Author Topic: Deer, Aren't They Sweet!  (Read 39459 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Re: Deer, Aren't They Sweet!
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2013, 07:14:48 AM »
Now that doesn't sound like fun. You'd think I'd have a similar experience with deer where I live but I don't think I've ever seen a single deer track in my yard for all the years I've lived here. Although I see them most evenings when I'm driving in the dark.

I have a relatively small garden and I was more worried about the smaller pests... ground hogs, rabbits, racoons etc.. So I put a relatively cheap fence. I bought some 2ft rabbit fencing and some cheap metal stakes. I haven't had any issues with my garden outside of the goofy earwigs eating the leaves on my sunflowers. One day on inspecting my garden I did find that something tried to push it over in one section. Whatever it was pushed fairly hard. I don't understand why something with that much strength just didn't hop over the small fence. Although I'm not complaining.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2016, 02:04:02 PM »
Jim, you are blessed!  And, so was I.  Have not seen a deer all year!!  Amazing!  But, yesterday as I was watering my garden my eye caught something very foreboding. Yes, they are back!!  It is good that Mad Deer Disease has not yet reached California. They left me their waste to clean up. Mad Deer Disease like BSE (Mad Cow Disease) is spread through urine and feces in the soil. And, the prions appear to be taken up by the greens we like to eat.

So, back to my garden patrol at night. I am so thankful for the months of peace and tranquility I have enjoyed, not to mention the good nights sleep. Dogs are gone, so I am on my own, unless God intervenes!  :) 

Opened my door last night to go to the car for something, and was met with a growl. There face to face with me were a family of four ready to fight raccoons.  The dogs are gone, but the cats are still here. They get fed morning and evening. Apparently they left some food for our masked bandits. And, they were not going to let me disturb their meal without a complaint. I growled louder and they took off.  :) 

I like them better than the deer. They are cute, but they can tear things up when they are after food. And, they can be quite vicious when backed into a corner. I know better, so they always have a way out when I growl at them.  :)  Actually we have met quite a few times. Usually they run up a tree where I can take pictures of them.  They have not bothered my garden from what I can tell. So, they are not my enemies as are the "sweet" deer!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2016, 05:56:04 PM »
Raccoons! They are in over abundance here. Although I rarely see them alive. If they weren't so poor at crossing roads I think they'd take over the world.

Speaking of fences. I got tired of the messy look that my fence got because of the grass growing up against it so this year I removed it and I haven't had any issues with animals. Other than some birds raiding my strawberries. However, the corn and water melon are still kind of behind a fence since the last two years I used the last 10 feet of my dog run to expand my garden. So my popcorn is still safe. Unless of course something leans how to climb a chain link fence.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2017, 04:26:42 PM »
Wellll......my fence got knocked down. So, Bambi and family have enjoyed not  only my clean kale and collards, but they really like the young leaves coming out on all of my young fruit trees!  Well......I am going to spray them all with cayenne!!   Not sure what will happen, but I am looking to buy some right now!!!   :) Will report back with the results.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2017, 04:45:32 PM »
I hope the deer don't like cayenne as much as squirrels do.  :P  I tried discouraging them from eating from my bird feeders with cayenne.  It worked for a few days, or so, and then they must have developed a taste for it.  So I gave up, since it clogged the feeders anyway.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2017, 05:07:47 PM »
Wally, I'm sure you don't wanna go investing money new bird feeders but... this seems to work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A-7g-fl3g8

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2017, 03:09:35 AM »
I've seen that  kind before.  I opted for an different kind (with collapsible perches), and it worked for a number of years.  Finally, one enterprising Red Squirrel managed to wrap itself around the feeder and get at the seed.  It didn't take long for the squirrels to destroy the feeder.  ::)  The baffles work for the Red Squirrels (except when the snow is deep--like most of this winter), and I don't have that many Gray Squirrels, so I've left it at that.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

colporteur

« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2017, 06:20:54 AM »
I hope the deer don't like cayenne as much as squirrels do.  :P  I tried discouraging them from eating from my bird feeders with cayenne.  It worked for a few days, or so, and then they must have developed a taste for it.  So I gave up, since it clogged the feeders anyway.

You must have a Hispanic strain. lol
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2017, 07:26:22 AM »
In fact as a stimulant, it is addicting. And, as such, there is a tolerance built up requiring more of it to satisfy the addiction. Following Wally's experience, I might end up losing whole trees, not just the leaves.  :(     Maybe a cannon going off all night would be better?

In studying the subject, what I have read is that deer are like thieves, sooner or later no matter how hard you try to protect your valuables, they find a way to get at them.  :(      Actually God has kept them away for awhile. So, after I have done my part, I know He will do what is best. Maybe if my friends will offer up a prayer or two. There is power in prayer!

Dorine

« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2017, 08:26:44 AM »
Nova Scotia deer don't like Irish Spring soap. It may look funny but putting bars of soap in panty hose or knee highs and hanging from the trees or bushes keep the deer out of our gardens. I place them quite close together, (2 - 2 1/2 feet) spray with the hose once or twice a day (unless it's raining) and it works.

Our dog died this past January so we may have more problems with rabbits this year so I am going to throw bars of soap on the ground around the lettuce and see if it works the same for them. One thing about lettuce; even if they chew it off it will bounce back and continue to grow. I guess it might be wise to grow enough for both.  :-\
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2017, 08:44:35 AM »
Dorine, I have read about Irish Spring. I can't afford that many bars of soap.  Irish Spring has a good marketing program!

Mark suggested the same about growing enough for the deer and me. Well....what I discovered is that we must have a lot more deer here than he has. I grew enough kale and collards for my deer friend and me. But, Bambi invited his sister and brother, then the rest of his family, then his family and friends. Now, there is nothing left for any of us!  :(  But, God has promised He will provide our necessities, and He does. So, life has its trials that we may grow through them. Satan chooses to use deer, and God allows for a time.

Deer, rabbits, coons, dogs, cats, squirrels, birds, slugs, white flies, snails, and people. What can I say? "And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed [is] the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat [of] it all the days of thy life; Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou [art], and unto dust shalt thou return."

It was for our good that God pronounced this curse. "Cursed is the ground for thy sake."  Our trials are meant to work for our good.

Dorine

« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2017, 10:51:16 AM »
Ha, ha. Well I tried. I've been collecting the soap over the years from the dollar store. It was a test at first and then I realized that the area's I placed the soap did not have any damage.

Well Richard God's creatures know where to graze on the healthiest and tastiest treats in your area and where the nicest people live. No guns, no hurt, good food. I wish I had the answers. Ask me about worms.  ;D

When I look out my window all I see is white. I fight envy when I hear about those that have gardens in.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2017, 04:44:58 PM »
I've heard that Mountain Lion urine is a good deterrent for deer, but I suspect that it's not cheap, and must be reapplied after each rainstorm.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2017, 06:54:32 AM »
God is so very good!  Wally, He gave me African Lion poop. I thought that would do it. And, I think it did, for awhile. I would not spread it in my garden, but I had it in a bucket. It kept them out for a couple of months, I think.

Dorine, I wish I was close by and we would make you a raised bed!  Have you thought about the church doing a garden as a ministry project? You would be a great blessing and God would bless it abundantly!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2017, 07:08:04 AM »
Just after my last post, I was doing my morning study of church activity and found this ANN story on an evangelism project.  Training Church Gardeners

I think it will take them a little longer than a week to catch up with you, Dorine!  Maybe you can help them a little?   :)

Dorine

« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2017, 06:28:37 AM »
If I was 20 years younger Richard I would love to do something like that. I no longer have the strength nor endurance to take on a project like that.
I hate to admit it but I'm a physical "has been". Even the gardening I do now is done with the help of my daughters. 

Our plans this year for our very small garden is asking God to bless it abundantly so that we can share with some very poor neighbours in our small community. Especially one neighbour who has 3rd stage cancer. Her family depends on her. She has a mentally challenged daughter, special needs son and his wife and a Grand child she is raising that a daughter had out of wedlock. It's a very sad situation but they are such nice humble people. I want to bring as much joy and hope into their lives as is possible. They are not Christians so my intentions are to win their friendship and confidence so I can introduce them to Jesus.

Thanks for the offer of the raised beds by the way.  I'll have to wait for heaven to take you up on that one.   :)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2017, 09:32:45 PM »
I was not thinking of you doing all the work, but encouraging others to take up the garden as an evangelistic project. You can do the supervising!!  :)  Have a blessed Sabbath!