Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--41--The Crisis in Galilee  (Read 14045 times)

Philip T

Re: The Desire of Ages--41--The Crisis in Galilee
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2021, 08:59:59 AM »
     They had seen Christ by the witness of the Holy Spirit, by the revelation of God to their souls. The living evidences of His power had been before them day after day, yet they asked for still another sign. Had this been given, they would have remained as unbelieving as before. If they were not convinced by what they had seen and heard, it was useless to show them more marvelous works. Unbelief will ever find excuse for doubt, and will reason away the most positive proof.

Unbelief leads to doubt satin's counterfeit to faith, we need to read and study God's word, the bread of life, when we have doubt in our lives we make excuses for the things we are unwilling to sacrifice to Jesus, and will seek to justify keeping these cherished sins on our lives. Only by faith in Jesus can we overcome and be changed as we let Jesus into our hearts. 

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2021, 09:03:49 PM »
Amen Brother Philip! And that unbelief is deadly not only to them, but to those they influence. Is that not why God destroyed every living thing off the face of the Earth? He loves us and goes to great effort to protect us in so many ways. When Jesus told the disciples they ought to drink His blood and eat His flesh, He knew many would leave never more to return. Yet He went ahead and told them knowing it would drive them away. Why? Because He loved those who would stay.

When Jesus presented the testing truth that caused so many of His disciples to turn back, He knew what would be the result of His words; but He had a purpose of mercy to fulfill. He foresaw that in the hour of temptation every one of His beloved disciples would be severely tested. His agony in Gethsemane, His betrayal and crucifixion, would be to them a most trying ordeal. Had no previous test been given, many who were actuated by merely selfish motives would have been connected with them. When their Lord was condemned in the judgment hall; when the multitude who had hailed Him as their king hissed at Him and reviled Him; when the jeering crowd cried, "Crucify Him!"--when their worldly ambitions were disappointed, these self-seeking ones would, by renouncing their allegiance to Jesus, have brought upon the disciples a bitter, heart-burdening sorrow, in addition to their grief and disappointment in the ruin of their fondest hopes. In that hour of darkness, the example of those who turned from Him might have carried others with them. But Jesus brought about this crisis while by His personal presence He could still strengthen the faith of His true followers. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2021, 06:21:28 AM »
"The life of Christ that gives life to the world is in His word."

"It was by His word that Jesus healed disease and cast out demons; by His word He stilled the sea, and raised the dead; and the people bore witness that His word was with power. He spoke the word of God, as He had spoken through all the prophets and teachers of the Old Testament.

"The whole Bible is a manifestation of Christ, and the Saviour desired to fix the faith of His followers on the word. When His visible presence should be withdrawn, the word must be their source of power. "

"Like their Master, they were to live "by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." Matthew 4:4"

Is it any wonder then that we are encouraged to spend at least a "Thoughtful Hour" each day in His precious word. It reminds me once again that we can not give what we have not obtained. In our day and age we have, in most of the world, free access to the Bible and where this is true we have no excuse. So we must ask ourselves what are our priorities?? Are we hungering and thirsting for a deeper relationship with Jesus? Are we actively seeking to share with others the good news of salvation or is our focus on things that are temporary and will soon pass away? Someone once said the the word BIBLE means =Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth.and I think that's very true.

Look up and listen for the shout.

Dorine

« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2021, 07:16:47 AM »
"As our physical life is sustained by food, so our spiritual life is sustained by the word of God. And every soul is to receive life from God's word for himself. As we must eat for ourselves in order to receive nourishment, so we must receive the word for ourselves. We are not to obtain it merely through the medium of another's mind. We should carefully study the Bible, asking God for the aid of the Holy Spirit, that we may understand His word. We should take one verse, and concentrate the mind on the task of ascertaining the thought which God has put in that verse for us. We should dwell upon the thought until it becomes our own, and we know "what saith the Lord."

God has special blessings for those that take Him at His word and search for truth as for buried treasure. It may seem difficult at first but if we continue to prayerfully study, we will be captivated by what is stored there. A thirst for more will fill our hearts and we will anticipate with happy thoughts that special time set aside to spend with God in His word. The themes in the bible are exhaustless. No matter how many times we open it's pages we find deeper revelations of God's love and mercy to a lost world. Our hearts not only melt but our characters change and become more like Jesus because we are continually beholding him.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Philip T

« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2021, 07:30:31 AM »
 By looking constantly to Jesus with the eye of faith, we shall be strengthened. God will make the most precious revelations to His hungering, thirsting people. They will find that Christ is a personal Saviour. As they feed upon His word, they find that it is spirit and life. The word destroys the natural, earthly nature, and imparts a new life in Christ Jesus. The Holy Spirit comes to the soul as a Comforter. By the transforming agency of His grace, the image of God is reproduced in the disciple; he becomes a new creature. Love takes the place of hatred, and the heart receives the divine similitude. This is what it means to live "by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." This is eating the Bread that comes down from heaven.

What wonderful instruction is given in this paragraph as to the importance of placing Jesus first in our lives, we need to keep our eyes on Jesus at all times, or like Peter, walking on the sea, taking his eye of Jesus began to sink, so it is in our lives, but like Peter we can pray "save me", and focus and Jesus and he will just as he did Peter lift us from the sea of sin. If we spend time in God's work daily in faith, believing in Jesus words with faith. The Holy Spirit will help us grasp what we are reading. We need to take time to hear God's still small voice in our lives, we will find our lives transformed, characters perfected having not only read God's word, but digested it also. We will be ready when he comes in the clouds.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2021, 08:31:34 AM »
Amen brother Philip! Again and again as I read what is being posted my heart is thrilled to see hearts that have been transformed by God's grace. Don't be discouraged when you find that many don't understand the simple gospel truth. There are 7000 who have not bowed the knee to Baal. And, there are a multitude waiting to come in to God's Church.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2021, 08:07:07 PM »
"By the transforming agency of His grace, the image of God is reproduced in the disciple; he becomes a new creature."

"Love takes the place of hatred, and the heart receives the divine similitude."

"This is what it means to live 'by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.'This is eating the Bread that comes down from heaven."

Are we willing, today, to make a "FULL SURRENDER" to Jesus and become a beacon of hope for "Others ?"

May the words of this song express "Our Desire and Willingness to be a Lighthouse showing others the way.

All to Jesus I surrender,
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.
    I surrender all,
  I surrender all.
All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
    I surrender all.
Humbly at His feet I bow,
Worldly pleasures all forsaken;
Take me, Jesus, take me now.
Make me, Savior, wholly Thine;
Let me feel Thy Holy Spirit,
Truly know that Thou art mine.
Lord, I give myself to Thee;
Fill me with Thy love and power,
Let Thy blessing fall on me.
Now I feel the sacred flame.
Oh, the joy of full salvation!
Glory, glory to His name!

Lyrics:Judson W. Van de Venter (1855-1939)
Music:Winfield Scott Weeden (1847-1908)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2021, 09:02:38 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon!  It is by eating His flesh and drinking His blood that we are recreated in His image (character). See 2 Cor. 3:18. It is a Biblical truth that by beholding we become changed, transformed in character. All of the fruits of the Spirit are revealed in the life at true conversion, not one is missing.

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink His blood, ye have no life in you. Whoso eateth My flesh, and drinketh My blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. For My flesh is meat indeed, and My blood is drink indeed. He that eateth My flesh, and drinketh My blood, dwelleth in Me, and I in him."
     To eat the flesh and drink the blood of Christ is to receive Him as a personal Saviour, believing that He forgives our sins, and that we are complete in Him. It is by beholding His love, by dwelling upon it, by drinking it in, that we are to become partakers of His nature. What food is to the body, Christ must be to the soul. Food cannot benefit us unless we eat it, unless it becomes a part of our being. So Christ is of no value to us if we do not know Him as a personal Saviour. A theoretical knowledge will do us no good. We must feed upon Him, receive Him into the heart, so that His life becomes our life. His love, His grace, must be assimilated. 

For many, this is too much. To spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating the life of Christ (drinking His blood and eating His flesh) takes too much time away from the things of this world. But, God has made provision that many do not avail themselves of. The hours of sleep before midnight are more valuable. Thus, if we were to go to bed earlier, then we would be given more time to spend with Jesus. Try it if you have not already proved this truth.

And, there is no better way to eat His flesh than to read our favorite Book, Desire of Ages. Since you are reading this, you already have an interest in this Book. Please pray about sharing what the Holy Spirit is revealing to you that others might be blessed. If you are not registered, please contact us at administrator@remnant-online.com for access and posting permission.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2021, 04:03:27 AM »
Praise the Lord for His love that underlies all He does in our lives! Let us trust Jesus constantly!

"While we cannot now comprehend the works and ways of God, we can discern His great love, which underlies all His dealings with men. He who lives near to Jesus will understand much of the mystery of godliness. He will recognize the mercy that administers reproof, that tests the character, and brings to light the purpose of the heart." {The Desire of Ages, page 394, paragraph 1}

May you let all of the fruits of the Spirit be manifest in your life without one missing as you abide in the new heart experience offered in Christ!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2022, 08:09:18 PM »
"It is by beholding His love, by dwelling upon it, by drinking it in, that we are to become partakers of His nature."

"What food is to the body, Christ must be to the soul."

"Food cannot benefit us unless we eat it, unless it becomes a part of our being."

"So Christ is of no value to us if we do not know Him as a personal Saviour".

"A theoretical knowledge will do us no good."

"We must feed upon Him, receive Him into the heart, so that His life becomes our life. His love, His grace, must be assimilated."

This is why we are encouraged to spend at least one hour per day in Study & Prayer

Take time to be holy,
speak oft with thy Lord;
abide in him always,
and feed on his word.
Make friends of God’s children,
help those who are weak,
forgetting in nothing
his blessing to seek.

Take time to be holy,
the world rushes on;
spend much time in secret
with Jesus alone.
By looking to Jesus,
like him thou shalt be;
thy friends in thy conduct
his likeness shall see.

Take time to be holy,
let him be thy guide,
and run not before him,
whatever betide.
In joy or in sorrow,
still follow the Lord,
and, looking to Jesus,
still trust in his word.

Take time to be holy,
be calm in thy soul,
each thought and each motive
beneath his control.
Thus led by his spirit
to fountains of love,
thou soon shalt be fitted
for service above.

Words by W.D.Longstaff
Music by George C. Stebbins

HAPPY SABBATH TO ALL GOD'S CHILDREN EVERYWHERE.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2022, 03:46:57 AM »
Happy Sabbath!! Let us keep looking up to Jesus!! Then His grace converts us fully as we surrender the WHOLE heart to Him, cooperating with Him to obey Him out of love and allow Him to manifest through us all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing!

"By looking constantly to Jesus with the eye of faith, we shall be strengthened. God will make the most precious revelations to His hungering, thirsting people. They will find that Christ is a personal Saviour. As they feed upon His word, they find that it is spirit and life. The word destroys the natural, earthly nature, and imparts a new life in Christ Jesus. The Holy Spirit comes to the soul as a Comforter. By the transforming agency of His grace, the image of God is reproduced in the disciple; he becomes a new creature. Love takes the place of hatred, and the heart receives the divine similitude. This is what it means to live 'by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.' This is eating the Bread that comes down from heaven." {The Desire of Ages, page 391, paragraph 1}

As we walk with Jesus this day, let us keep our focus on what Christ is doing in the heavenly sanctuary and how He is preparing a people to stand in the sight of a holy God without a mediator, because He will have a people that reflect Him and have experienced His victory over sin! Hallelujah!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2022, 06:11:59 AM »
"Many of the words and acts of Jesus appear mysterious to finite minds, but every word and act had its definite purpose in the work for our redemption; each was calculated to produce its own result. If we were capable of understanding His purposes, all would appear important, complete, and in harmony with His mission.      
  While we cannot now comprehend the works and ways of God, we can discern His great love, which underlies all His dealings with men. He who lives near to Jesus will understand much of the mystery of godliness. He will recognize the mercy that administers reproof, that tests the character, and brings to light the purpose of the heart."

I'm very thankful for the mercies and longsuffering of Jesus but I am also very thankful for His reproofs. A loving God will never allow a person to continue in their wayward ways without bringing them to a place where they can see the motives of their own hearts. Whatever it takes I want my heart to be a place where the Holy Spirit desires to dwell so that my life will reveal the character of Christ and possess all the fruits of the Spirit.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2022, 08:40:10 AM »
"To eat the flesh and drink the blood of Christ is to receive Him as a personal Saviour, believing that He forgives our sins, and that we are complete in Him."

"It is by beholding His love, by dwelling upon it, by drinking it in, that we are to become partakers of His nature."

"What food is to the body, Christ must be to the soul."

"Food cannot benefit us unless we eat it, unless it becomes a part of our being."

"So Christ is of no value to us if we do not know Him as a personal Saviour. "

"A theoretical knowledge will do us no good."

"We must feed upon Him, receive Him into the heart, so that His life becomes our life."

"His love, His grace, must be assimilated."

We have no doubt heard it stated that.." We should spend at least a thoughtful hour each day reading our Bible! But....Are we doing that? If not - why not start today? 

=========================

O soul, are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There’s light for a look at the Savior,
And life more abundant and free.
    Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
  In the light of His glory and grace.
Through death into life everlasting
He passed, and we follow Him there;
O’er us sin no more hath dominion
For more than conqu’rors we are!
His Word shall not fail you, He promised;
Believe Him and all will be well;
Then go to a world that is dying,
His perfect salvation to tell!

Lyrics and Music :Helen Howarth Lemmel (1863-1961)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2022, 09:01:16 PM »
Amen Brother Beacon! Assimilated is the same as imparted. He imparts His righteousness to us and we assimilate it. Unless we assimilate His grace into the heart, it does us no good. 

The truth about "all things" working for our good if we love God supremely is revealed in today's reading.

While we cannot now comprehend the works and ways of God, we can discern His great love, which underlies all His dealings with men. He who lives near to Jesus will understand much of the mystery of godliness. He will recognize the mercy that administers reproof, that tests the character, and brings to light the purpose of the heart. 

Like when God destroyed every living thing on the Earth except what was in the ark, so it was when He wanted some of His disciples to leaven and not return. It was for the good of those who might be saved.

When Jesus presented the testing truth that caused so many of His disciples to turn back, He knew what would be the result of His words; but He had a purpose of mercy to fulfill. He foresaw that in the hour of temptation every one of His beloved disciples would be severely tested. His agony in Gethsemane, His betrayal and crucifixion, would be to them a most trying ordeal. Had no previous test been given, many who were actuated by merely selfish motives would have been connected with them. When their Lord was condemned in the judgment hall; when the multitude who had hailed Him as their king hissed at Him and reviled Him; when the jeering crowd cried, "Crucify Him!"--when their worldly ambitions were disappointed, these self-seeking ones would, by renouncing their allegiance to Jesus, have brought upon the disciples a bitter, heart-burdening sorrow, in addition to their grief and disappointment in the ruin of their fondest hopes. In that hour of darkness, the example of those who turned from Him might have carried others with them. But Jesus brought about this crisis while by His personal presence He could still strengthen the faith of His true followers. 

No matter what Jesus said or did, these false disciples were full of "unbelief." There is no greater sin than unbelief.

They had seen Christ by the witness of the Holy Spirit, by the revelation of God to their souls. The living evidences of His power had been before them day after day, yet they asked for still another sign. Had this been given, they would have remained as unbelieving as before. If they were not convinced by what they had seen and heard, it was useless to show them more marvelous works. Unbelief will ever find excuse for doubt, and will reason away the most positive proof.

Beacon

« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2022, 08:29:31 PM »
"By looking constantly to Jesus with the eye of faith, we shall be strengthened."

"God will make the most precious revelations to His hungering, thirsting people."

"They will find that Christ is a personal Saviour."

"As they feed upon His word, they find that it is spirit and life."

"The word destroys the natural, earthly nature, and imparts a new life in Christ Jesus. "

"The Holy Spirit comes to the soul as a Comforter."

"By the transforming agency of His grace, the image of God is reproduced in the disciple."

"He becomes a new creature."

"Love takes the place of hatred, and the heart receives the divine similitude."

"This is what it means to live 'by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."

Please Lord " Transform "US" anew with that Power from On High so "WE" may Glorify "YOU"

===============================

Not I, but Christ be honored, loved, exalted,
Not I, but Christ be seen, be known and heard;
Not I, but Christ in every look and action,
Not I, but Christ in every thought and word.
    Oh, to be saved from myself, dear Lord,
  Oh, to be lost in Thee,
Oh, that it may be no more I,
    But Christ that lives in me.
Not I, but Christ to gently soothe in sorrow,
Not I, but Christ to wipe the falling tear;
Not I, but Christ to lift the weary burden,
Not I, but Christ to hush away all fear.
Christ, only Christ, no idle word e’er falling,
Christ, only Christ, no needless bustling sound;
Christ, only Christ, no self-important bearing,
Christ, only Christ, no trace of I be found.
Not I, but Christ my every need supplying,
Not I, but Christ my strength and health to be;
Christ, only Christ, for spirit, soul, and body,
Christ, only Christ, live then Thy life in me.
Christ, only Christ, ere long will fill my vision,
Glory excelling soon, full soon I’ll see;
Christ, only Christ, my every wish fulfilling,
Christ, only Christ, my all in all to be.

Lyrics:Mrs. Ada A. Whiddington (1891)
Music:Albert Benjamin Simpson (1843-1919)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2022, 08:09:32 AM »
How did Jesus come in "the likeness of sinful flesh" (Romans 8:3) and never sin? He could only remain untainted by the word, for He, the living Word of God, laid aside His glory He had in heaven and came into this world, conceived by the Holy Spirit, and by faith in the written word of God overcame, offering us a perfect character in place of our fallen character. As our first parents' disobedience to God's word has caused us to inherit a fallen nature, we have sinful hearts that must be converted by grace through faith if we are to be saved, and Jesus offers us by His word a new heart (Ezekiel 36:26). Jesus came into this world with His overflowing heart of infinite love and resisted every temptation that Satan could try on Him, and since Jesus overcame by the word as He is the Word made flesh, if we are in union and communion with Him in His word in affectionate obedience to Christ the word, then the same divine nature will be manifest in us with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing. This is such a miracle, but it is exactly what God offers ALL OF US! Let us yield to Him and cooperate with Christ at every step heavenward! We have hope in Christ to overcome! He took our fallen nature to Calvary and died, defeating sin in the flesh because He never yielded to the sin of unbelief in the word of God that leads to disobedience. Let us look to Christ and walk in this "Christ in you the hope of glory" that is really the word in you, the hope of glory!

"By looking constantly to Jesus with the eye of faith, we shall be strengthened. God will make the most precious revelations to His hungering, thirsting people. They will find that Christ is a personal Saviour. As they feed upon His word, they find that it is spirit and life. The word destroys the natural, earthly nature, and imparts a new life in Christ Jesus." {The Desire of Ages, page 391, paragraph 1}

When we have the life of the word in us, we have the victory we need! Rejoice in the word--Christ, the Lord--always!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #96 on: August 05, 2022, 09:03:52 AM »
Amen my dear brothers!!  We see the union of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit clearly in today's reading. In different quotes we share the same truth, it is the Holy Spirit that opens our minds to Truth. They Word is Truth. The Word was made flesh. If we have seen Jesus, we have seen the Father. It is the Holy Spirit that indwells the saints. He is the Representative of Christ. And when we have the Spirit dwelling in our hearts because we love the Lord our God with the whole heart, He brings with Him all of the fruits of the Spirit, not one is missing. Thus, we are partakers of God's divine nature.

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on Me hath everlasting life." Through the beloved John, who listened to these words, the Holy Spirit declared to the churches, "This is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He that hath the Son hath life." 1 John 5:11, 12. And Jesus said, "I will raise him up at the last day." Christ became one flesh with us, in order that we might become one spirit with Him. It is by virtue of this union that we are to come forth from the grave,--not merely as a manifestation of the power of Christ, but because, through faith, His life has become ours. Those who see Christ in His true character, and receive Him into the heart, have everlasting life. It is through the Spirit that Christ dwells in us; and the Spirit of God, received into the heart by faith, is the beginning of the life eternal.

It is in the Word that we see the true character of our Savior. Thus, it would be well to spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating the life of Christ. By beholding His glory (His character) we are changed into the same image (character) by the Spirit. See 2 Cor. 3:18.  The Bible and nature reveal the character of God. The Bible more pointedly. And if we love God or want to love Him with the whole heart, God has given to us a most beautiful revelation of His character in the Book The Desire of Ages. All will be greatly blessed if they take time to study it. We give testimony that it draws us closer and closer to our Lord as we daily study His life.