Author Topic: TRO Newsletter Archive  (Read 109574 times)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: TRO Newsletter Archive
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2013, 04:03:55 PM »
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2013, 04:22:05 PM »

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2013, 09:36:44 AM »

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2013, 08:43:47 AM »

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2013, 07:28:27 AM »

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2013, 10:31:44 AM »

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2013, 08:49:21 PM »

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2013, 06:06:15 PM »

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2013, 05:22:56 PM »

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2014, 04:13:55 PM »

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2014, 03:42:45 PM »

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2014, 08:01:28 AM »

Living Water
by Al
March 18, 2014

My property borders BLM land. This affords me a place to walk every morning. My dogs seem to get in three to four miles as they inspect the surrounding terrain and sniff every bush in sight. Every once in a while they scare up a Jack Rabbit and the chase is on and don't forget the low flying birds who give the dogs a daily dose of their morning exercise. When we get home, the dogs - panting hard - make a mad rush for the water dish. This makes me think of the scripture in Psalms 42:1-2: "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?"

I wonder if any of you have sung this song in church or at home for worship. It is one thing to chant the words of this scripture and quite another to really have this experience. In this psalm, David is making the comparison of a hart that desires or longs after the water brook to his desire to seek after God. David goes on to say that his soul is thirsty for God just as much as my dogs desire the water dish.

This same idea is expressed again in Psalms 84:2 "My soul longeth, yea, even fainteth for the courts of the LORD: my heart and my flesh crieth out for the living God." While the main emphasis is on spending time with God in prayer, we are also talking about spending quality time with God in study and meditation.

"O that we might have a consuming desire to know God by an experimental knowledge, to come into the audience chamber of the Most High, reaching up the hand of faith, and casting our helpless souls upon the One mighty to save. His loving kindness is better than life. He desires to bestow on the children of men the riches of an eternal inheritance. His kingdom is an everlasting kingdom." Sons and Daughters of God, Chapter 1, page 24; 1991.

Let's say I have a sign out front of my property which says "Corn for sale - You pick." Then when you stop and ask about the corn, I tell you I have two fields. One field has some corn worms and the other field is 100% pure corn. In order to get your money's worth you would naturally want to pick in the field with the best corn. While this illustration seems simple enough, how often do we trade our time with God for a little more sleep in bed or some important project?

Have you ever heard the expression that "We destroy the best by the good"?  It is a good thing to get some more sleep in the morning and there are plenty of good books to read and good places to go. But what happens to the best things in life? Are we picking corn that is infected with worms?

Jesus talked about being thirsty in the Sermon on the Mount. "Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled." Matthew 5:6.

Those who hunger and thirst after righteousness are said to be "blessed." This word carries the idea of being happy and well off and being in favor with God. If a person is not hungering and thirsting after God, they should ask, "Why?" as something has gone wrong in their experience with Christ. This is not the time to deceive ourselves into thinking that our experience is a good one when it really is not.  If we are not drawing from the well of salvation and gaining new strength and power every day then we have fallen away and need to be restored to fellowship with God. Jesus is longing for us and waiting to bless us. Our Savior desires to speak to us through His word and refresh us with His Spirit.

"Those who make room in their hearts for Jesus will realize His love. All who long to bear the likeness of the character of God shall be satisfied. The Holy Spirit never leaves unassisted the soul who is looking unto Jesus. He takes of the things of Christ and shows them unto him. If the eye is kept fixed on Christ, the work of the Spirit ceases not until the soul is conformed to His image. The pure element of love will expand the soul, giving it a capacity for higher attainments, for increased knowledge of heavenly things, so that it will not rest short of the fullness. "Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness; for they shall be filled."  Desire of Ages, page 302.

When we spend time with God we will have fresh supplies of His grace to carry us through the day. Unconsciously we will have an influence with those we meet because we have made room in our hearts for Jesus. If we do not have a fresh supply of grace and are living on an old experience, our influence on others will die. We will be handing out old leftovers from days past. How can we love our neighbor as ourselves if we neglect prayer and fresh views of our Lord and Savior? If we want to give glory to God and carry out the first angel's message then we need to realize our desperate need to be at the feet of Jesus.

If you are not hungry and thirsting after God then pray to become hungry and thirsty. Though you might not feel like taking time for God, do it anyway. We cannot let our feelings dictate our faith. Living by faith is doing what is right no matter what our feelings say.

This is not about simply putting in time with God. When we realize our weakness, we learn to depend upon a power beyond our own resources. If you no longer realize your weakness and your need then something has gone wrong in your experience. I am sure we have all sung "I Need Thee Every Hour." Here is the refrain.

"I need Thee, oh I need Thee;
     Every hour I need Thee;
Oh, bless me now, my Savior,
     I come to Thee."

Is this truly our experience?

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2014, 06:45:21 PM »

Newsletter - April 2014

Christ Our Great Sacrifice
by E.G. White
Published in The Review and Herald, March 16, 1886
Sermon Delivered at Basel, Switzerland, Sabbath, September 12, 1885

"For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works." Titus 2:11-14.

While we were under the power of the enemy, in slavery to him, Christ gave his life a sacrifice for us. We are not our own; he has purchased us with the price of agony and blood. The object of this great sacrifice was to bring us into the liberty of sons and daughters of God. But if we cherish iniquity in our hearts, we defeat the purpose of our Saviour, and rob God of the service that is his due. Jesus came not to save men in their sins, but from their sins. "Sin is the transgression of the law," and if we fail to obey the law, we do not accept our Saviour. The only hope we have of salvation is through Christ. If his Spirit abides in the heart, sin cannot dwell there.

The love of Christ in the soul not only sanctifies the life and character, but it creates a desire on the part of its possessor to bring others to see and rejoice in that love. Christ came to draw all men unto himself and if we accept him, we shall, by the power of his grace working in us, attract others to him. But when those whom we thought to be our best friends resist our efforts for them, and turn upon us a cold shoulder, how apt we are to think that we are having a hard time, that we endure many trials and make great sacrifices for the truth.

At such times we should do well to think of Jesus. He left his throne in glory, came to earth, and died the ignominious death of the cross, "that he might redeem us from all iniquity." But he was despised and rejected by the very ones whom he came to redeem. Can the servant expect better treatment than was received by his Master? When we are disappointed in men, let us think how many times Jesus has been disappointed in those whom he came to save. How often he has sought fruit upon the fig-tree of his own planting, and found nothing but leaves! Shall we then become discouraged when personal friends forsake us, or when those whom we seek to bring to Christ choose a life of sin rather than of holiness?

Jesus said to those who refused his love, "Ye will not come to me that ye might have life." He presented before them no worldly honor, no earthly bribe; but he tried to impress them with the fact that it was to their advantage to possess this heavenly treasure; it was their only hope of being rescued from the slavery of sin and the cruel power of Satan. But when his teachings came close home and reproved their darling sins, many closed their eyes to the light. 

Shall we, like the Jewish nations, reject the light, and turn from the eternal reward? God forbid! It is said of Moses, that he "had respect unto the recompense of the reward;" and why not we? What is this recompense?--It is being made partakers with Christ of his glory. But only those will be made partakers of his glory who have also been partakers of his sufferings. Are we willing to drink of the cup that he drank of? 

How is it in our home experience? Do we bear the little vexations and disappointments of life without complaint? If we do not, neither would we endure greater trials. Compared with the great sacrifice of the Majesty of heaven, our petty trials sink into insignificance. But if these are rightly borne, we shall realize the truthfulness of the apostle's words, "Our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory." 

We all need to cultivate a firm trust in Jesus. When our eyes are fixed upon him, we shall not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are unseen. He says, "Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin; and yet I say unto you, that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?" Our faith is altogether too weak. Severe trials will soon come upon the people of God in this and other countries. The present is the time for them to learn to exercise strong faith in God, and to obtain a better understanding of his word.

What greater evidence can we have that Jesus loves us than that he died for us? And because he lives we shall live also. He is to us not a Saviour in Joseph's new tomb, that tomb closed with a great stone, and sealed with a Roman seal. Mourn not, brethren and sisters, as those who are hopeless and helpless; but from grateful hearts, and lips touched with holy fire, let the glad song ring out, "Jesus is risen; he lives to make intercession for us." "Every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure." Grasp this hope, and it will hold the soul like a sure, tried anchor. Believe, and thou shalt see the glory of God. 

This is a world of darkness. Those to whom the precious truths of God's word have been presented are to search the Scriptures for themselves, that they may, in turn, present the truth to others. The loyal and true are now called upon to come to the front, and let their light shine forth in firm, steady rays to those who are in darkness. None of us can meet the darkness of the world unless we rely firmly upon Jesus, our mighty helper. All heaven is interested in the salvation of the human family; and when God sees that we are interested in the salvation of others, he will work with us and for us. I entreat you, my brethren and sisters, to go to work to save the souls for whom Christ died. Do not wait for a strong impulse before you move. If I had waited for feeling, one-half of my life would have been spent without doing anything. Feeling is not to be our criterion. As soldiers of the cross of Christ, we must put on the whole armor of God. We have his promise, "Lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world." 

When Jesus ascended to heaven, he appointed men as his representatives to carry forward, in his name, the work which he had begun, promising them that, as they engaged in this work, they should have special help and strength. In view of this promise, and the great love of God for man, it has been difficult for many to understand why he permits his followers to suffer as the martyrs did through the Satanic cruelty of men professing to be the successors of Christ. This question troubled me for years. But when I saw how the angels of God hovered over these precious jewels, even as they hovered over the cross of Christ, my feelings were changed. By faith these faithful ones saw the crown of immortal glory, the white robe, and the palm branch of victory, and Jesus, their loved commander, watching over them. I then understood why our heavenly Father permits temptations, trials, and afflictions, to come to his loved ones. These are designed to give his children a deeper sense of his presence and providential care. They are also his providences, visitations of mercy, to bring back those who stray from his side. The peace that passeth understanding is not for those who try to shirk trials and self-denial. We cannot fully appreciate peace and joy in Christ, and the gift of eternal life, unless we are called to make some sacrifice to obtain these great blessings.

Let not the Christian feel that he is forsaken in the hour of trial. Not even a sparrow falls to the ground without the notice of our Father in heaven. He loves and cares for the feeblest of his creatures. We cannot dishonor him more than to doubt him. We need that living faith that will trust him in the hour of darkness and trial. 

I wish I could impress every soul before me today with the importance of having a close connection with God. If the heart is pure, we can come with boldness to the throne of grace. Believing that God hears us, we shall act just as though we knew that he heard. This is faith. If we wait for a special feeling, we may be disappointed. Feeling has nothing to do with faith. The conditions of acceptance are, that we come out from the world and be separate, that we put away secret sins, and that we cease to transgress knowingly any of God's requirements. 

What a heaven we would have if each were to go there with his peculiar temperament, his desire to have his own way! How unhappy would such persons be, even in heaven, if they could not always do as they pleased! The love of right must be inwrought in us while on the earth. The light of heaven will then come in, our hearts will open to Jesus, and we shall have perfect submission to the will of God.

Jesus gave us a perfect pattern. Let us study it carefully, and as we study and pray, we shall come into close connection with Heaven. Shall we not try harder to be like Jesus? Shall we not pray more? Shall we not make more earnest efforts for others? There is no time to be idled away. Every one who enters heaven will have, as the result of his labor, some soul to present to Jesus. The "well done" will never be said to those who have not done well. We must be faithful, we must be active, if we would receive the reward promised to the faithful.

The religion of Christ does not consist in merely having our names written on the church book; they must be written in the Lamb's book of life. Examine again the text. From this it will be seen that there is a decided difference between the followers of Christ and the world. They are a peculiar people; Jesus came to make them thus. The great motive presented to them is, "looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ." Let us keep our minds fixed upon the glorious appearing of him "who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people zealous of good works;" and let us act every day of our life as though we believed that his coming was near at hand.

Let us open the door of our hearts, that Jesus may come in and that sin may go out. Let us forsake the evil and choose the good, remembering that "we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." All who enter the city of God will do so as conquerors. Jesus overcame; and we may overcome, if we will fight our battles in his name. 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2014, 09:00:26 PM »

Deliverance in the Midst of the Storm
"Fear not; I will help thee."
by Mimi
June 8, 2014

For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee. Isaiah 41:13

And He did. First, one bright evening star and then two more, and then - the moon. The storm clouds rolled away to expose the glory of the night heavens and to reveal an answer to fervent prayer. “Fear not; I will help thee.” And He did.

The desire of a young man to spend extra time alone with his father came sooner than planned and necessitated an unexpected road trip, one we have made for the last fifteen years meeting half way between our homes. Once down to the lowlands, we would take the Interstate route so familiar to us. It stretches from sea to shining sea and encompasses a good portion of tornado alley. As a good retired Pathfinder, a check of the weather was done and our lunch was packed. We hit the road at noon to meet up with “father” by early evening.  It was uneventful, routine as usual. We met and I delivered my precious cargo to father’s waiting arms. It is always a joyous reunion to observe – a fifteen year-old now taller and more robust than all of us. With the handoff, the first leg of the annual trek had been completed and “home” was the next destination.

It was Sabbath and I had three CDs in the glove box. As much as they had been played and replayed, I was not ready to hear them again, not just yet, so I turned on Weatherband1 for company. “A strong line of thunderstorms are in the area with potential for damaging winds, softball-size hail and possible tornadoes” were on tap for the Interstate I had to retrace. They had been building in the west as we traveled east. We didn't notice them.

The sun was quickly covered with dark grey clouds. I was into the second hour of travel homeward. The rains began and then the winds. The next town was fifteen miles away: “Lord, guide me safely to cover until the storm passes over.” And He did. The huge truck stop was packed with cars, trucks, motor homes and I had to quickly park and get inside. The winds were already shaking the car, whipping it from side to side. The lightning and rains were as heavy as I had seen in my long lifetime. Grabbing my purse, I stepped out into the torrent of rain, wind and lightning and ran to the door. Standing under the full force of a bathroom shower for five minutes could not have deemed me any more soaked than I was during that sprint for cover. But I was only the latest person to experience this, for inside stood 50 to 75 people in the same condition. We waited for word on the weather when an employee of the truck stop announced a tornado ten miles north of our location is “headed our way. Take cover in the coolers or the shower bathrooms.” Some of us did, some did not. Standing in a cooler with wet clothes on was not too appealing, even though it could have helped save lives, so the inner rooms of the showers slowly filled. The majority of the people did the very thing we are warned not to do, they stood looking out of large glass windows and doors. My thoughts turned to the Bible and the warnings given therein. Who will heed the warnings?

We had a mass of humanity huddled there. Observations: mothers with small children, grandmothers, and men of all varieties. Young mothers whose breasts were so laid bare that one move could have caused them to full exposure at any moment, and why would I notice? Embarrassment. I internally took the shame for them and looked away while a particular woman caught my immediate attention, a Mormon. She was wearing their standard dress. It was yellow, high necked, long-sleeved and to the ankle. She was beautiful in her simplicity. Her hair was just as distinctive. She was “peculiar” among us and the picture of calm. I thought to myself, “I am the Seventh-day Adventist. Peculiar is my declared label in thought and expression, yet this woman’s very presence and demeanor, from outward appearances, had me trumped by a thousand yards." I noted it and squirmed at the idea. “Lord, help me be a better visual witness.”  Gazing stalk crossed my mind, but the Lord knew exactly what I meant. There was no need to get into that. And of course, my appearance was not like everyone else’s, but it still fell short of the true ideal and far short of the Morman’s who took it to heart. Just an observation and internal reprimand most women make but never speak of.

Time passed. The better part of an hour did not produce the possible destruction we awaited. Slowly, people began to disperse to check the skies. One by one they left. The radar showed heavy rains behind the storm but with it was an interlude I needed to take advantage of, so I crept out and off to the next town that would bring me closer to home. It was just then when hail and high winds reappeared and I stopped under an overpass with many other cars. We waited for close to another hour when I saw something in the two-o’clock position. A star. We were in a location where towers and antennas dot mountain tops and it caused me to think that was the source of the light, yet it never blinked. It was constant and did not move. Then to the left was an emerging light. It was the moon! And then two other stars joined the first one on the right! “Father, Son and Holy Ghost.” What a representation they made in my mind as I was trying to comprehend what was happening. Oh the thoughts of an old woman waiting for deliverance. 

“Fear not; I will help thee,” Isaiah wrote God's message thousands of years ago, yet it was Psalm 103 that I began to recite. That beloved Psalm that has brought comfort to millions in a myriad of situations saturated my thoughts. Then came Matthew 11:28, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." His stars and His moon brought it home and produced an experience. In my solitude, His promises removed all fear of any kind.

Two hundred miles of road yet lay before me and the way was cleared. It was as if the stars and moon stood still and remained in constant position just as they were under the overpass when I first saw them. I turned and wove my way toward home, changing directions many times, yet there they were – still there.  And another thing did not escape my notice – home was north. The Bible makes many references to God as being “in the north.” I was going in the right direction.

Weatherband1 was still reporting dangerous weather directly ahead of my path but the skies to the north were clear. The three stars and the moon were brightly shining while I cruised along those long stretches of mountain roads with songs of gratitude in my heart. At one point WB1 mentioned the very name of the little valley in which I live as receiving the brunt of the series of storm cells, tornadoes and all. How could that be when the skies are clear? Will home still be there? Will I have a roof, a bed, a cup or saucer? Again, thoughts of an old woman who had been delivered but was not quite home.

Incremental deliverance is faith building. Evidence of His guidance shores us up to keep on going because His promises are true. It is day by day, moment by moment. He gives us what we need when we need it. He was there while we stood as a huddled mass packed into shower stalls. He was there when I hit the road to go a little further in the face of dark clouds, winds, rain and hail. He was there waiting to show Himself while we waited at the overpass as high winds shook the cars with a vengeance. So, whatever befalls my vision upon turning into my driveway will bring with it strength from heaven to face it.

“Fear not; I will help thee.”

Yes, Lord.

The last ten miles are always the longest. Why so? Our longing for home has with it the cumulative experiences of the long trip. We are battle worn and exceedingly weary even in the midst of incremental deliverance that brings us joy untold at each mark. Home cannot come soon enough, yet each of those miles and minutes are necessary for the required experience to be able to stand before men and angels, to say nothing of standing before the most holy God. "We joy in our tribulations." It is a hard saying except as we understand where tribulations lead us in that experience. Do we fully understand or are we yet that dense? May the Lord have mercy as we appeal to heaven to give us a deeper experience, as painful as it is.

When He gives us a bitter draught to drink, He also holds a cup of blessing to our lips. He fills the heart with submission, with joy and peace in believing, and enables us to say submissively, Not my will, but Thy will, O Lord, be done (Letter 65a, 1894).

Home was in tact. Thank you, Lord. Bean poles were strewn and among other things, neighbors’ skylights were blown out. The answering machine was full of concerned messages that I promptly returned even at that late hour.

It was at midnight when full deliverance was given. We are familiar with that prophetic time reference. GC 636.2 Its representation did not go unnoticed when I looked at the clock. It was mine for that day - yesterday, Sabbath, June 7, 2014. Today will bring blessings afresh because of a deeper experience that was needed yesterday.

Yes, Lord.

Day by day, and with each passing moment,
Strength I find, to meet my trials here;
Trusting in my Father’s wise bestowment,
I’ve no cause for worry or for fear.
He Whose heart is kind beyond all measure
Gives unto each day what He deems best—
Lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest.

Every day, the Lord Himself is near me
With a special mercy for each hour;
All my cares He fain would bear, and cheer me,