Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--42--Tradition  (Read 23079 times)

Philip T

Re: The Desire of Ages--42--Tradition
« Reply #120 on: November 01, 2022, 08:09:33 AM »
  He answered, "Every plant, which My heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up." The customs and traditions so highly valued by the rabbis were of this world, not from heaven. However great their authority with the people, they could not endure the testing of God. Every human invention that has been substituted for the commandments of God will be found worthless in that day when "God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil." Ecclesiastes 12:14.

When we open our hearts to God is full surrender, He will pull out every tare in our hearts as He transforms us. The secret sins, the unrepentant know sins will all block us from eternal life with God at the 2nd advent. We need to study the Word of God under the influence of the Holy Spirit, pray for the Holy Spirits before opening the Bible. Will we allow God to pluck out every sin in our lives?

Beacon

« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2023, 08:14:59 PM »
"When it appears that God is about to work in a special manner for His people, let them not be enticed into a controversy that will work only ruin of souls."

"The questions that most concern us are, Do I believe with saving faith on the Son of God? "

"Is my life in harmony with the divine law? "

'He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life.' 'And hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.' John 3:36; 1 John 2:3."

I would like to encourage everyone reading this post to ask yourself the above questions. 1. Do I believe with saving faith on the Son of God?  2. Is my life in harmony with the Divine Law of God? "

=============================
When we walk with the Lord
  In the light of His Word,
What a glory He sheds on our way;
  While we do His good will,
  He abides with us still,
And with all who will trust and obey.
    Trust and obey,
For there’s no other way
To be happy in Jesus,
  But to trust and obey.
Not a shadow can rise,
  Not a cloud in the skies,
But His smile quickly drives it away;
  Not a doubt or a fear,
  Not a sigh or a tear,
Can abide while we trust and obey.
Not a burden we bear,
  Not a sorrow we share,
But our toil He doth richly repay;
  Not a grief or a loss,
  Not a frown or a cross,
But is blest if we trust and obey.
But we never can prove
  The delights of His love,
Until all on the altar we lay;
  For the favor He shows,
  And the joy He bestows,
Are for them who will trust and obey.
Then in fellowship sweet
  We will sit at His feet,
Or we’ll walk by His side in the way;
  What He says we will do;
  Where He sends, we will go,
Never fear, only trust and obey.

Lyrics:John Henry Sammis (1846-1919)
Music:Daniel Brink Towner (1850-1919)

Personal Note....Tomorrow I will be having cataract eye surgery and would appreciate your prayers on my behalf. If I'm unable to post you will know why. Thank You.

Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #122 on: January 27, 2023, 07:36:34 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! Praying for your healing with your upcoming surgery!!

Keeping the main focus of the everlasting gospel does not mean neglecting essential points of present truth relating to the high priestly ministry of Christ in the most holy place of the sanctuary, the non-immortality of the soul, the seventh day Sabbath, the soon second coming of Jesus as our King upon completion of His work of judgment, or any other Bible doctrine. But as we see Jesus by faith ministering for us in heaven above to prepare a place for us while He is guiding us by the Holy Spirit to prepare our characters for heaven, it is so essential that we do not get distracted by side issues that are not important. Satan often uses distraction to keep souls away from experiencing the power of the gospel whereby a sinner who yields fully to Christ is made a saint to partake of all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing, empowered to obey the law of God up the light revealed!

"Whenever the message of truth comes home to souls with special power, Satan stirs up his agents to start a dispute over some minor question. Thus he seeks to attract attention from the real issue. Whenever a good work is begun, there are cavilers ready to enter into dispute over forms or technicalities, to draw minds away from the living realities. When it appears that God is about to work in a special manner for His people, let them not be enticed into a controversy that will work only ruin of souls. The questions that most concern us are, Do I believe with saving faith on the Son of God? Is my life in harmony with the divine law? 'He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life.' 'And hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.' John 3:36; 1 John 2:3." {The Desire of Ages, page 396, paragraph 3} 

As we learn the enemy's tactics, we can go right to Jesus and His word for a sure foundation of truth and experience that is in harmony with HIs will. Whatever temptations you are facing, come to Christ and let His word abide in you so you can reveal the power and simplicity of the gospel! "And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 18:3). Let's experience this true conversion each day by walking in the truth as it is in Jesus!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #123 on: January 27, 2023, 08:27:45 AM »
Amen pastor Sean and brother Beacon! Again and again we read that we have an answer for the question what must I do to be saved? Is my life in harmony with the word of God? Do I love God with all my heart and all my soul?

Brother Beacon, we will all be praying for your surgery. May God's grace and wisdom be given to your surgeon and those caring for you. The wisdom and skill given to doctors to do this surgery comes from God. It is indeed a miracle that we can see again.

The substitution of the precepts of men for the commandments of God has not ceased. Even among Christians are found institutions and usages that have no better foundation than the traditions of the fathers. Such institutions, resting upon mere human authority, have supplanted those of divine appointment. Men cling to their traditions, and revere their customs, and cherish hatred against those who seek to show them their error. In this day, when we are bidden to call attention to the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus, we see the same enmity as was manifested in the days of Christ. Of the remnant people of God it is written, "The dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ." Revelation 12:17.
     But "every plant, which My heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up." In place of the authority of the so-called fathers of the church, God bids us accept the word of the eternal Father, the Lord of heaven and earth. Here alone is truth unmixed with error. David said, "I have more understanding than all my teachers: for Thy testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep Thy precepts." Psalm 119:99, 100. Let all who accept human authority, the customs of the church, or the traditions of the fathers, take heed to the warning conveyed in the words of Christ, "In vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men." 

How important in our day that we understand what is being said here in today's reading. It is present truth. And, we have again evidence that God is going to bring about revival and reformation in His church. Satan will fail to bring down His and our church. Those who are teaching false gospels will either heed to His warning or will be separated from His church.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #124 on: April 22, 2023, 10:05:10 PM »
"In this day, when we are bidden to call attention to the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus, we see the same enmity as was manifested in the days of Christ."[/color

"Of the remnant people of God it is written, "The dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ." Revelation 12:17."

"But "every plant, which My heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up."

"In place of the authority of the so-called fathers of the church, God bids us accept the word of the eternal Father, the Lord of heaven and earth.

"Here alone is truth unmixed with error."

"David said, "I have more understanding than all my teachers: for Thy testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep Thy precepts." Psalm 119:99, 100."

[b]"Let all who accept human authority, the customs of the church, or the traditions of the fathers, take heed to the warning conveyed in the words of Christ,"[/b]
[/font][/size][/color]

"In vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men."

==========================
I love to tell the story
  Of unseen things above,
Of Jesus and His glory,
  Of Jesus and His love.
I love to tell the story,
  Because I know ’tis true;
It satisfies my longings
  As nothing else can do.
’Twill be my theme in glory
To tell the old, old story
  of Jesus and His love.
I love to tell the story;
  More wonderful it seems
Than all the golden fancies
  Of all my golden dreams,
  It did so much for me;
And that is just the reason
  I tell it now to thee.
  ’Tis pleasant to repeat
What seems each time I tell it,
  More wonderfully sweet.
  For some have never heard
The message of salvation
  From God’s own holy Word.
  For those who know it best
Seem hungering and thirsting
  To hear it like the rest.
And when, in scenes of glory,
  I sing the new, new song,
’Twill be the old, old story,
  That I have loved so long.

Lyrics:Katherine Hankey (1834-1911)

Music:William Gustavus Fischer (1835-1912)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #125 on: April 23, 2023, 05:02:31 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!!

What are you planting? Not just in a literal sense, but by your words and example. We can learn from the experience Jesus had with the religious leaders in regard to tradition that any tradition which is planted, taught and cherished as supplanting or superseding the word of God will ultimately be uprooted. Let us look to Jesus, His word and His perfect example to find what it would be well for us to plant in our character building so we can be ready for heaven, where only what God has planted will endure! Every tradition contradicting God's word is like a weed in the way of the precious plant of heavenly love and truth!

"But 'every plant, which My heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.' In place of the authority of the so-called fathers of the church, God bids us accept the word of the eternal Father, the Lord of heaven and earth. Here alone is truth unmixed with error. David said, 'I have more understanding than all my teachers: for Thy testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep Thy precepts.' Psalm 119:99, 100. Let all who accept human authority, the customs of the church, or the traditions of the fathers, take heed to the warning conveyed in the words of Christ, 'In vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.'" {The Desire of Ages, page 398, paragraph 4}

As we surrender fully to Jesus, all of the fruits of the Spirit will be manifest in our lives as we apply His word to our characters and live in harmony with His law of love up to the light He has shown us! Let us keep looking unto Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith and let the traditions of this world pass away from our experience because we have found a better "seed packet" to draw from--the Bible!! With 31,102 verses, there are plenty of promises and precepts to fill the garden of our hearts with what is true and good!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #126 on: April 23, 2023, 07:50:19 PM »
Amen my dearest brothers!!  Over and over Jesus had to contend for the faith. What does it mean to not enter into a controversy? Here is what it does not mean:

Whenever the message of truth comes home to souls with special power, Satan stirs up his agents to start a dispute over some minor question. Thus he seeks to attract attention from the real issue. Whenever a good work is begun, there are cavilers ready to enter into dispute over forms or technicalities, to draw minds away from the living realities. When it appears that God is about to work in a special manner for His people, let them not be enticed into a controversy that will work only ruin of souls. The questions that most concern us are, Do I believe with saving faith on the Son of God? Is my life in harmony with the divine law? "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life." "And hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments." John 3:36; 1 John 2:3. 

Jesus did not enter a controversy when it comes to presenting truth in regards to salvation. When Satan has perverted the gospel message, shall we stand by and not present the message of truth? What is the message that most concern us? The commandments of God and the faith of Jesus. Why? Because a great multitude of professing Christians believe they are saved when they are not. Just believe is the mantra. The devils believe and tremble. Then we need to understand if we do indeed believe with saving faith. "Is my life in harmony with the divine law?"  "Do I believe with all of my heart?" Or do I have "unbelief? There is no greater sin than unbelief. 

Jesus does not want the deceived to remain so without being warned. As  Pastor Sean has pointed out we we may repeat "the warning conveyed in the words of Christ, 'In vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.'" 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #127 on: July 19, 2023, 04:39:34 AM »
"Men cling to their traditions, and revere their customs, and cherish hatred against those who seek to show them their error."

"In this day, when we are bidden to call attention to the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus, we see the same enmity as was manifested in the days of Christ. Of the remnant people of God it is written,"

"The dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ." Revelation 12:17.

"But "every plant, which My heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up."

"In place of the authority of the so-called fathers of the church, God bids us accept the word of the eternal Father, the Lord of heaven and earth."

"Here alone is truth unmixed with error."

"David said, "I have more understanding than all my teachers: for Thy testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep Thy precepts." Psalm 119:99, 100."

"Let all who accept human authority, the customs of the church, or the traditions of the fathers, take heed to the warning conveyed in the words of Christ"

Are "WE" willing to accept and live by the Sure Word of God?

=====================================

I’ll sing of the wonderful promise
That Jesus has given to me;
“My strength is made perfect in weakness,
My grace is sufficient for thee.”
And lest my poor heart should forget it,
Or ever forgetful should be,
He still keeps repeating the promise,
My grace is sufficient for thee.
    Yes, over and over and over,
My Savior keeps saying to me;
My strength is made perfect in weakness,
His grace is sufficient to save me,
And cleanse me from guilt and from sin;
Sufficient to sanctify wholly,
And give me His Spirit within.
His grace is sufficient for trials,
No matter how hard they may be,
This promise stands over against them,
His grace is sufficient for sickness,
Sustaining and making me whole;
His grace is sufficient when sorrows
Like billows roll over the soul.
His grace is sufficient for service,
It sets us from selfishness free,
And sends us to tell to the tried ones,
His grace is sufficient for thee.
His grace is sufficient to live by,
And should we be summoned to die
’Twill light up the valley of shadows,
And bear us away to Him nigh.
Or when we shall stand in His vict’ry,
And Christ in His glory shall see,
We’ll fall at His footstool confessing,
Thy grace was sufficient for me.
It is not our grace that’s sufficient,
But His grace, it ever must be:
Our graces are transient and changing;
His grace is unfailing as He.
And so I am ever repeating
His wonderful promise to me,
My strength is made perfect in weakness,

Lyrics:Albert Benjamin Simpson (1843-1919)
Music:Albert Benjamin Simpson (1843-1919)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #128 on: July 19, 2023, 05:00:33 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon! "Here alone is truth unmixed with error." This is what we want. What is the end result of studying inspired counsel rather than the wisdom of man? David tells us. Why not walk in that light!

"Ye hypocrites," He said, addressing the wily spies, "well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying, This people draweth nigh unto Me with their mouth, and honoreth Me with their lips; but their heart is far from Me. But in vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men." The words of Christ were an arraignment of the whole system of Pharisaism. He declared that by placing their requirements above the divine precepts the rabbis were setting themselves above God. 

How often are we rebuked by those who teach it is wrong to address those who are hypocrites in the church. We know that to do so will seldom change one's mind because of reproof, but here we find Jesus calling hypocrites hypocrites. One of their favorite rebukes is to say that "no one knows all of the truth."  I don't know anyone who thinks they know all of the truth, even the hypocrites know they do not know all of the truth. How do the hypocrites feel about David saying "I have more understanding than all my teachers: for Thy testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep Thy precepts." David did not think he knew all of the truth. He spoke a truth that was a rebuke to those who kept the traditions of man and kept not the law of God.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #129 on: July 20, 2023, 11:09:54 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Brother Richard!! Jesus can cure hypocrisy!! A full-heart surrender is needed continually up to the light He has revealed!!!

Distracted driving is a real problem, especially in a spiritual sense. When traveling the path of life with Jesus, if the focus is on distracting traditions that get in the way of simple, heartfelt obedience to God's law because one loves and trusts Him, then it is time to let the distractions go! All of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be revealed in the life that is abiding in Jesus without any sin distracting the life from constant union and communion with Him!

"Whenever the message of truth comes home to souls with special power, Satan stirs up his agents to start a dispute over some minor question. Thus he seeks to attract attention from the real issue. Whenever a good work is begun, there are cavilers ready to enter into dispute over forms or technicalities, to draw minds away from the living realities. When it appears that God is about to work in a special manner for His people, let them not be enticed into a controversy that will work only ruin of souls. The questions that most concern us are, Do I believe with saving faith on the Son of God? Is my life in harmony with the divine law? 'He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life.' 'And hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.' John 3:36; 1 John 2:3." {The Desire of Ages, page 396, paragraph 3} 

Obedience is an act of faith. Only by Christ can we truly obey and enjoy the experience. Then we are willing to lay aside the things that so easily hinder us and accept the word of God as the only rule of faith as to what pleases Him!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #130 on: October 14, 2023, 04:13:45 AM »
Happy Sabbath! Jesus loves us so much, and He desires us to serve Him out of love as we come to better understand that all He has called us to do in His word is for our best good and the furthering of the kingdom of God! May we still be true to principle even if others around us are struggling or have not yet been converted. Christ is a perfect Example of faithfulness in every situation, and as our Savior He enables us to walk even as He walked.

"Never, by word or deed, did Jesus lessen man's obligation to present gifts and offerings to God. It was Christ who gave all the directions of the law in regard to tithes and offerings. When on earth He commended the poor woman who gave her all to the temple treasury. But the apparent zeal for God on the part of the priests and rabbis was a pretense to cover their desire for self-aggrandizement. The people were deceived by them. They were bearing heavy burdens which God had not imposed. Even the disciples of Christ were not wholly free from the yoke that had been bound upon them by inherited prejudice and rabbinical authority. Now, by revealing the true spirit of the rabbis, Jesus sought to free from the bondage of tradition all who were really desirous of serving God." {The Desire of Ages, page 397, paragraph 1}

When we really desire to serve God, Jesus makes the way clear through His word as to how we can do that. We can come to Him in simple faith, believe that He forgives our sins as we truly repent and choose to trust His divine grace to make us new creatures with new hearts manifesting all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing! Then true obedience to all of the light of God's law becomes our delight!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #131 on: October 14, 2023, 07:51:17 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean!  Controversy seems to present a problem in our day also. Here we find that Jesus did not consider it controversy to reveal to the false teachers what they were doing. At the same time, we read that we ought not bring up matters of little concern, which would create controversy. It seems to be important to understand the difference because there are some who will attack us when they see their teaching and life are not in harmony with Scripture. He revealed this to them and thus was attacked, they hated him because He did this. Jesus was attempting to break the influence they had over the people.

Whenever the message of truth comes home to souls with special power, Satan stirs up his agents to start a dispute over some minor question. Thus he seeks to attract attention from the real issue. Whenever a good work is begun, there are cavilers ready to enter into dispute over forms or technicalities, to draw minds away from the living realities. When it appears that God is about to work in a special manner for His people, let them not be enticed into a controversy that will work only ruin of souls. The questions that most concern us are, Do I believe with saving faith on the Son of God? Is my life in harmony with the divine law? “He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life.” “And hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.” John 3:36; 1 John 2:3.

Jesus made no attempt to defend Himself or His disciples. He made no reference to the charges against Him, but proceeded to show the spirit that actuated these sticklers for human rites. He gave them an example of what they were repeatedly doing, and had done just before coming in search of Him. “Full well ye reject the commandment of God,” He said, “that ye may keep your own tradition.

Let us pray knowing that among us are Sauls who can be converted. Have a blessed Sabbath, dear friends.

Beacon

« Reply #132 on: October 14, 2023, 08:16:41 AM »
"Whenever the message of truth comes home to souls with special power, Satan stirs up his agents to start a dispute over some minor question."

"Thus he seeks to attract attention from the real issue."

"Whenever a good work is begun, there are cavilers ready to enter into dispute over forms or technicalities, to draw minds away from the living realities."

"When it appears that God is about to work in a special manner for His people, let them not be enticed into a controversy that will work only ruin of souls."

"The questions that most concern us are, Do I believe with saving faith on the Son of God?"

"Is my life in harmony with the divine law?"

"He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life." "And hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments." John 3:36; 1 John 2:3."

Oh how many times I have sadly witnessed this type of attack by the enemy of our souls !! Let us renew "our" commitment with Jesus that "We" might not be working on behalf of Satan. When we pray Satan flees from our presence and when we pray for others that are in the valley of decision then Jesus has permission to give that soul extra protection and courage to that person to take their stand for the Truth of God's Word.

========================

Encamped along the hills of light,
  Ye Christian soldiers rise,
And press the battle ere the night
  Shall veil the glowing skies;
Against the foe in vales below
  Let all our strength be hurled;
Faith is the victory, we know,
  That overcomes the world.
    Faith is the victory!
Faith is the victory!
O glorious victory,
  That overcomes the world.
His banner over us is love,
  Our sword the Word of God;
We tread the road the saints before
  With shouts of triumph trod.
By faith, they like a whirlwind’s breath,
  Swept on o’er every field;
The faith by which they conquered death
  Is still our shining shield.
On every hand the foe we find
  Drawn up in dread array;
Let tents of ease be left behind,
  And onward to the fray.
Salvation’s helmet on each head,
  With truth all girt about,
The earth shall tremble ’neath our tread,
  And echo with our shout.
To him that overcomes the foe,
  White raiment shall be giv’n;
Before the angels he shall know
  His name confessed in heav’n;
Then onward from the hills of light,
  Our hearts with love aflame,
We’ll vanquish all the hosts of night,
  In Jesus’ conqu’ring name.

Lyrics:John Henry Yates (1837-1900)
Music:Ira David Sankey (1840-1908)

Beacon

« Reply #133 on: January 08, 2024, 08:01:49 PM »
"Men cling to their traditions, and revere their customs, and cherish hatred against those who seek to show them their error."

"In this day, when we are bidden to call attention to the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus, we see the same enmity as was manifested in the days of Christ."

"Of the remnant people of God it is written, "The dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ." Revelation 12:17."

" But, every plant, which My heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up

"In place of the authority of the so-called fathers of the church, God bids us accept the word of the eternal Father, the Lord of heaven and earth. Here alone is truth unmixed with error. David said, "I have more understanding than all my teachers: for Thy testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep Thy precepts." Psalm 119:99, 100."

"Let all who accept human authority, the customs of the church, or the traditions of the fathers, take heed to the warning conveyed in the words of Christ, "In vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men."

=========================
Take my life, and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise.
Take my hands, and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love;
Take my feet and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee.
Take my voice, and let me sing
Always, only, for my King;
Take my lips, and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee,

Take my silver and my gold;
Not a mite would I withhold;
Take my intellect, and use
Every power as Thou shalt choose,
Take my will, and make it Thine;
It shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart; it is Thine own.
Take my love; my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure-store.
Take myself, and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee.

Lyrics:Frances Ridley Havergal (1836-1879)
Music:Henri Abraham Cesar Malan (1787-1864)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #134 on: January 09, 2024, 03:23:56 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

Christ, the Word (see John 1:1-3), never lessened the importance of the word of God in His life or teachings. He knew that traditions had been put in place of God's word that caused confusion and perplexity to those who really had a desire to serve God, and so He lived and taught in such a way that the word was presented as of unquestionable authority. Thankfully, we can come to God's word in full surrender with a willing heart and let the Holy Spirit fill us with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing. As we apply the word of God to our souls in the experience of true conversion, we are empowered to obey God up to the light we have received. Take God at His word, just as it reads.

"Never, by word or deed, did Jesus lessen man's obligation to present gifts and offerings to God. It was Christ who gave all the directions of the law in regard to tithes and offerings. When on earth He commended the poor woman who gave her all to the temple treasury. But the apparent zeal for God on the part of the priests and rabbis was a pretense to cover their desire for self-aggrandizement. The people were deceived by them. They were bearing heavy burdens which God had not imposed. Even the disciples of Christ were not wholly free from the yoke that had been bound upon them by inherited prejudice and rabbinical authority. Now, by revealing the true spirit of the rabbis, Jesus sought to free from the bondage of tradition all who were really desirous of serving God." {The Desire of Ages, page 397, paragraph 1} 

What a blessing it is to return our tithe and offering to God's remnant church and also give to further missions around the world! It is a delight to serve God wholeheartedly! "I delight to do Thy will, O my God: Yea, Thy law is within my heart" (Psalm 40:8).

Dorine

« Reply #135 on: January 09, 2024, 05:23:16 AM »
"Whenever the message of truth comes home to souls with special power, Satan stirs up his agents to start a dispute over some minor question. Thus he seeks to attract attention from the real issue. Whenever a good work is begun, there are cavilers ready to enter into dispute over forms or technicalities, to draw minds away from the living realities. When it appears that God is about to work in a special manner for His people, let them not be enticed into a controversy that will work only ruin of souls. The questions that most concern us are, Do I believe with saving faith on the Son of God? Is my life in harmony with the divine law? “He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life.” “And hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.” John 3:36; 1 John 2:3.

God's word is full of instruction on what His requirements are and the results of not obeying. They are not given to restrict our freedoms but to bring true freedom and happiness to all that follow His commands. He corrects us and puts boundaries in place because He loves us.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Philip T

« Reply #136 on: January 09, 2024, 07:02:45 AM »
    To the multitude, and afterward more fully to His disciples, Jesus explained that defilement comes not from without, but from within. Purity and impurity pertain to the soul. It is the evil deed, the evil word, the evil thought, the transgression of the law of God, not the neglect of external, man-made ceremonies, that defiles a man.

We see God is not fooled by the outside presentation we put forward to those around us, "Man looks at the outside God looks at the inside. Purity is what is inside the mind and heart, not the outside appearance. It is our character God in interested in, and is the only thing we will take to heaven with us.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #137 on: January 09, 2024, 10:16:39 PM »
Amen! Today's reading points out how dangerous is false teaching. While we are not to be distracted from spreading the gospel message, we find here Jesus calling some false teachers hypocrites. In the church today this is said to be unacceptable.

Never, by word or deed, did Jesus lessen man’s obligation to present gifts and offerings to God. It was Christ who gave all the directions of the law in regard to tithes and offerings. When on earth He commended the poor woman who gave her all to the temple treasury. But the apparent zeal for God on the part of the priests and rabbis was a pretense to cover their desire for self-aggrandizement. The people were deceived by them. They were bearing heavy burdens which God had not imposed. Even the disciples of Christ were not wholly free from the yoke that had been bound upon them by inherited prejudice and rabbinical authority. Now, by revealing the true spirit of the rabbis, Jesus sought to free from the bondage of tradition all who were really desirous of serving God.

“Ye hypocrites,” He said, addressing the wily spies, “well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying, This people draweth nigh unto Me with their mouth, and honoreth Me with their lips; but their heart is far from Me. But in vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.” The words of Christ were an arraignment of the whole system of Pharisaism. He declared that by placing their requirements above the divine precepts the rabbis were setting themselves above God.