Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--74--Gethsemane  (Read 34145 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--74--Gethsemane
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2019, 03:42:17 AM »
Jesus was a mature, healthy Man who felt and experienced the full gamut of the emotional impact of the sacrifice He was making as our Substitute and Surety. Because of sin, we can get to a point where we are more numb to the pain of sin and what it has cost God and how it impacts us and others. But Jesus had never closed His divine-human heart to the woes of men; He Himself was full of love, pity and tenderness for those who were going astray and longed to redeem all who would come unto Him. As I contemplate the sacrifice of Christ as He wrestled in prayer in Gethsemane over the decision of accepting the will of the Father to become sin for us, as I think about how He FELT FULLY what that meant, I am encouraged to trust that God in Christ by the Holy Spirit can heal me from the emotional numbing that I have experienced on account of sin and heal the depths of my sin-sick soul by turning my gaze upon the divine-human sufferings of Christ. Christ EXPERIENCED the weight of what He was going through; He did not numb the pain with a drug or avoid the emotional impact by trying diversions or distractions. Jesus desired what God HAS GIVEN US in times of pain and sorrow: He longed for companionship. Had Peter, James and John stayed awake to pray with Jesus, how much less difficult it might have been for our Lord. But to us comes the call today in a similar way. Will we identify with Christ and experience the painful yet so needed character work to heal from the deadness of sin, to have souls that are truly alive to think and feel the love of God? Only by beholding Christ and being truly honest to God about what we have done and how we have suffered (in light of His sufferings) are we really able to heal. God loves us and that is why He paid so much for us. I thank God for Jesus this Sabbath and so appreciate the pain He endured, so I also can experience the reversal of what He went through: I can lay my guilt and grief, my sorrow and shame upon Christ and know that He will bring me through on account of what He has endured. And knowing I have a Savior with me at each step, I am thus encouraged to find others to share what a Healer of the soul we have in Jesus. Let us look and live; let us learn to truly think and feel in harmony with the sacrifice of Christ!

"As they approached the garden, the disciples had marked the change that came over their Master. Never before had they seen Him so utterly sad and silent. As He proceeded, this strange sadness deepened; yet they dared not question Him as to the cause. His form swayed as if He were about to fall. Upon reaching the garden, the disciples looked anxiously for His usual place of retirement, that their Master might rest. Every step that He now took was with labored effort. He groaned aloud, as if suffering under the pressure of a terrible burden. Twice His companions supported Him, or He would have fallen to the earth." {The Desire of Ages, page 685, paragraph 3} 

Jesus went through this for you and me--no greater love can we ever find than can be known in Christ. To know God is to love Him, and as we see the love of God for us in Christ's sufferings, love awakens in our hearts! This love elevates our thoughts and aims, our hearts become knit with His, and through a continual surrender of the will to Christ, we experience all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing--taking our character deeper and broader in appreciation of the infinite love of God for us in Christ. And this will be our story and song for all of eternity! Hallelujah!!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2019, 10:19:37 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean - What wonderful and almost uncomprehending sacrificial love - It gives new meaning to the words " For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16 Praise the Lord!!

The words fall tremblingly from the pale lips of Jesus, "O My Father, if this cup may not pass away from Me, except I drink it, ]Thy will be done."

Three times has He uttered that prayer. Three times has humanity shrunk from the last, crowning sacrifice. But now the history of the human race comes up before the world's Redeemer. He sees that the transgressors of the law, if left to themselves, must perish. He sees the helplessness of man. He sees the power of sin. The woes and lamentations of a doomed world rise before Him. He beholds its impending fate, and His decision is made. He will save man at any cost to Himself. He accepts His baptism of blood, that through Him perishing millions may gain everlasting life. He has left the courts of heaven, where all is purity, happiness, and glory, to save the one lost sheep, the one world that has fallen by transgression. And He will not turn from His mission. He will become the propitiation of a race that has willed to sin. His prayer now breathes only submission: "If this cup may not pass away from Me, except I drink it, Thy will be done."

Let us raise our voices with Thanksgiving, Praise & Prayer for such a Redeemer as our Wonderful Jesus and take this opportunity to re-commit our love and loyalty to Him. 

OH LOVE THAT WILL NOT LET ME GO ( # 76 in the SDA Hymnal )

O Love that wilt not let me go,
I rest my weary soul in thee;
I give thee back the life I owe,
that in thine ocean depths
its flow may richer, fuller be.

O Light that followest all my way,
I yield my flickering torch to thee;
my heart restores its borrowed ray,
that in they sunshine’s blaze
its day may brighter, fairer be.

O Joy that seekest me through pain,
I cannot close my heart to thee;
I trace the rainbow thru the rain,
and feel the promise is not vain,
that morn shall tearless be.

O Cross that liftest up my head,
I dare not ask to fly from thee;
I lay in dust life’s glory dead,
and from the ground there blossoms
red life that shall endless be.
Look up and listen for the shout.

Dorine

« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2019, 10:56:20 AM »
"Jesus said to him, "Friend, wherefore art thou come?" His voice trembled with sorrow as He added, "Judas, betrayest thou the Son of man with a kiss?" This appeal should have aroused the conscience of the betrayer, and touched his stubborn heart; but honor, fidelity, and human tenderness had forsaken him. He stood bold and defiant, showing no disposition to relent. He had given himself up to Satan, and he had no power to resist him. Jesus did not refuse the traitor's kiss."

As hard as it is for me to read this chapter I am encouraged by the revelation of God's love for mankind. The Father's heart suffered with His Son yet He looked beyond the present and saw you and me and a whole world that would be lost without any hope. Only the spilled blood of Jesus would pay for the sins of those who accepted this ultimate sacrifice. "With His stripes we are healed." His love never fails to win my heart.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2019, 01:09:38 AM »
Amen Sister Dorine.  What love! It is by beholding this grace that the carnal heart is subdued. As we contemplate why He went to Jerusalem to be beaten and murdered, it breaks the cold hard heart. Here is seen an important lesson for us today.

The disciples were terrified as they saw Jesus permit Himself to be taken and bound. They were offended that He should suffer this humiliation to Himself and them. They could not understand His conduct, and they blamed Him for submitting to the mob. In their indignation and fear, Peter proposed that they save themselves. Following this suggestion, "they all forsook Him, and fled." But Christ had foretold this desertion, "Behold," He had said, "the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, every man to his own, and shall leave Me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with Me." John 16:32.

Jesus had told His disciples He was to die, but they did not want to hear that. How long was it after they had given their hearts to Christ in the upper room that they were "terrified"? We may be converted each morning, but that does not get us through the day. We must watch and pray.

Rising with painful effort, He staggered to the place where He had left His companions. But He "findeth them asleep." Had He found them praying, He would have been relieved. Had they been seeking refuge in God, that satanic agencies might not prevail over them, He would have been comforted by their steadfast faith. But they had not heeded the repeated warning, "Watch and pray." At first they had been much troubled to see their Master, usually so calm and dignified, wrestling with a sorrow that was beyond comprehension. They had prayed as they heard the strong cries of the sufferer. They did not intend to forsake their Lord, but they seemed paralyzed by a stupor which they might have shaken off if they had continued pleading with God. They did not realize the necessity of watchfulness and earnest prayer in order to withstand temptation. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2019, 05:49:30 AM »
"But God suffered with His Son. Angels beheld the Saviour's agony. They saw their Lord enclosed by legions of satanic forces, His nature weighed down with a shuddering, mysterious dread. There was silence in heaven. No harp was touched. Could mortals have viewed the amazement of the angelic host as in silent grief they watched the Father separating His beams of light, love, and glory from His beloved Son, they would better understand how offensive in His sight is sin."

As I watch my precious Jesus suffer as He did my heart is melted once again.

Open my eyes and understanding Father that I may see the hatefulness of sin. Thank you for these words of inspiration that remind us of the great love and sacrifice heaven made for this one rebellious planet. We need you Lord. Thank you for not giving up on us. You have promised victory to those who trust and obey You. Fill us with Your Spirit that we may stay faithful to you. Amen.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2019, 05:57:42 AM »
Amen, dear Sister Dorine! How could we not be moved as we hear the words of Jesus, suffering in our place. It is so very sad that we are so very evil by nature. But, what a joy to understand we may be partakers of Christ's divine nature because of His suffering. Oh, how much pain our Father suffered watching His dear Son suffer as He separated His beams of light and love from His Son!! Father forgive us of our great sins. Help us to be fully surrendered to you today is our heartfelt prayer.

Turning away, Jesus sought again His retreat, and fell prostrate, overcome by the horror of a great darkness. The humanity of the Son of God trembled in that trying hour. He prayed not now for His disciples that their faith might not fail, but for His own tempted, agonized soul. The awful moment had come--that moment which was to decide the destiny of the world. The fate of humanity trembled in the balance. Christ might even now refuse to drink the cup apportioned to guilty man. It was not yet too late. He might wipe the bloody sweat from His brow, and leave man to perish in his iniquity. He might say, Let the transgressor receive the penalty of his sin, and I will go back to My Father. Will the Son of God drink the bitter cup of humiliation and agony? Will the innocent suffer the consequences of the curse of sin, to save the guilty? The words fall tremblingly from the pale lips of Jesus, "O My Father, if this cup may not pass away from Me, except I drink it, Thy will be done."
     Three times has He uttered that prayer. Three times has humanity shrunk from the last, crowning sacrifice. But now the history of the human race comes up before the world's Redeemer. He sees that the transgressors of the law, if left to themselves, must perish. He sees the helplessness of man. He sees the power of sin. The woes and lamentations of a doomed world rise before Him. He beholds its impending fate, and His decision is made. He will save man at any cost to Himself. He accepts His baptism of blood, that through Him perishing millions may gain everlasting life. He has left the courts of heaven, where all is purity, happiness, and glory, to save the one lost sheep, the one world that has fallen by transgression. And He will not turn from His mission. He will become the propitiation of a race that has willed to sin. His prayer now breathes only submission: "If this cup may not pass away from Me, except I drink it, Thy will be done."   
     Having made the decision, He fell dying to the ground from which He had partially risen. Where now were His disciples, to place their hands tenderly beneath the head of their fainting Master, and bathe that brow, marred indeed more than the sons of men? The Saviour trod the wine press alone, and of the people there was none with Him.
     But God suffered with His Son. Angels beheld the Saviour's agony. They saw their Lord enclosed by legions of satanic forces, His nature weighed down with a shuddering, mysterious dread. There was silence in heaven. No harp was touched. Could mortals have viewed the amazement of the angelic host as in silent grief they watched the Father separating His beams of light, love, and glory from His beloved Son, they would better understand how offensive in His sight is sin. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2019, 08:33:01 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine and Brother Richard!

Jesus' divine-human sufferings are recorded that we may have hearts that will be truly converted, and surrender all to Him. He bore a greater burden than we can ever bear. As we behold Him, we are changed into the same image from glory to glory!

"Christ's agony did not cease, but His depression and discouragement left Him. The storm had in nowise abated, but He who was its object was strengthened to meet its fury. He came forth calm and serene. A heavenly peace rested upon His bloodstained face. He had borne that which no human being could ever bear; for He had tasted the sufferings of death for every man." {The Desire of Ages, page 694, paragraph 1}

After Christ experienced depression and discouragement, He also experienced calmness and serenity. The choice to surrender all to God is a struggle--and the struggle Christ went through was one in which He was willing to be separated from God so we could be reconciled to God. Such love!

Lord, melt our hearts with the revelation of the loveliness of Jesus!   
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2019, 04:48:59 PM »
"The human heart longs for sympathy in suffering. This longing Christ felt to the very depths of His being. In the supreme agony of His soul He came to His disciples with a yearning desire to hear some words of comfort from those whom He had so often blessed and comforted, and shielded in sorrow and distress. The One who had always had words of sympathy for them was now suffering superhuman agony, and He longed to know that they were praying for Him and for themselves. [/u]How dark seemed the malignity of sin! Terrible was the temptation to let the human race bear the consequences of its own guilt, while He stood innocent before God. If He could only know that His disciples understood and appreciated this, He would be strengthened."[/size]

How often have "we" disappointed Jesus!! The very ONE who went through this horrible experience to set us free!! 

"Rising with painful effort, He staggered to the place where He had left His companions. But He "findeth them asleep." Had He found them praying, He would have been relieved. Had they been seeking refuge in God, that satanic agencies might not prevail over them..." He would have been comforted by their steadfast faith". But they had not heeded the repeated warning, "Watch and pray." At first they had been much troubled to see their Master, usually so calm and dignified, wrestling with a sorrow that was beyond comprehension. They had prayed as they heard the strong cries of the sufferer. They did not intend to forsake their Lord, but they seemed paralyzed by a stupor..." which they might have shaken off if they had continued pleading with God."  They did not realize the necessity of watchfulness and earnest prayer in order to withstand temptation."

As we reflect over the experience that Jesus went through for us.."Do we realize the necessity and power of watchfulness and earnest prayer in order to withstand temptation" ?? Or are we still causing Jesus much sorrow and pain because of our stubborn refusal to surrender "ALL" to Him?? Inspite of His victory on our behalf. 

May our daily prayer be..."ALL TO JESUS I SURRENDER - ALL TO HIM I FREELY GIVE. "

Beacon

« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2019, 06:57:35 PM »
"Throughout His life on earth He had walked in the light of God's presence. When in conflict with men who were inspired by the very spirit of Satan, He could say, "He that sent Me is with Me: the Father hath not left Me alone; for I do always those things that please Him." John 8:29. But now He seemed to be shut out from the light of God's sustaining presence. Now He was numbered with the transgressors. The guilt of fallen humanity He must bear. Upon Him who knew no sin must be laid the iniquity of us all. So dreadful does sin appear to Him, so great is the weight of guilt which He must bear, that He is tempted to fear it will shut Him out forever from His Father's love. Feeling how terrible is the wrath of God against transgression, He exclaims, "My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death."

A quote from JimB
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Satan is constantly at work, but few have any idea of his activity and subtlety. The people of God must be prepared to withstand the wily foe. It is this resistance that Satan dreads. He knows better than we do the limit of his power and how easily he can be overcome if we resist and face him. Through divine strength the weakest saint is more than a match for him and all his angels, and if brought to the test he would be able to prove his superior power. Therefore Satan’s step is noiseless, his movements stealthy, and his batteries masked. He does not venture to show himself openly, lest he arouse the Christian’s dormant energies and send him to God in prayer.
{5T 293.4}[/color]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." (1 Corinthians 10:13).

What a wonderful promise but let us never forget --- it is based on our willingness to maintain a daily connection with Jesus and a willingness on our part to turn away from all evil as revealed in His Word and through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2019, 06:07:54 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

What we behold changes us. It is inevitable. We become like what we value and reverence. Jesus in Gethsemane longed for His disciples to behold Him in His sufferings, that they might better understand the sacrifice He was making, thus helping them to be prepared for the greater test--His death on Calvary. So today Jesus is longing to have us watch unto prayer, successfully bringing us through the needed trials to help us be ready for the great time of Jacob's trouble when the probation of the world is closed, the wicked are enraged against God's people (think of how the mob came after Jesus in Gethsemane), and the death decree against those who will continue to "keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus" (Revelation 14:12) leads to the time of utmost extremity. Christ bore our curse and died for us; God's people will be delivered--because they have learned moment by moment to rely implicit upon His word and trust Him no matter what the surrounding circumstances. It is now that we need to learn this simple, yet profound lesson:

"'Tarry ye here,' He said, 'and watch with Me.'" {The Desire of Ages, page 686, paragraph 2}

If we would heed this invitation, we would be must stronger in God, and find sin hateful to us:

"It would be well for us to spend a thoughtful hour each day in contemplation of the life of Christ. We should take it point by point, and let the imagination grasp each scene, especially the closing ones. As we thus dwell upon His great sacrifice for us, our confidence in Him will be more constant, our love will be quickened, and we shall be more deeply imbued with His spirit. If we would be saved at last, we must learn the lesson of penitence and humiliation at the foot of the cross." {The Desire of Ages, page 83, paragraph 4}

We continually need Jesus. Let us learn to watch and pray with Jesus, for He is longing for us to not only allow Him to fully mature His character in us (though we may be perfect at every stage of development of character if we are completely surrendered to Christ and living up to the light He has shown us of His law of love, this experience is to be fully matured in the lives of God's people who live to the coming of Jesus). He longs for us to cooperate with Him in spreading the everlasting gospel to reach this world--the gospel message that uplifts Christ in all His loveliness with the redeeming power of grace to transform sinners into repentant saints who will soon be glorified at His appearing!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2019, 06:05:04 PM »
Amen Pastor Sean. We must learn to watch and pray if we want to resist the temptation to sin. As Brother Beacon has shared, we must maintain our daily connection with Christ.

So it was with Christ when He came to this dark spot in the universe. He maintained His connection with His Father. Then we do we say when His connection with His Father was broken up? We will see the answer in Sunday's reading.

As Christ felt His unity with the Father broken up, He feared that in His human nature He would be unable to endure the coming conflict with the powers of darkness. In the wilderness of temptation the destiny of the human race had been at stake. Christ was then conqueror. Now the tempter had come for the last fearful struggle. For this he had been preparing during the three years of Christ's ministry. Everything was at stake with him. If he failed here, his hope of mastery was lost; the kingdoms of the world would finally become Christ's; he himself would be overthrown and cast out. But if Christ could be overcome, the earth would become Satan's kingdom, and the human race would be forever in his power. With the issues of the conflict before Him, Christ's soul was filled with dread of separation from God. Satan told Him that if He became the surety for a sinful world, the separation would be eternal. He would be identified with Satan's kingdom, and would nevermore be one with God.   

Here we read that Christ feared that "in His human nature He would be unable to endure the coming conflict with the powers of darkness." He came to this world where Satan claimed dominion a helpless babe subject to the weakness of humanity to fight the battle of life as we might it at the risk of failure and eternal loss! What love God has for us!! And, unlike us weak humans who cannot carry our own sins, Jesus carried the sins of the whole world!!

Beacon

« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2020, 05:44:49 PM »
"The human heart longs for sympathy in suffering. This longing Christ felt to the very depths of His being. In the supreme agony of His soul He came to His disciples with a yearning desire to hear some words of comfort from those whom He had so often blessed and comforted, and shielded in sorrow and distress.. If He could only know that His disciples understood and appreciated this, He would be strengthened."

"Rising with painful effort, He staggered to the place where He had left His companions. But He "findeth them asleep." Had He found them praying, He would have been relieved. Had they been seeking refuge in God, that satanic agencies might not prevail over them, He would have been comforted by their steadfast faith.

"They did not intend to forsake their Lord, but they seemed paralyzed by a stupor which they might have shaken off if they had continued pleading with God. They did not realize the necessity of watchfulness and earnest prayer in order to withstand temptation.

How about us? Do "WE" recognize the necessity of watchfulness and earnest prayer in order to withstand temptation?

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2020, 05:39:39 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! We need watchfulness and earnest prayer in our Christian experience so we may resist the clamors of our fallen nature, the world, and the devil. May we never forget the love of God for us as it is manifest in Christ!!

Jesus was not on autopilot when He came to our world to save us. Like us, He had choices. He formed a character in which His EVERY decision was in harmony with the Father's will. And as He came to Gethsemane, the struggle was that now the Father's will was for Him to bear the sin of the whole world, experience our guilt as though it were His own, and die as our Sacrifice. Would Jesus consent to this agony? He was free to choose, even as we are free to choose Christ or reject His offer of grace.

It was an immense struggle, not because Jesus did not love to obey His Father, but that by obeying His Father's will He would be experientially separated from the Father as He became sin for our entire race. What amazing, infinite love we behold here in the Garden of Gethsemane! Jesus loves us so much that He values us to the point that He would endure the wrath of God against transgression so we could be eternally saved!!

"Having made the decision, He fell dying to the ground from which He had partially risen. Where now were His disciples, to place their hands tenderly beneath the head of their fainting Master, and bathe that brow, marred indeed more than the sons of men? The Saviour trod the wine press alone, and of the people there was none with Him." {The Desire of Ages, page 693, paragraph 1}

May we ever keep uppermost in our minds the loveliness of Jesus and the great plan of salvation. That is why it is well for us each day to contemplate the life of Christ--especially the closing scenes, so our love and faith are made strong by a deeper infilling of the Holy Spirit who spontaneously produces in the heart renewed by divine grace all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing!!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2020, 09:33:14 PM »
Amen Pastor Sean!  Brother Beacon, the sad truth that Jesus longed for human sympathy is so very painful to consider, for those who He had loved the most did not sympathize with Him.  :(

With the issues of the conflict before Him, Christ's soul was filled with dread of separation from God. Satan told Him that if He became the surety for a sinful world, the separation would be eternal. He would be identified with Satan's kingdom, and would nevermore be one with God.   

This is what broke the heart of the Son of God. God separated His beams of light and love from His innocent Son. And, Satan spoke the great lie that the wages of sin demanded eternal separation from His Father. Contemplate the price Christ and our heavenly Father paid for our sins! Herein is love unfathomable!

Beacon

« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2020, 04:34:27 PM »
"Three times has humanity shrunk from the last, crowning sacrifice. But now the history of the human race comes up before the world's Redeemer. He sees that the transgressors of the law, if left to themselves, must perish. He sees the helplessness of man. He sees the power of sin. The woes and lamentations of a doomed world rise before Him. He beholds its impending fate, and His decision is made. He will save man at any cost to Himself. He accepts His baptism of blood, that through Him perishing millions may gain everlasting life."

"He has left the courts of heaven, where all is purity, happiness, and glory, to save the one lost sheep, the one world that has fallen by transgression. And He will not turn from His mission. He will become the propitiation of a race that has willed to sin. His prayer now breathes only submission: "If this cup may not pass away from Me, except I drink it, Thy will be done."

"There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." (1 Corinthians 10:13).

What a wonderful promise, but let us never forget --- it is based on our willingness to maintain a daily connection with Jesus and a willingness on our part to turn away from all evil as revealed in His Word through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2020, 05:47:33 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

Jesus saw you--and even now He sees you--and it was love that moved Him in His decision to save us in His agonized struggle in the Garden of Gethsemane. Jesus, knowing the need we would have for His redeeming sacrifice, contemplating the full cost of the agony in being separated from His Father by becoming sin for us and experiencing what we deserve, would choose to become our atoning sacrifice, and now He offers us the cup of blessing in turning us away from our iniquities. May we never see sin as a light thing, for it cost the death of the Son of God. May we, in contemplating His love for us, be changed into His image, fully surrendered to Him so He can transform us, and be deeply imbued with His Spirit!

"Three times has He uttered that prayer. Three times has humanity shrunk from the last, crowning sacrifice. But now the history of the human race comes up before the world's Redeemer. He sees that the transgressors of the law, if left to themselves, must perish. He sees the helplessness of man. He sees the power of sin. The woes and lamentations of a doomed world rise before Him. He beholds its impending fate, and His decision is made. He will save man at any cost to Himself. He accepts His baptism of blood, that through Him perishing millions may gain everlasting life. He has left the courts of heaven, where all is purity, happiness, and glory, to save the one lost sheep, the one world that has fallen by transgression. And He will not turn from His mission. He will become the propitiation of a race that has willed to sin. His prayer now breathes only submission: 'If this cup may not pass away from Me, except I drink it, Thy will be done.'"  {The Desire of Ages, page 690, paragraph 3}

So now Christ offers us the cup of blessing in the experience of salvation--that all of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives, and not one will be missing as long as we are partaking by grace through faith of His divine nature and choosing to resist the temptation to sin and self by keeping our eyes on Jesus and depending upon Him in a moment-by-moment attitude of surrender. Jesus counted the cost, and love moved Him to die for us. May we too count the cost and realize that heaven in cheap enough, and that Jesus longs for His reward--you and me redeemed and with Him in heaven. Even now, after His agony in Gethsemane has been culminated at Calvary, Christ is ministering as our High Priest in the sanctuary in heaven, and yearns to fully transform us into His character and blot from the records the sins He has led us to repent of and confess. He longs to be WITH US IN PERSON!! He is coming VERY SOON!!

Let us allow Jesus to have all of us today for His plans and His will to be wrought out in our lives--that we may partake of the cup of blessing in salvation: "I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the Lord" (Psalm 116:13).

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2020, 05:10:13 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean and Brother Beacon! And what was it that crushed out the life of our Savior?

And what was to be gained by this sacrifice? How hopeless appeared the guilt and ingratitude of men! In its hardest features Satan pressed the situation upon the Redeemer: The people who claim to be above all others in temporal and spiritual advantages have rejected You. They are seeking to destroy You, the foundation, the center and seal of the promises made to them as a peculiar people. One of Your own disciples, who has listened to Your instruction, and has been among the foremost in church activities, will betray You. One of Your most zealous followers will deny You. All will forsake You. Christ's whole being abhorred the thought. That those whom He had undertaken to save, those whom He loved so much, should unite in the plots of Satan, this pierced His soul. The conflict was terrible. Its measure was the guilt of His nation, of His accusers and betrayer, the guilt of a world lying in wickedness. The sins of men weighed heavily upon Christ, and the sense of God's wrath against sin was crushing out His life.

And, have we not caused our Savior to suffer also. God help us to remember what our Savior has done for us.

Dorine

« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2020, 05:40:09 AM »
  "The sleeping disciples had been suddenly awakened by the light surrounding the Saviour. They saw the angel bending over their prostrate Master. They saw him lift the Saviour's head upon his bosom, and point toward heaven. They heard his voice, like sweetest music, speaking words of comfort and hope. The disciples recalled the scene upon the mount of transfiguration. They remembered the glory that in the temple had encircled Jesus, and the voice of God that spoke from the cloud. Now that same glory was again revealed, and they had no further fear for their Master. He was under the care of God; a mighty angel had been sent to protect Him. Again the disciples in their weariness yield to the strange stupor that overpowers them. Again Jesus finds them sleeping.        

Looking sorrowfully upon them He says, "Sleep on now, and take your rest: behold, the hour is at hand, and the Son of man is betrayed into the hands of sinners."   

I love to dwell on the selfless love of Jesus for His disciples.  The same love extends down to the very end. He knows our weaknesses, He knows our hearts and He will not forsake us but walk with us throughout each day, leading, guiding, and teaching us to be in an attitude of humble surrender. As we recognize our weaknesses and as we give them to Jesus our weaknesses will become our strengths through the working of the Holy Spirit. As we read these chapters to the end may we not be sleeping as the disciples but wide awake to receive the blessings God wants to bestow upon us.

Beacon

« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2020, 05:38:57 AM »
"The human heart longs for sympathy in suffering. This longing Christ felt to the very depths of His being. In the supreme agony of His soul He came to His disciples with a yearning desire to hear some words of comfort from those whom He had so often blessed and comforted, and shielded in sorrow and distress.. If He could only know that His disciples understood and appreciated this, He would be strengthened."

"Rising with painful effort, He staggered to the place where He had left His companions. But He "findeth them asleep." Had He found them praying, He would have been relieved. Had they been seeking refuge in God, that satanic agencies might not prevail over them, HE WOULD HAVE BEEN COMFORTED BY THEIR STEADFAST FAITH."

"They did not intend to forsake their Lord, but they seemed paralyzed by a stupor which they might have shaken off if they had continued pleading with God. They did not realize the necessity of watchfulness and earnest prayer in order to withstand temptation.

How about us? Do "WE" recognize the necessity of watchfulness and earnest prayer in order to withstand temptation?

What a wonderful promise but let us never forget --- it is based on our willingness to maintain a daily connection with Jesus and a willingness on our part to turn away from all evil as revealed in His Word and through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2020, 05:46:50 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

Even Jesus had to battle through depression and discouragement when He was contemplating the price to be paid for the human race. What an infinite sacrifice He made for us, so we, too, may fully overcome all sin in Him and remember the price He paid for us! What wondrous love is this!!

"Christ's agony did not cease, but His depression and discouragement left Him. The storm had in nowise abated, but He who was its object was strengthened to meet its fury. He came forth calm and serene. A heavenly peace rested upon His bloodstained face. He had borne that which no human being could ever bear; for He had tasted the sufferings of death for every man." {The Desire of Ages, page 694, paragraph 1}

Let us never forget the infinite love of Jesus! It is as we yield the whole heart to Him that He cleanses us from sin, creates in us a clean heart and a new mind, makes us partakers of the divine nature, and imbues us with all of the fruits of the Spirit so that our lives are brought into willing, happy obedience to all the commandments of God as revealed in the Ten Commandments, including the commandment that invites us to remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy! Praise the Lord for God's gift of His Son to us!