Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--53--The Last Journey From Galilee  (Read 20056 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--53--The Last Journey From Galilee
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2016, 09:12:48 AM »
Amen, Richard! We need Jesus and we need that time with Him daily. Our chapter today pointed us to our great need, and helped us to realize how the deception affected those who were close to Jesus at the time He walked on the earth. Now we have the abundant light of the Bible and the Spirit of Prophecy revealing Christ to us, but it will not avail us if we do not come to behold His loveliness and surrender our lives fully to all that His Spirit reveals! Let us look and live!

If Christ is not in our hearts now (as evinced by all of the fruits of the Spirit being manifest without one missing), then we truly need to respond to the Savor's knock and voice:

The True Witness says, "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock." Revelation 3:20. Every warning, reproof, and entreaty in the word of God or through His messengers is a knock at the door of the heart. It is the voice of Jesus asking for entrance. With every knock unheeded, the disposition to open becomes weaker. The impressions of the Holy Spirit if disregarded today, will not be as strong tomorrow. The heart becomes less impressible, and lapses into a perilous unconsciousness of the shortness of life, and of the great eternity beyond. Our condemnation in the judgment will not result from the fact that we have been in error, but from the fact that we have neglected heaven-sent opportunities for learning what is truth. 

Let us not neglect the Savior's call; let us redeem the time that remains of our probation and choose to heed the Spirit's invitation, and continue to grow by abiding in Christ. Without Him we can do nothing, but with God all things are possible! His grace enables us to live in victory, for it is Christ who takes possession of the new heart by His Spirit and creates in us a desire to be like our Savior.
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2017, 02:20:01 AM »
I am SO SO SO BLESSED by this chapter as I am spending this blessed "thoughtful hour" with Jesus this morning! What a HUGE BLESSING these words of inspiration are:

Jesus added, "Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven." Rejoice not in the possession of power, lest you lose sight of your dependence upon God. Be careful lest self-sufficiency come in, and you work in your own strength, rather than in the spirit and strength of your Master. Self is ever ready to take the credit if any measure of success attends the work. Self is flattered and exalted, and the impression is not made upon other minds that God is all and in all. The apostle Paul says, "When I am weak, then am I strong." 2 Corinthians 12:10. When we have a realization of our weakness, we learn to depend upon a power not inherent. Nothing can take so strong a hold on the heart as the abiding sense of our responsibility to God. Nothing reaches so fully down to the deepest motives of conduct as a sense of the pardoning love of Christ. We are to come in touch with God, then we shall be imbued with His Holy Spirit, that enables us to come in touch with our fellow men. Then rejoice that through Christ you have become connected with God, members of the heavenly family. While you look higher than yourself, you will have a continual sense of the weakness of humanity. The less you cherish self, the more distinct and full will be your comprehension of the excellence of your Saviour. The more closely you connect yourself with the source of light and power, the greater light will be shed upon you, and the greater power will be yours to work for God. Rejoice that you are one with God, one with Christ, and with the whole family of heaven.

May we CONTINUALLY SENSE our UTTER WEAKNESS and ABSOLUTE NEED of JESUS CONTINUALLY to do ANY GOOD THING! Our great need should help us to direct all praise and glory to the one who alone is worthy and able to work with us as finite, erring, human beings. The glory goes to GOD ALONE in the work that He does thought us by His Spirit!

"Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us, but unto thy name give glory, for thy mercy, and for thy truth's sake" (Psalm 115:1).

I need Jesus SO SO MUCH! But I praise God that He IS GIVEN TO US!!! HALLELUJAH!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2017, 09:03:55 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean!  Here is a well kept secret from those who have not tasted of the goodness of our God. "Nothing can take so strong a hold on the heart as the abiding sense of our responsibility to God. Nothing reaches so fully down to the deepest motives of conduct as a sense of the pardoning love of Christ."

This is the power of grace to transform the character, the very nature of man. While we remain in these vile bodies of fallen flesh, the pardoning love of Jesus reaches fully down to the deepest motives of conduct. The heart is purified by this grace when we allow it into the heart. It is this goodness of God that leads to true repentance of sin (Romans 2:4).

From time to time, the disciples of Jesus would "surrender themselves to the Holy Spirit's power," and would understand that it was God who walked with them. Let us behold the pardoning love of Jesus each day that we might realize it is God who is speaking to us, guiding us on that upward path which leadeth us to our home far away beyond the sun.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2017, 04:37:15 AM »
Amen, Richard! Jesus is leading us home!

Jesus added, "Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven." Rejoice not in the possession of power, lest you lose sight of your dependence upon God. Be careful lest self-sufficiency come in, and you work in your own strength, rather than in the spirit and strength of your Master. Self is ever ready to take the credit if any measure of success attends the work. Self is flattered and exalted, and the impression is not made upon other minds that God is all and in all. The apostle Paul says, "When I am weak, then am I strong." 2 Corinthians 12:10. When we have a realization of our weakness, we learn to depend upon a power not inherent. Nothing can take so strong a hold on the heart as the abiding sense of our responsibility to God. Nothing reaches so fully down to the deepest motives of conduct as a sense of the pardoning love of Christ. We are to come in touch with God, then we shall be imbued with His Holy Spirit, that enables us to come in touch with our fellow men. Then rejoice that through Christ you have become connected with God, members of the heavenly family. While you look higher than yourself, you will have a continual sense of the weakness of humanity. The less you cherish self, the more distinct and full will be your comprehension of the excellence of your Saviour. The more closely you connect yourself with the source of light and power, the greater light will be shed upon you, and the greater power will be yours to work for God. Rejoice that you are one with God, one with Christ, and with the whole family of heaven. 

The last part of this paragraph really blessed me this morning--I love how we can abide in Christ and have a close connection with Him. It is possible every day to have a closer and closer connection with Christ, even while we continue to maintain a full surrender to Him by beholding His loveliness of character. Just last night the Holy Spirit brought to my mind that "to behold is to abide"--that is, as we behold Jesus with the eye of faith and are strengthened so He can make the precious revelations of His love and truth to us, we are abiding in His word by the power of the Holy Spirit, and as we continue to do this, we are true disciples who are revealing His character to those around us more fully each day: the fruits of the Spirit without one missing! Hallelujah!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2017, 06:20:26 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean! Imagine....we in fallen flesh may be "one with God, one with Christ, and with the whole family of heaven." What a miracle!!

With the blessings promised, God also gives a warning to those who profess to love God, but are instead are poor, blind, and naked.

The True Witness says, "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock." Revelation 3:20. Every warning, reproof, and entreaty in the word of God or through His messengers is a knock at the door of the heart. It is the voice of Jesus asking for entrance. With every knock unheeded, the disposition to open becomes weaker. The impressions of the Holy Spirit if disregarded today, will not be as strong tomorrow. The heart becomes less impressible, and lapses into a perilous unconsciousness of the shortness of life, and of the great eternity beyond. Our condemnation in the judgment will not result from the fact that we have been in error, but from the fact that we have neglected heaven-sent opportunities for learning what is truth. 

Great light was given to cities when Christ walked upon this earth. So it is today, great light has been given to a particular people. With this light comes added accountability. To these Christ says "Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works had been done in Tyre and Sidon, which have been done in you, they had a great while ago repented, sitting in sackcloth and ashes. But it shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the judgment, than for you. And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted to heaven, shalt be thrust down to hell." 

If we will learn of Jesus, if we will spend time with Him each day, then our end will be such that we cannot comprehend the blessings to come!

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2017, 03:44:13 AM »
Jesus is so precious to us! He desires us to focus on Him and to forget about ourselves in unselfish ministry to bless others. We are to behold Him, and in beholding His loveliness, we will be transformed in character (2 Corinthians 3:18). There is no limit to this experience as we realize our weakness, sinfulness, and constant need to keep that weakness and sinfulness of the fallen nature crucified by abiding in Christ through a full-heart surrender (conversion) of the mind and heart to be imbued with the divine nature (2 Peter 1:4). What a precious experience Jesus has for us this Sabbath day!

Jesus added, "Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven." Rejoice not in the possession of power, lest you lose sight of your dependence upon God. Be careful lest self-sufficiency come in, and you work in your own strength, rather than in the spirit and strength of your Master. Self is ever ready to take the credit if any measure of success attends the work. Self is flattered and exalted, and the impression is not made upon other minds that God is all and in all. The apostle Paul says, "When I am weak, then am I strong." 2 Corinthians 12:10. When we have a realization of our weakness, we learn to depend upon a power not inherent. Nothing can take so strong a hold on the heart as the abiding sense of our responsibility to God. Nothing reaches so fully down to the deepest motives of conduct as a sense of the pardoning love of Christ. We are to come in touch with God, then we shall be imbued with His Holy Spirit, that enables us to come in touch with our fellow men. Then rejoice that through Christ you have become connected with God, members of the heavenly family. While you look higher than yourself, you will have a continual sense of the weakness of humanity. The less you cherish self, the more distinct and full will be your comprehension of the excellence of your Saviour. The more closely you connect yourself with the source of light and power, the greater light will be shed upon you, and the greater power will be yours to work for God. Rejoice that you are one with God, one with Christ, and with the whole family of heaven.  {The Desire of Ages, page 493, paragraph 3}

Wow! What a treasure we have in the words of hope and promise!!!

Dorine

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2017, 06:42:24 AM »
It seems such a long time since I've been able to join in on our readings. I have been blocked from TRO for some time. I had to download a new browser to get on today. It's so good to be back.

What a power packed chapter today.

"To the heart of Christ it was a bitter task to press His way against the fears, disappointment, and unbelief of His beloved disciples. It was hard to lead them forward to the anguish and despair that awaited them at Jerusalem. And Satan was at hand to press his temptations upon the Son of man. Why should He now go to Jerusalem, to certain death? All around Him were souls hungering for the bread of life. On every hand were suffering ones waiting for His word of healing. The work to be wrought by the gospel of His grace was but just begun. And He was full of the vigor of manhood's prime. Why not go forward to the vast fields of the world with the words of His grace, the touch of His healing power? Why not take to Himself the joy of giving light and gladness to those darkened and sorrowing millions? Why leave the harvest gathering to His disciples, so weak in faith, so dull of understanding, so slow to act? Why face death now, and leave the work in its infancy? The foe who in the wilderness had confronted Christ assailed Him now with fierce and subtle temptations. Had Jesus yielded for a moment, had He changed His course in the least particular to save Himself, Satan's agencies would have triumphed, and the world would have been lost."

I have contemplated this for a long time this morning. Such a selfless Saviour we serve. His concern was not for Himself at all. Only for others and to bring glory to His Father. May we all be faithful to Him each day doing our part in the mission Jesus has set for us.

But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2017, 07:35:28 AM »
We have missed you, dear sister!

We do indeed have our eyes opened to the living truth that Jesus was tempted in all points as we are, but at a much higher level, for He is God. All of His life in our fallen flesh, He was put upon by the evil one. How very sad that He suffered so much. And, think of our heavenly Father who watched it all!  How much He loves us!!

As I read what you quoted, my mind was led to this from the chapter Gethsemane:

"Awake, O sword, against My shepherd, and against the man that is My fellow, saith the Lord of hosts." Zechariah 13:7. As the substitute and surety for sinful man, Christ was suffering under divine justice. He saw what justice meant. Hitherto He had been as an intercessor for others; now He longed to have an intercessor for Himself.   
     As Christ felt His unity with the Father broken up, He feared that in His human nature He would be unable to endure the coming conflict with the powers of darkness. In the wilderness of temptation the destiny of the human race had been at stake. Christ was then conqueror. Now the tempter had come for the last fearful struggle. For this he had been preparing during the three years of Christ's ministry. Everything was at stake with him. If he failed here, his hope of mastery was lost; the kingdoms of the world would finally become Christ's; he himself would be overthrown and cast out. But if Christ could be overcome, the earth would become Satan's kingdom, and the human race would be forever in his power. With the issues of the conflict before Him, Christ's soul was filled with dread of separation from God. Satan told Him that if He became the surety for a sinful world, the separation would be eternal. He would be identified with Satan's kingdom, and would nevermore be one with God.   
     And what was to be gained by this sacrifice? How hopeless appeared the guilt and ingratitude of men! In its hardest features Satan pressed the situation upon the Redeemer: The people who claim to be above all others in temporal and spiritual advantages have rejected You. They are seeking to destroy You, the foundation, the center and seal of the promises made to them as a peculiar people. One of Your own disciples, who has listened to Your instruction, and has been among the foremost in church activities, will betray You. One of Your most zealous followers will deny You. All will forsake You. Christ's whole being abhorred the thought. That those whom He had undertaken to save, those whom He loved so much, should unite in the plots of Satan, this pierced His soul. The conflict was terrible. Its measure was the guilt of His nation, of His accusers and betrayer, the guilt of a world lying in wickedness. The sins of men weighed heavily upon Christ, and the sense of God's wrath against sin was crushing out His life.
     Behold Him contemplating the price to be paid for the human soul. In His agony He clings to the cold ground, as if to prevent Himself from being drawn farther from God.

Amen! If we, who have been given such great light, would behold Jesus lifted up, we would be converted daily. If not, then what?

Like the apostles, the seventy had received supernatural endowments as a seal of their mission. When their work was completed, they returned with joy, saying, "Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through Thy name." Jesus answered, "I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven."
     The scenes of the past and the future were presented to the mind of Jesus. He beheld Lucifer as he was first cast out from the heavenly places. He looked forward to the scenes of His own agony, when before all the worlds the character of the deceiver should be unveiled. He heard the cry, "It is finished" (John 19:30), announcing that the redemption of the lost race was forever made certain, that heaven was made eternally secure against the accusations, the deceptions, the pretensions, that Satan would instigate. 

What great light we have been given! Let us appreciate that light and the great love God has revealed to us. To whom much is given, much is expected.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2017, 05:46:01 AM »
Amen, sister Dorine and brother Richard! What a precious Savior we see revealed in Jesus' last journey from Galilee, leading soon to His crucifixion. What a desire He has that we would walk in His strength and grace, not our own.

Luke 10:21-24 "In that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit, and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes: even so, Father; for so it seemed good in thy sight. All things are delivered to me of my Father: and no man knoweth who the Son is, but the Father; and who the Father is, but the Son, and he to whom the Son will reveal him. And he turned him unto his disciples, and said privately, Blessed are the eyes which see the things that ye see: For I tell you, that many prophets and kings have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them."

It is so amazing to realize that we cannot know the Father except through Jesus--and He freely gives us that intimacy with the Father that He Himself enjoys as we surrender fully to Him by the power of the Holy Spirit. We are to rejoice in the Lord continually! We are so blessed to be able to behold Jesus through inspiration!

"The omnipotent power of the Holy Spirit is the defense of every contrite soul. Not one that in penitence and faith has claimed His protection will Christ permit to pass under the enemy's power. The Saviour is by the side of His tempted and tried ones. With Him there can be no such thing as failure, loss, impossibility, or defeat; we can do all things through Him who strengthens us. When temptations and trials come, do not wait to adjust all the difficulties, but look to Jesus, your helper." {The Desire of Ages, page 490, page 6}

I am so so so thankful for the experience of beholding the loveliness of Jesus! This morning I did a word search for the word "behold" in the Bible and started reading many of the passages in Luke where that word occurs, and I was so blessed--yes--it is by beholding Christ that we are changed. Behold Him coming from His throne, His Father permitting Christ to be born a helpless babe in Bethlehem! Behold Him forming a perfect childhood, youth, and manhood, constantly assailed by Satan! Behold Him being baptized as our Substitute and Surety! Behold Him being tempted in the wilderness, resisting every subtle temptation of the devil by the Word of God! Behold Him healing the sick, raising the dead, and having power to cleanse the most degraded sinner who comes to Him! Behold Him in Gethsemane sweating as it were great drops of blood, going to the farce of a trial to be condemned, then stripped and crucified, crying out "It is finished" (John 19:30). Behold Him laid away in the tomb, and then risen again! Behold Him ascended to heaven, ministering now as our great High Priest, soon to come in the clouds of glory! Behold by faith the truth that Jesus will come and make all things new. Beholding Him, you will be changed as you surrender fully to Him because of a continual motivation of His faith working by love wrought by His Spirit abiding in you, revealing all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing! Praise God! 

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2017, 05:51:42 AM »
The omnipotent power of the Holy Spirit is the defense of every contrite soul. Not one that in penitence and faith has claimed His protection will Christ permit to pass under the enemy's power. The Saviour is by the side of His tempted and tried ones. With Him there can be no such thing as failure, loss, impossibility, or defeat; we can do all things through Him who strengthens us. When temptations and trials come, do not wait to adjust all the difficulties, but look to Jesus, your helper.
     There are Christians who think and speak altogether too much about the power of Satan. They think of their adversary, they pray about him, they talk about him, and he looms up greater and greater in their imagination. It is true that Satan is a powerful being; but, thank God, we have a mighty Saviour, who cast out the evil one from heaven. Satan is pleased when we magnify his power. Why not talk of Jesus? Why not magnify His power and His love?

And here we have a truth that is behind the reason for this area of the Desire of Ages. It's for talking of Jesus and His love and power. As Christ gave at times the disciples the chance to voice their gratitude and faith in order to strengthen them so this gives us the chance and in doing so it will give us strength and increase our faith in the one who is altogether lovely!
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2017, 08:19:02 AM »
Amen and amen!! If we know God as we may know Him, our lives we be a testimony to the power of grace to transform our very nature!!

When we have a realization of our weakness, we learn to depend upon a power not inherent. Nothing can take so strong a hold on the heart as the abiding sense of our responsibility to God. Nothing reaches so fully down to the deepest motives of conduct as a sense of the pardoning love of Christ. We are to come in touch with God, then we shall be imbued with His Holy Spirit, that enables us to come in touch with our fellow men. Then rejoice that through Christ you have become connected with God, members of the heavenly family. While you look higher than yourself, you will have a continual sense of the weakness of humanity. The less you cherish self, the more distinct and full will be your comprehension of the excellence of your Saviour. The more closely you connect yourself with the source of light and power, the greater light will be shed upon you, and the greater power will be yours to work for God. Rejoice that you are one with God, one with Christ, and with the whole family of heaven. 

We must drink of this Water daily if we want to live up to our responsibilities to God. And the better we know Him, the more will we discern our inherent weaknesses. There is nothing good in man apart from Christ.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2018, 05:15:41 AM »
To the heart of Christ it was a bitter task to press His way against the fears, disappointment, and unbelief of His beloved disciples. It was hard to lead them forward to the anguish and despair that awaited them at Jerusalem.

I liked this statement not because it shows the disciples the unbelief but because it shows Christ's heart. It shows His character and what kind of God He is. Had it been me it would have been very tempting to think... "oh well, it's their own fault and most of them will survive." But not Christ! He found it hard to lead them into a difficult way and circumstance. What a heart of sympathy for His disciples. Since Christ doesn't change He is still the same today. He may lead us into hard places but we don't have to be like His disciples we can say the prayer... "Lord, help my unbelief!" and He will help. We may not be taken out the hard way but it will become smoother.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Dorine

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2018, 08:33:32 AM »
My heart rejoices this morning as I meditate again on the life of Jesus. All of us are sinners but praise God by His grace and power we don't need to keep sinning known sins. We are alive today and given a second chance because Jesus lived a perfect life.  He is my Life Line today and through out eternity.

"Had Jesus yielded for a moment, had He changed His course in the least particular to save HImself, Satan's agencies would have triumphed, and the world would have been lost."
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2018, 08:41:09 AM »
Amen, Jim and Dorine! We have a Savior who can save us and keep us from sin! Jesus is so tender and patient with us and we have the same Savior today as we reflect upon His life and lessons!

Very precious was the instruction given to the disciples. The parable of the importunate widow and the friend asking for bread at midnight gave new force to His words, "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." Luke 11:9. And often their wavering faith was strengthened by the memory that Christ had said, "Shall not God do justice for His elect, which cry to Him day and night, and He is long-suffering over them? I say unto you, that He will do them justice speedily." Luke 18:7, 8, R. V., margin.  {The Desire of Ages, page 495, paragraph 3}

This really struck me today--of how precious a lesson it is to believe that God desires us to ask earnestly for Him to do what is best for us. The context of Luke 11 is how much our Father in heaven will give the Holy Spirit to ask Him. We need the Holy Spirit! He is able to bless us abundantly as we pray for Him to fill our lives!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2018, 10:45:55 PM »
Amen, Jim, Dorine, and Pastor Sean! Jesus loves us and gave Himself for us. There is much in this paragraph. I will try and keep my thoughts short. I was up very early and it is quite late.  :)  Happy Sabbath!

Rejoice not in the possession of power, lest you lose sight of your dependence upon God. Be careful lest self-sufficiency come in, and you work in your own strength, rather than in the spirit and strength of your Master. Self is ever ready to take the credit if any measure of success attends the work. Self is flattered and exalted, and the impression is not made upon other minds that God is all and in all. The apostle Paul says, "When I am weak, then am I strong." 2 Corinthians 12:10. When we have a realization of our weakness, we learn to depend upon a power not inherent. Nothing can take so strong a hold on the heart as the abiding sense of our responsibility to God. Nothing reaches so fully down to the deepest motives of conduct as a sense of the pardoning love of Christ. We are to come in touch with God, then we shall be imbued with His Holy Spirit, that enables us to come in touch with our fellow men. Then rejoice that through Christ you have become connected with God, members of the heavenly family. While you look higher than yourself, you will have a continual sense of the weakness of humanity. The less you cherish self, the more distinct and full will be your comprehension of the excellence of your Saviour. The more closely you connect yourself with the source of light and power, the greater light will be shed upon you, and the greater power will be yours to work for God. Rejoice that you are one with God, one with Christ, and with the whole family of heaven. 

It was a difficult day today. Not as bad as Job's, but it was trying. Matter of fact, this week was quite interesting. I have to laugh at Satan and his effort and ploys. And, I am so thankful for God's grace and power.

Have you eve found yourself working alone, without the power of God?  :)  It does not work very well. And, if it does, we are in danger of thinking we did it. When in fact there are some other realities we might discern. Satan prospers his own. God blesses. So, which is it when we succeed? And, to whom do we praise?  The subject really ought to be, how do we maintain that connection with Christ so we are successful in bringing much honor and glory to Him who deserves more that we give.

The answer is found in today's reading: "Nothing can take so strong a hold on the heart as the abiding sense of our responsibility to God. Nothing reaches so fully down to the deepest motives of conduct as a sense of the pardoning love of Christ." This is grace. it is more than a word, it is the transforming power that turns sinners into saints.  We must behold it daily if we want to honor and glorify our God. What  a God we serve!! As long as we keep this in the forefront of the mind, we shall give glory to God.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2018, 04:53:31 AM »
What a wonderful Savior we have in Jesus! What precious lessons He gives us daily as we come to learn of Him, and by beholding His loveliness, surrendering to the effectual working of the Holy Spirit, we are being changed!

"The only way in which we can gain a more perfect apprehension of truth is by keeping the heart tender and subdued by the Spirit of Christ. The soul must be cleansed from vanity and pride, and vacated of all that has held it in possession, and Christ must be enthroned within. Human science is too limited to comprehend the atonement. The plan of redemption is so far-reaching that philosophy cannot explain it. It will ever remain a mystery that the most profound reasoning cannot fathom. The science of salvation cannot be explained; but it can be known by experience. Only he who sees his own sinfulness can discern the preciousness of the Saviour." {The Desire of Ages, page 494, paragraph 4}

Let us live the experience of abiding in Christ, so that the effectual evidence of the divine nature at work in us (all of the fruits of the Spirit in the life without one missing) will draw others to personally also gain an experience of the science of salvation. We can live the Christ-life by His faith at work in us, continually realizing our need of Jesus, so that He will keep us from falling under the power of sin. There is nothing good in us by nature. God does not love us because we are so good, but because He is so good. Let us rejoice in Him, and never in ourselves! Not even by a thought did Jesus yield to temptation, and we may have His experience by having His abiding life because we accept His atoning sacrifice, and as gratitude springs up in our hearts, He graciously leads us to walk even as He walked.   

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2018, 05:27:37 PM »
Amen Pastor Sean. And, until Jesus returns, we shall continue to live in evil flesh. The heart must be renewed daily. It is God's grace that cleanses the heart and mind as we behold his loveliness. What A Plan of Salvation we have been given! God's grace when allowed into the heart transforms the character right then and there. We become new creatures in Christ Jesus. Our motives are then pure and holy, even though we may keep the wrong day, eat the wrong food, or where the wrong clothing. We must continue learning. For those who love Jesus supremely, it will be an eternity of joyfully learning more about our God and his ways.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2018, 03:17:44 AM »
I am so thankful for the Holy Spirit! When we surrender fully to Jesus, He lives in us and imbues us with all of the fruits of the Spirit, enabling us to live up to every ray of light that God has shed upon our path! When the Holy Spirit reigns in our hearts, we shall speak of Jesus and uplift His infinite sacrifice, the glory of our Heavenly Father who gave His Son to us as our Brother! What wonderful themes for our hearts and minds to dwell upon!

"The omnipotent power of the Holy Spirit is the defense of every contrite soul. Not one that in penitence and faith has claimed His protection will Christ permit to pass under the enemy's power. The Saviour is by the side of His tempted and tried ones. With Him there can be no such thing as failure, loss, impossibility, or defeat; we can do all things through Him who strengthens us. When temptations and trials come, do not wait to adjust all the difficulties, but look to Jesus, your helper." {The Desire of Ages, page 490, paragraph 5}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2018, 06:06:20 AM »
What wonderful themes for our hearts and minds to dwell upon!

Amen pastor Sean! Just this morning I thinking about this song... one I had not remembered in a long while.

He's the lily of the valley
He's the brightest morning star
He's the fairest of ten thousand
Everybody ought to know.

This morning this stood out to me..

They saw that, notwithstanding their rude treatment of Him, He had only thoughts of love toward them, and their hearts were won. After His ascension they welcomed the Saviour's messengers, and the disciples gathered a precious harvest from among those who had once been their bitterest enemies. "A bruised reed shall He not break, and the dimly burning flax shall He not quench: He shall bring forth judgment unto truth." "And in His name shall the Gentiles trust." Isaiah 42:3, margin; Matthew 12:21.

How different Christ treats people than we would without Jesus in our hearts. A while earlier some of the disciples wanted to call down fire on them but look what a few heaping coals of kindness resulted in?

Dorine

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2018, 08:48:53 AM »
What a precious promise Pastor Sean. If we truly believe this we will go from victory to victory in our walk with God. Not the roller coaster ride that so often happens.

Jim, I remember that song. It was very popular when my girls were young. I want to have the spirit of Jesus and return love for rudeness and hate. Not just from the outward appearance but from the heart. We may be able to control the surface but only God can control the heart.

The quote that stopped me in my tracks this morning was this one.....

"Our condemnation in the judgment will not result from the fact that we have been in error, but from the fact that we have neglected heaven-sent opportunities for learning what is truth."

I had to think about that for awhile. If we have a love of the truth and search for it as we would a lost treasure then God would reveal to us those heavenly treasures and we would not find ourselves in error.