Author Topic: On Being "Born Again"  (Read 113669 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: On Being "Born Again"
« Reply #320 on: March 29, 2009, 09:47:57 AM »
Jesus' teaching on the gospel is very simply, but Paul's was not. Inspired they both are, but Paul as Peter said has given us some things hard to understand. His teachings have been at the root of false gospels that thrive in the modern church. Not that Paul was wrong, but that because his teachings are not understood very well, it provides an avenue for error to flourish.

Paul was contending for the faith in a church filled with Jews, some of which were adamant about teaching that keeping the law of Moses would bring eternal life. They had crept into the new church anaware. Galations is a good example of this attitude that Paul had, but it is not the only book wherein he addresses this concern. It is throughout the New Testament where he authored so much. He battles those who had become entrenched in legalism. He himself had come out of this deception and he fought those who were ensnaring the new converts.

Many today, use his statements to abolish the law of God, to remove its binding authority in the life of Christians. Absurd, yes, but it is a fact. To rightly understand the hard texts that Paul has penned is our privilege. This is not a new issue in our church. It surfaced in 1888 and has not been resolved very well in the light of the rejection of the light then given

To those who understand the gospel, it is not of major significance, but for those deceived it has great importance.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #321 on: March 11, 2024, 07:19:14 AM »
After reading again Pastor Mike's and my posts, I am so thankful for the patience revealed in our brother's posts. Sadly few have such a kind spirit when meeting with opposition to their beliefs.

Many years have passed since this discussion on the foundation of our faith. My understanding of the plan of salvation has not changed, but it surely has deepened. I would like to add a few thoughts that might make it easier for others to understand the simplicity of the plan given to us in Scripture.

Who will enter heaven? Those who love the truth above all  else and love the Lord our God with all of the heart. There is no half way for eternal life. It is all or nothing.

Then the question must be asked and answered correctly. There will be many answers, but there is only one correct answer. The all important question is "what must I do to  be saved?"  If we do nothing, we will not be saved, else all would be saved.  Our part is immeasurably small, and God's part is immeasurably large. Without our part we will be lost.   What is our part? To love God supremely,  to keep His commandments, to not sin. Yes, these are part of the many answers we hear. But, we cannot do these things until we do something else. Until we love the Lord our God  with the whole heart, we can do no good thing because we are evil by nature.  We are born selfish and whatever we do will be contaminated by our selfishness. Yes, we can do much that is good, but because we are selfish by nature, it is not the goodness God requires for salvation. He wants the whole heart cleansed from sin.  He wants all we have and all we are. The rich young ruler understood this, and walked away sad.

Do we trust God with all we have and all we are? Do we love Him supremely? When we sin a known sin, we do not. Then again, I ask what must I do in order to have this love, this trust? How do we trust anyone? We do not trust those we do not know. How can you know another? Yes, spend time with them. Are we willing to give up our time to study the character of our God? Most will not. They consider time, money and will not give it up. Others don't care about money, but have other plans that involve the things of this world. Just yesterday I saw a young man purposely choose his television over the Bible. He thought he could have both, but knew the power of the television to keep him from Bible study. I pray he will change his mind before it is too late.

What does Scripture tell us to do? What did Jesus tell His disciples they  must do that they would know, love, and trust Him? You can answer this most important question if you have cherished the truth found in the gospels. He said "you must drink my blood and eat my flesh." "Man does not live by bread alone, but by every Word that proceeds out of the mouth of God." "Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God." The Word is a revelation of God. Yes, it would be very good if we spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating the life of our Savior, especially the closing scenes. Why the closing scenes? Because the Bible says we are saved by grace. What is grace? It is the unmerited love of God for us while we were yet sinners. And, nothing reveals this grace more than Jesus' bleeding back when He hung in the cross. Those stripes belonged to you and me. You want to love God supremely, then learn of Him, behold Him....as Nicodemus beheld Him on the cross. The Bible tells us what happens when we behold His character, we are transformed in character, in nature. "We all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord." 2 Cor. 3:18.

Yes, the answer to that all important question is seen clearly in this verse. If you want to love the Lord our God with the whole heart, then behold His glory which is His character of grace. If we do this daily, then like the Apostle Paul said, we will die daily and be able to keep the body under, lest we become castaways. This will insure your faith will be as the faith of Jesus and will enable you to keep the commandments of God.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

rahab

« Reply #322 on: March 11, 2024, 06:08:50 PM »
Amen