Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--40--A Night on the Lake  (Read 17636 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--40--A Night on the Lake
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2019, 09:56:20 AM »
It is interesting and sad that the disciples wondered if Jesus was indeed their Messiah.  :(

They had a problem similar to that which we need to understand. When I preach that we come into the world in need of a Savior because we can do no good thing, there are some who think they can do good things prior to being converted. They think I am a heretic. They do not see that because we have a fallen evil nature we need Jesus in the heart every minute of every day if we do not want to sin. This is a serious theological heresy we face in the church. Many believe they are saved when they commit a known sin, or that they may have pride in the heart that they do not know of. When we love Jesus supremely, the Holy Spirit takes possession of the heart and cleanses it as white as snow. We have a pure heart when we make a full heart surrender to Christ. We will not come to the point of daily walking with Jesus unless we see our need of His continual presence. So it was with the disciples prior to the cross.

Jesus read the character of His disciples. He knew how sorely their faith was to be tried. In this incident on the sea He desired to reveal to Peter his own weakness,--to show that his safety was in constant dependence upon divine power. Amid the storms of temptation he could walk safely only as in utter self-distrust he should rely upon the Saviour. It was on the point where he thought himself strong that Peter was weak; and not until he discerned his weakness could he realize his need of dependence upon Christ. Had he learned the lesson that Jesus sought to teach him in that experience on the sea, he would not have failed when the great test came upon him.
     Day by day God instructs His children. By the circumstances of the daily life He is preparing them to act their part upon that wider stage to which His providence has appointed them. It is the issue of the daily test that determines their victory or defeat in life's great crisis.
     Those who fail to realize their constant dependence upon God will be overcome by temptation.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2019, 10:03:35 AM »
"A violent tempest had been stealing upon them, and they were unprepared for it. It was a sudden contrast, for the day had been perfect; and when the gale struck them, they were afraid. They forgot their disaffection, their unbelief, their impatience. Everyone worked to keep the boat from sinking. It was but a short distance by sea from Bethsaida to the point where they expected to meet Jesus, and in ordinary weather the journey required but a few hours; but now they were driven farther and farther from the point they sought. Until the fourth watch of the night they toiled at the oars. Then the weary men gave themselves up for lost. In storm and darkness the sea had taught them their own helplessness, and they longed for the presence of their Master."   

This reminds me of times in my life when I was so caught up in the gloom of unhappiness that God allowed a more intense tempest to blow to wake me up to my sin of ingratitude and my great need of Him.

We are all on a storm tossed sea of sin. We can either work to exhaustion to ride it ourselves to no avail or we can call out for help to the One who is ever watching and waiting for that humble surrendered cry.

"Jesus had not forgotten them. The Watcher on the shore saw those fear-stricken men battling with the tempest. Not for a moment did He lose sight of His disciples. With deepest solicitude His eyes followed the storm-tossed boat with its precious burden; for these men were to be the light of the world. As a mother in tender love watches her child, so the compassionate Master watched His disciples. When their hearts were subdued, their unholy ambition quelled, and in humility they prayed for help, it was given them.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2019, 05:24:19 AM »
Dorine, thank you for these thoughts. I think most reading can relate to what you've shared. It can be easy to focus on problems themselves instead of the "Problem  Solver".

When their hearts were subdued, their unholy ambition quelled, and in humility they prayed for help, it was given them.

Amen!
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Beacon

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2019, 06:20:10 PM »

"Jesus read the character of His disciples. He knew how sorely their faith was to be tried. In this incident on the sea He desired to reveal to Peter his own weakness,--to show that his safety was in constant dependence upon divine power. Amid the storms of temptation he could walk safely only as in utter self-distrust he should rely upon the Saviour. It was on the point where he thought himself strong that Peter was weak; and not until he discerned his weakness could he realize his need of dependence upon Christ. Had he learned the lesson that Jesus sought to teach him in that experience on the sea, he would not have failed when the great test came upon him.

Day by day God instructs His children. By the circumstances of the daily life He is preparing them to act their part upon that wider stage to which His providence has appointed them. It is the issue of the daily test that determines their victory or defeat in life's great crisis.
Those who fail to realize their constant dependence upon God will be overcome by temptation....Only through realizing our own weakness and looking steadfastly unto Jesus can we walk securely. It is the issue of the daily test that determines their victory or defeat in life's great crisis."

I feel impressed to share a quote with you this morning from the book "The Sanctified Life " which again reminds us of the importance of our daily communion with Jesus.

"The testing time will come to all, when the hopes of many who have for years thought themselves secure, will be seen to be without foundation. When in new positions, under varied circumstances, some who have seemed to be pillars in the house of God reveal only rotten timber beneath the paint and varnish. But the humble in heart, who have daily felt the importance of riveting their souls to the eternal Rock, will stand unmoved amid the tempests of trial, because they trusted not to themselves. “The foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his” (2 Timothy 2:19). {SL 12.1}
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2019, 05:07:52 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

May we learn of Christ each day the lesson He designs to teach us, so that our whole heart may be surrendered to Him and we can discern step by step the way He wants us to go. We individually need to have an experience of knowing the voice of God from His word, from prayer, and the direct influence of the Spirit of God addressing our hearts. God also uses nature and providential leadings to help us discern His will. As we commit our ways to Him, He will direct our steps. As we share what God is doing in our lives, it can bring hope and encouragement to them as well to know that we serve a living God of infinite love!

"Day by day God instructs His children. By the circumstances of the daily life He is preparing them to act their part upon that wider stage to which His providence has appointed them. It is the issue of the daily test that determines their victory or defeat in life's great crisis." {The Desire of Ages, page 382, paragraph 3}

May we realize our continual need of Jesus to do any good thing, and as we abide in Him and He in us, He will manifest all of the fruits of His Spirit without one missing through the character that He is daily fitting to be stronger and more useful in the winning of souls and the service He designs for us through all eternity! 
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2019, 08:16:23 AM »
"The words of Christ, "Gather up the fragments, . . . that nothing be lost," were unheeded. Those were hours of large blessing to the disciples, but they had forgotten it all. They were in the midst of troubled waters. Their thoughts were stormy and unreasonable, and the Lord gave them something else to afflict their souls and occupy their minds. God often does this when men create burdens and troubles for themselves. The disciples had no need to make trouble. Already danger was fast approaching."

I marvel at the contrast between the disciples frustration, anger and impatience toward Jesus and the way in which He responded to these unbelieving, ungrateful men. Such sweet, gentle love is bestowed upon them. They were never out of His sight or mind. Yet He knew they needed a greater storm to assail them in order for them to realize their great need of Him.

We can probably all relate to this because I know in my own life I can look back and see how He has used the same methods to get my attention. Let's never doubt our Saviours love and plans for us.

Jer 29:11  For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2019, 08:51:14 AM »
Amen dear Sister!  Many think that Jesus does not bring upon us trouble. But, He loves us too much to let us go on in "unbelief." If Satan will not intervene, then God will discipline us when needed. It is only through realizing our own weakness and looking steadfastly unto Jesus can we walk securely. If like Peter we turn from Christ and walk in our own strength, then God may choose to inflict upon us something to get our attention. When we get to heaven by God's grace, we shall be shown all that God did in order to save us, and we shall then see that this is exactly what we would have wanted Him to do.

Looking unto Jesus, Peter walks securely; but as in self-satisfaction he glances back toward his companions in the boat, his eyes are turned from the Saviour. The wind is boisterous. The waves roll high, and come directly between him and the Master; and he is afraid. For a moment Christ is hidden from his view, and his faith gives way. He begins to sink. But while the billows talk with death, Peter lifts his eyes from the angry waters, and fixing them upon Jesus, cries, "Lord, save me." Immediately Jesus grasps the outstretched hand, saying, "O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?"  Walking side by side, Peter's hand in that of his Master, they stepped into the boat together. But Peter was now subdued and silent. He had no reason to boast over his fellows, for through unbelief and self-exaltation he had very nearly lost his life. When he turned his eyes from Jesus, his footing was lost, and he sank amid the waves.

There is no greater sin than "unbelief."  At one moment Peter's faith allowed Him to walk on water. But, when He let his mind wander from Christ, unbelief took over. He did not know of his continual need of Jesus in order to walk with Him on troubled waters. As Brother Beacon and Pastor Sean have pointed out "Only through realizing our own weakness and looking steadfastly unto Jesus can we walk securely." God either allows or brings a daily test that we might see our continual need of Him and thus cling to Him that we might obtain the victory.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2019, 04:16:49 PM »
"Day by day God instructs His children. By the circumstances of the daily life He is preparing them to act their part upon that wider stage to which His providence has appointed them. It is the issue of the daily test that determines their victory or defeat in life's great crisis... Those who fail to realize their constant dependence upon God will be overcome by temptation..... Only through realizing our own weakness and looking steadfastly unto Jesus can we walk securely."

I pray that we will have the courage and understand the importance of inviting Jesus to guide us in all our daily decisions and when situations arise and we're not sure which path to take remember ask ourselves the question. WWJD which means What Would Jesus Do?

God's Mighty Promise as found in Isaiah 40:31 King James Version (KJV) says..." But they that wait upon the Lord ( Daily ) shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2019, 05:54:09 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon! Character is the subject. Our characters are to be transformed. Sinners are to become saints. This is only possible when we trust God will all we are and all we have. We must learn of Him who gave all for us. He gave all for me. It is grace that transforms, and we need to be transformed daily.

Jesus read the character of His disciples. He knew how sorely their faith was to be tried. In this incident on the sea He desired to reveal to Peter his own weakness,--to show that his safety was in constant dependence upon divine power. Amid the storms of temptation he could walk safely only as in utter self-distrust he should rely upon the Saviour. It was on the point where he thought himself strong that Peter was weak; and not until he discerned his weakness could he realize his need of dependence upon Christ. Had he learned the lesson that Jesus sought to teach him in that experience on the sea, he would not have failed when the great test came upon him.

Like Peter, we are to understand there is nothing good in us until we allow Christ to take possession of the heart. When we take our eyes off of Jesus we end up in the water. We need Jesus continually in order to resist the smallest temptation to sin. Let us this one day cling to Christ that our characters may reflect His.

Dorine

« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2019, 06:23:44 AM »
Those who fail to realize their constant dependence upon God will be overcome by temptation. We may now suppose that our feet stand secure, and that we shall never be moved. We may say with confidence, "I know in whom I have believed; nothing can shake my faith in God and in His word." But Satan is planning to take advantage of our hereditary and cultivated traits of character, and to blind our eyes to our own necessities and defects. Only through realizing our own weakness and looking steadfastly unto Jesus can we walk securely.

The way has been made so very plain. There is no need for us to be taken by surprise. The conflict between good and evil is raging and we are in the middle of it. Never can we think that our faith can never be shaken. God in His great mercy has been warning us of Satan's great deceptions and how overpowering they are when faced with in our own strength. But the last sentence is a promise to cling to because Jesus does not lie."Only through realizing our own weakness and looking steadfastly unto Jesus can we walk securely."

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2019, 12:26:08 PM »
Amen, Brother Beacon, Brother Richard, and Sister Dorine!!

Jesus desires us to sense our continual need of Him, and become strong in His strength as our weakness is united to His divine nature by the promises of His word. When we have that union and communion with Christ, all of the fruits of the Spirit will be manifest in and through us and we are enabled to be living witnesses of His character to this world and the onlooking universe! What a privilege and responsibility God has entrusted to us! 

"Jesus read the character of His disciples. He knew how sorely their faith was to be tried. In this incident on the sea He desired to reveal to Peter his own weakness,--to show that his safety was in constant dependence upon divine power. Amid the storms of temptation he could walk safely only as in utter self-distrust he should rely upon the Saviour. It was on the point where he thought himself strong that Peter was weak; and not until he discerned his weakness could he realize his need of dependence upon Christ. Had he learned the lesson that Jesus sought to teach him in that experience on the sea, he would not have failed when the great test came upon him." {The Desire of Ages, page 382, paragraph 2}

As we learn from the trials of today, they help prepare us for the bigger trials in the future! Look unto Jesus and live!!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2019, 05:05:40 PM »
"Those who fail to realize their constant dependence upon God will be overcome by temptation. We may now suppose that our feet stand secure, and that we shall never be moved. We may say with confidence, "I know in whom I have believed; nothing can shake my faith in God and in His word." But Satan is planning to take advantage of our hereditary and cultivated traits of character, and to blind our eyes to our own necessities and defects. Only through realizing our own weakness and looking steadfastly unto Jesus can we walk securely." DA Chapter 40

From the Book " The Sanctified Life " We read this counsel & warning...

"The testing time will come to all, when the hopes of many who have for years thought themselves secure, will be seen to be without foundation. When in new positions, under varied circumstances, some who have seemed to be pillars in the house of God reveal only rotten timber beneath the paint and varnish. But the humble in heart, who have daily felt the importance of riveting their souls to the eternal Rock, will stand unmoved amid the tempests of trial, because they trusted not to themselves. “The foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his”" (2 Timothy 2:19). {SL 12.1}

"Satan is planning to take advantage of our hereditary and cultivated traits of character, and to blind our eyes to our own necessities and defects. Only through realizing our own weakness and looking steadfastly unto Jesus can we walk securely." DA Chapter 40

It would do well for us all to remember this old adage....HE WHO FAILS TO PREPARE - PREPARES TO FAIL....Jesus has given us access to all the treasures of Heaven but unless we now have a daily walk with Him we will only reveal " rotten timber beneath the paint and varnish of our lives when the testing time comes.

God says through His Word in Joshua 24:15 "And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." I pray that this will be our answer also -- HAPPY SABBATH.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2019, 04:01:27 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

Happy Sabbath to all!!

God wants to teach us more today as we learn of Him. Let us surrender the whole heart for Jesus to purify so we may overcome through Him, manifesting all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing as long as Jesus reigns in our hearts by faith!

"Day by day God instructs His children. By the circumstances of the daily life He is preparing them to act their part upon that wider stage to which His providence has appointed them. It is the issue of the daily test that determines their victory or defeat in life's great crisis." {The Desire of Ages, page 382, paragraph 3}

Trust and obey, for there is no other way--and may we always keep our eyes on Jesus!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2019, 06:14:23 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon and Pastor Sean.  It would be well to spend a thoughtful hour each day contemplating the life of Christ. By so doing we shall be recreated into His image (character). When we spend time with Him, we will learn of His great love for us and thus we will love Him with all we have and all we are. Our faith becomes saving faith when we know Him as it s our privilege.

When we do not maintain our connection with Christ, it is because we forget who He is and our continual need of Him to do any good thing. Jesus will allow great trials to come to us that we will understand our need of Him. As a parent will allow the child to learn hard lessons, so does our loving Father and our Savior allow us to see how needy we are.

The disciples had that day witnessed the wonderful works of Christ. It had seemed that heaven had come down to the earth. The memory of that precious, glorious day should have filled them with faith and hope. Had they, out of the abundance of their hearts, been conversing together in regard to these things, they would not have entered into temptation. But their disappointment had absorbed their thoughts. The words of Christ, "Gather up the fragments, . . . that nothing be lost," were unheeded. Those were hours of large blessing to the disciples, but they had forgotten it all. They were in the midst of troubled waters. Their thoughts were stormy and unreasonable, and the Lord gave them something else to afflict their souls and occupy their minds. God often does this when men create burdens and troubles for themselves. The disciples had no need to make trouble. Already danger was fast approaching.
     A violent tempest had been stealing upon them, and they were unprepared for it. It was a sudden contrast, for the day had been perfect; and when the gale struck them, they were afraid. They forgot their disaffection, their unbelief, their impatience.

Too often so it is with us.

Those who fail to realize their constant dependence upon God will be overcome by temptation. We may now suppose that our feet stand secure, and that we shall never be moved. We may say with confidence, "I know in whom I have believed; nothing can shake my faith in God and in His word." But Satan is planning to take advantage of our hereditary and cultivated traits of character, and to blind our eyes to our own necessities and defects. Only through realizing our own weakness and looking steadfastly unto Jesus can we walk securely. 

May God grant us His blessings on this Sabbath day. It is a sign to the world that we are His. Let us be faithful witnesses that a world soon to perish will know there is a God of great power and love that watches over us.

Dorine

« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2019, 10:38:08 AM »

For sundown worship last evening hubby read from the book Faith and Works. It was the story of the impotent man. When Christ told him to pick up his bed and walk he did exactly as he was told. He did not question how or when. Then it says,

"This is the faith that we need. But if you stop to explain everything and reason out every point, you will die in your sins, because you will  never be satisfied."

Then as I read today's reading this stood out and seemed to go hand in hand with what we read last evening.
Unbelief was taking possession of their (disciples) minds and hearts. Love of honor had blinded them. They knew that Jesus was hated by the Pharisees, and they were eager to see Him exalted as they thought He should be. To be united with a teacher who could work mighty miracles, and yet to be reviled as deceivers, was a trial they could ill endure. Were they always to be accounted followers of a false prophet? Would Christ never assert His authority as king? Why did not He who possessed such power reveal Himself in His true character, and make their way less painful? Why had He not saved John the Baptist from a violent death? Thus the disciples reasoned until they brought upon themselves great spiritual darkness. They questioned, Could Jesus be an impostor, as the Pharisees asserted?

If they had continued in this line of thinking they would have been lost in their unbelief but praise God through the grace of God and being reminded through the frightening storm who Jesus was they were brought back into humility, surrender and belief. Isn't God good? He does not give up trying to get our attention unless we cross the line into the point of no return. When His wooing love no longer penetrates our cold hard hearts He has no recourse but to let us go. How sad but that is love. He can not force anyone against their will but if He sees a flicker of hope He will not give up.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2020, 04:02:30 AM »
As we learn to see as God sees by the faith of Jesus that He imparts, we will come to realize that trials mean benefit and every blessing is a trial. How so? In trials we often more clearly see our need of Christ, and our relationship with Him deepens. In blessing, we may be tempted to think that God is blessing us on account of some goodness inherent in ourselves (fatal deception), when the blessings He gives us are to equip us to bless others! Oh, may we realize that God's kingdom is upside down from the world, that the true coronation of Christ was on Calvary's cross, and the blessing God has in store for His remnant people is the time of trouble when their earthliness is consumed, thus uniting them in such marital intimacy with Christ the Husband of the Church that they are eternally one with Him by an experience so rare and beautiful that they will sing of it for eternity!

"When left alone, Jesus 'went up into a mountain apart to pray.' For hours He continued pleading with God. Not for Himself but for men were those prayers. He prayed for power to reveal to men the divine character of His mission, that Satan might not blind their understanding and pervert their judgment. The Saviour knew that His days of personal ministry on earth were nearly ended, and that few would receive Him as their Redeemer. In travail and conflict of soul He prayed for His disciples. They were to be grievously tried. Their long-cherished hopes, based on a popular delusion, were to be disappointed in a most painful and humiliating manner. In the place of His exaltation to the throne of David they were to witness His crucifixion. This was to be indeed His true coronation. But they did not discern this, and in consequence strong temptations would come to them, which it would be difficult for them to recognize as temptations. Without the Holy Spirit to enlighten the mind and enlarge the comprehension the faith of the disciples would fail. It was painful to Jesus that their conceptions of His kingdom were, to so great a degree, limited to worldly aggrandizement and honor. For them the burden was heavy upon His heart, and He poured out His supplications with bitter agony and tears." {The Desire of Ages, page 379, paragraph 1}

Jesus prayers were answered. He is now in the Heavenly Sanctuary praying EARNESTLY for us, that in all of our experiences we will realize that He is building a spiritual, not a temporal kingdom. As we choose Christ this day by a fresh, complete surrender of our whole heart to Him, He blots our our sins as we confess and forsake them, imbues us with all of the fruits of the Spirit so that not one is missing, and prepares us to act our part upon the wider stage to which His providence has assigned us. Let us not be discouraged when trials come, but turn continually to Jesus!!

Dorine

« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2020, 05:45:47 AM »
"Those who fail to realize their constant dependence upon God will be overcome by temptation. We may now suppose that our feet stand secure, and that we shall never be moved. We may say with confidence, "I know in whom I have believed; nothing can shake my faith in God and in His word." But Satan is planning to take advantage of our hereditary and cultivated traits of character, and to blind our eyes to our own necessities and defects. Only through realizing our own weakness and looking steadfastly unto Jesus can we walk securely."

May we remember these words as we face the unknowns of today. As we keep our eyes fixed on Jesus He will lead us through troubled waters. As the world is now facing a pandemic and fear is in many hearts those that know Jesus are at peace. Not with a lazy, careless attitude but knowing that while we do all we can to protect ourselves and others God will do the rest. That brings peace to my heart.

Beacon

« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2020, 07:13:33 AM »
"Day by day God instructs His children. By the circumstances of the daily life He is preparing them to act their part upon that wider stage to which His providence has appointed them. It is the issue of the daily test that determines their victory or defeat in life's great crisis. Those who fail to realize their constant dependence upon God will be overcome by temptation....Only through realizing our own weakness and looking steadfastly unto Jesus can we walk securely. It is the issue of the daily test that determines their victory or defeat in life's great crisis."

"Jesus had not forgotten them. The Watcher on the shore saw those fear-stricken men battling with the tempest. Not for a moment did He lose sight of His disciples. With deepest solicitude His eyes followed the storm-tossed boat with its precious burden; for these men were to be the light of the world.. As a mother in tender love watches her child, so the compassionate Master watched His disciples. When their hearts were subdued, their unholy ambition quelled, and in humility they prayed for help, it was given them[/u]"[/b][/font][/color]

The words of this song Day by Day spoke to my heart this morning...

Day by day, and with each passing moment,
Strength I find to meet my trials here;
Trusting in my Father’s wise bestowment,
I’ve no cause for worry or for fear.
He, whose heart is kind beyond all measure,
Gives unto each day what He deems best,
Lovingly its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest.
Every day the Lord Himself is near me,
With a special mercy for each hour;
All my cares He fain would bear and cheer me,
He whose name is Counsellor and Pow’r.
The protection of His child and treasure
Is a charge that on Himself He laid;
“As thy days, thy strength shall be in measure,”
This the pledge to me He made.
Help me then, in every tribulation,
So to trust Thy promises, O Lord,
That I lose not faith’s sweet consolation,
Offered me within Thy holy Word.
Help me, Lord, when toil and trouble meeting,
E’er to take, as from a father’s hand,
One by one, the days, the moments fleeting,
Till with Christ the Lord I stand.

Dorine

« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2020, 05:26:57 AM »
   When trouble comes upon us, how often we are like Peter! We look upon the waves, instead of keeping our eyes fixed upon the Saviour. Our footsteps slide, and the proud waters go over our souls. Jesus did not bid Peter come to Him that he should perish; He does not call us to follow Him, and then forsake us. "Fear not," He says; "for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art Mine. When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. For I am the Lord thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour." Isaiah 43:1-3.

These words bring such peace to my soul. No matter what trials I may face He is there. He promises help in time of need when I ask. Just like Peter who called out to the Saviour to save him from drowning we may call upon our Lord and He will answer. What ever trial you may be facing right now. Humbly call upon Him. Sometimes the difficulties we go through are of our doing but God's grace forgives when we ask and He says "go and sin no more". He may have to tell us this many times. The important thing is that we never resist coming to Him. As we look to Him and behold His great love to us we will respond in love to Him. The fruit of the Spirit will be event in our lives and we will walk with Him in peace, joy and obedience continually.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2020, 06:49:58 AM »
Amen dear Sister Dorine!  The gospel is a very simple message. If we sin today, we still have an Intercessor (Mediator). Jesus does not forsake us. We see the process when Peter sinned after taking His eyes off of Jesus. He fell in the water and was in need of a Savior. Where was Jesus? He was right there calling out to Peter. When Peter cried out to save him, Jesus did. So it is with us. We may understand that we still have a Mediator who will forgive sins. But, the day is fast approaching when we will have no Mediator. How do we prepare for this day? By ceasing to sin. How does that happen? By developing a character that always clings to Christ so we do not sin. It will become a hateful thing to us. Are you and I there yet? We need to love Jesus so much we do not want to mis-represent Him by sinning. Just because you do not hear this from the pulpit or read it in our periodicals does not mean it is not the truth.

In today's reading we can better understand why we sin and how God at times responds.

Unbelief was taking possession of their minds and hearts. Love of honor had blinded them. They knew that Jesus was hated by the Pharisees, and they were eager to see Him exalted as they thought He should be. To be united with a teacher who could work mighty miracles, and yet to be reviled as deceivers, was a trial they could ill endure. Were they always to be accounted followers of a false prophet? Would Christ never assert His authority as king? Why did not He who possessed such power reveal Himself in His true character, and make their way less painful? Why had He not saved John the Baptist from a violent death? Thus the disciples reasoned until they brought upon themselves great spiritual darkness. They questioned, Could Jesus be an impostor, as the Pharisees asserted?
     The disciples had that day witnessed the wonderful works of Christ. It had seemed that heaven had come down to the earth. The memory of that precious, glorious day should have filled them with faith and hope. Had they, out of the abundance of their hearts, been conversing together in regard to these things, they would not have entered into temptation. But their disappointment had absorbed their thoughts. The words of Christ, "Gather up the fragments, . . . that nothing be lost," were unheeded. Those were hours of large blessing to the disciples, but they had forgotten it all. They were in the midst of troubled waters. Their thoughts were stormy and unreasonable, and the Lord gave them something else to afflict their souls and occupy their minds. God often does this when men create burdens and troubles for themselves. The disciples had no need to make trouble. Already danger was fast approaching. 

There is no greater sin than "unbelief." Yet, as Brother Beacon has pointed out, Jesus does not forget us. He is there to reach out a helping hand to bring the heart back into reconciliation with Him.