Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--40--A Night on the Lake  (Read 14172 times)

Beacon

Re: The Desire of Ages--40--A Night on the Lake
« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2021, 08:11:02 PM »
"Those who fail to realize their constant dependence upon God will be overcome by temptation."

"We may now suppose that our feet stand secure, and that we shall never be moved. We may say with confidence, "I know in whom I have believed; nothing can shake my faith in God and in His word." But Satan is planning to take advantage of our hereditary and cultivated traits of character, and to blind our eyes to our own necessities and defects."

"Only through realizing our own weakness and looking steadfastly unto Jesus can we walk securely."

"Day by day God instructs His children. By the circumstances of the daily life He is preparing them to act their part upon that wider stage to which His providence has appointed them. It is the issue of the daily test that determines their victory or defeat in life's great crisis."

"Jesus read the character of His disciples. He knew how sorely their faith was to be tried. In this incident on the sea He desired to reveal to Peter his own weakness,--to show that his safety was in constant dependence upon divine power. Amid the storms of temptation he could walk safely only as in utter self-distrust he should rely upon the Saviour. It was on the point where he thought himself strong that Peter was weak; and not until he discerned his weakness could he realize his need of dependence upon Christ."

Had he learned the lesson that Jesus sought to teach him in that experience on the sea, he would not have failed when the great test came upon him."

"It is the issue of the daily test that determines their victory or defeat in life's great crisis."

"Jesus had not forgotten them.The Watcher on the shore saw those fear-stricken men battling with the tempest. Not for a moment did He lose sight of His disciples. With deepest solicitude His eyes followed the storm-tossed boat with its precious burden; for these men were to be the light of the world.. As a mother in tender love watches her child, so the compassionate Master watched His disciples.

"When their hearts were subdued, their unholy ambition quelled, and in humility they prayed for help, it was given them."

The question is...Have we learned a lesson from this account???

"Jesus had not forgotten them. The Watcher on the shore saw those fear-stricken men battling with the tempest. Not for a moment did He lose sight of His disciples. With deepest solicitude His eyes followed the storm-tossed boat with its precious burden; for these men were to be the light of the world.. As a mother in tender love watches her child, so the compassionate Master watched His disciples."

When their hearts were subdued, their unholy ambition quelled, and in humility they prayed for help, it was given them.

HAPPY SABBATH TO ALL THE REMNANT FAMILY GOD AROUND THE WORLD.
Look up and listen for the shout.

Philip T

« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2021, 03:36:35 AM »
  Day by day God instructs His children. By the circumstances of the daily life He is preparing them to act their part upon that wider stage to which His providence has appointed them. It is the issue of the daily test that determines their victory or defeat in life's great crisis.

Each day of our lives God is instructing(teaching) us and preparing us for a life of service to Him and in the process of doing this we are being prepared to stand at the end of time.  This is the life of  sanctification we walk every day with Jesus, we need to learn like Peter to place our hand in Jesus hand and surrender our will to His will.

Dorine

« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2021, 05:49:15 AM »
....."Until the fourth watch of the night they toiled at the oars. Then the weary men gave themselves up for lost. In storm and darkness the sea had taught them their own helplessness, and they longed for the presence of their Master.      

Jesus had not forgotten them. The Watcher on the shore saw those fear-stricken men battling with the tempest. Not for a moment did He lose sight of His disciples. With deepest solicitude His eyes followed the storm-tossed boat with its precious burden; for these men were to be the light of the world. As a mother in tender love watches her child, so the compassionate Master watched His disciples. When their hearts were subdued, their unholy ambition quelled, and in humility they prayed for help, it was given them.

Just when we think we are finished Jesus is there to answer our call for help. I was impressed with the fact that on the stormy sea Jesus walked past the boat as if to go on by but as soon as they called out to Him He immediately answered. Jesus does not push His way into our lives. He makes Himself plainly available waiting for us to recognize Him and reach out to Him. How many ways can He show His love for us? How many stories of His selfless life does it take to convince us that He works untiringly to bring us into a saving, trusting relationship with Him so that the boisterous waves of life will not overwhelm us.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2021, 08:27:32 AM »
Amen dear sister! Jesus had not forgotten them, but they had forgotten Him. There is a lesson for us. Jesus is right here, but we forget this all too often.

My dear brothers have understood the lesson today. We need to hold on to Jesus else we have no power to resist the smallest temptation. Our characters are being formed each day. We are either becoming more like Jesus or we are going in the other direction. It is thus that our characters are being formed.

Day by day God instructs His children. By the circumstances of the daily life He is preparing them to act their part upon that wider stage to which His providence has appointed them. It is the issue of the daily test that determines their victory or defeat in life's great crisis.
     Those who fail to realize their constant dependence upon God will be overcome by temptation. We may now suppose that our feet stand secure, and that we shall never be moved. We may say with confidence, "I know in whom I have believed; nothing can shake my faith in God and in His word." But Satan is planning to take advantage of our hereditary and cultivated traits of character, and to blind our eyes to our own necessities and defects. Only through realizing our own weakness and looking steadfastly unto Jesus can we walk securely. 

Today will decide tomorrow to a great degree.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2021, 03:52:43 AM »
Listen to the voice of Jesus. He can dispel our fears and implant in our hearts and minds His divine nature, so powerful that we can live above the pull of the world, the flesh and the devil, and in each storm of life walk by faith, not by sight! Then all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be revealed in a life of affectionate obedience to all the commandments of God!

"They think it a phantom that omens their destruction, and they cry out for fear. Jesus advances as if He would pass them; but they recognize Him, and cry out, entreating His help. Their beloved Master turns, His voice silences their fear, 'Be of good cheer: it is I; be not afraid.'" {The Desire of Ages, page 381, paragraph 3}

Let us choose Jesus moment-by-moment by having His thoughts in our minds, for we are invited to live by every word that proceeds from His mouth--no matter how great the trial that would tempt us to have our minds diverted from Him, for Christ is the Word made flesh! He will dwell in every heart that is fully yielded to Him! Will you choose Jesus?
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2021, 05:57:26 AM »
"Day by day God instructs His children. By the circumstances of the daily life He is preparing them to act their part upon that wider stage to which His providence has appointed them. It is the issue of the daily test that determines their victory or defeat in life's great crisis. Those who fail to realize their constant dependence upon God will be overcome by temptation.....Only through realizing our own weakness and looking steadfastly unto Jesus can we walk securely."

Jesus wants to be the center of all our affections. That is the only way we will, in our weaknesses, be victorious over temptation. Jesus working in us and through us keeps us from falling. As we keep our eyes on Jesus moment by moment we will experience a relationship with Him that will keep us steadfast by His grace.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2021, 06:42:35 AM »
"The Watcher on the shore saw those fear-stricken men battling with the tempest. Not for a moment did He lose sight of His disciples."

"With deepest solicitude His eyes followed the storm-tossed boat with its precious burden; for these men were to be the light of the world."

"As a mother in tender love watches her child, so the compassionate Master watched His disciples."

"When their hearts were subdued, their unholy ambition quelled, and in humility they prayed for help, it was given them."

The question is...Have we learned a lesson from this account???

The wonderful promise of Jesus to each one of us is found in John 14:27...Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

May God Bless each of you and keep you wrapped up in "His Peace" today.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2021, 09:51:47 PM »
Amen!! If we shall learn of God's grace so that we love Him with the whole heart, then we will cling to Him that we might not sin against Him. When we let the mind wander away from Him we have no defense against the temptation to sin.

Jesus read the character of His disciples. He knew how sorely their faith was to be tried. In this incident on the sea He desired to reveal to Peter his own weakness,--to show that his safety was in constant dependence upon divine power. Amid the storms of temptation he could walk safely only as in utter self-distrust he should rely upon the Saviour. It was on the point where he thought himself strong that Peter was weak; and not until he discerned his weakness could he realize his need of dependence upon Christ. Had he learned the lesson that Jesus sought to teach him in that experience on the sea, he would not have failed when the great test came upon him.
     Those who fail to realize their constant dependence upon God will be overcome by temptation
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2022, 08:16:13 PM »
"It was on the point where he thought himself strong that Peter was weak; and not until he discerned his weakness could he realize his need of dependence upon Christ."

"Had he learned the lesson that Jesus sought to teach him in that experience on the sea, he would not have failed when the great test came upon him."

"Day by day God instructs His children. By the circumstances of the daily life He is preparing them to act their part upon that wider stage to which His providence has appointed them. "

"It is the issue of the daily test that determines their victory or defeat in life's great crisis."

"Those who fail to realize their constant dependence upon God will be overcome by temptation."

"As a mother in tender love watches her child, so the compassionate Master watched His disciples. When their hearts were subdued, their unholy ambition quelled, and in humility they prayed for help, it was given them."

When trouble comes upon us, how often we are like Peter! We look upon the waves, instead of keeping our eyes fixed upon the Saviour. Let us determine to change that by turning our eyes upon Jesus.

-----------------------------------------

O soul, are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There’s light for a look at the Savior,
And life more abundant and free.
    Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
  In the light of His glory and grace.
Through death into life everlasting
He passed, and we follow Him there;
O’er us sin no more hath dominion
For more than conqu’rors we are!
His Word shall not fail you, He promised;
Believe Him and all will be well;
Then go to a world that is dying,
His perfect salvation to tell!

Lyrics and Music:Helen Howarth Lemmel (1863-1961)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2022, 06:07:46 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!! Let us keep our eyes on Jesus!!

Troubles and trials are often part of our experience in this life, but who can we always turn to in them? Who is always near to deliver and give us strength to go through them? Jesus is always there to help us, and more than just help us through the trial, He desires to dwell in our hearts as we surrender fully to Him! Then He can manifest through us all of the fruits of the Spirit and empower us to obey Him because He first loved us! Let us look upon Jesus and not lose sight of Him in our trials, no matter how intense they may be!

"When trouble comes upon us, how often we are like Peter! We look upon the waves, instead of keeping our eyes fixed upon the Saviour. Our footsteps slide, and the proud waters go over our souls. Jesus did not bid Peter come to Him that he should perish; He does not call us to follow Him, and then forsake us. 'Fear not,' He says; 'for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art Mine. When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. For I am the Lord thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour.' Isaiah 43:1-3." {The Desire of Ages, page 382, paragraph 1}

By looking to Jesus continually, we are strengthened not just for the present trial, but our character is developed to be able to bear greater trial in the future, and thus God can be glorified by the revelation of His character in His people! Let us not lose sight of Jesus from the eye of faith for a moment!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2022, 09:18:08 AM »
   "The disciples had that day witnessed the wonderful works of Christ. It had seemed that heaven had come down to the earth. The memory of that precious, glorious day should have filled them with faith and hope. Had they, out of the abundance of their hearts, been conversing together in regard to these things, they would not have entered into temptation. But their disappointment had absorbed their thoughts. The words of Christ, "Gather up the fragments, . . . that nothing be lost," were unheeded. Those were hours of large blessing to the disciples, but they had forgotten it all. They were in the midst of troubled waters. Their thoughts were stormy and unreasonable, and the Lord gave them something else to afflict their souls and occupy their minds. God often does this when men create burdens and troubles for themselves. The disciples had no need to make trouble. Already danger was fast approaching."

This reminds me of God's church today. Troubles from every side are lurking and taking many down. Their faith has been based on their own ideas and understanding and not on the word of God. I'm so thankful that God does not give up on anyone. He will send storms of another kind to redirect thoughts back to our great need of Him. The lessons in God's word are for our benefit that we may be strengthened when tempted with discouragement.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2022, 07:28:22 PM »
Amen!! We glory in our tribulation when we understand that it works for God's glory and our good when we are abiding in Jesus. God measures a trial for us each day. This ought to encourage us that when we face tribulation, it is God that measures just how much we need.   :)

Amen! It is the character being formed one way or the other that prepares us for eternal life or eternal death. The choice is entirely ours. Let us choose Jesus!!

Beacon

« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2022, 08:06:17 PM »
"When trouble comes upon us, how often we are like Peter! We look upon the waves, instead of keeping our eyes fixed upon the Saviour."

"Let us determine to change that by turning our eyes upon Jesus."

====================

Lyrics & Music :Helen Howarth Lemmel (1863-1961)

Dorine

« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2022, 05:16:00 AM »
Looking unto Jesus, Peter walks securely; but as in self-satisfaction he glances back toward his companions in the boat, his eyes are turned from the Saviour. The wind is boisterous. The waves roll high, and come directly between him and the Master; and he is afraid. For a moment Christ is hidden from his view, and his faith gives way. He begins to sink. But while the billows talk with death, Peter lifts his eyes from the angry waters, and fixing them upon Jesus, cries, "Lord, save me." Immediately Jesus grasps the outstretched hand, saying, "O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?"       Walking side by side, Peter's hand in that of his Master, they stepped into the boat together. But Peter was now subdued and silent. He had no reason to boast over his fellows, for through unbelief and self-exaltation he had very nearly lost his life. When he turned his eyes from Jesus, his footing was lost, and he sank amid the waves."  {DA 381.6}

We are so prone to take our eyes off of Jesus when the waters are smooth but when troubles come, in His love, He allows us to be tested so that we may see our weaknesses and how much we need Him every moment of every day. My prayer each day is that Jesus will take my hand and walk with me through out the day as I keep my eyes steadfast on Him.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2022, 05:50:57 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!

To glory in tribulation means to trust that God is love and praise Him in all the circumstances that He allows to befall us. While we know He is good and kind, and as we trust His divine leading, we can rejoice in Him even amid the most trying circumstances, knowing that His grace is sufficient for us and that He has His way to keep us in a state of true conversion, or, if we have yet to experience it or neglected to maintain that connection with Christ by a living faith surrender of the whole heart, to bring us through the needed trials that will allow us choose to be connected or get re-connected so all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing may be manifest in our lives as we affectionately obey God! When we go through trial in a thoroughly converted state, the glory goes to God as those seeing us in the trial and the onlooking universe realize that God is able to keep His finite people abiding in Him and glorifying Him, even as Jesus did, all the way to the cross!

"When trouble comes upon us, how often we are like Peter! We look upon the waves, instead of keeping our eyes fixed upon the Saviour. Our footsteps slide, and the proud waters go over our souls. Jesus did not bid Peter come to Him that he should perish; He does not call us to follow Him, and then forsake us. 'Fear not,' He says; 'for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art Mine. When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. For I am the Lord thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour.' Isaiah 43:1-3." {The Desire of Ages, page 382, paragraph 1}

Trials mean benefit in the sense that they develop and reveal character more clearly. Let's thank God today for all that He brings us through because He loves us and is preparing us for heaven! Before we enter there, He is giving us heaven in our hearts, sealing His people so that they are settled into the truth intellectually and spiritually so they will never be moved from His character and word!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2022, 09:42:29 AM »
Amen my dear friends!  It is a hard lesson to learn, but we do indeed understand that like Peter we too often take our eyes off of Jesus. And when we do, we end up in the water just as did Peter. "Unbelief and self-satisfaction" is our problem at times as it was with Peter.

Those who fail to realize their constant dependence upon God will be overcome by temptation. We may now suppose that our feet stand secure, and that we shall never be moved. We may say with confidence, "I know in whom I have believed; nothing can shake my faith in God and in His word." But Satan is planning to take advantage of our hereditary and cultivated traits of character, and to blind our eyes to our own necessities and defects. Only through realizing our own weakness and looking steadfastly unto Jesus can we walk securely.

As Jesus told the disciples in Gethsemane, we must watch and pray, we must continually be looking unto Jesus in order to not sin. We are evil by nature and our only hope is to maintain our connection with Christ. This we may do if we realize our sinfulness and weakness and the power of grace to transform sinners into saints.

Beacon

« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2022, 08:00:14 PM »
"The disciples had that day witnessed the wonderful works of Christ.

It had seemed that heaven had come down to the earth.

"The memory of that precious, glorious day should have filled them with faith and hope."

Had they, out of the abundance of their hearts, been conversing together in regard to these things, they would not have entered into temptation.

"But their disappointment had absorbed their thoughts."

"The words of Christ, "Gather up the fragments, . . . that nothing be lost," were unheeded."

"Those were hours of large blessing to the disciples, but they had forgotten it all."

"They were in the midst of troubled waters. Their thoughts were stormy and unreasonable, and the Lord gave them something else to afflict their souls and occupy their minds."

"God often does this when men create burdens and troubles for themselves. "

Let's be honest here!....How many times have "WE" been guilty of the same type of thinking & actions? Thank God He doesn't leave us in that condition but extends His Mercy & Grace! Should we not do the same for our fellow man??

==============================

Like the woman at the well, I was seeking
For things that could not satisfy.
And then I heard my Savior speaking—
“Draw from My well that never shall run dry.”
    Fill my cup, Lord;
I lift it up Lord;
Come and quench this thirsting of my soul.
Bread of Heaven, feed me till I want no more.
Fill my cup, fill it up and make me whole.
There are millions in this world who are seeking
For pleasures earthly goods afford.
But none can match the wondrous treasure
That I find in Jesus Christ my Lord.
So my brother if the things that this world gives you
Leave hungers that won’t pass away,
My blessed Lord will come and save you
If you kneel to Him and humbly pray—

Lyrics:Richard Blanchard (1925-2004)
Music:Richard Blanchard (1925-2004)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2022, 07:58:37 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

We need help--constantly--from Jesus. He longs to teach us day by day of our continual need of Him to do any good thing. As we abide in Him, He imparts to us the strength of His character so all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing are in our lives. Gladly we can obediently go in the path His providence assigns! May you today let the Lord lead you constantly!

"Those who fail to realize their constant dependence upon God will be overcome by temptation. We may now suppose that our feet stand secure, and that we shall never be moved. We may say with confidence, 'I know in whom I have believed; nothing can shake my faith in God and in His word.' But Satan is planning to take advantage of our hereditary and cultivated traits of character, and to blind our eyes to our own necessities and defects. Only through realizing our own weakness and looking steadfastly unto Jesus can we walk securely." {The Desire of Ages, page 382, paragraph 4}

"When I am weak, then am I strong" (2 Corinthians 12:10).
While the strength of character God offers us is found in humility and surrender, it is only by union and communion with Christ that we can walk above the pull of the world, the flesh and the devil.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2022, 08:41:53 AM »
Amen my dear brothers!!  When we forget about Jesus, trouble is coming, it is on its way. We need Jesus continually in order to do any good thing and to resist the smallest temptation.

What is that "wider stage"?  It is different for different people. Some will not see death and go through a time of trouble such as never was. The important question is how do we prepare for what God has planned for us? God does not wave a magic wand and change our character, our strength to resist temptation. No, today we are facing tests. God measures them for us each day. Why? Because every time we pass the test our faith grows stronger, our ability to resist sin grows stronger day by day. Habits are being formed to resist sin at higher levels. It is character that God is working with us to produce. He wants us to reflect His character more and more. We can only do that as we abide in Him and we are filled with the Holy Spirit who empowers us to be able to keep His commandments. Day by day through obeying the truth we come to understanding not only our continual need of Jesus, but we better understand the gift He gives in making us stronger Christians. Unlike Adam living in holy flesh who could not resist eating from the forbidden tree, God has re-created us that through Him we will not sin living in fallen flesh.

It is the daily test that God uses to reveal to us our great need of Him continually and His ability to keep us from sin as we cling to Him. What a loving and omnipotent God we love and serve!!