Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
The Desire of Ages / Re: The Desire of Ages--36--The Touch of Faith
« Last post by Beacon on Today at 08:02:38 PM »
"A nominal faith in Christ, which accepts Him merely as the Saviour of the world, can never bring healing to the soul."

"The faith that is unto salvation is not a mere intellectual assent to the truth."

"He who waits for entire knowledge before he will exercise faith, cannot receive blessing from God."

"It is not enough to believe about Christ; we must believe in Him."

"The only faith that will benefit us is that which embraces Him as a personal Saviour; which appropriates His merits to ourselves."

"Many hold faith as an opinion."

"Saving faith is a transaction by which those who receive Christ join themselves in covenant relation with God."

"Genuine faith is life."

"A living faith means an increase of vigor, a confiding trust, by which the soul becomes a conquering power."

I want a " Living Faith " I want a " Confiding trust " I want a soul that becomes a conquering power." so that I can be a genuine living witness for Jesus! How about you?

==========================
Living for Jesus a life that is true,
Striving to please Him in all that I do;
Yielding allegiance, glad-hearted and free,
This is the pathway of blessing for me.
    O Jesus, Lord and Savior,
I give myself to Thee,
For Thou, in Thy [redemption],*
Didst give Thyself for me;
I own no other Master,
My heart shall be Thy throne,
My life I give, henceforth to live,
O Christ, for Thee alone.
Living for Jesus who died in my place,
Bearing on Calv’ry my sin and disgrace;
Such love constrains me to answer His call,
Follow His leading and give Him my all.
Living for Jesus wherever I am,
Doing each duty in His holy name;
Willing to suffer affliction and loss,
Deeming each trial a part of my cross.
Living for Jesus through earth’s little while,
My dearest treasure, the light of His smile;
Seeking the lost ones He died to redeem,
Bringing the weary to find rest in Him.

Lyrics:Thomas Obediah Chisholm (1866-1960)
Music:Carl Harold Lowden (1883-1963)
The Desire of Ages / Re: The Desire of Ages--35--Peace Be Still
« Last post by rahab on Today at 05:44:05 PM »

This is becoming more and more prevalent!!
Bread of Life / Re: Truth
« Last post by rahab on Today at 05:41:58 PM »

The Potter cannot mold what has not been placed in His hands.
Bread of Life / Re: Small unpublished books of the bible
« Last post by rahab on Today at 05:40:57 PM »

Dark Shadows

By the witch of Endor
Bread of Life / Re: A Verse for Today
« Last post by rahab on Today at 05:38:20 PM »
   John 14:21

He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.   
« Last post by Richard Myers on Today at 07:53:29 AM »
Today's reading is a revelation of the power of God to not only transform you and me, but to set free those who under total control of Satan. Before we are born again of the Spirit, we have freedom to choose to follow Jesus, to learn of Him. But, those who are truly possessed by demons are not allowed to speak or act contrary to Satan's will. They are truly captive in every respect to Satan. It is the power of Christ that sets the possessed free. And, that power is given to those who are truly converted. Calling upon Jesus to cast out demons is not a figure of speech or a fantasy. There are people who are truly possessed by demons. We better understand this in reading the following truth:

Their eyes glared out from their long and matted hair, the very likeness of humanity seemed to have been blotted out by the demons that possessed them, and they looked more like wild beasts than like men.   
     The disciples and their companions fled in terror; but presently they noticed that Jesus was not with them, and they turned to look for Him. He was standing where they had left Him. He who had stilled the tempest, who had before met Satan and conquered him, did not flee before these demons. When the men, gnashing their teeth, and foaming at the mouth, approached Him, Jesus raised that hand which had beckoned the waves to rest, and the men could come no nearer. They stood raging but helpless before Him.   
     With authority He bade the unclean spirits come out of them. His words penetrated the darkened minds of the unfortunate men. They realized dimly that One was near who could save them from the tormenting demons. They fell at the Saviour's feet to worship Him; but when their lips were opened to entreat His mercy, the demons spoke through them, crying vehemently, "What have I to do with Thee, Jesus, Thou Son of God most high? I beseech Thee, torment me not."   
     Jesus asked, "What is thy name?" And the answer was, "My name is Legion: for we are many." Using the afflicted men as mediums of communication, they besought Jesus not to send them out of the country. Upon a mountainside not far distant a great herd of swine was feeding. Into these the demons asked to be allowed to enter, and Jesus suffered them. Immediately a panic seized the herd. They rushed madly down the cliff, and, unable to check themselves upon the shore, plunged into the lake, and perished.
     Meanwhile a marvelous change had come over the demoniacs. Light had shone into their minds. Their eyes beamed with intelligence. The countenances, so long deformed into the image of Satan, became suddenly mild, the bloodstained hands were quiet, and with glad voices the men praised God for their deliverance. 

Some do not believe that demons can enter humans and even swine. To be unconverted and captive to Satan is not to mean one is possessed by demons. Being possessed is a level of captivity beyond that of the unconverted who have not given their souls wholly to Satan. Satan does not allow these demoniacs to cry out to Jesus to be set free. They want to, but cannot. This is not the only account in Scripture where we see this sad result of having rejected truth over and over and over. And there is a temporary form of possession as I understand that happens when one chooses to come under Satan's influence when taking mind altering drugs such as alcohol. Man has come to this understanding in the past and call alcohol "spirits." Many die when under the influence of alcohol and other drugs. And some when under his influence kill others.

And in today's reading we find that even animals can loose control of their actions even leading to death when possessed by demons who even have names. It is a very dangerous thing to enter into the world of spiritualism. We see many in the world who are indeed possessed by demons. Some are harder to cast out than others. We read of this in the failure of the disciples to cast them out. There is need of fasting prayer before attempting to cast out these demons. We ought not remain ignorant of the power of Satan to possess and the power granted to converted Christians to cast out demons. Because this is not well understood, I am going to share from Desire of Ages the account where the disciples failed to cast out a demon because of their "unbelief." From the chapter Ministry in Desire of Ages.

While they were waiting at the foot of the mountain, a father had brought to them his son, to be delivered from a dumb spirit that tormented him. Authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, had been conferred on the disciples when Jesus sent out the twelve to preach through Galilee. As they went forth strong in faith, the evil spirits had obeyed their word. Now in the name of Christ they commanded the torturing spirit to leave his victim; but the demon only mocked them by a fresh display of his power. The disciples, unable to account for their defeat, felt that they were bringing dishonor upon themselves and their Master. And in the crowd there were scribes who made the most of this opportunity to humiliate them. Pressing around the disciples, they plied them with questions, seeking to prove that they and their Master were deceivers. Here, the rabbis triumphantly declared, was an evil spirit that neither the disciples nor Christ Himself could conquer. The people were inclined to side with the scribes, and a feeling of contempt and scorn pervaded the crowd.
     But suddenly the accusations ceased. Jesus and the three disciples were seen approaching, and with a quick revulsion of feeling the people turned to meet them. The night of communion with the heavenly glory had left its trace upon the Saviour and His companions. Upon their countenances was a light that awed the beholders. The scribes drew back in fear, while the people welcomed Jesus.
     As if He had been a witness of all that had occurred, the Saviour came to the scene of conflict, and fixing His gaze upon the scribes inquired, "What question ye with them?"
     But the voices so bold and defiant before were now silent. A hush had fallen upon the entire company. Now the afflicted father made his way through the crowd, and falling at the feet of Jesus, poured out the story of his trouble and disappointment.
     "Master," he said, "I have brought unto Thee my son, which hath a dumb spirit; and wheresoever he taketh him, he teareth him: . . . and I spake to Thy disciples that they should cast him out; and they could not."
     Jesus looked about Him upon the awe-stricken multitude, the caviling scribes, the perplexed disciples. He read the unbelief in every heart; and in a voice filled with sorrow He exclaimed, "O faithless generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you?" Then He bade the distressed father, "Bring thy son hither."
     The boy was brought, and as the Saviour's eyes fell upon him, the evil spirit cast him to the ground in convulsions of agony. He lay wallowing and foaming, rending the air with unearthly shrieks.
     Again the Prince of life and the prince of the powers of darkness had met on the field of battle,--Christ in fulfillment of His mission to "preach deliverance to the captives, . . . to set at liberty them that are bruised" (Luke 4:18), Satan seeking to hold his victim under his control. Angels of light and the hosts of evil angels, unseen, were pressing near to behold the conflict. For a moment, Jesus permitted the evil spirit to display his power, that the beholders might comprehend the deliverance about to be wrought.
     The multitude looked on with bated breath, the father in an agony of hope and fear. Jesus asked, "How long is it ago since this came unto him?" The father told the story of long years of suffering, and then, as if he could endure no more, exclaimed, "If Thou canst do anything, have compassion on us, and help us." "If Thou canst!" Even now the father questioned the power of Christ.
     Jesus answers, "If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth." There is no lack of power on the part of Christ; the healing of the son depends upon the father's faith. With a burst of tears, realizing his own weakness, the father casts himself upon Christ's mercy, with the cry, "Lord, I believe; help Thou mine unbelief."
     Jesus turns to the suffering one, and says, "Thou dumb and deaf spirit, I charge thee, come out of him, and enter no more into him." There is a cry, an agonized struggle. The demon, in passing, seems about to rend the life from his victim. Then the boy lies motionless, and apparently lifeless. The multitude whisper, "He is dead." But Jesus takes him by the hand, and lifting him up, presents him, in perfect soundness of mind and body, to his father. Father and son praise the name of their Deliverer. The multitude are "amazed at the mighty power of God," while the scribes, defeated and crestfallen, turn sullenly away.
     "If Thou canst do anything, have compassion on us, and help us." How many a sin-burdened soul has echoed that prayer. And to all, the pitying Saviour's answer is, "If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth." It is faith that connects us with heaven, and brings us strength for coping with the powers of darkness. In Christ, God has provided means for subduing every sinful trait, and resisting every temptation, however strong. But many feel that they lack faith, and therefore they remain away from Christ. Let these souls, in their helpless unworthiness, cast themselves upon the mercy of their compassionate Saviour. Look not to self, but to Christ. He who healed the sick and cast out demons when He walked among men is the same mighty Redeemer today. Faith comes by the word of God. Then grasp His promise, "Him that cometh to Me I will in no wise cast out." John 6:37. Cast yourself at His feet with the cry, "Lord, I believe; help Thou mine unbelief." You can never perish while you do this--never.
     In a brief space of time the favored disciples have beheld the extreme of glory and of humiliation. They have seen humanity as transfigured into the image of God, and as debased into the likeness of Satan. From the mountain where He has talked with the heavenly messengers, and has been proclaimed the Son of God by the voice from the radiant glory, they have seen Jesus descend to meet that most distressing and revolting spectacle, the maniac boy, with distorted countenance, gnashing his teeth in spasms of agony that no human power could relieve. And this mighty Redeemer, who but a few hours before stood glorified before His wondering disciples, stoops to lift the victim of Satan from the earth where he is wallowing, and in health of mind and body restores him to his father and his home.
     It was an object lesson of redemption,--the Divine One from the Father's glory stooping to save the lost. It represented also the disciples' mission. Not alone upon the mountaintop with Jesus, in hours of spiritual illumination, is the life of Christ's servants to be spent. There is work for them down in the plain. Souls whom Satan has enslaved are waiting for the word of faith and prayer to set them free.
     The nine disciples were yet pondering upon the bitter fact of their own failure; and when Jesus was once more alone with them, they questioned, "Why could not we cast him out?" Jesus answered them, "Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting." Their unbelief, that shut them out from deeper sympathy with Christ, and the carelessness with which they regarded the sacred work committed to them, had caused their failure in the conflict with the powers of darkness. 

« Last post by Dorine on Today at 07:01:06 AM »
"The disciples and their companions fled in terror; but presently they noticed that Jesus was not with them, and they turned to look for Him. He was standing where they had left Him. He who had stilled the tempest, who had before met Satan and conquered him, did not flee before these demons. When the men, gnashing their teeth, and foaming at the mouth, approached Him, Jesus raised that hand which had beckoned the waves to rest, and the men could come no nearer. They stood raging but helpless before Him."

Jesus' heart yearned for deliverance for these poor men. He also knew that their transformation would be a powerful witness to the whole community of people. There are many today that are chained by Satan's power because they have opened the door to him by daring to step onto Satan's territory. Curiosity is dangerous and in many circumstances some never recover because they do not come in contact with Jesus. We are placed here to bring Jesus to them. We need to be confident in whom we believe and speak with loving authority about the power of God to break addictions.
Amen, Brother Beacon!

Jesus can save us to the uttermost--just like He did in delivering the demoniacs from Satan's power, restoring their lives and minds, and giving them a commission to tell others what He had done for them! What has Jesus done for you? If you come to Him just as you are, He has power to heal and forgive, save and restore, making you a "new creature" (2 Corinthians 5:17) with a "new heart" (Ezekiel 36:26) filled with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing, even "love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, [and] temperance" (Galatians 5:22-23)! Such a divine union and communion with God in Christ by the Holy Spirit empowers affectionate obedience to all the light of truth that Jesus has has revealed, for we are brought into harmony with the law of God!

"The encounter with the demoniacs of Gergesa had a lesson for the disciples. It showed the depths of degradation to which Satan is seeking to drag the whole human race, and the mission of Christ to set men free from his power. Those wretched beings, dwelling in the place of graves, possessed by demons, in bondage to uncontrolled passions and loathsome lusts, represent what humanity would become if given up to satanic jurisdiction. Satan's influence is constantly exerted upon men to distract the senses, control the mind for evil, and incite to violence and crime. He weakens the body, darkens the intellect, and debases the soul. Whenever men reject the Saviour's invitation, they are yielding themselves to Satan. Multitudes in every department in life, in the home, in business, and even in the church, are doing this today. It is because of this that violence and crime have overspread the earth, and moral darkness, like the pall of death, enshrouds the habitations of men. Through his specious temptations Satan leads men to worse and worse evils, till utter depravity and ruin are the result. The only safeguard against his power is found in the presence of Jesus. Before men and angels Satan has been revealed as man's enemy and destroyer; Christ, as man's friend and deliverer. His Spirit will develop in man all that will ennoble the character and dignify the nature. It will build man up for the glory of God in body and soul and spirit. 'For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.' 2 Timothy 1:7. He has called us 'to the obtaining of the glory'--character--'of our Lord Jesus Christ;' has called us to be 'conformed to the image of His Son.' 2 Thessalonians 2:14; Romans 8:29." {The Desire of Ages, page 341, paragraph 1}

Becoming like Jesus--that is the goal of life in connection with the great commission to reach others--so they can become like Jesus, and we can soon go to heaven at His glorious return which is so imminent!
« Last post by Beacon on March 27, 2024, 08:00:34 PM »
"How often the disciples' experience is ours!"

"When the tempests of temptation gather, and the fierce lightnings flash, and the waves sweep over us, we battle with the storm alone, forgetting that there is One who can help us."

"We trust to our own strength till our hope is lost, and we are ready to perish."

"Then we remember Jesus! "

"If we call upon Him to save us, we shall not cry in vain."

"Though He sorrowfully reproves our unbelief and self-confidence, He never fails to give us the help we need."

"Whether on the land or on the sea, if we have the Saviour in our hearts, there is no need of fear."

"Living faith in the Redeemer will smooth the sea of life, and will deliver us from danger in the way that He knows to be best."

"WE" Must remember what happened to Peter when he took his eyes off Jesus. Yes, he began to sink!! What did Jesus do? He reached down to Peters uplifted hand and brought him back up to the surface of the water and he landed safely in the boat. What a merciful God we serve!! Do you and I want to land safely on the eternal shore of Heaven?? We must keep our daily focus on Jesus every day if we are to arrive safely on eternal shore of Heaven & the New Earth.
==========================
Rescue the perishing,
  Care for the dying,
Snatch them in pity from sin and the grave;
  Weep o’er the erring one,
  Lift up the fallen,
Tell them of Jesus the mighty to save.
    Rescue the perishing,
  Care for the dying;
Jesus is merciful,
    Jesus will save.
Though they are slighting Him,
  Still He is waiting,
Waiting the penitent child to receive;
  Plead with them earnestly,
  Plead with them gently;
He will forgive if they only believe.
Down in the human heart,
  Crushed by the tempter,
Feelings lie buried that grace can restore;
  Touched by a loving heart,
  Wakened by kindness,
Chords that are broken will vibrate once more.
Rescue the perishing,
  Duty demands it;
Strength for thy labor the Lord will provide;
  Back to the narrow way,
  Patiently win them;
Tell the poor wand’rer a Savior has died.

Lyrics:Fanny Jane Crosby (1820-1915)
Music:William Howard Doane (1832-1915)

Not surprised by this as I have witnessed many times people with liver problems eating tons of fast foods laden with toxic fats.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10