Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--22--Imprisonment and Death of John  (Read 17120 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--22--Imprisonment and Death of John
« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2022, 11:53:46 AM »
It is encouraging to know that even John had times when he did not understand what was happening
in His life. Things do not always go like we think they should.

To the desert prophet all this seemed a mystery beyond his fathoming. There were hours when the whisperings of demons tortured his spirit, and the shadow of a terrible fear crept over him. Could it be that the long-hoped-for Deliverer had not yet appeared? Then what meant the message that he himself had been impelled to bear? John had been bitterly disappointed in the result of his mission. He had expected that the message from God would have the same effect as when the law was read in the days of Josiah and of Ezra (2 Chronicles 34; Nehemiah 8, 9); that there would follow a deep-seated work of repentance and returning unto the Lord.

It is also a great blessing to understand that we are honored to share in the sufferings of our Savior.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2023, 06:14:13 PM »
Happy Sabbath!! There's always more with Jesus!! John the Baptist had an important ministry to point people to Jesus, but there was still so much more that he did not understand! As we look to Christ and abide in His love, surrendering all we have and are to Him, He unites us to His grace so we can overcome sin and be ready for the future, immortal life!

"The prophet John was the connecting link between the two dispensations. As God's representative he stood forth to show the relation of the law and the prophets to the Christian dispensation. He was the lesser light, which was to be followed by a greater. The mind of John was illuminated by the Holy Spirit, that he might shed light upon his people; but no other light ever has shone or ever will shine so clearly upon fallen man as that which emanated from the teaching and example of Jesus. Christ and His mission had been but dimly understood as typified in the shadowy sacrifices. Even John had not fully comprehended the future, immortal life through the Saviour." {The Desire of Ages, page 220, paragraph 2}

What a joy it is to walk with Christ and look forward to what is to come! Yet in this life we can grasp by faith the experience of being a new creature in Christ as He manifests through us all of the traits of His divine nature without one missing, enabling us to affectionately obey God from the heart He renews!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2023, 08:07:10 PM »
"God never leads His children otherwise than they would choose to be led, if they could see the end from the beginning, and discern the glory of the purpose which they are fulfilling as co-workers with Him."

"Not Enoch, who was translated to heaven, not Elijah, who ascended in a chariot of fire, was greater or more honored than John the Baptist, who perished alone in the dungeon."

"'Unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on Him, but also to suffer for His sake.' Philippians 1:29."

"Of all the gifts that Heaven can bestow upon men, fellowship with Christ in His sufferings is the most weighty trust and the highest honor."

How many of "US"  think about suffering because of our love for Jesus as being..."The weightiest  trust and the highest honor.?? ...According to the "Voice of the Martyrs" In their reports from various locations around this world, many people right now are being tortured and being killed for their faith in Jesus almost every day. With our strong belief that the "End Times" of earth's history are upon us are we "READY & WILLING"??

=======================
O Jesus, I have promised
  To serve Thee to the end;
Be Thou forever near me,
  My Master and my Friend;
I shall not fear the battle
  If Thou art by my side,
Nor wander from the pathway
  If Thou wilt be my Guide.
Oh, let me feel Thee near me;
  The world is ever near;
I see the sights that dazzle,
  The tempting sounds I hear;
My foes are ever near me,
  Around me and within;
But, Jesus, draw Thou nearer,
  And shield my soul from sin.
Oh, let me hear Thee speaking,
  In accents clear and still,
Above the storms of passion,
  The murmurs of self-will;
Oh, speak to reassure me,
  To hasten, or control;
Oh, speak, and make me listen,
  Thou Guardian of my soul.
O Jesus, Thou hast promised
  To all who follow Thee
That where Thou art in glory
  There shall Thy servant be;
And Jesus, I have promised
  To serve Thee to the end;
Oh, give me grace to follow,
  My Master and my Friend.
Oh, let me see Thy footmarks,
  And in them plant mine own;
My hope to follow duty
  Is in Thy strength alone.
Oh, guide me, call me, draw me,
  Uphold me to the end;
And then to rest receive me,
  My Savior and my Friend.

Lyrics:John Ernest Bode (1816-1874)
Music:Arthur Henry Mann (1850-1929)

Look up and listen for the shout.

Dorine

« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2023, 06:43:46 AM »
"Though no miraculous deliverance was granted John, he was not forsaken. He had always the companionship of heavenly angels, who opened to him the prophecies concerning Christ, and the precious promises of Scripture. These were his stay, as they were to be the stay of God's people through the coming ages. To John the Baptist, as to those that came after him, was given the assurance, "Lo, I am with you all the days, even unto the end." Matthew 28:20, R. V., margin.
    God never leads His children otherwise than they would choose to be led, if they could see the end from the beginning, and discern the glory of the purpose which they are fulfilling as co-workers with Him. Not Enoch, who was translated to heaven, not Elijah, who ascended in a chariot of fire, was greater or more honored than John the Baptist, who perished alone in the dungeon. "Unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on Him, but also to suffer for His sake." Philippians 1:29. And of all the gifts that Heaven can bestow upon men, fellowship with Christ in His sufferings is the most weighty trust and the highest honor."
Happy Sabbath. What an uplifting and encouraging end to this chapter.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2023, 08:48:09 AM »
It seems that making a post is an easy thing, but there are only so many hours in a day.  :)  Yesterday there were great blessings and it was a full Sabbath. This post is one that will often be repeated, for it is vital that our people understand God will not only allow great trials, He will measure out a test for us each day. It is the manner in which we grow in strength of character. And, it is an honor to partake in the sufferings of our Lord and Savior. It is a hard lesson  to learn, but there is great joy in learning it. My dear friends here understand as seen by their posts.

God never leads His children otherwise than they would choose to be led, if they could see the end from the beginning, and discern the glory of the purpose which they are fulfilling as co-workers with Him. Not Enoch, who was translated to heaven, not Elijah, who ascended in a chariot of fire, was greater or more honored than John the Baptist, who perished alone in the dungeon. "Unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on Him, but also to suffer for His sake." Philippians 1:29. And of all the gifts that Heaven can bestow upon men, fellowship with Christ in His sufferings is the most weighty trust and the highest honor.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #105 on: April 02, 2023, 10:02:29 PM »
"God never leads His children otherwise than they would choose to be led, if they could see the end from the beginning, and discern the glory of the purpose which they are fulfilling as co-workers with Him."

"Not Enoch, who was translated to heaven, not Elijah, who ascended in a chariot of fire, was greater or more honored than John the Baptist, who perished alone in the dungeon."

"Unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on Him, but also to suffer for His sake." Philippians 1:29."

"Of all the gifts that Heaven can bestow upon men, fellowship with Christ in His sufferings is the most weighty trust and the highest honor."

The Big Question is.....Will "OUR" Anchor Hold in the time of the Storms of Life?

==============================
Will your anchor hold in the storms of life,
When the clouds unfold their wings of strife?
When the strong tides lift, and the cables strain,
Will your anchor drift or firm remain?
    We have an anchor that keeps the soul
Stedfast and sure while the billows roll,
Fastened to the Rock which cannot move,
  Grounded firm and deep in the Savior’s love.
It is safely moored, ’twill the storm withstand,
For ’tis well secured by the Savior’s hand;
And the cables passed from His heart to mine,
Can defy the blast, through strength divine.
It will firmly hold in the straits of fear,
When the breakers have told the reef is near;
Though the tempest rave and the wild winds blow,
Not an angry wave shall our bark o’erflow.
It will surely hold in the floods of death,
When the waters cold chill our latest breath;
On the rising tide it can never fail,
While our hopes abide within the veil.

Lyrics:Priscilla Jane Owens (1829-1907)
Music:William James Kirkpatrick (1838-1921)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2023, 05:42:43 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon!  Israel of Old was not ready to receive this message of suffering, neither is modern day Israel. Are we ready to partake in His sufferings?

The disciples came to Jesus with their message, "Art Thou He that should come, or do we look for another?" 

Jesus reproved John. A lack of understanding the gospel message was due to the teachings of the leaders in Israel. It had even perverted the understanding that the "Lamb" had to die. John thought that Jesus was going to rule from an earthly throne.

The Saviour's words, "Blessed is he, whosoever shall find none occasion of stumbling in Me," were a gentle reproof to John. It was not lost upon him. Understanding more clearly now the nature of Christ's mission, he yielded himself to God for life or for death, as should best serve the interests of the cause he loved.

A lack of understanding the gospel did not stop John from being converted. He loved the Lord our God with His whole heart. So it is today. There will be some Mormons, Catholics, Baptists, Muslims, Hindus, and even some Israelites, both Old and New in heaven  even though they did not understand the gospel message or keep the Sabbath.

"Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist."

The most difficult lesson to learn is one that is unwelcomed to many who profess to love God supremely.

"Unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on Him, but also to suffer for His sake." Philippians 1:29. And of all the gifts that Heaven can bestow upon men, fellowship with Christ in His sufferings is the most weighty trust and the highest honor.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2023, 08:02:29 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

And praise God, Brother Richard, that while people from so many various backgrounds--Mormons, Catholics, Baptists, Muslims, Hindus, and even some Israelites--as they yielded the heart to what God had revealed to them and were converted, even with limited understanding of truth, God will bring many into His kingdom whose hearts His Spirit had changed. Oh, let us more fully appreciate the gift of salvation and the joy of getting to be both converted and also enjoy the blessing of understanding the present truth for this time! Let us trust God's leading in our lives!

"God never leads His children otherwise than they would choose to be led, if they could see the end from the beginning, and discern the glory of the purpose which they are fulfilling as co-workers with Him. Not Enoch, who was translated to heaven, not Elijah, who ascended in a chariot of fire, was greater or more honored than John the Baptist, who perished alone in the dungeon. 'Unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on Him, but also to suffer for His sake.' Philippians 1:29. And of all the gifts that Heaven can bestow upon men, fellowship with Christ in His sufferings is the most weighty trust and the highest honor." {The Desire of Ages, page 224, paragraph 5}

Instead of avoiding the trials that are so often a source of great difficulty in the Christian life, let us embrace what God is seeking to teach us in and through them. From the death of John the Baptist we can learn that God is faithful even when Satan seems to get a supposed victory. We will need to remember clearly the goodness of God that will help sustain those who live in these last days and will go through the time of trouble just before the return of Christ. In all things, God's overruling providence is manifest and His goodness never changes, even when every earthly resource is cut off. God will be with His people to the end. May we not only be fully surrendered to Christ now, but also surrender fully to Him each day so that He can manifest through us all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing as we are gladly obedient to all of the light of His law that He has revealed to us! Praise God for the overarching providence of God in all things both for this life and for the life to come!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2023, 06:25:04 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean!  Why waste an opportunity to glorify God!

Satan was permitted to cut short the earthly life of God's messenger; but that life which "is hid with Christ in God," the destroyer could not reach. Colossians 3:3. He exulted that he had brought sorrow upon Christ, but he had failed of conquering John. Death itself only placed him forever beyond the power of temptation. In this warfare, Satan was revealing his own character. Before the witnessing universe he made manifest his enmity toward God and man......

God never leads His children otherwise than they would choose to be led, if they could see the end from the beginning, and discern the glory of the purpose which they are fulfilling as co-workers with Him. Not Enoch, who was translated to heaven, not Elijah, who ascended in a chariot of fire, was greater or more honored than John the Baptist, who perished alone in the dungeon. "Unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on Him, but also to suffer for His sake." Philippians 1:29. And of all the gifts that Heaven can bestow upon men, fellowship with Christ in His sufferings is the most weighty trust and the highest honor.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2023, 10:25:59 AM »
Amen, Brother Richard! God knows what is best for the glory of His name and for our eternal good and the eternal good of others! He is trustworthy!

Trust God even when life doesn’t make sense—and look to Jesus to see that He suffered to save us, so we can also suffer and be strong as we abide in His eternal kingdom! All of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be revealed in our lives—even in severe trial—as long as we abide in Jesus! Let’s choose to be happy, peaceful and obedient by His grace!

“To many minds a deep mystery surrounds the fate of John the Baptist. They question why he should have been left to languish and die in prison. The mystery of this dark providence our human vision cannot penetrate; but it can never shake our confidence in God when we remember that John was but a sharer in the sufferings of Christ. All who follow Christ will wear the crown of sacrifice. They will surely be misunderstood by selfish men, and will be made a mark for the fierce assaults of Satan. It is this principle of self-sacrifice that his kingdom is established to destroy, and he will war against it wherever manifested.” {The Desire of Ages, page 223, paragraph 4}

Beacon

« Reply #110 on: September 23, 2023, 09:11:49 PM »
"John had been bitterly disappointed in the result of his mission."[/color

"He had expected that the message from God would have the same effect as when the law was read in the days of Josiah and of Ezra (2 Chronicles 34; Nehemiah 8, 9); that there would follow a deep-seated work of repentance and returning unto the Lord."

"For the success of this mission his whole life had been sacrificed."

"Had it been in vain?"

"To the desert prophet all this seemed a mystery beyond his fathoming."

"There were hours when the whispering of demons tortured his spirit, and the shadow of a terrible fear crept over him."

"Could it be that the long-hoped-for Deliverer had not yet appeared?"

"Then what meant the message that he himself had been impelled to bear?

"John had been bitterly disappointed in the result of his mission."

I'm sure that many who have born witness for Jesus under very difficult circumstances have experienced the same feelings of doubt and disappointment and many have even been tortured and killed but...

We need to remember that Jesus does not guarantee a Smooth Flight throughout our earthly journey, However,...He does guarantee a Smooth Successful Landing on the Heavenly Shores to those who remain faithful to Him.

May God grant us to the same courage as John!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2023, 06:42:50 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon!!  The life of a Christian is one of a great battle. A battle that not only glorifies God, but it strengthens the character of all who love the Lord our God with the whole heart. God imparts His righteous character to the truly converted Christian. And, through obedience which becomes a habit, the Christian's life is sanctified to a higher and higher reflection of our Savior.  Therefore we glory in our tribulation knowing it works for our good and God's glory.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2023, 12:03:01 PM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Brother Richard!!

Let God lead.

"God never leads His children otherwise than they would choose to be led, if they could see the end from the beginning, and discern the glory of the purpose which they are fulfilling as co-workers with Him. Not Enoch, who was translated to heaven, not Elijah, who ascended in a chariot of fire, was greater or more honored than John the Baptist, who perished alone in the dungeon. 'Unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on Him, but also to suffer for His sake.' Philippians 1:29. And of all the gifts that Heaven can bestow upon men, fellowship with Christ in His sufferings is the most weighty trust and the highest honor." {The Desire of Ages, page 224, paragraph 5}

He has the best plan; when we accept God's will above our own, Christ leads us in true conversion manifest in all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing! We become obedient witnesses of His will to all in each and every trial!

Beacon

« Reply #113 on: December 19, 2023, 08:13:38 PM »
"Like the Saviour's disciples, John the Baptist did not understand the nature of Christ's kingdom. He expected Jesus to take the throne of David; and as time passed, and the Saviour made no claim to kingly authority, John became perplexed and troubled."

"He had declared to the people that in order for the way to be prepared before the Lord, the prophecy of Isaiah must be fulfilled; the mountains and hills must be brought low, the crooked made straight, and the rough places plain. He had looked for the high places of human pride and power to be cast down".

"He had pointed to the Messiah as the One whose fan was in His hand, and who would thoroughly purge His floor, who would gather the wheat into His garner, and burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire."

"Like the prophet Elijah, in whose spirit and power he had come to Israel, he looked for the Lord to reveal Himself as a God that answereth by fire."

"The Saviour's words, "Blessed is he, whosoever shall find none occasion of stumbling in Me," were a gentle reproof to John."

"It was not lost upon him. Understanding more clearly now, the nature of Christ's mission, he yielded himself to God for life or for death, as should best serve the interests of the cause he loved."

Are "WE" willing to yield ourselves to God for LIFE OR FOR DEATH??

=====================
Take my life, and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise.
Take my hands, and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love;
Take my feet and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee,
Swift and beautiful for Thee.
Take my voice, and let me sing
Always, only, for my King;
Take my lips, and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee,
Filled with messages from Thee.
Take my silver and my gold;
Not a mite would I withhold;
Take my intellect, and use
Every power as Thou shalt choose,
Every power as Thou shalt choose.
Take my will, and make it Thine;
It shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart; it is Thine own;
It shall be Thy royal throne,
It shall be Thy royal throne.
Take my love; my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure-store.
Take myself, and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee,
Ever, only, all for Thee.

Lyrics:Frances Ridley Havergal (1836-1879)
Music:Henri Abraham Cesar Malan (1787-1864)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #114 on: December 20, 2023, 04:09:22 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

How much do you trust God? With your whole heart? Because if you do, it means you accept that His leading is best, and may not look the way you thought. Through a full-heart surrender, it is the intimate union and communion with God in Christ, beholding the loveliness of Jesus in His selfless life and ministry, that makes it possible for the soul to bear each trial as an impetus for rejoicing, reflecting even more fully all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing. Even when it is very difficult to bear, God will enable His trusting children to remain obedient to all of His Ten Commandments. The faith of Jesus is inseparable from obedience to all the commandments of God, and such a supernatural experience is offered all who fully trust Christ. Let God lead you. It will be best!

Philip T

« Reply #115 on: December 20, 2023, 07:57:36 AM »
 The witness borne of him after his death, by those who had heard his testimony to Jesus, was, "John did no miracle: but all things that John spake of this Man were true." John 10:41. It was not given to John to call down fire from heaven, or to raise the dead, as Elijah did, nor to wield Moses' rod of power in the name of God. He was sent to herald the Saviour's advent, and to call upon the people to prepare for His coming. So faithfully did he fulfill his mission, that as the people recalled what he had taught them of Jesus, they could say, "All things that John spake of this Man were true." Such witness to Christ every disciple of the Master is called upon to bear.

What a lesson is here for us today, whatever mission or work is given us by God, we should hear people say of us what was said of John the Baptist mission as a fore runner to Jesus. May the same be said of us at the end of our mission/life. All that he did testified of Jesus.  Our life's testimony can be a powerful witness to Christ, and open other hearts to Jesus under the unction of the Holy Spirit.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #116 on: December 20, 2023, 07:23:13 PM »
Amen my dear brothers! Today's reading ought to encourage us that we can glory in our tribulation. And, it ought to help us see how successful Satan was in deceiving Israel about the gospel. Even John did not know Jesus had to suffer and die that he might be saved....as Brother Beacon has pointed out.

Yes, we surely do glory in our sufferings.