Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--29--The Sabbath  (Read 14717 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--29--The Sabbath
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2017, 06:48:49 AM »
Amen, Richard!

I am thankful that the truth of the seventh-day Sabbath was a seed planted by my mom in my life in my youth, as she taught me from Exodus 20:8-11 that the Sabbath is the seventh day, and I would later come to faith as a Seventh-day Adventist Christian after my dad and mom died--and I still hold firm with joy the Advent faith that Jesus is coming again soon! I am so thankful for Jesus, the Lord of the Sabbath, because He came to show us that this day was to be used to save souls, and bless others!

"Christ would teach His disciples and His enemies that the service of God is first of all. The object of God's work in this world is the redemption of man; therefore that which is necessary to be done on the Sabbath in the accomplishment of this work is in accord with the Sabbath law. Jesus then crowned His argument by declaring Himself the 'Lord of the Sabbath,'--One above all question and above all law. This infinite Judge acquits the disciples of blame, appealing to the very statutes they are accused of violating." {The Desire of Ages, page 285, paragraph 3}

Thank the Lord that He gives us an entire day to commune with Him in a more focused way--a sign of the common we get to enjoy with Him through accepting the gospel that brings us all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing when Christ abides in our hearts by faith. This is the true rest of the Sabbath--a rest from self, abiding in Jesus' loveliness of character! Hallelujah!!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 04:09:04 AM »
Jesus loves us so much that He gave us an entire day to be devoted to special communion with Him in corporate worship (Leviticus 23:3) and the joy of spending time with Him in nature and His word. Praise God for the gift of the Sabbath!!

And the Lord says, “If thou turn away thy foot from the Sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on My holy day; and call the Sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honorable; ... then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord.” Isaiah 58:13, 14. To all who receive the Sabbath as a sign of Christ’s creative and redeeming power, it will be a delight. Seeing Christ in it, they delight themselves in Him. The Sabbath points them to the works of creation as an evidence of His mighty power in redemption. While it calls to mind the lost peace of Eden, it tells of peace restored through the Saviour. And every object in nature repeats His invitation, “Come unto Me, all ye that labor and are heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28. – {The Desire of Ages, page 289, paragraph 1}
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2018, 06:57:49 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. The Sabbath is a memorial pointing us to Gods creative power and great love. While it was a great blessing for Adam and Eve before they fell, how much more important is it for us who have need to be recreated! We need to be reminded of His creative power that we are dependent upon to be transformed in our very nature.

Because He had rested upon the Sabbath, "God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it,"--set it apart to a holy use. He gave it to Adam as a day of rest. It was a memorial of the work of creation, and thus a sign of God's power and His love. The Scripture says, "He hath made His wonderful works to be remembered." "The things that are made," declare "the invisible things of Him since the creation of the world," "even His everlasting power and divinity." Genesis 2:3; Psalm 111:4; Romans 1:20, R. V.

Because of the great deceptions that have come into the church, many will disagree with this thought, that God has power to transform sinners into saints, to make a repentant sinner holy. But, in today's reading we find it to be true.

The Sabbath "declares that He who created all things in heaven and in earth, and by whom all things hold together, is the head of the church, and that by His power we are reconciled to God. For, speaking of Israel, He said, "I gave them My Sabbaths, to be a sign between Me and them, that they might know that I am the Lord that sanctify them,"--make them holy. Ezekiel 20:12. Then the Sabbath is a sign of Christ's power to make us holy. And it is given to all whom Christ makes holy. As a sign of His sanctifying power, the Sabbath is given to all who through Christ become a part of the Israel of God. 

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2018, 08:14:46 AM »
I was blessed to reflect this morning on how God invites us to serve Him in rest and joy in connection with the Sabbath.

"It is the service of love that God values." {The Desire of Ages, page 286, paragraph 1}

I pray that the principle of Christ's selfless love may flow in all He gives me to do. We may each have this experience of His love working in and through us when we become vitally connected with Christ and yield the whole heart to Him so He can purify it, imbue us with His Spirit, and transform our characters. "God is love" (1 John 4:8).

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2018, 08:17:23 AM »
Amen Pastor Shawn. God looks upon the heart. He wants the heart, the whole heart. In order to give him the whole heart, we must love him supremely. In order to love him supremely, we need to know him. Thus, the Sabbath day was given to mankind. It is a token of his love and Power. It is the love of God, the revealing of Grace, that transforms Sinners into Saints. If we would spend a Sabbath day contemplating the love of God, spending time in nature, be holding his wonderful works, we would be reminded of His great love for humanity. And, we would be reminded of His creative power which will re-create us in His image if we will spend time with Him, that we might know Him.

"Wherefore the Son of man is Lord also of the Sabbath." These words are full of instruction and comfort. Because the Sabbath was made for man, it is the Lord's day. It belongs to Christ. For "all things were made by Him; and without Him was not anything made that was made." John 1:3. Since He made all things, He made the Sabbath. By Him it was set apart as a memorial of the work of creation. It points to Him as both the Creator and the Sanctifier. It declares that He who created all things in heaven and in earth, and by whom all things hold together, is the head of the church, and that by His power we are reconciled to God. For, speaking of Israel, He said, "I gave them My Sabbaths, to be a sign between Me and them, that they might know that I am the Lord that sanctify them,"--make them holy. Ezekiel 20:12. Then the Sabbath is a sign of Christ's power to make us holy. And it is given to all whom Christ makes holy. As a sign of His sanctifying power, the Sabbath is given to all who through Christ become a part of the Israel of God. 

When ministers teach that God does not make man holy, then you may know there is apostasy in the church. God has power to make man holy. And, the Bible teaches this from  Genesis to Revelation. It is the great deception in the church that man will enter heaven without having been made holy. What will you believe? The Bible or faulty erring man?

"For thou [art] an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that [are] upon the earth." Deuteronomy 14:2.

"But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life." Romans 6:22.

"Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God." 2 Cor.7:1.

"And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness." Eph. 4:24.

"To the end he may stablish your hearts unblameable in holiness before God, even our Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all his saints." 1 Thess. 3:13.

"Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14.

It is God's grace that transforms sinners into saints. We must feed upon that grace daily if we want to be partakers of God's divine nature and His holiness.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2018, 11:00:02 AM »
What better time to reflect on the Sabbath day than on the preparation day. The words of this chapter I will take with me throughout the day as I happily work about the house.

"He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might He increaseth strength." "Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of My righteousness." "Look unto Me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else." This is the message written in nature, which the Sabbath is appointed to keep in memory. When the Lord bade Israel hallow His Sabbaths, He said, "They shall be a sign between Me and you, that ye may know that I am Jehovah your God." Isaiah 40:18-29; 41:10; 45:22; Ezekiel 20:20, R. V"
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2018, 02:10:19 AM »
Why do you like to give gifts to those you love? Is it not that each time they enjoy that gift, or look upon it, or experience it (whatever the gift may be), they are joyfully reminded of the relationship you share with them? Is that not how God is with us, in giving us Himself in Christ, and an entire day each week to spend with Him as a special gift of His love? My acceptance of a gift you give me in no way shows that I have "earned" your favor, but rather that I appreciate the giver! So it is with all who gladly receive Jesus, and His gift of the Sabbath, for time is the currency of life, and that is what builds relationship!

Praise God for how He invites us to rest in Him, for a full heart surrender brings to us experientially the holiness and righteousness of Christ by faith who alone can give us a new heart and mind overflowing with gratitude to Him for the gift of His salvation! May we ever see Christ in the gift of His Sabbath as it comes each week from Friday sundown to Saturday sundown--never as something we earn, but as an evidence of how deeply our hearts and lives appreciate who He is to us, who gives us His grace to be made holy!

"And the Lord says, 'If thou turn away thy foot from the Sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on My holy day; and call the Sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honorable; . . . then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord.' Isaiah 58:13, 14. To all who receive the Sabbath as a sign of Christ's creative and redeeming power, it will be a delight. Seeing Christ in it, they delight themselves in Him. The Sabbath points them to the works of creation as an evidence of His mighty power in redemption. While it calls to mind the lost peace of Eden, it tells of peace restored through the Saviour. And every object in nature repeats His invitation, 'Come unto Me, all ye that labor and are heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28." {The Desire of Ages, page 289, paragraph 1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2018, 04:55:02 AM »
All of the truth as it is in Jesus will guide and elevate us to behold Him in His real character. But the enemy of our souls has sought to cause confusion and to take the precious gems of truth and put a false construction on them. The Holy Spirit has been teaching me that rather than enter into controversy with someone who believes a mixture of truth and error, live the truth in Jesus, and, when questions or opportunities arise, present the Scriptures in their true framework. This Jesus did, and He will minister and speak through us to others who are open to truth. Let us prayerfully watch and pray that today we may seek those around us who have been confused by a mixture of truth and error, but who will be encouraged and blessed by a pure, clear presentation as it is in Jesus. In order to do this aright, we need Christ living in us, exuding all of the fruits of His Spirit without one missing, so that even the tones of our voice and the expression of our countenance reflects the sunlight of heaven. With God all things are possible!

"The Saviour had not come to set aside what patriarchs and prophets had spoken; for He Himself had spoken through these representative men. All the truths of God's word came from Him. But these priceless gems had been placed in false settings. Their precious light had been made to minister to error. God desired them to be removed from their settings of error and replaced in the framework of truth. This work only a divine hand could accomplish. By its connection with error, the truth had been serving the cause of the enemy of God and man. Christ had come to place it where it would glorify God, and work the salvation of humanity." {The Desire of Ages, page 287, paragraph 4}

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2018, 06:56:40 AM »
Amen pastor Sean. I remember when I first came across a similar truth that one needs not to answer every objection but keep presenting truth. It was a new thought for me. Definitely not the way I had been doing in the past. 

Christ would teach His disciples and His enemies that the service of God is first of all. The object of God's work in this world is the redemption of man; therefore that which is necessary to be done on the Sabbath in the accomplishment of this work is in accord with the Sabbath law. Jesus then crowned His argument by declaring Himself the "Lord of the Sabbath,"--One above all question and above all law. This infinite Judge acquits the disciples of blame, appealing to the very statutes they are accused of violating.

Here again we find us the object of His concern and love. His object is the redemption of man.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2018, 09:58:47 PM »
Many Christians, and even many in God's church miss the reason why we have a rest day every week.  It is part of God's plan to keep us from sinning by knowing our God. God rested on the seventh day and blessed it for our sake. The Sabbath is a memorial of God's creation. How does that  keep us from sinning? What He made points   us to Him  who made it   all. Thus all are without  excuse for knowing Him. And, we being evil by nature even  after we know His character are likely to forget Him who gave all for us. He wants us to each week to take time to see and reflect on His love and creative  power.

Because He had rested upon the Sabbath, "God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it,"--set it apart to a holy use. He gave it to Adam as a day of rest. It was a memorial of the work of creation, and thus a sign of God's power and His love. The Scripture says, "He hath made His wonderful works to be remembered." "The things that are made," declare "the invisible things of Him since the creation of the world," "even His everlasting power and divinity." Genesis 2:3; Psalm 111:4; Romans 1:20, R. V.

Beacon

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2018, 08:54:39 PM »
" The Sabbath was hallowed at the creation. As ordained for man, it had it's origin when "the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy." Job 38:7 Peace brooded over the world; for earth was in harmony with heaven. "God saw everything that He had made, and, behold , it was very good;" and He rested in the joy of His completed work. Genesis 1:31"

The Bible says, "If thou turn away thy foot from the Sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on My holy day; and call the Sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honorable; then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord."  Isaiah 58:13, 14. To all who receive the Sabbath as a sign of Christ's creative and redeeming power, it will be a delight. The Sabbath points us to the works of creation as an evidence of His mighty power. I also calls to mind the lost peace of Eden, it tells of peace restored through the Saviour. And every object in nature repeats His invitation, "Come unto Me, all ye that labor and are heavy-laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28."

After creating the world in six literal days, Jesus gave mankind the Sabbath as a day to reflect and rejoice over the beautiful things that had been provided by Jesus. It was and still is like a birthday celebration. A day of rest in which to contemplate the Goodness of our Creator God. A time to praise and worship Him. The Sabbath was given as sign of God's ownership. Many people refer to the Seventh-day Sabbath as being given just to the Jews but when it was given there was only Adam & Eve. God intended it to be for all those who would come from the union of Adam and Eve. Sunday the first day of the week was the day that Jesus arose from the tomb. Therefore there should be no argument as to Saturday being the 7th Day of the week.

Let me share an example of how important this command is to worship God as He commanded of the Seventh-day ( Saturday ) and not on (Sunday) the 1st day of the week. If you and I set up a meeting to discuss a business deal next Monday at 11am at a certain location but you decide to meet me on Tuesday at 11 am are we going to meet?  Of course not!.

The Catholic church of today claims that "they changed the day of worship from Saturday ( the 7th day ) to Sunday ( the 1st day ) By the authority of the church. However, you can search the Bible from cover to cover and not find any command from God to change the day of worship. The 4th commandment calls for the 7thday ( Saturday ) to be the day of worship. This means that each us have to chose whether to Obey God or some man made substitute   

As for me and my house we have chosen to listen to God's original instructions and worship Him on the day He set aside. There is a hymn called " Trust & Obey " which includes these words... " Trust and Obey for there's no other way - To be Happy in Jesus, But to Trust and Obey, I believe this is good counsel for all of us today....How about you?
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2018, 05:00:12 AM »
Amen, Beacon! The Sabbath is an incredible gift to us in Christ, but apart from Christ we cannot keep the Sabbath holy, for only His presence abiding in us, and filling us with His love, enables us to render loving, heartfelt obedience to Him. The Holy Spirit helped me understand recently that unless we are converted with Christ abiding in the new heart by a living faith surrender, our service will inevitably degenerate into one of two other false motives for serving God: fear of being lost, or hope of getting a reward (and often we fall so far from this in self that we stop even maintain the form of obedience and actually commit open sin). Thankfully, Jesus Himself can implant the true motive for service and worship, and the true Sabbath of the seventh day of the week is a perpetual reminder of His love and grace to make us holy. Let us receive the gift of Christ in the very day He offers us--so we are enabled through Him to live a loving, holy life!!

"Again Christ reiterated the truth that the sacrifices were in themselves of no value. They were a means, and not an end. Their object was to direct men to the Saviour, and thus to bring them into harmony with God. It is the service of love that God values. When this is lacking, the mere round of ceremony is an offense to Him. So with the Sabbath. It was designed to bring men into communion with God; but when the mind was absorbed with wearisome rites, the object of the Sabbath was thwarted. Its mere outward observance was a mockery." {The Desire of Ages, page 286, paragraph 1}

Dorine

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2018, 07:37:58 AM »
And the Lord says, "If thou turn away thy foot from the Sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on My holy day; and call the Sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honorable; . . . then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord." Isaiah 58:13, 14. To all who receive the Sabbath as a sign of Christ's creative and redeeming power, it will be a delight. Seeing Christ in it, they delight themselves in Him. The Sabbath points them to the works of creation as an evidence of His mighty power in redemption. While it calls to mind the lost peace of Eden, it tells of peace restored through the Saviour. And every object in nature repeats His invitation, "Come unto Me, all ye that labor and are heavy-laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28.

My thoughts are a bit disjointed this morning so I've put them in bullet form rather than a paragraph.
  • Ever since sin entered Christ has been active in the work of redeeming us and recreating us into His image.
  • While He was here on earth it is interesting to note how often He chose the Sabbath to perform a miracle. His motive was to show the people the true meaning of the Sabbath in contrast to the endless rules the Priests had set up that were impossible to remember let alone keep.
  • He will go to any length within God's will; even to the cross, to reveal His great love for us. All He asks for in return is our hearts. In giving our hearts we are giving our service in obedience to God's word.
  • I love how merciful He was even towards His enemies. Even His rebukes were bathed in patient love. He is no different today. He hates the sins we commit but He poured out His life for us on Calvary making it possible for everyone that comes to Him through repentance and confession to have eternal life. What more could He do? What more could He offer?
And I love this promise; "To all who receive the Sabbath as a sign of Christ's creative and redeeming power, it will be a delight. Seeing Christ in it, they delight themselves in Him"
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2019, 10:02:46 PM »
"The Sabbath was not for Israel merely, but for the world. It had been made known to man in Eden, and, like the other precepts of the Decalogue, it is of imperishable obligation. Of that law of which the fourth commandment forms a part, Christ declares, "Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in nowise pass from the law." So long as the heavens and the earth endure, the Sabbath will continue as a sign of the Creator's power. And when Eden shall bloom on earth again, God's holy rest day will be honored by all beneath the sun. "From one Sabbath to another" the inhabitants of the glorified new earth shall go up "to worship before Me, saith the Lord." Matthew 5:18; Isaiah 66:23."

Jesus said,  " If You Love Me -- Keep My Commandments " It is a covenant sign between each one of us and Jesus. If we chose not to obey we are showing and making known our disregard of and to our Creator.

"As the Jews departed from God, and failed to make the righteousness of Christ their own by faith, the Sabbath lost its significance to them. Satan was seeking to exalt himself and to draw men away from Christ, and he worked to pervert the Sabbath, because it is the sign of the power of Christ. The Jewish leaders accomplished the will of Satan by surrounding God's rest day with burdensome requirements. In the days of Christ the Sabbath had become so perverted that its observance reflected the character of selfish and arbitrary men rather than the character of the loving heavenly Father"

There is no text in the Bible indicating any command of Jesus which changed the 7th day Sabbath(Saturday) to the 1st day of the week (Sunday) . An enemy has done this! So if we choose to worship God on another day not commanded of Him, we are dishonoring our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Will you listen to Jesus and chose to worship Him on the 7th day (Saturday)? Remember it was Jesus who said..." If You Love Me....Keep My Commandments" Let's make sure that our loyalty & love is for Jesus and show it by obeying and trusting Him.[/u]

Beacon

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2019, 10:04:25 PM »
"The Sabbath was not for Israel merely, but for the world. It had been made known to man in Eden, and, like the other precepts of the Decalogue, it is of imperishable obligation. Of that law of which the fourth commandment forms a part, Christ declares, "Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in nowise pass from the law." So long as the heavens and the earth endure, the Sabbath will continue as a sign of the Creator's power. And when Eden shall bloom on earth again, God's holy rest day will be honored by all beneath the sun. "From one Sabbath to another" the inhabitants of the glorified new earth shall go up "to worship before Me, saith the Lord." Matthew 5:18; Isaiah 66:23."

Jesus said,  " If You Love Me -- Keep My Commandments " It is a covenant sign between each one of us and Jesus. If we chose not to obey we are showing and making known our disregard of and to our Creator.

"As the Jews departed from God, and failed to make the righteousness of Christ their own by faith, the Sabbath lost its significance to them. Satan was seeking to exalt himself and to draw men away from Christ, and he worked to pervert the Sabbath, because it is the sign of the power of Christ. The Jewish leaders accomplished the will of Satan by surrounding God's rest day with burdensome requirements. In the days of Christ the Sabbath had become so perverted that its observance reflected the character of selfish and arbitrary men rather than the character of the loving heavenly Father"

There is no text in the Bible indicating any command of Jesus which changed the 7th day Sabbath(Saturday) to the 1st day of the week (Sunday) . An enemy has done this! So if we choose to worship God on another day not commanded of Him, we are dishonoring our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Will you listen to Jesus and chose to worship Him on the 7th day (Saturday)? Remember it was Jesus who said..." If You Love Me....Keep My Commandments" Let's make sure that our loyalty & love is for Jesus and show it by obeying and trusting Him.[/u]
[/quote]

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2019, 08:35:20 AM »
Amen, Beacon! Let us find in the gift of the Sabbath the presence and power of Christ--for He is the one who makes us new creatures in Him who can delight in His seventh-day Sabbath of rest as a gift!

"All things were created by the Son of God. 'In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God. . . . All things were made by Him; and without Him was not anything made that was made.' John 1:1-3. And since the Sabbath is a memorial of the work of creation, it is a token of the love and power of Christ." {The Desire of Ages, page 281, paragraph 3}

I am so thankful for each Sabbath Jesus gives, as it is always a special time of fellowship with Him, ministry to others, time in His word, and enjoying the beauty of nature!

Dorine

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2019, 08:47:05 AM »
" No other institution which was committed to the Jews tended so fully to distinguish them from surrounding nations as did the Sabbath. God designed that its observance should designate them as His worshipers. It was to be a token of their separation from idolatry, and their connection with the true God. But in order to keep the Sabbath holy, men must themselves be holy. Through faith they must become partakers of the righteousness of Christ. When the command was given to Israel, "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy," the Lord said also to them, "Ye shall be holy men unto Me." Exodus 20:8;  22:31. Only thus could the Sabbath distinguish Israel as the worshipers of God." 

What influence do we have to the world if we advocate and preach the Sabbath but we live contrary to the principles of God's character? Are we dependable, honest, pure in thought and actions, patient, kind, gentle? Do we have self-control? The fruit of the Spirit is a witness to who we really are. The Sabbath is a precious gift but if we are not living examples of God's grace what good will it do to say we are Sabbath keepers.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2019, 11:13:26 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine.  I was impressed with something I had not really noticed in the past.  Jesus compares the Sabbath to the sacrifices in the sanctuary and its services. It took a little bit of meditating to understand better what this means.

Jesus did not let the matter pass without administering a rebuke to His enemies. He declared that in their blindness they had mistaken the object of the Sabbath. He said, "If ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless." Matthew 12:7. Their many heartless rites could not supply the lack of that truthful integrity and tender love which will ever characterize the true worshiper of God.
     Again Christ reiterated the truth that the sacrifices were in themselves of no value. They were a means, and not an end. Their object was to direct men to the Saviour, and thus to bring them into harmony with God. It is the service of love that God values. When this is lacking, the mere round of ceremony is an offense to Him. So with the Sabbath. It was designed to bring men into communion with God; but when the mind was absorbed with wearisome rites, the object of the Sabbath was thwarted. Its mere outward observance was a mockery.

"Sacrifices were in themselves of no value." "They were a means, and not an end." "So with the Sabbath. It was designed to bring men into communion with God; but when the mind was absorbed with wearisome rites, the object of the Sabbath was thwarted. Its mere outward observance was a mockery."  What a thought!

The Sabbath was to bring us into communion with God. It was a reminder of who God is and what He has done for us, His love. It is also a reminder that He is the Creator God. He created the heaven and Earth forus. What power!! This ought to cause us to fall down and worship Him. Thus, the Sabbath is like the sacrifices in that they are pointing us to the One who is altogether lovely and will recreate us in His image IF we will cooperate with Him. Unlike Adam who He could create with ease, not so with fallen man. Nor is it possible for God to keep unfallen angels from sinning unless they cooperate with Him. Thus, again, the Sabbath is to lead us to an understanding of our God and to remind us each week who we are and who He is. Such powerful truth that we shall be reminded of every seven days for eternity, by God's grace. Let us remember the Sabbath Day!

Beacon

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2019, 05:49:24 PM »
How wonderful it is --- Just think we have another opportunity to reflect on God's blessing found in this chapter of the Desire of Ages while today "IS" also the Sabbath of the Lord Our God.

"No other institution which was committed to the Jews tended so fully to distinguish them from surrounding nations as did the Sabbath. God designed that its observance should designate them as His worshipers. It was to be a token of their separation from idolatry, and their connection with the true God. But in order to keep the Sabbath holy, men must themselves be holy. Through faith they must become partakers of the righteousness of Christ. When the command was given to Israel, “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy,” the Lord said also to them, “Ye shall be holy men unto Me.” Exodus 20:8; 22:31. Only thus could the Sabbath distinguish Israel as the worshipers of God."

Gods's Word has a wonderful promise recorded in the book of Isaiah 58:12-14 (King James Version (KJV)

"12 And they that shall be of thee shall build the old waste places: thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in.

13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honorable; and shalt honor him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:

14 Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it."

Today God is in need of those who are willing to be " Repairer's of the Breach " To serve as Godly Examples in a church that Satan is attacking with all his might. We are called to stand of Watchmen on the Walls of Zion. " By honoring the Sabbath of the Lord our God as it should be honored we are testifying of our Love and Loyalty to the One who His life for us on Calvary. "

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2019, 01:23:56 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! It is so wonderful that we get to reflect on the blessing of the Sabbath ON the Sabbath day!!

It is so refreshing to enjoy the cool of the day with Jesus. As the Lord woke me up early this morning on the final Sabbath of the Michigan Camp Meeting, I am encouraged and blessed to contemplate the way the Son of God first communed with Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, and how through Christ that fellowship is being restored in such a healing, beautiful way!

"The Sabbath calls our thoughts to nature, and brings us into communion with the Creator. In the song of the bird, the sighing of the trees, and the music of the sea, we still may hear His voice who talked with Adam in Eden in the cool of the day. And as we behold His power in nature we find comfort, for the word that created all things is that which speaks life to the soul. He 'who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.' 2 Corinthians 4:6." {The Desire of Ages, page 281, paragraph 4}

As the Lord woke me up, the first passage He put on my heart to read was Isaiah 43. The Holy Spirit really impressed me with these precious verses:

"I will say to the north, Give up; and to the south, Keep not back: bring my sons from far, and my daughters from the ends of the earth; Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him" (Isaiah 43:6-7).

God brings people from so many different places of the world to worship together, to enjoy relationships that reflect His glory, expressing His image. We were made to glorify God and He loves to have us enjoy the Sabbath as a time for holy fellowship with Him and all who are responding to that healing invitation of rest, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light" (Matthew 11:28-30). The heart that rests most fully upon Christ will be most earnest and active in labor for Him, and this has truly been the most restful Camp Meeting experience I have ever had (this is my sixth time being at the Michigan Camp Meeting, as I have attended from 2014 until now), and I am so elated to be with Jesus and His people today!!!