Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--79--It is Finished  (Read 27432 times)

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--79--It is Finished
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2020, 06:01:37 AM »
Happy Sabbath to all. It's a glorious one here although rather cold still.

What a chapter of love, truth and promise. 

"Well, then, might the angels rejoice as they looked upon the Saviour's cross; for though they did not then understand all, they knew that the destruction of sin and Satan was forever made certain, that the redemption of man was assured, and that the universe was made eternally secure. Christ Himself fully comprehended the results of the sacrifice made upon Calvary. To all these He looked forward when upon the cross He cried out, "It is finished."
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2020, 07:21:41 AM »
"The plan of redemption having been completed, the character of God is revealed to all created intelligences. The precepts of His law are seen to be perfect and immutable. Then sin has made manifest its nature, Satan his character. Then the extermination of sin will vindicate God's love and establish His honor before a universe of beings who delight to do His will, and in whose heart is His law."

"Well, then, might the angels rejoice as they looked upon the Saviour's cross; for though they did not then understand all, they knew that the destruction of sin and Satan was forever made certain, that the redemption of man was assured, and that the universe was made eternally secure. Christ Himself fully comprehended the results of the sacrifice made upon Calvary. To all these He looked forward when upon the cross He cried out, "It is finished."

The Bible says... "Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them" (Hebrews 7:25).

"The warfare against God's law, which was begun in heaven, will be continued until the end of time. Every man will be tested. Obedience or disobedience is the question to be decided by the whole world. All will be called to choose between the law of God and the laws of men. Here the dividing line will be drawn. There will be but two classes. Every character will be fully developed; and all will show whether they have chosen the side of loyalty or that of rebellion."

When our probation closes - Which side will we be found on....Obedience or Disobedience?
Look up and listen for the shout.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2020, 05:02:50 AM »
It is wonderful how God speaks to us. Friday I videoed our church's sermon for broadcast during our online service the next morning. After the sermon I spoke with the presenter and explained that our "righteousness is as filthy rags" is not a description of the character of converted Christians as many teach. She did not think that the case. I was thankful, and explained that it is a popular teaching within the church and leads people to remain in Laodicean condition thinking that they are fine the way they are in sin. Afterall, it is the righteousness of Christ that covers our "defects of character," sin. Yesterday, Sabbath afternoon, the pastor said that we need to understand that Christ is not only our substitute, but our example. I believe what he was saying is that those who think Jesus is going to stand in our place in the judgment, need to understand that He gave us an example of what we are to be, obedience to all of the law.

This morning as I was reading the posts made yesterday, I reread what I posted last time we read this chapter. I have reposted it today. Why? Because the light we as a people need to today to meet Satan's sophistries is given in this chapter that we might be transformed in character so Jesus can come and take us home. He will not come until He has prepared a people to go through a time of trouble such as never was, without a Mediator. But, we do not hear this being preached from our pulpits are printed on our presses. Few understand this is the power of God's grace. And, so very many teach otherwise, that we are saved in sin.

I am going to add to what I said in my last post in this chapter, as my mind was led to see the beauty in what God has given us in this chapter. He wants to put an end to sin and suffering in this world. He is waiting on us.

Two Sabbaths ago I heard what sounded like a beautiful sermon talking about the righteousness of Christ. But, I don't believe that it would lead our church to the truth. The truth that we understand and have been commenting on, and I'm going to repeat today, is the same thing that Pastor Sean has shared.
   The law requires righteousness,--a righteous life, a perfect character; and this man has not to give. He cannot meet the claims of God's holy law. But Christ, coming to the earth as man, lived a holy life, and developed a perfect character. These He offers as a free gift to all who will receive them. His life stands for the life of men. Thus they have remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God. More than this, Christ imbues men with the attributes of God. He builds up the human character after the similitude of the divine character, a goodly fabric of spiritual strength and beauty. Thus the very righteousness of the law is fulfilled in the believer in Christ. God can "be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus." Romans 3:26. 

Notice what is often said, and what is most often never said. "The law requires righteousness,--a righteous life, a perfect character; and this man has not to give. He cannot meet the claims of God's holy law. But Christ, coming to the earth as man, lived a holy life, and developed a perfect character. These He offers as a free gift to all who will receive them. His life stands for the life of men." What does this mean? Why is it deadly to leave this as is in a sermon? This next statement helps us to understand what the righteousness of Christ means when it is "imputed" to us. "Thus they have remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God." It has nothing to do with future sins. How does God take care of the future? Do we see this being addressed in our sermons being preached? Does God empower man to cease sinning? Can we have imparted to us His righteousness?

If the rest of the quoted statement is left out, then it appears that the righteousness of Christ covers our defects of character because it stands in place of ours. But, this is not true. Known sin is not covered by the imputed righteousness of Christ. His righteousness will cover known sin when they are confessed and forsaken. Then what are we to do? Let us read the rest of the matter again. God does not forgive our past sins without transforming the character at the same time. "More than this, Christ imbues men with the attributes of God. He builds up the human character after the similitude of the divine character, a goodly fabric of spiritual strength and beauty. Thus the very righteousness of the law is fulfilled in the believer in Christ. God can 'be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.' Romans 3:26."

This is the imparted righteousness of Christ that does not stand in place of our righteousness, but it is the righteousness of Christ given to all who give the whole heart to Jesus. What does "after the similitude of the divine character" mean? It means that our character is a reflection of the character of our God. This is what it means to be a witness of God, to reflect His character, not the character we have when we are not abiding in Christ.

There is much to comment on in this chapter. It is a most wonderful revelation of how much God gave that we might be transformed and have eternal life. But, God would have us feed upon meat and be able to feed others "meat" instead of "milk." There is little time left. Let us move beyond baptism and the foundation of our faith. The light we have been given is shining brightly upon His church.

Let us see what was written just before what I quoted.

In the opening of the great controversy, Satan had declared that the law of God could not be obeyed, that justice was inconsistent with mercy, and that, should the law be broken, it would be impossible for the sinner to be pardoned. Every sin must meet its punishment, urged Satan; and if God should remit the punishment of sin, He would not be a God of truth and justice. When men broke the law of God, and defied His will, Satan exulted. It was proved, he declared, that the law could not be obeyed; man could not be forgiven. Because he, after his rebellion, had been banished from heaven, Satan claimed that the human race must be forever shut out from God's favor. God could not be just, he urged, and yet show mercy to the sinner. 

This is the underlying difficulty God has met. Is He asking of us something we cannot do, obey His law? No, He has not asked of us something we cannot do. The Bible says "Here are they that keep the commandments of God." But, we cannot do this apart from Christ, and we cannot pay the price of past sins. God has promised to give us a new heart that will be pure and holy and empower us to keep all of His law to the degree with known it. He also will empower us as long as we abide in Christ to manifest all of the fruits of the Spirit, not one will be missing. Again, we do not hear this being preached from our pulpits or printed on our presses, until recently.

Let us make it perfectly clear that Jesus is going to have a people who love Him with the whole heart and then will reveal to a world soon to perish His character. This ought to have happened many years ago, but because man has continued to be deceived, it has not happened. This chapter is able to clear away the deceptions which has  blinded many to the power of God's grace to transform sinners into saints. Let us not depend on one statement or one or two paragraphs. Let us hear more of the consistency of what God is doing for and through us so He can put an end to suffering and sin.

God's love has been expressed in His justice no less than in His mercy. Justice is the foundation of His throne, and the fruit of His love. It had been Satan's purpose to divorce mercy from truth and justice. He sought to prove that the righteousness of God's law is an enemy to peace. But Christ shows that in God's plan they are indissolubly joined together; the one cannot exist without the other. "Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other." Psalm 85:10.
     By His life and His death, Christ proved that God's justice did not destroy His mercy, but that sin could be forgiven, and that the law is righteous, and can be perfectly obeyed. Satan's charges were refuted. God had given man unmistakable evidence of His love.
     Another deception was now to be brought forward. Satan declared that mercy destroyed justice, that the death of Christ abrogated the Father's law. Had it been possible for the law to be changed or abrogated, then Christ need not have died. But to abrogate the law would be to immortalize transgression, and place the world under Satan's control. It was because the law was changeless, because man could be saved only through obedience to its precepts, that Jesus was lifted up on the cross. Yet the very means by which Christ established the law Satan represented as destroying it. Here will come the last conflict of the great controversy between Christ and Satan. 

Man is not saved by obedience, but he will not be saved without obedience. The wages of one known sin reveals a separation from God. When man loves God with the whole heart, then he will obey from the heart all God has revealed. It is our love for God that empowers us to obey. It is His grace that wins the heart, the whole heart to God. It would be well to spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating the life of Christ, especially the closing scenes when He was lifted up to suffer and die to pay the price of my sins. By beholding His glory (character), we are changed into the same image (character) by the Spirit (2 Cor. 3:18). The mind is like plastic, it is molded by what it beholds. Let us behold Christ that we might have the mind of Christ. "Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus." Philippians 2:5. Then as a people, we can rejoice with Christ and our heavenly Father and the Holy Spirit that the universe will be on an eternally secure foundation. Affliction shall not arise a second time!

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2020, 05:51:24 AM »
When Jesus comes in power and great glory VERY VERY VERY SOON, the righteous go to be with Him in heaven, but what is it that destroys the wicked? Notice how 2 Thessalonians 2:8 answers this: "And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of His mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of His coming."

"This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is 'alienated from the life of God.' Christ says, 'All they that hate Me love death.' Ephesians 4:18; Proverbs 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them." {The Desire of Ages, page 764, paragraph 1}

Everyone right now is making eternal decisions. We either choose to surrender to God, the Life-Giver, and thus enjoy eternal life with Him because we accept Jesus' atoning blood and allow Him to give us new hearts and minds imbued with all of the fruits of His Spirit without one missing, or we choose death. Life is defined in the Ten Commandments and will be gladly kept by all who have Jesus, the Author of these principles of life, in the heart! Another way to say it is that the Ten Commandments are "FREEDOM DEFINED"!! Why would someone choose death? It is because sin is deceptive, and the one who chooses sin may think that "this is better than what God has for me" or they may even not believe God exists. Why risk not believing in God? Oh, let us turn from the strange, insane infatuation with sin and YIELD to Christ and experience LIFE FOREVER!!! Please join me in the adventure of letting God give you life and life more abundantly starting NOW!!!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2020, 06:52:13 AM »
"Satan saw that his disguise was torn away. His administration was laid open before the unfallen angels and before the heavenly universe. He had revealed himself as a murderer. By shedding the blood of the Son of God, he had uprooted himself from the sympathies of the heavenly beings. Henceforth his work was restricted. Whatever attitude he might assume, he could no longer await the angels as they came from the heavenly courts, and before them accuse Christ's brethren of being clothed with the garments of blackness and the defilement of sin. The last link of sympathy between Satan and the heavenly world was broken.

"Yet Satan was not then destroyed. The angels did not even then understand all that was involved in the great controversy. The principles at stake were to be more fully revealed. And for the sake of man, Satan's existence must be continued. Man as well as angels must see the contrast between the Prince of light and the prince of darkness. He must choose whom he will serve."

How bless are we to serve an " ALL KNOWING GOD " who understands the needs of all the creatures of His creation. When this cycle of sin is forever ended it will be an eternity of bliss and happiness. I want to be there - don't you? Let us determine today that by uniting fully with Jesus we will be ready for the awesome return of our Saviour, Jesus Christ . We have His promise that "SIN with it's path of sorrow, sadness, pain and death-- WILL NEVER RISE UP AGAIN.

Dorine

« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2020, 10:57:33 AM »
"That the law which was spoken by God's own voice is faulty, that some specification has been set aside, is the claim which Satan now puts forward. It is the last great deception that he will bring upon the world. He needs not to assail the whole law; if he can lead men to disregard one precept, his purpose is gained. For "whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all." James 2:10. By consenting to break one precept, men are brought under Satan's power. By substituting human law for God's law, Satan will seek to control the world."

Each decision we make is another step in forming a character for God or against Him. It's sad to listen to so many that think what they do is not important as long as they are a good person, and say they love God. As Richard has mentioned they have adopted the belief that Christ's death forgives all sins not only past but future as well. I find it very difficult to talk to these people of spiritual matters. When truth is presented they just have a blank stare.

I'm so thankful for the power of intercessory prayer. The more we pray the more doors are open for God to work on the hearts of the lost. Many being our loved ones. I know that intercessory prayer on my behalf saved me from some devastating consequences in my past. The interesting thing is that some of the individuals that were praying for me at that time (when they were strong in the faith) are now the ones that I am praying for. We can never presume that we are beyond falling. We must be abiding in Christ at all times. He then promises us peace and joy and we will radiate with the fruits of the spirit. We will be filled vessels that will bring the hope in Christ to the lost that are searching for truth themselves.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Dorine

« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2020, 08:32:09 AM »
"When Jesus came into the world, Satan's power was turned against Him. From the time when He appeared as a babe in Bethlehem, the usurper worked to bring about His destruction. In every possible way he sought to prevent Jesus from developing a perfect childhood, a faultless manhood, a holy ministry, and an unblemished sacrifice. But he was defeated. He could not lead Jesus into sin. He could not discourage Him, or drive Him from a work He had come on earth to do. From the desert to Calvary, the storm of Satan's wrath beat upon Him, but the more mercilessly it fell, the more firmly did the Son of God cling to the hand of His Father, and press on in the bloodstained path. All the efforts of Satan to oppress and overcome Him only brought out in a purer light His spotless character."

I thank my dear Saviour for all He endured for the salvation of man. But He does not take anyone by force. He wants my obedience out of love for Him. This is so important to understand because so many are living in presumption instead of by faith. Yes God is full of mercy, compassion and love but He is also a God of justice. That is good news for He will defend His own. What a message of truth we have and so few accept it.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2020, 09:15:21 AM »
Amen dear sister!  And as the character of Christ was made more pure and holy by the great trials He endured, so it will be with us. In the middle of the storm when Satan is attacking, God will have His witnesses in whom will be seen His glory.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2020, 07:16:17 AM »
"It is Finished!" What was finished when Christ cried out?  We are like blind men fumbling about without using the light that lighteth up the world. What was finished when Christ yielded up His last breath?

Jesus did not come to this Earth only for you and me. Then what else was there? God had a serious problem when Lucifer rebelled. The rebellion began in heaven and it expanded to the Earth. But, it was Satan's plan to conquer the universe. Thus we understand there was a "great controversy" between Christ and Satan that involved the whole creation of God. When Christ cried out "it is finished," to this He was speaking. It was understood by angels that the victory between Christ and Satan had been won. But, the "controversy" remained. Why? Because this Earth is the lesson book for the whole universe. The battle has been won, but the war continues to rage. The victory has been made sure for the universe, but there are many who have yet to win for themselves. And, there are pieces of the puzzle that must be put in place so that all will understand the issue involved and take their stand with Christ for eternity.

To the angels and the unfallen worlds the cry, "It is finished," had a deep significance. It was for them as well as for us that the great work of redemption had been accomplished. They with us share the fruits of Christ's victory.

There was one great issue between Christ and Satan, it is the law of God. Satan told the angels that God's ways were selfish and he had a better way. He attacked the law of God in heaven and on this earth. Who will we choose to follow?

The warfare against God's law, which was begun in heaven, will be continued until the end of time. Every man will be tested. Obedience or disobedience is the question to be decided by the whole world. All will be called to choose between the law of God and the laws of men. Here the dividing line will be drawn. There will be but two classes. Every character will be fully developed; and all will show whether they have chosen the side of loyalty or that of rebellion.
     Then the end will come. God will vindicate His law and deliver His people. Satan and all who have joined him in rebellion will be cut off. Sin and sinners will perish, root and branch, (Malachi 4:1),--Satan the root, and his followers the branches. The word will be fulfilled to the prince of evil, "Because thou hast set thine heart as the heart of God; . . . I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire. . . . Thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more." Then "the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be;" "they shall be as though they had not been." Ezekiel 28:6-19; Psalm 37:10; Obadiah 16.
     This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Ephesians 4:18; Proverbs 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

Many treat obedience to God's ways as being a light thing, but it is not. When we sin, when we do not walk in the light of God's glory we support the cause of Satan. And, it makes no difference which laws we violate. "To him that knoweth to do good and doeth it not, to him it is sin." How many pervert this truth to do away with sin? Many even in God's church will treat God's natural laws as something that is not important, that do not have to be obeyed.  But, we just read that when we do not do what we know is right, we sin. How important is that sin? Go back to the great controversy. That sin reveals rebellion against God's ways, against God Himself. Then why do we treat this sin so lightly?

Jesus tells us why. It is one thing to sin because we were conceived in sin and need to see our continual need of a Savior before we can overcome the smallest temptation. But, that is not the issue with those who ought to know better. Jesus said "Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees." Matthew 16:6. When we are surrounded by a world that sins and treat it lightly, when the world comes into God's church and does the same, unless we take heed to the Words of Jesus, we will be leavened by their attitude towards sin. Think about it, why do you think it not an important matter when you sin a "little" sin? Because all around you think it not important and many teach it as if it was true. Many truly believe that we are saved when we sin a known sin. How many do you know that believe and teach that the small sin reveals a separation between man and God?

Every man will be tested. Obedience or disobedience is the question to be decided by the whole world.

Many are confused about this, but in today's reading God attempts to remove the confusion about who is saved and how we are saved. How are we to be saved?

Understanding the character of God, knowing His goodness, Satan chose to follow his own selfish, independent will. This choice was final. There was no more that God could do to save him. But man was deceived; his mind was darkened by Satan's sophistry. The height and depth of the love of God he did not know. For him there was hope in a knowledge of God's love. By beholding His character he might be drawn back to God. 

Who is saved? Many will read the first part of what is written here, but stop short of the whole statement. Even if read, they will reject the simple truth that unless we are transformed in character, we are not saved.

The law requires righteousness,--a righteous life, a perfect character; and this man has not to give. He cannot meet the claims of God's holy law. But Christ, coming to the earth as man, lived a holy life, and developed a perfect character. These He offers as a free gift to all who will receive them. His life stands for the life of men. Thus they have remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God. More than this, Christ imbues men with the attributes of God. He builds up the human character after the similitude of the divine character, a goodly fabric of spiritual strength and beauty. Thus the very righteousness of the law is fulfilled in the believer in Christ. God can "be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus." Romans 3:26.
     God's love has been expressed in His justice no less than in His mercy. Justice is the foundation of His throne, and the fruit of His love. It had been Satan's purpose to divorce mercy from truth and justice. He sought to prove that the righteousness of God's law is an enemy to peace. But Christ shows that in God's plan they are indissolubly joined together; the one cannot exist without the other. "Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other." Psalm 85:10.
     By His life and His death, Christ proved that God's justice did not destroy His mercy, but that sin could be forgiven, and that the law is righteous, and can be perfectly obeyed.

How many times have you heard from the pulpit, or read from books coming off our presses that the law of God can be "perfectly obeyed?" That Jesus "imbues men with the attributes of God. He builds up the human character after the similitude of the divine character, a goodly fabric of spiritual strength and beauty. Thus the very righteousness of the law is fulfilled in the believer in Christ."

What we are read here is known at imparting the righteousness of Christ to those who are truly converted, fully surrendered to Christ, love Him with the whole heart.  The "imputed righteousness" is the first part of the statement where we are told we have not the "perfect righteousness" that the law demands. Thus it is the "imputed righteousness of Christ" that stands in place of our "past sins." And then, again we are told that more than this Christ "imparts" to us, gives to us the perfect character He has developed if we will love Him with the whole heart.

It is true that this perfect character will grow so that we reflect more and more a character like Him who gave all for us. It is perfect at each stage, first the blade, then the ear, after that the full corn in the ear." All by God's grace. All guaranteed to those who will behold Jesus because of what Jesus had accomplished when He cried out "It is finished."

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2020, 08:36:17 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine and Brother Richard!

What happened when Christ died on Calvary?

"Satan saw that his disguise was torn away. His administration was laid open before the unfallen angels and before the heavenly universe. He had revealed himself as a murderer. By shedding the blood of the Son of God, he had uprooted himself from the sympathies of the heavenly beings. Henceforth his work was restricted. Whatever attitude he might assume, he could no longer await the angels as they came from the heavenly courts, and before them accuse Christ's brethren of being clothed with the garments of blackness and the defilement of sin. The last link of sympathy between Satan and the heavenly world was broken." {The Desire of Ages, page 761, paragraph 2} 

When someone is fully unmasked their character becomes known. God desires us to see the full goodness of His character in contrast with Satan's accusing, false character. Let us choose this day to serve Christ and let Christ in us, the hope of glory, reveal Himself by bringing forth in our lives all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing! Such an experience will be through the Holy Spirit leading us to obey the law of God--the Ten Commandments--as the definition of freedom and love because we love Him who first loved us!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2020, 05:08:13 PM »
 "The warfare against God's law, which was begun in heaven, will be continued until the end of time. Every man will be tested. Obedience or disobedience is the question to be decided by the whole world. All will be called to choose between the law of God and the laws of men. Here the dividing line will be drawn. There will be but two classes. Every character will be fully developed; and all will show whether they have chosen the side of loyalty or that of rebellion...Then the end will come. God will vindicate His law and deliver His people."

It is with great sadness that God must and will give those who have rejected Him their final reward.

In His Holy Word we find this verse...  Ezekiel 33:11 Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Ephesians 4:18

Beacon

« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2021, 07:09:04 AM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Once again this same paragraph spoke to my heart & I hope it will also speak to each on you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The warfare against God's law, which was begun in heaven, will be continued until the end of time. Every man will be tested."

"Obedience or disobedience is the question to be decided by the whole world."

All will be called to choose between the law of God and the laws of men. Here the dividing line will be drawn. There will be but two classes. Every character will be fully developed; and all will show whether they have chosen the side of loyalty or that of rebellion...

...Then the end will come. God will vindicate His law and deliver His people."

Today the door of God's mercy is still open and Jesus is calling to each one us to apart from the world and all it's sinful practices which will only result in Sorrow - Sadness & Eternal Death. Won't you listen to God's Invitation? Our Salvation has been procured at Great Cost and Suffering. Life on this planet is very transient. We never know when our life may end and then our eternal destiny will have been determined by our choices. Jesus has done all that can be done to secure an opportunity for us to have Eternal Life!

Joshua 24:15  says...
"And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."

WHAT WILL "YOUR " RESPONSE BE?

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2021, 07:38:24 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! I choose Christ on a moment-by-moment basis!

As we realize how God wins the great controversy over His character, it is helpful to realize how easily Satan could have been destroyed, but that God acts in harmony with His character to allow every being who has been given free moral agency to see clearly what is at stake and to make an intelligent decision by seeing the contrast between Christ and Satan. As we yield fully to Jesus, He blots out our sins as we have freely confessed and forsaken them and He imparts to us His very attributes--the fruits of the Spirit without one missing--so we may be a blessing to reveal God's character in this universe as witnesses!

"God could have destroyed Satan and his sympathizers as easily as one can cast a pebble to the earth; but He did not do this. Rebellion was not to be overcome by force. Compelling power is found only under Satan's government. The Lord's principles are not of this order. His authority rests upon goodness, mercy, and love; and the presentation of these principles is the means to be used. God's government is moral, and truth and love are to be the prevailing power." {The Desire of Ages, page 759, paragraph 1}

When brought into trying circumstances, let us rely implicit on the moral power of love and truth to be wrought in and through us, and in so doing allow God's plan for our life to be fulfilled!

Philip T

« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2021, 07:49:14 AM »
 That the law which was spoken by God's own voice is faulty, that some specification has been set aside, is the claim which Satan now puts forward. It is the last great deception that he will bring upon the world. He needs not to assail the whole law; if he can lead men to disregard one precept, his purpose is gained. For "whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all." James 2:10. By consenting to break one precept, men are brought under Satan's power. By substituting human law for God's law, Satan will seek to control the world. This work is foretold in prophecy. Of the great apostate power which is the representative of Satan, it is declared, "He shall speak great words against the Most High, and shall wear out the saints of the Most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand." Daniel 7:25.

Satan's last attack it to assail God's law, if we break just one of the commandments we fall under Satan's control, so the focus of the day of worship is Satan's last thrust upon this world. Will we not surrender to God, and be obedient to HIs law.  We need to consecrate and surrender out lives anew to God every day, asking forgiveness for sins. Spending time with him in prayer, and I know from recent experience that prayer works!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2021, 08:24:45 PM »
Amen Brother Philip!  Known sin reveals a separation between God and man! God has blessed us with a knowledge of the great controversy between Christ and Satan. We understand why bad things happen to "good" people. We do not fear tribulation for we know that it gives glory to God as we abide in Christ.

The closing statements in this chapter are so very important for us to understand.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe.
     But not so when the great controversy shall be ended. Then, the plan of redemption having been completed, the character of God is revealed to all created intelligences. The precepts of His law are seen to be perfect and immutable. Then sin has made manifest its nature, Satan his character. Then the extermination of sin will vindicate God's love and establish His honor before a universe of beings who delight to do His will, and in whose heart is His law.
     Well, then, might the angels rejoice as they looked upon the Saviour's cross; for though they did not then understand all, they knew that the destruction of sin and Satan was forever made certain, that the redemption of man was assured, and that the universe was made eternally secure. Christ Himself fully comprehended the results of the sacrifice made upon Calvary. To all these He looked forward when upon the cross He cried out, "It is finished."   

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2021, 04:04:20 AM »
Sin is an anomaly to the universe. It should not exist. There is no reason why a perfect being should rebel against a perfect, loving God. But because God is love, He gave Lucifer and all the angels freedom of choice. When Lucifer sinned in heaven and became the accuser, Satan, the adversary, his warfare continued to lead a third of the angels to join him in rebellion and to tempt our first parents on earth to fall, which finally led to the cross of Christ where Satan was defeated by Christ's death as a sinless divine-human sacrifice. We can be thankful that we may choose this day to serve the Lord and have victory over Satan by complete surrender to Christ, so He may fill us with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing and lead us in the path of obedience to His Ten Commandments!

"The warfare against God's law, which was begun in heaven, will be continued until the end of time. Every man will be tested. Obedience or disobedience is the question to be decided by the whole world. All will be called to choose between the law of God and the laws of men. Here the dividing line will be drawn. There will be but two classes. Every character will be fully developed; and all will show whether they have chosen the side of loyalty or that of rebellion." {The Desire of Ages, page 763, paragraph 3}

While rebellion is the default condition of fallen human beings, we may be born again by divine grace through faith and experience the power to receive new hearts and minds so Christ may live out His life in and through us! What wondrous love is this that Christ can restore us to Himself and fully develop our character like His! May you choose Christ so that through divine copartnership with Christ your life may reveal His life at work in and through you!

Philip T

« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2021, 05:26:30 AM »
  To the angels and the unfallen worlds the cry, "It is finished," had a deep significance. It was for them as well as for us that the great work of redemption had been accomplished. They with us share the fruits of Christ's victory.
     Not until the death of Christ was the character of Satan clearly revealed to the angels or to the unfallen worlds. The archapostate had so clothed himself with deception that even holy beings had not understood his principles. They had not clearly seen the nature of his rebellion.

Jesus died for the whole universe, not just earth, Jesus loves all living beings not only here on earth but throughout the universe and wanted all to understand the mission of Satan and his deceptions. This thought is often overlooked. I was struck by how much love Christ has in his heart for all of his created beings.  So  Jesus work of salvation was for the whole universe and heaven itself. Such love, Such mercy!

Beacon

« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2021, 05:55:52 AM »
"When Jesus came into the world, Satan's power was turned against Him. From the time when He appeared as a babe in Bethlehem, the usurper worked to bring about His destruction. In every possible way he sought to prevent Jesus from developing a perfect childhood, a faultless manhood, a holy ministry, and an unblemished sacrifice."

"But he was defeated. He could not lead Jesus into sin."

"He could not discourage Him, or drive Him from a work He had come on earth to do. From the desert to Calvary, the storm of Satan's wrath beat upon Him, but the more mercilessly it fell, the more firmly did the Son of God cling to the hand of His Father, and press on in the bloodstained path.

"All the efforts of Satan to oppress and overcome Him only brought out in a purer light His spotless character."

No wonder we have been encouraged to spend at least a thoughtful hour each day contemplating the life of Jesus, for it is by "Beholding Jesus" that we find the true pattern to copy in obtaining "our personal victory" over Satan. 

Dorine

« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2021, 09:59:22 AM »
"That the law which was spoken by God's own voice is faulty, that some specification has been set aside, is the claim which Satan now puts forward. It is the last great deception that he will bring upon the world. He needs not to assail the whole law; if he can lead men to disregard one precept, his purpose is gained. For "whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all." James 2:10. By consenting to break one precept, men are brought under Satan's power. By substituting human law for God's law, Satan will seek to control the world. This work is foretold in prophecy. Of the great apostate power which is the representative of Satan, it is declared, "He shall speak great words against the Most High, and shall wear out the saints of the Most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand." Daniel 7:25.

What a gracious God we serve. He does not leave us in the dark but gives us counsel and warnings time after time to prepare us for what is coming. There is a world that does not know truth as we know it. Will we hoard it to ourselves or are we prepared, with the help of the Holy Spirit, to enlighten all who are searching for answers.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2021, 09:04:11 PM »
What did God leave Satan alive after he murdered the Son of God? Why did He send him to Earth to begin with?

Yet Satan was not then destroyed. The angels did not even then understand all that was involved in the great controversy. The principles at stake were to be more fully revealed. And for the sake of man, Satan's existence must be continued. Man as well as angels must see the contrast between the Prince of light and the prince of darkness. He must choose whom he will serve.   

We shall see very soon how very evil is Satan as he begins to be a roaring lion seeking to devour us all.