Author Topic: Using The "Quote Feature" When Quoting Previous Posts  (Read 8555 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Using The "Quote Feature" When Quoting Previous Posts
« on: June 19, 2009, 01:34:51 PM »
We have a quote feature that may be used with discretion. Please do not needlessly quote whole posts when it is not necessary. If everyone does this continually, we use more space and bandwidth than is needful. I think that when there is no post between yours and and the one being referred to, there is little reason to use the quote feature. If you want to quote a passage, then do so, but please do not quote the entire post if there is no need.

Here is an example of how to quote a portion of a previous post instead of the whole post:

Click on the "quote" icon and then edit the material to leave only the needful information. The quote box refers to previous posts and indicates who and when the post was made. Always leave that information at the beginning of each quote. In the edit box you will notice that the quote begins with (quote author=Richard Myers link=topic=838.msg98044#msg98044 date=1244180426)  I have used curved brackets, but the real ones are like this:  [   ]    If I used the [   ]   then they would not be visible in my post.  When your message is posted none of the code is visible.

To end the portion of the quote you must then use the following:    (/quote)  but with the [    ] not the curved ones.  You will see that before you edit the quotation, that the code is already there. It is at the beginning of the quote and the end of the quote. You will see the brackets with (quote) at the beginning and (/quote) at the end.  So, you really only need to delete the excess material from the quote.

If you wish to quote more than one section of a previous post, you only need to end each section with (/quote) and begin the new section with (quote). There is no need to use the name and date a second time.      

You can play with the quote feature by clicking on the "Preview" at the bottom of your edit box (next to the "Post".  This will allow you to see what will be posted. It will appear above your message. You will have to scroll up to see it.

If you have questions, you may ask them here. Thank you for helping us to minimize the wasted space and bandwidth. It is much appreciated.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Using The "Quote Feature" When Quoting Previous Posts
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 05:56:12 AM »
The quote feature is useful in responding to previous posts since it reveals the name, date, and time of the post being quoted. Please do not use the quote feature to respond to the last post. There is no reason to since it is understood to be a continuation of the discussion. We are happy to provide the quote feature, but we do not want to waste our allotted space and bandwidth with quotes that are not necessary.

An exception to this would be when you are responding to a long post and want to reply by quoting portions point by point.

Thank you.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Using The "Quote Feature" When Quoting Previous Posts
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 05:41:26 PM »
Have you noticed a plethora of quote boxes disappearing over the past month or so when you KNEW you quoted the last post?  :o

We have a nifty tool that goes around deleting them every time one is found; however, the tool is not automated, it's manual and the tool is me. Please reacquaint yourself with Richard's request not to quote the last post. If there is something within that post you wish to specifically address, quote it, but not the entire post, please. I know it has become a habit at this point and you don't do it on purpose, but do try to break it as soon as possible.  :-*

Thank you each and every one. Have a blest Sabbath!   
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89