Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--32--The Centurion  (Read 13041 times)

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--32--The Centurion
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2022, 05:19:59 AM »
"And "if the Spirit of Him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, He that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by His Spirit that dwelleth in you." "For the Lord Himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the Archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord." Romans 8:11; 1 Thessalonians 4:16, 17. This is the word of comfort wherewith He bids us comfort one another."

Amen. What a day that will be. Let's keep before our eyes the vision of what is to come. We are entering upon very troubled times but they are not to last for ever. Soon Jesus will appear to take His people home. May we always hold fast to our faith in Jesus. He will keep us and preserve us from falling into evil as we continually surrender our lives to Him.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2022, 09:50:16 PM »
Amen dear sister!  And what must we do in order to maintain our faith in God? The answer is always the same, we need to behold His love, His grace. It is a misunderstood word. Sadly too many have no idea how to get God's grace or what grace does. In today's reading we read of His grace:

To Jesus this was an earnest of the work which the gospel was to accomplish among the Gentiles. With joy He looked forward to the gathering of souls from all nations to His kingdom. With deep sadness He pictured to the Jews the result of their rejection of His grace: "I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven. But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." Alas, how many are still preparing for the same fatal disappointment! While souls in heathen darkness accept His grace, how many there are in Christian lands upon whom the light shines only to be disregarded. 

Grace surrounds us. We must seek it and allow it into the heart. Grace is the power that transforms sinners into saints. We need fresh supplies each and every day.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2022, 08:00:54 PM »
"The centurion said of himself, "I am not worthy."
"His heart had been touched by the grace of Christ. He saw his own unworthiness."

"Yet he feared not to ask help."

"He trusted not to his own goodness; his argument was his great need."

"His faith took hold upon Christ in His true character."

"He did not believe in Him merely as a worker of miracles, but as the friend and Saviour of mankind."

"It is thus that every sinner may come to Christ."

Jesus our Savior and the Friend of all mankind is still seeking for His lost sheep! What will our response be?? The door of mercy is still open, But "we" must... "INVITE HIM IN"

==========================

Like the woman at the well, I was seeking
For things that could not satisfy.
And then I heard my Savior speaking—
“Draw from My well that never shall run dry.”
    Fill my cup, Lord;
I lift it up Lord;
Come and quench this thirsting of my soul.
Bread of Heaven, feed me till I want no more.
Fill my cup, fill it up and make me whole.
There are millions in this world who are seeking
For pleasures earthly goods afford.
But none can match the wondrous treasure
That I find in Jesus Christ my Lord.
So my brother if the things that this world gives you
Leave hungers that won’t pass away,
My blessed Lord will come and save you
If you kneel to Him and humbly pray.

Lyrics & Music : Richard Blanchard (1925-2004)

Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2022, 06:20:34 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!!

Victory in Jesus is offered us in His word! Let us behold His loveliness, yield the whole heart to Him, and accept His strength and grace to live a holy life that reveals all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing as we affectionately obey God from the new heart He gives us!

"Satan cannot hold the dead in his grasp when the Son of God bids them live. He cannot hold in spiritual death one soul who in faith receives Christ's word of power. God is saying to all who are dead in sin, 'Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead.' Ephesians 5:14. That word is eternal life. As the word of God which bade the first man live, still gives us life; as Christ's word, "Young man, I say unto thee, Arise," gave life to the youth of Nain, so that word, 'Arise from the dead,' is life to the soul that receives it. God 'hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of His dear Son.' Colossians 1:13. It is all offered us in His word. If we receive the word, we have the deliverance." {The Desire of Ages, page 320, paragraph 2}

Christ is more powerful than Satan, and grace is more powerful than sin. The Lord gives us grace and glory, and the grace He gives us now to bear the trials of life is equal to the glory that He offers us in the hereafter. That is is why we can be praising God continually in all circumstances because His faith works by love and purifies our souls in constant union and communion with Him! What a joy it is to know and love God who gave Himself for us to set us free from the power of Satan and make us new creatures in Christ Jesus!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2022, 09:59:02 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean! Grace is more than a word, it is the power that transforms sinners into saints. It touches and cleanses the heart of all who behold it and allow it into the heart.

Amen Brother Beacon!!  The centurion saw his great need and saw Christ's holy character, unlike the blindness of Israel, he believed. How very sad that Israel today is just as blind as were the Jews in Christ's day. But, there are a multitude in the world who are like the centurion seeking truth. Let do all we can to find them.

The Jews had been instructed from childhood concerning the work of the Messiah. The inspired utterances of patriarchs and prophets and the symbolic teaching of the sacrificial service had been theirs. But they had disregarded the light; and now they saw in Jesus nothing to be desired. But the centurion, born in heathenism, educated in the idolatry of imperial Rome, trained as a soldier, seemingly cut off from spiritual life by his education and surroundings, and still further shut out by the bigotry of the Jews, and by the contempt of his own countrymen for the people of Israel,--this man perceived the truth to which the children of Abraham were blinded. He did not wait to see whether the Jews themselves would receive the One who claimed to be their Messiah. As the "light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world" (John 1:9) had shone upon him, he had, though afar off, discerned the glory of the Son of God.
     To Jesus this was an earnest of the work which the gospel was to accomplish among the Gentiles. With joy He looked forward to the gathering of souls from all nations to His kingdom. With deep sadness He pictured to the Jews the result of their rejection of His grace: "I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven. But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." Alas, how many are still preparing for the same fatal disappointment! While souls in heathen darkness accept His grace, how many there are in Christian lands upon whom the light shines only to be disregarded. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2022, 08:02:00 PM »
"The centurion, born in heathenism, educated in the idolatry of imperial Rome, trained as a soldier, seemingly cut off from spiritual life by his education and surroundings, and still further shut out by the bigotry of the Jews, and by the contempt of his own countrymen for the people of Israel...

"...This man perceived the truth to which the children of Abraham were blinded."

"He did not wait to see whether the Jews themselves would receive the One who claimed to be their Messiah. As the "light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world" (John 1:9) had shone upon him."

"He had, though afar off, discerned the glory of the Son of God."

"To Jesus this was an earnest of the work which the gospel was to accomplish among the Gentiles."

"With joy He looked forward to the gathering of souls from all nations to His kingdom."

Dear Friends - Jesus has many in " ALL " walks of life who are searching for something better. Are "WE" willing to be God's messengers to them or are "WE" content to think that "WE" are saved and that's all that matters? God forbid that we would ever hear Jesus say to us. "Depart from me - ye who work iniquity, I never knew you!! "

=============================

Living for Jesus a life that is true,
Striving to please Him in all that I do;
Yielding allegiance, glad-hearted and free,
This is the pathway of blessing for me.
    O Jesus, Lord and Savior,
I give myself to Thee,
For Thou, in Thy [redemption],*
Didst give Thyself for me;
I own no other Master,
My heart shall be Thy throne,
My life I give, henceforth to live,
O Christ, for Thee alone.
Living for Jesus who died in my place,
Bearing on Calv’ry my sin and disgrace;
Such love constrains me to answer His call,
Follow His leading and give Him my all.
Living for Jesus wherever I am,
Doing each duty in His holy name;
Willing to suffer affliction and loss,
Deeming each trial a part of my cross.
Living for Jesus through earth’s little while,
My dearest treasure, the light of His smile;
Seeking the lost ones He died to redeem,
Bringing the weary to find rest in Him.
The Compilers prefer that
the New Testament word, “redemption,”
be used and sung instead of “atonement.”

Lyrics:Thomas Obediah Chisholm (1866-1960)
Music:Carl Harold Lowden (1883-1963)

Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2022, 04:38:26 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!!

Who is being drawn to Christ? All of us! Even the centurion who came to Christ to have his servant healed chose to trust the word of God as the assurance that the servant would be healed simply by the word of God, and the word of God only! Let us not set up expectations beyond God's word in our lives, but let what He says be true in our life and character by surrender of the heart, mind and will to Jesus! Then in such a converted experience all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will spontaneously be manifest in and through us to the glory of God even as we learn to walk as Jesus walked in affectionate obedience to God's law of love!

"The Jews had been instructed from childhood concerning the work of the Messiah. The inspired utterances of patriarchs and prophets and the symbolic teaching of the sacrificial service had been theirs. But they had disregarded the light; and now they saw in Jesus nothing to be desired. But the centurion, born in heathenism, educated in the idolatry of imperial Rome, trained as a soldier, seemingly cut off from spiritual life by his education and surroundings, and still further shut out by the bigotry of the Jews, and by the contempt of his own countrymen for the people of Israel,--this man perceived the truth to which the children of Abraham were blinded. He did not wait to see whether the Jews themselves would receive the One who claimed to be their Messiah. As the 'light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world' (John 1:9) had shone upon him, he had, though afar off, discerned the glory of the Son of God." {The Desire of Ages, page 317, paragraph 3}

What a blessing to walk in the light that shines on our path and go forth today to bless others! May this be your genuine experience in Christ!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2022, 07:19:52 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean! And if the fruits of the Spirit are manifested in the life, then the Spirit dwells in us. And if the Spirit dwells in us, then Christ will either translate us or raise us from the grave to dwell with Him forever in a world without sin!!!

And "if the Spirit of Him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, He that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by His Spirit that dwelleth in you." "For the Lord Himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the Archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord." Romans 8:11; 1 Thessalonians 4:16, 17. This is the word of comfort wherewith He bids us comfort one another.   

"With joy He looked forward to the gathering of souls from all nations to His kingdom."[/b][/u][/font][/size][/color]

Amen Brother Beacon!!  And so do we!!