Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--42--Tradition  (Read 23077 times)

Laurie Mosher

• There is a place of quiet rest
The Desire of Ages-----42-----Tradition
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2000, 05:54:00 AM »
  Thank You Dr.Dugald and Joan for your kind thoughts!
 I believe it is PAST time for God's people to stand up and be counted! I read that there are YET 7000 who refuse to bow the knee to Baal. Well, I believe that there are alot of people in TRO who qualify for this group.   And if there is ever a time for God's people to witness for Him, IT IS NOW!

God is looking for people who have "Intestinal Foritude" (backbone) who will stand for Him.
  "The greatest want of the world is the want of MEN (and Women)- who will NOT be bought or sold, who in their INMOST souls are TRUE AND HONEST, who DO NOT FEAR TO CALL SIN BY ITS RIGHT NAME, whose CONSCIENCE IS AS TRUE TO DUTY AS THE NEEDLE TO THE POLE (compass), WHO WILL STAND FOR THE RIGHT THOUGH THE HEAVENS FALL." Education,p.57

NOW is NOT the time for "waffling" or whining! Now is the time for God's TRUE CONVICTED people to WAKE UP.
Romans 13:11 "And that KNOWING THE TIME, that is is NOW HIGH TIME to AWAKE OUT OF SLEEP: For NOW is OUR SALVATION NEARER than when we believed."

In other words, "GET READY, get ready, Get Ready", UNITE TOGETHER.

The latter rain will fall ONLY on those who have received THE EARLY RAIN! May we be counted righteous (claiming Christ's righteousness...our righteousness is 'filthy rags'-Isa64:6)

May God help us to BOLDLY present His gospel, for any other is accursed . Galatians 1:8-9

------------------
Keep "the" faith,BUT pass it around!

Bro. Laurie

Keep "the" Faith,  Brother Laurie

Elder John Thurber

• Moderator at Rest
    • http://
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2000, 07:24:00 AM »
Thank you one and all for your threads on this subject. Richard knows I have been concerned about this subject for some time. I believe he has been led by the Spirit to handle this as God would have it done. It gives me strength to see the post that all of you have sent in. Kellee is a sincere person caught up in a theary that is popular to believe, and eases the fear of God's judgement. How many I have known have fallen in this trap. I want Kellee to know I love her and want her to be in the kingdom with me. Yet we must stand for truth, remember "The greatest want of the world is the want of men. men who will not be bought or sold.

Friend John

Liane H

• http://
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2000, 06:38:00 PM »
Hi John:

And Women, women who will not be bought or sold. Don't forget us.  

Liane

Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Laurie Mosher

• There is a place of quiet rest
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2000, 09:40:00 AM »
Hi Liane!
In the posting ABOVE John's , I mentioned "The greatest want of the world is the want of men (AND WOMEN)   :)

------------------
Keep "the" faith,BUT pass it around!

Bro. Laurie

Keep "the" Faith,  Brother Laurie

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2003, 11:28:00 AM »
Today, we are in great danger of looking to our traditions instead of the Lord. It is Satan's plan to pervert the Scriptures, and to lead men to put a false interpretation on the words of God.

We must have genuine faith. As yet we scarcely grasp the reality of the truth. We only half believe the Word of God. Even though the signs of the times are fulfilling all over the world, faith in the Lord's coming has not been clearly seen in the church. Clear, distinct, certain, we must give the warnings. At the peril of our souls we are to learn the prescribed conditions under which we are to work out our own salvation, remembering that it is God which worketh in us, both to will and to do of His good pleasure.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages-----42-----Tradition
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2016, 07:20:47 AM »
  In other words, our good works are the FRUIT of the Holy Spirit.

Amen!

As it was with Israel 2,000 years ago, so it is with us today. Most churches of today would find the following truth offensive:

"The questions that most concern us are, Do I believe with saving faith on the Son of God? Is my life in harmony with the divine law? "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life.' 'And hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.'" John 3:36; 1 John 2:3. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

colporteur

Re: The Desire of Ages--42--Tradition
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2016, 08:15:33 AM »
  In other words, our good works are the FRUIT of the Holy Spirit.

Amen!

As it was with Israel 2,000 years ago, so it is with us today. Most churches of today would find the following truth offensive:

"The questions that most concern us are, Do I believe with saving faith on the Son of God? Is my life in harmony with the divine law? "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life.' 'And hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.'" John 3:36; 1 John 2:3. 

Question :  Is the fruit optional ?    Many consider the fruit merely something to shoot for but not necessarily the reality.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2016, 09:39:09 AM »
Question :  Is the fruit optional ?    Many consider the fruit merely something to shoot for but not necessarily the reality.

The Bible does not say that the fruit are optional. It simply says that they will be there in converted Christian.

Galations 5:

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

In another place in The Desire of Ages she makes the comment that all the fruit will be there. None will be missing.

The life of the vine will be manifest in fragrant fruit on the branches. “He that abideth in Me,” said Jesus, “and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without Me ye can do nothing.” When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing. {DA 676.4}
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2016, 06:07:24 AM »
As I read this chapter anew this morning, I am again encouraged that Jesus invites us to look to Him, the Word of God, as the foundation, for His whole ministry uplifted God's law--yet it is only through a surrendered, converted, new-heart experience filled with all the fruits of the Spirit without one missing that it is possible to obey the law of God, for Christ will work His works in our lives through His Spirit whereby we cooperate with Him.

I loved how this paragraph brought out somewhat of an idea of gardening.

But "every plant, which My heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up." In place of the authority of the so-called fathers of the church, God bids us accept the word of the eternal Father, the Lord of heaven and earth. Here alone is truth unmixed with error. David said, "I have more understanding than all my teachers: for Thy testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep Thy precepts." Psalm 119:99, 100. Let all who accept human authority, the customs of the church, or the traditions of the fathers, take heed to the warning conveyed in the words of Christ, "In vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men." {DA 398.4}

I just recently planted my garden, and one thing that I realize has to be done nearly constantly is weeding, to make sure there is room for the plants of the garden to flourish. Because we have a fallen nature, we need to daily behold the loveliness of Jesus so that He can continue to mold and fashion our characters to be more like Him. Jesus is the only one who can help us to understand the truths of God's word, and we need the Holy Spirit at each step heavenward.

May we choose to let the Bible reveal the true gospel to us, rather than accept the traditions or customs of the world or those that are in the church that would confuse the gospel, or lead astray from Christ. I love Jesus and I love looking to how He lived the law in humanity! This is my story--and this is my song!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2016, 07:30:06 AM »
Amen!! It is the fruit of His Spirit. Pastor Sean, I am noticing something about Desire of Ages. We keep reading the same thing no matter which chapter we read!  Yes, each chapter brings forth more truth, but we keep seeing the loveliness of Jesus!  Why do so few wish to read this?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2016, 06:16:03 AM »
"Traditions".  Do we have traditions in our church? Yes, we do. Things that God has not said are made to be what we must do. But, Jesus encourages those who follow His commandments rather than the commands of men.

The substitution of the precepts of men for the commandments of God has not ceased. Even among Christians are found institutions and usages that have no better foundation than the traditions of the fathers. Such institutions, resting upon mere human authority, have supplanted those of divine appointment. Men cling to their traditions, and revere their customs, and cherish hatred against those who seek to show them their error. In this day, when we are bidden to call attention to the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus, we see the same enmity as was manifested in the days of Christ. Of the remnant people of God it is written, "The dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ." Revelation 12:17.
     But "every plant, which My heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up." In place of the authority of the so-called fathers of the church, God bids us accept the word of the eternal Father, the Lord of heaven and earth. Here alone is truth unmixed with error. David said, "I have more understanding than all my teachers: for Thy testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep Thy precepts." Psalm 119:99, 100. Let all who accept human authority, the customs of the church, or the traditions of the fathers, take heed to the warning conveyed in the words of Christ, "In vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men." 

Look around and notice that our institutions are not following the counsel given. Be encouraged, such institutions, resting upon mere human authority, that have supplanted those of divine appointment, will be "rooted up." What must we do? What is to be our great concern when we are faced with such apostasy?

The questions that most concern us are, Do I believe with saving faith on the Son of God? Is my life in harmony with the divine law? "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life." "And hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments." John 3:36; 1 John 2:3. 

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2016, 07:31:23 AM »
Richard, the last paragraph you quoted was one that also stood out to me in its entirety--as Satan is trying to get the focus off of the real questions that need to be asked to things that distract us from Jesus. By daily beholding Jesus and abiding in Him, we can be kept safe from this error.

Whenever the message of truth comes home to souls with special power, Satan stirs up his agents to start a dispute over some minor question. Thus he seeks to attract attention from the real issue. Whenever a good work is begun, there are cavilers ready to enter into dispute over forms or technicalities, to draw minds away from the living realities. When it appears that God is about to work in a special manner for His people, let them not be enticed into a controversy that will work only ruin of souls. The questions that most concern us are, Do I believe with saving faith on the Son of God? Is my life in harmony with the divine law? "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life." "And hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments." John 3:36; 1 John 2:3. 

Let us pray that Jesus will keep us from the snares of Satan's devising--including the traditions of men, not rooted in God's word.
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages-----42-----Tradition
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2016, 07:04:47 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean!  The most important question that we must ask and answer is "What must I do to be saved?"

"The questions that most concern us are, Do I believe with saving faith on the Son of God? Is my life in harmony with the divine law? 'He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life.' 'And hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.'" John 3:36; 1 John 2:3. 

"Tradition".  The Jews and the Roman Catholics prize their traditions above the Word of God. How is it with us, with the ones who have been entrusted with the Sacred Oracles of God? Sadly, we have in God's church an "Adventist" culture that prizes its traditions more than the sacred truths entrusted to us. Some pastors have even dropped the name "Seventh-day" from the the name of their churches. How revealing of their condition.

As I was contemplating today's reading, I thought to review what has been written in this thread. I was blessed to read what Elder John Thurber, past president of a conference, had written. He understands the need to be faithful, but he also expressed his love for one who had erred in her understanding. This is the Spirit of Christ. As we deal with such difficulties in the church, let us do so after we have removed the "beam" from our own eyes.

I want Kellee to know I love her and want her to be in the kingdom with me. Yet we must stand for truth, remember "The greatest want of the world is the want of men. men who will not be bought or sold.

Friend John

Amen, Friend John!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2016, 10:24:10 AM »
Amen, Richard! Was Jesus not being loving by rejecting the traditions of the Jews? No, He was revealing the love of the Father in clarity so that the key questions that concern the salvation of souls would not be lost sight of. While there are currently many ideas and traditions that may be professedly important, I am so thankful to see such unity here in our forum as we focus upon the loveliness of Jesus, and of our continual need of Him.

We have nothing good in us by nature. And we will do what is "natural" to us if we have not Christ keeping our fallen nature under His divine power moment-by-moment. Let us not deceive ourselves to think that any good thing can ever arise from within man by nature--no, it must arise from Christ indwelling the heart, who in conversion has given us a new heart and a new mind (the divine nature!). But the flesh--the old impulses of unregenerate humanity--will ever strive for mastery and must be kept under by divine grace (oh, how we need to continually behold the loveliness of Jesus in order to do any good thing, and cleave to Him!). I have been greatly blessed by sharing and reflecting upon how character is built, and we see an important truth as to where evil arises in the life--it is an internal problem:

To the multitude, and afterward more fully to His disciples, Jesus explained that defilement comes not from without, but from within. Purity and impurity pertain to the soul. It is the evil deed, the evil word, the evil thought, the transgression of the law of God, not the neglect of external, man-made ceremonies, that defiles a man.

When the soul surrenders itself to Christ, a new power takes possession of the heart that it made new, filled with all of the fruits of the Spirit so that not one is missing. If a full surrender is not made, it will be apparent that Christ does not have complete control of the human agent (as the works of the flesh will still control the soul), and that however high one's profession of piety, it is all a deception. The traditions and man-made forms that the Jews invented were ways for them to seek to avoid the conviction that their lives were internally impure, and that they needed a new moral birth. Many of these cavilers would reject the testimony of the Holy Spirit to their consciences, but some would later repent. Yet it is never safe to resist the pleading voice of the Holy Spirit. Oh, let us rejoice that we see Jesus in this chapter today pointing all to their great need of salvation full and free: continual and perpetual, a renewing connection with Him that keeps the fallen flesh under by divine grace. No traditions can ever take the place of our individual need to sit at the feet of Jesus, learn of Him, and be transformed into His lovely image day by day. Praise God that such an experience is still a reality for all who comply with the conditions of acceptance with God, and choose to look to Jesus and live.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2017, 06:59:00 AM »

Amen, Pastor Sean.  There are conditions to be met before the sinner will gain eternal life. We cannot earn it, but we must comply with the conditions set forth. We must love Jesus with all the heart, mind, soul, and strength.

As with all of the chapters in this beautiful book, we see the gospel truth proclaimed and error uncovered. As I was reading through past posts, I read what Pastor John Thurber posted 17 years ago. We miss him. In his years of ministry, which included being president of two conferences, he gained much experience in dealing with truth and error.

Thank you one and all for your threads on this subject. Richard knows I have been concerned about this subject for some time. I believe he has been led by the Spirit to handle this as God would have it done. It gives me strength to see the post that all of you have sent in. Kellee is a sincere person caught up in a theory that is popular to believe, and eases the fear of God's judgement. How many I have known have fallen in this trap. I want Kellee to know I love her and want her to be in the kingdom with me. Yet we must stand for truth, remember "The greatest want of the world is the want of men. men who will not be bought or sold.

Friend John

It would be good for our Bible scholars to read through the discussion we had with Sister Kellee and see what the error was she was arguing for.

Speaking of error in the church, my heart is strengthened every time I read the ending of this chapter. God will uproot those heresies which have come into His church. We need not fear the church being broken up into tiny atoms. She will see revival and reformation! Listen to the promise given by Jesus:

He answered, "Every plant, which My heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up." The customs and traditions so highly valued by the rabbis were of this world, not from heaven. However great their authority with the people, they could not endure the testing of God. Every human invention that has been substituted for the commandments of God will be found worthless in that day when "God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil." Ecclesiastes 12:14.
     The substitution of the precepts of men for the commandments of God has not ceased. Even among Christians are found institutions and usages that have no better foundation than the traditions of the fathers. Such institutions, resting upon mere human authority, have supplanted those of divine appointment. Men cling to their traditions, and revere their customs, and cherish hatred against those who seek to show them their error. In this day, when we are bidden to call attention to the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus, we see the same enmity as was manifested in the days of Christ. Of the remnant people of God it is written, "The dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ." Revelation 12:17.
     But "every plant, which My heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up." In place of the authority of the so-called fathers of the church, God bids us accept the word of the eternal Father, the Lord of heaven and earth. Here alone is truth unmixed with error. David said, "I have more understanding than all my teachers: for Thy testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep Thy precepts." Psalm 119:99, 100. Let all who accept human authority, the customs of the church, or the traditions of the fathers, take heed to the warning conveyed in the words of Christ, "In vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men."

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2017, 08:28:24 AM »
Amen, Richard. It is encouraging to see how you referred to a leader in the church being encouraged by the posts and discussion going on in our forum. As a pastor, I realize that there are so many winds of doctrine blowing. My prayerful desire is to point people to the foundation of our faith, the gospel of Jesus Christ, which is so clearly revealed in our consistent readings revealing the loveliness of His character here in the Desire of Ages and as we also go through the Sabbath School lesson in a way that seeks to make the gospel truth of our continual need of Jesus so clear.

I love how Jesus passes by all the "weeds" that the enemy has planted to help us realize what is essential for salvation--to focus upon the plant that He has planted--that goodly Vine, the Church, which is to be rooted and grounded in a revelation of His character. When others professing Christ in name deny Him in character, advocating traditions that have no place in the word of God, we can remember that it was so even in Christ's day. Even if you feel like you are the only one in your local church seeking to be faithful, be not discouraged! "At this time we must gather warmth from the coldness of others, courage from their cowardice, and loyalty from their treason." {5T 136.2} Jesus would not be dissuaded from His purpose to save men from their sins. We need not be dissuaded from our purpose to reveal His character, His truth, and to give the trumpet a certain sound.

Whenever the message of truth comes home to souls with special power, Satan stirs up his agents to start a dispute over some minor question. Thus he seeks to attract attention from the real issue. Whenever a good work is begun, there are cavilers ready to enter into dispute over forms or technicalities, to draw minds away from the living realities. When it appears that God is about to work in a special manner for His people, let them not be enticed into a controversy that will work only ruin of souls. The questions that most concern us are, Do I believe with saving faith on the Son of God? Is my life in harmony with the divine law? "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life." "And hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments." John 3:36; 1 John 2:3.

The experience of keeping God's commandments is only possible by the work of the Spirit in the life. "When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {DA 676.4} Then we can know that we truly do believe with saving faith upon the Son of God. There will be evidence--for the divine nature at work in the life will reveal itself in every motive, thought, word, look, and tone of the one who has Christ indwelling the heart by the Holy Spirit! This is the GREATEST MIRACLE! Such an experience makes all human tradition pale in comparison to the power of God's word at work in the life!

I remember an experience I had some time ago--when I was a new Seventh-day Adventist in 2007, I was still listening to a lot of worldly music and it was a real struggle in my thought life to think purely. Tradition would have it that as long as I was not doing it on Sabbath it was okay (and no, I would not listen to it on Sabbath, but I knew the minute Sabbath was over). There were students at this Seventh-day Adventist college around me who seemed to be doing the same thing (there is a danger when the church is in a Laodicean condition to let our piety be based on the level of others' experience, and not the truth of the Bible and the Spirit of Prophecy). I love the grace of God to transform us! He not only convicted me about the music, but gave me something better. When I was on a mission trip not long after becoming a Seventh-day Adventist, but still listening to the rock music, the Holy Spirit spoke over the song I was listening to and said, "You don't like this anymore." I chose to believe the Lord and deleted the secular music that was worth a small fortune to me, that was pulling me away from Jesus. The very next day God started to pour into my heart a melody for Psalm 103 (as a Scripture song) and then gave me many more. To date, I have lost count of how many songs God has given me from Scripture and now from the Spirit of Prophecy. When I have spare moments I enjoy meditating upon these heavenly truths in song, and it has been such a transforming influence in my character to the glory of God. This encourages me and I share it because there are many who are clinging to tradition (or an experience that its sinful) because that is all they know of--and it is something they depend upon for comfort, help, simply because that is the "standard" around them. But Jesus has SOMETHING BETTER always to put in its place! Let us keep our eyes fixed upon Jesus and His truth today! Praise the Lord!!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2017, 05:54:00 AM »
Amen!  It is interesting to think of listening to worldly music as being a church "tradition".   There is much in "Adventist" culture that is not of God, but is indeed traditions past down from generation to generation. Being a vegetarian is one such tradition. It is fine to feed leukemia to your child as long as it is not pork. We will reap what we sow.

"Ye hypocrites," He said, addressing the wily spies, "well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying, This people draweth nigh unto Me with their mouth, and honoreth Me with their lips; but their heart is far from Me. But in vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men." The words of Christ were an arraignment of the whole system of Pharisaism. He declared that by placing their requirements above the divine precepts the rabbis were setting themselves above God. 

This is strong language coming from One who came not to condemn, but to save. Many would find this language contrary to our religion, but here we see it is not. Paul uses strong language also. He tells us some are "accursed". What would cause Inspiration to be so bold?

Jesus explains:

He answered, "Every plant, which My heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up." The customs and traditions so highly valued by the rabbis were of this world, not from heaven. However great their authority with the people, they could not endure the testing of God. Every human invention that has been substituted for the commandments of God will be found worthless in that day when "God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil." Ecclesiastes 12:14.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2017, 06:21:35 AM »
Jesus came to set the truth free to His hearers:

Never, by word or deed, did Jesus lessen man's obligation to present gifts and offerings to God. It was Christ who gave all the directions of the law in regard to tithes and offerings. When on earth He commended the poor woman who gave her all to the temple treasury. But the apparent zeal for God on the part of the priests and rabbis was a pretense to cover their desire for self-aggrandizement. The people were deceived by them. They were bearing heavy burdens which God had not imposed. Even the disciples of Christ were not wholly free from the yoke that had been bound upon them by inherited prejudice and rabbinical authority. Now, by revealing the true spirit of the rabbis, Jesus sought to free from the bondage of tradition all who were really desirous of serving God. 

Do you desire to serve God? Look to Jesus, surrender all, and moment-by-moment He will teach you how to serve Him!

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2017, 10:52:26 AM »
Amen Richard and pastor Sean. Sometimes strong language is needed to address those who are deceived and think all is fine. I once heard a story of preacher who was going to preach at a prison and when one of his congregation heard this they asked him if he was going to preach hell and brimstone. He said of course not I'm gonna preach Christ's love for them.  However, if I were to preach hell and brimstone it would more than likely be to the members of the church who think all is well.

And Jesus indeed came to set us free from all that hinders our walk with Him and tradition can be a big stumbling block.

What I saw today was this...

I've seen this happen. Especially after a sobering message that was made so we'd examine ourselves. While people are leaving the service quiet and subdued and obvisously thinking someone will make a smart remark that takes away from the seriousness of what's happening.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2017, 04:14:10 AM »
Amen, Richard! We need Jesus in our hearts moment-by-moment, or we are going to misrepresent Him by our fallen flesh manifesting itself. There is no safety without Jesus abiding in us, and us choosing to remain vitally connected to God. We need Jesus to implant in us His character, and to uproot from us all that is unlike Him!

I was deeply encouraged by this thought today in reference to character building:

I was just thinking about this in a very personal sense. There may be traditions or customs that I have learned from my biological parents--and they may not have seemed problematic, but when I look unto Jesus who has adopted me into the heavenly family, I am SO SO THANKFUL that the only traits that He will allow to remain in my life are those that He has planted. The implanting of new principles takes time (by beholding we become changed), but at the moment of conversion the heart and mind are made pure because of the cleansing blood of Jesus and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit manifest in all of the fruits of the Spirit in the life without one missing. Yet we need to continue to grow. We will see more in our characters that needs to be uprooted as the Holy Spirit leads us on, step-by-step. That is the glorious work of character building which God sets before us--and it is Christ's character that is to be perfectly reproduced in humanity! Praise the Lord!!!