Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--48--Who Is the Greatest?  (Read 13539 times)

Beacon

Re: The Desire of Ages--48--Who Is the Greatest?
« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2023, 08:24:03 PM »
"Let the members of the church, as the representatives of Christ, unite in prayer and loving entreaty that the offender may be restored. "

"The Holy Spirit will speak through His servants, pleading with the wanderer to return to God."

"Paul the apostle, speaking by inspiration...says, “As though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ’s stead, be ye reconciled to God.” 2 Corinthians 5:20.

"He who rejects this united overture has broken the tie that binds him to Christ, and thus has severed himself from the fellowship of the church."

"Henceforth, said Jesus, “let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.”

"But he is not to be regarded as cut off from the mercy of God."

"Let him not be despised or neglected by his former brethren, but be treated with tenderness and compassion, as one of the lost sheep that Christ is still seeking to bring to His fold."

May the Holy Spirit indeed guide each one of us as we address spiritual issues with a brother or sister in Christ. With hearts full of tenderness let us remember and consider how we ourselves would want to be treated.

============================
Living for Jesus a life that is true,
Striving to please Him in all that I do;
Yielding allegiance, glad-hearted and free,
This is the pathway of blessing for me.
  O Jesus, Lord and Savior,
I give myself to Thee,
For Thou, in Thy [redemption],*
Didst give Thyself for me;
I own no other Master,
My heart shall be Thy throne,
My life I give, henceforth to live,
O Christ, for Thee alone.
Living for Jesus who died in my place,
Bearing on Calv’ry my sin and disgrace;
Such love constrains me to answer His call,
Follow His leading and give Him my all.
Living for Jesus wherever I am,
Doing each duty in His holy name;
Willing to suffer affliction and loss,
Deeming each trial a part of my cross.
Living for Jesus through earth’s little while,
My dearest treasure, the light of His smile;
Seeking the lost ones He died to redeem,
Bringing the weary to find rest in Him.

Lyrics:Thomas Obediah Chisholm (1866-1960)
Music:Carl Harold Lowden (1883-1963)
Look up and listen for the shout.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2023, 03:28:11 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon!  This principle is hard to understand, but we can if we love Jesus supremely.  It is the heart that God looks upon, our heart.

But it is to the wrongdoer himself that we are to present the wrong. We are not to make it a matter of comment and criticism among ourselves; nor even after it is told to the church, are we at liberty to repeat it to others. A knowledge of the faults of Christians will be only a cause of stumbling to the unbelieving world; and by dwelling upon these things, we ourselves can receive only harm; for it is by beholding that we become changed. While we seek to correct the errors of a brother, the Spirit of Christ will lead us to shield him, as far as possible, from the criticism of even his own brethren, and how much more from the censure of the unbelieving world. We ourselves are erring, and need Christ’s pity and forgiveness, and just as we wish Him to deal with us, He bids us deal with one another.

We are to deal with the erring in love. How patient is Jesus in dealing with me, ought to set the standard we are to follow.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2023, 04:44:08 AM »
Let the repenting sinner fix his eyes upon “the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world” (John 1:29); and by beholding, he becomes changed. His fear is turned to joy, his doubts to hope. Gratitude springs up. The stony heart is broken. A tide of love sweeps into the soul. Christ is in him a well of water springing up unto everlasting life. When we see Jesus, a Man of Sorrows and acquainted with grief, working to save the lost, slighted, scorned, derided, driven from city to city till His mission was accomplished; when we behold Him in Gethsemane, sweating great drops of blood, and on the cross dying in agony,—when we see this, self will no longer clamor to be recognized. Looking unto Jesus, we shall be ashamed of our coldness, our lethargy, our self-seeking. We shall be willing to be anything or nothing, so that we may do heart service for the Master. We shall rejoice to bear the cross after Jesus, to endure trial, shame, or persecution for His dear sake. {DA 439.3}

As Richard said, it's the heart that Jesus wants and when he has our hearts we will be amazed at the wondrous changes that take place in our lives and attitude. Peace and joy take the place of fear and self serving. All may have this relationship with Jesus.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2023, 04:53:51 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon, Brother Richard, and Sister Dorine!!! IT IS SUCH A JOY TO HAVE OUR REMNANT FAMILY "BACK" TOGETHER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! Hallelujah!!!!

Be childlike, converted, and willing to be anything or nothing by sitting afresh each day at the feet of Jesus and learning of Him. As the heart is fully surrendered to Jesus, He cleanses it from sin and imbues His little child of faith with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing, empowering such an one to obey the law of God as a delight!

"It was not enough for the disciples of Jesus to be instructed as to the nature of His kingdom. What they needed was a change of heart that would bring them into harmony with its principles. Calling a little child to Him, Jesus set him in the midst of them; then tenderly folding the little one in His arms He said, 'Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.' The simplicity, the self-forgetfulness, and the confiding love of a little child are the attributes that Heaven values. These are the characteristics of real greatness." {The Desire of Ages, page 437, paragraph 1}

May we seek to be like Jesus and encourage others to be like Jesus. It is a blessing, not a burden!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Philip T

« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2023, 09:09:36 AM »

Christ’s instruction as to the treatment of the erring repeats in more specific form the teaching given to Israel through Moses: “Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in anywise rebuke thy neighbor, that thou bear not sin for him.” Leviticus 19:17, margin. That is, if one neglects the duty Christ has enjoined, of trying to restore those who are in error and sin, he becomes a partaker in the sin. For evils that we might have checked, we are just as responsible as if we were guilty of the acts ourselves.

What a sobering thought to read, it shines light right to the heart. We are to help those who are in error, planting seed in their hearts, for the Holy Spirit to grow. If we know someone is erroring or struggling but turn away from them, we are just as responsible for their errors as if they were ours. Let us always be willing to share God's love and wisdom with those around us. God brings divine appointments into our lives to plant seeds, share with them, and this goes to helping fellow believers as well.

Beacon

« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2023, 11:00:36 PM »
"Let the members of the church, as the representatives of Christ, unite in prayer and loving entreaty that the offender may be restored. "

"The Holy Spirit will speak through His servants, pleading with the wanderer to return to God."

"Paul the apostle, speaking by inspiration...says, “As though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ’s stead, be ye reconciled to God.” 2 Corinthians 5:20.

"He who rejects this united overture has broken the tie that binds him to Christ, and thus has severed himself from the fellowship of the church."

"Henceforth, said Jesus, “let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.”

"But he is not to be regarded as cut off from the mercy of God."

"Let him not be despised or neglected by his former brethren, but be treated with tenderness and compassion, as one of the lost sheep that Christ is still seeking to bring to His fold."

May the Holy Spirit indeed guide each one of us as we address spiritual issues with a brother or sister in Christ. With hearts full of tenderness let us remember and consider how we ourselves would want to be treated.

============================
Living for Jesus a life that is true,
Striving to please Him in all that I do;
Yielding allegiance, glad-hearted and free,
This is the pathway of blessing for me.
  O Jesus, Lord and Savior,
I give myself to Thee,
For Thou, in Thy [redemption],*
Didst give Thyself for me;
I own no other Master,
My heart shall be Thy throne,
My life I give, henceforth to live,
O Christ, for Thee alone.
Living for Jesus who died in my place,
Bearing on Calv’ry my sin and disgrace;
Such love constrains me to answer His call,
Follow His leading and give Him my all.
Living for Jesus wherever I am,
Doing each duty in His holy name;
Willing to suffer affliction and loss,
Deeming each trial a part of my cross.
Living for Jesus through earth’s little while,
My dearest treasure, the light of His smile;
Seeking the lost ones He died to redeem,
Bringing the weary to find rest in Him.

Lyrics:Thomas Obediah Chisholm (1866-1960)
Music:Carl Harold Lowden (1883-1963)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2023, 10:25:26 PM »
Amen Brother Beacon!!  We want to be a blessing to as many as we can.

Christ’s instruction as to the treatment of the erring repeats in more specific form the teaching given to Israel through Moses: “Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in anywise rebuke thy neighbor, that thou bear not sin for him.” Leviticus 19:17, margin. That is, if one neglects the duty Christ has enjoined, of trying to restore those who are in error and sin, he becomes a partaker in the sin. For evils that we might have checked, we are just as responsible as if we were guilty of the acts ourselves.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #107 on: October 20, 2023, 04:34:04 AM »
"The sincere, contrite soul is precious in the sight of God. He places His own signet upon men, not by their rank, not by their wealth, not by their intellectual greatness, but by their oneness with Christ. The Lord of glory is satisfied with those who are meek and lowly in heart. “Thou hast also given me,” said David, “the shield of Thy salvation: ... and Thy gentleness”—as an element in the human character—“hath made me great.” Psalm 18:35.

May our hearts be open to the lessons taught in this chapter.  Those who are one with Christ bring joy to heaven and blessings to souls on earth and they understand that to be great in God's eyes they will meet heaven's standard through the power of the Holy Spirit in revealing every fruit of the Spirit in their lives.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2023, 06:21:06 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon, Brother Richard, and Sister Dorine!

What a blessing it is to abide in Jesus in true humility! When we surrender fully to Christ, all of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives without one missing as we are enabled by His divine grace to obey God's law like a little child is eager to obey his parents!

"Before honor is humility. To fill a high place before men, Heaven chooses the worker who, like John the Baptist, takes a lowly place before God. The most childlike disciple is the most efficient in labor for God. The heavenly intelligences can co-operate with him who is seeking, not to exalt self, but to save souls. He who feels most deeply his need of divine aid will plead for it; and the Holy Spirit will give unto him glimpses of Jesus that will strengthen and uplift the soul. From communion with Christ he will go forth to work for those who are perishing in their sins. He is anointed for his mission; and he succeeds where many of the learned and intellectually wise would fail." {The Desire of Ages, page 436, paragraph 3}

Praise God for the wonderful blessing of growing in grace and strength as we walk with Him in faith that works by love!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2024, 08:05:21 PM »
"When we see Jesus, a Man of Sorrows and acquainted with grief, working to save the lost, slighted, scorned, derided, driven from city to city till His mission was accomplished...

"When we behold Him in Gethsemane, sweating great drops of blood, and on the cross dying in agony..."

"When we see this, self will no longer clamor to be recognized."

"Looking unto Jesus, we shall be ashamed of our coldness, our lethargy, our self-seeking.

"We shall be willing to be anything or nothing, so that we may do heart service for the Master."

"We shall rejoice to bear the cross after Jesus, to endure trial, shame, or persecution for His dear sake."

Are "WE" willing to Stand Up for Jesus??

=======================
Stand up! stand up for Jesus!
  Ye soldiers of the cross;
Lift high His royal banner,
  It must not suffer loss:
From vict’ry unto vict’ry
  His army shall He lead,
Till every foe is vanquished
  And Christ is Lord indeed.
    Stand up for Jesus
Ye soldiers of the cross;
Lift high His royal banner,
  It must not, it must not suffer loss.
  The trumpet call obey;
Forth to the mighty conflict
  In this His glorious day.
Ye that are men, now serve Him
  Against unnumbered foes;
Let courage rise with danger.
  And strength to strength oppose.
  Stand in His strength alone;
The arm of flesh will fail you;
  Ye dare not trust your own.
Put on the Gospel armor,
  And, watching unto prayer,
Where duty calls, or danger,
  Be never wanting there.
  The strife will not be long:
This day the noise of battle,
  The next the victor’s song;
To him that overcometh
  A crown of life shall be;
He, with the King of glory,
  Shall reign eternally.

Lyrics:George Duffield (1818-1888)
Music:Adam Geibel (1855-1933)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2024, 01:30:24 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

Are you in love with Jesus? Because if you are so in love with Him that you surrender all you have and are to Him, you are tasting true greatness! "And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 18:3-4).

"Again Jesus explained to the disciples that His kingdom is not characterized by earthly dignity and display. At the feet of Jesus all these distinctions are forgotten." {The Desire of Ages, page 437, paragraph 2}

What a blessing to forget about self and focus on Jesus! What a blessing to forget about all the things that the world tends to use to base our worth or identity on, and instead focus on union and communion with Jesus in true conversion! Such an experience will be unmistakably witnessed in all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing in a life of true obedience to all of God's commandments! THAT IS LOVE IN ACTION!!

I love Jesus and He has called me to be a pastor (where I am still serving in Michigan) and now He is calling me to be a missionary to Papua New Guinea! I am SO THANKFUL for His grace all the way! If you or others know of those who are interested in partnering in this mission to reach the Ama tribe in Papua New Guinea, please go to the Adventist Frontier Missions site where you can learn more about the mission and partner through prayer and giving--and, as the Lord leads, He may call you to go to the mission field to reach the unreached, too!

https://afmonline.org/missionaries/detail/9493

Let the love of Christ constrain you!

Dorine

« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2024, 03:55:19 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

Are you in love with Jesus? Because if you are so in love with Him that you surrender all you have and are to Him, you are tasting true greatness! "And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 18:3-4).

"Again Jesus explained to the disciples that His kingdom is not characterized by earthly dignity and display. At the feet of Jesus all these distinctions are forgotten." {The Desire of Ages, page 437, paragraph 2}

What a blessing to forget about self and focus on Jesus! What a blessing to forget about all the things that the world tends to use to base our worth or identity on, and instead focus on union and communion with Jesus in true conversion! Such an experience will be unmistakably witnessed in all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing in a life of true obedience to all of God's commandments! THAT IS LOVE IN ACTION!!

I love Jesus and He has called me to be a pastor (where I am still serving in Michigan) and now He is calling me to be a missionary to Papua New Guinea! I am SO THANKFUL for His grace all the way! If you or others know of those who are interested in partnering in this mission to reach the Ama tribe in Papua New Guinea, please go to the Adventist Frontier Missions site where you can learn more about the mission and partner through prayer and giving--and, as the Lord leads, He may call you to go to the mission field to reach the unreached, too!

https://afmonline.org/missionaries/detail/9493

Let the love of Christ constrain you!

Pastor Sean you truly are following the lamb. Praise God for your commitment to Him. It will encourage others to patiently wait for God's timing in answering their prayers. I hope you will have the opportunity to stay in touch with us. May God bless your every step and know that you will be in our prayers for you safety and many souls won to the kingdom. What a day that will be!

Dorine

« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2024, 04:27:28 AM »
"In the spirit of meekness, “considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted,” (Galatians 6:1), go to the erring one, and “tell him his fault between thee and him alone.” Do not put him to shame by exposing his fault to others, nor bring dishonor upon Christ by making public the sin or error of one who bears His name. Often the truth must be plainly spoken to the erring; he must be led to see his error, that he may reform. But you are not to judge or to condemn. Make no attempt at self-justification. Let all your effort be for his recovery. In treating the wounds of the soul, there is need of the most delicate touch, the finest sensibility. Only the love that flows from the Suffering One of Calvary can avail here. With pitying tenderness, let brother deal with brother, knowing that if you succeed, you will “save a soul from death,” and “hide a multitude of sins.” James 5:20.

If only this was practiced by our members what a different church we would have. When we judge and condemn others we are judging ourselves for we are more guilty than the ones we accuse. We know how God looks at evil and if we don't we are guilty of neglecting our bibles where we find counsel for every aspect of our lives. May we love our brothers and sisters just as Jesus did.  Let's remember that we look on the outward appearance but Jesus always looks on the heart and the motives. It's Satan's demons that tempt us to lift ourselves up by putting others down. None of us are without sin.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #113 on: January 15, 2024, 08:16:26 AM »
Amen my dear brothers and sister! And what a blessing to have our Pastor Sean going into Papua New Guinea to spread the gospel message! We will be getting first hand testimonies as to how God is blessing his mission in this far away country which used to be the home of the head hunters. Their music is beautiful.

PAPUA NEW GUINEA GOSPEL HIS VOICE

This was the first Sabbath of the South Queensland Camp. It is the largest Camp held in Australia but not the largest in the South Pacific Division. That record goes to the Camp Meetings held in Papua New Guinea where 50,000 people would come along. Down here we get 3,000 campers and about 7,000 coming in on Sabbath.

Wow!!

https://remnant-online.com/smf/index.php/topic,20060.0.html

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #114 on: January 15, 2024, 08:39:04 AM »
The all important question to ask and answer is "what must I do to be saved (transformed)?"   Here is the answer which is not hard to understand. Over and over we learn that the answer is found throughout the Bible and the Spirit of Prophecy. Most pointedly in 2 Cor. 3:18. Share it over and over until it becomes no longer a well kept secret.

Let the repenting sinner fix his eyes upon “the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world” (John 1:29); and by beholding, he becomes changed. His fear is turned to joy, his doubts to hope. Gratitude springs up. The stony heart is broken. A tide of love sweeps into the soul. Christ is in him a well of water springing up unto everlasting life. When we see Jesus, a Man of Sorrows and acquainted with grief, working to save the lost, slighted, scorned, derided, driven from city to city till His mission was accomplished; when we behold Him in Gethsemane, sweating great drops of blood, and on the cross dying in agony,—when we see this, self will no longer clamor to be recognized. Looking unto Jesus, we shall be ashamed of our coldness, our lethargy, our self-seeking. We shall be willing to be anything or nothing, so that we may do heart service for the Master. We shall rejoice to bear the cross after Jesus, to endure trial, shame, or persecution for His dear sake.

“We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves.” Romans 15:1.

Philip T

« Reply #115 on: January 15, 2024, 02:55:28 PM »

Amen Brother Sean may God bless you as you follow his calling for the unreached in the world, may we all be willing if not physically able to go, to lend our support to those who do. God gives us blessings and we are to pass them on to others. This paragraph is eye opening, when we refuse to help or reach out to those in the world, when opportunity is present are just as guilty for what they do as if we had done them ourselves. Sobering thought.