Author Topic: Genesis 3:15  (Read 11455 times)

Laurie Mosher

• There is a place of quiet rest
Genesis 3:15
« on: March 08, 2006, 06:41:00 AM »
As SDA's, we use the quote of Genesis 3:15 as one of the first Promise of a Saviour.

To say that I just discovered that the same quote is used by the RCC as their answer to "Mary" as being more than the 2nd "Eve" really threw me for a loop.

The following is a comparison of this verse:
Gen 3:15

(American Standard V)  and I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed: he shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

(Bible Basic English)  And there will be war between you and the woman and between your seed and her seed: by him will your head be crushed and by you his foot will be wounded.

(Contemporary English Version)  You and this woman will hate each other; your descendants and hers will always be enemies. One of hers will strike you on the head, and you will strike him on the heel."

(Darby)  And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; he shall crush thy head, and thou shalt crush his heel.

(Douay-Rheims Bible Roman Catholic)  I will put enmities between thee and the woman, and thy seed and her seed: she shall crush thy head, and thou shalt lie in wait for her heel.

(Good News Bible)  I will make you and the woman hate each other; her offspring and yours will always be enemies. Her offspring will crush your head, and you will bite her offspring's heel."

(God's Word)  I will make you and the woman hostile toward each other. I will make your descendants and her descendant hostile toward each other. He will crush your head, and you will bruise his heel."

(KJV)  And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

(LITeral Translation Version)  And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her Seed; He will bruise your head, and you shall bruise His heel.

(Modern KJV)  And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her Seed; He will bruise your head, and you shall bruise His heel.

(World English Bible)  I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring. He will bruise your head, and you will bruise his heel."

(Webster)  And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed: it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

(Young's Literal Translation)  and enmity I put between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; he doth bruise thee--the head, and thou dost bruise him--the heel.'

Perhaps, herein lies the RCC's reasoning for accepting Mary as Intercessor, Advocate, Co-Mediatrix, Co-Redemptrix.

Their translation(DRB) is based on the Latin Vulgate.

I thought this revelation was very interesting.

------------------
"Keep "the" faith, BUT pass it around !    

Brother Laurie

[This message has been edited by Laurie Mosher (edited 03-09-2006).]

Keep "the" Faith,  Brother Laurie

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Genesis 3:15
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 08:37:00 AM »
Thanks, Brother Laurie. Never knew they had such a teaching. Amazing!! Human reasoning shall always fail us.  :) And, to allow any other being to be a Saviour for man is contrary to all of Scripture.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 06:08:19 PM »
This verse is one of the more important verses in the Bible. Anyone care to share what it means? Why the promise?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 07:56:01 PM »
Until Jesus implants some of His hatred for sin into me, which is always mingled with some of His love, I remain 100 % in harmony with the Devil, because the carnal ( unconverted ) mind refuses subjegation to God and His law in all it's functions, and has NO naturally occuring Agape, Agapous, Philio.

Genesis 3:15 is the beginning of the process of salvation, and the promise to claim when I run into sin that I want to otherwise keep, my desires overpowering my faith in the matter of removing or keeping cherished idols, so then I appeal to Jesus in that matter and claim His stated intentions as voiced in Genesis 3:15 and keep on claiming till I surrender the idol or decide to retain the idol.

It is part of the overcoming process.   Father God kept Jesus from sin in answer to full committed prayer and refusal to compromise their union, on Jesus's part.  Genesis 3:15 is the beginning of Biblically fearing God based upon loving God instead of fearing God out of terror like the ships captain and crew Jonah sailed with.
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 09:50:46 AM »
Yes, Brother Ed, when Adam sinned man was separated from God. There was no hope, there was no promise of anything, but death to Adam.  Why did not Adam die immediately? Because Christ stepped in between Adam and death. He was not given eternal life, but was granted a period of probationary life that he might be reconciled to God. The first intimation of this gift is found in Genesis 3:15. It is the gospel message. It is the promise of a provision that had been made that Adam and his children might be reconciled to God and to hate sin.

By transgression man was severed from God, the communion between God and man was broken. But Jesus Christ had consented to die upon the cross of Calvary, to bear in His body the sins of the whole world. God gives us a probation in which we may prove whether or not we will be loyal to Him. Christ calls upon us to lay our sins upon Him, the Sin-Bearer, that we may represent God. But if we refuse to let them go, taking the responsibility ourselves, we will be lost. We may fall upon Christ, the living stone, and be broken, but if that stone falls upon us, it will grind us to powder.  

In Genesis 3:15 we have Christ's promise, "He that loveth Me shall be loved of My Father, and I will love him, and will manifest Myself to him" He manifested Himself to John, who had been banished by his persecutors to the lonely isle of Patmos. But there He who rules the earth and keeps the waters in their appointed channel, manifested Himself to John. "I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ. I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet, saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last" Revelation 1:9-11: "the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty"

Christ manifested Himself to Peter, and delivered him from prison by the hand of an angel. He manifested himself to Stephen, and he, "being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up steadfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God, and said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God" Acts 7:55.

So Christ will manifest Himself to us if we are faithful. "For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 8:38.

Now is the time when we may prove whether we will obey the law of God, or whether we will transgress. When a sinner unloads his burden at the foot of the cross, then it is that peace and happiness comes to him. And there is joy in heaven over one sinner that repenteth more than over ninety and nine who need no repentance. "The Lord thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; He will save, He will rejoice over thee with joy; He will rest in His love, He will joy over thee with singing" Zephaniah 3:17.  

Do we realize our value in the sight of God? He says, "Ye are laborers together with Me." Are we letting our light shine in clear rays to a fallen world? Are we seeking to exercise every faculty and every power which God has given us? We may not stand in a pulpit, but we can be His witnesses. We may not be eloquent speakers, but we can be eloquent in living for Christ; we can be eloquent in letting our light shine before men. We will have to travel a rough path; we will have to meet with the powers of darkness; but we do not meet them alone, for God has given us His Son.

Christ Himself, the Majesty of heaven, leads the children of God against their enemies. Thousands of holy angels wait to help those who are seeking for immortality and eternal life. A crown of glory waits for all who fight the good fight of faith, and when the warfare is over they will be greeted with the words, "Blessed are they that do His commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city" Revelation 22:14. Then, casting their glittering crowns at the feet of Jesus, and touching their golden harps, the redeemed host will fill all heaven with rich music.

This is what Genesis 3:15 signifies, a promise of a Saviour who can reconcile sinful man to his Creator. It was the first promise of grace to guilty man that was under a sentence of death. 3:15 is a promise to put enmity into the heart of man if he would accept the promised redeemer, Jesus Christ, as Lord and Saviour. There is no enmity towards sin and Satan until the heart is renewed at conversion.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 05:54:26 AM »
That man can be anything other than a sinner before conversion is one of the great snares of Satan. Nicodemus had been thus deceived as are many in the church today.   "How can a man be born when he is old?" Like many others when cutting truth is brought home to the conscience, he revealed the fact that the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God. There is in him nothing that responds to spiritual things; for spiritual things are spiritually discerned.  

But the Saviour did not meet argument with argument. Raising His hand with solemn, quiet dignity, He pressed the truth home with greater assurance, "Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God." Nicodemus knew that Christ here referred to water baptism and the renewing of the heart by the Spirit of God. He was convinced that he was in the presence of the One whom John the Baptist had foretold.  

Jesus continued: "That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit." By nature the heart is evil, and "who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean? not one." Job 14:4. No human invention can find a remedy for the sinning soul. "The carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be." "Out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies." Romans 8:7; Matthew 15:19. The fountain of the heart must be purified before the streams can become pure. He who is trying to reach heaven by his own works in keeping the law is attempting an impossibility. There is no safety for one who has merely a legal religion, a form of godliness. The Christian's life is not a modification or improvement of the old, but a transformation of nature. There is a death to self and sin, and a new life altogether. This change can be brought about only by the effectual working of the Holy Spirit.  And, this reveals the second great snare of Satan, that the heart cannot be purified by God. This is a fatal deception which leaves the sinner dead in his trespasses and sins.How many promises of God have to be rejected to deny the power of Christ to cleanse the heart? Grace is a revelation of the love of God which has the power to cleanse us, to purify the heart until we are as white as snow.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
Until Jesus implants some of His hatred for sin into me, which is always mingled with some of His love, I remain 100 % in harmony with the Devil, because the carnal ( unconverted ) mind refuses subjegation to God and His law in all it's functions, and has NO naturally occuring Agape, Agapous, Philio.

Amen!!  What our brother has stated here is of the greatest importance. There are some who adamantly refuse to accept this. I know it sounds strange, but it is true. There are some who teach that God placed something good in man at 3:15. But, what Ed has stated is the Biblical truth. It is the everlasting covenant that was presented the very first time to sinful man. There was no hope until Jesus spoke those words in the hearing of Adam and Eve. There was no enmity towards Satan and and there was none when the promise was made. It was a conditional promise based upon Adam's acceptance of the Sacrifice to be made on his behalf and the same covenant is extended to all sinners. If we will make a full surrender to Christ, then we shall be given this enmity against Satan and sin. Until then the carnal mind is at enmity with God (Romans 8:7).

Peter L

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 07:18:21 PM »
Genesis 3:15 reveals what the battle in the OT is about. It reveals the promise of Christ and in the OT Satan tries to stop the promise being fulfilled. We have brothers trying to kill brothers and Israel wanting to go back to Egypt, nearly all of David's seed was killed and after the captivity of Babylon they had difficulty rebuilding.
Revelation 3:20
(20)  Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 07:29:14 PM »
Good to have you with us, dear brother! Yes, Peter you are so right. But, go a step further. There is more presented in Gen 3:15. It is the promise of God giving us "enmity" towards Satan that we do not naturally have. It comes when we allow Christ into the heart, when we make a full heartfelt surrender to Jesus.

Peter L

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 09:41:33 PM »
Yes the natural human heart does not want to keep God's Law
Romans 8:7
(7)  Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

The desire we to keep God's Law comes from the Holy Spirit, from being born again with new desires.

Proverbs 8:13
(13)  The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

Revelation 3:20
(20)  Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 07:36:18 AM »
Amen!!  This is the promise in Genesis 3:15. God will give us a new heart that hates sin and will have power to not sin.  It is the promise of a Saviour who will through the Holy Spirit come into our hearts, cleanse them, and fill us with the fruits of His Spirit. We may become partakers of His divine nature, no longer at enmity with God, but then at enmity with Satan and sin. Genesis 3:15 is the promise of the new birth or conversion, reconciliation with God through Jesus Christ.