Author Topic: Bay or Eucalyptus?  (Read 31302 times)

Vicki

Bay or Eucalyptus?
« on: September 23, 2009, 07:55:11 PM »
I'm a bit dumb-founded by what a friend told me, and a bit ignorant on trees so thought I could ask for some help.

Are bay leaves and eucalyptus leaves similar in properties - what they are used for? I thought they were totally different: bay for soup flavorings, ecalyptus for healing teas or herbal capsules.

The reason I ask is someone gave me "bay" leaves which I've used in the last few weeks for canning. Husband helped this friend move to a warmer climate recently. The man started picking leaves of a tree by the pool and said, "Did you know bay leaves and eucalyptus leaves are the same?"  :o No, I didn't. The leaves I canned with were long and narrow like eucalyptus leaves. So, I'm wondering if I now have extra healthy canned goods or are they in fact the same, which I highly doubt.  ::)  ::) ::)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Bay or Eucalyptus?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 10:39:28 PM »
They are not the same.  Bay leaves are good for seasoning and Eucalyptus will help keep fleas away and the oil is used for medicinal purposes, as you believed, Vicki.  I do not know if they are edible. I would check before I ate them. :)
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Vicki

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 08:28:50 AM »
They are not the same.  Bay leaves are good for seasoning and Eucalyptus will help keep fleas away and the oil is used for medicinal purposes, as you believed, Vicki.  I do not know if they are edible. I would check before I ate them. :)

Well, since there are no fleas in this area of the country the canned goods aren't much benefit to us.  ;D ::) I'm considering dumping them in compost since the flavor might tend toward bitter, but will probably wait it out and taste test it this winter. I'm positive the leaves are eucalyptus.

Husband did more research on bay & eucalyptus last night: Bay is in the Laurel family, Eucalyptus is a Myrtle. He found there are 2 types of trees very similar to bay trees: Mountain Laurel & Cherry Laurel - both poisonous.  :o

I was hesitant to accept the leaves and only took 2 because previously he gave me wild dill which turned out to be wild fennel. But he then took my jar and stuffed it full. I meant to throw them out later because they didin't look like bay leaves, but forgot about my intentions and used the things. I have been given eucalyptus leaves before and made a nice tea from them - good for other things besides fleas.  ;) It's just nice to know what you have so it can be used properly.

Caution: watch out for people giving you herbs when you aren't sure what they are.

colporteur

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 09:22:42 AM »
They are not the same.  Bay leaves are good for seasoning and Eucalyptus will help keep fleas away and the oil is used for medicinal purposes, as you believed, Vicki.  I do not know if they are edible. I would check before I ate them. :)

They are for Koalas but that's not helpful.  ;D
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Sister Dee

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 09:30:48 AM »
They are not the same.  Bay leaves are good for seasoning and Eucalyptus will help keep fleas away and the oil is used for medicinal purposes, as you believed, Vicki.  I do not know if they are edible. I would check before I ate them. :)

They are for Koalas but that's not helpful.  ;D

I thought of Koalas, too!   :D  I don't suppose you have any in your neighborhood to share with, Vicki?   ;)

Vicki

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 11:30:46 AM »
No fleas, no koalas.  :D No uncanned eucalyptus leaves, either.  ::)

Vicki

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 11:34:35 AM »
We are sorry to hear that ----- has met with so serious an accident. I have often found the application of eucalyptus leaves to a wounded part to be good in allaying inflammation and drawing out the poison. - MR Vol 3, p 323.2

Again, take warm footbaths into which have been put the leaves from the eucalyptus tree. There is great virtue in these leaves, and if you will try this, you will prove my words to be true. The oil of the eucalyptus is especially beneficial in cases of cough and pains in the chest and lungs. I want you to make a trial of this remedy which is so simple, and which costs you nothing.- 2SM, p. 301.2

I don't see where it says to can them, though.  :D A foot bath would feel really good right now...

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 11:42:06 AM »
Bless you, dear woman! I'm sorry you lost all those cans!

I once thought a lavender bush was sage until I took a bite.  ::)  Dear husband was the horticulturist for good reason.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Vicki

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 12:12:30 PM »
If we eat the canned goods we will be getting a natural diuretic & anti-diabetic formula in our food. Or I could rub it on our chests instead of Vic's VapoRub this winter for a natural decongestant.  :D

It's one of those times that you really can't believe the ignorance and if you don't laugh about it ...  >:(

There are a lot of sage's out there. I think some even have purple flowers. There, you are formally excused for your ignorance.  ;) I'd like to learn more about sage, I love the smell and taste. We have an old sage on our land, but don't think the ones that grow wild around here are of the edible variety. I found sage apples on some this year. Looked it up and found they were edible, but they just don't look right growing on a sage so I couldn't bring myself to try one.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 12:56:27 PM »
We have the same stuff - grows in abundance and best not "et." The only thing I have seen it used for is "sage sticks" the New Agers use to clean the bad spirits out of previously occupied residences.  ::) Like that works! But - a large batch of it gathered up into a nice basket will keep your house smelling great for weeks at a time! :D And if you want a literal surge of aroma from it - toss a batch into boiling water and stand back!  ;D
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Kathleen

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 07:55:44 AM »
No fleas, no koalas.  :D No uncanned eucalyptus leaves, either.  ::)

Where are you that you have no fleas?  I can send you lots of them.  :D  I don't know what I am going to do about my poor dogs.  They are suffering from fleas.   :'(

Marelis

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 10:03:08 AM »
Bay and eucalyptus leaves are different.  Fresh bay leaves smell herbal whereas eucalyptus has as sharp, menthol-type smell. I have a bay tree and could send you a picture of the leaves if need be (and of eucalyptus leaves as well.)  There are different kinds of eucalyptus (leaves vary), so identification may not be so easy. If you think you might have used eucalyptus leaves for canning, I probably wouldn't eat the goods.  Not sure it would kill you, but certainly won't taste great and might make you ill.  Eucalyptus tea is safe used medicinally eg for respiratory infections, cough.  But the  canning process might release too much essential oil. Bay leaves are great for flavoring soups and stews.
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

Marelis

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 10:13:38 AM »
Caution: watch out for people giving you herbs when you aren't sure what they are.
;D
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

Vicki

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 06:30:02 AM »
Bay and eucalyptus leaves are different.  Fresh bay leaves smell herbal whereas eucalyptus has as sharp, menthol-type smell. I have a bay tree and could send you a picture of the leaves if need be (and of eucalyptus leaves as well.)  There are different kinds of eucalyptus (leaves vary), so identification may not be so easy. If you think you might have used eucalyptus leaves for canning, I probably wouldn't eat the goods.  Not sure it would kill you, but certainly won't taste great and might make you ill.  Eucalyptus tea is safe used medicinally eg for respiratory infections, cough.  But the  canning process might release too much essential oil. Bay leaves are great for flavoring soups and stews.

Thanks, but I'm a bit familiar with the shape of both. When the guy gave me supposedly bay leaves they looked like eucalyptus so I was unsure whether to take them. He offended easily at the dill/fennel mix up so thought I'd remove them from the jar later. I forgot & used them when I was in a hurry. Hopefully lesson learned: don't be worried about offending someone with the truth - it's their descision whether to be offended or not.

Vicki

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 06:32:09 AM »
We have the same stuff - grows in abundance and best not "et." The only thing I have seen it used for is "sage sticks" the New Agers use to clean the bad spirits out of previously occupied residences.  ::) Like that works! But - a large batch of it gathered up into a nice basket will keep your house smelling great for weeks at a time! :D And if you want a literal surge of aroma from it - toss a batch into boiling water and stand back!  ;D

I never thought of gathering it into a basket for looks & fragrance. I'll have to try that! You have me not so sure about boiling it... :D

Kelsy

• Member at Rest
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2009, 06:45:16 AM »
Bay leaves left on window sills will keep the ants away. At least the ants that live in the south do not like them.

Vicki

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 07:30:19 AM »
I'll have to try that in this area. They're gone now, but we had a minor plague of tiny ants come in the door near the laundry area. Couldn't figure out why, they never went streaming in any direction - just lost little creatures going in circles. Do the bay leaves have to be fresh, or will dry work?

colporteur

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2009, 04:04:43 PM »
I have always wanted to comment when I see you to saints posting together Vicki and Kelsey, "You have some amazingly similar physical characteristics." ;D
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Vicki

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2009, 04:09:37 PM »
I have always wanted to comment when I see you to saints posting together Vicki and Kelsey, "You have some amazingly similar physical characteristics." ;D

:D :D :D

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2009, 10:54:35 PM »
Its the eyes....no, maybe the noses!!  :)  But, whatever it is, they do have a common look!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.