Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--55--Not With Outward Show  (Read 19611 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--55--Not With Outward Show
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 07:21:40 AM »
Amen, Richard!!

When we realize how we are to experience a transformation of character by having a full-heart surrender to God by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, we will appreciate true piety, true godliness, a way of life that is a continual expression of the self-sacrificing love of God in Christ, who gave all heaven in Christ to save us! How can we settle for less than to give all to Him who gave all for us?

"It is as true now as in apostolic days, that without the illumination of the divine Spirit, humanity cannot discern the glory of Christ. The truth and the work of God are unappreciated by a world-loving and compromising Christianity. Not in the ways of ease, of earthly honor or worldly conformity, are the followers of the Master found. They are far in advance, in the paths of toil, and humiliation, and reproach, in the front of the battle 'against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.' Ephesians 6:12, R. V. And now, as in Christ's day, they are misunderstood and reproached and oppressed by the priests and Pharisees of their time."    {The Desire of Ages, page 508, paragraph 4}

Let us renounce a Laodicean "world-loving and compromising Christianity," for by compromise with one known sin, we separate from God (see Isaiah 59:2) and come under condemnation (because sin leads to death). The Scripture shows clearly that such is not a true conversion, because supreme love for God cannot allow for the love of the world on the throne of the same heart. We either love Jesus supremely and our neighbor as ourselves because we have beheld His loveliness and surrendered all to Him, or we are unconverted and still overcome by unbelief. May we not be of those who love the world, but those who do God's will and abide forever because we discern the excellency of the spiritual nature of the kingdom of God that does not come with outward show.

1 John 2:15-17
15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2017, 07:47:58 AM »
How true Richard. Even those who seem to be born with such a loving, even temperament who put many professed Christians to shame, will show a miraculous transformation when converted. 

"Now, as in Christ's day, the work of God's kingdom lies not with those who are clamoring for recognition and support by earthly rulers and human laws, but with those who are declaring to the people in His name those spiritual truths that will work in the receivers the experience of Paul: "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me." Gal. 2:20. They will labor as did Paul for the benefit of men. He said, "Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us; we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God." 2Cor. 5:20

Scripture is so clear on the kingdom of God and what it is and how it works but minds are so dull. Man has a better way. Just like the disciples who although they ate, walked and talked with Jesus did not fully understand what Jesus was telling them because of the preconceived ideas of the Messiah's mission when He came. But oh! after Jesus left and their eyes were opened what regrets they had for not paying better attention to what He was telling them.

I don't want to have a dull mind. I don't want to have regrets down the road because I was clinging to my own ideas of what Christ is telling me in His word. I want to be like Paul who everyday was crucified with Christ and was able to say, "I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and Him crucified." 1 Cor.2:2
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2017, 04:24:14 AM »
Amen!!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2017, 05:27:14 AM »
Jesus answered, "The kingdom of God cometh not with outward show; [margin]: neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you." The kingdom of God begins in the heart. Look not here or there for manifestations of earthly power to mark its coming.

Hearing and reading Christ and and Him crucified will reach and touch the hearts and then people will demonstrate (show) their character and love for their fellow human beings. Is it any wonder that Christ did not start His career by campaigning for some issue of social justice? It would have no good without heart change first. No wonder we were given the following counsel.

1 John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2017, 05:30:45 AM »
Amen, Jim! Jesus did not dedicate His short pilgrimage on earth to changing worldly governments when the people were lost in sin and failed to see their need of heart change. Yet as souls were converted, the light and salt of true Christians would inevitably be a witness in those places. What a simple truth that shows us where we need to labor--for the conversion of souls to Christ, that their lives and characters may be transformed to reveal all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing--as this is the evidence that the kingdom of God has begun in the soul!

Jesus loves us and desires to establish His kingdom of grace in our hearts. As we behold the loveliness of Jesus and come into fellowship with Him, His love melts our hearts and motivates us to make a full surrender to Him, so that our fleshly, evil nature is crucified and we have the joy of becoming partakers of the "divine nature" (2 Peter 1:4).

May we realize where God's kingdom really is today:

Luke 17:20-22 "And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation: Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you. And he said unto the disciples, The days will come, when ye shall desire to see one of the days of the Son of man, and ye shall not see it."

Christ establishes His kingdom in hearts on an individual basis. We cannot pass a good enough law in any country that can MAKE a person be a true, converted Christian. We must come to Christ as we are, and recognize that the way the gospel was proclaimed in Christ's day--healing, teaching, and preaching--is how it is to go forth today. Jesus did not try to force the Romans to accept Him, but He did receive the Roman centurion who had faith in Him! Jesus works with each of us in a personal way. I am so thankful that His kingdom is big enough for each of us, but too narrow to allow the selfish principles of the world to be merged into it. Heaven begins in our souls when we surrender fully to Christ, and that experience of heaven is continued as we enjoy a ceaseless approaching to God through Christ. Look to Him and live!

"Now, as in Christ's day, the work of God's kingdom lies not with those who are clamoring for recognition and support by earthly rulers and human laws, but with those who are declaring to the people in His name those spiritual truths that will work in the receivers the experience of Paul: 'I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me.' Galatians 2:20. Then they will labor as did Paul for the benefit of men. He said, 'Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.' 2 Corinthians 5:20." {The Desire of Ages, page 510, paragraph 2}
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2017, 06:59:37 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean!  If we will learn of Him who gave all for us, we shall love Him. And, if we love Him supremely, then the kingdom of God is within because He is within.

The kingdom of God begins in the heart.

Amen, Jim! It was heartwork with Christ, so it will be with us. Before we plant seed in the garden, we must work the ground. Before we share Bible doctrine, we need to live Bible doctrine and do as did Christ, minister to the needs of the people that their hearts might be made soft.

But, the church remains on this Earth, when Jesus wanted to come years ago. What is the problem? Look at Israel and we will see what is the problem. We, like them, have been deceived. Even the disciples were blind to their dullness of mind. Deceptions abound today as they did then. Our eyes our blinded to the loveliness of Jesus and the truths He has entrusted to His people.

A herald had been sent from God to proclaim the coming of Christ, and to call the attention of the Jewish nation and of the world to His mission, that men might prepare for His reception. The wonderful personage whom John had announced had been among them for more than thirty years, and they had not really known Him as the One sent from God. Remorse took hold of the disciples because they had allowed the prevailing unbelief to leaven their opinions and becloud their understanding. The Light of this dark world had been shining amid its gloom, and they had failed to comprehend whence were its beams. They asked themselves why they had pursued a course that made it necessary for Christ to reprove them. They often repeated His conversations, and said, Why did we allow earthly considerations and the opposition of priests and rabbis to confuse our senses, so that we did not comprehend that a greater than Moses was among us, that One wiser than Solomon was instructing us? How dull were our ears! how feeble was our understanding!   

So too, has a herald been sent in our day to proclaim the coming of Christ that we might prepare a people for the soon coming of Jesus. At last the light is getting through. Look at our little group here who long to see a more clear revelation of our Lord! Jesus is coming soon. There are others around the world who are studying the life and teachings of Jesus. And, by beholding Him we are being prepared for His soon coming!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2018, 07:11:02 AM »
There are so many precious thoughts to comment on but this paragraph stood out to me this morning.

"The days will come," He said, turning to His disciples, "when ye shall desire to see one of the days of the Son of man, and ye shall not see it." Because it is not attended by worldly pomp, you are in danger of failing to discern the glory of My mission. You do not realize how great is your present privilege in having among you, though veiled in humanity, Him who is the life and the light of men. The days will come when you will look back with longing upon the opportunities you now enjoy to walk and talk with the Son of God. Because of their selfishness and earthliness, even the disciples of Jesus could not comprehend the spiritual glory which He sought to reveal unto them. It was not until after Christ's ascension to His Father, and the outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon the believers, that the disciples fully appreciated the Saviour's character and mission."

Is selfishness and earthliness keeping us from comprehending the spiritual glory that Jesus wants to reveal to us through the Holy Spirit? If we are not spending time each day in God's word where will we turn when our bibles are taken from us? We are living in serious times. Probation is about to close. We have to live in this world until Jesus comes but we are not to be part of it. Do we know what that means? We don't need to learn these lessons the hard way. We have the bible and Spirit of Prophecy to help us learn from the mistakes of others so that we do not repeat them. We are given counsel that covers every aspect of our lives. May God help us to open our eyes, ears and hearts and make Him our personal Friend and Saviour so that we will not come to a time of fateful regret. In my work and in my play I am impressed with the urgency of my need for continual surrender to Jesus. Today is my day of salvation.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2018, 07:56:06 AM »
Amen dear sister!Even as much time as we spend with Jesus, we still live in these vile bodies of evil flesh. There is no excuse for sin, but even in a converted state, we are not what we ought to be. We have not done that which we ought to have done. Like Daniel if Jesus were to appear, we would fall flat on our faces. The day is soon coming, when there will be no more Mediator. Are we working toward that end? Not like we ought to be. May God help us to spend more time in our Bibles, and more time in prayer.

I was impressed with the importance of this truth:

Jesus answered, "The kingdom of God cometh not with outward show; [margin]: neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you." The kingdom of God begins in the heart. Look not here or there for manifestations of earthly power to mark its coming. 

Jesus told a Laodicean church leader that he was in a lost state and would not enter heaven unless he was born again of the Spirit. What happens when we are born of the Spirit? He takes possession of the heart. He cleanses it. He writes God's law upon the heart. He is empowered to keep the law, to be obedient to all that he understands. It was heartwork with Christ and so it is with us. We need to have a perfect heart in order to do any good thing. "The kingdom of God begins in the heart." If we do not give Jesus the whole heart, then the Spirit will not come into it. And if we have not His Spirit, we are none of His (Romans 8:9).

As our sister has shared, today is the day of salvation. Today, we can give the whole heart to Christ. If we cannot, then let us pray what I do every day, "Lord take my heart for I can't give it. I believe, take away my wretched unbelief that I may know of your presence and the presence of Holy angels. Give me the Holy Spirit that I might see Jesus as I study to know you." Jesus always answers this prayer!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2018, 10:44:52 AM »
Amen dear sister Dorine and brother Richard! As we pray for Jesus to do a work in us that we so desperately need, let us continue to praise Him for how He answers exceedingly above all we can ask or think!

May it be our prayer that we allow Jesus to lead us moment-by-moment in the experience of the kingdom of God, the experience of being aware of His presence in the heart by the Holy Spirit as long as we are fully surrendered to Him and living up the light of His law that He has revealed to us. As we behold the loveliness of Jesus, we will see more fully what we ought to be, and we will be transformed more and more. May we not make things more difficult for ourselves and others by failing to take hold of the truth of Jesus' words for us today.

"A herald had been sent from God to proclaim the coming of Christ, and to call the attention of the Jewish nation and of the world to His mission, that men might prepare for His reception. The wonderful personage whom John had announced had been among them for more than thirty years, and they had not really known Him as the One sent from God. Remorse took hold of the disciples because they had allowed the prevailing unbelief to leaven their opinions and becloud their understanding. The Light of this dark world had been shining amid its gloom, and they had failed to comprehend whence were its beams. They asked themselves why they had pursued a course that made it necessary for Christ to reprove them. They often repeated His conversations, and said, Why did we allow earthly considerations and the opposition of priests and rabbis to confuse our senses, so that we did not comprehend that a greater than Moses was among us, that One wiser than Solomon was instructing us? How dull were our ears! how feeble was our understanding!" {The Desire of Ages, page 508, paragraph 1}   

Let us not pursue a course that makes Jesus sad, but rather one that makes Him glad--like choosing each day to spend a thoughtful hour with Him in beholding His character and life, and letting our lives become more and more clearly the revelation of His loveliness to those around us. He delights to reveal His beauty in the humble and teachable in heart. He will teach you and me today how to more like Him. Praise God!

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2018, 05:27:46 AM »
As the disciples searched the prophecies that testified of Christ, they were brought into fellowship with the Deity, and learned of Him who had ascended to heaven to complete the work He had begun on earth. They recognized the fact that in Him dwelt knowledge which no human being, unaided by divine agency, could comprehend. They needed the help of Him whom kings, prophets, and righteous men had foretold. With amazement they read and reread the prophetic delineations of His character and work. How dimly had they comprehended the prophetic scriptures! how slow they had been in taking in the great truths which testified of Christ!

This reminds me of a friend who recently was made aware of the blessings that come from understanding the prophecies surrounding the 2nd Coming of Christ. He is now studying the books of Daniel of Revelation as he never has before. He said that he didn't understand really how important they were.

Revelation 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

When the books of Daniel and Revelation are better understood, believers will have an entirely different religious experience. They will be given such glimpses of the open gates of heaven that heart and mind will be impressed with the character that all must develop in order to realize the blessedness which is to be the reward of the pure in heart. {TM 114.3}

The Lord will bless all who will seek humbly and meekly to understand that which is revealed in the Revelation. This book contains so much that is large with immortality and full of glory that all who read and search it earnestly receive the blessing to those “that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein.” {TM 114.4}
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Dorine

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2018, 06:54:27 AM »
Now, as in Christ's day, the work of God's kingdom lies not with those who are clamoring for recognition and support by earthly rulers and human laws, but with those who are declaring to the people in His name those spiritual truths that will work in the receivers the experience of Paul: "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me." Galatians 2:20. Then they will labor as did Paul for the benefit of men. He said, "Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God." 2 Corinthians 5:20. 

This paragraph paints such a vivid picture of what Christ has called me to be. An ambassador for Him. When we understand the obligations of an ambassador we will have an altogether different appreciation of our calling.

Ambassador: The highest-ranking person who represents his or her own government while living in another country.

We represent the highest government there is; the government of heaven. We are residing in a foreign country to bring the good news of salvation to those that are lost and with the ministry of reconciling the world to God. It's not a position of outward show but a position of humility. By daily abiding in Christ all the fruits of the Spirit will be manifested. What a calling!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2018, 07:17:35 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine!  We have a home far beyond the sun. The only thing we can take with us is our character and those we bring to Christ. Our labor here on Earth is to be witnesses of the power and love of Jesus that transforms the life. Jesus brings love, joy, and peace to all who will learn of Him. It is the heart that Jesus changes. It is the hard sinful heart that He wants to subdue. When we surrender it to Him, He will cleanse it whiter than snow. What a miracle! What an opportunity for fallen humanity!!

The kingdom of God comes not with outward show. The gospel of the grace of God, with its spirit of self-abnegation, can never be in harmony with the spirit of the world. The two principles are antagonistic. "The natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." 1 Corinthians 2:14.   

The world prizes outward show. The Pharisees were "whited sepulchers." They were outwardly white as snow, but inside the heart was putrid and rotten. If we will spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating the character of Jesus, His grace will not only save us, but change us into His image by the Spirit (2 Cor. 3:18).

This reminds me of a friend who recently was made aware of the blessings that come from understanding the prophecies surrounding the 2nd Coming of Christ. He is now studying the books of Daniel of Revelation as he never has before. He said that he didn't understand really how important they were.

Amen Jim. Revelation reveals much about God and the plan of salvation. It also reveals history, the present, and the future! It and Daniel are amazing Books!!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2018, 07:43:07 AM »
Sin is the problem; Jesus is the answer. May we uplift Jesus in word and deed today, and know that there are souls who will respond to the kingdom of God that begins in the soul, to the restoring power of the Holy Spirit who is able to subdue us to Himself and make us like Christ in mind and character.

"When the apostle Paul began his ministry in Corinth, that populous, wealthy, and wicked city, polluted by the nameless vices of heathenism, he said, 'I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.' 1 Corinthians 2:2. Writing afterward to some of those who had been corrupted by the foulest sins, he could say, 'But ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.' 'I thank my God always on your behalf, for the grace of God which is given you by Jesus Christ.' 1 Corinthians 6:11; 1:4." {The Desire of Ages, page 510, paragraph 1}

Jesus can wash us so that our thoughts and feelings combined, which make up our moral character, can be in subjection to His Holy Spirit. We may at times be tempted with disagreeable thoughts or feelings, but temptation is not sin. We do not have to yield to the suggestions of the enemy or the pull of our fallen nature. We can, by beholding the loveliness of Jesus, have Him work in us to will and to do of His good pleasure, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, and rejoicing that what He has begun in us, He will finish! Let us keep our eyes fixed on Jesus today!

Dorine

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2018, 04:51:39 AM »
"Not by the decisions of courts or councils or legislative assemblies, not by the patronage of worldly great men, is the kingdom of Christ established, but by the implanting of Christ's nature in humanity through the work of the Holy Spirit. "As many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God." John 1:12, 13. Here is the only power that can work the uplifting of mankind. And the human agency for the accomplishment of this work is the teaching and practicing of the word of God." 

What a privilege God has given to each one that receives Him. When He has our heart He will do mighty things for us and use us to bless others. I want to appreciate the opportunities and blessings God has put at my disposal. Not just appreciate them but to put them to full use as God and I work together to show the world that we are His in word and actions. Blessing to all on this Sabbath day.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2018, 01:14:10 PM »
Blessings to you, dear Sister Dorine!  Amen! When we receive Christ into our hearts, we cannot fail no matter what happens in our lives. Such a truth!!

I am continually amazed as we read the truth about the transforming power of grace. It is made so simple in these pages. How can church members not understand what it means to be a converted Christian? Spiritual things are truly spiritually discerned. Like the disciples in Christ's day, many are influenced by the "unbelief" surrounding us in God's church. Change is coming, and has already begun!

The truth and the work of God are unappreciated by a world-loving and compromising Christianity. Not in the ways of ease, of earthly honor or worldly conformity, are the followers of the Master found. They are far in advance, in the paths of toil, and humiliation, and reproach, in the front of the battle "against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places." Ephesians 6:12, R. V. And now, as in Christ's day, they are misunderstood and reproached and oppressed by the priests and Pharisees of their time.   
     The kingdom of God comes not with outward show. The gospel of the grace of God, with its spirit of self-abnegation, can never be in harmony with the spirit of the world. The two principles are antagonistic. "The natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." 1 Corinthians 2:14.   

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2018, 06:09:14 PM »
Amen, Richard and Dorine! Happy Sabbath!

Do you understand spiritual things to the point that you have chosen to respond to Christ's redeeming love in complete surrender of your heart, mind, and will to Him? If so, this is a supernatural miracle with which you cooperated. This change of heart, even the new birth, did not take place in your life without His divine grace drawing you to Himself. We cannot discern Christ's glorious character unless the Holy Spirit, bringing the creative word of God to bear upon our hearts, reveals Him to us. As we behold Christ in His exceeding loveliness, we are transformed in mind and character. Out thoughts and aspirations are elevated--for we have found in Him the reason for our creation and existence. We were created to know and love God, and give glory to Him!

"It is as true now as in apostolic days, that without the illumination of the divine Spirit, humanity cannot discern the glory of Christ. The truth and the work of God are unappreciated by a world-loving and compromising Christianity. Not in the ways of ease, of earthly honor or worldly conformity, are the followers of the Master found. They are far in advance, in the paths of toil, and humiliation, and reproach, in the front of the battle 'against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.' Ephesians 6:12, R. V. And now, as in Christ's day, they are misunderstood and reproached and oppressed by the priests and Pharisees of their time." {The Desire of Ages, page 508, paragraph 4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2018, 02:44:41 AM »
I love the emphasis in The Desire of Ages, and how we see Jesus lifted higher and higher. To have a true message to share, we must individually and personally know Christ by a full surrender. "I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and Him crucified." 1 Corinthians 2:2. Through a full surrender, the heart is renewed by divine grace so all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing are seen in the renewed life. This is contrast with the former identity in the flesh corrupted by some of the most degrading sins: "And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God" (1 Corinthians 6:11). Let us walk in the Spirit, even the new kingdom filled with Christ's self-sacrificing love!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2018, 06:08:22 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean.  God's grace is sufficient for what ever comes upon us. It is the power that transforms  our character. It regenerates the heart,  but not the flesh. It is the Holy Spirit that takes possession of the heart. Again  we  read of the power that is  available   to all sinners. Both Paul and Ellen  White want us to know of the grace of God.

In our Sabbath School  lessons  we have  been looking at the term  "in  Christ" which has been perverted in the church to allow many to believe they are in Christ when they are not. Today we read that  in  Christ  we are washed clean, we are sanctified  and justified by the Spirit. God wants us to know about the religion we have professed to believe  in. Daily we are being  taught  what it means to be "in  Christ." Jesus says  "Abide in me  and I in you."

"Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye [are] the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast [them] into the fire, and they are burned. If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples." John 15:3-8.

I labored with a pastor for years who did not believe we could  be sanctified  but were always in the process of  being sanctified. In other words he did not believe we could   be cleansed from sin. Yet, in today's reading we see otherwise. Man can be transformed at conversion.

"To be efficient, the cure must reach men individually, and must regenerate the heart.  Not by the decisions of courts or councils or legislative assemblies, not by the patronage of worldly great men, is the kingdom of Christ established, but by the implanting of Christ's nature in humanity through the work of the Holy Spirit. "As many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God." John 1:12, 13. Here is the only power that can work the uplifting of mankind. And the human agency for the accomplishment of this work is the teaching and practicing of the word of God."

It is the heart that is made new, cleansed as white as snow.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2019, 06:51:20 AM »
Share what God has done in your life; give a living testimony of what God's grace has done for you! But do not be discouraged when others do not understand or accept your message. Jesus' ministry testifies to the victorious power of persevering in His mission amid disciples who often did not grasp the depth of His lessons and purpose to come to this world from heaven to die as our Sacrifice. As the Holy Spirit comes to deeply imbue your heart as you yield fully to Jesus, know that He is able to transform your life in ways that exceed your highest expectations, and to move you into ministry in ways that will bring hope and healing to others. Let us plead for the illumination of the Holy Spirit, for without Him, we do not understand spiritual things, and we are liable to fail of appreciating the incredible gift of Jesus to our dark speck of a world!

"It is as true now as in apostolic days, that without the illumination of the divine Spirit, humanity cannot discern the glory of Christ. The truth and the work of God are unappreciated by a world-loving and compromising Christianity. Not in the ways of ease, of earthly honor or worldly conformity, are the followers of the Master found. They are far in advance, in the paths of toil, and humiliation, and reproach, in the front of the battle 'against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.' Ephesians 6:12, R. V. And now, as in Christ's day, they are misunderstood and reproached and oppressed by the priests and Pharisees of their time." {The Desire of Ages, page 508, paragraph 4}   

Let us not ask how little we may do for Christ, but by beholding His loveliness of character, He catapults us into the ways of toil, humiliation, and reproach which is a delight for His sake! After the Holy Spirit was poured out, how did the disciples look at suffering for Jesus? "And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name" (Acts 5:41). If we are truly converted, all of the fruits of the Spirit will be in our lives without one missing, continually increasing in maturity and depth, so that our desire and capacity to suffer for Christ grows to the point where Christ can safely bring His people through the time of trouble such as never was. We may safely trust in Christ who is able to keep us from falling--not at a later time, but moment-by-moment TODAY as we remain abiding in Him! Praise the Lord!!!

Dorine

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2019, 09:07:31 AM »
"Christ had actually come from God to a sinful world to save the fallen sons and daughters of Adam. The disciples now seemed, to themselves, of much less importance than before they realized this. They never wearied of rehearsing His words and works. His lessons, which they had but dimly understood, now came to them as a fresh revelation. The Scriptures became to them a new book." 

This is the experience of the truly converted Christian. When we invite the Holy Spirit each day into our hearts and lives we will have new revelations and appreciation of the mission and character of Jesus. We will not take our eyes off of Jesus because we realize who He is. The King of Kings and Lord of Lords; Our Saviour, Redeemer and Friend. We will not sleep when we should be awake. We will trust Him with our whole heart. The bible will become a treasure house of spiritual gems that will deepen our understanding and anchor us in truth. Then as the disciples were able to rejoice when brought to trying times and even prison and death; their experiences as well as others throughout history will give us the courage to trust Jesus fully and to bring us through whatever today and tomorrow holds for us.