Author Topic: Present Truth in the Book of Job  (Read 82757 times)

Greg Goodchild

• http://
Re: Present Truth in the Book of Job
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2007, 01:50:40 PM »
Absolutely not! It is the same principle of Moses "not obeying God" in Exodus 32:9-10. God told Moses to let Him alone that He may consume Israel and Moses did not "obey". Instead Moses pleaded with God for Israel. I believe that Jesus counted Moses' position as righteousness. In my opinion God, and His messenger EGW have claimed that Job was perfect and obedient and righteous and that Job did not sin. Job's "friends" claimed that Job did sin. Each person will have to come and evaluate the material and decide from the evidence. I have decided for me - Job was a man of God and did not fail during his trial by faith. Here was one who was patient James 5:11 and He kept the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2007, 08:56:26 PM »

Well, I must say our definition of sin is quite different. I never have instructed God, reproved God, or contended with God. To me, this is a sure sign of one who is not abiding in Christ. But, we have more that will help us see that Job is not dead to self. That Job is working against God, not giving honor and glory to God, but taking it to himself just as Elihu said.

40:6   Then answered the LORD unto Job out of the whirlwind, and said, 
  40:7   Gird up thy loins now like a man: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me. 
  40:8   Wilt thou also disannul my judgment? wilt thou condemn me, that thou mayest be righteous? 

Brother Greg, is this a definite statement from God as to the condition of Job's heart?

Absolutely not! It is the same principle of Moses "not obeying God" in Exodus 32:9-10. God told Moses to let Him alone that He may consume Israel and Moses did not "obey". Instead Moses pleaded with God for Israel. I believe that Jesus counted Moses' position as righteousness. In my opinion God, and His messenger EGW have claimed that Job was perfect and obedient and righteous and that Job did not sin. Job's "friends" claimed that Job did sin. Each person will have to come and evaluate the material and decide from the evidence. I have decided for me - Job was a man of God and did not fail during his trial by faith. Here was one who was patient James 5:11 and He kept the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.

Brother Greg, you say that Job's sin is not sin. You equate his actions of disannulling  God's judgment, condemning God, and doing this that he might be righteous, with Moses asking God to not destroy the Israelites. There is not the least similarity. Moses did not sin. It was God who put the words into Moses mouth. It was the Spirit of God that was leading Moses. His concern was the glory of God. That is why he spoke as he did to God. Not so Job when he condemned God. He did it to make himself righteous. This is what God stated. Moses did no such thing.

I always like to read in context. Let us read the verses you quoted in context and the truth will be seen. It was God's honor that prompted Moses, not his own righteousness as had motivated Job.

Exodus

32:9    And the LORD said unto Moses, I have seen this people, and, behold, it [is] a stiffnecked people: 
32:10   Now therefore let me alone, that my wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume        them: and I will make of thee a great nation. 
32:11   And Moses besought the LORD his God, and said, LORD, why doth thy wrath wax hot against thy people, which thou hast brought forth out of the land of Egypt with great power, and with a mighty hand? 
32:12   Wherefore should the Egyptians speak, and say, For mischief did he bring them out, to slay them in the mountains, and to consume them from the face of the earth? Turn from thy fierce wrath, and repent of this evil against thy people. 
32:13   Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, thy servants, to whom thou swarest by thine own self, and saidst unto them, I will multiply your seed as the stars of heaven, and all this land that I have spoken of will I give unto your seed, and they shall inherit [it] for ever. 
32:14  And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people. 

Here we see the motive that prompted Moses to speak to God. He knew that the Egyptians would blame God if the Israelites were killed. He wanted God to be glorified. But, this is not all. Was Moses speaking things that originated in his mind, or things that Satan tempted him to say, or were his words inspired? Job darkened God's Word, but Moses spoke truth.

There is not the least similarity in this example that you use in an attempt to justify Job in his sin. God did not excuse Job's sin. Neither did Job. Job repented of his sin. Moses did not repent for he did not sin. God did not tell Moses he was self-righteous as he had told Job.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Greg Goodchild

« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2007, 11:26:54 PM »
Brother Greg, you say that Job's sin is not sin.

BG: No that is not what I said, that is what you said. I said that Job's experience with God was considered by God to be righteous. Job did not sin, in God's opinion, the messenger of the Lord's opinion, and in my opinion.

You equate his actions of disannulling  God's judgment, condemning God, and doing this that he might be righteous, with Moses asking God to not destroy the Israelites. There is not the least similarity. Moses did not sin. It was God who put the words into Moses mouth. It was the Spirit of God that was leading Moses. His concern was the glory of God. That is why he spoke as he did to God. Not so with Job when he condemned God. He did it to make himself righteous. This is what God stated. Moses did no such thing.

BG: I have no question that Moses did not sin. I believe that God inspired him just as He inspired Job. I also believe that Job did not sin.

I always like to read in context. Let us read the verses you quoted in context and the truth will be seen. It was God's honor that prompted Moses, not his own righteousness as had motivated Job.

BG: I believe that Job wanted to honor God also. Job honored God by being faithful to Him.

Exodus

32:9    And the LORD said unto Moses, I have seen this people, and, behold, it [is] a stiffnecked people: 
32:10   Now therefore let me alone, that my wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume        them: and I will make of thee a great nation. 
32:11   And Moses besought the LORD his God, and said, LORD, why doth thy wrath wax hot against thy people, which thou hast brought forth out of the land of Egypt with great power, and with a mighty hand? 
32:12   Wherefore should the Egyptians speak, and say, For mischief did he bring them out, to slay them in the mountains, and to consume them from the face of the earth? Turn from thy fierce wrath, and repent of this evil against thy people. 
32:13   Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, thy servants, to whom thou swarest by thine own self, and saidst unto them, I will multiply your seed as the stars of heaven, and all this land that I have spoken of will I give unto your seed, and they shall inherit [it] for ever. 
32:14  And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people. 

Here we see the motive that prompted Moses to speak to God. He knew that the Egyptians would blame God if the Israelites were killed. He wanted God to be glorified. But, this is not all. Was Moses speaking things that originated in his mind, or things that Satan tempted him to say, or were his words inspired? Job darkened God's Word, but Moses spoke truth.

BG: I would like to have had Job have every word done in a manner so that no one would question him. However, Job was a human being and sometimes did not say things the way I would have like him to say it. None the less, the messenger of the Lord said that Job passed the test. Allow me to post some of them again.

9. Job's Friends Misrepresented God.--There is wickedness in our world, but all the suffering is not the result of a perverted course of life. Job is brought distinctly before us as a man whom the Lord allowed Satan to afflict. The enemy stripped him of all he possessed; his family ties were broken; his children were taken from him. For a time his body was covered with loathsome sores, and he suffered greatly. His friends came to comfort him, but they tried to make him see that he was responsible, by his sinful course, for his afflictions. But he defended himself, and denied the charge, declaring, Miserable comforters are ye all. By seeking to make him guilty before God, and deserving of His punishment, they brought a grievous test upon him, and represented God in a false light; but Job did not swerve from his loyalty, and God rewarded His faithful servant (MS 22, 1898).

"Job endured the test; he proved true to God. And after his trial, his blessings were manifold. The prosperity that attended the closing years of his life gave the enemy no opportunity to exult over the former misfortunes of God's faithful servant. {RH, August 16, 1906 par. 10}

"When he hath tried me," he said, "I shall come forth as gold." So it came to pass. By his patient endurance he vindicated his own character, and thus the character of Him whose representative he was. . . . The Lord gave Job twice as much as he had before. . . . So the Lord blessed the latter end of Job more than his beginning. {SD 95.8}

Now when Jesus, through His messenger clearly states that "Job did not swerve from His loyalty"; "Job endured the test, he proved true to God"; "By his patient endurance he vindicated his own character, and thus the character of Him who representative he was." do you want me to deny the testimony of Jesus' messenger? I can not do it. You and I are free to debate about whether or not Job was loyal, true, and whether he vindicated the character of Jesus, but when the God's messenger states a message from Jesus, the debate is done in my mind. Job was true to Jesus and vindicated the character of Jesus.

There is not the least similarity in this example that you use in an attempt to justify Job in his sin. God did not excuse Job's sin. Neither did Job. Job repented of his sin. Moses did not repent for he did not sin. God did not tell Moses he was self-righteous as he had told Job.

BG: Job was indeed a sinner. But Jesus claims that Job passed the test, that is good enough for me.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #83 on: November 25, 2007, 11:38:40 AM »
For a time, I considered not continuing here out of concern that some would think Ellen White was in opposition to Scripture, but because I believe she was not, I must continue so that others will not be able to say she contradicted the Bible. I have no problem reconciling what she was saying with what the Bible is saying. It is plain that Job sinned. Self-righteousness is sin. Until Brother Greg, I have never heard of anyone believing self-righteousness is not sin.

So, since Ellen White has been brought in to say otherwise, we need to explain how it is that she could say Job was faithful even though he sinned.

When a man is sick and tired, it is much harder to resist sin. God said that Job was perfect and Ellen White said his friends were wrong when they accused him of sin, I have said the very same thing here in this topic. So, to take those statements and make them applicable to Job later, is not proper. I know of no one who looks at Job's experience and does not feel sorry for him. And, who would not want to excuse his sin?  Who could continue on in the trial that Job was put through? How would I do, or you?  We all sympathize with him. But, sin is sin and we need to recognize it for what it is. As Christians we do not judge Job because he fell. No, we are thankful that when God came to him, he did not resist God, but covered his mouth and repented of his sin.

So, in the long term, how do we look at Job?  He was a great Christian!! Show me another man like Job? But, what has that to do with his sin? He sinned. He was self-righteous. He condemned God that he would be righteous. If that is not sin, then I cannot tell you what sin is. Self was alive and well in Job. Poor man. He was sick and tired. And, his three "friends" ripped apart his character as well as teaching false doctrine. What else could go wrong? Nothing! All went wrong.  That he repented so quickly when God came to him is a miracle!!  Can we say that Job was faithful?  I would say so. Am I trying to stretch the truth? No, not at all. 

Let me ask the readers here, was Moses faithful? I would say yes. But, one of the important lessons that I teach brings out the fact that Moses sinned late in his life. And when Moses sinned, God killed him. Then how could I or  you, say that Moses was faithful? Because he was. The lapse he had did not negate what he had done and just as did Job, Moses repented quickly and earnestly. So, let no one say that Ellen White was speaking contrary to the Bible when she said Job was faithful. The Bible says the same about Moses! And Moses fell just as did Job.  Both Moses and Job are seen as faithful, Godly men, even though they both sinned after many years of perfect living.

Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is the devil; and deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham. Therefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people. For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succor them that are tempted.

Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus; who was faithful to him that appointed him, as also Moses was faithful in all his house. For this man was counted worthy of more honor than Moses, inasmuch as he who hath builded the house hath more honor than the house. For every house is builded by some man; but he that built all things is God.

And Moses verily was faithful in all his house, as a servant for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken after; but Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.  Heb 2:14-3:6.

Yes, the Bible teaches that Moses was faithful!  We too may say that Job was faithful. Yes, they both fell from grace, but both repented quickly. That is the important truth.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Greg Goodchild

« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2007, 07:59:47 PM »
"For a time, I considered not continuing here out of concern that some would think Ellen White was in opposition to Scripture, but because I believe she was not, I must continue so that others will not be able to say she contradicted the Bible. I have no problem reconciling what she was saying with what the Bible is saying. It is plain that Job sinned. Self-righteousness is sin. Until Brother Greg, I have never heard of anyone believing self-righteousness is not sin."

I don't believe self-righteousness is a good thing. I am not talking about self-righteousness, but I am talking about Job. I do not believe that God, or His messenger, come to the same conclusion that you do. I believe God and His messenger pronounce that Job stood faithful to Jesus throughout his ordeal.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2007, 10:08:09 PM »
The Book of Job says Job was self-righteous. How can we pass over this? After over 40 chapters, then God comes to Job with a personal message. "Wilt thou also disannul my judgment? wilt thou condemn me, that thou mayest be righteous?"

Brother Greg, you are saying that being "self-righteous" is not good, but it is not sin?  Give me another example besides Job where you say being self-righteous is not sin.

Greg Goodchild

« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2007, 11:21:37 PM »
The Book of Job says Job was self-righteous. How can we pass over this? After over 40 chapters, then God comes to Job with a personal message. "Wilt thou also disannul my judgment? wilt thou condemn me, that thou mayest be righteous?"

Brother Greg, you are saying is that being "self-righteous" is not good, but it is not sin?  Give me another example besides Job where you say being self-righteous is not sin.

I am sticking to the point of Job not failing Jesus during his trial. He was a success story.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2007, 06:55:56 AM »
I am sticking to the point of Job not failing Jesus during his trial. He was a success story.

Brother Greg, although I have been silent I have been following this discussion. I agree with you that in the end this story and experience of Job was a success. I also believe that Moses was a success story even though he sinned just before entering Canaan. So... I am curious do you agree or not that Job was self-righteous?
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Greg Goodchild

« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2007, 07:16:52 AM »
I think that Job was trying his best to defend his case. I also think that God confronted Job because Job did not understand what was going on. I think Job had a deeper experience with God as a result of this trial. I think that God chastened Job because of his stance. I think Job was getting focused on himself instead of God, which lead to the chastening. But to state that Job "sinned" would be taking the concept too far in the context of the story.

The story of Job is to typify the final generation experience. In the final generation conflict we are to stand in the presence of a holy God without sinning, because the sanctuary service has been closed and the sealing has been completed. To use a type where the individual sinned in the middle of the experience, then was forgiven, and then becomes the type for the final generation is an interesting concept. I hold that Job, though corrected and chastened, held firm to Jesus and like Jacob got through his experience without bringing disrepute upon God.

Dora

• For the battle is not yours, but God's.
« Reply #89 on: November 26, 2007, 08:24:09 PM »
Jim and Greg, I agree with you. I do not think Job failed God.  Yes, I have read all the pros and cons on here.  Besides the fact that neither the Bible nor the SOP says Job failed the test, would you mind if I throw in just a bit of thinking about "why did God say, 'have you considered my servant Job?'"

We may think we know how we will react to terrible hurt and loss, but we don't know for sure until that time comes, right?  But, God does.  He knows ahead of that time whether we will be "a failure" or not.  I see this situation as being not just Job's character on the line, but God's was, too, with "men and angels" watching. If Job had failed, then Satan could have laughed in God's face.  God knew Job would say, "Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him."  He knows all about you and I today, too.  He knows how we will react in those stressful, Refiner's fires.  Will our lives bring honor to our God?
Dora

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #90 on: November 27, 2007, 06:03:04 AM »
I think that God chastened Job because of his stance. I think Job was getting focused on himself instead of God, which lead to the chastening. But to state that Job "sinned" would be taking the concept too far in the context of the story.

I'm not sure how one can focus on themselves without sinning.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Greg Goodchild

« Reply #91 on: November 27, 2007, 07:02:39 AM »
I think that God chastened Job because of his stance. I think Job was getting focused on himself instead of God, which lead to the chastening. But to state that Job "sinned" would be taking the concept too far in the context of the story.

I'm not sure how one can focus on themselves without sinning.
Apparently enough so that Jesus can chastise you, correct you, and still have not surrendered the battle to Satan. Apparently it can be done in such a manner that Jesus, and His messenger, can say that Job did not fall.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #92 on: November 27, 2007, 07:54:59 AM »
Greg ... we will get through this!  :) I say that as much for encouragement to myself as to you and others who are looking at the story of Job.

You said this:
The story of Job is to typify the final generation experience.
It is something I have never heard or considered. And for us who clearly see that Job did sin when he turned inward with his string of questions, we see that Job was in need of chastening. God sent Elihu. If Job was not in need of correction, going off of what is considered a perfect path, why would God send Elihu? Elihu's account is not included for nothing. Elihu was sent by God. The Bible says so. It is there. He was a young man who respected his elders, but he was sent with a message. Should we simply ignore what Elihu said? 

Then here is this. It is based upon the premise that Job's experience is that of the final generation - again, where do you come to this conclusion that he is a type of the final generation? That is LGT thinking with a twist - and you do say it is an interesting concept, IF Job was found guilty of sin. I agree with you. Can't have both concepts going on at the same time.
In the final generation conflict we are to stand in the presence of a holy God without sinning, because the sanctuary service has been closed and the sealing has been completed. To use a type where the individual sinned in the middle of the experience, then was forgiven, and then becomes the type for the final generation is an interesting concept.

Job cannot be held as a type of a group of people who perfected their characters, whether the final generation or not, because he did sin. Again, I need to say I do not believe in the Last Generation Theology that only those of the last generation on earth can have perfected characters. Enoch had a perfect character and so did many other saints we know of - to say nothing of countless others of which we know nothing. We can have perfected characters today. The 144,000 are only those who are left after probation closes who will stand without a mediator - they will endure the great time of trouble and will follow the Lamb whithersoever He goes. That is the difference between the 144,000 and those who have already perfected their characters.

Back to the subject ...   

Was Moses perfect and upright until he struck the rock and said "we"? He was considered so. But it was enough (sin) to keep him out of the Promised Land. Moses quickly repented - so did Job. Job recognized God in the whirlwind - he repented in dust and ashes. There is no difference between the two men in the fact that they were upright and both were exceedingly blest after they repented. One was resurrected and taken to heaven, the other was given many times exceeding that which he originally had.

But in all of this, we cannot get past God's own words to Job: "Wilt thou also disannul my judgment? wilt thou condemn me, that thou mayest be righteous?" Job defending himself to his woefully sorry friends is one thing, but pumping himself up to God is quite another. God knew what Job was doing and he called him on it. Does God chasten someone who is "in Christ" as we say these days? No! He chastens (Rev. 3) those whom He loves. A perfect and upright life does not require a rebuke and chasening words from God.

Ellen White speaks of Moses and Job in great detail. At one point she says this of Job which adds to Job's deficiency:

"The Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind" (Job 38:1), and revealed to His servant the might of His power. When Job caught a glimpse of his Creator, he abhorred himself and repented in dust and ashes. Then the Lord was able to bless him abundantly and to make his last years the best of his life.  {PK 164.1}
     Hope and courage are essential to perfect service for God. These are the fruit of faith. Despondency is sinful and unreasonable. God is able and willing "more abundantly" (Hebrews 6:17) to bestow upon His servants the strength they need for test and trial. The plans of the enemies of His work may seem to be well laid and firmly established, but God can overthrow the strongest of these. And this He does in His own time and way, when He sees that the faith of His servants has been sufficiently tested.  {PK 164.2}

Ellen White goes so far as to call despondency sinful and unreasonable. Granted, we have incredible sympathy for Job while he is going through this test, as we do for anyone experiencing a crucible; however, if he had not been despondent, thus becoming unreasonable, would he have - using God's own words - "condemned" God? One thing, "despondency" led to another - condemning God. 

Greg said:
I hold that Job, though corrected and chastened, held firm to Jesus and like Jacob got through his experience without bringing disrepute upon God.
I cannot see how this statement can hold true when there is weight of evidence against it.

For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Dora

« Reply #93 on: November 27, 2007, 09:05:29 AM »
I am not sure how many of you on here have lost a child.  I am aware of at least one person who has.  I had to live through the death of one son, and I still had two children left to me, who have been such a blessing.  Job lost seven sons and three daughters, all at one time!  He was very concerned about their salvation, also!  If that in itself, (not even considering all else happening to him) would not bring on despondency, nothing could.

When our son died, I was despondent, I did not blame God, but I was angry and dejected, depressed and hurting.  It was very hard to "see" God at that time, for I walked in a kind of fog.  But, I had friends, real friends, who brought me again to Jesus, and put my hand in His, and I began to recover and heal.

God knew all about Job, and just as we are promised we will not be tempted above that which we are able, "and the Lord turned the captivity of Job, when he prayed for his friends:"

Job did "despise" himself, and said "I repent in dust and ashes."  Yes, I would have liked to have said after our loss that I had reacted differently.  But, God gave me time, and understanding to recover, and to see His hand through it all, and to finally develop in me more faith, trust and caused me to desire to be a more dedicated, compassionate worker for Jesus.

If any on here who are "condemning" Job have gone through any of what he did, then I know you will remember the hurt, the despondency, because we are quite human.  If you have not, I pray you will never have to, but that you will look at your own children, young or adult, and imagine if all of them were taken away at once.  How would you react?  I did not react well, I know that, but I also knew that God did not take our son, nor did He take Job's children, He removed the hedge. With our son it was a result of circumstances and choices.  I did question God, "Why?" just as did Job.
Dora

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #94 on: November 27, 2007, 09:13:53 AM »
Sister Dora, did you condemn God?

Dora

« Reply #95 on: November 27, 2007, 09:32:29 AM »
Well, I felt hate for some of God's created beings, and yes, I finally came to repentence for that.  I never saw God as the reason for any of this happening...I never did think that God killed our son, and I knew why God could not keep the hedge around him, because of his own actions.  But, as I said, at first, I wanted to blame someone else for his actions that killed him, rather than  acknowledging that it was our son's choices that did.

No, the answer is no, I did not condemn God.  I asked many questions of Him, many! So did Job. And, I did succumb to severe depression and despondency.  I certainly did not begin to recover or regain my "sanity" as quickly as it appears that Job did.  Did I sin?  Yes, in hating, I know I did.  The despondency, I do not know how I could have changed.  I certainly could not do it myself, and Ellen White tells of her many bouts with depression, and how hard it was.

In the Testimonies topic, I will enter my testimony of a special event which God used to bring about my healing.  Whether I recognized His Presence or not, I can now see how He went through it all with me, and still comforts me in my loss.
Dora

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #96 on: November 27, 2007, 09:46:13 AM »
Sister Dora, I knew you did not condemn God, but I had to ask because it was in that context you  were sharing.  There are great trials in life and some bring on despondency. As we are told, it is sin. It may encourage you to know that Ellen White became despondent also. As Moses sinned, and Job sinned, we are to gain a knowledge of ourselves from these lessons. Sin is not the final event in our lives. Much can be learned from it. There is no excuse for it since God has provided a remedy. But, our condition is such that we do not  realize our need of Jesus every moment. You have recovered and give honor and glory to God in your life. This is the all important matter. Not that we sinned, but that we recognized the sin and what it does to our Lord and His work, and repented. When we go through this, we are like Peter after he repented when He denied His Lord. We are then ready to take care of God's sheep and His lambs. We have sympathy for others who need our help.  Moses, Job, and you are faithful servants even though you each sinned. This is the difference between the Christian and the worldling. We respect the sinner who repents. We see this as strong. But, the world sees the sinner as weak even though he repents.  Show me the world's greatest sinner who has repented and I will say that he will stand closest to Jesus on the new earth!  God is GOOD!!  :)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #97 on: November 27, 2007, 09:56:17 AM »
Yes, I lost a child, a brother and a husband. It was not until the loss of my husband that the very breath was knocked out of my body in grief. I could take no more deaths. The cause of my child's death is borne by my first husband. He killed our child. I didn't blame God. My brother's death was caused by his choice of lifestyle - I did not blame God. My husband's death was caused by genetics and lifestyle choices but it was the final blow in this series. I blamed God for my troubles and inability to stand in the face of this loss - was full of sympathy for myself. All of these were preChristianity days for me. I didn't know how to act, so I reacted through selfish ignorance and was like a worm in hot oil. Six years later Jesus won my heart. He was patient beyond belief. I was left with nothing - was brought low to see my need. I will never forget that experience. All of a sudden, there was peace and reconciliation.

Our experience is not the focus of this topic yet we hold Christian sympathy for each other through our incredible sorrows of this life. Job is being held as an example in this examination. [Though our goal is also sinlessness through the experience] It is being said that he did not sin in his miseries and did not condem God. Bible evidence shows he did just that, all the while, as human beings, we have incredible sympathy for poor Job. His losses were many more than ours and we can relate on some level to his incredible sorrow.

I cannot belabor this point. It is clear as day to me and it does not contradict anything Scripture says or the Spirit of Prophecy through expansion of the same. 

Dora

« Reply #98 on: November 27, 2007, 10:39:06 AM »
So, if Job did sin in his interaction with God, what do we do with what God says about him in Job 42:8?
Dora

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #99 on: November 27, 2007, 11:30:21 AM »
As we believe these verses from the last book of Job are an accurate, progressive account of the conversation God had with Job and Job's three miserable friends, note verses 7 and 8 are after Job repented. After we repent, God remembers our sins no more - they are cast "into the depths of the sea" - as if they never happened.

Job was rejustified, reconciled with the Father.

As for Job's friends, God sent them on a mission to sacrifice, their forgiveness is yet future in this verse. Job's is in the past, though it be the immediate past.

Job 42:1  Then Job answered the LORD, and said,
Job 42:2  I know that thou canst do every thing, and that no thought can be withheld from thee.
Job 42:3  Who is he that hideth counsel without knowledge? therefore have I uttered that I understood not; things too wonderful for me, which I knew not.
Job 42:4  Hear, I beseech thee, and I will speak: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me.
Job 42:5  I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee.
Job 42:6  Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.
Job 42:7  And it was so, that after the LORD had spoken these words unto Job, the LORD said to Eliphaz the Temanite, My wrath is kindled against thee, and against thy two friends: for ye have not spoken of me the thing that is right, as my servant Job hath.
Job 42:8  Therefore take unto you now seven bullocks and seven rams, and go to my servant Job, and offer up for yourselves a burnt offering; and my servant Job shall pray for you: for him will I accept: lest I deal with you after your folly, in that ye have not spoken of me the thing which is right, like my servant Job.