Author Topic: Lesser Light What does it mean  (Read 66910 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Lesser Light What does it mean
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2003, 08:26:00 PM »
Many will prophesy and many will have dreams, but I would be surprised if any would come in the power and Spirit of Elijah as did Ellen White. It would indeed be a blessing, but the light is so bright and the days remaining so few, that I rejoice to have the light and sorrow because of it's rejection. It seems that if we would walk in the light we have, Jesus would be here in a moment.

What are your thoughts, Brother Ralph?

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dugald T Lewis MD

• Moderator at Rest
    • http://www.drdugaldlewis.com
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2003, 12:14:00 PM »
Ralph has raised a point that lingers in the mind of some SDA's.

My thinking is that as a church organization, we have openly rejected the visions that she received on health. This leaves questions in my mind regarding the need for another prophet. He or she will also be rejected because of the overwhelming influences of those who are motivated by greed, money,and deception. Those influences have sadly inflitated our church organization.      

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2003, 08:14:00 AM »
While God sent a prophet with great light to point to the Bible, when this light is rejected, why would God send even greater light? It seems to me that what is needed is not greater light, but a message that will awaken a sleeping church. I think we have that message and it needs to be heard coming from the lips of consecrated Christians.

The message is applicable to all Christian churches. Where are the Christians with the discernment to understand and give the message? The "Lesser Light" pointed to the message given by Christ in the "Greater Light."  It can be found in the third chapter of the Book of Revelation.

There is no need of a prophet to come in the power and Spirit of Elijah to tell us the message and to tell us it is present truth. Just a consecrated Christian that has the love of Jesus in the heart and who will follow the Holy Spirit's leading. Let us hear this message coming forth from hundreds and thousands.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2003, 09:58:00 AM »
Speaking on the subject of not walking in the light that God has sent to His people, we have a new forum "Laodicea". The subject is that of the message found in Revelation 3:15-22. It describes the condition of God's church today and the promise of revival for those who will avail themselves of the counsel given in those verses.

Suzanne

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2003, 09:53:00 AM »
The book: Messenger of the Lord, by Herbert E. Douglass, should be required reading by every SDA. I read it several years ago and was totally engrossed. It covers most everything about our prophet, in a way that is both interesting and informative. Don't let the almost 600 pages turn you off. I read 10-plus pages each day until I finished it.

~Suzanne~  

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2003, 01:35:00 PM »
How can I buy this book? I would like to send it to my son. However, being that he is so busy the book may be too large to interest him, I don't know. What is the U.S information on it?

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

byron s

• http://
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2003, 06:06:00 AM »
The book can be purchased or read online on the E.G. White Estates web site.
The Adventist Book Center also carries it.

Mark Anthony

« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2003, 02:03:00 PM »
I am enjoying this forum

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2003, 12:05:00 AM »
I have read almost all of the 6 large books on her life (Commentary size) so I have a feeling I am getting the same thing there. They too are very interesting and hard to put down.  :)

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2003, 08:12:00 AM »
We are happy to have you with us, Brother Mark.  As you can see the topics are not spread out in every direction, but those that we hope are "present truth". If you want to discuss a topic that is not already here, suggest it to Brother Crawford and he can open it for us. We have done this to keep things in some kind of order.  :) The topics and their posts in this forum do not get deleted.

rb1844

« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2003, 03:26:00 AM »
"The book: Messenger of the Lord, by Herbert E. Douglass, should be required reading by every SDA."

I have ordered it this week. Look forward to reading it, Thank yu for your suggestion

Ralph Myers

• http://666beast.net
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2003, 05:01:00 PM »
Hi Richard,
In a previous post to me on page three you wrote: "While God sent a prophet with great light to point to the Bible, when this light is rejected, why would God send even greater light? It seems to me that what is needed is not greater light, but a message that will awaken a sleeping church. I think we have that message and it needs to be heard coming from the lips of consecrated Christians."

It isn't greather light that God sends at the end, but a special light that is new and relevant to the specifics of the last day events. We have yet to proclaim the third angel's message with the loud cry. The "new" light to come, could not have been penned by Ellen White. It will apply to the specifics of the last generation and of events yet to come. This is the last generation that is alive today.
Ralph Myers

Ralph Myers
'Vantage

Ralph Myers

• http://666beast.net
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2003, 05:24:00 PM »
(Rather than an edit...)
I should add that the new light is not come because the light given by Ellen White was rejected. It is because it does not contain information regarding all the details of the last days. Such information could not have been written 100 years ago.

God acts, but before that, He chooses a person to voice His message of the events to come. Thus a "prophet" or "messenger" is raised up. That messenger gives the people the message God gave him, and the fact of being a prophet does not necessarily enter into the message. The people do not need to know that so-and-so is a prophet...they just need to focus on the message delivered.

There are many instances where God has raised up individuals and given them the gift of prophecy for a specific and local time and event. They are not afterward carrying new messages to the people. They may have a message for one a few individuals.

I do not feel comfortable with the statement that God will send Elijah the prophet, and that is applied to a movement of people under the Ellen White banner. Ellen White's message was not the "Elijah" message. William Miller did more of that than Ellen White did. Ellen has served a different capacity of nurturing an infant church, and this was not alone. Many are the pioneers that ought to be remembered for their part in the development of our church.

I see an accuracy on the part of all true prophecy, and I cringe when it is downplayed by calling a "movement" as the fulfillment of a coming person so named...Elijah.

It would be as easy for God to have inspired that His prophet would write; Behold, I shall send the message of Elijah..."

Why do we stand saying "right on" (1844) "exact!" (day for a year) and perrrr...fect!! to certain prophecies, but are willing to "round the corners" of others in order to make them fit our preconceived ideas?

We are admonished to know the Bible, and to use that to establish our faith on, and to appeal to others in our witness.

If Ellen White was to be that "Elijah" then it would be suggested to us that we use her writings to give to the world. But that is not the case. We are told that these writings are for us within the church. The Elijah message, is one that is to be heralded to the whole world.
Ralph Myers

Ralph Myers
'Vantage

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
Re: Lesser Light What does it mean
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2008, 07:20:21 PM »
Lesser & Greater Light - A comparison of the Sun and Moon.   When times are dark, the sun's light is not seen,  and the only guidance left is the moon.

Christ said it best.     

"Deuteronomy 8:3  And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live.
Matt 4:4  But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
Luke 4:4  And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

But you may say - you said Christ and in one of the verses you quoted Moses.

My point exactly - who said it first... Moses......??, Moses was just a messenger who passed it on something communicated from someone else.

Then what about the Inuit Eskimo prophet - Maniilaq  ?   An EGW/Moses with the everlasting gospel/present truth to his people before we got there.

Then what about the "little Bushman"  that Southern Publishing wrote about in the late 60's or early 70's - whom Gabriel taught the SDA message and spoken languages in one night - and sent him to look for the three books that are really nine  (when the testimonies were bound in 3 vol's ?

then what about the South American Jungle chief, whom Gabriel taught - the missionaries came and discovered a - Sabbath keeping, fully clothed, basically (pre-baptism) but fully SDA native village, because the man in shining clothes talks to our chief at night  ?

Light is not light in the lesser, it is the moon the good woman stands upon in a dark time;  and without sunlight coming from above the darkness the moon would have nothing.

John 8:12  Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

John 9:5  As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.

My parting questions are - where is Jesus physically  ?    Then who would reflect if He chose them ,  would not messengers fit the bill ?       (as long as...) Mt 5:14   - some are tiny icicle, some 40 watt, some 3 way, some halogen,  some 1,000,000,000 watt search lights,  but all derive from WHO ?

BTW- John the Baptist came in the spirit and power of Elijah, but he did no miracles or slay any prophets of baal with, a metal weapon, he used words, he ushered in the Christ and the end of the old system.  EGW also came in the spirit and power of Elijah.   Due to lack of faith Elijah had to appoint Elisha to finish the work he had been given to finish, not more miracles, but nationwide revival/reformation, and a godly educational system.   I am sure parallels can be drawn.    Things were supposed to finish in her day,  not her fault - their's then -  ours now.
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2008, 07:28:27 AM »
Amen!  Very well said. God will have many "lesser lights" before  it is over!

T James

« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2009, 06:32:09 PM »
What a wonderful forum!  I have enjoyed reading this particular thread as a way to open the Sabbath and as a way to "fellowship" with true Adventist believers.

I would like to add two of my own thoughts to this thread as a way of making my entrance into this community  :) :

1.  I am like many of you here, it appears.  I was born and raised into a wonderful Adventist family, and was very familiar with the writings of EGW, even at a young age.  But it was not until my junior year of high school that I really discovered Mrs White for myself.  A very Godly Bible teacher by the name of Elder Wuttke required his students to pick a topic from the SOP and write 100 quotes from her writings on that particular topic.  It seemed like an onerous task, but I set out to research the Time of Trouble.  Naturally that took me to the Great Controversy.  I was already familiar with the book, but had never truly "read" it.  Now, while looking for quotes, I found myself drawn into it.  I quite literally could NOT put that book down.  I skipped visits with friends, I read into the night, day after day, until I had read it all.  And when I finished, I had a joy in my heart which I could not express.  I wanted to run out and tell people; "Jesus is coming!  Jesus is Coming!!"  I think I would have were there any people to tell.  Being in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, I had only the trees to talk to  ::)

Since that time I have read and re-read the SOP.  What a WONDERFUL gift God has given us through her!  Even though I had been baptized years before, I count that moment as the moment I truly became excited for Jesus!

2.  Being a teacher today in the same role as Elder Wuttke (though in a different location and certainly with much smaller shoes), I have the opportunity to require the same project of my students.  And this is something important I want all of you to hear.  A large portion of my students are neutral towards the SOP.  It used to be that many of them had a strong bias against her (which I believe came from the views of parents), but today it's just neutrality.  I think that parents are not even saying anything about the SOP...it's like it's been put on the back shelf and forgotten..."out of sight, out of mind", if you will.  Well, when they do this project, the most common response I get (they also write a reaction paper) is JOY!  So many of them say they had NO idea that her writings were so interesting and inspiring.  It's a wonderful thing to see teenagers realize that there is a wonderful gift to the Remnant.

Happy Sabbath to everyone, and I look forward to more blessings and insights in these forums.

T James
"Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look upon the earth beneath: for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke, and the earth shall wax old like a garment, and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner: but my salvation shall be for ever, and my righteousness shall not be abolished" Is 51:6

Brian M

« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2009, 06:34:52 PM »
T James,

That is encouraging to hear. Better for the parents to let the SOP fall by the wayside than to openly oppose it. What a blessing for you to share with us the the students are finding Joy in the SOP.

Thanks for sharing that,

Brian
Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. Psalm 119:18

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2009, 07:21:51 PM »
Brother T James: I just love that testimony! Do share more with us as you feel you can. What a joy it must be to experience, first hand, minds light up in excitement. The Spirit of Prophecy has to be the most fascinating read, as the lesser light to Scripture. You are blest to have that experience.

We just heard Elder Pipim at the Michigan Campmeeting explain what happened to many of those parents. Postmodernism and a decline in a belief of absolute truth. Society has saturated itself with it and what happens in the world is brought into the homes and then into the church. Everything is relative, even truth. That may explain it.

Welcome to the forum, dear Brother!  :) We are very happy to have another Bible instructor in our midst.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

T James

« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2009, 07:32:11 PM »
Sybil,

Happy Sabbath, and thank you for your reply.  I have just finished reading Dr. Pipim's book - the second time.  I think he is right on track.  I'm sorry I wasn't able to attend the Michigan Campmeeting this year.  I sure do miss it.  I no longer live in that wonderful state.

If I get the chance I will look for some of the student's reactions regarding the Spirit of Prophecy and share them with you all.  They are certainly encouraging given the amount of negative and disappointing news we hear about our youth today!

Blessings!

T James
"Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look upon the earth beneath: for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke, and the earth shall wax old like a garment, and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner: but my salvation shall be for ever, and my righteousness shall not be abolished" Is 51:6

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2009, 07:57:10 PM »
Well, Hope Video has blest us with recordings from that campmeeting here: http://www.hopevideo.com/camp_meeting_2009.htm

I wasn't there, but we got to see most of the presentations and we can download the them for our edification! What a blessing it has been!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89