Author Topic: Binding Aspects of the Mosaic Law  (Read 131603 times)

Brian M

Re: Binding Aspects of the Mosaic Law
« Reply #300 on: December 26, 2007, 08:59:50 AM »
The way I read the Bible, God is telling us not to mingle our seed, our food seed.

Mingle? As in genetically modified? I would assume that would fall under the category of mingled seed - in the literal sense.
Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. Psalm 119:18

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #301 on: December 26, 2007, 10:08:07 AM »
I think that we have indeed moved into a new area of "mingling seed".  :(

In Bible times, I believe it was a command to not plant crops in the same field so as to cross pollinate various plants and lose the original plant. So, one ought to plant seeds for different plants that will cross pollinate in different fields to avoid this problem. Today, we suffer greatly from not having done so. We have lost many of our seeds.

And, yes this new science of genetic engineering has rapidly destroyed our "good" seeds. Sadly, too many do not value the counsel given in Scripture.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Brian M

« Reply #302 on: December 26, 2007, 10:50:33 AM »
I think that we have indeed moved into a new area of "mingling seed".  :(

In Bible times, I believe it was a command to not plant crops in the same field so as to cross pollinate various plants and lose the original plant. So, one ought to plant seeds for different plants that will cross pollinate in different fields to avoid this problem. Today, we suffer greatly from not having done so. We have lost many of our seeds.

And, yes this new science of genetic engineering has rapidly destroyed our "good" seeds. Sadly, too many do not value the counsel given in Scripture.

I agree! Scripture comes out on top and way ahead again!
Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. Psalm 119:18

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #303 on: December 31, 2007, 10:31:46 PM »
I agree! Scripture comes out on top and way ahead again!

But there are those who object to us applying the Mosaic law to the world today.  They lose the blessing that we have gained, Brother Brian.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #304 on: February 03, 2008, 10:56:10 AM »
Elder S. N. Haskell on the Cities of Refuge - from his Bible Handbook, 1919:

Life Only Through Christ, As Taught By The Cities Of Refuge

Num. 35:11-14. The six cities of refuge were a constant reminder that eternal
life was a gift and not an inherent human inheritance. P.P. 516.

Deut. 19:2, 3. The roads leading to the cities were to be kept in good repair that
the one fleeing might not be hindered. P.P. 515.

Num. 35:15. The refuge was free to all; even the stranger and sojourner might
flee thither. P.P. 515.

Num. 35:16-25. The regulations regarding these cities taught that there were
degrees of crime. It was possible to go so far in sin that the sinner was delivered
over to the avenger even at the gate of the city. P.P. 516.

Heb. 6:4-6; Matt. 12:31, 32. There is an unpardonable sin.

Heb. 12:16, 17. Illustrated in the case of Esau.

Joshua 20:4. Confession was made at the gate before the one fleeing was
received.

1 John 1:9. The sinner must confess.

Num. 35:26-29. Inside the city was life; outside the city was death. P.P. 517.

Prov. 18:10; Ps. 91:2. Christ is a refuge. P.P. 516, 517.

1 John 5:11, 12; John 15:4-7. Our safety is to abide in Christ.

Num. 35:26-28. If one presumptuously went outside the city, his life could be
taken.

Eze. 18:24-26. The one that turns from the refuge of Christ, dies the second
death.

Joshua 20:6; Num. 35:25. There were two important events to which the dweller in the city looked forward,–the judgment and the death of the high priest. The judgment decided his destiny; the death of the high priest restored him to freedom of the land. The decision in the judgment decides our eternal
destiny; and when our High Priest ceases to be high priest, our adversary, the devil, has no power to take our life, and we come into possession of our eternal inheritance.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

teresaq

« Reply #305 on: August 02, 2008, 08:43:13 PM »
i havent read all on this topic, but it seems great!!

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #306 on: August 02, 2008, 09:08:31 PM »
Oh, it is a great topic, Teresa. There is a wealth of information contained in these pages. It has been one of the most enjoyable studies I have ever participated in.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #307 on: May 23, 2009, 03:53:31 PM »
Just a short reminder that there are three distinct sets of laws in the Bible. Moral, ceremonial, and civil. The ceremonial and the civil do not apply today, but the moral law does. The civil law would have involved moral law, but because Israel was a theocracy, there were severe punishments prescribed. God does not err.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #308 on: October 19, 2009, 06:04:57 PM »
While studying the covenants I came across this incredible quotation from Inspiration. Try to imagine it!

If man had kept the law of God, as given to Adam after his fall, preserved by Noah, and observed by Abraham, there would have been no necessity for the ordinance of circumcision. And if the descendants of Abraham had kept the covenant, of which circumcision was a sign, they would never have been seduced into idolatry, nor would it have been necessary for them to suffer a life of bondage in Egypt; they would have kept God's law in mind, and there would have been no necessity for it to be proclaimed from Sinai or engraved upon the tables of stone. And had the people practiced the principles of the Ten Commandments, there would have been no need of the additional directions given to Moses.  {PP 364.2}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #309 on: October 19, 2009, 09:53:10 PM »
Could the people have kept  the law?

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #310 on: October 19, 2009, 10:15:43 PM »
Not through their own power. But we need to remember, "By faith, Abraham ..." had the ability many years prior to their time as captives. The initial wilderness experience found them without a knowledge of God. After so many years under Egyptian rule they were reduced to profound ignorance of who they once were in the sight of God. Therefore it was necessary for God to remind them who He is and how far they had fallen, so He gave them a transcript of His character that acted as a mirror to their very souls, exposing their true condition and extreme need of a Saviour.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #311 on: October 19, 2009, 11:01:03 PM »
Amen!!  There is no excuse for sin. God, at great expense provided a remedy for our sin sick souls. He gave us His Son, that we might become partakers of His divine nature. This did not begin with the new covenant, it was a promise made to Adam. God promised that He would put enmity in his heart IF he would learn of Christ and accept Him as Saviour. He taught Adam and his children through the animal sacrifices that Jesus would take the sins upon Himself of all who would come to Him by faith.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #312 on: October 20, 2009, 05:06:09 AM »
That is exactly what He did.  :)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #313 on: October 20, 2009, 07:59:24 AM »
Amen! And thus He gives us His Spirit and causes us to walk in His statutes, and we shall keep His judgments, and do them. Eze. 36: 27.  A reference not only to the ten commandment law, but the portions of the Mosaic law that are not civil nor ceremonial.  Thus, the feast days are excluded. 

Tim2

« Reply #314 on: April 07, 2010, 05:32:52 AM »
I noticed that at the end of Leviticus, vs 34 says, "these are the commandments which the Lord commanded Moses for the children of Israel on Mt Sinai."  All that He laid out for them to do were commandments -- From what I have studied so far, I cannot agree that the whole feast is excluded because you are calling it ceremonial, my dear friend.  I am more convince than ever that only the temporary offering and sacrifice portion of any of the convocations we nailed to the cross -- that part of every service that included these sacrificial regulations.  Jesus is alive and still offering his blood, so the in effect, the sacrifice is still being offered.  The original observance of the Seventh-day Sabbath did also involve the sacrificing of animals and we know that the 4th commandment did not get nailed to the cross. (see 1 Chron. 23:31; 2 Chron. 2:4; 2 Chron. 8:13; 2 Chron. 31:3; Neh. 10:33; Eze. 45:17).

“That God who reads the hearts of everyone, will bring to light hidden things of darkness where they were often least suspected, that stumbling blocks which have hindered the progress of truth may be removed, and God have a clean and holy people to declare His statutes and judgments. “The Captain of our salvation leads His people on step by step, purifying and fitting them for translation, and leaving in the rear those who are disposed to draw off from the body, who are not willing to be led...” 1T 333

What is this light that has been hidden or these stumbling blocks which have hindered the progress of truth?  Anyone have a thought on this?  These statutes and judgments are obviously part of the last Elijah message to the world.  Also, I have noticed that there is more to "restoring the breach" that just preaching the Sabbath more fully.  The beast changed times as well as laws.

I am more convinced than ever that many more of these Levitical laws than I thought, are still required.  I think God gave us the SOP to reinstate many of these things.  I will continue to study and please show me where I might be off. :)  Thank you!

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #315 on: April 07, 2010, 05:49:45 AM »
Jesus' sacrifice, His blood, replaces those of lambs and rams. We are in the "anti-typical" day of Atonement. How is it we can reinstate the "typical" when it found its fulfillment in the "anti-typical"? It can't be done.

I cannot see how the Sabbath is drawn into this question. Before the fall of mankind there were many weekly Sabbaths void of sacrifices. How do you account for that? 

Tim2

« Reply #316 on: April 07, 2010, 06:30:31 AM »
I know it's hard to expand one's thinking beyond that which we have known for years, dear sister, but not all has been fulfilled -- not every type has reached it's anti-type.  That is the whole point I'm trying to make.  When you look at a 2300 day chart, you see Christ's death in the middle, but then there's more chart.  Why is there more chart?  Is that what we're asking? ;)  How come the chart didn't stop at his death?  The whole plan of redemption was prefigured in the sanctuary service -- it reaches it's complete fulfillment in the earth made new with the Feast of Tabernacles.  Then we will still be coming together to worship on new moons and holy days; just as the universe did before sin (and is probably still doing).  Our little world is temporal -- we need to expand our thinking to how eternity see's things. :)

“In like manner the types which relate to the second advent must be fulfilled at the
time pointed out in the symbolic service.” GC 399,400

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #317 on: April 08, 2010, 04:24:54 AM »
If the feast days in your mind, Brother  Tim are moral law, as the Feast Keepers teach, and they have not been nailed to the cross as the Bible says in Colossians, then you need to keep them as the Jews did, including the Passover.  None were keeping the Day of Atonement in 1844, nor did the church after 1844. New light? No, a new false teaching unsupported by Scripture. There is a broad line between the moral law and the ceremonial law.

As you can read in this thread, there are many "moral" laws in the statutes and judgments that are not recognized. These are binding and we are to adhere to them as the light comes. New light? Yes, but it is in harmony with Scripture and really is not new at all. The Jews understood and so do some today. The church will be seen as "legalistic" by some when we express the idea that we are to refrain from eating foods that are now "unclean" because the animals are sick. But this is "moral" law. When we plant our fruit trees, it is not ceremonial law to refrain from eating the fruit from the tree for five years. It is moral law. Being moral law, it is binding today. If it is law that you are looking for, then there is more to learn. With the knowledge comes responsibility. Let us begin with that which is easy to understand. To him that knoweth to do good and doeth it not, to him it is sin. When moral law is discovered, we are to walk in the light by the grace that God gives. As our understanding deepens we are to obey that truth also. And, we are to teach others who want to know.

The health message is just as binding as the ten commandments because it is an integral part of the moral law. When we see others harming themselves by eating foods that are not healthy, we are to pray for them, and when given an opportunity share with them the dangers of eating diseased food. This is moral. It is such a blessing to find those that are discovering these important truths. They are meant to be a blessing not only to the church, but to the world. Many dying from heart disease, diabetes, and cancer don't have to if they will walk in the light of Scripture.

Tim2

« Reply #318 on: April 08, 2010, 05:54:41 AM »
Good morning, friend.  I am seeing more clearly your definition of what you mean when you speak of "moral law" and "ceremonial law."   In order to clarify my thinking about your thinking :), let me ask you a couple questions.  I'm asking because I believe we might be thinking too narrowly of what is moral law as well as defining too broadly what is ceremonial. 

Would you define "moral law" as anything God asks us to do? -- and as you rightly point out, "the testimony (example and teaching) of Jesus, which is the spirit of prophecy is also moral law.   He also told us to watch and pray.  Right?  He told us that we can know when the time is near -- even at the door.  Yes?  He gave us signs in the sun, moon and stars, which if we ignore, we do so at our own peril.  I this moral law?  How would you best define the law of gravity or the law of perpetual motion?  Moral law?  Natural law?  What about natural consequences?  How about this one -- the law of reciprocal influence, where speaking and hearing our own words have an effect on and strengthen what we think.  Or this one, the law of mutual influence; those we associate with and listen to, influence and strengthen what we believe.  What is the reason we are counseled to "forsake not the gathering together as some do?"  Is this counsel moral law?  When God created the "appointed times" to get together (spiritually), what do you imagine He we thinking?

“The writings of Moses were taught by Joshua to all Israel... This was in harmony with the express command of Jehovah providing for a public rehearsal of the words of the book of the law every seven years, during the Feast of Tabernacles... Had this counsel been heeded through the centuries that followed, how different would have been Israel’s history. PK 465

As to ceremonial law -- “The ceremonial system was made up of symbols pointing to Christ, to His sacrifice and His priesthood. This ritual law, with its sacrifices and ordinances, was to be performed by the Hebrews until type met antitype in the death of Christ, the Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world. Then all the sacrificial offerings were to cease. It is this law that Christ ‘took...out of the way, nailing it to His cross.’” PP 365

“The Lord gave Moses definite instructions in regard to the ceremonial offerings which
were to cease at the death of Christ.
” ST 6/17/1880

I think these quotes exemplify what I want to bring to your attention.  Notice that the ceremonial system was made up of symbols pointing both to Christ's "sacrifice" and His "priesthood."  We agree that type met anti-type in Christ's death regarding his "sacrifice."  What about his priesthood -- was that nailed to the cross as well?  No.  We notice that only "the sacrificial offerings were to cease.  It is this law that Christ took our of the way, nailing it to His cross."

Physical Israel kept these appointed times to the letter, just as spiritual Israel is to keep these appointed times in "spirit and in truth."  If we keep ignoring these appointed times that God has given to show His timeline, we risk being asleep and without enough oil.  In fact, though we have stopped sacrificing animals, we are not to stop offering "spiritual sacrifices."

“Yes also, as lively stones, are built upon a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to
offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.” 1 Peter 2:5

To me this discussion about whether we should keep the feasts is a distraction -- what we should be asking ourselves is, what are the lessons God means for us to learn from these "appointed times?"

What do you believe, brother Richard, that the following quote means to us as a people?

“The significance of the Jewish economy is not yet fully comprehended. Truths vast
and profound are shadowed forth in its rites and symbols...” COL 133

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #319 on: April 08, 2010, 06:08:23 AM »
Good morning, Brother Tim.

What do you believe, brother Richard, that the following quote means to us as a people?

“The significance of the Jewish economy is not yet fully comprehended. Truths vast
and profound are shadowed forth in its rites and symbols...” COL 133

The ceremonial law of rites and symbols are types and shadows whose teachings are important to us today. We have much to learn from them. We do not perform these rites, but we are to study and learn from them. The Jews misunderstood the symbol of the lamb. Even the disciples of Christ failed to understand that He must die. How very sad. Such a deception. The church today needs to rightly understand the sanctuary and its services that we may not be deceived. What was taught by shadows is what we are living today. To know where Christ is and what the plan of salvation involves is a matter of spiritual life and death.

The system of types and shadows when rightly understood confirm what we see taught in the New Testament. It was the gospel in types and shadows. The Jews looked forward to the cross, we look back at it. They had shadows of the cross, we have the blazing glory of it.