Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--7--As a Child  (Read 21860 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--7--As a Child
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2020, 03:49:05 AM »
Trials mean benefit. They keep us on guard. The fact that Jesus was placed in a very trying place should encourage us that while we live in a very trying time in earth's history, just before Jesus returns, that He will give us strength to meet the emergencies of our life experiences, grace to surrender the whole heart to Him and be in a converted, abiding union and communion with Him, and freedom to walk in affectionate obedience to Christ whereby all of the fruits of the Spirit are manifest in and through the life to the glory of God's name!

"Christ was the only sinless one who ever dwelt on earth; yet for nearly thirty years He lived among the wicked inhabitants of Nazareth. This fact is a rebuke to those who think themselves dependent upon place, fortune, or prosperity, in order to live a blameless life. Temptation, poverty, adversity, is the very discipline needed to develop purity and firmness." {The Desire of Ages, page 72, paragraph 2}

When we go through trials and difficulties, let us not forget the promise God has given us that will not fail: "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it" (1 Corinthians 10:13). Will you turn to Christ in every difficulty? As we do, we find Him growing us in His image and giving us the grace to bear the experiences of that day, that we may be more like our Savior!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2020, 04:54:28 AM »
"Every child may gain knowledge as Jesus did. As we try to become acquainted with our heavenly Father through His word, angels will draw near, our minds will be strengthened, our characters will be elevated and refined. We shall become more like our Saviour. And as we behold the beautiful and grand in nature, our affections go out after God. While the spirit is awed, the soul is invigorated by coming in contact with the Infinite through His works. Communion with God through prayer develops the mental and moral faculties, and the spiritual powers strengthen as we cultivate thoughts upon spiritual things."

Here are words to live by. We grow in grace each day as we follow the life and example of Jesus from childhood through youth and adulthood. He has plainly shown us the way.  There is a text that I have loved ever since I was a child. It drew me to Him in love and continues to do so.

Philippians 4:8,9--
8  Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise think on these things.
9  Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

As a child I wanted so much to be like Jesus. At the age of 3 I was given this text to recite. I remember it well. My father lifted me up on stage and I confidently recited it word for word. My understanding was very simple....if I think about good things Jesus will be with me and I will be like Him. It's so important to teach children when they are very young.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2020, 08:28:03 AM »
"Satan was unwearied in his efforts to overcome the Child of Nazareth. From His earliest years Jesus was guarded by heavenly angels, yet His life was one long struggle against the powers of darkness. That there should be upon the earth one life free from the defilement of evil was an offense and a perplexity to the prince of darkness. He left no means untried to ensnare Jesus. No child of humanity will ever be called to live a holy life amid so fierce a conflict with temptation as was our Saviour."

Sometimes, when we are tempted to feel like we've been deserted and forsaken by God and that the load we carry is too heavy and we're prone to complain that this life is just too hard to bear, let us reflected on the words found above and find renewed courage knowing that our Savior has trod the path before us.

"Christ was the only sinless one who ever dwelt on earth; yet for nearly thirty years He lived among the wicked inhabitants of Nazareth. This fact is a rebuke to those who think themselves dependent upon place, fortune, or prosperity, in order to live a blameless life. Temptation, poverty, adversity, is the very discipline needed to develop purity and firmness. "

Jesus invites each of to come to Him and find Strength and Power to live a Holy Life in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation. He is pleading with us through His Word 

Ezekiel 33:11...."Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?"
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2020, 03:24:17 AM »
Happy Sabbath! Today is Reformation Day, as in 1517 on October 31 Martin Luther nailed the 95 Theses to the church door in Wittenberg! The greatest reformation is to become like Jesus in mind and character! What a high privilege it is to be like Jesus! "But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of Him who hath called you out of darkness into His marvellous light" (1 Peter 2:9).

"As a child, Jesus manifested a peculiar loveliness of disposition. His willing hands were ever ready to serve others. He manifested a patience that nothing could disturb, and a truthfulness that would never sacrifice integrity. In principle firm as a rock, His life revealed the grace of unselfish courtesy." {The Desire of Ages, page 68, paragraph 3}

When we are abiding in Jesus by a living faith surrender, He renews our hearts and minds and fills us with all of the fruits of the Spirit; then the same peculiar loveliness of disposition we see in Jesus will be wrought out in our life and character! We can praise Him for His unspeakable gift of eternal life that begins now through union and communion with Christ!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2020, 04:45:32 AM »
"Christ was the only sinless one who ever dwelt on earth; yet for nearly thirty years He lived among the wicked inhabitants of Nazareth. This fact is a rebuke to those who think themselves dependent upon place, fortune, or prosperity, in order to live a blameless life. Temptation, poverty, adversity, is the very discipline needed to develop purity and firmness."

Jesus didn't go looking for these difficulties in order to develop character. All around Him; in the home, workplace, church and community were distractions and hardships that test a persons connection with God. Jesus passed all tests and shows that no matter where we are or what situation we find ourselves in we too may live a pure and holy life. By living a surrendered life in Jesus we too will receive divine power to live a holy and perfect life. Yes we are sinners but Jesus will keep us from sinning in the same way He was kept from sinning. God's love and grace patiently and longingly waits and woos until He has our whole heart.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2020, 05:34:15 AM »
"The parents of Jesus were poor, and dependent upon their daily toil. He was familiar with poverty, self-denial, and privation. This experience was a safeguard to Him. In His industrious life there were no idle moments to invite temptation. No aimless hours opened the way for corrupting associations."

"So far as possible, He closed the door to the tempter. Neither gain nor pleasure, applause nor censure, could induce Him to consent to a wrong act. He was wise to discern evil, and strong to resist it."

"Christ was the only sinless one who ever dwelt on earth; yet for nearly thirty years He lived among the wicked inhabitants of Nazareth. This fact is a rebuke to those who think themselves dependent upon place, fortune, or prosperity, in order to live a blameless life.

Temptation, poverty, adversity, is the very discipline needed to develop purity and firmness.
"

Sometimes, when we are tempted to feel like we've been deserted and forsaken by God and that the load we carry is too heavy and we're prone to complain that this life is just too hard to bear, let us reflected on the words found above and find renewed courage knowing that our Savior has trod the path before us.

Happy Sabbbath to all of God's family here on earth and throughout His entire universe.

Dorine

« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2021, 04:59:17 AM »
"Jesus was the fountain of healing mercy for the world; and through all those secluded years at Nazareth, His life flowed out in currents of sympathy and tenderness. The aged, the sorrowing, and the sin-burdened, the children at play in their innocent joy, the little creatures of the groves, the patient beasts of burden,--all were happier for His presence. He whose word of power upheld the worlds would stoop to relieve a wounded bird. There was nothing beneath His notice, nothing to which He disdained to minister."

This quote summarizes the precious character of Jesus that I love to dwell upon. It draws the heart like a magnet and shows us that we too while abiding in Him will have the same beautiful attributes. May our life today draw others to Christ so they too may know Him and enjoy the peace and contentment that He delivers to all that accept Him.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2021, 08:33:05 AM »
Amen dear sister dorine.

Every child may gain knowledge as Jesus did. As we try to become acquainted with our heavenly Father through His word, angels will draw near, our minds will be strengthened, our characters will be elevated and refined. We shall become more like our Saviour. And as we behold the beautiful and grand in nature, our affections go out after God. While the spirit is awed, the soul is invigorated by coming in contact with the Infinite through His works. Communion with God through prayer develops the mental and moral faculties, and the spiritual powers strengthen as we cultivate thoughts upon spirpitual things.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2021, 10:14:32 AM »
"Christ was the only sinless one who ever dwelt on earth; yet for nearly thirty years He lived among the wicked inhabitants of Nazareth. This fact is a rebuke to those who think themselves dependent upon place, fortune, or prosperity, in order to live a blameless life.

Temptation, poverty, adversity, is the very discipline needed to develop purity and firmness. "

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2021, 06:00:04 AM »
Amen, dear friends in the Lord!

Real greatness can dispense with all outward show, as we see in the life of Jesus! The purity and simplicity of His character allowed Him complete freedom to do the will of His Father, manifesting all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing and living the law of God out of an intelligent appreciation of His Father's beneficent character! Surrendered fully to Christ, we may partake of the same experience!

"Yet Jesus shunned display. During all the years of His stay in Nazareth, He made no exhibition of His miraculous power. He sought no high position and assumed no titles. His quiet and simple life, and even the silence of the Scriptures concerning His early years, teach an important lesson. The more quiet and simple the life of the child,--the more free from artificial excitement, and the more in harmony with nature,--the more favorable is it to physical and mental vigor and to spiritual strength." {The Desire of Ages, page 74, paragraph 3} 

May we value what heaven values and dispense with that which will not transfer over to our experience in heaven. Now is the time to behold Jesus and become more like Him!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2021, 06:42:58 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. We are seeing that God would have us spend time in nature, especially with the children. We are given time to do this every week on the Sabbath. But, how much better to live in the country and spend time in a garden every day!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Philip T

« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2021, 08:20:36 AM »
  Every child may gain knowledge as Jesus did. As we try to become acquainted with our heavenly Father through His word, angels will draw near, our minds will be strengthened, our characters will be elevated and refined. We shall become more like our Saviour. And as we behold the beautiful and grand in nature, our affections go out after God. While the spirit is awed, the soul is invigorated by coming in contact with the Infinite through His works. Communion with God through prayer develops the mental and moral faculties, and the spiritual powers strengthen as we cultivate thoughts upon spiritual things,[/b]

Every  child(we are all Children of God when we believe on Him) main gain knowledge as Jesus did. As we study Gods creation, and contemplate upon it, we see Gods power, love, and it shines light upon his written word. Like Jesus example throughout his life of earth would withdraw and pray in quiet in nature. This points out the necessity of prayer as it will strengthen out physical, mental and spiritual abilities. I know I have a need of more time in prayer, it needs to be one of the priorities in our lives. Is it?

Beacon

« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2021, 08:01:47 PM »
"The parents of Jesus were poor, and dependent upon their daily toil. He was familiar with poverty, self-denial, and privation.

"This experience was a safeguard to Him."

"In His industrious life there were no idle moments to invite temptation. No aimless hours opened the way for corrupting associations."

"So far as possible, He closed the door to the tempter. Neither gain nor pleasure, applause nor censure, could induce Him to consent to a wrong act. He was wise to discern evil, and strong to resist it."

"Christ was the only sinless one who ever dwelt on earth; yet for nearly thirty years He lived among the wicked inhabitants of Nazareth. This fact is a rebuke to those who think themselves dependent upon place, fortune, or prosperity, in order to live a blameless life."

"Temptation, poverty, adversity, is the very discipline needed to develop purity and firmness "

When we are faced with Temptation, Poverty and Adversity let us ...Turn our eyes upon Jesus - Look Full in His Wonderful face and the things of earth will grow strangely dim -- In the Light of His Glory and Grace.

Philip T

« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2021, 07:25:13 AM »
  Jesus carried into His labor cheerfulness and tact. It requires much patience and spirituality to bring Bible religion into the home life and into the workshop, to bear the strain of worldly business, and yet keep the eye single to the glory of God.[/b] This is where Christ was a helper. He was never so full of worldly care as to have no time or thought for heavenly things. Often He expressed the gladness of His heart by singing psalms and heavenly songs. Often the dwellers in Nazareth heard His voice raised in praise and thanksgiving to God. He held communion with heaven in song; and as His companions complained of weariness from labor, they were cheered by the sweet melody from His lips. His praise seemed to banish the evil angels, and, like incense, fill the place with fragrance. The minds of His hearers were
carried away from their earthly exile, to the heavenly home.   
[/color]

Jesus is our example, here we see He brought love, kindness, caring, to every aspect of his earthly life.  He stayed focused on His Father, in every aspect of his life here  on earth. To grow spiritually and care for others, we need to not only read and understand the scriptures, We need to put Jesus first, dwell on him throughout our lives, put what we learn into action that others may see Jesus love shinning through us.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2021, 07:55:37 AM »
Praise the Lord, Brother Beacon and Brother Philip for these posts you have shared!

Why did Jesus receive grace in His earthly life?

Throughout His life on earth, Jesus was an earnest and constant worker. He expected much; therefore He attempted much. After He had entered on His ministry, He said, "I must work the works of Him that sent Me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work." John 9:4. Jesus did not shirk care and responsibility, as do many who profess to be His followers. It is because they seek to evade this discipline that so many are weak and inefficient. They may possess precious and amiable traits, but they are nerveless and almost useless when difficulties are to be met or obstacles surmounted. The positiveness and energy, the solidity and strength of character, manifested in Christ are to be developed in us, through the same discipline that He endured. And the grace that He received is for us.

Jesus received grace to give to us. We are never called to "go it alone" without Jesus first living the life He calls us to live and then by His grace empowers us to be able to experience! When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives--not one will be missing! That grace to have that kind of converted character experience in true obedience to the Ten Commandments is only possible through Christ!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2021, 05:46:20 PM »
What great light parents are given in this chapter!  I started to quote a paragraph and could not stop. It kept getting better and better.   :)

The question asked during the Saviour's ministry, "How knoweth this man letters, having never learned?" does not indicate that Jesus was unable to read, but merely that He had not received a rabbinical education. John 7:15. Since He gained knowledge as we may do, His intimate acquaintance with the Scriptures shows how diligently His early years were given to the study of God's word. And spread out before Him was the great library of God's created works. He who had made all things studied the lessons which His own hand had written in earth and sea and sky. Apart from the unholy ways of the world, He gathered stores of scientific knowledge from nature. He studied the life of plants and animals, and the life of man. From His earliest years He was possessed of one purpose; He lived to bless others. For this He found resources in nature; new ideas of ways and means flashed into His mind as He studied plant life and animal life. Continually He was seeking to draw from things seen illustrations by which to present the living oracles of God. The parables by which, during His ministry, He loved to teach His lessons of truth show how open His spirit was to the influences of nature, and how He had gathered the spiritual teaching from the surroundings of His daily life.
     Thus to Jesus the significance of the word and the works of God was unfolded, as He was trying to understand the reason of things. Heavenly beings were His attendants, and the culture of holy thoughts and communings was His. From the first dawning of intelligence He was constantly growing in spiritual grace and knowledge of truth.
     Every child may gain knowledge as Jesus did. As we try to become acquainted with our heavenly Father through His word, angels will draw near, our minds will be strengthened, our characters will be elevated and refined. We shall become more like our Saviour. And as we behold the beautiful and grand in nature, our affections go out after God. While the spirit is awed, the soul is invigorated by coming in contact with the Infinite through His works. Communion with God through prayer develops the mental and moral faculties, and the spiritual powers strengthen as we cultivate thoughts upon spiritual things. 

Dorine

« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2021, 06:32:03 AM »
Jesus carried into His labor cheerfulness and tact. It requires much patience and spirituality to bring Bible religion into the home life and into the workshop, to bear the strain of worldly business, and yet keep the eye single to the glory of God. This is where Christ was a helper. He was never so full of worldly care as to have no time or thought for heavenly things. Often He expressed the gladness of His heart by singing psalms and heavenly songs. Often the dwellers in Nazareth heard His voice raised in praise and thanksgiving to God. He held communion with heaven in song; and as His companions complained of weariness from labor, they were cheered by the sweet melody from His lips. His praise seemed to banish the evil angels, and, like incense, fill the place with fragrance. The minds of His hearers were carried away from their earthly exile, to the heavenly home.   

What an example He was for us. This is such a beautiful chapter. I am always uplifted by reading it. It tells me that just as heavenly agencies diligently worked for and with Jesus they will do the same for us as we commit and surrender our lives to Jesus moment by moment, day by day.

Beacon

« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2021, 07:00:54 AM »
"The more quiet and simple the life of the child,--the more free from artificial excitement, and the more in harmony with nature,--the more favorable is it to physical and mental vigor and to spiritual strength."

"As we behold the beautiful and grand in nature, our affections go out after God. While the spirit is awed, the soul is invigorated by coming in contact with the Infinite through His works. Communion with God through prayer develops the mental and moral faculties, and the spiritual powers strengthen as we cultivate thoughts upon spiritual things."

"Temptation, poverty, adversity, is the very discipline needed to develop purity and firmness. "

Jesus invites each of us to come to Him and find Strength and Power to live a Holy Life in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation. He is pleading with us through His Word

Ezekiel 33:11...."Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?"

Philip T

« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2021, 08:11:36 AM »
  Wonderful in its significance is the brief record of His early life: "The child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon Him." In the sunlight of His Father's countenance, Jesus "increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man." Luke 2:52. His mind was active and penetrating, with a thoughtfulness and wisdom beyond His years. Yet His character was beautiful in its symmetry. The powers of mind and body developed gradually, in keeping with the laws of childhood.

When  read this chapter and Luke 2: 52, my mind is always brought to Luke 1:80 which is about John the Baptist, "And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, and was in the dessert till the day of his shewing unto Israel." it always crosses my mind both were educated by their parents, and must have been done in much the same manner, both communed in nature, one around Nazareth and the other in the dessert. With the same results that they grew and waxed strong in the spirit. This is an example to all parents, and lays out a blueprint for self education in children. If we would spend more time in prayer, in nature, in the written word, our minds would also wax strong in spirit.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2021, 08:54:04 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine, Brother Beacon and Brother Philip!

No one and nothing is unimportant to God. He is love, and cares intimately and infinitely for all He has made. As seen in the beautiful, perfect earthly life of Jesus, the Son of God who became flesh and dwelt among us, we see a clear revelation of the character He is willing to live out through us today as we behold Him, yield our will to Him fully, and allow Him to give us a new heart and mind. Then all the fruits of the Spirit flow forth from our recreated inmost being as we abide in Him who loves us and gave Himself for us. Gladly we experience true heart obedience because Jesus' life is merged with our life, and we go forward in His providence to bless others!

"Jesus was the fountain of healing mercy for the world; and through all those secluded years at Nazareth, His life flowed out in currents of sympathy and tenderness. The aged, the sorrowing, and the sin-burdened, the children at play in their innocent joy, the little creatures of the groves, the patient beasts of burden,--all were happier for His presence. He whose word of power upheld the worlds would stoop to relieve a wounded bird. There was nothing beneath His notice, nothing to which He disdained to minister." {The Desire of Ages, page 74, paragraph 1}

May we see each experience around us as a ministry opportunity to reveal the loveliness of Jesus. No matter how fallen we are, His grace is sufficient to empower us to a life of obedience because we love Him who first loved us!