Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--47--Ministry  (Read 9155 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--47--Ministry
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2017, 05:59:51 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean!  God loves us and has power that sadly many do not know. He is the Great Physician. He is the one that heals both mind and  body. It is "unbelief" that keeps humanity in bondage to sin.     

Their unbelief, that shut them out from deeper sympathy with Christ, and the carelessness with which they regarded the sacred work committed to them, had caused their failure in the conflict with the powers of darkness.
     The words of Christ pointing to His death had brought sadness and doubt. And the selection of the three disciples to accompany Jesus to the mountain had excited the jealousy of the nine. Instead of strengthening their faith by prayer and meditation on the words of Christ, they had been dwelling on their discouragements and personal grievances. In this state of darkness they had undertaken the conflict with Satan.
     In order to succeed in such a conflict they must come to the work in a different spirit. Their faith must be strengthened by fervent prayer and fasting, and humiliation of heart. They must be emptied of self, and be filled with the Spirit and power of God. Earnest, persevering supplication to God in faith--faith that leads to entire dependence upon God, and unreserved consecration to His work--can alone avail to bring men the Holy Spirit's aid in the battle against principalities and powers, the rulers of the darkness of this world, and wicked spirits in high places.

How is it that we can overcome our "unbelief"?

Cast yourself at His feet with the cry, "Lord, I believe; help Thou mine unbelief." You can never perish while you do this--never. 

Such a promise!!!    Claim it and look upon Jesus. By beholding Jesus, our faith will increase and our "unbelief" will be removed. Nothing shall be impossible for us as we labor for the salvation of others!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2017, 05:01:27 AM »
Can we cast out demons? Why could the disciples not cast out the evil spirit?

They must be emptied of self, and be filled with the Spirit and power of God. Earnest, persevering supplication to God in faith--faith that leads to entire dependence upon God, and unreserved consecration to His work--can alone avail to bring men the Holy Spirit's aid in the battle against principalities and powers, the rulers of the darkness of this world, and wicked spirits in high places.

This is true for any good work we want to do. We are evil by nature and do no good thing until filled with the Holy Spirit. Then we become partakers of God's divine nature.

There were two issues of faith involved in the inability to cast out this demon. One was the lack of faith on the part of the disciples, the other was the lack of faith of the father. When he recognized it was going to cost him his son, he cried out "Lord, I believe; help Thou mine unbelief." When we pray this prayer, God hears it.

It is faith that connects us with heaven, and brings us strength for coping with the powers of darkness. In Christ, God has provided means for subduing every sinful trait, and resisting every temptation, however strong. But many feel that they lack faith, and therefore they remain away from Christ. Let these souls, in their helpless unworthiness, cast themselves upon the mercy of their compassionate Saviour. Look not to self, but to Christ. He who healed the sick and cast out demons when He walked among men is the same mighty Redeemer today. Faith comes by the word of God. Then grasp His promise, "Him that cometh to Me I will in no wise cast out." John 6:37. Cast yourself at His feet with the cry, "Lord, I believe; help Thou mine unbelief." You can never perish while you do this--never. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 09:35:28 AM »
Amen, Richard!

We can never perish as long as we recognize our need and come to Jesus, the only one who can supply our need, so we can have saving faith that connects us with heaven and gives us power to obey God through a full heart surrender! When we have Jesus, there is no limit to what He can do in and through us by His Spirit!!

In a brief space of time the favored disciples have beheld the extreme of glory and of humiliation. They have seen humanity as transfigured into the image of God, and as debased into the likeness of Satan. From the mountain where He has talked with the heavenly messengers, and has been proclaimed the Son of God by the voice from the radiant glory, they have seen Jesus descend to meet that most distressing and revolting spectacle, the maniac boy, with distorted countenance, gnashing his teeth in spasms of agony that no human power could relieve. And this mighty Redeemer, who but a few hours before stood glorified before His wondering disciples, stoops to lift the victim of Satan from the earth where he is wallowing, and in health of mind and body restores him to his father and his home. {The Desire of Ages, page 429, paragraph 2}

I so appreciate that what we see of Jesus is a picture of what our lives are to be and will be when we have saving faith in Him. While it is not now that we are transfigured with glory (which happens when Jesus comes again and gives us glorified bodies), we do have the opportunity to experience deep communion with our Heavenly Father through earnest prayer "in the mount" as it were, and to then go forth to seek and save the lost as Christ bids us in His infinite love. For some reason it really struck me today that Jesus' glorified humanity is a promise of what we are to receive through Him. And Jesus ministry effectiveness is also a promise--because while we now suffer and encounter those who are being attacked by Satan, we can glory in tribulations also by abiding in Jesus! What a blessing to behold the loveliness of Jesus and to let Him work in us to will and to do of His good pleasure!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2017, 03:09:15 AM »
When Jesus reveals the truth of His character to us, and His mission becomes clear to us, we can choose to meditate upon His character and let His words transform us, or we can indulge an unbelieving spirit that grieves Him and causes the Heavenly Guest, the Holy Spirit, to no longer remain within our soul temple. He lovingly knocks and calls for re-entrance, but the experience through which we pass when we have severed ourselves from the experiential joy of having all of the fruits of the Spirit in our lives without one missing leads us to realize our deep need of His grace.

As I was reading about how Jesus healed the boy who was demon-possessed, I am encouraged to know that no matter how humanly impossible any situation may be, I can choose to come in faith to Jesus and ask Him to bring healing, deliverance, and strength to cope with the powers of darkness. Apart from Jesus, I can do no good thing. I need Him continually to abide in my heart by faith. There is a lesson to be learned from why the disciples experienced failure in their work--that outward issue was but the symptom of an inner heart problem. Being able to do the work of God is heart work--our hearts must be fully surrendered to God and cleansed from all variance, pride, selfishness, and contention before we can serve Him aright. Let us realize our continual dependence upon Christ, and make it our prayer today, as did the father whose son needed to be healed:

Mark 9:24: "And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief."

Jesus will always answer that prayer when prayed in sincerity and true need. He will take away our sinful unbelief and in its place give us a new heart filled with all of the fruits of the Spirit so that not one is missing--and one of those fruits is faith--the faith that works by love and purifies the soul! Praise God!

Reflecting on the lesson through which the disciples passed regarding this incident, I appreciated these thoughts:

"The words of Christ pointing to His death had brought sadness and doubt. And the selection of the three disciples to accompany Jesus to the mountain had excited the jealousy of the nine. Instead of strengthening their faith by prayer and meditation on the words of Christ, they had been dwelling on their discouragements and personal grievances. In this state of darkness they had undertaken the conflict with Satan."  {The Desire of Ages, page 431, paragraph 1}
     "In order to succeed in such a conflict they must come to the work in a different spirit. Their faith must be strengthened by fervent prayer and fasting, and humiliation of heart. They must be emptied of self, and be filled with the Spirit and power of God. Earnest, persevering supplication to God in faith--faith that leads to entire dependence upon God, and unreserved consecration to His work--can alone avail to bring men the Holy Spirit's aid in the battle against principalities and powers, the rulers of the darkness of this world, and wicked spirits in high places." {The Desire of Ages, page 431, paragraph 2}
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2017, 06:32:19 AM »
Pastor Sean, your post has made me look at this story a little different this morning. I'm not sure if this really was a point that you made so if I'm reading too much into your post and/or think I've come to the wrong conclusions feel free to tell me so. I also realize this isn't the larger point you were trying to get across. But...

I don't know how many times I've read this story both in the Bible and SOP and while their are other lessons to learn from the story each time I've come away thinking... wow how much prayer and fasting was needed? Especially since in the past they had had the power to heal and cast out demons. However, this morning your post caused me to look at the immediate context. In the immediate context they were not praying or fasting at all but were murmuring and complaining. It wasn't that they were not fasting "enough" or praying "enough" it was simply that they lost sight of Christ and were not doing it all and allowed unbelief to come into their hearts.

Up until now because of Christ's words...

29 And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.

I had always seen this case of possession in the Bible as some kind of "special" case where extreme amounts of fasting and prayer were needed for some reason. Boy do I feel like a dunce now. Thanks for sharing this morning!
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2017, 06:39:24 AM »
Amen, Jim and Pastor Sean.  It all comes down to faith, saving faith. If we have any "unbelief" then we do not believe enough. We need faith that trusts Jesus with all we have and all we are. I like Brother Crawford's post where he lays it out to the point of telling us how we may receive this faith that is needed.

In Christ, she goes on to say, God has given us the means for overcoming EVERY SIN and resisting every temptation, IF we would only believe! But many of us cry out, realizing our own weakness, just as the father who brought the son with the "dumb" spirit to Jesus cried out: "Lord I believe; help Thou mine unbelief."

"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God" (Rom. 10:17). Commenting on Romans 10:17, the SDA Bible Commentary, Vol. 6, p. 600 reads: "...Genuine faith is not a blind confidence to be exercised in the absence of adequate evidence. Faith is our conviction about things we cannot see (Heb. 11:1), and this conviction must be founded upon knowledge, A KNOWLEDGE BASED UPON THE WORD OF GOD, the message about Christ. As a means of developing a transforming and enduring faith, THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE for the regular and earnest study of the Bible" (Emphasis mine).

As I have stated before, strength come through exercise. We build upon where we are spiritually ONE DAY AT A TIME through Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit as we pray and ask the Lord to give us what we stand in need of, so we can say in the words of the song: "I'm pressing on the upward way; NEW HEIGHTS I'M GAINING every day."

Amen!!!  Every day!!! Brother Crawford understood! And, if we will pray "Lord, I believe, help thou my unbelief" we will never perish.

Faith comes by the word of God. Then grasp His promise, "Him that cometh to Me I will in no wise cast out." John 6:37. Cast yourself at His feet with the cry, "Lord, I believe; help Thou mine unbelief." You can never perish while you do this--never. 

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2018, 03:49:58 AM »
Unbelief is what will separate us from Jesus if we do not come to Him and let Him transform us completely. We need this "thoughtful hour" upon the life and loveliness of Jesus, that we may not fall into the same error of the disciples who tried to do God's work without a living connection with Him. Unbelief is the greatest sin, but we need not despair--Christ can save us from ourselves as we cast ourselves upon Him with earnest prayer as we behold what He wrought in the lives of others who struggled to exercise saving faith. What is saving faith? Entire surrender to Christ, so He can purify the heart and mind, cleanse us from every stain of sin, and imbue us with His Holy Spirit so that all of the fruits of the Spirit are seen in our lives without one missing. Christ will give such an experience to all who come to Him just as they are, but who will cooperate with the saving grace of God working upon the heart, for the goodness of God leads us to repentance (Romans 2:4).

"The words of Christ pointing to His death had brought sadness and doubt. And the selection of the three disciples to accompany Jesus to the mountain had excited the jealousy of the nine. Instead of strengthening their faith by prayer and meditation on the words of Christ, they had been dwelling on their discouragements and personal grievances. In this state of darkness they had undertaken the conflict with Satan."  {The Desire of Ages, page 431, paragraph 1}
     "In order to succeed in such a conflict they must come to the work in a different spirit. Their faith must be strengthened by fervent prayer and fasting, and humiliation of heart. They must be emptied of self, and be filled with the Spirit and power of God. Earnest, persevering supplication to God in faith--faith that leads to entire dependence upon God, and unreserved consecration to His work--can alone avail to bring men the Holy Spirit's aid in the battle against principalities and powers, the rulers of the darkness of this world, and wicked spirits in high places." {The Desire of Ages, page 431, paragraph 2}

We may have a living experience with Jesus today! This is a beautiful Sabbath, and I praise God that a man is getting baptized in one of the churches where I pastor, as He is choosing to have his faith strengthened by the word of God and letting Christ transform Him! He listens to The Desire of Ages, and I know Jesus is transforming his life! Praise God! Jesus saves!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2018, 04:57:14 AM »
What a joy!  A new life in Christ Jesus!!   Even the baby Christian who has saving faith can move mountains....since he has no "unbelief."

The obstacles that are piled by Satan across your path, though apparently as insurmountable as the eternal hills, shall disappear before the demand of faith. "Nothing shall be impossible unto you." 

That all who have already been baptized should have no "unbelief." It is not too late. Today is the day of salvation. Today, we can make a full heart surrender to Christ. If we are not there yet, then we know how to get there. Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. We cannot trust someone we do not know. The Word is a revelation of Jesus Christ. If we will spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating the life of Christ, we shall be converted. And, we need to die daily, so we need to continue to focus on Jesus if we want to have spiritual life. We must live in these vile bodies until Jesus returns, but sinful flesh is no excuse for sin. God has provided a remedy in His Son.

We may become partakers of His divine nature today, if we will learn of Him who gave all that we might live. Baptism represents that whole heart surrender where we die to self and live unto Christ. If we do not maintain that experience, then like Peter, we shall fall into the water. Jesus understands. While in the water, Jesus is not in the heart. Where is He? He does not forsake us, He is standing at the door of the heart seeking entrance. If we have not yet come to repentance, then the all important question is "how do I get repentance?"  The same way we got repentance when we were baptized. It is by grace we are saved. It is grace that brings us to the whole heart surrender. How can I get this grace?

Grace is more than a word, it is the transforming power. When we behold Jesus hanging on the cross, is this not grace? Did He suffer and die for you because of something you did, or something you are? No. We are unworthy of His suffering and death. He suffered and died for you while you were yet a sinner. This is unmerited favor God has shown to the unrepentant sinner. This is grace. We must received this grace daily. It is what bring about repentance. It is this goodness of God that leads us to repentance. "Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?" Romans 2:4.

We do not grace for tomorrow, but only enough for today. We must behold God's grace tomorrow in order to maintain our converted state. We must see the goodness of God, we must feed upon Jesus continually if we want spiritual life. Jesus tells us that if He be lifted up, He will draw all unto Himself. What is the drawing? It is His grace. When we see Him on the cross suffering because of our sins, what happens in the heart? There is a deep sorrow because I have caused my Savior to suffer and die. This is the power that transforms sinners into saints. This sorrow leads to repentance.  "For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of..." 2 Cor. 7:10.

Lord, I believe, take away my unbelief! Take my heart for I cannot give it. Help me to see your love for me, help me to make a full heart surrender to you today, is my prayer in the precious name of Jesus.

Dorine

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2018, 06:24:55 AM »
Happy Sabbath to my Remnant family. Churches have been cancelled here because all parking lots and drive ways are pure ice. Main road is fine, you just can't get to them.

The most precious passage to me from our reading today is,

"If Thou canst do anything, have compassion on us, and help us." How many a sin-burdened soul has echoed that prayer. And to all, the pitying Saviour's answer is, "If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth." It is faith that connects us with heaven, and brings us strength for coping with the powers of darkness. In Christ, God has provided means for subduing every sinful trait, and resisting every temptation, however strong. But many feel that they lack faith, and therefore they remain away from Christ. Let these souls, in their helpless unworthiness, cast themselves upon the mercy of their compassionate Saviour. Look not to self, but to Christ. He who healed the sick and cast out demons when He walked among men is the same mighty Redeemer today. Faith comes by the word of God. Then grasp His promise, "Him that cometh to Me I will in no wise cast out." John 6:37. Cast yourself at His feet with the cry, "Lord, I believe; help Thou mine unbelief." You can never perish while you do this--never.

The last 9 words bring such comfort to me this morning. My heart sings as I contemplate the provisions of God for our redemption through His Son Jesus. 
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2018, 11:30:19 AM »
Amen!!  When we come to understand who we are by nature, we will understand this prayer. When I wake up in the morning, before my devotions, I always pray that the Lord will take away my unbelief. Oh how weak and evil we are apart from Jesus.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2018, 05:28:00 AM »
What are your obstacles today? What are your trials? None of them are too great for Jesus to bear, for He holds up worlds. Maybe your difficulty is a broken heart, feeling the loss and grief that only Jesus fully knows. Come to Him. He turns no weeping, contrite one away. Go to Jesus with your soul all broken and sin-stained, and know that it is HIS GLORY to encircle you in His arms of love and to bind up your heart wounds, to make you pure and holy. This is a miracle. But we need to remember that God does things that are impossible for us all the time. Faith strengthens when we give expression to it. Tell someone your testimony today. Share what trials and difficulties Jesus has brought you through, and it will encourage you to believe that He is WELL ABLE to deliver you from the trials of today, and the ones that you will face in the future. Each day consecrate yourself fully to God, and more and more your life will be developed after the similitude of the character of Christ! This is a great miracle, but God loves to do for us exceeding abundantly above all we can possibly ask or think--so keep your eyes fixed on Jesus. What appears dark and difficult will be made bright with the light that streams from Calvary's cross. Go to the cross. Behold the Lamb of God who has the power to take away not just the sin of the world, but YOUR SIN--YOUR PLAGUED HEART can be healed from the power of sin!! A new heart and a new mind is promised from Jesus! This is nothing short of true conversion, and the evidence that Christ is working this miracle in you continually is that He manifests His sweet presence in all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing! What an incredible adventure it is to be a true Christian, living by every word that proceeds from His mouth. When we realize the power of an abiding faith connection with Christ, we will rejoice in our tribulations because through them character is formed that causes us to rejoice even more because we are being purified, elevated, and refined through continual union and communion with Christ! Have mustard seed faith--and let it grow by coming daily to spend a "thoughtful hour" with Jesus--and your faith will be ignited by His love!!

"'If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed,' said Jesus, 'ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove.' Though the grain of mustard seed is so small, it contains that same mysterious life principle which produces growth in the loftiest tree. When the mustard seed is cast into the ground, the tiny germ lays hold of every element that God has provided for its nutriment, and it speedily develops a sturdy growth. If you have faith like this, you will lay hold upon God's word, and upon all the helpful agencies He has appointed. Thus your faith will strengthen, and will bring to your aid the power of heaven. The obstacles that are piled by Satan across your path, though apparently as insurmountable as the eternal hills, shall disappear before the demand of faith. 'Nothing shall be impossible unto you.'" {The Desire of Ages, page 431, paragraph 3}

Dorine

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2018, 06:21:42 AM »
We have been granted another new day to walk in the footsteps of Jesus. We are another day closer to His return. I've been blessed once again by our reading. Reading God's word and the SOP is such a special time for me. The time goes so quickly and I want to linger forever in the intimate moments we share. But Jesus has a work for me to do as this chapter points out.

"Not alone upon the mountaintop with Jesus, in hours of spiritual illumination, is the life of Christ's servants to be spent. There is work for them down in the plain. Souls whom Satan has enslaved are waiting for the word of faith and prayer to set them free.

.....Earnest, persevering supplication to God in faith; faith that leads to entire dependence upon God, and unreserved consecration to His work, can avail to bring men the Holy Spirit's aid in the battle against principalities and powers, the rulers of the darkness of this world, and wicked spirits in high places."

God has given us each a measure of faith. God will do mighty things for us even if that faith is the size of a mustard seed. It's available to all who come to Him in full surrender.

But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2018, 07:31:54 AM »
Amen!  That small amount of faith in God will lead all to salvation if we will come to Jesus just as we are. If we will believe withe the whole heart, we will be able to move mountains through the power of Christ. No temptation will be too hard to resist. This kind of faith, saving faith, comes by the Word of God, for it is a revelation of Jesus Christ. By beholding His glory we are transformed into His character. "But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord." 2 Cor. 3:18.

As Pastor Sean has shared "The obstacles that are piled by Satan across your path, though apparently as insurmountable as the eternal hills, shall disappear before the demand of faith. 'Nothing shall be impossible unto you."

We may this experience today if we will learn of God. When we believe with the whole heart, nothing will be impossible for us.

"If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth." It is faith that connects us with heaven, and brings us strength for coping with the powers of darkness. In Christ, God has provided means for subduing every sinful trait, and resisting every temptation, however strong. But many feel that they lack faith, and therefore they remain away from Christ. Let these souls, in their helpless unworthiness, cast themselves upon the mercy of their compassionate Saviour. Look not to self, but to Christ. He who healed the sick and cast out demons when He walked among men is the same mighty Redeemer today. Faith comes by the word of God. Then grasp His promise, "Him that cometh to Me I will in no wise cast out." John 6:37. Cast yourself at His feet with the cry, "Lord, I believe; help Thou mine unbelief." You can never perish while you do this--never. 

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2018, 03:04:24 AM »
It is such a blessing to let Jesus wake us up each morning, and spend hours in prayer and study with Him in the Bible, the Desire of Ages (and other Spirit of Prophecy books), in nature, and in meditation upon His character. This is a wonderful experience--but as Jesus experience becomes ours by faith, it leads to the next phase of character--ministry to all around us in need. The two are to be continually blended. One without the other becomes imbalanced. It is time with Jesus that gives us His unselfish love to flow out of us to the helpless and sinful souls around us, first realizing how great is His grace to pardon and heal us! What a miracle it is that Jesus has healed me for over 7 years completely from bipolar disorder! I resonate so much with the story in Mark 9:9-29--I was that "demon possessed boy" so to speak--thrown from one manic phase ("fire") to the cold waters of depression. Manic-depression, mental illness, and all kinds of maladies are so common now. Can Jesus heal? Can His word restore? YES!! Through His healing agencies of nutrition, exercise, water, sunshine, temperance (abstaining from harmful things and partaking of good things in moderation), air (that is fresh and breathed deeply), rest (before midnight hours are so key!) and trust in God's divine power He has given me a NEWSTART in life and it continues to get better EVERY DAY! I love Jesus and I must testify of His healing power--and His love that reaches out to restore you and those you love whatever you may be facing right now. There is HOPE in Jesus!

"It was an object lesson of redemption,--the Divine One from the Father's glory stooping to save the lost. It represented also the disciples' mission. Not alone upon the mountaintop with Jesus, in hours of spiritual illumination, is the life of Christ's servants to be spent. There is work for them down in the plain. Souls whom Satan has enslaved are waiting for the word of faith and prayer to set them free." {The Desire of Ages, page 429, paragraph 3}

The key to healing is to COME to Christ as you are, and by beholding His loveliness of character, let Him change you as you cooperate with His Holy Spirit who is working upon you (up to conversion) and once you fully surrender, He then works IN YOU! This is the power of the gospel--to take broken wrecks of humanity and make them into instruments of His grace! The music every converted soul will bring fourth will be marked by their own individuality, but it will ever reveal the fruits of the Spirit without one missing! Galatians 5:22-23 describe how the new life of faith is experienced--and it is the result of having been set free by Jesus! Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God...so go to Jesus and behold His lovely character in each promise of His word! Praise God for such a Savior as our lovely Jesus!! I can testify forever of how good He is to me! Will you join me? What has Jesus done for you? 

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2018, 06:04:34 AM »
Instead of strengthening their faith by prayer and meditation on the words of Christ, they had been dwelling on their discouragements and personal grievances.

So what is it that gives us faith and strength? It's by prayer and meditating on the words of Christ. Which I believe is the whole purpose of taking a thoughtful hour each day on the life of Christ. It connects us to Christ who is the source of faith and strength in the first place.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Dorine

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2018, 08:03:42 AM »
What a blessing to read your post this morning Pastor Sean. Thank you for bringing out points that may not be so obvious in our reading today.

Jim it's so true. I know from experience that when I have neglected prayer and bible study my thoughts became dark and selfish. Faith can not live in a negative environment. I want to live my life in the sunshine of His love and be a witness to His goodness.

"The words of Christ pointing to His death had brought sadness and doubt. And the selection of the three disciples to accompany Jesus to the mountain had excited the jealousy of the nine. Instead of strengthening their faith by prayer and meditation on the words of Christ, they had been dwelling on their discouragements and personal grievances. In this state of darkness they had undertaken the conflict with Satan.       

In order to succeed in such a conflict they must come to the work in a different spirit. Their faith must be strengthened by fervent prayer and fasting, and humiliation of heart. They must be emptied of self, and be filled with the Spirit and power of God. Earnest, persevering supplication to God in faith--faith that leads to entire dependence upon God, and unreserved consecration to His work--can alone avail to bring men the Holy Spirit's aid in the battle against principalities and powers, the rulers of the darkness of this world, and wicked spirits in high places."

Is it any different today? We see power struggles, jealousy, personal grievances and a spiritual restlessness that is causing great confusion among our people. At the same time we are having special weekend emphasis meetings on the power of prayer, the Holy Spirit, etc. but hearts are not being changed. Many are waiting for the Holy Spirit to do the changing but on their terms.

I've had some heart to heart talks with people I really care about and when bringing up the solution as is stated in the above quote I'm saddened to hear them say, "Yes, but".   I'm sure we have all heard the meaning of the acronym BUT.....behold the underlying truth.

What they are really saying is something like......"I hear what you are saying BUT I have a better understanding of the way it really is."

Scripture and SOP are being reinterpreted to suit each individuals preferences.  May God find us faithful and true to His word.

Sabbath

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2018, 10:07:53 PM »
It is a privilege to join in with you brothers and sisters in studying the Word of God through the Spirit of Prophecy Desire of Ages. You will be seeing me posting daily on this forum. I am excited that I now have the chance to also interact with people that have the love for Jesus and His truth in Desire of Ages. My name is Sabbath. I was born and raised in the Seventh-day Adventist Church. My father always shared and read the Desire of Ages for our morning devotions. During my childhood I never did take the Spirit of Prophecy, Desire of Ages, seriously. Now I understand how important the reading of the Spirit of Prophecy is, and especially the Desire of Ages which reveals more fully the life and teachings of Jesus.

We see in today's reading one of Satan's biggest deceptions through one of our five senses which is his playground. Satan's lies were more believable than what Jesus had said about His death. That is one of the main reasons why they were not able to cast out the demons. Hebrews chapter 11, verse six said it so well, "Without faith it is impossible to please God for whomever comes to Him must believe that He is God and He is the rewarder of those who diligently seek Him."

Their unbelief, that shut them out from deeper sympathy with Christ, and the carelessness with which they regarded the sacred work committed to them, had caused their failure in the conflict with the powers of darkness.
     The words of Christ pointing to His death had brought sadness and doubt. And the selection of the three disciples to accompany Jesus to the mountain had excited the jealousy of the nine. Instead of strengthening their faith by prayer and meditation on the words of Christ, they had been dwelling on their discouragements and personal grievances. In this state of darkness they had undertaken the conflict with Satan. 

Dorine

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2018, 04:22:02 AM »
Welcome Sabbath. I am delighted to see your post. We have been praying for others to join us in this special time together. You will find this a warm and friendly place where there is unity in the truths of God's word.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2018, 04:13:08 AM »
Success in ministry depends upon one simple thing: continual union and communion with Christ. We can do no good thing apart from Him. The fallen nature is unbelieving and liable to continual error. We need the divine nature to uphold us--and this nature is available to us through His exceedingly great and precious promises! We can honestly pray, "Lord, I believe; help Thou mine unbelief" (Mark 9:24). Jesus will answer this prayer, and give us His faith that works by love (with all of the fruits of the Spirit, not one missing) while empowering us to obey Him with a pure heart fervently!

We learn from the disciples' experience how much we need the true fast--the fast from sin and self whereby we are enabled to see the needs of others and have a constant connection with Christ to bring them the true healing by the Holy Spirit!

Dorine

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2018, 08:06:58 AM »
In a brief space of time the favored disciples have beheld the extreme of glory and of humiliation. They have seen humanity as transfigured into the image of God, and as debased into the likeness of Satan. From the mountain where He has talked with the heavenly messengers, and has been proclaimed the Son of God by the voice from the radiant glory, they have seen Jesus descend to meet that most distressing and revolting spectacle, the maniac boy, with distorted countenance, gnashing his teeth in spasms of agony that no human power could relieve. And this mighty Redeemer, who but a few hours before stood glorified before His wondering disciples, stoops to lift the victim of Satan from the earth where he is wallowing, and in health of mind and body restores him to his father and his home.

That's our Jesus. As we walk with Him today may we always be conscious of the mission Jesus passed on to us. We are to walk the same path He and His disciples walked. After spending precious time each morning in devotions the Holy Spirit will direct our comings and our goings and opportunities will arise that will bring us into circumstances where we will have the privilege of sharing Jesus with others.