Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--55--Not With Outward Show  (Read 19613 times)

Beacon

Re: The Desire of Ages--55--Not With Outward Show
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2019, 10:21:03 AM »
"Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world." John 18:36. He would not accept the earthly throne.... The government under which Jesus lived was corrupt and oppressive; on every hand were crying abuses,--extortion, intolerance, and grinding cruelty. Yet the Saviour attempted no civil reforms. He attacked no national abuses, nor condemned the national enemies. He did not interfere with the authority or administration of those in power. He who was our example kept aloof from earthly governments. Not because He was indifferent to the woes of men, but because the remedy did not lie in merely human and external measures. To be efficient, the cure must reach men individually, and must regenerate the heart."

Real change comes only from a Real Change in the Heart and that is only possible when we surrender fully to Jesus.

"Not by the decisions of courts or councils or legislative assemblies, not by the patronage of worldly great men, is the kingdom of Christ established, but by the implanting of Christ's nature in humanity through the work of the Holy Spirit. "As many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God." John 1:12, 13. Here is the only power that can work the uplifting of mankind. And the human agency for the accomplishment of this work is the teaching and practicing of the word of God. "

Enforced laws of any government regarding religion cannot produce an in-ward change of heart or  character!

" Now,as in Christ's day, the work of God's kingdom lies not with those who are clamoring for recognition and support by earthly rulers and human laws, but with those who are declaring to the people in His name those spiritual truths that will work in the receivers the experience of Paul: "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me." Galatians 2:20. Then they will labor as did Paul for the benefit of men. He said, "Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God." 2 Corinthians 5:20"

What an awesomely high honor it is to think that we have the opportunity of being an Ambassador for the King of Kings, The Lord of Lords. Our Saviour -- Jesus Christ. Let us adopt the motto, " Not I But Christ " and with humility go forth to share the glad tidings both by His Word and Living Example where ever we are planted.
Look up and listen for the shout.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2019, 08:08:44 PM »
Amen Brother Beacon! I often share this truth with many who think they need to become overly concerned and involved in the politics of this world. ".... the remedy did not lie in merely human and external measures. To be efficient, the cure must reach men individually, and must regenerate the heart." Therefore Jesus did not involve Himself with the politics of cruel Rome.

Amen, Sister Dorine!  The closer we get to Jesus the more we realize what a precious Gift He is.

Amen Pastor Sean.  Like with the disciples we do not half appreciate that God is with us. When we by God's grace finally enter heaven, when we shall realize that we did not take advantage of all the opportunities we are now given, we will fall on our knees and ask God to forgive us. It is not too late to wake up and pray for wisdom to know just what to do.

You do not realize how great is your present privilege in having among you, though veiled in humanity, Him who is the life and the light of men. The days will come when you will look back with longing upon the opportunities you now enjoy to walk and talk with the Son of God. Because of their selfishness and earthliness, even the disciples of Jesus could not comprehend the spiritual glory which He sought to reveal unto them. It was not until after Christ's ascension to His Father, and the outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon the believers, that the disciples fully appreciated the Saviour's character and mission. After they had received the baptism of the Spirit, they began to realize that they had been in the very presence of the Lord of glory. As the sayings of Christ were brought to their remembrance, their minds were opened to comprehend the prophecies, and to understand the miracles which He had wrought. The wonders of His life passed before them, and they were as men awakened from a dream. They realized that "the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the Only-begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth." John 1:14.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2019, 08:02:17 PM »
"The Saviour attempted no civil reforms. He attacked no national abuses, nor condemned the national enemies. He did not interfere with the authority or administration of those in power. He who was our example kept aloof from earthly governments. Not because He was indifferent to the woes of men, but because the remedy did not lie in merely human and external measures. To be efficient, the cure must reach men individually, and must regenerate the heart. " [/b]

God's counsel to us is "Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."Matthew 6:33 & Jesus says..."Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Matthew 11:28-30 Then we will be empowered to be useful servants of our Lord and become efficient laborers in His harvest field.

"Not by the decisions of courts or councils or legislative assemblies, not by the patronage of worldly great men, is the kingdom of Christ established, but by the implanting of Christ's nature in humanity through the work of the Holy Spirit. "As many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God." John 1:12, 13. Here is the only power that can work the uplifting of mankind. And the human agency for the accomplishment of this work is the teaching and practicing of the word of God."

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2019, 05:56:43 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

The kingdom that Christ offers us is one that renews our hearts and minds by the converting power of His grace. As we yield fully to Christ, the unseen glory of His character renews so that He spontaneously produces in us love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, meekness, goodness, faith and temperance--without one of these traits of His divine nature missing!

"The kingdom of God comes not with outward show. The gospel of the grace of God, with its spirit of self-abnegation, can never be in harmony with the spirit of the world. The two principles are antagonistic. 'The natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.' 1 Corinthians 2:14." {The Desire of Ages, page 509, paragraph 1}

Yet we are called to be in this world as lights that reveal the power of His sanctifying word. Jesus prayed shortly before He died on the cross: "I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil. They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth" (John 17:14-17). May we walk in harmony with Jesus so His prayer may be answered in each of our lives!!   
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2019, 06:48:07 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean! By beholding Jesus we are changed into His image from glory unto glory. Thy Word is truth. The Word is a revelation of Christ. And if we have seen Christ, we have seen the Father!

God's counsel to us is "Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."Matthew 6:33 & Jesus says..."Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Matthew 11:28-30 Then we will be empowered to be useful servants of our Lord and become efficient laborers in His harvest field.

"Not by the decisions of courts or councils or legislative assemblies, not by the patronage of worldly great men, is the kingdom of Christ established, but by the implanting of Christ's nature in humanity through the work of the Holy Spirit."[/b]

Amen Brother Beacon!   What does it mean to be converted? It is to be filled with the Spirit who is Christ's representative. When He has possession of the heart, we are partakers of His divine nature. We then have a dual nature. We still live in these vile bodies of fallen flesh, but when Christ's nature is "implanted" in us, we are in a converted state and kingdom of God is within us. How dim are our eyes and understanding. How often do we forget that Jesus wants to live inside of us, in the heart!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Marelis

« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2019, 12:40:21 PM »
What a lovely chapter and food for thought. What was impressed upon me is that I must cherish the available time I have today, each and every day, to walk and talk with the Lord while He is near. Thank you.
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2019, 01:17:01 PM »
Amen, Marelis! This is my thought also. We are forgetful that Jesus is with us. When I thank Him for helping me, the Spirit reminds me that I did not ask for help. How shameful!  I am a slow learner.  :(  But, Jesus does not forget me.  :)

Beacon

« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2019, 04:32:57 PM »
"It is as true now as in apostolic days, that without the illumination of the divine Spirit, humanity cannot discern the glory of Christ. The truth and the work of God are unappreciated by a world-loving and compromising Christianity. Not in the ways of ease, of earthly honor or worldly conformity, are the followers of the Master found. They are far in advance, in the paths of toil, and humiliation, and reproach, in the front of the battle "against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places." Ephesians 6:12, R. V. And now, as in Christ's day, they are misunderstood and reproached and oppressed by the priests and Pharisees of their time."

Jesus said in  John 15:4-5..."4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. 5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." [/u]

Are You, Am I,  Are "we" beginning each day with a prayer of total surrender to Jesus asking for a fresh daily supply of Holy Spirit Guidance & Power?  Jesus wants to " abide in us " He wants to be our strength, purpose and joy while living in this sin sick world. How can anyone resist or ignore this invitation and think that on our own power we can be effective witnesses for our master? Daniel was a great example of total commitment to God - He prayed at least 3 times a day and look what God accomplished through him!!
[/color][/b]

Dorine

« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2019, 08:45:45 AM »
"Not by the decisions of courts or councils or legislative assemblies, not by the patronage of worldly great men, is the kingdom of Christ established, but by the implanting of Christ's nature in humanity through the work of the Holy Spirit. "As many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God." John 1:12, 13. Here is the only power that can work the uplifting of mankind. And the human agency for the accomplishment of this work is the teaching and practicing of the word of God." 

We may read this over and over. We may talk of it over and over but until we assimilate it into our very being through the Holy Spirit it will not accomplish it's work. We will be of non effect for God for if we are not completely for Him we will be against Him.

I like what Paul says for it shows that no matter how low we have fallen there is hope if we just believe and surrender, allowing the Holy Spirit to transform us into the image of God.

"Writing afterward to some of those who had been corrupted by the foulest sins, he could say, "But ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God. I thank my God always on your behalf, for the grace of God which is given you by Jesus Christ." 1 Cor: 6:11; 1:4
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2019, 08:53:27 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!

If we truly desire to see the glory of God, we shall see it in beholding the humble, self-sacrificing life of Jesus. He invites us to lay aside the heavy burdens of self and sin and partake of the divine nature, abiding in Him as the source of true happiness and the only One who can make us true witnesses of His kingdom and character!

"The kingdom of God comes not with outward show. The gospel of the grace of God, with its spirit of self-abnegation, can never be in harmony with the spirit of the world. The two principles are antagonistic. 'The natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.' 1 Corinthians 2:14." {The Desire of Ages, page 509, paragraph 1}

May we be wiling to be thought fools in the eyes of the world that we may be wise in the estimation of heaven!

"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2019, 04:29:32 PM »
"Because of their selfishness and earthliness, even the disciples of Jesus could not comprehend the spiritual glory which He sought to reveal unto them. It was not until after Christ's ascension to His Father, and the outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon the believers, that the disciples fully appreciated the Saviour's character and mission. After they had received the baptism of the Spirit, they began to realize that they had been in the very presence of the Lord of glory. As the sayings of Christ were brought to their remembrance, their minds were opened to comprehend the prophecies, and to understand the miracles which He had wrought. The wonders of His life passed before them, and they were as men awakened from a dream. They realized that "the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the Only-begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth." John 1:14."

Enforced laws of any government regarding religion cannot produce an in-ward change of heart or character!  Real change comes only from a Real Change in the Heart and that is only possible when we surrender fully to Jesus.

"Not by the decisions of courts or councils or legislative assemblies, not by the patronage of worldly great men, is the kingdom of Christ established, but by the implanting of Christ's nature in humanity through the work of the Holy Spirit. "As many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God." John 1:12, 13. Here is the only power that can work the uplifting of mankind. And the human agency for the accomplishment of this work is the teaching and practicing of the word of God. "

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2019, 02:58:39 PM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

What a blessing that God's kingdom can dispense with outward show, because it is really about the transformation of our character to become like Christ. As we learn of the loveliness' of Jesus' character, we become like Him and His Spirit is manifested through us!

May we yield fully, continually to the self-sacrificing love of Christ to work in us to will and to do of His good pleasure!

Beacon

« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2020, 11:30:04 AM »
======================================================================================
Quote From Pastor Sean....That touched my heart....and is so very relevant.
"Now, as in Christ's day, the work of God's kingdom lies not with those who are clamoring for recognition and support by earthly rulers and human laws, but with those who are declaring to the people in His name those spiritual truths that will work in the receivers the experience of Paul: 'I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me.' Galatians 2:20. Then they will labor as did Paul for the benefit of men. He said, 'Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.' 2 Corinthians 5:20." {The Desire of Ages, page 510, paragraph[/b][/font][/size] 2
=======================================================================================

"He who was our example kept aloof from earthly governments. Not because He was indifferent to the woes of men, but because the remedy did not lie in merely human and external measures. To be efficient, the cure must reach men individually, and must regenerate the heart."

"As many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God." John 1:12, 13.

"Here is the only power that can work the uplifting of mankind. And the human agency for the accomplishment of this work is the teaching and practicing of the word of God. Real change comes only from a Real Change in the Heart and that is only possible when we surrender fully to Jesus."

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2020, 05:37:36 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!!

Heaven begins in our hearts, and as we yield fully to Christ, He transforms our nature and fills us with all the fruits of the Spirit so not one is missing!

Let’s experience the gospel of God’s kingdom in our hearts!!

“The kingdom of God comes not with outward show. The gospel of the grace of God, with its spirit of self-abnegation, can never be in harmony with the spirit of the world. The two principles are antagonistic. ‘The natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.’ 1 Corinthians 2:14.” {The Desire of Ages, page 509, paragraph 1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2020, 10:14:49 PM »

"He who was our example kept aloof from earthly governments. Not because He was indifferent to the woes of men, but because the remedy did not lie in merely human and external measures. To be efficient, the cure must reach men individually, and must regenerate the heart."

Amen dear  Brother Beacon! God wants the heart, the whole heart. The only cure for the sin sick heart is God's grace. What were the disciples thinking for 3 1/2 years? They had a lot of "unbelief" and while they loved Jesus, they were not settled in to the truth so they could not be moved that He was the Son of God. How is it with us? Do we have unbelief, even though we love Jesus? Do we love Him with all we have and all we are? That is the all important question.

Dorine

« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2020, 05:34:53 AM »

May God open our blind eyes and revive our dull minds that we may truly comprehend what the disciples failed to appreciate. Christ is as much in our midst today and even more through the work of the Holy Spirit as when He walked the earth. We become the children of God only as we receive Him into our hearts and minds. The fruit of the Spirit will be plainly seen and we will be men and women that God will use to finish His work. Praise God.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2020, 06:33:20 AM »
"Not by the decisions of courts or councils or legislative assemblies, not by the patronage of worldly great men, is the kingdom of Christ established, but by the implanting of Christ's nature in humanity through the work of the Holy Spirit.

"As many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God." John 1:12, 13.

Here is the only power that can work the uplifting of mankind. And the human agency for the accomplishment of this work is the teaching and practicing of the word of God. "

Enforced laws of any government regarding religion cannot produce an in-ward change of heart or character!  Real change comes only from a Real Change in the Heart and that is only possible when we surrender fully to Jesus.The BIG question is--Are We Willing to FULLY SURRENDER?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2020, 07:09:04 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!  How many today do not understand that we need Jesus, we need to be partakers of His divine nature in order to do any good thing. Self must be crucified daily, continually in order to have spiritual life.

Now, as in Christ's day, the work of God's kingdom lies not with those who are clamoring for recognition and support by earthly rulers and human laws, but with those who are declaring to the people in His name those spiritual truths that will work in the receivers the experience of Paul: "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me." Galatians 2:20. Then they will labor as did Paul for the benefit of men. He said, "Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God." 2 Corinthians 5:20. 

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2020, 09:46:21 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine, Brother Beacon, and Brother Richard!!

What a Savior we have who offers us the true solution to our sin-polluted hearts that must be cleansed and made new by His blood and imbued fully with the Holy Spirit as we behold Him and surrender unreservedly to Him! Oh, let us lift high the cross of Christ in this time in earth's history when all need a fresh revelation of His character--lived in humanity as all of the fruits of the Spirit (not one missing) are seen in the life of each truly converted soul!

"When the apostle Paul began his ministry in Corinth, that populous, wealthy, and wicked city, polluted by the nameless vices of heathenism, he said, 'I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.' 1 Corinthians 2:2. Writing afterward to some of those who had been corrupted by the foulest sins, he could say, 'But ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.' 'I thank my God always on your behalf, for the grace of God which is given you by Jesus Christ.' 1 Corinthians 6:11; 1:4." {The Desire of Ages, page 510, paragraph 1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2020, 03:31:29 AM »
It's a big setup. Everything we are going through is pre-planned. Really? Yes! God foresaw your EXACT location, experience, family, trials, struggles, and sins and has COMPLETE POWER to save you, heal you, restore you, and bless you beyond what you can ask or think! The kingdom of God as established in Eden was a threefold union of the family, the school, and the church, and God is reestablishing this pure, holy kingdom in the family as each home becomes a place where Jesus will abide. Jesus' family was blessed by His presence, and we can know that we are part of His family as we surrender to Him and respond to His final Elijah message that unites the hearts of EVERY MEMBER of the family in love because Jesus is COMING SO SO SOON!!

"Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord: And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse" (Malachi 4:5-6). What does this kingdom look like in actual practice? It looks like husbands sacrificially loving their wives even if their wives have disrespected them or hurt them; it looks like wives respecting their husbands and being the grave of their husband's faults (meaning they pray for their husbands rather than accuse them with faultfinding); it looks like children loving their father and mother, and being an example to them by looking always to the perfect Example, Jesus. Many will say, "I have had a bad example." If you want to say that, then you will inevitably drift lower in the moral scale of worth, for by beholding we become changed. We can look at our fallen human parents and families, or we can look upon Jesus and let Him be the Example and Head of the family. Then we will be HOME MISSIONARIES on a prophetic mission to bind EVERY HEART to Christ and to exert a saving, sanctifying influence. The kingdom of God looks like future homes being established on the high, noble principles of purity, simplicity, and godliness with a resolute purpose to do the will of God and train their family for heaven. When we truly believe that Jesus is coming soon, it will truly begin in our hearts that we surrender FULLY to Christ so He can cleanse us from every stain of sin, imbue us with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing, and lead us to affectionately obey the law of God (the Ten Commandments) with a love that deepens and widens forever!!

Let us allow God's kingdom to start right where it needs to today--in my heart, your heart, then in the family, then the church, then the community, then the state or country, the continent, and then THE WHOLE WORLD!! The whole world will be lightened with His glory, and the glory of God is seen in His selfless giving of His Son to save us from our sins!! Oh, how I love Jesus!! O, what wondrous love is this!! Will you behold Jesus, look away from self and the faults of others, and look to Him who alone can sanctify and cleanse His people to make them all He ordains them to be? I pray you will join me in this incredible privilege of being a missionary WHEREVER you are today and each day!!!