Author Topic: The Ten Virgins  (Read 78556 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
The Ten Virgins
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2002, 04:23:00 PM »
It is always a blessing to read inspired thoughts that touch upon our discussion. The following is from Signs of the Times 11-05-94.

The sad fate of the five foolish virgins, presented in the parable of the ten virgins, is recorded to warn those who, while professing the faith of Christ, have become cold and backslidden.

The five foolish virgins represent the careless, indolent, self-satisfied professor of religion. They have a calm expectation of entering heaven sometime, yet they have not purified their souls by obeying the truth. They understand the theory of truth, but have no vital connection with God. They trust to feeling, and neglect to search the Scriptures. They are satisfied to walk in sparks of their own kindling. We are all exhorted to be diligent, that we make our calling and election sure. But I am greatly troubled, fearing, yes, knowing, that there are many who profess the truth who are not testing their lives and characters by God's great moral standard of righteousness. They are careless; they have not the oil of grace in their vessels with their lamps. They are cherishing hidden sins, which no human eye can see. They know that they are not pure and without spot, and should diligently seek God, that they may cleanse themselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the sight of God.

There are many ideas in the world as to what is sin. The deist says that sin is dishonesty, a lack of patriotism, honour, and manliness. Those who have little idea as to what constitutes religion will tell you that sin is murder, adultery, robbery, and crime. But what does the word of God define it to be? John writes, "Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law; for sin is the transgression of the law." Without the law we have no knowledge of what sin is. Those who have no respect for the law will be deceived by entertaining hopes of entering heaven.

God's law not only covers every deed of outward life, but also penetrates to the intents and purposes of the heart. He who does not yield to the claims of the law of God, sets himself above God, breaks away from God's rule of right, and becomes disloyal, as did the great deceiver in the beginning. Would that some who claim to be commandment keepers could see how their cases stand in the register above. Oh, that all who are falling short of the principles of righteousness might realize that they do not meet the broad, far-reaching claims of the law of God upon them! Repentance for sin is the first step in conversion. Repentance is an intense hatred of sin in all its forms. Phariseeism permits of self-complacency, and those who are self-righteous appear to have a form of piety, but at heart they are corrupt. They may talk of their hope of heaven, when, in fact, they have not taken the first step toward heaven.

We are not under a system of mere requirements, mere justice, and unsympathizing rigour. The penalty of transgressing the law has fallen upon our Substitute and Surety, and for a time has been suspended, so that the guilty do not feel its weight; but the object of this suspension is not to teach us that its claims are over, its exactions set aside, but to attract us to holiness, to obedience. Nothing is changed except the manner of bringing men to obey the law. Obey its claims we must. The first step toward obedience is repentance. We are to see the excellence of its requirements by beholding the wrong of disobedience.

He who is truly repentant, he who is regenerated, hates sin. All manner of selfishness is distressing to him. But those who are but superficial Christians seek to exalt self by depreciating others. The clearer the views of the character of Christ, the more humble will be our views of self. Like Job, Isaiah, Daniel, David, and Paul, we shall feel that our comeliness is turned in us into corruption.

Those who are represented by the foolish virgins have not the sense of their own unworthiness. They have no oil in their vessels with their lamps. The same principles of truth are presented in the parable of the two builders; one built upon the rock, and the other upon the sand. Jesus says: "Whosoever heareth these saying of Mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock; and the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not; for it was founded upon a rock. And everyone that heareth these sayings of Mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand; and the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell; and great was the fall of it."

It is not a matter of little consequence to us as to how we hear and how we treat the truth of God. To misunderstand the truth, or fail to appreciate it, because we do not cherish light that comes to us, will be to build upon the sand. The wise builder builds upon the Rock Christ Jesus, no matter what may be the inconvenience. He builds not upon human, but upon divine merit, accepting the righteousness of Christ as his own, and as his only hope of salvation. The foolish builder built upon the sand, and through his carelessness, or prejudice, or through the deceptions of the natural heart, he cherishes a self-righteous spirit, and places human wisdom in the place where God's wisdom should have the supremacy; and how terrible are the consequences!

There are many unwise builders, and when the storm of temptation comes and beats upon them, it is made evident that their foundation is only sliding sand. They are left in gross darkness, without faith, without principles, and without foundation. The five foolish virgins had a real interest in the gospel. They knew what was the perfect standard of righteousness; but their energies were paralysed with self-love; for they lived to please and glorify themselves, and had not the oil of grace in their vessels with which to replenish their lamps. They were often distressed by the enemy, who knew their weakness, and placed darkness before them in the semblance of light. Truth, precious, life-giving truth, appeared to them as unessential, and Satan took advantage of their blindness, ignorance, and weakness of faith, and they had a fluctuating experience, based on uncertain principles.

All who wait for the heavenly Bridegroom are represented in the parable as slumbering because their Lord delayed His coming; but the wise roused themselves at the message of His approach, and responded to the message, and their spiritual life was replenished. Their spiritual discernment was not all gone, and they sprang into line. As they took hold of the grace of Christ, their religious experience became vigourous and abundant, and their affections were set on things above. They discerned where was the source of their supply, and appreciated the love that God had for them. They opened their hearts to receive the Holy Spirit, by which the love of God was shed abroad in their hearts. Their lights were trimmed and burning, and sent forth steady rays into the moral darkness of the world. They glorified God, because they had grace in their hearts, and did the very work that their Master did before them,--went forth to seek and to save those who were lost.  

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

M.A. Crawford

• http://
The Ten Virgins
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2002, 11:21:00 AM »
"...and the wise roused themselves at the message of His approach, and responded to the message, and their spiritual life was replenished...."

I believe this is what happened in 1844 after the Great Disappointment. The "wise" were the remnant who were left (Ellen G. White, James White, Joseph Bates, and others) after those who had only a "bandwagon" religion (those who were along only for the "ride" and the excitement of the moment, who had only A SURFACE RELIGION which did not penetrate to the very core of their being) abandoned the litle flock. But what about today? Who are the wise today who have roused themselves and responded to the Three Angels' Message to fear God, give glory to Him, come out of Babylon, and receive not the mark of the beast? Mrs. White writes:

"In the issue of the great conflict, there will be only two classes of people in the world,--those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus, and those who worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark. Although church and state will unite their power to compel 'all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond,' to receive the mark of the beast; yet the people of God will not receive it. The prophet of Patmos beheld them 'that had gotten the victory over the beast, and over his image, and over his mark, and over the number of his name, stand on the sea of glass, having the harps of God,' and singing the song of Moses and the Lamb." (RH, July 28, 1904).

My point is: As Seventh-day Adventists, we know and are supposed to keep the Commandments of God, BUT WHAT ABOUT THE FAITH OF JESUS? Do we know and keep It? This is why it behooves ALL OF US who expect to be saved to VERY CAREFULLY AND PRAYERFULLY study our Bibles on a daily basis as we not only learn what the Faith of Jesus entails, but as we PUT THAT FAITH INTO PRACTICE each and every day of our lives! This is why the devil does not want us to study our Bibles as we should. He does not want us to learn what the Faith of Jesus is BECAUSE WE CANNOT PUT INTO PRACTICE THAT WHAT WE DO NOT KNOW!!! The devil wants us to end up like the five foolish virgins: UNPREPARED to meet the Lord in peace when He is seen coming in the Clouds of His Glory.

Friends, don't let the devil deceive you out of eternal life!

M.A.    

M.A.

Claudia Marie

The Ten Virgins
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2002, 07:19:00 AM »
If you want to do a really helpful study on what's the difference between a foolish virgin and a wise virgin, you should study the chapter in Christ's Object Lessons concerning the stony ground hearers:

TEN VIRGINS

"The class represented by the foolish virgins are not hypocrites. They have a regard for the truth, they have advocated the truth, they are attracted to those who believe the truth; but they have not yielded themselves to the Holy Spirit's working. They have not fallen upon the Rock, Christ Jesus, and permitted their old nature to be broken up.

This class are represented also by the stony-ground hearers.

They receive the word with readiness, but they fail of assimilating its principles. Its influence is not abiding. The Spirit works upon man's heart, according to his desire and consent implanting in him a new nature; but the class represented the foolish virgins have been content with a superficial work. They do not know God. They have not studied His character; they have not held communion with Him; therefore they do not know how to trust, how to look and live. Their service to God degenerates into a form." COL 411

STONY GROUND HEARERS

http://www.egwestate.andrews.edu/col/col2.html

Claudia

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
The Ten Virgins
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2002, 08:55:00 AM »
Amen, Sister Claudia.  Good to see you posting.  :)

We are indeed studying the stony ground hearer. It would be a blessing to have you join our study of the The Sower in the King of Kings Forum.  Such a blessing to have truth presented in such a simple manner.

Richard

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Randy S

The Ten Virgins
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2002, 09:55:00 AM »
It is important to remember that God's Church and the Seventh-day Adventist Church are not one in the same.  The virgins are all those who profess to be members of God's Church.  Some truly are and some are not (wise/foolish).

In reality God's Church is made up not only of all the faithful who ever lived on this earth, regardless of denomination, but it is also made up of all loyal angels and unfallen beings from other worlds.  I see the procession of the wedding party as beginning in heaven when Jesus receives his kingdom and proceeding to the earth where Jesus will raise the loyal members of his church and take them home.  The call comes from the wedding party which consists of those members of his church, the angels/unfallen beings, whom we so often forget about.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
The Ten Virgins
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2002, 10:35:00 AM »
Very well put, Brother Randy. But, does not God have a denominated people besides the "body of Christ" which is not denominated? Is He not leading His people into one fold (denomination)?

Richard

Randy S

The Ten Virgins
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2002, 05:17:00 PM »
I believe that the Seventh-day Adventist Church is the denomination that most fully teaches the truth as revealed in God's word.  If I did not believe that I would not be a member.  I just wanted to point out that there are many members of God's church such as the patriarchs and prophets of the Old Testament, the apostles of the New Testament, the faithful throughout the persecution of the middle ages, the loyal angels in heaven, the unfallen worlds throughout the universe, and even those alive today who are living up to the light they currently have, none of whose names have ever appeared on the SDA membership books, but who are members of God's church.

I believe that the Seventh-day Adventist Church is an organization created by God to carry forward a special work in these last days in which we live.  But God's church existed long before us and will exist long after this world ends.

I just didn't want to leave unchallenged the idea that the ten virgins only applied to  the SDA church as was stated earlier.  That would not only be unnecessarily exclusive but would also negate the meaning of the parable to the jews that were the audience in Jesus' day or the countless readers in the years prior to the formation of the SDA Church.  Indeed, I believe that many parables such as the story of the prodigal son were especially meaningful to the loyal angels in heaven and I think we sometimes forget that the history of this earth and the life of Jesus were also important in saving the unfallen beings and removing any doubts they might have had about the great controversy.

Consider this quote from EGW:

**The angels ascribe honor and glory to Christ, for even they are not secure except by looking to the sufferings of the Son of God. It is through the efficacy of the cross that the angels of heaven are guarded from apostasy. Without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan.**

I just offered my comments to speak to the question asked in the original post: "How is it that the 10 Virgins (who claim to be the bride/church) hear the voice of the bride?"  I'm just suggesting that since part of the church/kingdom currently resides with Jesus in heaven, and will doubtless be members of the wedding party accompanying the bridegroom, that the call of the bride to those of us (virgins) who claim to be part of God's church is quite reasonable.

[This message has been edited by Randy S (edited 07-13-2002).]

Ben

The Ten Virgins
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2002, 09:01:00 PM »
Wow, Randy..I have to say I agree completely with you...great post!

------------------
"Jonathan had not heard his father's charge to the people; and 'he put forth the end of the rod that was in his hand, and dipped it in an honeycomb, and put his hand to his mouth; and his eyes were enlightened.' His whole system was strengthened to do the work before him."  {YI, December 1, 1898 par. 6}

"Rev 10:10  And I took the little scroll out of the angel's hand, and devoured it. And it was sweet like honey in my mouth; and when I ate it, my belly was made bitter."

Joan

The Ten Virgins
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2002, 01:14:00 AM »
Amen! That's putting the issue in balance.

Joan

M.A. Crawford

The Ten Virgins
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2002, 10:48:00 AM »
I appreciate the insights Sis. Claudia presented, and want to comment briefly on the five foolish virgins from Christ's Object Lessons on p. 411:

"The class represented by the foolish virgins are not hypocrites. They have a regard for the truth, they have advocated the truth, they are attracted to those who believe the truth; but they have not yielded themselves to the Holy Spirit's working. They have not fallen on the Rock, Christ Jesus, and permitted their old nature to be broken up."

1."They have not yielded themselves to the Holy Spirit's working."

Doesn't that sound just like today? In other words, there are many who love to pontificate on truth and tell others how good it is to obey God's Truth, BUT THEY THEMSELVES HAVE NOT YIELDED TO THAT SAME TRUTH, NOR TO THE PROMPTINGS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT. They love to try to get the "microscopic speck" out of everyone else's eye, WHEN THEY HAVE A 2 BY 4 HANGING OUT OF THEIR OWN EYE!!! The Bible says of them:

"Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye." Matthew 7:5.

2. "They have not fallen upon the Rock, Christ Jesus, and permitted their old nature to be broken up."

Falling upon the Rock, Jesus Christ, and permitting our old nature to be broken up is symbolic to me of giving up the hardness of our hearts when we do not want SOME PORTIONS of the Word of God (which we do not like) to effect change in our lives BECAUSE OF THE "PET SINS" WE ARE UNWILLING TO GIVE UP. But the Bible tells us in no uncertain terms:

"...If any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold all things are become new." 2 Corinthians 5:17.

The Bible makes it very clear that, if we are TRULY in Christ, ALL THINGS HAVE BECOME NEW!!! Which includes, as stated above, the things we don't want to give up (such as occasionally losing our tempers and rendering evil for evil!). The Bible says WE HAVE TO LET THAT GO TOO, that is, if we want to be saved in God's Kingdom.

M.A.  

M.A.

Randy S

The Ten Virgins
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2002, 12:09:00 PM »
Brother Crawford, I love the quote you cited COL.  Mrs. White states that "The class represented by the foolish virgins are not hypocrites".  But by citing Matthew 7:5, which begins "Thou hypocrite...", you risk leaving the impression that Mrs. White is contradicting the Bible.

I think it may be better to consider what Mrs. White is saying makes the 5 virgins "foolish" if they weren't hypocrites.  In COL she points to the superficial nature of their walk with God, and references the text in 2 Timothy where it speaks of those who have a form of godliness but deny the power thereof.

I think she is really pointing out that it is not enough to be attracted to the gospel.  It's not enough to believe.  It's not enough to give yourself partially to God.  You have to go the whole way and accept the power of God to completely change one's heart and mind.  This idea which many have that we can wait until some "latter" time when God will work on our behalf to change our character is the dangerous trap spoken of in this parable.  It will not happen.  It will be too late then.  Now is the time.  And God has the power.  If only we would trust him, accept it, and decide to coopoerate with his transformation.

M.A. Crawford

The Ten Virgins
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2002, 10:59:00 AM »
1. 'They have not yielded themselves to the Holy Spirit's working.'

"Doesn't that sound just like today? In other words, there are many who love to pontificate on truth and tell others how good it is to obey God's Truth, BUT THEY THEMSELVES HAVE NOT YIELDED TO THAT SAME TRUTH, NOR TO THE PROMPTINGS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT. They love to try to get the 'microscopic speck' out of everyone else's eye, WHEN THEY HAVE A 2 BY 4 HANGING OUT OF THIER OWN EYE!!! The Bible says of them:

'"Thou hypocrite..."' Matthew 7:5.

I quoted the entire statement in question to show that I did not have reference to the five foolish virgins when I made the statement. In response to what Mrs. White said in quote No. 1 above, my statement began with the words: "Doesn't that sound just like today?" Therefore, when I said--"There are many who love to pontificate on truth," and "They love to try to get the 'microscopic speck' out of everyone else's eye"--IT WAS NOT IN REFERENCE TO THE FIVE FOOLISH VIRGINS. It was in reference to people today WHO ARE LIKE THE FIVE FOOLISH VIRGINS of the parable. Therefore, I used the Bible statement of "Thou hypocrite...." to refer to THE PEOPLE OF TODAY, who were the ones being discussed, and not to the five foolish virgins.

M.A.  

M.A.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
The Ten Virgins
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2002, 05:24:00 PM »
 Yes, Brother Randy, precisely. It is not enough to believe in the truth and to profess Christ. We must allow Jesus total control of our lives. There is no in-between. We are either His or we are not.  It is a theological issue in the church today. Sadly, but true.

Richard

Randy S

The Ten Virgins
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2002, 09:29:00 PM »
My apologies to Brother Crawford for misunderstanding his post.

Like Brother Richard, I have also noticed this theological tendency seems to be on the increase.  A hypocite says one thing and does another.  The foolish virgins say one thing and do nothing (or very little).  It's different but the results are just as deadly in terms of being lost.

In terms of salvation I seem to be hearing less teaching lately about the power of God to transform our characters and more emphasis placed on justification, as if the transformation from rebelliousness to loyal citizen of the kingdom were not required for salvation.  This can lead to ineffective "Christians" who don't have the power of the Spirit working in their lives.  The result is that we end up being "foolish virgins".  

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Ten Virgins
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2007, 02:44:53 PM »
A correct understanding of this parable will enable us to ask the correct questions to those that come teaching.  Be as the Noble Bereans and after listening to the preacher, go home and compare what was said with the Bible. Compare the teachings of "righteousness by faith" with what is being said in this parable and then go and ask the teacher if he agrees with what is being said in this parable.<P>Have you noticed that the parable of the wedding feast speaks to the same subject? And, have you noticed that the Seventh-day Adventist teaching on the investigative judgment brings both to light? And, one last thought; look at chapter 3 in the Book of Revelation and does not the message from Jesus to us as a people speak to the same issue?

It is time to study for ourselves that the Holy Spirit might be our teacher. Please share what He is revealing to you in regards to the parable of the ten virgins.

In His love and grace,    Richard

Exactly, Richard - they all tie together.

Reading in the Battle Creek San. Burns topic, I immediately thought of Revelation 3 and the message to Laodicea. Also in this topic is the question of who the five foolish virgins are to buy their oil from - again I thought of Revelation 3 showing they could have bought before it was too late but they are rich and in need of nothing.

For quick reference in this topic, here is the Biblical account of the parable:

Mat 25:1  Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
Mat 25:2  And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
Mat 25:3  They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
Mat 25:4  But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
Mat 25:5  While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
Mat 25:6  And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
Mat 25:7  Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
Mat 25:8  And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
Mat 25:9  But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
Mat 25:10  And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
Mat 25:11  Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
Mat 25:12  But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
Mat 25:13  Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2007, 03:11:25 PM »
I believe this loud cry is the Three Angel's Message of Revelation 14:6-12 which begins by warning us to "Fear God and give glory to him: for the hour of his judgement is come..." (vs. 7). I am convinced this is the last message of warning given to the world just prior to Christ's (the Bridegroom's) return.M.A. 

How about the angel of Revelation 18? He gives the message that lights up the earth - "Come out of her, my people," which is, in fact, the final warning.

Richard quoted MS16
"All the Christian world is represented in this parable. The bride constitutes the church that is waiting for the second appearing of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Some who have a nominal faith are not prepared for His coming. The oil of grace is not feeding their lamps, and they are not prepared to enter in to the marriage supper of the Lamb. The representation is such as to call forth our earnest study, that we may know what preparation we who are living in the last days are to make, that we may enter in and partake of the marriage supper of the Lamb. We are to accept the last message of mercy given to a fallen world: 'Blessed are they that do His commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.'" MR16  pg.268.

If the Christian world is represented in this parable, five wise (the remnant who are ready) and the rest of Christianity (where God has the majority of His people) representing the five foolish, would the message of Revelation 18 be the Loud Cry that is given in this pararble?

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2007, 04:24:35 PM »
The little book, Christ's Object Lessons has language of Revelation 18 relative to this parable, The Ten Virgins, in a chapter devoted it:

"The coming of the bridegroom was at midnight--the darkest hour. So the coming of Christ will take place in the darkest period of this earth's history. The days of Noah and Lot pictured the condition of the world just before the coming of the Son of man. The Scriptures pointing forward to this time declare that Satan will work with all power and "with all deceivableness of unrighteousness." 2 Thess. 2:9, 10. His working is plainly revealed by the rapidly increasing darkness, the multitudinous errors, heresies, and delusions of these last days. Not only is Satan leading the world captive, but his deceptions are leavening the professed churches of our Lord Jesus Christ. The great apostasy will develop into darkness deep as midnight, impenetrable as sackcloth of hair. To God's people it will be a night of trial, a night of weeping, a night of persecution for the truth's sake. But out of that night of darkness God's light will shine. 

"He causes "the light to shine out of darkness." 2 Cor. 4:6. When "the earth was without form, and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep," "the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light; and there was light." Gen. 1: 2, 3. So in the night of spiritual darkness, God's word goes forth, "Let there be light." To His people He says, "Arise, shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of the Lord is risen upon thee." Isa. 60:1. 

"Behold," says the Scripture, "the darkness shall cover the earth, and gross darkness the people; but the Lord shall arise upon thee, and His glory shall be seen upon thee." Isa. 60:2. 

"It is the darkness of misapprehension of God that is enshrouding the world. Men are losing their knowledge of His character. It has been misunderstood and misinterpreted. At this time a message from God is to be proclaimed, a message illuminating in its influence and saving in its power. His character is to be made known. Into the darkness of the world is to be shed the light of His glory, the light of His goodness, mercy, and truth."

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2007, 11:16:36 AM »
Let's look at that chapter in Christ's Object Lessons. It is one I believe we need to read a sentence at a time - therefore, I will post a couple of paragraphs, maybe three per page.

We are living in the time period of this parable. It is abounding in instruction. Let's dig into it!

Christ with His disciples is seated upon the Mount of Olives. The sun has set behind the mountains, and the heavens are curtained with the shades of evening. In full view is a dwelling house lighted up brilliantly as if for some festive scene. The light streams from the openings, and an expectant company wait around, indicating that a marriage procession is soon to appear. In many parts of the East, wedding festivities are held in the evening. The bridegroom goes forth to meet his bride and bring her to his home. By torchlight the bridal party proceed from her father's house to his own, where a feast is provided for the invited guests. In the scene upon which Christ looks, a company are awaiting the appearance of the bridal party, intending to join the procession. 

Lingering near the bride's house are ten young women robed in white. Each carries a lighted lamp and a small flagon for oil. All are anxiously watching for the appearance of the bridegroom. But there is a delay. Hour after hour passes; the watchers become weary and fall asleep. At midnight the cry is heard, "Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him." The sleepers, suddenly awaking, spring to their feet. They see the procession moving on, bright with torches and glad with music. They hear the voice of the bridegroom and the voice of the bride. The ten maidens seize their lamps and begin to trim them, in haste to go forth. But five have neglected to fill their flasks with oil. They did not anticipate so long a delay, and they have not prepared for the emergency. In distress they appeal to their wiser companions saying, "Give us of your oil; for our lamps are going out." (Margin.) But the waiting five, with their freshly trimmed lamps, have emptied their flagons. They have no oil to spare, and they answer, "Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves." 

While they went to buy, the procession moved on, and left them behind. The five with lighted lamps joined the throng and entered the house with the bridal train, and the door was shut. When the foolish virgins reached the banqueting hall, they received an unexpected denial. The master of the feast declared, "I know you not." They were left standing without, in the empty street, in the blackness of the night. 

As Christ sat looking upon the party that waited for the bridegroom, He told His disciples the story of the ten virgins, by their experience illustrating the experience of the church that shall live just before His second coming.

Greg Goodchild

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2007, 01:52:35 PM »
Thus again the cry was given, and the cry awakened the virgins - both wise and foolish. Since it is clearly not the world giving the cry, and it was not the virgins awakening themselves, it must be Jesus who again takes the initiative.

Dora

• For the battle is not yours, but God's.
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2007, 03:11:41 PM »
I just read that chapter in COL again this morning.  I had all of the questions that have been asked on here.  We are told that all ten virgins were sleeping, WHO gave the announcement that wakened them?  And, is this the beginning of the Loud Cry? Surely the Loud Cry has not yet occurred at this point in time, and the virgins went back to sleep?

If Jesus wakened the virgins (or will waken them) will it be by some event?  How do you think He will awaken them?  This parable has always been a puzzle to me.  Also, the question arises, who is the bride, and who are the wedding guests? 

Sorry...but on this one, all I have is a lot of questions...no answers.
Dora