Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--67--Woes on the Pharisees  (Read 19363 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--67--Woes on the Pharisees
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2020, 08:49:29 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. If we are filled with the Spirit, we will rebuke the sins in the church, even at the highest level. And, we will manifest the character of Christ in doing so.

I still arrived at my appointment on time.

Amen Brother Beacon!  God is so very good. He works these things out for us when we follow His leading.

"Woes on the Pharisees."  Because of the apostasy in Israel, woes were coming upon them. Jesus wanted to help those who were seeking truth, and needed to point out the sins in Israel. He had set before these leaders their real condition, and the retribution sure to follow persistence in their evil deeds. The warning had been faithfully given. Yet another work remained for Christ to do. Another purpose was still to be accomplished....... In the parables which Christ had spoken, it was His purpose both to warn the rulers and to instruct the people who were willing to be taught. But there was need to speak yet more plainly. Through their reverence for tradition and their blind faith in a corrupt priesthood, the people were enslaved. These chains Christ must break. The character of the priests, rulers, and Pharisees must be more fully exposed. 

When we understand our responsibility, similar to what we see Christ did, how shall we do it?

Christ unsparingly condemned abuses, but He was careful not to lessen obligation. He rebuked the selfishness that extorted and misapplied the widow's gifts. At the same time He commended the widow who brought her offering for God's treasury. Man's abuse of the gift could not turn God's blessing from the giver. 

Christ spoke as a judge to those before Him. His voice, that had so often been heard in gentleness and entreaty, was now heard in rebuke and condemnation. The listeners shuddered. Never was the impression made by His words and His look to be effaced.
     Christ's indignation was directed against the hypocrisy, the gross sins, by which men were destroying their own souls, deceiving the people and dishonoring God. In the specious deceptive reasoning of the priests and rulers He discerned the working of satanic agencies. Keen and searching had been His denunciation of sin; but He spoke no words of retaliation. He had a holy wrath against the prince of darkness; but He manifested no irritated temper. So the Christian who lives in harmony with God, possessing the sweet attributes of love and mercy, will feel a righteous indignation against sin; but he will not be roused by passion to revile those who revile him. Even in meeting those who are moved by a power from beneath to maintain falsehood, in Christ he will still preserve calmness and self-possession. 

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2020, 05:36:05 PM »
"Christ's indignation was directed against the hypocrisy, the gross sins, by which men were destroying their own souls, deceiving the people and dishonoring God. In the specious deceptive reasoning of the priests and rulers He discerned the working of satanic agencies. Keen and searching had been His denunciation of sin; but He spoke no words of retaliation. He had a holy wrath against the prince of darkness; but He manifested no irritated temper. So the Christian who lives in harmony with God, possessing the sweet attributes of love and mercy, will feel a righteous indignation against sin; but he will not be roused by passion to revile those who revile him. Even in meeting those who are moved by a power from beneath to maintain falsehood, in Christ he will still preserve calmness and self-possession."

If we are daily walking with Jesus through prayer and reading from His Holy Word, surrendering with a total desire to be a genuine living model of true Christianity, we are promised that in what ever circumstances we find ourselves to be faced with we will be provided through the Holy Spirit the power to display the transforming love and compassion of Jesus. One of God's promises, amoung many, is found in....

Isaiah 26:3 "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee."
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2020, 09:23:16 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

What a blessing it is to be able to abide in Christ and experience His character of selfless love as we let Him serve and bless others through us. We can offer our lives in willing service because He first loved us, and came to seek and save the lost.

"'But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant. And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.' Again and again Christ had taught that true greatness is measured by moral worth. In the estimation of heaven, greatness of character consists in living for the welfare of our fellow men, in doing works of love and mercy. Christ the King of glory was a servant to fallen man." {The Desire of Ages, page 613, paragraph 4}

We find our highest joy in service and blessing others, even as Jesus went about doing good and found joy in His Father's will. Often He was found in prayer--interceding for those whose hearts could be reached with the power of grace to transform them from sinners trapped by Satan in the works of the flesh into converted saints who would manifest through complete surrender to Him all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2020, 05:37:45 AM »
"The gems of truth that fell from Christ's lips on that eventful day were treasured in many hearts. For them new thoughts started into life, new aspirations were awakened, and a new history began. After the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ, these persons came to the front, and fulfilled their divine commission with a wisdom and zeal corresponding to the greatness of the work. They bore a message that appealed to the hearts of men, weakening the old superstitions that had long dwarfed the lives of thousands. Before their testimony human theories and philosophies became as idle fables. Mighty were the results flowing from the words of the Saviour to that wondering, awestruck crowd in the temple at Jerusalem."

It's thrilling to me to anticipate eternity where we will hear from the lips of these very people their story. May the story we tell and the life we live right now be a testimony to the wonder working power that the words of Jesus has on the heart that is open.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2020, 04:38:37 AM »
Look upon upon the countenance of Jesus as He yearns over His people: "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not! Behold, your house is left unto you desolate. For I say unto you, Ye shall not see Me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is He that cometh in the name of the Lord" (Matthew 23:37-39).

"Divine pity marked the countenance of the Son of God as He cast one lingering look upon the temple and then upon His hearers. In a voice choked by deep anguish of heart and bitter tears He exclaimed, 'O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!' This is the separation struggle. In the lamentation of Christ the very heart of God is pouring itself forth. It is the mysterious farewell of the long-suffering love of the Deity." {The Desire of Ages, page 620, paragraph 1}

As we look upon Jesus, we see that there is so much pain in His heart over His wayward children. Let us lessen the pain of the heart of God by helping others see His true character, for when even one sinner repents, all heaven rejoices! As we receive the gift of repentance from Jesus by beholding the goodness of God and realizing it true in our experience, others may also come a knowledge of the truth and turn in full surrender to Christ, so He may transform the life by His atoning blood and the infilling of the Holy Spirit! Let us yield fully to Jesus!!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2020, 05:23:35 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. The exact thoughts impressed me as I read this chapter this morning. As sad as the situation was we are not left there but we are told of the marvelous results of His words that day.

"The gems of truth that fell from Christ's lips on that eventful day were treasured in many hearts. For them new thoughts started into life, new aspirations were awakened, and a new history began. After the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ, these persons came to the front, and fulfilled their divine commission with a wisdom and zeal corresponding to the greatness of the work. They bore a message that appealed to the hearts of men, weakening the old superstitions that had long dwarfed the lives of thousands. Before their testimony human theories and philosophies became as idle fables. Mighty were the results flowing from the words of the Saviour to that wondering, awestruck crowd in the temple at Jerusalem."
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2020, 03:25:42 PM »
"It is the motive that gives character to our acts, stamping them with ignominy or with high moral worth. Not the great things which every eye sees and every tongue praises does God account most precious. The little duties cheerfully done, the little gifts which make no show, and which to human eyes may appear worthless, often stand highest in His sight. A heart of faith and love is dearer to God than the most costly gift. The poor widow gave her living to do the little that she did. She deprived herself of food in order to give those two mites to the cause she loved. And she did it in faith, believing that her heavenly Father would not overlook her great need. It was this unselfish spirit and childlike faith that won the Saviour's commendation."

Let us join with King David as we reflect on the words above and also the thoughts of Psalms 25.  "Unto thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul. O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me. Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: let them be ashamed which transgress without cause. Shew me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths." We need to see our great need for Divine Guidance. Jesus said " Without Me Ye can do nothing " If we truly want to Be Like Jesus we must not let the activities of daily living crowd Him out. If we want real power to live from Him we must prioritize our time each day by putting Jesus first--Others second--Your self last. Then you will be filled with real J-O-Y that will radiate His love out to others.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2020, 06:57:37 AM »
He is looking upon us now. Jesus years for us and desires our entire heart to be melted and subdued by His divine grace. As surely as He yearned over the people of Jerusalem in 31 AD, so surely does He now yearn over the plight of His church today--and His desire for true revival and reformation WILL BEAR FRUIT!

"Divine pity marked the countenance of the Son of God as He cast one lingering look upon the temple and then upon His hearers. In a voice choked by deep anguish of heart and bitter tears He exclaimed, "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!" This is the separation struggle. In the lamentation of Christ the very heart of God is pouring itself forth. It is the mysterious farewell of the long-suffering love of the Deity." {The Desire of Ages, page 620, paragraph 1}

Yet Jesus does not say farewell to us, for mercy still lingers at present. Today He invites all who will come to surrender unreservedly to Him so that by the miracle of His grace He may imbue us with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing! Only as we abide in Christ is there eternal life! When Christ finishes His ministry in the heavenly sanctuary, the close of probation comes, so now He invites us to do all we can by union and communion with Him to go forth to seek and to save the lost before what happened to Jerusalem becomes the plight of the lost of this world. Lift up the trumpet! Jesus is coming again!

Beacon

« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2020, 07:05:16 AM »
"If Christ were on earth today, surrounded by those who bear the title of "Reverend" or "Right Reverend," would He not repeat His saying, "Neither be ye called masters: for One is your Master, even Christ"?

The Scripture declares of God, "Holy and reverend is His name." Psalm 111:9.

To what human being is such a title befitting? How little does man reveal of the wisdom and righteousness it indicates! How many of those who assume this title are misrepresenting the name and character of God! Alas, how often have worldly ambition, despotism, and the basest sins been hidden under the broidered garments of a high and holy office!

The Saviour continued: "But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant. And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted."

Again and again Christ had taught that true greatness is measured by moral worth. In the estimation of heaven, greatness of character consists in living for the welfare of our fellow men, in doing works of love and mercy. Christ the King of glory was a servant to fallen man.

Today let us be earnest and walk humbly with our God and in all our interactions with others, as we strive to represent Jesus may it always be our aim to bring attention to Jesus and not to self.

Dorine

« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2020, 05:28:24 AM »
After the heavy reading of the woes of this chapter I found peace and calmness in these words....

"Christ's indignation was directed against the hypocrisy, the gross sins, by which men were destroying their own souls, deceiving the people and dishonoring God. In the specious deceptive reasoning of the priests and rulers He discerned the working of satanic agencies. Keen and searching had been His denunciation of sin; but He spoke no words of retaliation. He had a holy wrath against the prince of darkness; but He manifested no irritated temper. So the Christian who lives in harmony with God, possessing the sweet attributes of love and mercy, will feel a righteous indignation against sin; but he will not be roused by passion to revile those who revile him. Even in meeting those who are moved by a power from beneath to maintain falsehood, in Christ he will still preserve calmness and self-possession."

This comes by the work of the Holy Spirit to the heart of the converted Christian.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2020, 05:03:03 AM »
"It is the motive that gives character to our acts, stamping them with ignominy or with high moral worth. Not the great things which every eye sees and every tongue praises does God account most precious. The little duties cheerfully done, the little gifts which make no show, and which to human eyes may appear worthless, often stand highest in His sight. A heart of faith and love is dearer to God than the most costly gift. The poor widow gave her living to do the little that she did. She deprived herself of food in order to give those two mites to the cause she loved. And she did it in faith, believing that her heavenly Father would not overlook her great need. It was this unselfish spirit and childlike faith that won the Saviour's commendation." {The Desire of Ages, page 615, paragraph 3}

Beacon

« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2020, 06:44:10 AM »
"A heart of faith and love is dearer to God than the most costly gift. The poor widow gave her living to do the little that she did. She deprived herself of food in order to give those two mites to the cause she loved. And she did it in faith, believing that her heavenly Father would not overlook her great need.

It was this unselfish spirit and childlike faith that won the Saviour's commendation.

Let us join with King David as we reflect on the words above and also the thoughts of Psalms 25."Shew me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths." We need to see our great need for Divine Guidance. Jesus said " Without Me Ye can do nothing " If we truly want to Be Like Jesus we must not let the activities of daily living crowd Him out. If we want real power to live for Him we must prioritize our time each day by putting Jesus first--Others second--Your self last. Then you will be filled with real J-O-Y that will radiate His love out to others.

Dorine

« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2020, 10:04:01 AM »
"Mighty were the results flowing from the words of the Saviour to that wondering, awestruck crowd in the temple at Jerusalem.      

But Israel as a nation had divorced herself from God. The natural branches of the olive tree were broken off. Looking for the last time upon the interior of the temple, Jesus said with mournful pathos, "Behold, your house is left unto you desolate. For I say unto you, Ye shall not see Me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is He that cometh in the name of the Lord." Hitherto He had called the temple His Father's house; but now, as the Son of God should pass out from those walls, God's presence would be withdrawn forever from the temple built to His glory. Henceforth its ceremonies would be meaningless, its services a mockery."

If my heart is saddened to read these woes I can only imagine the agony that gripped the Saviour. It is too late for those written of in this chapter but it's not too late for those today whose probation is still open. May we work as never before on behalf of those who are searching for something better but do not know where to find it. If our travel is hindered we need to pray for God to open up ways to reach the lost and comfort the fearful and hurting.

Philip T

« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2021, 07:41:58 AM »
  Christ unsparingly condemned abuses, but He was careful not to lessen obligation. He rebuked the selfishness that extorted and misapplied the widow's gifts. At the same time He commended the widow who brought her offering for God's treasury. Man's abuse of the gift could not turn God's blessing from the giver.

Jesus condemned abuses of God's plans for man, but did not condemn God's plans for man such as tithes and offerings, if they are misused by the church, that is not reason to withhold them God will bless for there being given with a willing, humble and contrite heart. Those who misuse them will face God in the judgement and held accountable for their actions. It is not our place to justify our not giving what God requires and the bases of someone else does with the funds given.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2021, 03:51:37 AM »
Amen, Brother Philip! We can be faithful no matter how unfaithful others may be--because God has an established church and we can be a part of the revival and reformation that He is bringing about in His time and way!

Happy Sabbath! Jesus can give us pure motives by recreating our hearts! Then all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be seen in our lives as we gladly obey all His Ten Commandments! Let us surrender the whole heart to Jesus so this will be our experience!

"It is the motive that gives character to our acts, stamping them with ignominy or with high moral worth. Not the great things which every eye sees and every tongue praises does God account most precious. The little duties cheerfully done, the little gifts which make no show, and which to human eyes may appear worthless, often stand highest in His sight. A heart of faith and love is dearer to God than the most costly gift. The poor widow gave her living to do the little that she did. She deprived herself of food in order to give those two mites to the cause she loved. And she did it in faith, believing that her heavenly Father would not overlook her great need. It was this unselfish spirit and childlike faith that won the Saviour's commendation." {The Desire of Ages, page 615, paragraph 3}

Praise the Lord for the opportunity to bless others when Jesus lives in us, the hope of glory!

Dorine

« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2021, 04:28:20 AM »
"It is the motive that gives character to our acts, stamping them with ignominy or with high moral worth. Not the great things which every eye sees and every tongue praises does God account most precious. The little duties cheerfully done, the little gifts which make no show, and which to human eyes may appear worthless, often stand highest in His sight. A heart of faith and love is dearer to God than the most costly gift. The poor widow gave her living to do the little that she did. She deprived herself of food in order to give those two mites to the cause she loved. And she did it in faith, believing that her heavenly Father would not overlook her great need. It was this unselfish spirit and childlike faith that won the Saviour's commendation."
What a lesson we have in this account of the poor widow. This is a subject I have been contemplating lately with questions and our reading today provides some answers. From a child I always thought that it should 'hurt' to sacrifice. We were very poor and I remember that when Dad got some money he would immediately put aside tithes and offerings and we would have nothing for food or very little. But the 'hurt' did not last long for the need would always be supplied in the same day by a family member or friend sending some money because they were impressed to do so. My dad's faithfulness left a lasting impression upon me that is when we put God first He will always provide for our needs. So what does 'sacrifice' mean to most of us today? Does sacrifice always need to 'hurt'?

Beacon

« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2021, 07:49:59 AM »
The Scripture declares of God, "Holy and reverend is His name." Psalm 111:9.

"To what human being is such a title befitting? How little does man reveal of the wisdom and righteousness it indicates! How many of those who assume this title are misrepresenting the name and character of God! Alas, how often have worldly ambition, despotism, and the basest sins been hidden under the broidered garments of a high and holy office!"

The Saviour continued: "But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant. And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted."

"Again and again Christ had taught that true greatness is measured by moral worth. In the estimation of heaven, greatness of character consists in living for the welfare of our fellow men, in doing works of love and mercy. Christ the King of glory was a servant to fallen man."

Today let us be earnest and walk humbly with our God and in all our interactions with others, as we strive to represent Jesus may it always be our aim to bring attention to Jesus and not to self.

Happy Sabbath to all of God's children around the world and beyond. What a Day that will when our Jesus we shall see and He takes us by the hand and leads us to the Promised Land. What a day...GLORIOUS DAY...That will be!!.