High Priest, for He will come as a King to claim His people who have abode in His faith. The kind of perfection needed now and ever to be saved is that which Christ supplies at conversion--the blood of Christ atones for our sins, His obedience is accepted for us, and then He comes to indwell the repentant child of God by His Spirit building it up after the similitude of His own character, which is manifest now and ever in all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing. It is impossible to have Christ in the heart and not have these traits of character manifest. It is impossible to sin a known sin and yet retain the presence of the Holy Spirit within the soul. But the good news of His grace is that if we yield to the pleading voice of Jesus, He will come into the heart again if we have sinned, and He promises to keep us from falling as we choose to allow our minds to be stayed upon Him. The disciples need not have remained under clouds and deceptions regarding the imperative death of Jesus for the sins of the world if they had simply listened to what He said and meditated upon it. This is our great need as well. That is why it is well for us to spend a thoughtful hour in contemplation of the life of Christ from the manger of Bethlehem to Calvary's cross, with an especial focus on the closing scenes of His earthly pilgrimage, as it will enable us to appreciate God's grace. The gospel of His grace makes possible the effectual transformation of sinners into saints that are not only safe to take to heaven, but will truly enjoy the selfless bliss of ministry for all of eternity. What an incredible joy that this experience is taking place in our hearts and minds as we behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world. Heaven begins here when we yield the whole heart to Jesus. What a joy that we have such bright light shining upon our path to prepare us for heaven!

"Beyond the poverty and humiliation of the present, He pointed the disciples to His coming in glory, not in the splendor of an earthly throne, but with the glory of God and the hosts of heaven. And then, He said, 'He shall reward every man according to his works.' Then for their encouragement He gave the promise, 'Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in His kingdom.' But the disciples did not comprehend His words. The glory seemed far away. Their eyes were fixed upon the nearer view, the earthly life of poverty, humiliation, and suffering. Must their glowing expectations of the Messiah's kingdom be relinquished? Were they not to see their Lord exalted to the throne of David? Could it be that Christ was to live a humble, homeless wanderer, to be despised, rejected, and put to death? Sadness oppressed their hearts, for they loved their Master. Doubt also harassed their minds, for it seemed incomprehensible that the Son of God should be subjected to such cruel humiliation. They questioned why He should voluntarily go to Jerusalem to meet the treatment which He had told them He was there to receive. How could He resign Himself to such a fate, and leave them in greater darkness than that in which they were groping before He revealed Himself to them?"  {The Desire of Ages, page 417, paragraph 3} 

The questions that perplexed the disciples were the outflow of the effect of false teachings and false hopes. We would do well to learn of Christ each day so He can anchor us in Him, and so we truly can find, through union and communion with God by beholding Christ, that the Holy Spirit has complete control of us such that sin is hateful to us, and the impulse to help and bless others springs constantly from within!

Yesterday while doing door-to-door outreach I was struck by the thought that while it may be challenging at times to do ministry to seek and to save the lost, that Christ has paid an INFINITELY HIGH PRICE in His sufferings and death for us not to go out and seek to win one more for Him. I am not going to have to die for the sins of the whole world. Jesus did that already! Each soul is worth more than worlds, for the Creator of all the worlds shed His blood that they may be reconciled to Him! Praise God for how we can joyfully bear the cross of personal ministry to seek and to save souls as our Master did!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2018, 03:05:55 AM »
Who is trying to discourage you? Satan is. And he already tried that with Jesus. How? By tempting Peter to speak words that would not be a savor of self-sacrifice, for Christ must go to the cross of Calvary to save us. Jesus would not yield to the temptation, and neither need we. By beholding the infinite loveliness of Jesus and the exceedingly great infinite sacrifice of the cross of Christ we see that our Heavenly Father loves us with a love that is infinite. We see the joy of Christ--that all His pain and humiliation would yield a harvest of souls who also become partakers of His divine nature--a nature that always manifests itself with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing, and leads the true disciple to gladly covet pain, toil, and sacrifice for His dear sake. "The purest joy springs from the deepest humiliation."  {The Acts of the Apostles, page 319, paragraph 1}

No one has ever suffered more than Christ. His joy is infinite. We, by a full surrender to Him, get to partake of that joy and allow Christ to work through us to bring the principle of the cross into our moment-by-moment thinking, speaking, and acting. In every interaction of life self-sacrifice is the constant invitation of Jesus. As we abide in Him, He works out in us the pattern of life (self-sacrifice is the only true definition of life, for selfishness is death) that will be to His own glory! Will you join me in this joyful bearing of the cross? There is no greater joy in heaven or in earth than to become a partaker with Christ of His character--and His sufferings in seeking to save souls!

"Satan was trying to discourage Jesus, and turn Him from His mission; and Peter, in his blind love, was giving voice to the temptation. The prince of evil was the author of the thought. His instigation was behind that impulsive appeal. In the wilderness, Satan had offered Christ the dominion of the world on condition of forsaking the path of humiliation and sacrifice. Now he was presenting the same temptation to the disciple of Christ. He was seeking to fix Peter's gaze upon the earthly glory, that he might not behold the cross to which Jesus desired to turn his eyes. And through Peter, Satan was again pressing the temptation upon Jesus. But the Saviour heeded it not; His thought was for His disciple. Satan had interposed between Peter and his Master, that the heart of the disciple might not be touched at the vision of Christ's humiliation for him. The words of Christ were spoken, not to Peter, but to the one who was trying to separate him from his Redeemer. 'Get thee behind Me, Satan.' No longer interpose between Me and My erring servant. Let Me come face to face with Peter, that I may reveal to him the mystery of My love."  {The Desire of Ages, page 416, paragraph 1} 

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2018, 05:38:25 AM »
By beholding the infinite loveliness of Jesus and the exceedingly great infinite sacrifice of the cross of Christ we see that our Heavenly Father loves us with a love that is infinite.

Pastor Sean, I was touched by your phrase this morning... "infinite loveliness of Jesus" what a wonderful way to speak of our loving Savior for He is truly the ONE altogether lovely. It is such a joy to be among friends who love to talk about our Savior. And you speak of bearing the cross. Yes Christ bore the Christ where He shed His blood to cover our sins but we also have a cross to bear. It was an eye opener for me years ago when I read a good that pointed out that every time Jesus mentioned the cross He was speaking of the cross that we as humans have to bear. To some it may sound like something bad but to those who know Christ they know that His burden's are light, fore He says.... " For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Dorine

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2018, 05:48:19 AM »
....."Jesus did not count heaven a place to be desired while we were lost. He left the heavenly courts for a life of reproach and insult, and a death of shame. He who was rich in heaven's priceless treasure, became poor, that through His poverty we might be rich. We are to follow in the path He trod.  {DA 416.3}       Love for souls for whom Christ died means crucifixion of self. He who is a child of God should henceforth look upon himself as a link in the chain let down to save the world, one with Christ in His plan of mercy, going forth with Him to seek and save the lost. The Christian is ever to realize that he has consecrated himself to God, and that in character he is to reveal Christ to the world. The self-sacrifice, the sympathy, the love, manifested in the life of Christ are to reappear in the life of the worker for God.  {DA 417.1}"

I plead today for that kind of love and commitment. Christ has set a path before each of us that is impossible to trod alone and reach our heavenly destination. I want to serve my Lord with my eyes wide open and my heart completely surrendered to Him.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Dorine

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2018, 05:51:30 AM »
What a joy it is to meet here each morning and share what God has placed upon our hearts. It brings courage to my heart as I read each post.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2018, 10:59:53 PM »
Amen, dear Sister! What a joy to see others who not only love to study the life of Christ, but want to share what the Spirit is teaching. Soon there will be many more who love to talk about Jesus!

Peter loved Jesus and confessed Him to the the Son of the Living God. But, because of the false teaching, he did not know nor want Jesus to die. Thus, he was used by Satan in an attempt to discourage Jesus. If we will time each day contemplating the loveliness of Jesus, we would have spiritual discernment and we would be more faithful in our walk with Jesus. We would not be looking to man for our wisdom and neither would we dictating to others how to live or work for Jesus.

Instead of appointing one to be their head, Christ said to the disciples, "Be not ye called Rabbi;" "neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ." Matthew 23:8, 10. 

"The head of every man is Christ." God, who put all things under the Saviour's feet, "gave Him to be the head over all things to the church, which is His body, the fullness of Him that filleth all in all." 1 Corinthians 11:3; Ephesians 1:22, 23. The church is built upon Christ as its foundation; it is to obey Christ as its head. It is not to depend upon man, or be controlled by man. Many claim that a position of trust in the church gives them authority to dictate what other men shall believe and what they shall do. This claim God does not sanction. The Saviour declares, "All ye are brethren." All are exposed to temptation, and are liable to error. Upon no finite being can we depend for guidance. The Rock of faith is the living presence of Christ in the church. Upon this the weakest may depend, and those who think themselves the strongest will prove to be the weakest, unless they make Christ their efficiency. "Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm." The Lord "is the Rock, His work is perfect." "Blessed are all they that put their trust in Him." Jeremiah 17:5; Deuteronomy 32:4; Psalm 2:12.   

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2018, 03:37:45 AM »
The fires of trials mean benefit--as we learn that Christ is with us and that He Himself has pioneered the way before us. We have nothing to fear for the future as we keep our eyes steadfastly fixed upon Jesus' exceeding loveliness of character and remember the lesson that Peter learned by experience:

"It was to Peter a bitter lesson, and one which he learned but slowly, that the path of Christ on earth lay through agony and humiliation. The disciple shrank from fellowship with his Lord in suffering. But in the heat of the furnace fire he was to learn its blessing. Long afterward, when his active form was bowed with the burden of years and labors, he wrote, 'Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: but rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when His glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.' 1 Peter 4:12, 13."  {The Desire of Ages, page 416, paragraph 2}

Let us rejoice today in tribulation knowing that through it and in it all things work together for good to them that love God, that we may be transformed in character by a continual surrender to Jesus. The fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be flowing amid the trying ordeal (as we see Jesus' love grow stronger and stronger amid His crucifixion, praying for His executioners), and ever increasing in depth, sweetness, and beauty. Praise God for the refining blessing that trials mean for those who learn of Christ continually! 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2018, 07:23:15 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. By beholding Jesus we can be transformed into a character whereby we understand our trials will make us more patient and make us a witness of the glory of God. We will glory in our tribulations. What a testimony to the power of God's grace!

I noticed something this morning I had not seen before. We are in God's last day remnant church. While we defend His church against those who call it Babylon and separate from it, we also need to look to Christ for our wisdom not to man. Leaders in the church are to be respected if they are in the Lord, but we are to quit looking to man for our wisdom and make God and His Word our trust.

Instead of appointing one to be their head, Christ said to the disciples, "Be not ye called Rabbi;" "neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ." Matthew 23:8, 10.  {DA 414.2}
     "The head of every man is Christ." God, who put all things under the Saviour's feet, "gave Him to be the head over all things to the church, which is His body, the fullness of Him that filleth all in all." 1 Corinthians 11:3; Ephesians 1:22, 23. The church is built upon Christ as its foundation; it is to obey Christ as its head. It is not to depend upon man, or be controlled by man. Many claim that a position of trust in the church gives them authority to dictate what other men shall believe and what they shall do. This claim God does not sanction. The Saviour declares, "All ye are brethren." All are exposed to temptation, and are liable to error. Upon no finite being can we depend for guidance. The Rock of faith is the living presence of Christ in the church. Upon this the weakest may depend, and those who think themselves the strongest will prove to be the weakest, unless they make Christ their efficiency. "Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm." The Lord "is the Rock, His work is perfect." "Blessed are all they that put their trust in Him." Jeremiah 17:5; Deuteronomy 32:4; Psalm 2:12. 

The true leader sent from God will take care to point man to Christ and His Word. This is his work.

Also, in today's reading we are given an indication of where we are in the life of Christ, nearing the end. The Feast of Tabernacles is just in front of Him. His work changes in its nature. He now is ready to make known to His disciples that he is going to suffer and die very soon at the hands of those who He came to save. So it is today as we near the end. Our work must change also. Our people need to awaken to the danger in the church and the need for revival and reformation today, not tomorrow.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2019, 03:09:57 AM »
Parents have an incredible influence on their children. By their genetics, their habits, and their understanding of truth, they directly mold the opening minds of their children in ways that will either help or hinder them heavenward. As I was contemplating Jesus' bitter task to press His way against the early training of the 12 whose conception of His kingdom had been a mixture of truth and error, I was encouraged with the thought that parents coming on the stage of the last days have the opportunity to do what Jesus did with His 12 disciples, but much more effectively. Why? For one thing, a tiny infant's heart and mind are far more moldable and impressible than are grown men who all their lives have been hoping to be "Number One" in God's kingdom. But if children are trained to consider duty a delight, sacrifice a pleasure, and know that the most weighty trust and highest honor could be to suffer and be translated having passed through the time of trouble such as never was, with a clear conception of the kingdom of God and the truth of the simplicity of the gospel as manifest in the lives of the parents that they were shaped by from inception, does it not follow that the place we need to start in preparing for Jesus to come is in our families? I am not saying that Bible studies and evangelistic series are ineffective means of saving souls--but the power of the gospel goes so much deeper when it is early received, when children are trained up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. That is why Jesus' ability to use John to spread the gospel was so much more effective than with the other disciples--he was younger and more receptive! Let us take the lesson to heart, and I pray that you will take the gospel into your marriage, your child rearing, and into every sphere where God has placed you!!

"Peter had expressed the faith of the twelve. Yet the disciples were still far from understanding Christ's mission. The opposition and misrepresentation of the priests and rulers, while it could not turn them away from Christ, still caused them great perplexity. They did not see their way clearly. The influence of their early training, the teaching of the rabbis, the power of tradition, still intercepted their view of truth. From time to time precious rays of light from Jesus shone upon them, yet often they were like men groping among shadows. But on this day, before they were brought face to face with the great trial of their faith, the Holy Spirit rested upon them in power. For a little time their eyes were turned away from 'the things which are seen,' to behold 'the things which are not seen.' 2 Corinthians 4:18. Beneath the guise of humanity they discerned the glory of the Son of God."  {The Desire of Ages, page 412, paragraph 1} 

But what a difference if families are reared in a way as to avoid the contaminating influences of secular cultural lies, church tradition, and the deceptions so prevalent that make the gospel powerless! When children grow up seeing their parents live the very life of Jesus, the husband treating his wife the way Christ treats the church, the wife fulfilling her role in dignity and honor to bring completeness to her husband's character and train up children to have roles in eternity for God's glory, we will see the message and movement move like wildfire. We are on the verge of the greatest revival and reformation the world has ever seen. We can take to heart what Jesus did, and go deeper than the disciples went because the light shining in our time is MUCH MUCH BRIGHTER!!! Let us walk in the light, because God would much rather accomplish His purposes through our honor and exaltation when we are humbly obedient to all that He has revealed! And more light will shine to us streaming from the cross as day by day the darkness of error and unbelief are swallowed up in the glory of doing His will from a heart renewed by grace that pours forth spontaneously all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing!! Hallelujah!!!!!!!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2019, 06:00:11 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. And why was it that the Holy Spirit rested upon the disciples that day? Was it not because Jesus asked for the Holy Spirit to open their minds and hearts to the message he had to give them? We often don't realize the opportunities we have to ask for the Holy Spirit to open hearts and minds before we share a message of grace. How very sad! Often before the minister preaches a message on Sabbath from the pulpit, we hear prayers that his lips may be touched with a coal from the altar of God. But do we always hear a prayer that the Holy Spirit will open the ears and eyes of those in the congregation? It is the Holy Spirit that is the Teacher. Let us consider the opportunities before us when we share a message that is designed to reach the hearts and minds of the hearers. Let us always pray that the Holy Spirit will go before us.

He was about to tell them of the suffering that awaited Him. But first He went away alone, and prayed that their hearts might be prepared to receive His words.

I have a question that someone may be able to answer. The chapter ends with "Thus they sorrowed and doubted, hoped and feared, for six long, gloomy days." Where are we here before the cross? How long before Christ enters Jerusalem when He will be murdered by crucifixion? 

Beacon

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2019, 07:06:28 AM »
"The work of Christ on earth was hastening to a close. Before Him, in vivid outline, lay the scenes whither His feet were tending. Even before He took humanity upon Him, He saw the whole length of the path He must travel in order to save that which was lost. Every pang that rent His heart, every insult that was heaped upon His head, every privation that He was called to endure, was open to His view before He laid aside His crown and royal robe, and stepped down from the throne, to clothe His divinity with humanity. The path from the manger to Calvary was all before His eyes. He knew the anguish that would come upon Him. He knew it all, and yet He said, "Lo, I come: in the volume of the Book it is written of Me, I delight to do Thy will, O My God: yea, Thy law is within My heart." Psalm 40:7, 8. (DA 410.1)

Sometimes we're tempted to feel like we're "ALL ALONE"  and that no one understands what we're going through. The words in this chapter have reinforced my mind once again that we are NEVER ALONE and that our Wonderful Compassionate Jesus, having walked the face of this earth on our behalf understands EVERY TRIAL, EVERY SITUATION, EVERY WEAKNESS , of our human existence  and has given us wonderful promises to cling to.

"Ever before Him He saw the result of His mission. His earthly life, so full of toil and self-sacrifice, was cheered by the prospect that He would not have all this travail for nought. By giving His life for the life of men, He would win back the world to its loyalty to God. Although the baptism of blood must first be received; although the sins of the world were to weigh upon His innocent soul; although the shadow of an unspeakable woe was upon Him; yet for the joy that was set before Him, He chose to endure the cross, and despised the shame."  {DA 410.2}

Jesus says to us today...."Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness."  Isaiah 41:10 King James Version (KJV) THANK YOU JESUS!
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2019, 01:36:02 PM »

I have a question that someone may be able to answer. The chapter ends with "Thus they sorrowed and doubted, hoped and feared, for six long, gloomy days." Where are we here before the cross? How long before Christ enters Jerusalem when He will be murdered by crucifixion?

Richard, that is an excellent question, but for which I only have a partial answer from what I read in the Bible. The reference to the six long, gloomy days is answered by the fact that a glorious event awaits Jesus and Peter, James and John--the Mount of Transfiguration. Notice the reference to six days in both Matthew and Mark's accounts that are immediately following the portion of Scripture upon which is based this present chapter in The Desire of Ages:

Matthew 17:1-2: "And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart, and was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light."

Mark 9:2: "And after six days Jesus taketh with him Peter, and James, and John, and leadeth them up into an high mountain apart by themselves: and he was transfigured before them."

If someone else knows the exact timing from the Mount of Transfiguration to the time of the crucifixion, I would be glad to learn about that. But in context with what was written at the end of the chapter of The Desire of Ages we studied today, it seems to refer to the Transfiguration, and that was such an amazing experience that the disciples with Jesus for a time did forget the earlier gloom of Jesus' prediction of His crucifixion and death. But had they listened intently to what the conversation between Moses and Elijah was with Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration, they would have realized more clearly that it was about His sufferings so soon to befall Jesus--that must come to save us!