Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--49--At the Feast of Tabernacles  (Read 15330 times)

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--49--At the Feast of Tabernacles
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 10:07:29 AM »
"Jesus knew the wants of the soul. Pomp, riches, and honor cannot satisfy the heart. "If any man thirst, let him come unto Me." The rich, the poor, the high, the low, are alike welcome. He promises to relieve the burdened mind, to comfort the sorrowing, and to give hope to the despondent. Many of those who heard Jesus were mourners over disappointed hopes, many were nourishing a secret grief, many were seeking to satisfy their restless longing with the things of the world and the praise of men; but when all was gained, they found that they had toiled only to reach a broken cistern, from which they could not quench their thirst. Amid the glitter of the joyous scene they stood, dissatisfied and sad. That sudden cry, "If any man thirst," startled them from their sorrowful meditation, and as they listened to the words that followed, their minds kindled with a new hope. The Holy Spirit presented the symbol before them until they saw in it the offer of the priceless gift of salvation.

The cry of Christ to the thirsty soul is still going forth, and it appeals to us with even greater power than to those who heard it in the temple on that last day of the feast. The fountain is open for all. The weary and exhausted ones are offered the refreshing draught of eternal life. Jesus is still crying, "If any man thirst, let him come unto Me, and drink." "Let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely." "Whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life." [/size]Revelation 22:17; John 4:14.[/size]
[/size]
[/size]I have known the hungering of the soul and have looked in all the wrong places to be filled with joy, peace and happiness that I longed for. Praise God He did not leave me in that condition but brought me to a place where in spiritual exhaustion I turned to Him for the answers.  [/size]I look about me and recognize so many dear ones running restlessly about looking for something to satisfy their needs. Jesus is the ONLY answer. What the world holds out to us is artificial and not lasting.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Dorine

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2018, 10:19:51 AM »
Pastor Sean the Holy Spirit has given you insight through this experience that strengthens my walk with God today. Thank you.
Jim similar thoughts were in my mind this morning as I read this chapter. It reminded me of how important it is for us to be spending quality time in prayer and God's word.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2018, 12:44:53 PM »
Amen Sister Dorine. As we spend that thoughtful hour with Jesus, we will be prepared for the trials that come. And, we shall have great trials. As we abide in Christ, they will not only glorify God, and prepare us for even greater trials, they will give us an experience such as Pastor Sean has shared, which enable us to comfort those who are going through similar trials.  As Jim shared about being brought before rulers, it reminded me of the time when I was standing before judges daily, knowing I was there as His witness. It encouraged me to know there was a reason and good to come from my great trial.

This week I am able to comfort another who is going through a similar situation where unjust judges are opposed to God and His truth. The time will soon come when what they have done will be plainly put before their eyes. We need that time each day to feed upon God's grace that we shall not fail as did Elijah when he was given an opportunity to be God's witness as he was being threatened by Jezebel.

It was in the time of greatest weakness that Christ was assailed by the fiercest temptations. Thus Satan thought to prevail. By this policy he had gained the victory over men. When strength failed, and the will power weakened, and faith ceased to repose in God, then those who had stood long and valiantly for the right were overcome. Moses was wearied with the forty years’ wandering of Israel, when for the moment his faith let go its hold upon infinite power. He failed just upon the borders of the Promised Land. So with Elijah, who had stood undaunted before King Ahab, who had faced the whole nation of Israel, with the four hundred and fifty prophets of Baal at their head. After that terrible day upon Carmel, when the false prophets had been slain, and the people had declared their allegiance to God, Elijah fled for his life before the threats of the idolatrous Jezebel. DA 120.

Our trials are to be God's witness to a world soon to perish. Even if we never open our mouths, the countenance and our joy will be seen amid the storms of this world. The greater the darkness, the greater the glory appears. The anti-typical Feast of Tabernacles is just in front of us since we know these last steps will be rapid ones. Now that Protestant America has reached across the abyss to join hands with Papal Rome, the end is very near. The rite performed on the typical day wherein the water and the wine were mingled together was not just a celebration of God bringing forth water in the wilderness wandering, but an object lesson of what God is wanted to do for Israel and is now doing for His children today. And, as Israel praised God as a matter of tradition, we will praise God for His cleansing grace.

This display of the consecrated water represented the fountain that at the command of God had gushed from the rock to quench the thirst of the children of Israel. Then the jubilant strains rang forth, "The Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song;" "therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation." Isaiah 12:2, 3.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2018, 06:11:56 AM »
I love spending time with Jesus. "Spending" is an interesting word. We "spend" time doing what is important to us--or what we think we have to do. So many of us feel the external pressure of our families, our work, or even our own ambitious goals that we never really have learned to slow down and "buy" of Him the gold tried in the fire (Revelation 3:18) which gives us a new heart and mind. How do we "buy" from Jesus? The same way any of us buy things--with time. You might say, "No--the salvation is free--it doesn't cost anything." True. But there is more. Salvation cost Christ His very life--He died for you and me. Christ died and gave up His omnipresence so He could be our Brother. Amazing. Incomprehensible love. But let's use a marriage illustration. If you expect to ever get married, do you think it is going to take time to get to know that person? I hope you would say "yes," because many people want instant intimacy with no marital commitment, and the world is in shambles morally for how this is destroying people's capacity to love. But Jesus wants us to follow the dignity of a courtship that precedes marriage--and I am speaking of Him with the church. He wants us to "spend" the time needed to truly get to know Him so that when we come to church, we come to prayer meeting, or we come to a Bible study, our joy and experience there is simply the outflow of an inwrought intimacy that has been gained through hours spent in communion with God. Jesus had this experience; His experience is to be ours.

God brought a verse to my mind this morning: Galatians 2:20 "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." What was clearly brought to my mind as the Lord woke me up at 4am today was the power of the gospel. He taught me that the very life of Christ is to be lived in me--my very thoughts, motives, and purposes are to be the expression of His life wrought out in me--by His death to my old fallen nature and His resurrection life (the divine nature!). And it is only this experience that can effectually set us free from the power of sin. We are all wired for intimacy. But sin short-circuits us, and promises a present reward that never truly satisfies. Its wages (time spent in sin) is death. The gift of God is eternal life. But that gift takes time to appreciate and enjoy.

If I give you a flower garden (and God has given us a flower garden in His word full of promises that are profuse with blessings), I show whether I appreciate that gift by spending time in that garden and enjoying the sweet fragrance of the flowers (aka the promises of God that reveal the loveliness of Jesus from Genesis to Revelation). When we realize the inestimable privilege we have in getting to spend a "thoughtful hour" beholding the life of Christ and His loveliness of character feature by feature, we will realize that the greatest investment we can make for time and for eternity is to slow down and be with Jesus. Sit at His feet; soak up the living water that will satisfy your soul. Jesus offers us His grace today. It is powerful. Hear it in the words of John:

37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

Let us come and "spend" time with Jesus so we can drink this living water, the grace of Christ that renews the soul and purifies our thoughts and feelings to be in harmony with His law of love, the law that is enshrined in the heart of Christ (Psalm 40:8). It really isn't hard to spend time with Someone you love, is it?
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2018, 06:21:15 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean. We cannot trust Jesus with all we have and all we are if we do not really know Him and love Him. Satan is ever working to keep us away from spending a thoughtful hour with Jesus. The truth sits before us (Seventh-day Adventists), but is it appreciated? Is it understood that it is by beholding His grace that we are converted daily, saved?

Many think they are fine just as they are, when they do not love Jesus supremely with the whole heart. They have been taught that the converted Christian does what he ought not, and does not do what he ought to do. Therefore, they believe they are rich and increased with goods and in need of nothing more. They do not see their continual need of Jesus in order to be saved.

Jesus longs to give to us the grace that saves.

"If any man thirst, let him come unto Me, and drink. He that believeth on Me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water." The condition of the people made this appeal very forcible. They had been engaged in a continued scene of pomp and festivity, their eyes had been dazzled with light and color, and their ears regaled with the richest music; but there had been nothing in all this round of ceremonies to meet the wants of the spirit, nothing to satisfy the thirst of the soul for that which perishes not. Jesus invited them to come and drink of the fountain of life, of that which would be in them a well of water, springing up unto everlasting life.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2018, 08:49:40 AM »
We need more pastors like Pastor Sean. Our people are floundering for want of knowledge and dedicated leaders. This is not to flatter Pastor Sean but to encourage him in his personal relationship with Jesus. Our people need this. The church is only as strong as it's leadership but praise God He is working on the hearts of individual lay people to come up to higher ground and share their testimony of being filled with that living water that Jesus offers those that answer His call to "come unto Me and drink." We need to do all we can to support our Pastors and leaders to not sacrifice integrity to pride or fear.

"The cry of Christ to the thirsty soul is still going forth, and it appeals to us with even greater power than to those who heard it in the temple on that last day of the feast. The fountain is open for all. The weary and exhausted ones are offered the refreshing draught of eternal life."

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2018, 02:58:30 AM »
You and I daily need some full-time "Jesus time"--a time when everything else in our lives is forgotten as we gaze into His exceedingly beautiful, holy character, as we grasp the scenes of His life that culminate at Calvary's cross, and as we allow His love to ravish our hearts. May we experience the transformation of character that is only possible by beholding the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ today!

After reading John 7:1-15 along with verses 37-39 in conjunction with "At the Feast of Tabernacles," Chapter 49 of The Desire of Ages, I was moved by this meditation:

"As Jesus spoke in the temple court, the people were held spellbound. The very men who were the most violent against Him felt themselves powerless to do Him harm. For the time, all other interests were forgotten." {The Desire of Ages, page 453, paragraph 2}

The rest of soul that Christ alone can provide as we yield our will to Him fully thus allows Him to captivate our senses with the loveliness of His character, so that the things that often clamor for our attention need never divert our mind's eye from Him. He promises to keep us in "perfect peace" (Isaiah 26:3) as we cooperate with His working by the Holy Spirit to keep our minds stayed on Him. In such union and communion is found the highest delight and development possible to humanity. To neglect this is to miss out on what life is all about--knowing God in Christ by the Holy Spirit who comes to live in us and fills us with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing, producing the miracle of heart-felt obedience to all we know of God because we love Him who first loved us! 
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2018, 10:08:42 AM »
"The cry of Christ to the thirsty soul is still going forth, and it appeals to us with even greater power than to those who heard it in the temple on that last day of the feast. The fountain is open for all. The weary and exhausted ones are offered the refreshing draught of eternal life. Jesus is still crying, "If any man thirst, let him come unto Me, and drink." "Let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely." "Whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life." Revelation 22:17; John 4:14."

How the heart of Christ must ache when we refuse to accept His invitation. He knows the peace and happiness that only He can give. Christ does not keep us from trials and temptations but He does promise to see us through them. And through it all we can have joy and peace that the world knows nothing about. They may think they do but they have nothing to compare it with so how could they know. What I find so sad today is that so many within the church are experiencing a false security where they think they can sin and still be safe. It's contagious because it is spreading very quickly.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2018, 06:16:17 PM »
Yes, dear Sister, it is sad that so many within reach of this "living Water" do not drink of it. But, there will be many soon who will do so! I love this chapter! Jesus reaches the heart with His Words. The people are like dead, dead, dry, very dry bones. He offers them something that refreshes them.

Jesus knew the wants of the soul. Pomp, riches, and honor cannot satisfy the heart. "If any man thirst, let him come unto Me." The rich, the poor, the high, the low, are alike welcome. He promises to relieve the burdened mind, to comfort the sorrowing, and to give hope to the despondent. Many of those who heard Jesus were mourners over disappointed hopes, many were nourishing a secret grief, many were seeking to satisfy their restless longing with the things of the world and the praise of men; but when all was gained, they found that they had toiled only to reach a broken cistern, from which they could not quench their thirst. Amid the glitter of the joyous scene they stood, dissatisfied and sad. That sudden cry, "If any man thirst," startled them from their sorrowful meditation, and as they listened to the words that followed, their minds kindled with a new hope. The Holy Spirit presented the symbol before them until they saw in it the offer of the priceless gift of salvation.

The priests and people were moved by His Words. So it is today. Many will drink of this "living Water" and be satisfied! We may have this Water and give it to others if we will come to Him just as we are and drink of this pure fountain of Truth!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2018, 03:48:00 AM »
Have you had disappointed hopes? Jesus understands the depths of our souls, and He promises to satisfy us. He will more than abundantly heal the soul and provide what we need. He is the Living Water, and from Him comes every good and perfect gift--in His perfect time and way!

"Jesus knew the wants of the soul. Pomp, riches, and honor cannot satisfy the heart. 'If any man thirst, let him come unto Me.' The rich, the poor, the high, the low, are alike welcome. He promises to relieve the burdened mind, to comfort the sorrowing, and to give hope to the despondent. Many of those who heard Jesus were mourners over disappointed hopes, many were nourishing a secret grief, many were seeking to satisfy their restless longing with the things of the world and the praise of men; but when all was gained, they found that they had toiled only to reach a broken cistern, from which they could not quench their thirst. Amid the glitter of the joyous scene they stood, dissatisfied and sad. That sudden cry, 'If any man thirst,' startled them from their sorrowful meditation, and as they listened to the words that followed, their minds kindled with a new hope. The Holy Spirit presented the symbol before them until they saw in it the offer of the priceless gift of salvation." {The Desire of Ages, page 454, paragraph 2}

I choose to drink of the Living Water--the priceless gift of salvation. The evidence that we are drinking of His grace is that the Holy Spirit comes to live in us, and He manifests His presence by shedding forth the light of the divine nature, whereby all of the fruits of the Sprit are seen in our lives without one missing. This is my greatest joy each day. Will you join me in becoming a fountain of blessing by having Christ live in you?

Dorine

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2018, 07:21:07 AM »
It was God's design that these anniversaries should call Him to the minds of the people. But with few exceptions, the priests and leaders of the nation had lost sight of this purpose. He who had ordained these national assemblies and understood their significance witnessed their perversion. 

Is it any different today? Is it possible to get so caught up in the formalities that we forget the One who instituted them? Christ's offer to quench the thirst and hungering of our souls is as real today as when He was here on earth. By God's grace, I will never trade the peace and joy that I have in Jesus with any earthly offer for it is only momentary and leaves you dissatisfied and empty.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2018, 10:05:09 AM »
Amen, dear Sister.  The perversion of the truth is just as great today. What truth? The peace and joy that comes from knowing God. Knowing the truth about prophecy is exciting, but it is not the same as the joy of having a living personal relationship with Jesus. The Laodicean condition blinds man to the love of God and makes man believe he has salvation when he does not. Satan continues to keep many dead in trespasses and sins. God gave us the Sabbath that we might reflect on His goodness and mercy, but many do not do this on the Sabbath Day.

The Feast of Tabernacles was the closing gathering of the year. It was God's design that at this time the people should reflect on His goodness and mercy.

Before we can rejoice in His goodness and mercy, we must know of His mercy. What is His mercy? It is the forgiveness of our sins. But, if we have not repented of our sins, how can show mercy to us? He continues to give us temporal life until we see our continual need of Him and His forgiveness. Before the Feast of Tabernacles was the Day of Atonement. How do we look at the anti-typical Day of Atonement? As did the Jews? No, many do not understand what it means when our name comes up in the Investigative Judgment. Many believe God is being judged not ourselves. What a deception!

A little before the feast was the Day of Atonement, when, after confession of their sins, the people were declared to be at peace with Heaven. Thus the way was prepared for the rejoicing of the feast. "O give thanks unto the Lord; for He is good: for His mercy endureth forever" (Psalm 106:1) rose triumphantly, while all kinds of music, mingled with shouts of hosanna, accompanied the united singing.

We do not have salvation until we confess our sins and have been brought to repentance. It is the grace of God that leads us to this repentance. We see this when we behold Him who took the stripes we deserve upon Himself.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2019, 02:50:55 AM »
Satan thought that by putting Christ to death, it would destroy Him. But Christ's death was the means of destroying Satan's deceptive hold on the universe's conception of God, and the means by which living water would flow to souls in need of a healing draft of a revelation of the loveliness of Jesus' character which has power to transform us into His image! We also, through Christ, can learn and understand that the very wounds Satan has perpetrated against us are to be agencies whereby the healing streams of living water will flow to others. The attacks the devil waged against my mind in the excruciating suffering of losing my dad, my mom, and then going through extreme mental anguish about my salvation, identity, and sanity were all graciously allowed by God to give me a testimony of God's grace to give hope to heal others who are wounded and bruised by Satan, but who do not yet see the blessing in how God has promised to work all things together for good to them that love Him. I see that many of those whom Satan has most bruised and battered are enabled by the grace of God to become the most closely united with Christ in selfless ministry because they feel their need of Jesus continually. So let Jesus use your wounds and bruises that He heals to let flow His living water through His story wrought out in your life. I am SO ENCOURAGED this Sabbath morning, because Jesus has me on a path to share what His grace has done, and it keeps getting sweeter and more beautiful because I realize that God never wastes our pain, and He has a healing story to write through our lives that will help many more heavenward. We get to share what God's grace has done, in changing our stony hearts of unbelief to new hearts filled with His faith that works by love, filling us with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing, because the blood of Jesus cleanses us from all sin and we have holy boldness to share the everlasting gospel!

"The priest had that morning performed the ceremony which commemorated the smiting of the rock in the wilderness. That rock was a symbol of Him who by His death would cause living streams of salvation to flow to all who are athirst. Christ's words were the water of life. There in the presence of the assembled multitude He set Himself apart to be smitten, that the water of life might flow to the world. In smiting Christ, Satan thought to destroy the Prince of life; but from the smitten rock there flowed living water. As Jesus thus spoke to the people, their hearts thrilled with a strange awe, and many were ready to exclaim, with the woman of Samaria, 'Give me this water, that I thirst not.' John 4:15." {The Desire of Ages, page 454, paragraph 1}

Satan thought that in smiting your life he would destroy you. That was his plan for me. But God has better and bigger plans, and He will so abundantly glorify His name through your experience as you learn of Him and surrender fully to Him moment-by-moment that you will realize you would not have chosen for things to be any other way, because God Himself is leading you heavenward every day!! Hallelujah!!!!!!

Beacon

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2019, 05:31:43 AM »
     ]esus knew the wants of the soul. Pomp, riches, and honor cannot satisfy the heart. "If any man thirst, let him come unto Me." The rich, the poor, the high, the low, are alike welcome. He promises to relieve the burdened mind, to comfort the sorrowing, and to give hope to the despondent[/color]. [/b]

Many of those who heard Jesus were mourners over disappointed hopes, many were nourishing a secret grief, many were seeking to satisfy their restless longing with the things of the world and the praise of men; but when all was gained, they found that they had toiled only to reach a broken cistern, from which they could not quench their thirst. Amid the glitter of the joyous scene they stood, dissatisfied and sad[/b]. That sudden cry, "If any man thirst," startled them from their sorrowful meditation, and as they listened to the words that followed, their minds kindled with a new hope. The Holy Spirit presented the symbol before them until they saw in it the offer of the priceless gift of salvation.

This reminds me of this text of scripture found in "Isaiah 53:6All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.  How often when we are not spending enough time with Jesus on a daily basis we drift away from the source of power. We tend to think that we can sustain our walk with God through our own wisdom. But we find out after traveling that road for awhile that we have actually cut ourselves off from the source of all power and wisdom, we are running on empty and then wonder why we crash spiritually. But there is good news...[/b]

The cry of Christ to the thirsty soul is still going forth, and it appeals to us with even greater power than to those who heard it in the temple on that last day of the feast. The fountain is open for all. The weary and exhausted ones are offered the refreshing draught of eternal life. Jesus is still crying, "If any man thirst, let him come unto Me, and drink." "Let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely." "Whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.[/color]"Revelation 22:17; John 4:14.
Look up and listen for the shout.

Dorine

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2019, 06:46:33 AM »
Amen Beacon and Pastor Sean. It is so easy to drift from the shelter of God's love and mercy but I'm so thankful that He does not treat us as we deserve. When we realize our condition Christ is ever ready to satisfy the empty, longings of our heart. But we must answer His call to come. 

"If any man thirst, let him come unto Me, and drink. He that believeth on Me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water." The condition of the people made this appeal very forcible. They had been engaged in a continued scene of pomp and festivity, their eyes had been dazzled with light and color, and their ears regaled with the richest music; but there had been nothing in all this round of ceremonies to meet the wants of the spirit, nothing to satisfy the thirst of the soul for that which perishes not. Jesus invited them to come and drink of the fountain of life, of that which would be in them a well of water, springing up unto everlasting life."

He extends the same offer today to anyone who desires something better. He does not push Himself on anyone. Although His offer of salvation is to ALL it is conditional. He is looking for those who accept Him as their personal Saviour and are willing to live as He lived while on this earth. He promises to be with us and change us into His image as we behold Him. To behold Him is to spend time in study of His life through the biblical account and the additional light given through the SOP. It will change your life as it is changing mine.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2019, 07:38:34 AM »
Amen, amen, and amen!!  The things of this world do not bring happiness, love, joy, or peace. Many are exhausted from trying to do that which will in the end prove to be a failure. But, Jesus offers us love, joy, and peace not only in this world, but in a world to come where there is no illness, tears, or death. Imagine a life with Jesus that never ends!!

Jesus is today in the heavenly sanctuary attempting to put and end to sin, suffering, and death. And, He is not only judging those who profess to serve Him, He is preparing (cleansing) a people so He can come and get us. "And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I [am] the LORD, saith the Lord GOD, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes...Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you." Some do not believe this because they have never drunk from the fountain this clean water. In today's reading we better understand what this clean water is. As Pastor Sean, Beacon, and Dorine have so seen, it is the "living water" that Christ offers to all who thirst. It is that same water that the woman at the well drank of that caused her to leave her water pot behind so that she could share that living water with her friends. It is the well of water that will spring up in all who will learn of Jesus and give to Him the whole heart. And, with the water comes everlasting life. What an offer Jesus makes for all who will come unto Him.

Beacon

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2019, 08:44:38 PM »
"[b]Jesus knew the wants of the soul. Pomp, riches, and honor cannot satisfy the heart. "If any man thirst, let him come unto Me." The rich, the poor, the high, the low, are alike welcome. [/b]He promises to relieve the burdened mind, to comfort the sorrowing, and to give hope to the despondent[/b].[/b] Amid the glitter of the joyous scene they stood, dissatisfied and sad. That sudden cry, "If any man thirst," startled them from their sorrowful meditation, and as they listened to the words that followed, their minds kindled with a new hope. The Holy Spirit presented the symbol before them until they saw in it the offer of the priceless gift of salvation."

How thankful we should be for the priceless gift of the Holy Spirit. Jesus is just as anxious for us today to slow down and listen to His awesome invitation. If we are willing we also can hear the yearning voice of Jesus pleading with us as He did at the temple in Jerusalem. " Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel." Ezekiel 33:11 The message sent from His yearning heart to His children has always been the same throughout history. Most of His own people rejected His invitation to come drink of the water of life.

Today I would like to extend that invitation once again to each of you, to come as you are, to the true source eternal life, and be cleansed from sin through His great sacrifice for us on the Cross of Calvary. The choice is yours -- what will it be?

The cry of Christ to the thirsty soul is still going forth, and it appeals to us with even greater power than to those who heard it in the temple on that last day of the feast. The fountain is open for all. The weary and exhausted ones are offered the refreshing draught of eternal life. Jesus is still crying, "If any man thirst, let him come unto Me, and drink." "Let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely." "Whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life." Revelation 22:17; John 4:14
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2019, 06:44:34 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!!

Repentance, a gift from God in Christ, is something that Jesus actively seeks to give us and to cause us to see and experience our need for it so we may be changed by His grace. Grace causes us to see His goodness, in contrast with our sinfulness, and just as we are we may come to Him and surrender the whole heart to Him so He may purify our hearts by His atoning blood and imbue us with all of the fruits of the Spirit so not one is missing. Jesus did not want to miss even one opportunity to give those He loved the offer of repentance. May we go and do likewise, making the service of Christ attractive as it really is, so souls are drawn to Jesus who alone can make us happy, satisfied, and able to grow and do His will!

"Standing thus, the center of attraction to that vast throng, Jesus addressed them as no man had ever done. His words showed a knowledge of the laws and institutions of Israel, of the sacrificial service and the teachings of the prophets, far exceeding that of the priests and rabbis. He broke through the barriers of formalism and tradition. The scenes of the future life seemed outspread before Him. As one who beheld the Unseen, He spoke of the earthly and the heavenly, the human and the divine, with positive authority. His words were most clear and convincing; and again, as at Capernaum, the people were astonished at His teaching; 'for His word was with power.' Luke 4:32. Under a variety of representations He warned His hearers of the calamity that would follow all who rejected the blessings He came to bring them. He had given them every possible proof that He came forth from God, and made every possible effort to bring them to repentance. He would not be rejected and murdered by His own nation if He could save them from the guilt of such a deed." {The Desire of Ages, page 452, paragraph 3}

Jesus really did all He could to bring His people to repentance. He is doing all He can to bring you and me to repentance. Repent? Yes! In any way in which we are not fully like Jesus (for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God), the Holy Spirit graciously convicts and comforts us to bring our struggles, temptations, defects of character and trials to the One who alone can deliver and can make us like Him in mind and character. Self-surrender is the highest sense of freedom in the kingdom of God!

Dorine

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2019, 08:58:03 AM »
  "The priest had that morning performed the ceremony which commemorated the smiting of the rock in the wilderness. That rock was a symbol of Him who by His death would cause living streams of salvation to flow to all who are athirst. Christ's words were the water of life. There in the presence of the assembled multitude He set Himself apart to be smitten, that the water of life might flow to the world. "

Each new day as we come into the presence of Jesus thirsting for this water of life, we are renewed and satisfied by the Holy Spirit. We are ready to move through this day with joy and peace for the salvation He brings to us, and eager to share with others what He has done for us and is yearning to do for them.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2019, 10:21:44 PM »
Amen dear Sister Dorine! What a blessing to understand His love for us and to be able to share that understanding with others who are seeking truth!

Standing thus, the center of attraction to that vast throng, Jesus addressed them as no man had ever done. His words showed a knowledge of the laws and institutions of Israel, of the sacrificial service and the teachings of the prophets, far exceeding that of the priests and rabbis. He broke through the barriers of formalism and tradition. The scenes of the future life seemed outspread before Him. As one who beheld the Unseen, He spoke of the earthly and the heavenly, the human and the divine, with positive authority. His words were most clear and convincing; and again, as at Capernaum, the people were astonished at His teaching; "for His word was with power." Luke 4:32. Under a variety of representations He warned His hearers of the calamity that would follow all who rejected the blessings He came to bring them. He had given them every possible proof that He came forth from God, and made every possible effort to bring them to repentance. He would not be rejected and murdered by His own nation if He could save them from the guilt of such a deed. 

Jesus did not just love the people, He warned them also of the trouble that would come to them if they rejected His love. So it is today. Jesus loves us and blesses us, but He also warns us of what is so very soon to come to all who reject the truth. And, He may ask you or me to do both.