Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--49--At the Feast of Tabernacles  (Read 15023 times)

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--49--At the Feast of Tabernacles
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2021, 05:57:13 AM »
......"Many of those who heard Jesus were mourners over disappointed hopes, many were nourishing a secret grief, many were seeking to satisfy their restless longing with the things of the world and the praise of men; but when all was gained, they found that they had toiled only to reach a broken cistern, from which they could not quench their thirst. Amid the glitter of the joyous scene they stood, dissatisfied and sad. That sudden cry, "If any man thirst," startled them from their sorrowful meditation, and as they listened to the words that followed, their minds kindled with a new hope. The Holy Spirit presented the symbol before them until they saw in it the offer of the priceless gift of salvation."

Does your soul thirst for peace and contentment? Many today are experiencing this deep longing for happiness just as they did in Jesus' day. Jesus has shown me the way to lasting peace and happiness. I want no part of the old me that was searching for happiness in things or people. It left me empty and unsatisfied. Over and over Christ offers the invitation to come to Him in full surrender that He may quench that thirst and give us the complete solution to happiness; love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, temperance will be ours that we may reflect Jesus and go forth into a lost world to lead others to the same water of salvation.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2022, 08:15:56 PM »
"The Lord Jesus seeks the co-operation of those who will become unobstructed channels for the communication of His grace."

"The first thing to be learned by all who would become workers together with God is the lesson of self-distrust."

"Then they are prepared to have imparted to them the character of Christ."

"This is not to be gained through education in the most scientific schools."

"It is the fruit of wisdom that is obtained from the divine Teacher alone. "

Are we willing to take time to be Holy? No Deposit No Return is a true saying in ALL aspects of our lives!

"Break Thou the Bread of Life,
  Dear Lord, to me,
As Thou didst break the loaves
  Beside the sea;
Beyond the sacred page
  I seek Thee, Lord;
My spirit pants for Thee,
  O Living Word.
Thou art the Bread of Life,
  O Lord, to me,
Thy holy Word the truth
  That saveth me;
Give me to eat and live
  With Thee above;
Teach me to love Thy truth,
  For Thou art Love.
Oh, send Thy Spirit, Lord,
  Now unto me,
That He may touch my eyes,
  And make me see;
Show me the truth concealed
  Within Thy Word,
And in Thy Book revealed
  I see the Lord.
Bless Thou the truth, dear Lord,
  To me, to me,
As Thou didst bless the bread
  By Galilee;
Then shall all bondage cease,
  All fetters fall,
And I shall find my peace,
  My All in all."

Lyrics:Mary Artemesia Lathbury (1841-1913)
Music:William Fiske Sherwin (1826-1888)
Look up and listen for the shout.

Dorine

« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2022, 05:32:56 AM »
"The cry of Christ to the thirsty soul is still going forth, and it appeals to us with even greater power than to those who heard it in the temple on that last day of the feast. The fountain is open for all. The weary and exhausted ones are offered the refreshing draught of eternal life. Jesus is still crying, "If any man thirst, let him come unto Me, and drink." "Let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely." "Whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life." Revelation 22:17; John 4:14.

These words always bring peace to my heart. Many want it but do not have the desire to surrender self in order to receive this living water. They allow the power of the evil one to cloud their minds and calm their conscience but Jesus continues to plead with the lost that they too may have Him in their hearts and know the joy of His salvation.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2022, 08:25:45 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!!

May we every open our whole heart to Jesus so He can satisfy us. As we behold His infinite loveliness and surrender the whole heart to Him to purify, He will empower us to affectionately obey Him and simultaneously manifest through us all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing!

"Jesus knew the wants of the soul. Pomp, riches, and honor cannot satisfy the heart. 'If any man thirst, let him come unto Me.' The rich, the poor, the high, the low, are alike welcome. He promises to relieve the burdened mind, to comfort the sorrowing, and to give hope to the despondent. Many of those who heard Jesus were mourners over disappointed hopes, many were nourishing a secret grief, many were seeking to satisfy their restless longing with the things of the world and the praise of men; but when all was gained, they found that they had toiled only to reach a broken cistern, from which they could not quench their thirst. Amid the glitter of the joyous scene they stood, dissatisfied and sad. That sudden cry, 'If any man thirst,' startled them from their sorrowful meditation, and as they listened to the words that followed, their minds kindled with a new hope. The Holy Spirit presented the symbol before them until they saw in it the offer of the priceless gift of salvation." {The Desire of Ages, page 454, paragraph 2}

Only Christ by His Holy Spirit, filling our hearts and minds with His loving words, can truly satisfy! Let us turn to Christ to truly satisfy us in every way! Jesus is coming again, and all the trials of life will be as nothingness in comparison to being in His presence forever!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Philip T

« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2022, 08:58:47 AM »
The priest had that morning performed the ceremony which commemorated the smiting of the rock in the wilderness. That rock was a symbol of Him who by His death would cause living streams of salvation to flow to all who are athirst. Christ's words were the water of life. There in the presence of the assembled multitude He set Himself apart to be smitten, that the water of life might flow to the world. In smiting Christ, Satan thought to destroy the Prince of life; but from the smitten rock there flowed living water. As Jesus thus spoke to the people, their hearts thrilled with a strange awe, and many were ready to exclaim, with the woman of Samaria, "Give me this water, that I thirst not." John 4:15.

How ironic that in crucifying Christ, Satan was setting the plan of salvation into completion. As I think of the Living water that flowed forth from Christ and the examples of how it works. The woman at the well, Nicodemus, the priest that came to him after his ascension to heaven. Are we willing to open our hearts to the living waters flowering forth from Jesus? Are we willing to listen to the still small voice of the Holy Spirit as we pray and study the living water in scripture during devotions? We must surrender all to Jesus, claim Justification by faith, and allow the living waters to flow into our lives, that God may complete the work he started in us, the transformation of the walk of sanctification, that when completed all the gifts of the spirit are present in our lives.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2022, 01:23:47 PM »
"The Lord Jesus seeks the co-operation of those who will become unobstructed channels for the communication of His grace."

"The first thing to be learned by all who would become workers together with God is the lesson of self-distrust."

"Then they are prepared to have imparted to them the character of Christ."

Amen Brother Beacon! Imputed righteousness and also imparted righteousness (character) when truly converted.  What must I do in order to obtain this imparted righteousness? Come to Jesus just as we are seeking of Him His living water.

Jesus knew the wants of the soul. Pomp, riches, and honor cannot satisfy the heart. "If any man thirst, let him come unto Me." The rich, the poor, the high, the low, are alike welcome. He promises to relieve the burdened mind, to comfort the sorrowing, and to give hope to the despondent. Many of those who heard Jesus were mourners over disappointed hopes, many were nourishing a secret grief, many were seeking to satisfy their restless longing with the things of the world and the praise of men; but when all was gained, they found that they had toiled only to reach a broken cistern, from which they could not quench their thirst. Amid the glitter of the joyous scene they stood, dissatisfied and sad. That sudden cry, "If any man thirst," startled them from their sorrowful meditation, and as they listened to the words that followed, their minds kindled with a new hope. The Holy Spirit presented the symbol before them until they saw in it the offer of the priceless gift of salvation.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2022, 08:02:12 PM »
"Jesus knows the wants of the soul."

Pomp, riches, and honor cannot satisfy the heart.

Jesus said.."If any man thirst, let him come unto Me."

"The rich, the poor, the high, the low, are alike welcome."

"He promises to relieve the burdened mind, to comfort the sorrowing, and to give hope to the despondent."

"Amid the glitter of the joyous scene they stood, dissatisfied and sad. That sudden cry, 'If any man thirst,' startled them from their sorrowful meditation, and as they listened to the words that followed, their minds kindled with a new hope.'

From the Book "Sanctified Life" We have these complementary thoughts..."The conflict still goes on between the children of light and the children of darkness. Those who name the name of Christ should shake off the lethargy that enfeebles their efforts, and should meet the momentous responsibilities that devolve upon them."

"All who do this may expect the power of God to be revealed in them."

"The Son of God, the world’s Redeemer, will be represented in their words and in their works, and God’s name will be glorified." {SL 41.1}

==========================

Far and near the fields are teeming
with the sheaves of ripened grain;
Far and near their gold is gleaming
O’er the summy slope and plain.

Refrain
Lord of harvest, send forth reapers!
Hear us Lord,to Thee we cry;
Send them now the sheaves to gather,
Ere the harvest-time pass by.

Send them forth with morn’s first beaming,
Send them in the noon-tides’s glare;
When the sun’s last rays are streaming,
bid them gather everywhere.

O thou, whom thy Lord is sending,
gather now the sheaves of gold;
Heavenward then at evening wending
Thou shalt come with joy untold.

Lyrics: J.O. Thomson 1885
Music: J.B.O Clemm   1895

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2022, 05:26:22 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!! We need Jesus to resurrect us to righteousness and empower us to affectionate obedience to all He calls us to do!

We cannot improve on what Christ already offered us. Salvation--the true experience of being in harmony with God by being saved by grace through faith from sin--is the true desire and need of every soul. Whether we know it or not, we are all longing to experience Christ, the Desire of all nations, and it is only in complete surrender of all we have and are to Him that there can be true love, joy and peace (along with all of the other fruit of the Spirit without one missing) as we are empowered to eagerly obey God's law of love, revealed in the Ten Commandments as the transcript of His selfless character. May we learn continually to go to Christ, the Source of all blessing and healing for our souls! Don't let the devil, the world or your own self trick you to think that other things will ever satisfy like Jesus and what He graciously gives us in loving relationships with Him and others!

"Jesus knew the wants of the soul. Pomp, riches, and honor cannot satisfy the heart. 'If any man thirst, let him come unto Me.' The rich, the poor, the high, the low, are alike welcome. He promises to relieve the burdened mind, to comfort the sorrowing, and to give hope to the despondent. Many of those who heard Jesus were mourners over disappointed hopes, many were nourishing a secret grief, many were seeking to satisfy their restless longing with the things of the world and the praise of men; but when all was gained, they found that they had toiled only to reach a broken cistern, from which they could not quench their thirst. Amid the glitter of the joyous scene they stood, dissatisfied and sad. That sudden cry, 'If any man thirst,' startled them from their sorrowful meditation, and as they listened to the words that followed, their minds kindled with a new hope. The Holy Spirit presented the symbol before them until they saw in it the offer of the priceless gift of salvation." {The Desire of Ages, page 454, paragraph 2}

As the Holy Spirit works to change us from glory to glory, from character to character, we experience an ever-deepening realization of our continual need of Jesus to do any good thing, and in abiding in Him, we are enabled to bear much fruit to the glory of God!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2022, 09:38:35 PM »
Amen my dear brothers! Praise the Lord that we have access to this fountain of life that brings love, joy, and peace to all who want it.

The cry of Christ to the thirsty soul is still going forth, and it appeals to us with even greater power than to those who heard it in the temple on that last day of the feast. The fountain is open for all. The weary and exhausted ones are offered the refreshing draught of eternal life. Jesus is still crying, "If any man thirst, let him come unto Me, and drink." "Let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely." "Whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life."

Some are not seeking love, joy, and peace, but the things of this world. When Jesus sees such, it is His desire to help them see their loss. Do we do as did Jesus, or do we leave our friends in darkness not wanting to hurt feelings?

"Then Jesus said unto them, My time is not yet come: but your time is alway ready. The world cannot hate you; but Me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil. Go ye up unto this feast: I go not up yet unto this feast; for My time is not yet full come. When He had said these words unto them, He abode still in Galilee." His brothers had spoken to Him in a tone of authority, prescribing the course He should pursue. He cast their rebuke back to them, classing them not with His self-denying disciples, but with the world. "The world cannot hate you," He said, "but Me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil." The world does not hate those who are like it in spirit; it loves them as its own. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2022, 08:00:18 PM »
"Many of those who heard Jesus were mourners over disappointed hopes"

"Many were nourishing a secret grief."

"Many were seeking to satisfy their restless longing with the things of the world and the praise of men."

"But when all was gained, they found that they had toiled only to reach a broken cistern, from which they could not quench their thirst."

"Amid the glitter of the joyous scene they stood, dissatisfied and sad."

"That sudden cry, 'If any man thirst,' startled them from their sorrowful meditation, and as they listened to the words that followed, their minds kindled with a new hope."

"The Holy Spirit presented the symbol before them until they saw in it the offer of the priceless gift of salvation."

Let us Turn Our Eyes Upon Jesus, look full in His Wonderful Face, and the things of Earth will grow Strangely Dim, in the Light of His Glory & Grace.

==============================

O soul, are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There’s light for a look at the Savior,
And life more abundant and free.
    Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
  In the light of His glory and grace.
Through death into life everlasting
He passed, and we follow Him there;
O’er us sin no more hath dominion
For more than conqu’rors we are!
His Word shall not fail you, He promised;
Believe Him and all will be well;
Then go to a world that is dying,
His perfect salvation to tell!

Lyrics & Music: Helen Howarth Lemmel (1863-1961)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2022, 03:38:01 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon!  As the cisterns of this world run dry, the Living Water Christ offers never ceases to quench our thirst.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2022, 03:51:11 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Brother Richard!!!

Happy Sabbath!!

What do you really want? The One who created you and died to redeem you really knows!!

Let us look above the pull of this world's deceptions and the fallen nature that we are all compassed with and trust Jesus who, by His word, can truly satisfy us and make us partakers of His divine nature!! The devil cannot overcome one soul who trusts fully in Jesus with the whole heart, for such a true conversion will bring all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing as we are empowered to obey God from the new heart He gives us!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2022, 04:40:28 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean!  I too chose the same truth as you and Brother Beacon!  Many were seeking to satisfy their restless longing with the things of the world and the praise of men; but when all was gained, they found that they had toiled only to reach a broken cistern, from which they could not quench their thirst.

Jesus knew the wants of the soul. Pomp, riches, and honor cannot satisfy the heart. "If any man thirst, let him come unto Me." The rich, the poor, the high, the low, are alike welcome. He promises to relieve the burdened mind, to comfort the sorrowing, and to give hope to the despondent. Many of those who heard Jesus were mourners over disappointed hopes, many were nourishing a secret grief, many were seeking to satisfy their restless longing with the things of the world and the praise of men; but when all was gained, they found that they had toiled only to reach a broken cistern, from which they could not quench their thirst. Amid the glitter of the joyous scene they stood, dissatisfied and sad. That sudden cry, "If any man thirst," startled them from their sorrowful meditation, and as they listened to the words that followed, their minds kindled with a new hope. The Holy Spirit presented the symbol before them until they saw in it the offer of the priceless gift of salvation.

Dorine

« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2022, 05:48:21 AM »
"The cry of Christ to the thirsty soul is still going forth, and it appeals to us with even greater power than to those who heard it in the temple on that last day of the feast. The fountain is open for all. The weary and exhausted ones are offered the refreshing draught of eternal life. Jesus is still crying, "If any man thirst, let him come unto Me, and drink." "Let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely." "Whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life." Revelation 22:17; John 4:14.

What joy this brings to the heart that accepts and believes this promise. We don't have to wait until Jesus comes to experience this thirst quenching water. It is ours now and it's available to all who will partake of it.

Beacon

« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2022, 08:12:32 PM »
"The world cannot hate you; but Me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil."

"Go ye up unto this feast: I go not up yet unto this feast; for My time is not yet full come."

"When He had said these words unto them, He abode still in Galilee."

" His brothers had spoken to Him in a tone of authority, prescribing the course He should pursue.

" He cast their rebuke back to them, classing them not with His self-denying disciples, but with the world."

"The world cannot hate you," He said, "but Me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil."

"The world does not hate those who are like it in spirit; it loves them as its own."

If we are truly committed to Jesus and preaching a Straight Testimony of End Time Truth---The world will hate us just as they did Jesus!! However, if we will remain faithful to Jesus, we know that He has promised to Save Us!! Who's side will you choose to be on??

========================
Beneath the cross of Jesus
  I fain would take my stand,
The shadow of a mighty Rock
  Within a weary land;
A home within the wilderness,
  A rest upon the way,
From the burning of the noontide heat,
  And the burden of the day.
Oh, safe and happy shelter!
  Oh, refuge tried and sweet!
Oh, trysting place where heaven’s love
  And heaven’s justice meet.
As to the holy patriarch
  That wondrous dream was given,
So is my Savior by the cross
  A ladder up to heaven.
There lies beneath its shadow,
  But on the farther side,
The darkness of an awful grave
  That gapes both deep and wide;
And there between us stands the cross,
  Two arms outstretched to save,
Like a watchman set to guard the way
  From that eternal grave.
Upon that cross of Jesus
  Mine eye at times can see
The very dying form of One,
  Who suffered there for me;
And from my smitten heart, with tears,
  Two wonders I confess,
The wonders of His glorious love,
  And my own worthlessness.
I take, O cross, thy shadow
  For my abiding place;
I ask no other sunshine than
  The sunshine of His face;
Content to let the world go by,
  To know no gain nor loss,
My sinful self my only shame,
  My glory all the cross.

Lyrics:Elizabeth Cecilia Clephane (1830-1869)
Music:Ira David Sankey (1840-1908)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2022, 02:49:12 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! I choose the side of truth with Jesus!!

Why go down a path in life that does not really satisfy?

We need the salvation so freely offered by Jesus! And the good news is that when we surrender the whole heart to Him and allow Him to lead us by His word, He fills us with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing so we can gladly obey Him from the new heart! Look to Jesus and accept what He offers you to be truly satisfied!

Dorine

« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2022, 05:03:39 AM »
  "Jesus knew the wants of the soul. Pomp, riches, and honor cannot satisfy the heart. "If any man thirst, let him come unto Me." The rich, the poor, the high, the low, are alike welcome. He promises to relieve the burdened mind, to comfort the sorrowing, and to give hope to the despondent. Many of those who heard Jesus were mourners over disappointed hopes, many were nourishing a secret grief, many were seeking to satisfy their restless longing with the things of the world and the praise of men; but when all was gained, they found that they had toiled only to reach a broken cistern, from which they could not quench their thirst. Amid the glitter of the joyous scene they stood, dissatisfied and sad. That sudden cry, "If any man thirst," startled them from their sorrowful meditation, and as they listened to the words that followed, their minds kindled with a new hope. The Holy Spirit presented the symbol before them until they saw in it the offer of the priceless gift of salvation."

Peace and joy are only found in Jesus. He never tired of expressing His love for all people. He has not changed. He will do the same for all who give their hearts to Him.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2022, 09:38:17 PM »
Amen my brothers and sister!  We choose Jesus because there is nothing that can compare with His love. The things of this world have become strangely dim!

"If any man thirst, let him come unto Me, and drink. He that believeth on Me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water." The condition of the people made this appeal very forcible. They had been engaged in a continued scene of pomp and festivity, their eyes had been dazzled with light and color, and their ears regaled with the richest music; but there had been nothing in all this round of ceremonies to meet the wants of the spirit, nothing to satisfy the thirst of the soul for that which perishes not. Jesus invited them to come and drink of the fountain of life, of that which would be in them a well of water, springing up unto everlasting life.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2023, 07:12:27 AM »
Sin, selfishness, and resisting God only bring dissatisfaction, no matter how much Satan may try to deceive the soul to think that the "pleasures of sin for a season" (Hebrews 11:25) will be worth it. It never is. Don't take the bait. Look to Jesus, learn of Him, surrender fully to Him, and cooperate with Him in the formation of a character that manifests all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing in harmony with all of the Ten Commandments--for such is the evidence of genuine conversion, drinking the living water that Christ offers!

Christ longs to give us something this world cannot provide to satisfy us. Only the Holy Spirit abiding in the soul can deeply satisfy us and lead us to make a wise use of our earthly life here in preparation for heaven and the new earth!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2023, 08:58:04 PM »
Amen Pastor Sean! 

As it was then, so it is today! The things of this world do not bring love, joy, and peace. It is knowing God that gives us purpose and joy in working with the Creator of not only this world, but the entire universe! Such a blessing!! Living Water is what we want that we can have the joy of giving it to those seeking truth.

Have a blessed Sabbath dear friends!