Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--73--"Let Not Your Heart Be Troubled"  (Read 28096 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--73--"Let Not Your Heart Be Troubled"
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2017, 09:25:11 PM »
Amen. Our first lesson is to learn who we are, and our great need of help from outside of ourselves that we might do some good thing. The next lesson is to learn how that we might be changed that we might overcome the evil within. Praise God that He gave us His Son that we might not only be forgiven, but transformed in nature. What a miracle!!!

Through the indwelling Savior we will have power to obey all of His commandments:

All true obedience comes from the heart. It was heart work with Christ. And if we consent, He will so identify Himself with our thoughts and aims, so blend our hearts and minds into conformity to His will, that when obeying Him we shall be but carrying out our own impulses. The will, refined and sanctified, will find its highest delight in doing His service. When we know God as it is our privilege to know Him, our life will be a life of continual obedience. Through an appreciation of the character of Christ, through communion with God, sin will become hateful to us.

When we make a whole heart surrender to Christ, He though the Spirit will abide in us. Then we have power to obey as long as we continue to surrender the "whole" heart. We must have Jesus in order to have life eternal.

"Abide in Me, and I in you." Abiding in Christ means a constant receiving of His Spirit, a life of unreserved surrender to His service. The channel of communication must be open continually between man and his God. As the vine branch constantly draws the sap from the living vine, so are we to cling to Jesus, and receive from Him by faith the strength and perfection of His own character.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2018, 04:37:30 AM »
The work of the Holy Spirit to transform us into the image of Christ is the greatest gift God can give us! Praise God!!

"In describing to His disciples the office work of the Holy Spirit, Jesus sought to inspire them with the joy and hope that inspired His own heart. He rejoiced because of the abundant help He had provided for His church. The Holy Spirit was the highest of all gifts that He could solicit from His Father for the exaltation of His people. The Spirit was to be given as a regenerating agent, and without this the sacrifice of Christ would have been of no avail. The power of evil had been strengthening for centuries, and the submission of men to this satanic captivity was amazing. Sin could be resisted and overcome only through the mighty agency of the Third Person of the Godhead, who would come with no modified energy, but in the fullness of divine power. It is the Spirit that makes effectual what has been wrought out by the world's Redeemer. It is by the Spirit that the heart is made pure. Through the Spirit the believer becomes a partaker of the divine nature. Christ has given His Spirit as a divine power to overcome all hereditary and cultivated tendencies to evil, and to impress His own character upon His church."  {The Desire of Ages, page 671, paragraph 2}

Let us receive this promise and let God work in us to will and to do of His good pleasure as we behold the loveliness of Jesus!!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2018, 05:37:18 AM »
Amen pastor Sean! Through the  Spirit we can be overcomers!

I was looking at this, this morning....

"Believe Me that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me: or else believe Me for the very works' sake." Their faith might safely rest on the evidence given in Christ's works, works that no man, of himself, ever had done, or ever could do. Christ's work testified to His divinity. Through Him the Father had been revealed.
    If the disciples believed this vital connection between the Father and the Son, their faith would not forsake them when they saw Christ's suffering and death to save a perishing world. Christ was seeking to lead them from their low condition of faith to the experience they might receive if they truly realized what He was,--God in human flesh. He desired them to see that their faith must lead up to God, and be anchored there. How earnestly and perseveringly our compassionate Saviour sought to prepare His disciples for the storm of temptation that was soon to beat upon them. He would have them hid with Him in God.
     As Christ was speaking these words, the glory of God was shining from His countenance, and all present felt a sacred awe as they listened with rapt attention to His words. Their hearts were more decidedly drawn to Him; and as they were drawn to Christ in greater love, they were drawn to one another. They felt that heaven was very near, and that the words to which they listened were a message to them from their heavenly Father.

Just look at what Christ desires for us. He desires for us a faith that will not fail. Even during bad times. He may not be physically with us now but as pastor Sean's post pointed out He leads now through the agency of the Holy Spirit and if we will submit and not complain during temptations and trials our faith can grow and become strong!
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Dorine

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2018, 08:12:06 AM »
....."But to pray in Christ's name means much. It means that we are to accept His character, manifest His spirit, and work His works. The Saviour's promise is given on condition. "If ye love Me," He says, "keep My commandments." He saves men, not in sin, but from sin; and those who love Him will show their love by obedience.
     All true obedience comes from the heart. It was heart work with Christ. And if we consent, He will so identify Himself with our thoughts and aims, so blend our hearts and minds into conformity to His will, that when obeying Him we shall be but carrying out our own impulses. The will, refined and sanctified, will find its highest delight in doing His service. When we know God as it is our privilege to know Him, our life will be a life of continual obedience. Through an appreciation of the character of Christ, through communion with God, sin will become hateful to us."

My deepest desire today is to hate sin so much that I would rather die than to yield to selfish desires. When we experience that oneness with Christ that He wants with us we will have no fears controlling our lives.  How sad Jesus was when He saw how dull and blind the disciples were. What a blessed Saviour. So longsuffering and merciful.

So many beautiful truths could be quoted here but this is one I really liked.  "While He was building mansions for them, they were to build characters after the divine similitude."  He is responsible for building our home in heaven and as we daily submit our lives to Him He is building characters in us that will fit us for our home with Him.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2018, 05:54:35 AM »
I love how Jesus wants to give us real, lasting peace in the truth as it is in Him. Erroneous, false theories misshape the character; we need Christ to set us free from all that would hinder us heavenward!

"The Comforter is called 'the Spirit of truth.' His work is to define and maintain the truth. He first dwells in the heart as the Spirit of truth, and thus He becomes the Comforter. There is comfort and peace in the truth, but no real peace or comfort can be found in falsehood. It is through false theories and traditions that Satan gains his power over the mind. By directing men to false standards, he misshapes the character. Through the Scriptures the Holy Spirit speaks to the mind, and impresses truth upon the heart. Thus He exposes error, and expels it from the soul. It is by the Spirit of truth, working through the word of God, that Christ subdues His chosen people to Himself." {The Desire of Ages, page 671, paragraph 1}

I choose Christ, the truth, to abide in my heart through His word by the Holy Spirit! What a joy to walk and talk with Him through the day each step heavenward as did Enoch. May we each cultivate that abiding intimacy with Christ through unbroken union and communion with God in Christ by the Holy Spirit! A series of uninterrupted victories awaits us in Christ to be seen as such in the great hereafter as we look to Christ and see in His loveliness of character the pattern of life that He will work out in and through us as we cooperate with Him!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2018, 06:59:10 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean! What a chapter! There is not excuse for not understanding what it means to be a converted Christian. How is it that we have power to not sin? And, the fact that we can do no good thing unless we are partakers of God's divine nature is so clearly revealed in today's reading. If one is filled with the Spirit, they will not be ignorant of the power of grace to transform sinners into saints. The source of all power is ours if we will allow God's grace (revealed in the Word) into the heart. We are told in simple terms what it means to abide in Christ. It means that Christ abides in us, in the heart. Then, His character becomes our character. His holiness becomes our holiness. It is Christ, not I. Then, we understand why it is when we love Jesus supremely, every one of the fruits of the Holy Spirit is seen in the life, not one is missing.

The life of the vine will be manifest in fragrant fruit on the branches. "He that abideth in Me," said Jesus, "and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without Me ye can do nothing." When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing.
     "My Father is the husbandman. Every branch in Me that beareth not fruit He taketh away." While the graft is outwardly united with the vine, there may be no vital connection. Then there will be no growth or fruitfulness. So there may be an apparent connection with Christ without a real union with Him by faith. A profession of religion places men in the church, but the character and conduct show whether they are in connection with Christ. If they bear no fruit, they are false branches. Their separation from Christ involves a ruin as complete as that represented by the dead branch. "If a man abide not in Me," said Christ, "he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned."
     "And every branch that beareth fruit, He purgeth [pruneth] it, that it may bring forth more fruit." From the chosen twelve who had followed Jesus, one as a withered branch was about to be taken away; the rest were to pass under the pruning knife of bitter trial. Jesus with solemn tenderness explained the purpose of the husbandman. The pruning will cause pain, but it is the Father who applies the knife. He works with no wanton hand or indifferent heart. There are branches trailing upon the ground; these must be cut loose from the earthly supports to which their tendrils are fastening. They are to reach heavenward, and find their support in God. The excessive foliage that draws away the life current from the fruit must be pruned off. The overgrowth must be cut out, to give room for the healing beams of the Sun of Righteousness. The husbandman prunes away the harmful growth, that the fruit may be richer and more abundant.
     "Herein is My Father glorified," said Jesus, "that ye bear much fruit." God desires to manifest through you the holiness, the benevolence, the compassion, of His own character. Yet the Saviour does not bid the disciples labor to bear fruit. He tells them to abide in Him. "If ye abide in Me," He says, "and My words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you." It is through the word that Christ abides in His followers. This is the same vital union that is represented by eating His flesh and drinking His blood. The words of Christ are spirit and life. Receiving them, you receive the life of the Vine. You live "by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." Matthew 4:4. The life of Christ in you produces the same fruits as in Him. Living in Christ, adhering to Christ, supported by Christ, drawing nourishment from Christ, you bear fruit after the similitude of Christ. 

When suffering great pain, this chapter has helped me understand that God allows it for my good and His glory. He is the One who is pruning away the things in my life that are reaching toward the earth. He wants to make room for more of His glory to reach me. Praise His holy name!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2018, 05:39:19 AM »
The disciples could not rejoice when they heard this. Fear fell upon them. They pressed close about the Saviour. Their Master and Lord, their beloved Teacher and Friend, He was dearer to them than life. To Him they had looked for help in all their difficulties, for comfort in their sorrows and disappointments. Now He was to leave them, a lonely, dependent company. Dark were the forebodings that filled their hearts.
     But the Saviour's words to them were full of hope. He knew that they were to be assailed by the enemy, and that Satan's craft is most successful against those who are depressed by difficulties. Therefore He pointed them away from "the things which are seen," to "the things which are not seen." 2 Corinthians 4:18. From earthly exile He turned their thoughts to the heavenly home.

I love this. Here is Christ as always looking out for His friends. Knowing that they were going to face hard times He gave them something to hope for and to cling to since they knew His Words to be truth. So for us also when the future looks dark and menacing we can rely on God's Word for hope and encouragement. Let not our hearts be troubled!

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2018, 06:42:42 AM »
Amen, Jim! By looking unto Jesus who is the source of our comfort and encouragement, no matter what our present situation we need not be troubled in heart!

God loves us so much that, apart from His Spirit teaching us constantly, it is incomprehensible. How do we even begin to start to take it in? By beholding we become changed. That God the Father would send His Son into a rebellious and sinful world to give His life to save us, to realize the infinite sacrifice of how the Holy Spirit is even now drawing our sinful souls and transforming them from glory to glory by causing us to look to Jesus and believe that He can save us from all our sin, this is such a miracle of wondrous love! It will ever remain a mystery, and it is this mystery that we have the privilege of contemplating, for by dwelling upon Jesus we become assimilated to Him in mind and character, revealing all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing because the heart has been cleansed by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. As long as this connection is maintained by a living faith surrender, there is no danger that we will decay or flourish. We are to abide in Him by appreciating and receiving the blood of Jesus that cleanses us from all sin, letting His words fill our thoughts so even our motives are the outflow of His love! Hallelujah!!!

"The disciples still failed to understand Christ's words in their spiritual sense, and again He explained His meaning. By the Spirit, He said, He would manifest Himself to them. 'The Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in My name, He shall teach you all things.' No more will you say, I cannot comprehend. No longer will you see through a glass, darkly. You shall 'be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; and to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge.' Ephesians 3:18, 19."  {The Desire of Ages, page 670, paragraph 1}

Dorine

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2018, 09:25:22 AM »
  "At all times and in all places, in all sorrows and in all afflictions, when the outlook seems dark and the future perplexing, and we feel helpless and alone, the Comforter will be sent in answer to the prayer of faith. Circumstances may separate us from every earthly friend; but no circumstance, no distance, can separate us from the heavenly Comforter. Wherever we are, wherever we may go, He is always at our right hand to support, sustain, uphold, and cheer." 

Isn't this the most comforting and uplifting promise. What a sweet, loving Saviour we serve. I need Him every moment, every hour, throughout the day.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2018, 10:00:37 PM »
Amen, amen, and amen!  What a chapter!!

There is so much we can write on!  But, there is a personal experience I have that compels me to speak of this paragraph.

"And every branch that beareth fruit, He purgeth [pruneth] it, that it may bring forth more fruit." From the chosen twelve who had followed Jesus, one as a withered branch was about to be taken away; the rest were to pass under the pruning knife of bitter trial. Jesus with solemn tenderness explained the purpose of the husbandman. The pruning will cause pain, but it is the Father who applies the knife. He works with no wanton hand or indifferent heart. There are branches trailing upon the ground; these must be cut loose from the earthly supports to which their tendrils are fastening. They are to reach heavenward, and find their support in God. The excessive foliage that draws away the life current from the fruit must be pruned off. The overgrowth must be cut out, to give room for the healing beams of the Sun of Righteousness. The husbandman prunes away the harmful growth, that the fruit may be richer and more abundant.

When one is suffering greatly, this truth means so very much. It is our heavenly Father who holds the knife. He allows the suffering because He loves us and wants us to reach heavenward. Yes, His  pruning causes pain, but we may rejoice in our suffering for we can have great joy knowing that all things work together for good to those who love the Lord! Look up for our redemption draweth nigh!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2018, 03:02:51 AM »
Victory! Do you desire to experience victory? We may have continual victory in Jesus--but we must remember that it will look like the victory Jesus gained--not the glory of this world, but the privilege of being a continuous, unobstructed channel to communicate the character of God to a world that does not know His tender, pitying love. As long as by faith we are connected to Christ in full surrender so the heart is made and kept pure, all of "the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing" {The Desire of Ages, page 676, paragraph 4}.

Here is how we may also experience victory--just as Jesus experienced it through the Holy Spirit:

"Christ rejoiced that He could do more for His followers than they could ask or think. He spoke with assurance, knowing that an almighty decree had been given before the world was made. He knew that truth, armed with the omnipotence of the Holy Spirit, would conquer in the contest with evil; and that the bloodstained banner would wave triumphantly over His followers. He knew that the life of His trusting disciples would be like His, a series of uninterrupted victories, not seen to be such here, but recognized as such in the great hereafter. {The Desire of Ages, page 679, paragraph 2}

An illustration that strikingly reveals this kind of victory is how when a person is stitching something together, there are seen on the underside the knots and the threads that are not beautiful. But God sees the eternal pattern He is weaving in our lives, and He invites us by faith to keep our eyes fixed on the heavenly Pattern--Jesus--for He is working through trials, tribulations, and life experiences here to reveal Christ's character through us. We will only fully realize the beauty and glory of that character in heaven--but the joy of His presence in our lives begins now! Praise God for such a miracle at work in us by the power of grace!   

Dorine

« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2018, 05:21:03 AM »
"As yet the disciples were unacquainted with the Saviour's unlimited resources and power. He said to them, "Hitherto have ye asked nothing in My name." John 16:24. He explained that the secret of their success would be in asking for strength and grace in His name. He would be present before the Father to make request for them. The prayer of the humble suppliant He presents as His own desire in that soul's behalf. Every sincere prayer is heard in heaven. It may not be fluently expressed; but if the heart is in it, it will ascend to the sanctuary where Jesus ministers, and He will present it to the Father without one awkward, stammering word, beautiful and fragrant with the incense of His own perfection." 

How I love to meditate upon this paragraph. If we want to see victory and success we are to ask for it in the name of Jesus. Then Jesus takes that simple sincere prayer and presents it to the Father as His own desire on behalf of the one praying. He presents it flawless to His Father. 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2018, 10:42:28 PM »
Amen and amen! Amid life's trials and tribulations, all we have to do is ask Jesus for help. First for ourselves that we might be wholly converted to His ways, and then for others that they might also be truly converted from love of self to love of God and our neighbors.

Can we have peace amid the storm? Jesus did and He bids us to have the same peace no matter where we find ourselves. Three months ago a fire burned down my house in the mountains, but I have made no mournful statement about it. God gives us peace and promises that all things work for our good if we love Him supremely. There are many who have lost all in the Campfire, but because there are truly converted Christian among these, they too are not hanging their heads. They know that "all things work together for good to those who love God" with the whole heart. What a testimony!!

In His discourse to the disciples, Jesus made no mournful allusion to His own sufferings and death. His last legacy to them was a legacy of peace. He said, "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

Amen! We may have that peace that passes all understanding in the midst of the storm.

Beacon

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2019, 05:28:42 AM »
"After the Lord’s ascension, the disciples realized the fulfillment of His promise. The scenes of the crucifixion, resurrection, and ascension of Christ were a living reality to them. They saw that the prophecies had been literally fulfilled. They searched the Scriptures, and accepted their teaching with a faith and assurance unknown before. They knew that the divine Teacher was all that He had claimed to be. As they told their experience, and exalted the love of God, men’s hearts were melted and subdued, and multitudes believed on Jesus. The Saviour’s promise to His disciples is a promise to His church to the end of time.

[b]How much time are we spending searching the Scriptures? Could it be that our walk with Jesus is not what it should be in our BUSY or DISTRACTED  lives? I remember hearing sometime ago that someone said... "BUSY" could mean= Being Under Satan's Yoke. [/b]

God did not design that His wonderful plan to redeem men should achieve only insignificant results. All who will go to work, trusting not in what they themselves can do, but in what God can do for and through them, will certainly realize the fulfillment of His promise. Greater works than these shall ye do,” He declares; “because I go unto My Father.”

Could it be that we have been trying to live and share the message of Jesus without recognizing that we have not taken the time personally to get charged up spiritually? There is an old saying that goes like this..." You cannot give to others what you don't have yourself ".  So I would like to invite you to join with me and re-commit to Jesus to spend time with Him and make sure our spiritual batteries are FULLY CHARGED. Then I believe that the Holy Spirit will be able to use us to do greater things for Jesus and hasten His return.  
Look up and listen for the shout.

Dorine

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2019, 06:40:10 AM »
"Christ has promised the gift of the Holy Spirit to His church, and the promise belongs to us as much as to the first disciples. But like every other promise, it is given on conditions. There are many who believe and profess to claim the Lord's promise; they talk about Christ and about the Holy Spirit, yet receive no benefit. They do not surrender the soul to be guided and controlled by the divine agencies. We cannot use the Holy Spirit. The Spirit is to use us. Through the Spirit God works in His people "to will and to do of His good pleasure." Philippians 2:13. But many will not submit to this. They want to manage themselves. This is why they do not receive the heavenly gift. Only to those who wait humbly upon God, who watch for His guidance and grace, is the Spirit given. The power of God awaits their demand and reception. This promised blessing, claimed by faith, brings all other blessings in its train. It is given according to the riches of the grace of Christ, and He is ready to supply every soul according to the capacity to receive. "

What a power packed chapter. How do you choose what impacts you the most? Today's reading has brought me new insight and appreciation for the gift of the Holy Spirit.  What a promise has been given to each of us. Yes with conditions but they have been made so simple and easy. Jesus wants our humble obedient hearts so that He may fulfill these promises of blessings to "EVERY soul according to the capacity to receive". That is huge. We make it hard when we want to be in charge.

Thank you Jesus for the gift of Your Holy Spirit. Help us to be willing to be in a continual state of submission so that You may work in us "to will and to do of Your good pleasure".

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2019, 07:10:34 AM »
Amen, Beacon and Dorine!

As we realize the gift of Christ's righteousness and truly accept Him into our hearts by a full surrender, we can know a joy this world cannot know unless they come to surrender to Jesus, too! The Holy Spirit comes to stamp Jesus' character upon us and make us like the One whom we adore! I appreciated anew today the thought of Christ's righteousness imputed to my life, and how the Father sees me as I am abiding in Christ:

"'In My name,' Christ bade His disciples pray. In Christ's name His followers are to stand before God. Through the value of the sacrifice made for them, they are of value in the Lord's sight. Because of the imputed righteousness of Christ they are accounted precious. For Christ's sake the Lord pardons those that fear Him. He does not see in them the vileness of the sinner. He recognizes in them the likeness of His Son, in whom they believe." {The Desire of Ages, page 667, paragraph 5}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2019, 09:08:43 AM »

What a power packed chapter.

Amen!! This chapter is full of light that needs to be understood in the church. There is nothing that explains the office of the Holy Spirit as fully as what we read here. It is why we always pray for the Holy Spirit before we open the Bible. We need Him to understand spiritual things.

And, so much more in the chapter. How about a better understanding of our suffering?

"If a man abide not in Me," said Christ, "he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned."
     "Herein is My Father glorified," said Jesus, "that ye bear much fruit." God desires to manifest through you the holiness, the benevolence, the compassion, of His own character. Yet the Saviour does not bid the disciples labor to bear fruit. He tells them to abide in Him. "If ye abide in Me," He says, "and My words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you." It is through the word that Christ abides in His followers. This is the same vital union that is represented by eating His flesh and drinking His blood. The words of Christ are spirit and life. Receiving them, you receive the life of the Vine. You live "by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." Matthew 4:4. The life of Christ in you produces the same fruits as in Him. Living in Christ, adhering to Christ, supported by Christ, drawing nourishment from Christ, you bear fruit after the similitude of Christ. 

Let's move beyond baptism and repentance to feed upon meat instead of milk. We see here how it is that after conversion when we received every one of the fruits of the Spirit, we will more perfectly reflect the character of our Savior. How so? What do we get when we are already perfect in Christ reflecting love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance? "The life of Christ in you produces the same fruits as in Him."

The answer is given in this paragraph and reveals why it is that the true Christian, the "good" ones, will suffer. Why do bad things happen to "good" people if your God is so powerful? Why does He not stop the evil in the world if He is a God of love? Here is why:

When we think of "perfect" we do not think the object can be improved upon. But, not so with the converted Christian. He is perfect in the sense that His heart has been cleansed as white as snow. But, there is still room for growth. He may become more perfect. How, when all of the fruits are already in the life?  "The fruit may be richer and more abundant."

If we want to be more like Jesus, then we need to become more patient, even though we are already patient. God will not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can bear if we are abiding in Him. But, we can bear more if we are allowed to experience more tribulation when abiding in Christ. Listen to the wisdom of God explain how it works in the Book of Romans:

5:3   And not only [so], but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; 
 5:4   And patience, experience; and experience, hope: 
 5:5   And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us. 

Our tribulations will bring about more patience, and we will gain an experience that better prepares us for the trials that are coming. And, when abiding in Christ, we are His witnesses that reveal His love to a world that is soon to perish.

Yes, it is the Father that holds the knife, but He is so very careful as He prunes away the things we think we need. What are are needs? Jesus is our need. If we have Jesus then we have all we need. His promises are sure to all who love Him supremely.

Beacon

« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2019, 09:31:59 PM »
"After the Lord’s ascension, the disciples realized the fulfillment of His promise. The scenes of the crucifixion, resurrection, and ascension of Christ were a living reality to them. They saw that the prophecies had been literally fulfilled. They searched the Scriptures, and accepted their teaching with a faith and assurance unknown before. They knew that the divine Teacher was all that He had claimed to be. As they told their experience, and exalted the love of God, men’s hearts were melted and subdued, and multitudes believed on Jesus. "{DA 667.1}

"The Saviour’s promise to His disciples is a promise to His church to the end of time. God did not design that His wonderful plan to redeem men should achieve only insignificant results. All who will go to work, trusting not in what they themselves can do, but in what God can do for and through them, will certainly realize the fulfillment of His promise. “Greater works than these shall ye do,” He declares; “because I go unto My Father.” {DA 667.2}

Let our prayer be in essence what the words of this song reflect. (From SDA Hymanl #269)

Come, Holy Spirit, heavenly Dove,
With all Thy quickening powers;
Kindle a flame of sacred love
In these cold hearts of ours.

O raise our thoughts from things below,
From vanities and toys!
Then shall we with fresh courage go
To reach eternal joys.

Awake our souls to joyful songs;
Let pure devotions rise;
Till praise employs our thankful tongues,
And doubt forever dies.

Father, we would no longer live
At this poor, dying rate;
To Thee our thankful love we give,
For Thine to us is great.

Come, Holy Spirit, heavenly Dove,
With all Thy quickening powers;
Come, shed abroad a Savior’s love,
And that shall kindle ours.

[/b]
Look up and listen for the shout.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2019, 06:53:40 AM »

O raise our thoughts from things below,
From vanities and toys!
Then shall we with fresh courage go
To reach eternal joys.

Awake our souls to joyful songs;
Let pure devotions rise;
Till praise employs our thankful tongues,
And doubt forever dies.

Amen Brother  Beacon!  These two verses brought to mind this truth found in today's reading.

Our suffering in this world is often that we might have our eyes turned to the unseen world, to the healing beams of the Sun of Righteousness. When we give the whole heart to Jesus, it is because we know Him, because we have seen His grace and taken it into the heart.

All true obedience comes from the heart. It was heart work with Christ. And if we consent, He will so identify Himself with our thoughts and aims, so blend our hearts and minds into conformity to His will, that when obeying Him we shall be but carrying out our own impulses. The will, refined and sanctified, will find its highest delight in doing His service. When we know God as it is our privilege to know Him, our life will be a life of continual obedience. Through an appreciation of the character of Christ, through communion with God, sin will become hateful to us.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2019, 09:06:09 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Brother Richard!

Christ's purpose for us is so wonderful, for He promises to fill us with the Holy Spirit so His character is perfectly reproduced in His people! What does that character look like in practical life?

"But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his" (Romans 8:9).

The character of Christ comes to us by the Spirit of God! We get to abide in Him through a full-heart surrender like the branch in the vine!

"The life of the vine will be manifest in fragrant fruit on the branches. 'He that abideth in Me,' said Jesus, 'and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without Me ye can do nothing.' When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, page 676, paragraph 4}

We will reveal all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing when Christ is living in the heart by faith and purifying our motives and thoughts. We all face temptations, but we can choose to have Christ remain in the heart and mind by a continual surrender of our will to Him motivated by beholding His loveliness of character!