Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--32--The Centurion  (Read 16402 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--32--The Centurion
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2023, 06:28:53 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean! As it was then, so it is today.  "While souls in heathen darkness accept His grace, how many there are in Christian lands upon whom the light shines only to be disregarded."

"When Jesus heard these things, He marveled at him, and turned Him about, and said unto the people that followed Him, I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel." And to the centurion He said, "As thou hast believed, so be it done unto thee. And his servant was healed in the selfsame hour."
     The Jewish elders who recommended the centurion to Christ had shown how far they were from possessing the spirit of the gospel. They did not recognize that our great need is our only claim on God's mercy. In their self-righteousness they commended the centurion because of the favor he had shown to "our nation." But the centurion said of himself, "I am not worthy." His heart had been touched by the grace of Christ. He saw his own unworthiness; yet he feared not to ask help. He trusted not to his own goodness; his argument was his great need. His faith took hold upon Christ in His true character. He did not believe in Him merely as a worker of miracles, but as the friend and Saviour of mankind.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Philip T

« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2023, 07:53:11 AM »
    Amen Pastor Sean and Richard.

It is thus that every sinner may come to Christ. "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us." Titus 3:5. When Satan tells you that you are a sinner, and cannot hope to receive blessing from God, tell him that Christ came into the world to save sinners. We have nothing to recommend us to God; but the plea that we may urge now and ever is our utterly helpless condition that makes His redeeming power a necessity. Renouncing all self-dependence, we may look to the cross of Calvary and say,--

"In my hand no price I bring;
               Simply to Thy cross I cling."
[/b]

This chapter was full of the promise of God's grace and love, and power, We see the only way to Redemption/forgiveness of sins. Is to confess them to Jesus, admitting we are helpless to recommend outselves to Christ. And it is Jesus redeeming power that only can save us. We have nothing of ourselves that can redeem us, only the blood of Christ.

Beacon

« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2023, 11:04:21 AM »
"The centurion, born in heathenism, educated in the idolatry of imperial Rome, trained as a soldier, seemingly cut off from spiritual life by his education and surroundings, and still further shut out by the bigotry of the Jews, and by the contempt of his own countrymen"

"This man perceived the truth to which the children of Abraham were blinded.... he had, though afar off, discerned the glory of the Son of God."

"To Jesus this was an earnest of the work which the gospel was to accomplish among the Gentiles. With joy He looked forward to the gathering of souls from all nations to His kingdom."

" With deep sadness He pictured to the Jews the result of their rejection of His grace: "I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.

"But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

"Alas, how many are still preparing for the same fatal disappointment! While souls in heathen darkness accept His grace, how many there are in Christian lands upon whom the light shines only to be disregarded."

Perhaps it's time for us to do another spiritual introspection of our own lives??

======================
Not I, but Christ be honored, loved, exalted,
Not I, but Christ be seen, be known and heard;
Not I, but Christ in every look and action,
Not I, but Christ in every thought and word.
    Oh, to be saved from myself, dear Lord,
  Oh, to be lost in Thee,
Oh, that it may be no more I,
    But Christ that lives in me.
Not I, but Christ to gently soothe in sorrow,
Not I, but Christ to wipe the falling tear;
Not I, but Christ to lift the weary burden,
Not I, but Christ to hush away all fear.
Christ, only Christ, no idle word e’er falling,
Christ, only Christ, no needless bustling sound;
Christ, only Christ, no self-important bearing,
Christ, only Christ, no trace of I be found.
Not I, but Christ my every need supplying,
Not I, but Christ my strength and health to be;
Christ, only Christ, for spirit, soul, and body,
Christ, only Christ, live then Thy life in me.
Christ, only Christ, ere long will fill my vision,
Glory excelling soon, full soon I’ll see;
Christ, only Christ, my every wish fulfilling,
Christ, only Christ, my all in all to be.

Lyrics:Mrs. Ada A. Whiddington (1891)
Music:Albert Benjamin Simpson (1843-1919)

Look up and listen for the shout.

Beacon

« Reply #103 on: October 03, 2023, 09:29:37 PM »
"The Jews had been instructed from childhood concerning the work of the Messiah."

"The inspired utterances of patriarchs and prophets and the symbolic teaching of the sacrificial service had been theirs."
 "But they had disregarded the light; and now they saw in Jesus nothing to be desired."
"However, the centurion, born in heathenism, educated in the idolatry of imperial Rome, trained as a soldier, seemingly cut off from spiritual life by his education and surroundings, and still further shut out by the bigotry of the Jews, and by the contempt of his own countrymen for the people of Israel,--this man perceived the truth to which the children of Abraham were blinded.... he had, though afar off, discerned the glory of the Son of God."

"To Jesus this was an earnest of the work which the gospel was to accomplish among the Gentiles."

"With joy He looked forward to the gathering of souls from all nations to His kingdom."

"With deep sadness He pictured to the Jews the result of their rejection of His grace."

"I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven. But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

"Alas, how many are still preparing for the same fatal disappointment"

This is a "Heavy" Read!!  A very thought provoking message to all of us in the time of the end. Jesus said...You are either for me or against me!! Are "WE" willing confess our Spiritual Lethargy.  Are "WE" willing to keel at the foot of the cross and say... "Lord, I've wandered far away from you... but now I'm coming home."

================================
I’ve wandered far away from God,
  Now I’m coming home;
The paths of sin too long I’ve trod,
  Lord, I’m coming home.
    Coming home, coming home,
  Nevermore to roam;
Open wide Thine arms of love;
    Lord, I’m coming home.
I’ve wasted many precious years,
  Now I’m coming home;
I now repent with bitter tears,
  Lord, I’m coming home.
I’m tired of sin and straying, Lord,
  Now I’m coming home;
I’ll trust Thy love, believe Thy word;
  Lord, I’m coming home.
My soul is sick, my heart is sore,
  Now I’m coming home;
My strength renew, my hope restore:
  Lord, I’m coming home.
My only hope, my only plea,
  Now I’m coming home;
That Jesus died, and died for me;
  Lord, I’m coming home.
I need His cleansing blood, I know,
  Now I’m coming home;
O wash me whiter than the snow;
  Lord, I’m coming home.

Lyrics:William James Kirkpatrick (1838-1921)
Music:William James Kirkpatrick (1838-1921)

"While souls in heathen darkness accept His grace, how many there are in Christian lands upon whom the light shines only to be disregarded!! Which group will we belong to when Jesus comes second time??
[/color]

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #104 on: October 04, 2023, 07:33:59 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! I choose to respond to Christ's grace and walk with Him through His power! Salvation is valuable--an infinite gift!!

Are you worthy? In the way the Jewish leaders approach Jesus, in contrast to the self-distrust manifested by the Centurion, we learn a valuable lesson about the nature of how we can approach God for help. (He is not asking for you to bring a resume--but just admit you need His help!)

"The Jewish elders who recommended the centurion to Christ had shown how far they were from possessing the spirit of the gospel. They did not recognize that our great need is our only claim on God's mercy. In their self-righteousness they commended the centurion because of the favor he had shown to 'our nation.' But the centurion said of himself, 'I am not worthy.' His heart had been touched by the grace of Christ. He saw his own unworthiness; yet he feared not to ask help. He trusted not to his own goodness; his argument was his great need. His faith took hold upon Christ in His true character. He did not believe in Him merely as a worker of miracles, but as the friend and Saviour of mankind." {The Desire of Ages, page 316, paragraph 4}

Christ is a friend and Saviour, inviting all to come to Him just as they are, sinful and unworthy. His divine grace has power to transform the rebellious heart of unbelief that is fully surrendered to Him into a new heart filled with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing, empowering affectionate obedience to all of God's commandments! The converted soul is made worthy through the merits of Christ in such a humble way that the glory goes to God--not self.
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2023, 08:29:10 PM »
Amen my dear brothers!  Such an important lesson for us as a people to learn. As Israel was chosen by God, so it is today. Because they and we were entrusted with the sacred oracles of God does not mean we will be in heaven. If we do not do the work entrusted to us, then God will bring into His church those who will.

The Jews had been instructed from childhood concerning the work of the Messiah. The inspired utterances of patriarchs and prophets and the symbolic teaching of the sacrificial service had been theirs. But they had disregarded the light; and now they saw in Jesus nothing to be desired. But the centurion, born in heathenism, educated in the idolatry of imperial Rome, trained as a soldier, seemingly cut off from spiritual life by his education and surroundings, and still further shut out by the bigotry of the Jews, and by the contempt of his own countrymen for the people of Israel,--this man perceived the truth to which the children of Abraham were blinded. He did not wait to see whether the Jews themselves would receive the One who claimed to be their Messiah. As the "light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world" (John 1:9) had shone upon him, he had, though afar off, discerned the glory of the Son of God.
     To Jesus this was an earnest of the work which the gospel was to accomplish among the Gentiles. With joy He looked forward to the gathering of souls from all nations to His kingdom. With deep sadness He pictured to the Jews the result of their rejection of His grace: "I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven. But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." Alas, how many are still preparing for the same fatal disappointment! While souls in heathen darkness accept His grace, how many there are in Christian lands upon whom the light shines only to be disregarded.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2023, 08:13:35 PM »
"To Jesus this was an earnest of the work which the gospel was to accomplish among the Gentiles".

"With joy He looked forward to the gathering of souls from all nations to His kingdom."

"With deep sadness He pictured to the Jews the result of their rejection of His grace."

"I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven."

"But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

"Alas, how many are still preparing for the same fatal disappointment!"

"While souls in heathen darkness accept His grace, how many there are in Christian lands upon whom the light shines only to be disregarded."

How it must make Jesus sad to see so many who are making the wrong choices when the full price of their redemption has been paid. Let's make sure that "WE" are willing to say "yes" and by His Grace be among the saved. The Choice is Ours!

========================
Come, every soul by sin oppressed,
  There’s mercy with the Lord;
And He will surely give you rest
  By trusting in His Word.
    Only trust Him! Only trust Him!
  Only trust Him now!
He will save you! He will save you!
    He will save you now!
For Jesus shed His precious blood
  Rich blessings to bestow;
Plunge now into the crimson flood
  That washeth white as snow.
Yes, Jesus is the Truth, the Way,
  That leads you into rest;
Believe in Him without delay,
  And you are fully blest.
Come then, and join the holy band,
  And on to glory go;
In Christ’s redemption take your stand,
  And all His goodness know.

Lyrics:John Hart Stockton (1813-1877)
Music:John Hart Stockton (1813-1877)

Philip T

« Reply #107 on: December 30, 2023, 04:08:25 AM »
  The Jewish elders who recommended the centurion to Christ had shown how far they were from possessing the spirit of the gospel. They did not recognize that our great need is our only claim on God's mercy. In their self-righteousness they commended the centurion because of the favor he had shown to "our nation." But the centurion said of himself, "I am not worthy." His heart had been touched by the grace of Christ. He saw his own unworthiness; yet he feared not to ask help. He trusted not to his own goodness; his argument was his great need. His faith took hold upon Christ in His true character. He did not believe in Him merely as a worker of miracles, but as the friend and Saviour of mankind.

It is a humble spirit that God is looking for, a faith in His power not our own the brings a smile to Jesus face, the character is the only thing we will bring to heaven with us, and as Jesus is our example, we should be perfecting our character through Jesus to be like His.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #108 on: December 30, 2023, 05:15:38 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Brother Philip!

Happy Sabbath! As we see the true heart of God in Christ--a heart of unchangeable tenderness--we can know that in coming to Him, He is able to comfort and bless us just the way we most need. He is able to convert our inmost soul, purifying the springs of motives, purposes, thoughts, and feelings to be in perfect harmony with His unselfish law of love in a life filled with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing! If Jesus has power to raise the dead, He CERTAINLY has power to make and keep us from sin, which leads to death. He can give you spiritual life that will not fail, for it is Him living in you, the hope of glory! Trust Him FULLY!!

"He who stood beside the sorrowing mother at the gate of Nain, watches with every mourning one beside the bier. He is touched with sympathy for our grief. His heart, that loved and pitied, is a heart of unchangeable tenderness. His word, that called the dead to life, is no less efficacious now than when spoken to the young man of Nain. He says, 'All power is given unto Me in heaven and in earth.' Matthew 28:18. That power is not diminished by the lapse of years, nor exhausted by the ceaseless activity of His overflowing grace. To all who believe on Him He is still a living Saviour." {The Desire of Ages, page 319, paragraph 1}
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2023, 06:28:17 AM »

It is thus that every sinner may come to Christ. "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us." Titus 3:5. When Satan tells you that you are a sinner, and cannot hope to receive blessing from God, tell him that Christ came into the world to save sinners. We have nothing to recommend us to God; but the plea that we may urge now and ever is our utterly helpless condition that makes His redeeming power a necessity. Renouncing all self-dependence, we may look to the cross of Calvary and say,--
"In my hand no price I bring;          
Simply to Thy cross I cling."

Such a contrast between the sincere faith of the centurion and the self righteous Jewish leaders. Of ourselves no one is worthy for we are all sinners. But when Jesus comes into the heart we are made worthy by the perfect life of Jesus and He transforms us into His character. What an exchange! It thrills my heart to meditate on the life of Jesus and all that He has done for you and me.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #110 on: December 31, 2023, 06:50:11 AM »
Amen my dear brothers and sister! God's love is not deserved, but He reveals His love to even the worst of sinners!

And yes, Brother Beacon. What a joy it is to find those whom the Holy Spirit leads to us as we search far and near for them!

The Jews had been instructed from childhood concerning the work of the Messiah. The inspired utterances of patriarchs and prophets and the symbolic teaching of the sacrificial service had been theirs. But they had disregarded the light; and now they saw in Jesus nothing to be desired. But the centurion, born in heathenism, educated in the idolatry of imperial Rome, trained as a soldier, seemingly cut off from spiritual life by his education and surroundings, and still further shut out by the bigotry of the Jews, and by the contempt of his own countrymen for the people of Israel,--this man perceived the truth to which the children of Abraham were blinded. He did not wait to see whether the Jews themselves would receive the One who claimed to be their Messiah. As the "light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world" (John 1:9) had shone upon him, he had, though afar off, discerned the glory of the Son of God.
     To Jesus this was an earnest of the work which the gospel was to accomplish among the Gentiles. With joy He looked forward to the gathering of souls from all nations to His kingdom. With deep sadness He pictured to the Jews the result of their rejection of His grace: "I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven. But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." Alas, how many are still preparing for the same fatal disappointment! While souls in heathen darkness accept His grace, how many there are in Christian lands upon whom the light shines only to be disregarded. 

Beacon

« Reply #111 on: March 24, 2024, 08:02:06 PM »
"The centurion, born in heathenism, educated in the idolatry of imperial Rome, trained as a soldier, seemingly cut off from spiritual life by his education and surroundings, was still further shut out by the bigotry of the Jews, and by the contempt of his own countrymen for the people of Israel."

"This man perceived the truth to which the children of Abraham were blinded."

"He did not wait to see whether the Jews themselves would receive the One who claimed to be their Messiah."

"As the "light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world" (John 1:9) had shone upon him, he had, though afar off, discerned the glory of the Son of God."

Isn't that Amazing!! - The Centurion recognized Jesus when the Jewish nation was rejecting Him!!  How careful we should be when claiming to be followers of Jesus, but not practicing His principles in our daily life, "WE" are actually rejecting Jesus!!

===========================

O soul, are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There’s light for a look at the Savior,
And life more abundant and free.
    Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
  In the light of His glory and grace.
Through death into life everlasting
He passed, and we follow Him there;
O’er us sin no more hath dominion
For more than conqu’rors we are!
His Word shall not fail you, He promised;
Believe Him and all will be well;
Then go to a world that is dying,
His perfect salvation to tell!

Lyrics:Helen Howarth Lemmel (1863-1961)
Music:Helen Howarth Lemmel (1863-1961)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #112 on: March 25, 2024, 06:48:40 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! It’s such a blessing to be with Brother Richard this morning on the way to the Sacramento airport! We are rejoicing in sharing the loveliness of Jesus!

What wondrous love we see in Jesus! He can raise the dead! He can also raise us from spiritual death and give us life more abundantly as we surrender fully to Jesus! Such a miracle of conversion is manifest in all of the fruit of the Spirit without one missing as one is empowered to walk in all the light God has revealed in true obedience!

“He who stood beside the sorrowing mother at the gate of Nain, watches with every mourning one beside the bier. He is touched with sympathy for our grief. His heart, that loved and pitied, is a heart of unchangeable tenderness. His word, that called the dead to life, is no less efficacious now than when spoken to the young man of Nain. He says, ‘All power is given unto Me in heaven and in earth.’ Matthew 28:18. That power is not diminished by the lapse of years, nor exhausted by the ceaseless activity of His overflowing grace. To all who believe on Him He is still a living Saviour.” {The Desire of Ages, page 319, paragraph he 1}

May this day be filled with divine appointments of His love and saving grace! Let others know what Jesus has done for you!!

Dorine

« Reply #113 on: March 25, 2024, 06:53:36 AM »
"Satan cannot hold the dead in his grasp when the Son of God bids them live. He cannot hold in spiritual death one soul who in faith receives Christ's word of power. God is saying to all who are dead in sin, "Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead." Ephesians 5:14. That word is eternal life. As the word of God which bade the first man live, still gives us life; as Christ's word, "Young man, I say unto thee, Arise," gave life to the youth of Nain, so that word, "Arise from the dead," is life to the soul that receives it. God "hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of His dear Son." Colossians 1:13. It is all offered us in His word. If we receive the word, we have the deliverance."

The word of God is powerful. When we in faith and with an open mind and heart, open God's word and digest the contents we will not only be delivered from evil but we will be kept from evil. That's the life we live in Jesus and it brings such peace and joy to our souls that we want to share it so that everyone may experience it for themselves.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #114 on: March 25, 2024, 09:35:44 PM »
Amen my dear brothers and sister! What a beautiful revelation of faith, not from Israel, but from a Roman!

Speak but the word, and my servant shall be healed.
     "When Jesus heard these things, He marveled at him, and turned Him about, and said unto the people that followed Him, I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel." And to the centurion He said, "As thou hast believed, so be it done unto thee. And his servant was healed in the selfsame hour."