Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Lesson 2        October 1-7

Death in a Sinful World

Commentary in Navy                  Inspiration in Maroon

Sabbath Afternoon

Read for This Week’s Study: Gen. 2:16, 17; Gen. 3:1-7; Ps. 115:17; John 5:28, 29; Rom. 5:12; 2 Cor. 5:21.

Memory Text: “Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned.” Romans 5:12

Christ was the Divine Agent through whom God brought the universe and the world into existence (John 1:1-3, 10; Col. 1:16; Heb. 1:2). But when God the Father conferred special honor on Christ and announced that They together would create this world, “Lucifer was envious and jealous of Jesus Christ” (Ellen G. White, The Story of Redemption, p. 14) and plotted against Him.

Having been cast out of heaven, Satan decided “to destroy the happiness of Adam and Eve” on earth and thereby “cause grief in heaven.” He imagined that “if he could in any way beguile them [Adam and Eve] to disobedience, God would make some provision whereby they might be pardoned, and then himself and all the fallen angels would be in a fair way to share with them of God’s mercy.” — Ellen G. White, The Story of Redemption, p. 27. Fully aware of Satan’s strategy, God warned Adam and Eve not to expose themselves to temptation (Gen. 2:16, 17). This means that even when the world was still perfect and blameless, there were already clear restrictions for human beings to obey.

This week we will reflect on the fall of Adam and Eve, on how sin and death took over our world, and on how God planted a seed of hope for humanity even back in Eden.

And even  before the foundation of the Earth was laid.  “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: according as He hath chosen us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love: having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will.” Before the foundations of the earth were laid, the covenant was made that all who were obedient, all who should through the abundant grace provided, become holy in character, and without blame before God, by appropriating that grace, should be children of God. This covenant, made from eternity, was given to Abraham hundreds of years before Christ came. With what interest and what intensity did Christ in humanity study the human race to see if they would avail themselves of the provision offered." Fundamentals of Christian Education, pg 403.     

Study this week’s lesson to prepare for Sabbath, October 8.

The Desire of Ages / Re: The Desire of Ages--11--The Baptism
« Last post by Beacon on September 30, 2022, 08:05:06 PM »
"By sin, earth was cut off from heaven, and alienated from its communion."

"But Jesus has connected it again with the sphere of glory."

"His love has encircled man, and reached the highest heaven."

"The light which fell from the open portals upon the head of our Saviour will fall upon us as we pray for help to resist temptation."

"The voice which spoke to Jesus says to every believing soul.."

"This is My beloved child, in whom I am well pleased."

The Bible says to every believing soul in...Matthew 19:26 "But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible"

I want to be able to hear Jesus say....This is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased. Don't You!!

==========================
Come, every soul by sin oppressed,
  There’s mercy with the Lord;
And He will surely give you rest
  By trusting in His Word.
    Only trust Him! Only trust Him!
  Only trust Him now!
He will save you! He will save you!
    He will save you now!
For Jesus shed His precious blood
  Rich blessings to bestow;
Plunge now into the crimson flood
  That washeth white as snow.
Yes, Jesus is the Truth, the Way,
  That leads you into rest;
Believe in Him without delay,
  And you are fully blest.
Come then, and join the holy band,
  And on to glory go;
In Christ’s redemption take your stand,
  And all His goodness know.

Lyrics:John Hart Stockton (1813-1877)
Music:John Hart Stockton (1813-1877)

Friday         September 30

Further Thought: Read Ellen G. White, “Why Was Sin Permitted?” pp. 33-43, in Patriarchs and Prophets; “The Origin of Evil,” pp. 492-504, in The Great Controversy.

“There was no possible hope for the redemption of those [Satan and his angels] who had witnessed and enjoyed the inexpressible glory of heaven, and had seen the terrible majesty of God, and, in presence of all this glory, had rebelled against Him. There were no new and wonderful exhibitions of God’s exalted power that could impress them so deeply as those they had already experienced. If they could rebel in the very presence of glory inexpressible, they could not be placed in a more favorable condition to be proved. There was no reserve force of power, nor were there any greater heights and depths of infinite glory to overpower their jealous doubts and rebellious murmuring. Their guilt and their punishment must be in proportion to their exalted privileges in the heavenly courts.” — Ellen G. White, Confrontation, p. 21.

Amen, but with man who was deceived there is hope in gaining of true knowledge of God. It is this knowledge of God that the angels had that will reconcile sinners to God.

“From the beginning, God and Christ knew of the apostasy of Satan, and of the fall of man through the deceptive power of the apostate. God did not ordain that sin should exist, but He foresaw its existence, and made provision to meet the terrible emergency. So great was His love for the world, that He covenanted to give His only-begotten Son, ’that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.’ John 3:16.” — Ellen G. White, The Desire of Ages, p. 22.

Discussion Questions:

In class, wrestle with the question about whether God is ultimately responsible for the origin and existence of evil in our world. How might we seek to answer that charge

No need to wrestle with the idea that God is responsible for sin, He is not. But, He surely did allow evil into our world and for Satan to stay here. Be prepared to explain to your Sabbath School class why God allowed Satan to not only live, but to live here with us. Here's a clue: Our dark spot in the universe is the lesson book for the entire universe.

How does the cross fit in with our understanding of the whole question of evil? Why must the cross and what happened there be central to any understanding of the origin of evil?

After so many millennia of sin and suffering in our world, Satan should now be fully aware of the tragic consequences of his rebellion. Why then does he still carry on his rebellion against God?

When one reaches the point of no return, that is to say that the heart is hardened past the point of hearing that still small voice, then the character is forever fixed. This is why so many are in error regarding God giving all a third chance to be transformed.

In Matthew 5:43-48, Christ speaks of God’s unconditional love for all human beings as the pattern for all our own interactions. How can you reflect this pattern more closely within your family and church?

The answer to this  kind of question is always the same, we need to be truly converted, fully surrendered to Christ. Then we can love even our enemies.

The apostle Peter warns us  “Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour.” 1 Pet. 5:8. Read also Ephesians 6:10-20. How can we prevail against the “wiles of the devil” (Eph. 6:11)?

Again, the answer is always the same, there is only one answer, we need abide in Jesus and He in us, otherwise we have no power to resist the smallest temptation to sin.

Amen, Brother Beacon and Brother Richard!!

Let us allow Christ to take our whole heart which really belongs to Him, so He can do what He LONGS to do in recreating us into His image of unselfish love! Only by consent and cooperation with the Holy Spirit can we overcome through Christ! Christ lives out His life in those who look away from self and choose to walk in His righteousness, like what John the Baptist chose!

"He looked upon the King in His beauty, and self was forgotten. He beheld the majesty of holiness, and felt himself to be inefficient and unworthy. He was ready to go forth as Heaven's messenger, unawed by the human, because he had looked upon the Divine. He could stand erect and fearless in the presence of earthly monarchs, because he had bowed low before the King of kings." {The Desire of Ages, page 103, paragraph 3}

When we see how glorious Jesus truly is, self will no longer clamor to be recognized. We shall be happy to be anything or nothing as His providence shall indicate for the fulfilling of the everlasting gospel proclamation to the world! Jesus is coming soon!
The Desire of Ages / Re: The Desire of Ages--10--The Voice in the Wilderness
« Last post by Richard Myers on September 30, 2022, 07:19:06 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon!!  "Such a messenger must be holy. He must be a temple for the indwelling Spirit of God." Only the pure in heart can have fellowship with Jesus.

In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God. His very presence would make manifest to men their sin. Only as they were willing to be purged from sin could they enter into fellowship with Him. Only the pure in heart could abide in His presence.

We need to die daily to self that Christ might have our whole heart.

« Last post by Beacon on September 29, 2022, 08:27:11 PM »
"John was to go forth as Jehovah's messenger, to bring to men the light of God."

"He must give a new direction to their thoughts."

"He must impress them with the holiness of God's requirements, and their need of His perfect righteousness."

"Such a messenger must be holy. He must be a temple for the indwelling Spirit of God."

"In order to fulfill his mission, he must have a sound physical constitution, and mental and spiritual strength."

"Therefore it would be necessary for him to control the appetites and passions."

"He must be able so to control all his powers that he could stand among men as unmoved by surrounding circumstances as the rocks and mountains of the wilderness."

If "We" are willing to stand on the promises of God Our Savoir, we also by the indwelling Holy Spirit can be filled with the same powerful spirit like John which will enable us to reach our families, our neighbors, our fellow church members! "AM I -ARE YOU" Willing to stand on the Promises of God?

==============================
Standing on the promises of Christ my King,
Through eternal ages let His praises ring,
Glory in the highest, I will shout and sing,
  Standing on the promises of God.
    Standing, standing,
Standing on the promises of God my Savior;
Standing, standing,
  I’m standing on the promises of God.
Standing on the promises that cannot fail,
When the howling storms of doubt and fear assail,
By the living Word of God I shall prevail,
Standing on the promises I now can see
Perfect, present cleansing in the blood for me;
Standing in the liberty where Christ makes free,
Standing on the promises of Christ the Lord,
Bound to Him eternally by love’s strong cord,
Overcoming daily with the Spirit’s sword,
Standing on the promises I shall not fall,
List’ning every moment to the Spirit’s call.
Resting in my Savior as my All in all,

Lyrics:Russell Kelso Carter (1849-1928)
Music:Russell Kelso Carter (1849-1928)

« Last post by Philip T on September 29, 2022, 08:38:04 AM »
The birth of a son to Zacharias, like the birth of the child of Abraham, and that of Mary, was to teach a great spiritual truth, a truth that we are slow to learn and ready to forget. In ourselves we are incapable of doing any good thing; but that which we cannot do will be wrought by the power of God in every submissive and believing soul. It was through faith that the child of promise was given. It is through faith that spiritual life is begotten, and we are enabled to do the works of righteousness.

We can do nothing of ourselves, it is only through surrender to and faith in God's power that we are able to perform the transformation of Character God wants us to do. We must humble ourselves before a mighty God. Surrendering all to Him, then He can finish the good work He has begun in us.
The Desire of Ages / Re: The Desire of Ages--9--Days of Conflict
« Last post by Pastor Sean Brizendine on September 29, 2022, 07:26:59 AM »
Praise the Lord, Brother Beacon, Brother Richard, and God bless you all who read and are blessed here!! You matter to God! Jesus taught us to value eternal things over temporal things, and He spent His time in a way that revealed this value system. Rather than seeking happiness from sources that are transient, He sought it in communion with God in nature, a reminder that this is how God intends for us to find true happiness! God bless you in following Jesus all the way to heaven as we yield the whole heart to Him so all of the fruits of the Spirit will be manifest in the life as we overcome by His grace and are empowered to keep the commandments of God through the faith of Jesus!!

"From the time when the parents of Jesus found Him in the temple, His course of action was a mystery to them. He would not enter into controversy, yet His example was a constant lesson. He seemed as one who was set apart. His hours of happiness were found when alone with nature and with God. Whenever it was His privilege, He turned aside from the scene of His labor, to go into the fields, to meditate in the green valleys, to hold communion with God on the mountainside or amid the trees of the forest. The early morning often found Him in some secluded place, meditating, searching the Scriptures, or in prayer. From these quiet hours He would return to His home to take up His duties again, and to give an example of patient toil." {The Desire of Ages, page 89, paragraph 6}

The loveliness of Jesus is so powerful to encourage us to walk by grace through faith in His will! Walk with Him and enjoy constant union and communion with Christ!! 
The Desire of Ages / Re: The Desire of Ages--8--The Passover Visit
« Last post by Pastor Sean Brizendine on September 29, 2022, 07:10:13 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon, Brother Philip, and Brother Richard!

Are you hungry for the word of God, to see and love the Lamb of God? Jesus desired to understand the Scriptures that revealed His own mission, and in doing so, He was a loving witness sent from the Father to shed light upon other hearts and minds at the Passover visit He first took. Well would it be for us, also, to realize the importance of yielding to the Holy Spirit who gives us a hunger and thirst for truth so we can impart what God gives us to others!

"Jesus presented Himself as one thirsting for a knowledge of God. His questions were suggestive of deep truths which had long been obscured, yet which were vital to the salvation of souls. While showing how narrow and superficial was the wisdom of the wise men, every question put before them a divine lesson, and placed truth in a new aspect. The rabbis spoke of the wonderful elevation which the Messiah's coming would bring to the Jewish nation; but Jesus presented the prophecy of Isaiah, and asked them the meaning of those scriptures that point to the suffering and death of the Lamb of God." {The Desire of Ages, page 78, paragraph 5}

Jesus loves us and has good plans for us. As our High Priest in the heavenly sanctuary at this very time, He is interceding for us and soon He will finish His work there and return in the clouds of glory as our King! This is all because He first fulfilled His sacrificial role as the Lamb of God! Let us yield fully to Him so He can manifest through us all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing as we are gladly empowered to obey God from the new heart He gives us by His grace!
« Last post by Beacon on September 28, 2022, 08:07:20 PM »
"John was to go forth as Jehovah's messenger, to bring to men the light of God."

"He must give a new direction to their thoughts."

"He must impress them with the holiness of God's requirements, and their need of His perfect righteousness."

"Such a messenger must be holy."

"He must be a temple for the indwelling Spirit of God."

In order to fulfill his mission, he must have a sound physical constitution, and mental and spiritual strength.

Therefore it would be necessary for him to control the appetites and passions.

"He must be able so to control all his powers."

Are "WE" called to a lesser standard ? Jesus said " You are either for Me or Against Me" Which will it be for "US"?

===============================

Not I, but Christ be honored, loved, exalted,
Not I, but Christ be seen, be known and heard;
Not I, but Christ in every look and action,
Not I, but Christ in every thought and word.
    Oh, to be saved from myself, dear Lord,
  Oh, to be lost in Thee,
Oh, that it may be no more I,
    But Christ that lives in me.
Not I, but Christ to gently soothe in sorrow,
Not I, but Christ to wipe the falling tear;
Not I, but Christ to lift the weary burden,
Not I, but Christ to hush away all fear.
Christ, only Christ, no idle word e’er falling,
Christ, only Christ, no needless bustling sound;
Christ, only Christ, no self-important bearing,
Christ, only Christ, no trace of I be found.
Not I, but Christ my every need supplying,
Not I, but Christ my strength and health to be;
Christ, only Christ, for spirit, soul, and body,
Christ, only Christ, live then Thy life in me.
Christ, only Christ, ere long will fill my vision,
Glory excelling soon, full soon I’ll see;
Christ, only Christ, my every wish fulfilling,
Christ, only Christ, my all in all to be.

Lyrics:Mrs. Ada A. Whiddington (1891)
Music:Albert Benjamin Simpson (1843-1919)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10