Author Topic: Fruit Trees  (Read 18288 times)

Mark W

Re: Fruit Trees
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 07:11:38 AM »
Wow Ed, that was some great information. Thanks for digging it up. And yes as the second article states, they do ask for them at the farmers market. For when I use to sell produce at one, the coveted spot to set up at was beside the peach man. And yes you would always hear people ask him when the Indian Bloods would be ripe, or are you going to have more next week?  great to see you having a interest in the topic. maybe have to reward the thread participants with a Indian Blood seedling ;)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 12:36:42 PM »
Peach trees resistant to peach leaf curl!!   Well....I could not help myself, I wanted one. So, I went to the site and they are not selling bareroot trees now. Apparently they have sold them all. And, they do not sell bench grafted peaches.  :(   But, disappointment is relieved by remembering the good flavor of the indian blood peach!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mark W

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 12:44:24 PM »
No problem Richard, I will get some on the way before too long. How many you think you can use? 10,20,50? Sounds like I need to go into the business. Taking orders lol.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2013, 03:51:43 PM »
I think one will be enough, unless you think it may not survive.  I had 9,000 at one time.  It proved to be too much.  :)

Peaches are a problem with the curl. I do not spray, so when it rains a lot after they leaf out, I am in trouble. Some of mine have gone back to the root stock. So, I am working with my pecans now. But, as Scripture says, I must work by the sweat of my brow. With the pecans, it is the gray squirrels that I have to contend with.  For years I let them have most of them, but now, with the price of nuts having gone way past affording them, I am contending with Charlie.  I can't bring myself to injure them, but I surely can discourage him. I gave him five trees and I want my other three. So, when he ventures into them, he knows I am coming with the hose. He doesn't like be squirted.   So, I have to be on my toes because he knows just when to start picking and then the race is on.  The problem is, he is happy taking a few nuts at a time. I have to wait until many are ready. So, I have to stand guard for a couple of weeks. Same with the deer. We have a thread on the deer.  They are quite cute, but to me they are the enemy. Roses, photinia, tomatoes, and what ever else they want, they eat. Such is the life of a gardener. Money would solve the problem, I am sure. I could surround all with a protective barrier so that Charlie and his friends could not get to the nuts, fruits, and veggies. But, God is control, so I just keep my guard up.     :)
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mark W

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 08:14:57 PM »
Richard, I gave away over 100 Indian blood peach trees to a friend that is in the tree business and the only peach tree he grows are Indian Blood. But what I wanted to say was that he did give me a quart of them canned and let me tell you, they were good. He had canned them in apple juice and the taste was as described, a little tartness but yet sweet as well. Definitely much better then what you could ever get out of the store. One drawback that may have aided in the tartness was the fact they had been canned with the skins still on. Never ate them like that but still good. Mark

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 09:18:31 PM »
Sounds fantastic, Mark! The trees all look good. They are leafing out nicely.  It will be a race between getting into heaven or eating peaches!!!  :)

Al

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2013, 09:02:02 AM »
Hi everyone I have several small fruit trees on my property. I think the trees are almost going on two years. I have moved a couple and dug large holes with compost and manure and replanted them. They are blooming out very nicely. But I don't know how to care for these trees to protect them from pests we just moved here last June. Are there some sprays that are better than others or does it depend on each tree? I really don't know what these tress are as of yet. I know one is a Asian Pear but don't have a clue until the others fruit out.

Are there safer natural sprays to use and do they really work? And last but not least how often do the trees need to be sprayed during the summer.

Thanks
Jesus looked upon the distressed and heart burdened, those whose hopes were blighted, and who with earthly joys were seeking to quiet the longing of the soul, and He invited all to find rest in Him.  {DA 328.3}

colporteur

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2013, 10:03:10 AM »
Al;

When we were in Wisconsin we planted our fruit trees the way EGW recommended and they produced marvelously. We moved to Michigan and after five years visited our old place again on a trip back through Wisconsin. The landowner thought the fruit trees we just ornamental. He did not know the first thing about them and therefore took no care of them. He let us pick some fruit and take home with us. The pears and apples were hugh had not a worm in them and the trees had not been sprayed, fertilized, or trimmed for 5 years. There were apples cherries, and plums.

One way to help avoid pests is to hang a red plastic ball or two on the tree treated with a super sticky substance. The moth thinks it is ripe fruit and flies over to check it out. There she stays. In a short while the ball is so full of moths, and insects you cannot believe it. While this may not bug proof your trees 100% it will protect them considerably. I have found that if you do that about twice during the season it is very helpful. There are balls and sticky produced especially for this. Garden's Alive is one such place you can order from. They also have organic sprays etc..
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2013, 10:30:21 AM »
Great natural remedy for preventing worms and such.

Al, I have two Asian Pear trees.  I have never sprayed them, nor have I had an insect problem. Matter of fact, I have never sprayed any of my fruit trees. The only problems I have had has been with peach leaf curl and bark blistering from sun burn on my two cherry trees. Before the got a canopy, the sun scorched the bark. They say that painting them with a watered down white latex paint will help prevent this. I have used drain pipe to protect the trunk, but it failed above the pipe on my cherry tree.  Unless you know there is a problem with insects, or you have peach trees, I would not be concerned about spraying. I like the sticky ball idea. That would be a good idea for my tomatoes also.  :)   Hate those green horned tomato worms! I have only used an insecticide once in my life, as described in my previous post.  I had an orange grove and never sprayed my trees. They had some scale, but it did not get to be a major problem. Some times an oil can be sprayed to smoother some critters. The world mixes the oil with an insecticide, but I think that just using an oil will sometimes do the job.

You will blessed to be able to move the trees. Often times many trees will develop quite a tap root that makes it near impossible to dig up without injuring the tree.

Al

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2013, 08:02:15 PM »
colporteur,

I like the idea of the fake fruit this would be great if it worked with squash bugs. What kind sticky stuff do you use? I have heard of others who have planted trees according to EGW council. I have never seen it but there some years back there was a whole bunch of avocado trees planted this way somewhere in California. I have at times dreamed of eating an avocado from such a tree.

I guess the man who owned your property did not care much for fruit trees. The fruit sounds delicious and I really like cherries. Thanks for sharing. I would guess you planted more fruit trees in Michigan?

Richard,

Have you ever done any research on the internet on the leave curling problem? I have used white paint on some trees trunks before it does not seem to harm the tree.  I have the flex drain pipe on some of my tree trunks for rabbit control.

I was a little concerned about one tree I moved. It was right in the middle of where I wanted the garden. So I dug around it and tried to get as much of the tap root as possible. After I replanted it  I thought it was dead but there was still green in the branches. Because of the shock it is a late bloomer it is just now starting to bud. Some of the other trees have flowered and leafed. The good thing about my late bloomer I won't have to worry about the frost.

I guess we will find out about the tomatoes and see if we have the same problems you are.
Jesus looked upon the distressed and heart burdened, those whose hopes were blighted, and who with earthly joys were seeking to quiet the longing of the soul, and He invited all to find rest in Him.  {DA 328.3}

Mark W

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2013, 08:58:26 PM »
Yes as Richard says, pear trees seem to never have a problem with bugs. Actually this is why I have a dozen or two. I only have a problem with fire blight from my humid climate, actually killed one last year but most weather it fine. I would say though that on the trees you have transplanted, I would pic any and all fruit that might develop this year for it will be too much stress on the root system. And even next year you will want to thin and especially asian pears. 
PS on squash bugs, try getting some food grade hydrogen Peroxide and put it in a spray bottle. Place some scrap pieces of board in the squash patch and every morning go out and look under the boards. If you see some give them a squirt and I would say it would fry then where they set but with no harsh pesticides. 

Al

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2013, 05:58:26 AM »
Thanks Mark,

Very good idea about thinning the fruit trees that were replanted.  When we lived in Arizona there was a older man who had allot of fruit trees. And he was teaching us how to prune and graft and he asked us to thin an apricot tree and gave us instructions on how to do it. My wife and I had a hard time thinning out the unripe fruit. The tree was just loaded with apricots.  We did not thin the tree enough and it  died. Was a very hard lesson we both felt terrible. There might be a spiritual lesson in this.

I like your idea about squash bugs. I knew about the board trick but as you know the old fashioned way was to stomp them or squish them yuck. The hydrogen peroxide spray would be less messy. Thanks for the tip.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2013, 07:01:29 AM »
The tree was just loaded with apricots.  We did not thin the tree enough and it  died. Was a very hard lesson we both felt terrible. There might be a spiritual lesson in this.

Yes, there is a lesson, Al. We have the topic The Young Fruit Tree in the Lessons From Nature Forum(board). It requires great discipline to pick off the blossoms from a young tree, so that no fruit will be produced.  :)

colporteur

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2013, 07:41:12 AM »
Al;

I only planted a couple of Honey Crisp Apple trees while in Michigan.  We had our hands full with clearing an area, hauling in black dirt, and getting a garden, berries and asparagus etc. established.

I don't know what the sticky is but you will want to wear rubber gloves or be careful cause it is the stickiest stuff I have ever worked with. Nothing short of mineral spirits will take it off your hands. Like I say, Garden's Alive carries it as well as the apples. The apples are kitten ball sized and come with a wire hanger. The sticky comes in a can with a little brush inside. Incidently, they also have self stick cards  for the inside of the house for those moths that lay eggs and ruin your grain flour. These are little card with black and white colored bars and a little nipple that has a mating scent. If you have one or more moths in the house it will get them.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2013, 07:01:35 AM »
I was looking for rock phosphate and ended up getting a 50 pound bag of phosphate/calcium powder.  Was unhappy that I had not recognized sooner it was not rock. But, I got it anyway. Any ideas as to how to apply it when planting trees?

Mark W

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2013, 09:12:09 PM »
Richard, I am not familiar with what you have. Does it have a name on the bag or maybe the kind of phosphate used? Just wonder if it is the kind used for livestock? Little more info and I will see if I can help you out.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2013, 11:11:11 AM »
It is called Calphos, made from rock phosphate and colliodal clay.   3% phosphoric acid and 20% calcium.

They advertized it as Calphos Soft Rock Phosphate.  I did not catch that it contained more than the phosphate. So, it was a good deal. But, then when I paid for it and picked it up in the warehouse, I saw it was only 3% phosphate.  :(

So, it will not last many years as the rock would. It will either be flushed away or used up relatively fast?

Mark W

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2013, 07:09:56 PM »
Yes you are right it might not last a long time, but my concern would be the calcium. I am not familiar with the soil in your part of the country but have heard that many of the western states have a high PH. so if this is your soil, the calcium would only raise it even more. Just something to consider and yes it is hard to beat the soft rock phosphate.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2017, 09:59:17 PM »
It is good to begin small when entering a new adventure. I think I went a little overboard.  Having 9,000 peach trees in the ground is not the same as having 400 bare-root trees in a tub just out of cold storage this time of year. Healed in about 200, sold about 100, and have 100 to pot tomorrow.   :(   We are into 100 degree weather.  Fun, fun, fun!!  The trees came up at an unexpected moment and here I am amid the trees. Got peaches, apples, cherries, nectarines, and almonds. Just after buying the trees, my tractor quit on me. The Bible tells us that we will glory in our tribulation. Yes, I am, but that does not change the fact that it is indeed a trial. But, there are more important things than the life of a fruit tree. God has blessed. I have also been blessed to give away quite a few. God is so very GOOD!