Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--55--Not With Outward Show  (Read 11168 times)

Beacon

Re: The Desire of Ages--55--Not With Outward Show
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2020, 06:47:00 AM »
"The Saviour attempted no civil reforms. He attacked no national abuses, nor condemned the national enemies. He did not interfere with the authority or administration of those in power. He who was our example kept aloof from earthly governments. Not because He was indifferent to the woes of men, but because the remedy did not lie in merely human and external measures. To be efficient, the cure must reach men individually, and must regenerate the heart. "

God's counsel to us is "Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."Matthew 6:33 & Jesus says..."Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Matthew 11:28-30 Then we will be empowered to be useful servants of our Lord and become efficient laborers in His harvest field.

"Not by the decisions of courts or councils or legislative assemblies, not by the patronage of worldly great men, is the kingdom of Christ established, but by the implanting of Christ's nature in humanity through the work of the Holy Spirit. "As many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God." John 1:12, 13.

"Here is the only power that can work the uplifting of mankind, and the human agency for the accomplishment of this work is the teaching and practicing of the word of God."
Look up and listen for the shout.

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--55--Not With Outward Show
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2020, 07:30:53 AM »
It was not until after Christ's ascension to His Father, and the outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon the believers, that the disciples fully appreciated the Saviour's character and mission. After they had received the baptism of the Spirit, they began to realize that they had been in the very presence of the Lord of glory. As the sayings of Christ were brought to their remembrance, their minds were opened to comprehend the prophecies, and to understand the miracles which He had wrought. The wonders of His life passed before them, and they were as men awakened from a dream. They realized that "the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the Only-begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth." John 1:14. Christ had actually come from God to a sinful world to save the fallen sons and daughters of Adam.The disciples now seemed, to themselves, of much less importance than before they realized this. They never wearied of rehearsing His words and works. His lessons, which they had but dimly understood, now came to them as a fresh revelation. The Scriptures became to them a new book. 

Every time I read this chapter I am convicted of the danger that exists in thinking we know Jesus when in reality we may be far from Him. The talk and even the works do not prove you are a follower of Christ. It's where our heart is that makes the difference. When we hunger and thirst for truth and the righteousness of Christ all selfishness will be put away. A new character will be formed in us and be revealed through the fruit of the Spirit. If I have true love in my heart that comes only from God, He will give me joy that will radiate from us. He will give me a peace that passes all understanding. He will give me patience in all things, gentleness, goodness, and He will increase my faith as I yield to His leading. Not only will others see a difference but we also will know that God is working in our lives for what we once loved we now hate and what we once hated we now love. This is the work of God in our surrendered lives and as we cooperate with Him. It truly is a joy to know and follow Jesus.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14