Author Topic: Motives  (Read 5171 times)

M.A. Crawford

• http://
Motives
« on: January 19, 2001, 06:47:00 AM »
As professed Christians, and as we near the end of time, the questions are: Why do we do what we do? What are our motives? Also, do we have the right motives at heart when we do what we do? Are they according to God's Will? How do we know? I believe these are very important questions we all need to consider as we prepare for the coming of the Lord.

A Christian is defined as one who follows after the Example of Christ. Are we following after that Example in EVERY DEPARTMENT of our lives, or in just the ones that appeal to us, or are convenient?

M.A.

M.A.

Liane H

Motives
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2001, 08:10:00 AM »
Self is the center of our sinful nature. It is the hardest to give up and the greatest enemy next to Satan.

Free Will came with a price and that price has been paid dearly in many lost souls because of self and sin.

We all come to Christ the first time imperfect and flawed, our motives selfish due to either pain, illness or a realization that life is just not working. Our motives are more from self interest than with love for Jesus, but if we keep on that road, self will die and Christ begins a work in you for the duration of your life.

What transforms us, is the surrendering of self and a renewing of the Spirit of Life within us that draws us even closer to Him as we walk this road called the Christian life experience.

For some, this road seems to be very easy, a straight path right to Jesus, for many of us, it is a strange path, with turns, backsteps and stallings in the road. Yet if we let Christ reach to our very being, we will continue onward and upward to perfection.

Our motives become more pure as we see the selfless life that Christ lived in His humanity and we become like Him. Our motives and desires no longer matter, but Christ in us.

For many this road is a struggle and we sometimes get bruised along the way, but if we persist, we will achieve the ultimate experience with a deep and abiding relationship with Him that gave all for us.

Yes in the beginning our motives may have been selfish, get me out of this mess, but as we continue, our motives become what can I do for others.

Liane

Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

M.A. Crawford

Motives
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2001, 06:19:00 AM »
Thank you, Sis. Liane for your very excellent comments. Yes, the road to pure and selfless motives is a constant struggle for us all because oftentimes the Holy Spirit wants to leads us in a direction that self does not want to go. An example we all as Christians experience from time to time is when He tells us to treat others right although they may not treat us right. In such a case as this, rather than do what Christ would do, the natural tendency is to try to "get even" because it is our nature to want satisfaction. Therefore the natural reaction is to retaliate in response to wrongs done to us.

Yes, the road to Christlike motives is a struggle and we sometimes do get bruised along the way. Life is cruel and unkind because some of the people we encounter are cruel and unkind. Life is unfair because some people are unfair.  

We live in a world where the enemy of souls rules FOR THE TIME BEING. Therefore evil shall continue to abound until Christ returns and destroys sin and all sinners. Until that time Christ expects for us as Christians to HOLD ON just a little while longer because "...He that shall come will come, and will not tarry" (Heb. 10:37).

M.A.      

M.A.

M.A. Crawford

Motives
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2001, 06:27:00 AM »
In reference to motives, if one were to ask why do we do what we do, I am sure many would say: We do what we do as Christians because we love the Lord. Many sing a song loudly and fervently entitled "Oh, How I Love Jesus," but Jesus says in His Word: "If you love me, keep my commandments" (Matt. 14:15). Therefore, the Lord, AND NOT THEOLOGIANS, has established the criterion for determining if we truly love Him. He says if we love Him, we will keep His Commandments.  

As a result of all this, the Lord Himself has established the TRUE MOTIVE as to why we do what we do unto salvation. IT IS LOVE. In other words, if we truly love God, IT WILL BE DEMONSTRATED. We will do whatever God asks us to do in His Word without reservation.

WE DO NOT DO WHAT WE DO TO BE SAVED. Salvation is a gift of God which no one can earn. A Christian does what he/she does because that individual loves the Lord and is desirous of pleasing Him in every way. Christians do what they do--not to be saved--but, because THEY ARE SAVED.

M.A.

M.A.

M.A. Crawford

Motives
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2001, 06:27:00 AM »
"...Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me...." Isaiah 29:13.

Do we really understand what God is saying as it applies to our lives? My experiences over the years have shown me that many Seventh-day Adventists can talk religion perhaps better than those of any other denomination. With the writings of Ellen G. White and other authors, this church has a vast storehouse of theological utterances on just about any subject imaginable. If religious verbosity were the primary prerequisite for entering God's Kingdom, just about all would qualify. But Isaiah 29:13 tells me that a religious facade based upon words does not impress God. A now retired pastor once said in a sermon that: "God is not interested in our talk; He's interested IN OUR WALK!"

How can we say we love God up there WHOM WE HAVE NOT SEEN, and can't get along with some we have seen DOWN HERE? 1 John 4:20. From the standpoint of being saved, it just simply does not compute!

The Lord is trying to bring to our attention things that are inconsistent with His Will and are dangerous to our salvation. One who is wise will heed the promptings of the Holy Spirit and eliminate from his every day living all that is not pleasing in God's Sight. I am thoroughly convinced that our attitudes and motives as to HOW WE TREAT ONE ANOTHER as professed followers of Christ are especially of interest to Him.

M.A.

M.A.

Allan F

Motives
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2001, 08:21:00 AM »
Thank you for the last posting, Crawford. We really have a vast storehouse of theological knowledge as Seventh Day Adventists. Still, it is possible to sum it up into this: "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind", and "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself" (Math 22:37-40).
This is the very foundation of the christian life, and it is simple to understand,
even for children. When we stand on this foundation, our motives will be right.

Jesus, our saviour and great example showed us, with His life, that this is the best way for us to live.

But in order to come to the point where I love God and my neighbour with all my heart
and all my mind, I need to understand that my good motives (to be a lovely person), is not enough. I may love my friends and people that I like, and it may seem like I have the right motives and thus stand on the firm foundation. But I will not be able to love my enemy and love God when he tells me to do something that I really don't want to do.

Only God can give us what is needed. And when he creates a new heart in us, we will live according to these two principles.
They are not a goal which we struggle towards through life. It IS the life.
The struggle is to not let anything lead us away from Jesus.

Allan F

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Motives
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2001, 08:43:00 AM »
Amen, Brother Allan!  :)

If we will cling to the hand of Jesus, if we will desire Him above all things, then we may claim His promise that He will not allow us to be tempted beyond that which we can bear. Such a promise!

In His love and grace,   Richard

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

M.A. Crawford

Motives
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2001, 07:11:00 AM »
I read a very interesting article entitled "Can There Be Unity In Diversity" which appeared on pp. 51-58 in the Summer, 2000 edition of Adventists Affirm and was written by Elder Richard W. O'Ffill who is the Adult Ministries Director and Revivalist for the Florida Conference. I felt that sharing the high points of this article in this post would be a blessing to those who are likeminded and have not read it. Excerpts from it are written below:

"...The purpose of this article is not to say whether we should admit diversity or if we should respect diversity but rather to ask whether we should emphasize diversity at the expense of unity. To put it in plain language, the question is, Shall we dwell on that which makes us different or shall we seek to find what we have in common? Correctly answering this question is... indispensible for the mission--if not the very existence--of our church.

"We used to say that a person who traveled around the world could visit any Seventh-day Adventist church anywhere and find they were all the same. It would be safe to say that in more and more instances this is no longer true. Though we still have many things in common, in many places the hallmarks that once identified us are being painted out, and in certain places there are even attempts to remodel the 'church' as we have known it.

"Our church was established with unique doctrines. It was these doctrines that made us different from the churches from which we originated. To be a Seventh-day Adventist was to be different from the rest. But becoming a member of the church was a personal decision. A person was not forced into it. In fact, those interested were given a series of studies which clearly outlined what it means to be a Seventh-day Adventist Christian. If any of them discovered they couldn't accept the fundamental beliefs of this church, they simply didn't become members and that was that.

"...People have told me that in times past you could almost recognize Adventists by the way they looked and acted. It was as if there was something about their faces that made them stand out from the society at large.

"I am not sure to what extent this may be true today. Generally there seems to be LESS AND LESS DISTINCTION between the average Adventist and the average person in the street (Emphasis mine throughout this article).

"I believe this is the result of what happens when we begin to emphasize the part and no longer the whole, to emphasize WHAT MAKES US DIFFERENT rather than what we have in common.

"...I am convinced that the Adventist church is shooting itself in the head if we continue to emphasize our diversity the way we have been doing in recent years.  

"Though the body is made up of many parts, the hand is not the body, neither is the leg nor the eye. Yet the hand and the eye are necessary if the body is to be complete. The issue is not that the body should ignore the hand or that the hand demand that the body care for it, no matter what happens to the eye. The issue arises when the hand THINKS OF ITS OWN INTERESTS and forms an alliance with all the other hands. The hands then become what we would call a special interest group. No longer do they think of the best interest of the body but only of the best interest of the hands.

"Friend, the unity of the church is an important part of what the gospel is all about. Listen to the prayer of Jesus in John 17:21, 'That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may know that thou hast sent me.'

"The rebellion in heaven was about division. The gospel is about restoring unity....

"I am not saying that the church has no unity. Yet I think that if we are honest with ourselves we will recognize that we are increasingly united in the sense that we are agreeing to disagree. It is now OK to do your own thing. There are now agendized groups in the church whose worldview is 'us, we, ours, me, myself, and I.' It seems as though our church as a whole is being taught that we must not judge anybody or anything, and that if we are to be truly compassionate, the will of the agendized part must be done no matter what effect it will have in the long run on the well-being of the whole body of Christ.

"There must be an answer that is in harmony with the will of God. Consider this: The body of Christ should be concerned with each individual part of the church. On the other hand, each individual part of the church should not think of itself ONLY but rather of the well-being of the body. I believe here is where we have gotten off the track. If I follow the way things are going now, I will think only of myself and my group, and I will expect everyone else to do the same.

"We tend more and more to see things in a political perspective. Politics is opportunistic and self-serving. Even when we choose leaders for the church we are inclined to do it on the basis of representation. I have not yet found any biblical text recommending that we choose committees based on gender, race, postal address, or age. What I have found are texts that establish criteria for leadership within the church, and taken as a whole they tend to be overwhelmingly based on spiritual considerations.

"The members of the committees that govern our churches and organizations should not be chosen because they live in a particular part of the conference or because they represent one group or another. The criterion that Scripture says should be the qualification of leaders is their SPIRITUAL DEVELOPMENT AND GODLY CHARACTERS. It is possible for a person to have political and organizational skills and not be born again.

"...We are diverse and we will always be. We cannot be united in our diversity but in spite of our diversity; such unity will not be based upon compromise or consensus but in Christ through His Word.

"As we prepare for the society of heaven, we must not only learn to get along with each other, we must actually become one. Though we are not the same, we must be complementary and supportive of the whole. Those within the church who are trying to dominate the church or change the church TO FIT THEIR VIEW are at odds with the principle on which the church as the body of Christ is founded.

"There can be no doubt that Satan is trying to exploit our differences. He is trying TO DIVIDE US so that he can conquer us. Though we have permanent differences, we do have one thing in common--our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and His Word. We must not celebrate our differences; we must celebrate the unity we have in Him who is our head, yea in Him who is our life and our all, for in Him we live and move and have our being.

"To Him and to Him alone be glory in the church, now and forevermore, amen and amen."

M.A.    

M.A.

jherbertthompson

Motives
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2001, 02:21:00 PM »
Hello!  At the risk that this topic has died, I have the following thoughts regarding it...
Motive gives character to action; the worst possible senario would be to hear "depart from me ye worker's of iniquity..."  How could this be?  :o

As a new SDA Christian it somewhat alarms me that in many SDA church's I have been in over a period of time since my baptism, I must candidly suggest that there are "several God's" which I see apparently served.  ???

Additionally, I have found that in "personal ministries", there quite often seems to be that "who's doing more, and where" attitude.
As though we're racing through life "gathering points" so-to-speak?

I'll wait to see if there remain any who may wish to continue on this thread.

Until then, remember:  Everyone you meet is on God's MOST WANTED LIST!