Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--40--A Night on the Lake  (Read 14623 times)

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--40--A Night on the Lake
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2022, 05:41:00 AM »
"No sooner had Jesus taken His place in the boat than the wind ceased, "and immediately the ship was at the land whither they went." The night of horror was succeeded by the light of dawn. The disciples, and others who also were on board, bowed at the feet of Jesus with thankful hearts, saying, "Of a truth Thou art the Son of God!"

When Jesus takes His place in our boat (our hearts) we too will experience a calm peaceful joy that is beyond description. In words and actions we will bow at His feet and acknowledge His divinity and grace.  Without Jesus there is fear, restlessness and uncertainty. The disciples did not need to go through this experience if they had learned previous lessons Jesus was teaching them. How many unnecessary storms have we had to go through because we did not learn prior lessons. We can thank God with all our hearts that He does not leave us during those times but longingly waits for us to call upon Him for help. We are weak but He is strong and He will supply our need when we ask. What a beautiful, precious Saviour is Jesus my Lord.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2022, 05:57:40 AM »
Amen dear sister!! Jesus does not forsake us when we sin. He came into this world to save us. Why is it that we would sin when we know of His love for us? Because we are a forgetful people and our only hope is continual dependence upon Him. When we take our eyes off of Him, we will surely fall. When we call out for help, He is there.

Those who fail to realize their constant dependence upon God will be overcome by temptation. We may now suppose that our feet stand secure, and that we shall never be moved. We may say with confidence, "I know in whom I have believed; nothing can shake my faith in God and in His word." But Satan is planning to take advantage of our hereditary and cultivated traits of character, and to blind our eyes to our own necessities and defects. Only through realizing our own weakness and looking steadfastly unto Jesus can we walk securely. 

It is a hard lesson to learn, and a painful one, for when we forget Jesus and sin, we hurt the One we love. We crucify Jesus afresh when we sin. And when we sin, Satan laughs in Jesus' face.  And, we delay His coming. Jesus knows all this, yet He is patient with us. We still have an Intercessor who stands between us and death. What is He doing today? He is pouring clean water upon His church.  Those who doubt His love for His organized church need to study to show themselves approved. Whether it is the wind or water, He is revealing His grace to those who still have opportunity to be cleansed from sin. From the lips of Ezekiel:

36:22   Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; I do not [this] for your sakes, O house of Israel, but for mine holy name's sake, which ye have profaned among the heathen, whither ye went. 
 36:23   And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I [am] the LORD, saith the Lord GOD, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes. 
 36:24   For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land. 
 36:25   Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. 

37:5   Thus saith the Lord GOD unto these bones; Behold, I will cause breath to enter into you, and ye shall live: 
 37:6   And I will lay sinews upon you, and will bring up flesh upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and ye shall live; and ye shall know that I [am] the LORD. 
 37:7   So I prophesied as I was commanded: and as I prophesied, there was a noise, and behold a shaking, and the bones came together, bone to his bone. 
 37:8   And when I beheld, lo, the sinews and the flesh came up upon them, and the skin covered them above: but [there was] no breath in them. 
 37:9   Then said he unto me, Prophesy unto the wind, prophesy, son of man, and say to the wind, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe upon these slain, that they may live. 
 37:10   So I prophesied as he commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they lived, and stood up upon their feet, an exceeding great army. 
 37:11   Then he said unto me, Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel: behold, they say, Our bones are dried, and our hope is lost: we are cut off for our parts. 
 37:12   Therefore prophesy and say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, O my people, I will open your graves, and cause you to come up out of your graves, and bring you into the land of Israel. 
 37:13   And ye shall know that I [am] the LORD, when I have opened your graves, O my people, and brought you up out of your graves, 
 37:14   And shall put my spirit in you, and ye shall live, and I shall place you in your own land: then shall ye know that I the LORD have spoken [it], and performed [it], saith the LORD. 

Let us not be discouraged, but continue to pray that we cease sinning and glorify our Savior and hasten His soon coming. He cannot come until His people cease dirtying the heavenly sanctuary with our sins. While pouring clean water upon His people, He is removing His Spirit from the world. Good is called evil and evil called good. National apostasy is bringing national ruin to all nations in the world. Let His people be a light in this dark spot in the universe that He may be glorified.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Philip T

« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2022, 07:20:50 AM »
  When trouble comes upon us, how often we are like Peter! We look upon the waves, instead of keeping our eyes fixed upon the Saviour. Our footsteps slide, and the proud waters go over our souls. Jesus did not bid Peter come to Him that he should perish; He does not call us to follow Him, and then forsake us. "Fear not," He says; "for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art Mine. When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. For I am the Lord thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour." Isaiah 43:1-3.   

When reading this, I remembered a story about Charles Spurgeon, the great evangelist, after a powerful sermon a lady from the congregation approached him, shook his hand and stated what a powerful sermon you delivered today. His response "so the devil tells me every day." Pride does come before the fall, when we take our eyes off of Jesus, and look at ourselves. Satan strikes, we fall, only by surrendering self to Jesus, and keeping our eyes focused on Him can we overcome.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2022, 08:58:55 AM »
Praise the Lord!! Amen, Brother Beacon, Sister Dorine, Brother Richard, and Brother Philip!!

God is faithful and He is able to work all things together for good to them that love Him. Whether we avail ourselves of the blessings He has in store for us in the experience He brings us through, it is a choice we make. Peter could have learned in his experience in nearly drowning on the sea and being saved by Jesus that He needed Jesus continually--and that would have proved a key difference for when he would be tempted to deny knowing Christ. Had he realized that Jesus was able to keep him and felt his own weakness, he need not have denied Jesus three times. Oh, let us learn how much we need Jesus on a moment-by-moment basis, as through continual surrender to Him all of the fruits of the Spirit will be manifest in our lives without one missing as long as we are truly converted. Then through abiding in Jesus we can be cheerfully obedient to all God has revealed to us by His grace! 

"Jesus read the character of His disciples. He knew how sorely their faith was to be tried. In this incident on the sea He desired to reveal to Peter his own weakness,—to show that his safety was in constant dependence upon divine power. Amid the storms of temptation he could walk safely only as in utter self-distrust he should rely upon the Saviour. It was on the point where he thought himself strong that Peter was weak; and not until he discerned his weakness could he realize his need of dependence upon Christ. Had he learned the lesson that Jesus sought to teach him in that experience on the sea, he would not have failed when the great test came upon him." {The Desire of Ages, page 382, paragraph 2}

The grace of God is sufficient for us to keep us from falling into sin, but the strength is not in ourselves, it is in Christ. When Christ lives out His life in us, we can be consistently godly witnesses of what He is to us--a living Savior and Friend who only wants to make us truly happy both in this life and in the life to come, even as we seek to reach many more for Christ!!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2023, 08:19:15 PM »
"Jesus did not bid Peter come to Him that he should perish."

"He does not call us to follow Him, and then forsake us."

"Fear not,"He says;"for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name thou art Mine."

"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. For I am the Lord thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour." Isaiah 43:1-3."

Quote from Pastor Sean...."Peter could have learned in his experience in nearly drowning on the sea and being saved by Jesus that He needed Jesus continually--and that would have proved a key difference for when he would be tempted to deny knowing Christ.

Amen Pastor Sean. We must keep our eyes on Jesus and trust Him with "ALL" our hearts.

========================

O soul, are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There’s light for a look at the Savior,
And life more abundant and free.
    Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
  In the light of His glory and grace.
Through death into life everlasting
He passed, and we follow Him there;
O’er us sin no more hath dominion
For more than conqu’rors we are!
His Word shall not fail you, He promised;
Believe Him and all will be well;
Then go to a world that is dying,
His perfect salvation to tell!

Music and Words--Helen Howarth Lemmel (1863-1961)
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2023, 01:27:35 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! Praise the Lord that the spiritual lessons the Lord has been showing me can be a blessing to others as we share together and experience the unity Christ prayed for (John 17)!

You are fully known by Someone. Let Christ's loving knowledge of you lead you to completely trust Him and accept His plans for your life, heed His warnings, and graciously appreciate the way He will help you learn what is needed to be kept from falling into temptation. May we all learn to be humble and teachable so Jesus can do in and through us what He longs to do! When we yield our whole heart to Him and abide in His love, all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will flow through our lives in unselfish blessing of others, as Christ enthroned on our hearts enables us to obey the royal law of love, the Ten Commandments!

"Jesus read the character of His disciples. He knew how sorely their faith was to be tried. In this incident on the sea He desired to reveal to Peter his own weakness,—to show that his safety was in constant dependence upon divine power. Amid the storms of temptation he could walk safely only as in utter self-distrust he should rely upon the Saviour. It was on the point where he thought himself strong that Peter was weak; and not until he discerned his weakness could he realize his need of dependence upon Christ. Had he learned the lesson that Jesus sought to teach him in that experience on the sea, he would not have failed when the great test came upon him." {The Desire of Ages, page 382, paragraph 2}

The trials we face are for growth of character and benefit to prepare us for future trials. Jesus Himself modeled this by His experience, as we see from Hebrews 5:8: "Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which He suffered." Had Peter remembered that he could only be kept from sin by keeping his eyes on Jesus and trusting fully in His grace, Peter would have been able to resist the temptation to deny Jesus three times, and could have had a much happier experience with Jesus. Oh, let us realize that all that God tells us is really to deepen our loving relationship with Him and to make us happier as we abide in His holiness! Praise the Lord!!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2023, 09:27:05 AM »
Amen my dear brothers!  It is a hard lesson to learn, but God is trying to teach us by the daily tests He allows into our lives.

Day by day God instructs His children. By the circumstances of the daily life He is preparing them to act their part upon that wider stage to which His providence has appointed them. It is the issue of the daily test that determines their victory or defeat in life's great crisis.
     Those who fail to realize their constant dependence upon God will be overcome by temptation. We may now suppose that our feet stand secure, and that we shall never be moved. We may say with confidence, "I know in whom I have believed; nothing can shake my faith in God and in His word." But Satan is planning to take advantage of our hereditary and cultivated traits of character, and to blind our eyes to our own necessities and defects. Only through realizing our own weakness and looking steadfastly unto Jesus can we walk securely. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.