Author Topic: Warning!! Buying HD DVD?  (Read 3351 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Warning!! Buying HD DVD?
« on: February 19, 2008, 02:38:19 PM »
HD is here. So the switch to HD recorders and players has begun. The prices are coming down.

Do not buy a HD DVD player, recorder, or disk. The format is dead. Blu-ray won the format battle. There were two formats just as there was with VHS/Beta video tapes and R-/R+ DVDs. HD DVD and Blu-ray were the formats. Toshiba announced today they will cease production of the HD DVDs. End of story. Sadly, some already have the machines and disks. :(

Just a  little heads up to keep anyone else from buying into the dead format!    They are being shipped in computers now.....so take a close look when buying a new computer!!! Make sure the player or recorder will work with Blu-ray, not just HD DVD.

Don't buy a HD DVD player, recorder, or disks!!  They are obsolete! BluRay is the format that won the battle. Toshiba announced today they will cease production on HD DVD. 

Here is an article on the Sony victory source

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
Re: Warning!! Buying HD DVD?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 07:49:30 PM »
I've been reading about this, but don't know exactly how it affects me. I don't have a DVD player hooked up, though I have one, not new though. It's a couple of years old. But it played whatever DVD we put in it. But about my computer. I just looked to see what my DVD/CD recorder is. Is it affected by this decision to discontinue HD? The name of my device doesn't mean a thing to me. When I was researching what I wanted in a new computer, it didn't even occur to me to look for differences in DVD formats.  :o
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 09:33:17 PM »
The technology is changing rapidly. DVDs are old tech now. The new disk technology is needed to record the new High Definition video signal being broadcast. The size of the HD video file is much larger than the DVD format requiring a larger disk, thus the High Definition recorders, players, and disks.

But, like the VHS/Beta and R-/R+ competition we have two newly developed High Definition formats, HD DVD and Blu-ray format. But, today the HD DVD called it quits.....after being on the market for a short time. 

DVD units are not affected by this. They will continue to be used for a long time. The cost of DVD is much cheaper and will suffice for data and non HD video. Hope this helps.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 01:31:06 PM »
It does. Since I'm not watching movies on my computer (or anywhere else for that matter) I can keep on making back-up DVDs.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 09:11:28 AM »
I told my son a few weeks ago that Blu-ray was going to be the format. I didn't know that he had bought a HD player, so he was a bit dismayed to find it was going to be obsolete.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 09:15:00 AM »
I would try and return it to the store he bought it from, if it were me. It won't hurt to try. :)