Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--42--Tradition  (Read 23270 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Re: The Desire of Ages--42--Tradition
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2017, 05:39:40 AM »
Amen pastor Sean. He leads us step by step and never more than we can handle at the time. This morning I was thinking about this...

Jesus made no attempt to defend Himself or His disciples. He made no reference to the charges against Him, but proceeded to show the spirit that actuated these sticklers for human rites. He gave them an example of what they were repeatedly doing, and had done just before coming in search of Him. "Full well ye reject the commandment of God," He said, "that ye may keep your own tradition.

It is interesting to see how Christ dealt with people's questions and accusations. He rarely answered their accusations, but ignored them and then just went on to present truth. A good example for us when we are tempted to answer them point for point.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2017, 07:16:55 AM »
Amen, Jim. Like with Nicodemus, he continues with what the sinner needs to know. In the case you point out, He tells them they are unrepentant sinners. What a condemnation! With Nicodemus, He told him right off, he was not converted, he was not going to heaven unless he was born again. It was out of love for all that he revealed their condemned condition.

Are we prepared to be treated as He was because we tell someone such truth, that they are not converted? It does not always meet with approval. Of course we cannot be successful if we have not removed the beam from our own eye first. If we are not filled with the Spirit and loving the sinner, then we cannot expect to succeed in giving to others what we do not possess.

There is much made over particular doctrines today. Do we get sidetracked or do we continue on presenting the truth?

The questions that most concern us are, Do I believe with saving faith on the Son of God? Is my life in harmony with the divine law? "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life." "And hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments." John 3:36; 1 John 2:3. 

The most popular teachings in the church today are contrary to this truth. Of course Satan also has a "gospel" that appears to teach this, but does not. Our only hope is to allow Christ to take control of the whole man, not 99% of him. He wants the whole heart, then the Holy Spirit will live in the heart cleansed from sin.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2017, 05:11:59 AM »
 To the multitude, and afterward more fully to His disciples, Jesus explained that defilement comes not from without, but from within. Purity and impurity pertain to the soul. It is the evil deed, the evil word, the evil thought, the transgression of the law of God, not the neglect of external, man-made ceremonies, that defiles a man.

Here because of they were offended the religious leaders lost a chance to gain more understanding of what Christ was trying to teach them. It was those who remained that Christ took the time to more fully explain what He was saying. My toes have also been stepped on many times through a sermon, or reading the Bible or SOP and if I had turn and ran the other direction every time a truth hurt I'd be in a sad situation. How do you or I respond when the Sword of His Word pierces the soul? Do we run or do we stick around for healing? A doctor first needs to set the bone before proper healing can take place.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2017, 05:51:15 AM »
Amen, Jim! I remember when I broke a bone in my leg, and titanium screws were needed in order to help hold the bones together so it could heal in a way that would let me walk again. I am SO THANKFUL that I can walk today. When Jesus' message comes to our hearts and convicts us of some practice in our life that needs to change--some tradition we may have thought was from Him that He invites us to let go of--we can either choose to respond to His work of transforming our characters by our continual cooperation (a continual surrender our will to Him), or we can resist His healing work to enable us to truly walk the walk of faith to prepare us for heaven. I chose to let the doctor help my leg heal, even though it was painful. We are not so much to resist pain in our Christian experience, but to seek to avoid displeasing God by committing sin that grieves Him. Let us remember that He does nothing capriciously, but always for our best good:

Lamentations 3:33 "For He doth not afflict willingly nor grieve the children of men." Yet when sin must be dealt with, or traditions must be uprooted, let us remember that God only does what is for our good to help us experience the healing of His love and grace that will renew my heart. Instead of finding fault with the work of the Great Physician, Jesus, let us commit our case--our life and all we are--to Him. He will bring us off more than conqueror!

Rather than getting into controversy about tradition and unneeded distinctions, let us fix our eyes on Jesus and His will for us from His clear, unchanging Word. Let us know for ourselves that we have a saving faith experience by communion and union of our souls with Christ and applying what He has taught us from the Bible. I appreciated this thought today from The Desire of Ages, page 396, paragraph 3:

"Whenever the message of truth comes home to souls with special power, Satan stirs up his agents to start a dispute over some minor question. Thus he seeks to attract attention from the real issue. Whenever a good work is begun, there are cavilers ready to enter into dispute over forms or technicalities, to draw minds away from the living realities. When it appears that God is about to work in a special manner for His people, let them not be enticed into a controversy that will work only ruin of souls. The questions that most concern us are, Do I believe with saving faith on the Son of God? Is my life in harmony with the divine law? 'He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life.' 'And hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.' John 3:36; 1 John 2:3."

Keeping God's commandments from the heart is ALWAYS accompanied by a genuine manifestation of all of the fruits of the Spirit being in the life--because it is from the heart that we come to fully believe upon Christ, and when He abides in the heart, He does so by His Spirit with His characteristic love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. This is the experience He offers all of us--if we will but come to Him, behold Him, and experience the grace of God that transforms our souls!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2017, 08:31:33 PM »
This chapter addresses "tradition".  We know that the Jews and the Roman Church both set aside Scripture in favor of their traditions. But, what of God's people today? And what will come of those who place their rules and traditions above God's Word?

"Ye hypocrites," He said, addressing the wily spies, "well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying, This people draweth nigh unto Me with their mouth, and honoreth Me with their lips; but their heart is far from Me. But in vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men." The words of Christ were an arraignment of the whole system of Pharisaism. He declared that by placing their requirements above the divine precepts the rabbis were setting themselves above God.
     The deputies from Jerusalem were filled with rage. They could not accuse Christ as a violator of the law given from Sinai, for He spoke as its defender against their traditions. The great precepts of the law, which He had presented, appeared in striking contrast to the petty rules that men had devised. 

Christ is our example. There is a time and place to be firm with unrepentant sinners, especially when they have great influence and their sin is the sin of placing their teaching above that of God. The chapter closes with this powerful truth:

The substitution of the precepts of men for the commandments of God has not ceased. Even among Christians are found institutions and usages that have no better foundation than the traditions of the fathers. Such institutions, resting upon mere human authority, have supplanted those of divine appointment. Men cling to their traditions, and revere their customs, and cherish hatred against those who seek to show them their error. In this day, when we are bidden to call attention to the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus, we see the same enmity as was manifested in the days of Christ. Of the remnant people of God it is written, "The dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ." Revelation 12:17.
     But "every plant, which My heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up." In place of the authority of the so-called fathers of the church, God bids us accept the word of the eternal Father, the Lord of heaven and earth. Here alone is truth unmixed with error. David said, "I have more understanding than all my teachers: for Thy testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep Thy precepts." Psalm 119:99, 100. Let all who accept human authority, the customs of the church, or the traditions of the fathers, take heed to the warning conveyed in the words of Christ, "In vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men." 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2018, 05:28:57 AM »
Jesus made no attempt to defend Himself or His disciples. He made no reference to the charges against Him, but proceeded to show the spirit that actuated these sticklers for human rites. He gave them an example of what they were repeatedly doing, and had done just before coming in search of Him. "Full well ye reject the commandment of God," He said, "that ye may keep your own tradition. For Moses said, Honor thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death: but ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free. And ye suffer him no more to do aught for his father or his mother."

The highlighted part is something that took me a while to learn and understand. Most often the truth doesn't need to be defended. Truth can and will defend itself. I think we'd get much farther in out witness if we did as Christ and simply ignore the charges/attacks/accusations and then present the truth. For me anyway sometimes the simple ways take longer to understand and put into practice.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2018, 05:42:01 AM »
Amen, Jim! When Jesus is in our hearts, we do not have to defend ourselves, for self is crucified with Christ. We present the truth as it is in Jesus, and those who are open to truth we can work with. We are not to give influence to error and controversy by making that the focus. Jesus came to plant heavenly truth, and those who were open to learning the truth would be able to receive it.

May we realize that the only safe foundation upon which to stand when it concerns our belief and practice is that which we find in the word of God, that which we see in the life and character of Jesus, and that which the Holy Spirit is revealing as present truth in this time.

"The substitution of the precepts of men for the commandments of God has not ceased. Even among Christians are found institutions and usages that have no better foundation than the traditions of the fathers. Such institutions, resting upon mere human authority, have supplanted those of divine appointment. Men cling to their traditions, and revere their customs, and cherish hatred against those who seek to show them their error. In this day, when we are bidden to call attention to the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus, we see the same enmity as was manifested in the days of Christ. Of the remnant people of God it is written, 'The dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.' Revelation 12:17."  {The Desire of Ages, page 398, paragraph 3}
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2018, 07:23:24 AM »
A short but powerful chapter that keeps us focused on what is really important to God and to our salvation.

".....God bids us accept the word of the eternal Father, the Lord of heaven and earth. Here alone is truth unmixed with error. David said, "I have more understanding than all my teachers: for Thy testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep Thy precepts." Ps. 119:99, 100. Let all who accept human authority, the customs of the church, or the traditions of the fathers, take heed to the warning conveyed in the words of Christ, "In vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men."

I'm so thankful for God's word that keeps me anchored in truth.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2018, 08:15:15 PM »
Jesus made no attempt to defend Himself or His disciples. He made no reference to the charges against Him, but proceeded to show the spirit that actuated these sticklers for human rites. He gave them an example of what they were repeatedly doing, and had done just before coming in search of Him. "Full well ye reject the commandment of God," He said, "that ye may keep your own tradition. For Moses said, Honor thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death: but ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free. And ye suffer him no more to do aught for his father or his mother."

The highlighted part is something that took me a while to learn and understand. Most often the truth doesn't need to be defended. Truth can and will defend itself. I think we'd get much farther in out witness if we did as Christ and simply ignore the charges/attacks/accusations and then present the truth. For me anyway sometimes the simple ways take longer to understand and put into practice.

Yes, Jim. Jesus was not personally offended. It was His Father's truth that He cared about. " but proceeded to show the spirit that actuated these sticklers for human rites. He gave them an example of what they were repeatedly doing, and had done just before coming in search of Him. "Full well ye reject the commandment of God," He said, "that ye may keep your own tradition. For Moses said, Honor thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death."
He did not let them believe a lie, but told them they were not teaching the truth, but man made traditions, wisdom not of God. And, then used the Word to tell them their end. There was no defense of anyone in His Words. It was the truth that the leaders of His people had perverted, and these traditions set aside the Word of God, leading multitudes to ruin and eternal death.

When Moses through down the ten commandments written by the hand of God, there was no self involved. It was God who was offended. It was righteous indignation that caused Moses to be angry with the people. But, when Moses struck the Rock, who was offended? We need not defend self, but the Truth that was made flesh and gave Himself for us while we were yet sinners.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2018, 08:19:00 PM »
May we realize that the only safe foundation upon which to stand when it concerns our belief and practice is that which we find in the word of God, that which we see in the life and character of Jesus, and that which the Holy Spirit is revealing as present truth in this time.

"The substitution of the precepts of men for the commandments of God has not ceased. Even among Christians are found institutions and usages that have no better foundation than the traditions of the fathers. Such institutions, resting upon mere human authority, have supplanted those of divine appointment. Men cling to their traditions, and revere their customs, and cherish hatred against those who seek to show them their error. In this day, when we are bidden to call attention to the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus, we see the same enmity as was manifested in the days of Christ. Of the remnant people of God it is written, 'The dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.' Revelation 12:17."  {The Desire of Ages, page 398, paragraph 3}

Amen, Pastor Sean! And God who is offended by such will not stand by and not do anything. In an effort to save sinners, He gives time for repentance, but He will not excuse sin neither will it go unpunished forever.

"But 'every plant, which My heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.' In place of the authority of the so-called fathers of the church, God bids us accept the word of the eternal Father, the Lord of heaven and earth. Here alone is truth unmixed with error. David said, 'I have more understanding than all my teachers: for Thy testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep Thy precepts.' Ps. 119:99, 100. Let all who accept human authority, the customs of the church, or the traditions of the fathers, take heed to the warning conveyed in the words of Christ, 'In vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.'"

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2018, 08:21:32 PM »
A short but powerful chapter that keeps us focused on what is really important to God and to our salvation.

".....God bids us accept the word of the eternal Father, the Lord of heaven and earth. Here alone is truth unmixed with error. David said, "I have more understanding than all my teachers: for Thy testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep Thy precepts." Ps. 119:99, 100. Let all who accept human authority, the customs of the church, or the traditions of the fathers, take heed to the warning conveyed in the words of Christ, "In vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men."

I'm so thankful for God's word that keeps me anchored in truth.

Amen, Sister Dorine!! And is this not the lesson for us today! "God bids us accept the word of the eternal Father, the Lord of heaven and earth. Here alone is truth unmixed with error." Here are they that keep the commandments of God and the Testimony of Jesus. What a blessing we enjoy every day in learning of our Great God!!

This morning, I came away with such a simple truth ringing in my ears. Over and over we share with a Laodicean people that there is an important question we must seek an answer for. I generally say it is "what must I do to be saved?" But, this monring it was presented slightly different.

Whenever the message of truth comes home to souls with special power, Satan stirs up his agents to start a dispute over some minor question. Thus he seeks to attract attention from the real issue. Whenever a good work is begun, there are cavilers ready to enter into dispute over forms or technicalities, to draw minds away from the living realities. When it appears that God is about to work in a special manner for His people, let them not be enticed into a controversy that will work only ruin of souls. The questions that most concern us are, Do I believe with saving faith on the Son of God? Is my life in harmony with the divine law? "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life." "And hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments." John 3:36; 1 John 2:3. 

It is not as helpful as "we must behold Jesus," but it does indeed counter the deceptions brought into the church that we are saved even when sinning a known sin. "Do I believe with saving faith on the Son of God? Is my life in harmony with the divine law?"  "Saving faith" and "keeping His commandments."

In order to have saving faith and to keep the commandments we must love the Lord thy God with all of the heart. We must Jesus intimately. How do we get to know Him intimately? By spending time with Him. There is no other way. We praise God for each who endeavors to do this.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2018, 04:25:13 AM »
There are many controversial points that Satan will seek to stir up, causing some to feel that they are being very zealous for God in defending them, but Jesus has something better for us than controversy and tradition. He desires us to sink the mine shaft of our earnest search for truth deep into His word, discerning more clearly His loveliness of character, so that we may be better able to help souls come to a saving knowledge of the truth as it is in Jesus. May we let go of the things that are not taught in Scripture to lay hold of the things that are clearly revealed, which are essential to our salvation. By beholding Christ, and through the implantation of truth, error can be uprooted, and we can be saved in God's appointed way. Praise God!

"Whenever the message of truth comes home to souls with special power, Satan stirs up his agents to start a dispute over some minor question. Thus he seeks to attract attention from the real issue. Whenever a good work is begun, there are cavilers ready to enter into dispute over forms or technicalities, to draw minds away from the living realities. When it appears that God is about to work in a special manner for His people, let them not be enticed into a controversy that will work only ruin of souls. The questions that most concern us are, Do I believe with saving faith on the Son of God? Is my life in harmony with the divine law? 'He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life.' 'And hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.' John 3:36; 1 John 2:3." {The Desire of Ages, page 396, paragraph 3}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2018, 08:49:07 AM »
We do not follow ceremonial laws (Feastkeepers do), but do we follow traditions in the church? Yes, we have an "Adventist" culture that will follow customs rather than following the commandments of God. The world has come into the church and we now see worldly customs being followed. Even when following a commandment,  many will hurt themselves and their children by continuing to use animal products which are very unclean today, but God forbid that they would eat a bite of pork and beans. They would even remove them from the potluck table when brought by a guest. Why? Because it is tradition in the church. It has little to do with the health of the one who will eat from the potluck table.

Today's reading distinguishes between the law of God and the traditions people follow. How does God look upon those who cherish their traditions, but break the law of God? How does God look upon church leaders who do not keep the commandments of God, but follow traditions?

The people were deceived by them. They were bearing heavy burdens which God had not imposed. Even the disciples of Christ were not wholly free from the yoke that had been bound upon them by inherited prejudice and rabbinical authority. Now, by revealing the true spirit of the rabbis, Jesus sought to free from the bondage of tradition all who were really desirous of serving God.
     "Ye hypocrites," He said, addressing the wily spies, "well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying, This people draweth nigh unto Me with their mouth, and honoreth Me with their lips; but their heart is far from Me. But in vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men." The words of Christ were an arraignment of the whole system of Pharisaism. He declared that by placing their requirements above the divine precepts the rabbis were setting themselves above God.
     The deputies from Jerusalem were filled with rage. They could not accuse Christ as a violator of the law given from Sinai, for He spoke as its defender against their traditions. The great precepts of the law, which He had presented, appeared in striking contrast to the petty rules that men had devised.
     To the multitude, and afterward more fully to His disciples, Jesus explained that defilement comes not from without, but from within. Purity and impurity pertain to the soul. It is the evil deed, the evil word, the evil thought, the transgression of the law of God, not the neglect of external, man-made ceremonies, that defiles a man.

The love of Jesus is the power to do good. But, if we have not His love residing in our heart, then we can do no good thing. This chapter today once again speaks of how God looks at those who do not have His love and what He is going to do if there is not repentance.

But "every plant, which My heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up." In place of the authority of the so-called fathers of the church, God bids us accept the word of the eternal Father, the Lord of heaven and earth. Here alone is truth unmixed with error. David said, "I have more understanding than all my teachers: for Thy testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep Thy precepts." Psalm 119:99, 100. Let all who accept human authority, the customs of the church, or the traditions of the fathers, take heed to the warning conveyed in the words of Christ, "In vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men." 

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2018, 10:25:06 AM »
I love how God puts His law in our hearts and minds and stems the tide of moral defilement where it begins--in the heart and mind. We need a total conversion through the power of the "divine nature" (2 Peter 1:4). When Jesus is lifted higher and higher, we see the exceeding sinfulness of sin and the utter inability in our own power to cleanse our lives from sin apart from divine aid. We also realize that Christ will not force His way into our lives. We are invited to "look and live."

"To the multitude, and afterward more fully to His disciples, Jesus explained that defilement comes not from without, but from within. Purity and impurity pertain to the soul. It is the evil deed, the evil word, the evil thought, the transgression of the law of God, not the neglect of external, man-made ceremonies, that defiles a man." {The Desire of Ages, page 397, paragraph 4}

As a week of Summer Camp (at Michigan's Camp Sagola in Crystal Falls, Michigan) just culminated, I am happy to have had the privilege to point young people (and those of other ages, too) to Jesus, as our theme song "I See Jesus" was an encapsulated reiteration of the counsel we are given in the following two paragraphs of The Desire of Ages:

"It would be well for us to spend a thoughtful hour each day in contemplation of the life of Christ. We should take it point by point, and let the imagination grasp each scene, especially the closing ones. As we thus dwell upon His great sacrifice for us, our confidence in Him will be more constant, our love will be quickened, and we shall be more deeply imbued with His spirit. If we would be saved at last, we must learn the lesson of penitence and humiliation at the foot of the cross." {The Desire of Ages, page 83, paragraph 4}

Regarding how much salvation really cost, it is nothing short of the life of God Himself, as Christ, who is God, would die for us on the tree and come through an experience the cost of which we will not fully realize until we stand before the throne of God. This is stated clearly here:

"Never can the cost of our redemption be realized until the redeemed shall stand with the Redeemer before the throne of God. Then as the glories of the eternal home burst upon our enraptured senses we shall remember that Jesus left all this for us, that He not only became an exile from the heavenly courts, but for us took the risk of failure and eternal loss. Then we shall cast our crowns at His feet, and raise the song, 'Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honor, and glory, and blessing.' Rev. 5:12." {The Desire of Ages, page 131, paragraph 2}

Here are the lyrics to the song we have been singing this week--may you be blessed!

"I See Jesus"
by Sean Brizendine and William Merrill, 2018

Verse 1
I see Jesus as a Child
Watching silent for a while
The lamb He’d one day be
I see Jesus sweating blood
Filled with pain and filled with love
For all humanity

Chorus
I offer up my life to you,
There’s nothing more that I can do, Jesus
Help me cherish every scene
That culminates at Calvary, My God

Verse 2
I see Jesus as a Man
On a tree with nail in hand
To set the captive free
I see Jesus in the clouds
With His angels coming down
To rescue you and me

(Repeat Chorus)

Verse 3

Some two thousand years ago
He set foot on earth below
To lift from sin’s regime
Fallen man to God above
At the throne, the cost of love
Unfolds the mystery
I see

Dorine

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2018, 11:21:38 AM »
""Ye hypocrites," He said, addressing the wily spies, "well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying, This people draweth nigh unto Me with their mouth, and honoreth Me with their lips; but their heart is far from Me. But in vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men." The words of Christ were an arraignment of the whole system of Pharisaism. He declared that by placing their requirements above the divine precepts the rabbis were setting themselves above God."

We are seeing this being fulfilled before our very eyes. We are witnessing horrendous issues that one time we would not even speak of. "As it was in the days of Noah" are now here and have infiltrated the church.  But what a blessed hope we have in Jesus. Family and friends may forsake us but He will  always be with us and take us through to the end. His church will be victorious. We must never take our eyes off Jesus.

Thank you for sharing that song Pastor Sean. Is the tune familiar? I'd like to hear it sung.

But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2018, 04:29:14 AM »
True faith--the faith of Jesus--is expressed in heartfelt obedience accompanied by the unmistakable witness of the Holy Spirit in the life of the converted soul manifest in all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing. Jesus offers us His presence over man-made traditions; He gives us His life--a life that is pure from within. Apart from Christ, there is no true uplifting from the ruin that sin has wrought. We need Jesus continually!

"The substitution of the precepts of men for the commandments of God has not ceased. Even among Christians are found institutions and usages that have no better foundation than the traditions of the fathers. Such institutions, resting upon mere human authority, have supplanted those of divine appointment. Men cling to their traditions, and revere their customs, and cherish hatred against those who seek to show them their error. In this day, when we are bidden to call attention to the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus, we see the same enmity as was manifested in the days of Christ. Of the remnant people of God it is written, 'The dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.' Revelation 12:17." {The Desire of Ages, page 398, paragraph 3} 

Dorine

« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2018, 09:34:33 AM »

Here we see our only safety. No matter what man is saying or writing we are to go to God's word for the truth.  David understood the importance of believing God's word and doing His will. It is a wall of protection for each of us. Instead of listening and being persuaded by every wind of doctrine, opinions and ideas that come from the mouths of men and women we are to be grounded in God's word knowing that here is pure and total truth. No chance of error.  By faith that's where I want to be and that's where I want to stay. Planted firmly in truth by God Himself.

Dorine

« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2019, 03:58:36 AM »

I spent some time this morning going back over the years of posts on this chapter. I came across a discussion on whether God destroys or not. It is very timely because this belief has been quietly circulating in our area and is becoming quite loud now.

It's a shock because it's being picked up and shared by some of the 'spiritual' leaders who I have had much respect for their understanding of bible truth. It's not heard from the pulpits (yet). But it is being heard discussed in coat rooms, entry ways, church yard, class rooms and even in some S.S. classes. As I read today's reading the above quote can certainly be applied to this current teaching.

We must hold tight to the bible and SOP and ever be in an attitude of prayer and humble surrender or we will be led astray putting our wisdom above God's. What a frightening thought.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2019, 05:00:40 AM »
Weeding. We need it. Whether it is from tradition, our own fallen nature, or the culture around us, anything that is not planted by our Heavenly Father in our characters needs to be rooted up and replaced with the living, heavenly plant of true love, implanted by the Holy Spirit as we behold the loveliness of Jesus! Let us cooperate with Him as He weeds us of all the ideas, habits, customs and practices that are not preparing us for heaven. We can ask, "Does this weigh me down? Does this help me heavenward?" If the answer is "No," then in the fear of God let us lay aside the sin and weight that so easily besets us and cleave to Jesus who alone can help us to walk with Him true righteousness--a righteousness manifest in the character whereby all of the fruits of the Spirit are seen in our lives, and not one is missing!

"But 'every plant, which My heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.' In place of the authority of the so-called fathers of the church, God bids us accept the word of the eternal Father, the Lord of heaven and earth. Here alone is truth unmixed with error. David said, 'I have more understanding than all my teachers: for Thy testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep Thy precepts.' Psalm 119:99, 100. Let all who accept human authority, the customs of the church, or the traditions of the fathers, take heed to the warning conveyed in the words of Christ, 'In vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.'" {The Desire of Ages, page 398, paragraph 4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2019, 08:42:59 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean. The Holy Spirit reveals sin in the life. He also reveals truth. Which do we want? Who do we want? Time is running out. The end is near. A separation is taking place before our eyes. The truth is the two edged sword which will separate the sheep from the goats. God leaves us with free will to follow the doctrines of man or the commandments He has given. If we do not love Jesus supremely, we are choosing the wrong direction. Let us turn from self to Christ. His ways are best. He is worthy to be loved and followed. "The questions that most concern us are, Do I believe with saving faith on the Son of God? Is my life in harmony with the divine law? "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life." "And hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments." John 3:36; 1 John 2:3.