Author Topic: Freezing Applesauce  (Read 19013 times)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Freezing Applesauce
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2009, 07:07:28 AM »
I need the recipe for the cream sauce and exact step-by-step instructions on how to treat the collards in preparation for the cream sauce.  :-\
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Tim2

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2009, 08:23:46 AM »
Sister Sybil;  The hardest thing I've ever taken on, has been to retrain my tastebuds.  My wonderful and patient wife, has gone through many "cooking schools" in an effort to find substitues for the foods that I was already accustomed to eating.  After many years, I find that I enjoy most foods raw, simple and just the way God grows them -- there are exceptions, but with our busy lives we just usually eat simple (that, of course, doesn't count holidays).  This cream sauce does sound interesting, though!

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2009, 08:41:03 AM »
Bless your sweet wife, Tim! In my estimation, the cream sauce would have to be exceedingly potent to neutralize the most unpleasant tart/sour taste of cooked collards. My dear mother was not the best cook in the world and when she came across something that aroused her taste buds, none of us would hear the end of it until we had a serving.  What works for one certainly doesn't for another. The Lord was gracious to His children to give us a variety of greens. It is not imperative that I fall in love with collards and as you can see, I am not convinced the sauce will help me out, but I will try it one of these days when all other food is out of my reach.  ;)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2009, 01:56:38 PM »
"when all other food is out of reach"!  :)   That's the way I feel about cranberries!!  :)  Each of us has the liberty to like and dislike a particular food. With children, they seem to carry it a bit far, especially when allowed to eat things highly sweetened and oily. Their appetites become perverted and natural flavor is not enough. They then don't like many foods.

But, with us, we can refuse to eat collards and cranberries. But....I will try anything once! I learned that very young. And, collards in my cream sauce are very very good!!!  :)  But, if you are like me and cranberries, you may not be able to get them down to find out!!!  :)
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2009, 07:21:34 PM »
 :D

Vicki

« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2009, 06:26:40 AM »
Speaking of applesauce, we grew delicious swiss chard this year.  ;D In fact, there's still a bit in the garden. We ate it raw in sandwiches because that was the only green we had in abundance.  When I eat it raw it creates a tickling sensation at the back of my throat. Any idea why that might be?

Immanuel

• Senior Moderator
  • Jesus is My Judge
    • Emmanuel Institute of Evangelism
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2009, 09:17:30 AM »
When I eat it raw it creates a tickling sensation at the back of my throat. Any idea why that might be?

It is most likely a slight allergic reaction:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/why-are-we-becoming-allergic-to-modern-life-721090.html

Vicki

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2009, 09:52:36 AM »
Thanks for the link, Immanuel. Allergic reaction had crossed my mind, but I never thought it possible to be allergic to greens. I'll have to plant collards next year.  ;)

Brian M

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2009, 04:54:22 PM »
Thanks for the link, Immanuel. Allergic reaction had crossed my mind, but I never thought it possible to be allergic to greens. I'll have to plant collards next year.  ;)

I'll just assume I'm allergic to greens too ::)
Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. Psalm 119:18

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2009, 06:51:48 PM »
:(  When boiled in cream sauce the allergies go away!! :)
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2009, 08:07:03 PM »
 :D