Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--53--The Last Journey From Galilee  (Read 20762 times)

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--53--The Last Journey From Galilee
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2023, 03:50:25 AM »
"The only way in which we can gain a more perfect apprehension of truth is by keeping the heart tender and subdued by the Spirit of Christ. The soul must be cleansed from vanity and pride, and vacated of all that has held it in possession, and Christ must be enthroned within. Human science is too limited to comprehend the atonement. The plan of redemption is so far-reaching that philosophy cannot explain it. It will ever remain a mystery that the most profound reasoning cannot fathom. The science of salvation cannot be explained; but it can be known by experience. Only he who sees his own sinfulness can discern the preciousness of the Saviour.  

I need to be reminded of this constantly. My heart without Christ is ugly. I yearn for His character to possess my being that I might by the grace of God rise above self to live a life filled with the Spirit of God. Just as the children of Israel were commanded to look at the raised serpent in order to live, we too must gaze upon our Saviour hanging on that cruel cross so that we too may look and live. "Amazing grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me." It's that moment by moment abiding in Christ that brings new life to the soul and all the fruits of the Spirit will be seen without one missing.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2023, 04:24:35 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!! I so appreciate the doctrinal unity that is coming from our sweet time beholding Jesus and His truth!!

He had the big picture in mind. We should learn from Jesus' perspective how to face our daily trials, crucifying self, rising to fulness of life in Him by a continual surrender of the entire heart, so He can manifest through us all the fruits of the Spirit without one missing while simultaneously empowering us to affectionally obey Him up to all the light He has revealed!

"Beyond the cross of Calvary, with its agony and shame, Jesus looked forward to the great final day, when the prince of the power of the air will meet his destruction in the earth so long marred by his rebellion. Jesus beheld the work of evil forever ended, and the peace of God filling heaven and earth." {The Desire of Ages, page 490, paragraph 3}

Let us contemplate the peace God offers us--a peace that passes all understanding, a peace that is the result of communing with Christ who is our peace! Heaven begins in the soul, and as we meditate upon the perfection, the loveliness, and the goodness of God in how He is orchestrating all things for the eternal good of all who love Him, well may we rejoice in the Lord always and be beacons of hope and encouragement to souls that need the present truth for this time by seeing Christ live in us, the hope of glory!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2023, 06:55:38 AM »
Amen my dear brothers and sister! So many lessons in today's reading. So hard to choose which one to share!  God loves us to reveal so much light! Do we appreciate it? How do we respond to it? Do we neglect the great opportunity to know the truth being presented?

The True Witness says, "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock." Revelation 3:20. Every warning, reproof, and entreaty in the word of God or through His messengers is a knock at the door of the heart. It is the voice of Jesus asking for entrance. With every knock unheeded, the disposition to open becomes weaker. The impressions of the Holy Spirit if disregarded today, will not be as strong tomorrow. The heart becomes less impressible, and lapses into a perilous unconsciousness of the shortness of life, and of the great eternity beyond. Our condemnation in the judgment will not result from the fact that we have been in error, but from the fact that we have neglected heaven-sent opportunities for learning what is truth. 

If we appreciate the truth, then we will discover Jesus is the Truth. As we learn of Him, our hearts will be willingly surrendered to Him. As Brother Beacon has shared
"Nothing reaches so fully down to the deepest motives of conduct as a sense of the pardoning love of Christ." By beholding the glory of our Savior we shall be changed into His image (2 Cor. 3:18).
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2023, 07:09:40 AM »
We are warmly invited by Jesus to come to Him. And He works in many ways to seek to woo us to receive Him so that our lives may be restored from the ruin of sin. But He does not force the will. He invites us to choose Him. May we learn continually of how much we need Jesus to do any good thing, surrendering fully and continually to Him so He can manifest through us all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing as He empowers us by His love to obey Him from the heart renewed by His divine grace. Let us not neglect so great salvation as is offered us by God and His holy word!

"The True Witness says, 'Behold, I stand at the door, and knock.' Revelation 3:20. Every warning, reproof, and entreaty in the word of God or through His messengers is a knock at the door of the heart. It is the voice of Jesus asking for entrance. With every knock unheeded, the disposition to open becomes weaker. The impressions of the Holy Spirit if disregarded today, will not be as strong tomorrow. The heart becomes less impressible, and lapses into a perilous unconsciousness of the shortness of life, and of the great eternity beyond. Our condemnation in the judgment will not result from the fact that we have been in error, but from the fact that we have neglected heaven-sent opportunities for learning what is truth." {The Desire of Ages, page 489, paragraph 5}

Let us not neglect heaven-sent opportunities for learning truth, but gladly accept the truth as it is in Jesus and walk in His ways. By His grace we are to go forward through the providential doors He opens for us! "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free" (John 8:32).
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2023, 07:34:47 PM »
Amen Pastor Sean! When speaking of the True Witness, it is the message of the True Witness that the destiny of the church hangs on. We may read His message beginning at Rev. 3:14. Also in that message we read Rev. 3:20, "I stand at the door and knock." It is His message to the Laodiceans, our church.

Jesus added, "Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven." Rejoice not in the possession of power, lest you lose sight of your dependence upon God. Be careful lest self-sufficiency come in, and you work in your own strength, rather than in the spirit and strength of your Master. Self is ever ready to take the credit if any measure of success attends the work. Self is flattered and exalted, and the impression is not made upon other minds that God is all and in all. The apostle Paul says, "When I am weak, then am I strong." 2 Corinthians 12:10. When we have a realization of our weakness, we learn to depend upon a power not inherent. Nothing can take so strong a hold on the heart as the abiding sense of our responsibility to God. Nothing reaches so fully down to the deepest motives of conduct as a sense of the pardoning love of Christ. We are to come in touch with God, then we shall be imbued with His Holy Spirit, that enables us to come in touch with our fellow men. Then rejoice that through Christ you have become connected with God, members of the heavenly family. While you look higher than yourself, you will have a continual sense of the weakness of humanity. The less you cherish self, the more distinct and full will be your comprehension of the excellence of your Saviour. The more closely you connect yourself with the source of light and power, the greater light will be shed upon you, and the greater power will be yours to work for God. Rejoice that you are one with God, one with Christ, and with the whole family of heaven. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #105 on: May 04, 2023, 07:36:19 PM »
"Self is ever ready to take the credit if any measure of success attends the work. Self is flattered and exalted, and the impression is not made upon other minds that God is all and in all.

The apostle Paul says, 'When I am weak, then am I strong.' 2 Corinthians 12:10.. "

"When we have a realization of our weakness, we learn to depend upon a power not inherent. Nothing can take so strong a hold on the heart as the abiding sense of our responsibility to God. Nothing reaches so fully down to the deepest motives of conduct as a sense of the pardoning love of Christ. We are to come in touch with God, then we shall be imbued with His Holy Spirit, that enables us to come in touch with our fellow men..

The less you cherish self, the more distinct and full will be your comprehension of the excellence of your Saviour. The more closely you connect yourself with the source of light and power, the greater light will be shed upon you, and the greater power will be yours to work for God.

Rejoice that you are one with God, one with Christ, and with the whole family of heaven."

Let us make this hymn written by Author's: Albert B. Simpson; & Ada A. Whiddington, our daily motto.

Not I, but Christ be honored, loved, exalted, Not I, but Christ be seen, be known and heard; Not I, but Christ in every look and action, Not I, but Christ in every thought and word. Oh, to be saved from myself, dear Lord,Oh, to be lost in Thee, Oh, that it may be no more I, BUT CHRIST THAT LIVES IN ME.

Beacon

« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2023, 08:04:15 PM »
"Nothing can take so strong a hold on the heart as the abiding sense of our responsibility to God".

"Nothing reaches so fully down to the deepest motives of conduct as a sense of the pardoning love of Christ.

"We are to come in touch with God, then we shall be imbued with His Holy Spirit, that enables us to come in touch with our fellow men."

"Then rejoice that through Christ you have become connected with God, members of the heavenly family."

"While you look higher than yourself, you will have a continual sense of the weakness of humanity."

"The less you cherish self, the more distinct and full will be your comprehension of the excellence of your Saviour. "

"The more closely you connect yourself with the source of light and power, the greater light will be shed upon you, and the greater power will be yours to work for God. Rejoice that you are one with God, one with Christ, and with the whole family of heaven."

All to Jesus I surrender,  Is that "OUR" prayer??

========================
All to Jesus I surrender,
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.
    I surrender all,
  I surrender all.
All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
    I surrender all.
Humbly at His feet I bow,
Worldly pleasures all forsaken;
Take me, Jesus, take me now.
Make me, Savior, wholly Thine;
Let me feel Thy Holy Spirit,
Truly know that Thou art mine.
Lord, I give myself to Thee;
Fill me with Thy love and power,
Let Thy blessing fall on me.
Now I feel the sacred flame.
Oh, the joy of full salvation!
Glory, glory to His name!

Lyrics:Judson W. Van de Venter (1855-1939)
Music:Winfield Scott Weeden (1847-1908)
Look up and listen for the shout.

Dorine

« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2023, 03:38:01 AM »
"The omnipotent power of the Holy Spirit is the defense of every contrite soul. Not one that in penitence and faith has claimed His protection will Christ permit to pass under the enemy's power. The Saviour is by the side of His tempted and tried ones. With Him there can be no such thing as failure, loss, impossibility, or defeat; we can do all things through Him who strengthens us. When temptations and trials come, do not wait to adjust all the difficulties, but look to Jesus, your helper."

Amen. I cling to these promises constantly. We are saved by faith not by feeling or sight.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #108 on: July 30, 2023, 06:18:28 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!!

Keep the end in mind.

"Beyond the cross of Calvary, with its agony and shame, Jesus looked forward to the great final day, when the prince of the power of the air will meet his destruction in the earth so long marred by his rebellion. Jesus beheld the work of evil forever ended, and the peace of God filling heaven and earth." {The Desire of Ages, page 490, paragraph 3}

While you may be facing trials and tribulations of many kinds, remember that it is all temporary. Christ's agony on the cross, and the final time of trouble yet future to the saints who will live to the second coming of Christ will be soon forever in the past. Let's endure cheerfully whatever God's providence designs for us as ministry so as many souls as possible can be saved and the great controversy between Christ and Satan can come to an end as quickly as possible. As we surrender all to Jesus and let Him live out His life in us revealing all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing accompanied by an affectionately obedient life up to all the truth God has shown us, we will be mighty missionaries for His kingdom! Let's keep looking unto Jesus!!

Philip T

« Reply #109 on: July 30, 2023, 08:10:02 AM »
    The True Witness says, "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock." Revelation 3:20. Every warning, reproof, and entreaty in the word of God or through His messengers is a knock at the door of the heart. It is the voice of Jesus asking for entrance. With every knock unheeded, the disposition to open becomes weaker. The impressions of the Holy Spirit if disregarded today, will not be as strong tomorrow. The heart becomes less impressible, and lapses into a perilous unconsciousness of the shortness of life, and of the great eternity beyond. Our condemnation in the judgment will not result from the fact that we have been in error, but from the fact that we have neglected heaven-sent opportunities for learning what is truth.

Jesus loves us, he stands and knocks at the door to our hearts, when ignored the ability to hear his voice decreases as the Holy Spirit is turned away. What a fearful thought. May we ever be attuned to the Still Small Voice of God.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #110 on: July 30, 2023, 08:47:11 AM »
Amen my dearest friends!  Our reading today opens our eyes to the presence of God. How often we forget this. Prior to the cross we have pointed out that all but Judas had been converted except for Judas. This is clearly seen when Jesus washed their feet and His grace broke their hearts. They walked into the upper room vying for the highest place, and walked out conceding to each other the highest place. It is also true that like today where there are many who surrender all from time to time, so it was with the disciples. They wandered in and out of conversion. They did not understand their continual need of Jesus. They tried to stop Jesus from going to the cross. They did not know the gospel message, that Jesus had to die that they might be saved.

The honored men of the world, the so-called great and wise men, with all their boasted wisdom, could not comprehend the character of Christ. They judged Him from outward appearance, from the humiliation that came upon Him as a human being. But to fishermen and publicans it had been given to see the Invisible. Even the disciples failed of understanding all that Jesus desired to reveal to them; but from time to time, as they surrendered themselves to the Holy Spirit's power, their minds were illuminated. They realized that the mighty God, clad in the garb of humanity, was among them. Jesus rejoiced that though this knowledge was not possessed by the wise and prudent, it had been revealed to these humble men. Often as He had presented the Old Testament Scriptures, and showed their application to Himself and His work of atonement, they had been awakened by His Spirit, and lifted into a heavenly atmosphere. Of the spiritual truths spoken by the prophets they had a clearer understanding than had the original writers themselves. Hereafter they would read the Old Testament Scriptures, not as the doctrines of the scribes and Pharisees, not as the utterances of wise men who were dead, but as a new revelation from God. They beheld Him "whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth Him not, neither knoweth Him: but ye know Him; for He dwelleth with you, and shall be in you." John 14:17.
     The only way in which we can gain a more perfect apprehension of truth is by keeping the heart tender and subdued by the Spirit of Christ. The soul must be cleansed from vanity and pride, and vacated of all that has held it in possession, and Christ must be enthroned within. Human science is too limited to comprehend the atonement. The plan of redemption is so far-reaching that philosophy cannot explain it. It will ever remain a mystery that the most profound reasoning cannot fathom. The science of salvation cannot be explained; but it can be known by experience. Only he who sees his own sinfulness can discern the preciousness of the Saviour.   

Dorine

« Reply #111 on: October 25, 2023, 06:05:00 AM »

Jesus has given us every opportunity to live a victorious life. I'm so thankful for His mercy and longsuffering. Without that I shutter to think of where I might be today. Every knock resisted brings such regret but praise God He doesn't torture us with the past but takes us where we are and points us to a life filled with peace and happiness as we moment by moment walk with Him.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #112 on: October 25, 2023, 06:57:33 AM »
Amen dear Sister. Jesus is so very patient with us!

The honored men of the world, the so-called great and wise men, with all their boasted wisdom, could not comprehend the character of Christ. They judged Him from outward appearance, from the humiliation that came upon Him as a human being. But to fishermen and publicans it had been given to see the Invisible. Even the disciples failed of understanding all that Jesus desired to reveal to them; but from time to time, as they surrendered themselves to the Holy Spirit's power, their minds were illuminated. They realized that the mighty God, clad in the garb of humanity, was among them. Jesus rejoiced that though this knowledge was not possessed by the wise and prudent, it had been revealed to these humble men. Often as He had presented the Old Testament Scriptures, and showed their application to Himself and His work of atonement, they had been awakened by His Spirit, and lifted into a heavenly atmosphere. Of the spiritual truths spoken by the prophets they had a clearer understanding than had the original writers themselves. Hereafter they would read the Old Testament Scriptures, not as the doctrines of the scribes and Pharisees, not as the utterances of wise men who were dead, but as a new revelation from God. They beheld Him "whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth Him not, neither knoweth Him: but ye know Him; for He dwelleth with you, and shall be in you." John 14:17.
     The only way in which we can gain a more perfect apprehension of truth is by keeping the heart tender and subdued by the Spirit of Christ. The soul must be cleansed from vanity and pride, and vacated of all that has held it in possession, and Christ must be enthroned within. Human science is too limited to comprehend the atonement. The plan of redemption is so far-reaching that philosophy cannot explain it. It will ever remain a mystery that the most profound reasoning cannot fathom. The science of salvation cannot be explained; but it can be known by experience. Only he who sees his own sinfulness can discern the preciousness of the Saviour.     

Yes. The disciples were converted prior to the cross,  all except Judas. They wandered on and out of Jesus.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #113 on: October 25, 2023, 08:09:06 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine and Brother Beacon! Though the disciples wandered in and out of conversion prior to the cross, we can learn from their experience what we need to be converted--and that is to be fully surrendered to the Holy Spirit!

Let us not neglect the light of heaven-sent truth! As we are given opportunity to know and follow truth, let us act on it, and not sin willfully, for this grieves the Holy Spirit. As we come to Christ just as we are and are drawn by His loveliness, all of the fruits of the Spirit will be revealed in the life that yields fully to Him! Because we love Him, we will be empowered to obey Him up to the light He has revealed to us!

"The True Witness says, 'Behold, I stand at the door, and knock.' Revelation 3:20. Every warning, reproof, and entreaty in the word of God or through His messengers is a knock at the door of the heart. It is the voice of Jesus asking for entrance. With every knock unheeded, the disposition to open becomes weaker. The impressions of the Holy Spirit if disregarded today, will not be as strong tomorrow. The heart becomes less impressible, and lapses into a perilous unconsciousness of the shortness of life, and of the great eternity beyond. Our condemnation in the judgment will not result from the fact that we have been in error, but from the fact that we have neglected heaven-sent opportunities for learning what is truth." {The Desire of Ages, page 489, paragraph 5}

God is so good to us and is patient with us, and He calls us to surrender because His light is the best way to live! Apart from Him, we perish. Let us abide in Jesus!!

Beacon

« Reply #114 on: October 25, 2023, 08:52:26 AM »
"The omnipotent power of the Holy Spirit is the defense of every contrite soul. "

"Not one that in penitence and faith has claimed His protection will Christ permit to pass under the enemy's power."

"The Saviour is by the side of His tempted and tried ones."

"With Him there can be no such thing as failure, loss, impossibility, or defeat.

"We can do all things through Him who strengthens us."

"When temptations and trials come, do not wait to adjust all the difficulties, but look to Jesus, your helper."

================================
O soul, are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There’s light for a look at the Savior,
And life more abundant and free.
    Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
  In the light of His glory and grace.
Through death into life everlasting
He passed, and we follow Him there;
O’er us sin no more hath dominion
For more than conqu’rors we are!
His Word shall not fail you, He promised;
Believe Him and all will be well;
Then go to a world that is dying,
His perfect salvation to tell!

Lyrics &Music:Helen Howarth Lemmel (1863-1961)

Beacon

« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2024, 08:02:19 PM »
"The only way in which we can gain a more perfect apprehension of truth is by keeping the heart tender and subdued by the Spirit of Christ."

"The soul must be cleansed from vanity and pride, and vacated of all that has held it in possession,"

"Christ must be enthroned within."

"Human science is too limited to comprehend the atonement."

"The plan of redemption is so far-reaching that philosophy cannot explain it."  "

"It will ever remain a mystery that the most profound reasoning cannot fathom."

"The science of salvation cannot be explained; but it can be known by experience."

"Only he who sees his own sinfulness can discern the preciousness of the Saviour."

Are "WE" willing to admit "OUR" Great Need of His Amazing Grace? Let us pray that He will open our eyes and heart to His profound offer which He paid for us upon the cross of Calvary.

===============================
Amazing grace! how sweet the sound,
  That saved a wretch; like me!
I once was lost, but now am found,
  Was blind, but now I see.
’Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
  And grace my fears relieved;
How precious did that grace appear
  The hour I first believed!
The Lord hath promised good to me,
  His word my hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be
  As long as life endures.
When we’ve been there ten thousand years,
  Bright shining as the sun,
We’ve no less days to sing God’s praise
  Than when we first begun.

Lyrics:John Newton (1725-1807)
Music:Traditional American melody

Dorine

« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2024, 02:43:38 AM »
"The only way in which we can gain a more perfect apprehension of truth is by keeping the heart tender and subdued by the Spirit of Christ. The soul must be cleansed from vanity and pride, and vacated of all that has held it in possession, and Christ must be enthroned within. Human science is too limited to comprehend the atonement. The plan of redemption is so far-reaching that philosophy cannot explain it. It will ever remain a mystery that the most profound reasoning cannot fathom. The science of salvation cannot be explained; but it can be known by experience. Only he who sees his own sinfulness can discern the preciousness of the Saviour."

This is one of the hardest lessons to learn. Human nature does not want to give up control but until it does the Holy Spirit remains on the outside of our hearts knocking for entrance. God's grace truly is a mystery. It is useless to try and explain it except through the testimony of the life of each one that surrenders to Christ and experiences the life changing characteristics of God. Our hearts door opens to the knock and the Holy Spirit comes in to abide in our hearts. He wants to be our constant companion to lead, guide and to protect us from evil. What an awesome privilege to become part of the royal family of God.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2024, 04:45:40 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!

Happy Sabbath!!

Let us appreciate more fully the ministry of the Holy Spirit in lifting our thoughts and desires to Jesus, our ever-present Savior and guide!

"The omnipotent power of the Holy Spirit is the defense of every contrite soul. Not one that in penitence and faith has claimed His protection will Christ permit to pass under the enemy's power. The Saviour is by the side of His tempted and tried ones. With Him there can be no such thing as failure, loss, impossibility, or defeat; we can do all things through Him who strengthens us. When temptations and trials come, do not wait to adjust all the difficulties, but look to Jesus, your helper." {The Desire of Ages, page 490, paragraph 5}

Jesus is stronger than Satan. Talk and think of Jesus. Let self be lost in Him and abide in His love so that all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing may be revealed in our lives as we follow the path Jesus marks out for us in true obedience to all of His holy commandments!

Philip T

« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2024, 03:49:10 PM »
  Every human being, in body, soul, and spirit, is the property of God. Christ died to redeem all. Nothing can be more offensive to God than for men, through religious bigotry, to bring suffering upon those who are the purchase of the Saviour's blood.

Stop and consider this short paragraph, we are all God's property, Christ did not die for a few but for all who reach out in faith and claim Jeus as their Savior, with a dire warning to anyone who dares to use Christian bigotry to discourage one his children purchased with his blood.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2024, 07:27:09 AM »
Amen my dear friends!

The only way in which we can gain a more perfect apprehension of truth is by keeping the heart tender and subdued by the Spirit of Christ. The soul must be cleansed from vanity and pride, and vacated of all that has held it in possession, and Christ must be enthroned within.......Only he who sees his own sinfulness can discern the preciousness of the Saviour.